NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Bann Gun Ownership by Civilians

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Versus Militia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Bann Gun Ownership by Civilians

Postby Versus Militia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 am

BANN GUN OWNERSHIP BY CIVILIANS

COUNCIL: GENERAL ASSEMBLY
CATEGORY: GUN CONTROL
DECISION: TIGHTEN

XXX---XXX---XXX---XXX

Description: Gun ownership is not allowed to civilians and only used by military and police.

NOTING that anybody mentally healthy can own a gun which can lead to numerous crimes.

BELIEVING that guns should only be used by military and police.

FURTHER NOTING that without guns crimes will drop and incidents in public shouldn't harm anybody on long-range.

FURTHER BELIEVING that the military and police should use guns only for stopping a crime attempt and international incidents.

HEREBY:

1. Gun ownership is banned from civilians

2. Military and police members will use guns against others only in crime attempts and international incidents.

3. Owning a gun as a civilian will be punished with a 5 year sentence.

4. Police is allowed to carry only semi-automatic light guns.
My Political Views

Leaning towards right-wing.
    Social equality is only for damn communists.
    Conservative and capitalist.
    Low social freedom / moderate economic freedom.
    Basically an authorian right wing moralistic democracy.
If you don't really understand the Left-Right scale read my dispatch.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:49 am

OOC: You seem to have the basic structure of proposals and language sorted out, and your idea here is not obviously illegal. But this is not a popular political idea within the WA. This organization has been around, in one way or another, for about 12 years, and in all that time it has hardly ever legislated on gun control: the most it has done has been skirt around the edges, with issues like child firearm safety. Banning guns altogether would probably as be as politically unpopular as the fairly recent attempt to legalise all guns, which failed by a huge margin. Bear in mind a significant proportion - majority? - of the NS player base is North American, and that the politics of the site player base as a whole lean strongly libertarian on social issues.

I have a terrible recent record of predicting whether resolutions will pass or fail, but on this particular issue I feel reasonably confident in warning you that this will very likely be a doomed effort.

Versus Militia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Versus Militia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks a lot for the advice and I'll take notice of your opinion.
My Political Views

Rifty
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:10 am

I've got to agree - I can't see any gun banning proposals to ever pass. Far too many happy gun owners..

However gold star fir having the balls to try!
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:13 am

"Violently opposed. Gun ownership is common and encouraged in the C.D.S.P.. I fail to see how our law affects your nation at all. Ban guns in your nation and leave our policy the hell alone."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kingdom of Plembobria
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kingdom of Plembobria » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:15 am

The King of Plembobria rejects this heinous resolution.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 am

Overall as has been said before , you have the basic layout correct however something like this will never pass or likely even go to vote as people on N.S tend to live in North America and a fair number of them are very Libertarian in what they think. The World Assembly is filled with all sorts of different political ideas meaning that any single idea as dramatic is this will not pass as there are simply too many differing ideas to reach a single opinion on it. But again , good job with the physical form of it. Might be better off picking a less contested Real life (and NS ) topic that generally has very bitter ending because people go from being rational to being very dead set in their ways

In short you have the ICS's response.

"Molon Labe "
http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations.php?nation=Imperial+City-States
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

Unapologetically American
U.S Army

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:21 am

Bann. Lol.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:21 am

Gun Control, be it "relax" or "tighten", is about degrees of control (background checks, etc), not outright prohibition of ownership. That would be Moral Decency, since it would be removing a right or privilege (depending on how a nation views gun ownership). Further, Gun Control does not govern the use of firearms by police and military forces, only that of civilians.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

The Silver Bloods
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Bloods » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 am

I can't take you liberals serious anymore, spell ban right if you are gonna take away my guns :p

But anyway, this won't be passed in the WA, much too strict.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:23 am

Let's not bring this down to a political argument , this isn't the place for that. Overall the use of the form is correct it is just on a highly contested topic and some would argue that it's illegal in it's current form since it's outright banning rather than trying to put more regulation on.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

U.S Army

England-Ireland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby England-Ireland » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

I don't support
Prime minister: Wilson Churchill
The south Lebanon conflict- Victory
7th arvenian civil war- victory
VERMONTE strip war-victory [
2nd Lebanon conflict-Victory
'I'm 17 im conservative future Us marine history buff
SEMPER FIDELS THE PROUD THE FEW

McNernia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby McNernia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 am

Mcnernia will leave the WA if that happens.
Polaria
Erin Islands
Kaisong Islands
Al-Azkar
Rhodana
Eragh
Arisal
Kirav
Neu Engollon
New Edom: Clyde Hullar Ambassador
Aurora
Children of Aurora
A Luta Continua
Aneas
Tyrennia
Golgoth
Pardes
Cornellian Empire
Rostil
Sondria
Ajax
Astyria

Greater Dienstad
Minyang
Endorser of the Amistad Declaration
SIgnatory of the Amistad Declaration
IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY RPing, TG ME PLEASE, THANKS A BUNCH.
A Time of Trouble
All my posts shall be dedicated to Tom Clancy. May he Rest In Peace.
I Consider the above to be Canon. Which means I want to RP with you if you've been in those regions. Or Are.

Call me Archinia ICly and well maybe Mcnernia is plausible....I don't know.

Lore change?

The Silver Bloods
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Bloods » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:28 am

Mcnernia wrote:Mcnernia will leave the WA if that happens.

I was just thinking of that.. I'm with you ;)

Versus Militia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Versus Militia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:29 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Violently opposed. Gun ownership is common and encouraged in the C.D.S.P.. I fail to see how our law affects your nation at all. Ban guns in your nation and leave our policy the hell alone."

"If you're afraid of laws you don't like and they're about to be initialized in your nation, go ahead and resign from the World Assembly, a true WA Member should look and evaluate in a decent manner a proposal, my choice if I want to submit the proposal!"
My Political Views

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:30 am

Versus Militia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Violently opposed. Gun ownership is common and encouraged in the C.D.S.P.. I fail to see how our law affects your nation at all. Ban guns in your nation and leave our policy the hell alone."

"If you're afraid of laws you don't like and they're about to be initialized in your nation, go ahead and resign from the World Assembly, a true WA Member should look and evaluate in a decent manner a proposal, my choice if I want to submit the proposal!"

"No one is forcing anyone to do anything , this isn't even at a vote and likely won't ever get there. Keep it civil gentlemen "
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 am

Kryozerkia wrote:Gun Control, be it "relax" or "tighten", is about degrees of control (background checks, etc), not outright prohibition of ownership. That would be Moral Decency, since it would be removing a right or privilege (depending on how a nation views gun ownership).

What? Since when has it been the case that you can't use the category to ban guns to ban guns? That seems to flatly contradict previous statements, such as:
Ardchoille wrote:in theory it should mean that "RECOMMENDS that guns be banned" ... would make the proposal illegal as being too mild.

Is this another of the unappealable rulings, or can we ask for a second opinion?

The Silver Bloods
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Bloods » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 am

Versus Militia wrote:

I evaluated this proposal and I believe it is extremely flawed due to the fact that many nations on NationStates have guns legal, you can't ban them. If this goes through miraculously, I will be sure that I'm the first person to write the repeal resolution.

Versus Militia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Versus Militia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:36 am

Imperial City-States wrote:"No one is forcing anyone to do anything , this isn't even at a vote and likely won't ever get there. Keep it civil gentlemen "

"I understand your concerns but let us discuss this, perhaps debate this... right?! I'm not saying this proposal will reach the quorum but I'm just suggesting him to stop whining if he thinks the idea is bad. Everybody has their own opinion and if he thinks that everyone should agree to him always then he applied in the wrong place!"
My Political Views

Saint Brendans Island
Civilian

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Brendans Island » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:39 am

Amen

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:40 am

Versus Militia wrote:
Imperial City-States wrote:"No one is forcing anyone to do anything , this isn't even at a vote and likely won't ever get there. Keep it civil gentlemen "

"I understand your concerns but let us discuss this, perhaps debate this... right?! I'm not saying this proposal will reach the quorum but I'm just suggesting him to stop whining if he thinks the idea is bad. Everybody has their own opinion and if he thinks that everyone should agree to him always then he applied in the wrong place!"

" The main concerns with this are you're infringing on something a vast majority of nations within the WA view as a "right"/"Privilege" You provide absolutely no basis for your accusations in that a lack of firearms decreases crime. (look at Switzerland , More firearms , least crime in Europe ) Furthermore you're going on a whim of opinion and not providing any physical substance. On the other hand a simple loop-hole is readily available. In my nation everyone is required to serve in the Military for a term no greater than two years in order to be considered a citizen. And after their term is over they're put into "Reserves" so they're still technically military , boom loop hole. "
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:54 am

OOC:
Imperial City-States wrote:
Versus Militia wrote:look at Switzerland , More firearms , least crime in Europe )
Please don't drag Switzerland into this. The only reason why there are so many firearms there is that almost every adult male is part of the Army Reserve and regularly has to attend exercises and shooting practice. Also, while they all have their gun at home, they're not allowed to have any ammo there. Also RL isn't NS.

More OOC: DSR speaks the truth, as he so often does. This mod ruling is confusing as hell.

IC: There's an unpopular proposal, if I've ever seen one. The Confederacy of Louisistan would have to vote no on such a proposal. Although most of those provisions are already met in Louisistan we simply do not believe that the WA should legislate that radically on the gun issue.
Knight of TITO

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 am

Versus Militia wrote:

"I'm not afraid of laws, I'm questioning the legitimacy of this as an international issue. Private gun ownership has little, if any, instances of being an issue across borders, and is not such an extreme issue that requires international oversight. It's an issue national governments should handle. I put it to you to find any legitimate issues where C.D.S.P. firearms ownership affects your backwards nation, and to explain why you feel the need to dictate our national priorities to us? It's certainly not an issue of safety from crime, as the C.D.S.P. has incredibly relaxed gun laws, yet relatively low crime. I believe you've mixed up international issues with your own day-to-day governance, ambassador, and I kindly ask you to keep your filthy paws off our domestic policy, as this will simply not pass muster here."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Versus Militia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Versus Militia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 am

Any proposal basically dictates our nation because if it's passed we must abide it. We can vote of course but you can do also in my proposal right?
My Political Views

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:18 am

Versus Militia wrote:Any proposal basically dictates our nation because if it's passed we must abide it. We can vote of course but you can do also in my proposal right?

"There's no point. This will not pass for a wide number of reasons, and submitting it will simply waste your political capital and our time. I suggest you partake in the debates of other, more experienced drafters to gain some experience, ambassador, before delving into the very murky world of authoring resolutions. For all our sakes."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly