NATION

PASSWORD

[IDEA] Extradite or Prosecute

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

[IDEA] Extradite or Prosecute

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:49 am

Extradite or Prosecute
A resolution to blah blah blah
Category: International Security | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: TBD

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging its role in creating international law under the assumption that violators of such law will be held accountable,

Concerned that inconsistent prosecution of internationally recognised criminal acts creates a de facto gap in the coverage of international law,

Recognising aut dedere aut judicare ("either extradite or prosecute") as a legal principle by which states must initiate a prosecution where no other state intends to initiate an extradition,

Believing that adopting this principle will effectively close any loopholes that would otherwise limit the effectiveness of international law,

Declares:

1. Every nation shall, in accordance with their own internal procedures and subject to any relevant international law, establish their jurisdiction over any person in their territory against whom there exists sufficient evidence to bring a prosecution for any crime specified as such through active General Assembly resolutions, except where a legal extradition request for that person is in the process of being effected.
  2. The extraterritorial nature of the alleged crime shall not be a determining factor in assessing whether to proceed with a prosecution.
  3. Any nation in possession of evidence or testimony relating to a prosecution carried out in accordance with Article 1 of this Resolution shall be compelled to turn over that evidence or testimony to the nation conducting the prosecution at their request.
  4. Every nation shall maintain a single point of contact within their national justice system for processing such requests.
Clarifies:

1. Nothing in this resolution requires any nation to prosecute any person for acts not recognised as crimes in international law.
  2. Nothing in this resolution affects extradition rights.

This is from a discussion that came up elsewhere. It is a very rough draft, not even a draft yet and more of an idea.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:20 am, edited 11 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 am

OOC: elegant. I like it. Not being a lawyer, I have to profess ignorance on the subject and have some questions. This requires states to extend jurisdiction over anybody in their territory, but makes an exception for those subject to extradition request...it seems that those currently subject to said request are immune to prosecution, so states wishing to circumvent this could just indefinitely deliberate extradition. Am I way off base in seeing this loophole?

Also, just for clarity, does that protection end if a nation decides not to extradite, as mine would? If not, at what point does an individual stop being the subject for that request?

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:21 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: elegant. I like it. Not being a lawyer, I have to profess ignorance on the subject and have some questions. This requires states to extend jurisdiction over anybody in their territory, but makes an exception for those subject to extradition request...it seems that those currently subject to said request are immune to prosecution, so states wishing to circumvent this could just indefinitely deliberate extradition. Am I way off base in seeing this loophole?

Also, just for clarity, does that protection end if a nation decides not to extradite, as mine would? If not, at what point does an individual stop being the subject for that request?

Yes, most loopholes cannot really be closed by just saying "also you can't exploit the loophole", so this kind of problem was inevitable.

Nonetheless, my interpretation would be that once you've decided not to pursue an extradition, there is no longer an extradition request, and so the mandate comes back into force. To avoid the limbo you've described of requesting extradition but then never effecting it, the exception could be reworded a bit: "where they intend to extradite", "where an extradition is in process", or simply, "where that person will be extradited" might all work better.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 am

Find an English alternative to the Latin phrasing. The usage and explanation in the preamble is perfectly fine, but this isn't like Habeas corpus or ex post facto, where the common reader has at least some understanding of what the phrase means.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:45 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Find an English alternative to the Latin phrasing.

OOC: We can only hope, what with it being legal and all... :roll: I really can't see the fascination of using a half-dead language Latin Legalese for the titles, when the text supposedly isn't aimed at lawyers only.

...or, less wordily, agreeing with Kenny.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:48 pm

Joshua wakes up after a long nap. He randomly walks into the first debate hall which looks interesting.

"I like the idea. Will probably make some contributions tomorrow."
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:58 pm

I like the concept. My main concern with this would be contradiction with diplomatic immunity - but this is something that should be worked out rather than be tossed.

FTR: Diplomat Protection Act

I'd recommend having a clause requiring nations to investigate and prosecute diplomats sent by their own government, if that can be done legally.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:I like the concept. My main concern with this would be contradiction with diplomatic immunity - but this is something that should be worked out rather than be tossed.

Thank you for that attitude: I would obviously rather work out kinks in the text, which I admit is a rough draft. But, I feel obligated to point out that this proposal would completely contradict your proposal.
Moronist Decisions wrote:I'd recommend having a clause requiring nations to investigate and prosecute diplomats sent by their own government, if that can be done legally.

I think the better way would be to add an exception for any immunities recognised by international law, which obviously includes anyone afforded diplomatic immunity but doesn't cover anyone for whom diplomatic immunity would be revoked.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:I'd recommend having a clause requiring nations to investigate and prosecute diplomats sent by their own government, if that can be done legally.

"The DPA only applies to the nation in which the diplomat is serving; expelling them allows for the home nation to prosecute them under this potential law. However, since protection from prosecution isn't explicitly spelled out in the Diplomat Protection Act, this may not actually contradict it. It only assures diplomatic immunity for those sent to the WA, which no single nation has jurisdiction over anyways, I would think. GAR#22 is really a very poorly written law..."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:01 pm

I like it, criminal law is something of a topic I'd consider myself somewhat knowledged on. It's simple, straight to the point, covers the basic requirements of what extradition requires ie; mutual laws enacted in the relevant states. It's a good call. It might be premature in one aspect though but I'm not sure it's a fatal blow but still worth considering.

The text states that a nation must either extradite or prosecute, prosecuting where no extraiditon request has been made, or no intention declared. But lets consider a nation playing the long game. They've a case for a certain charge to be made, but are either invesitgating it more thoroughly or investigating other things in relation to the individual in tandem with their absconding. This delay between an extradition request, may actually be intentional. Would this lead to premature prosecutions where stronger cases may/could have been made to all run concurrent?
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 pm

I believe this is something I can get behind....

Conditional support at this time.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 am

Abacathea wrote:The text states that a nation must either extradite or prosecute, prosecuting where no extraiditon request has been made, or no intention declared. But lets consider a nation playing the long game. They've a case for a certain charge to be made, but are either invesitgating it more thoroughly or investigating other things in relation to the individual in tandem with their absconding. This delay between an extradition request, may actually be intentional. Would this lead to premature prosecutions where stronger cases may/could have been made to all run concurrent?

This is something I was considering, not specifically relating to extradition, but also to avoiding double jeopardy. As I interpret this, the mandate only applies where there exists "sufficient evidence to bring a prosecution", so in that sense, it doesn't really matter: if a nation genuinely doesn't have enough evidence yet but is pursuing an extradition, then there is no requirement to initiate such a prosecution anyway. But, I would like to make sure the wording doesn't force premature prosecutions, so I will look into rewording this.

Artainias
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Artainias » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:11 am

What if someone violates a law before it became a law. Will they get punished for doing something before it became illegal? Besides that i could really get behind an idea like that.
Last edited by Artainias on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:15 am

Artainias wrote:What if someone violates a law before it became a law. Will they get punished for doing something before it became illegal? Besides that i could really get behind an idea like that.

Nope. See "Ban on Ex Post Facto Laws"
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:02 am

Just to make it clear for me, this only applies to international (WA) law? I assume that Krioval would not be required to prosecute/extradite an individual who has not committed an act that is a crime in Krioval. Can the WA, collectively, make a prosecute/extradite request? Also, how does this interact with members and representatives of sovereign governments? Can nations be required to turn over their leaders for violating WA resolutions through intentional noncompliance? If so, who can make the request?

All in all, this is an interesting topic for legislation. The Imperial Chiefdom will continue to monitor its development carefully.

Tau Kriov
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:33 am

Krioval wrote:Just to make it clear for me, this only applies to international (WA) law?

Yes.
Krioval wrote:Can the WA, collectively, make a prosecute/extradite request?

I have no idea. However, this resolution doesn't create or abolish any such mechanism.
Krioval wrote:Also, how does this interact with members and representatives of sovereign governments? Can nations be required to turn over their leaders for violating WA resolutions through intentional noncompliance? If so, who can make the request?

From the use of "turn over", all of this seems to be about extradition, which is already covered by Extradition Rights (and which exempts crimes of a political nature). Other than that, any immunities recognised by the WA are exempted from this resolution, and any immunities not recognised by the WA are not.

Casternon
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Casternon » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:51 pm

I appreciate the concept, however I do have a question. Suppose a nation in X region committed a crime in X region according to the Charter, Constitution, etc of X region, could this law be expanded so that X region has jurisdiction to extradite said nation from Y region if said nation fled knowing they were in violation/under criminal investigation? It seems the spectrum of the proposal is highly subjective.

Aside from that, your proposal seems acceptable. Conditional support at this point.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Casternon wrote:I appreciate the concept, however I do have a question. Suppose a nation in X region committed a crime in X region according to the Charter, Constitution, etc of X region, could this law be expanded so that X region has jurisdiction to extradite said nation from Y region if said nation fled knowing they were in violation/under criminal investigation? It seems the spectrum of the proposal is highly subjective.

Aside from that, your proposal seems acceptable. Conditional support at this point.

"It could, but it would lose support. Not everybody is willing to extradite. Like us."

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:16 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Casternon wrote:I appreciate the concept, however I do have a question. Suppose a nation in X region committed a crime in X region according to the Charter, Constitution, etc of X region, could this law be expanded so that X region has jurisdiction to extradite said nation from Y region if said nation fled knowing they were in violation/under criminal investigation? It seems the spectrum of the proposal is highly subjective.

"It could, but it would lose support. Not everybody is willing to extradite. Like us."

Depending on wording, it's likely to also be an illegal contradiction of previously legislation. DSR has mentioned it above, but Extradition Rights may be worth a read-through for those players who are unfamiliar with it's existence.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Casternon
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Casternon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:

"I'm not implying that it would mandate extradition. It would merely grant extradition rights should a nation choose to go through with charges."

Mousebumples wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"It could, but it would lose support. Not everybody is willing to extradite. Like us."

Depending on wording, it's likely to also be an illegal contradiction of previously legislation. DSR has mentioned it above, but Extradition Rights may be worth a read-through for those players who are unfamiliar with it's existence.

"Thank you, I'll be sure to review this in order to make a more informed decision."
Last edited by Casternon on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:41 pm

I've reworked the operative section.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:50 am

OOC: Just a question, is there a reason why the thread title and the draft title in the first post do not match? One is in English and one in Latin.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:55 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Just a question, is there a reason why the thread title and the draft title in the first post do not match? One is in English and one in Latin.

I forgot to change it.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:12 am

I've worded the extradition clause a bit differently to try to close up the loophole.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Bump.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly