NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED]Access to Sea Ports

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should I submit this now?

Yes
8%
No, it needs more work
22%
Never submit this ever
70%

Total votes : 37

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Nucoclan wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Please don't. Your writing needs improvement in all areas, and your grasp on the subject matter is tenuous at best. I'm sorry, ambassador, but you should seek enrichment and improvement of your skills, and the place for that is not here in the GA. Otherwise, continuous submissions of ill-prepared and illegal bills will end with you ejected."

If I don't get help then I won't improve or anything of the sort.

"I don't think you need ambassadors and diplomats to help you, I think you need professors and tutors to help you. It reads at a C.D.S.P. 7th grade level. I don't think international laws should be de jure complex, but I do balk at legislation that reads as if my niece was the sole drafter and writer. Wizard Landfree is right, you need to participate in the debates more. The next time you want to draft something, calculate the time between then and now, then triple it. That's how long you should participate in debates before drafting anything. Probably more. It took me about a year before I even tried drafting anything, and it never even made it to submission!"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
"I don't think you need ambassadors and diplomats to help you, I think you need professors and tutors to help you. It reads at a C.D.S.P. 7th grade level. I don't think international laws should be de jure complex, but I do balk at legislation that reads as if my niece was the sole drafter and writer. Wizard Landfree is right, you need to participate in the debates more. The next time you want to draft something, calculate the time between then and now, then triple it. That's how long you should participate in debates before drafting anything. Probably more. It took me about a year before I even tried drafting anything, and it never even made it to submission!"

"Some of us don't speak English as a first language, Ambassador Bell. Poor language shouldn't be the sole reason to reject a proposal out of hand. That's where drafting comes in." ;)

*turning to the author*

"We agree with Ambassador Bell's point that you should spend more time drafting and participating in debates. Don't be too hasty in submitting 5 day old proposals. Give it time and keep rewriting. "

If you intend to pursue this proposal further, we suggest that you add the word 'sea' to your title and preamble since your proposal relates only to sea ports and not air or space ports"

~GRO~
Last edited by Goddess Relief Office on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:58 pm

Goddess Relief Office wrote:

"Some of us don't speak English as a first language, Ambassador Bell. Poor language shouldn't be the sole reason to reject a proposal out of hand. That's where drafting comes in." ;)

*turning to the author*

"We agree with Ambassador Bell's point that you should spend more time drafting and participating in debates. Don't be too hasty in submitting 5 day old proposals. Give it time and keep rewriting. "

If you intend to pursue this proposal further, we suggest that you add the word 'sea' to your title and preamble since your proposal relates only to sea ports and not air or space ports"

~GRO~

OOC: Author has admitted previously and more then once that English is his/her first, and only, language. Otherwise, I'd be the last one to harangue them about their technical writing.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Nucoclan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nucoclan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Goddess Relief Office wrote:"Some of us don't speak English as a first language, Ambassador Bell. Poor language shouldn't be the sole reason to reject a proposal out of hand. That's where drafting comes in." ;)

*turning to the author*

~GRO~

OOC: Author has admitted previously and more then once that English is his/her first, and only, language. Otherwise, I'd be the last one to harangue them about their technical writing.

I also know Spanish.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Goddess Relief Office wrote:"Some of us don't speak English as a first language, Ambassador Bell.

Yes, but not all of us use that as an excuse for poor writing.

Poor language shouldn't be the sole reason to reject a proposal out of hand.

It's not, trust me.

Nucoclan wrote:Aware that no international legislation currently governs member nations having access to sea ports.

No, but Law of the Seas says that nations can control who gets to go where in their own coastal waters/shoreline.

Convinced that allowing member nations to have access to sea ports will ensure the stability and the advancement of shipping and other services.

How? And what stability? I didn't know "advancement of shipping and other services", whatever they are, was unstable.

Thereby, improving international trade and commerce.

Hoping to, maybe.

The World Assembly,

Mandates the articles below:

Article I

Section I Definitions

I'd put definitions before mandates, myself. Just have "DEFINES" clauses for the definitions, and then after those, "MANDATES" clauses. The whole "article" thing is getting old/annoying.

1. A sea port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer citizens or cargo to or from land.

No, that's what a port is. A sea port needs to be on seashore, generally, though some can be in/just upstream of a large river delta.

2. Defines access as the permission or the right to enter, get near, or make use of the member nation's sea port.

That's not quite what "access" means usually. I'd at the very least make that "DEFINES access to sea ports as". And even then, "make use of"? What exactly does that entail?

Section 1 What access to sea ports will allow member nations;

This sounds more like something that should be a definition, not a mandate - hell, to be completely honest, it doesn't sound even like a definition, more like off-the-proposal notes list.

1.Free trade with other member nations of choice.

What's stopping them from doing that as is?

2.More income for member nations.

How?

3.Reduced barriers to allow free trade.

How?

4.The power to turn away ships remains with the nation's government.

This should be a separate "REAFFIRMS" clause, since it's already a right given by a previous resolution...

Member nations are allowed to turn away whoever they want and whenever they want for any reason.

...but it does kinda render this one as completely optional. Proposals that are completely optional, are illegal.

Cognizant that the provisions of this resolution do apply to all member nation's sea ports.

...what?

Hereby granting, all member nations access to sea ports.

Now you're contradicting not just a previous resolution, but also your own proposal. You can't grant access to sea ports if the nations can deny access at will.

Now, as others have said, give up on writing a proposal rightaway. Partake the debate on others, learn to write better, and comprehensively read the previous resolutions.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Tea Party USA 2
Envoy

Founded: Oct 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tea Party USA 2 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:38 pm

OK son I am going to be blunt, your bill is one of the worst I have ever seen and it has a 0 percent chance of passing. I highly suggest you drop this bill and spend time debating other ones where you may get some more knowledge on how this works.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:26 am

Araraukar wrote:
Nucoclan wrote:Aware that no international legislation currently governs member nations having access to sea ports.

No, but Law of the Seas says that nations can control who gets to go where in their own coastal waters/shoreline.

"Ahem!"
Law of the Seas wrote:2. ACKNOWLEDGES that, subject to any limits that WA law places on national rights

"So this aspect of the proposal would be legal."
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:29 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Araraukar wrote:No, but Law of the Seas says that nations can control who gets to go where in their own coastal waters/shoreline.

"Ahem!"
Law of the Seas wrote:2. ACKNOWLEDGES that, subject to any limits that WA law places on national rights

"So this aspect of the proposal would be legal."

Perhaps, but that "aware" bit says there's no such law at all, while there is. Also, this proposal doesn't place any limits as per its text.

Tea Party USA 2 wrote:OK son I am going to be blunt, your bill is one of the worst I have ever seen

I see you're new here, ambassador. While this is a bit unstable and badly written, possibly illegal too, it's still hardly the worst one ever.

OOC: The worst ones go here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=548
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Snefaldia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:09 am

My advice to the author: First, ignore all the insulting, unhelpful, and dogpiling comments you have received in this thread. They are completely unnecessary, and while en vogue at the moment, unimportant to actual debate.

A common maxim is to "write to the category," i.e. you should choose your category first, then build your proposal around it. As mentioned, Law of the Sea is already on the WA books; you may be better served by creating a proposal that is narrowly focused on one aspect of sea ports- such as an internment law, or a safe harbor law for ships in distress.

Moreover, don't rush headlong toward submission. Many authors take months of drafting (I think some even years but this is extreme to say the least), and consider word choice and rules violations very carefully.

But I should reiterate: ignore all the base and flamish insults and look for genuine advice. Don't hesitate to fire I.G.N.O.R.E. cannons either.

Maj. Primua Tarhuntamanapa
Charge d'Affaires
Welcome to Snefaldia!
Also the player behind: Kartlis & Sabaristan

Tea Party USA 2
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Tea Party USA 2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:19 pm

This bill says that we must trade with everyone, however if we do not like a particular nation we don't have to trade with them. Now correct me if I am wrong but that's the current system and if that is the case then why do we need this bill in the first place?
Last edited by Tea Party USA 2 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucoclan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nucoclan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 am

Tea Party USA 2 wrote:This bill says that we must trade with everyone, however if we do not like a particular nation we don't have to trade with them. Now correct me if I am wrong but that's the current system and if that is the case then why do we need this bill in the first place?

just for the record i did put of choice.

Tea Party USA 2
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Tea Party USA 2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Nucoclan wrote:
Tea Party USA 2 wrote:This bill says that we must trade with everyone, however if we do not like a particular nation we don't have to trade with them. Now correct me if I am wrong but that's the current system and if that is the case then why do we need this bill in the first place?

That choice that makes your entire bill optional which makes it illegal.

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Nucoclan wrote:just for the record i did put of choice.

OOC: And that's where the issue lies. Rather it's illegal is a mod thing, but i'll tell you this. It basically reads, with optionality, that I have to open my ports to any nation. It also says I can turn away any nation for any reason. As it stands to reason, my ports are open to those I want in them and closed to everyone else, what exactly does this resolution, as written, accomplish, other than a situation that exists already?

It is great that you want to be involved, however, try your hand at debating existing drafts first, just to get a feel for the process. Believe me, the regulars here are great at finding loopholes in even the most well-written legislation, its best to be prepared for that. Seeing how debates go in existing drafts is the best way to do so.
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Prussia-Austria-Hungary
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Austria-Hungary » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 pm

I think the ISTC would fall under the "No WA Police/Army"
List of Roleplay Puppets: Bavarian State, Central States of America, Yugoslavian Kingdom
Pro: Corporatism, Objectivism, Libertarianism
Anti: Communism, Social Democratic, Social Conservative

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:29 pm

This proposal is illegal and contradicts previously passed resolutions, notably Resolution #2, Section I, Article 2. The Article in question states, and I quote, "Every WA Member State has the right to exercise jurisdiction over its territory and over all persons and things therein, subject to the immunities recognized by international law." Sovereign states retain the right to absolute authority over activities that occur inside their territory in order to maintain its integrity and national security among other important guarantees. There is no feasible way to implement this resolution without overwriting existing aspects of international law and completely destroying the concept of national sovereignty.

In light of these irreparable problems with the draft resolution, my nation will not support moving it to the floor for a general vote.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Velkanika wrote:This proposal is illegal and contradicts previously passed resolutions, notably Resolution #2, Section I, Article 2. The Article in question states, and I quote, "Every WA Member State has the right to exercise jurisdiction over its territory and over all persons and things therein, subject to the immunities recognized by international law." Sovereign states retain the right to absolute authority over activities that occur inside their territory in order to maintain its integrity and national security among other important guarantees. There is no feasible way to implement this resolution without overwriting existing aspects of international law and completely destroying the concept of national sovereignty.

In light of these irreparable problems with the draft resolution, my nation will not support moving it to the floor for a general vote.

"This would be international law. If that jurisdiction is subject to international law, then that jurisdiction is overridden by this."

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Velkanika wrote:This proposal is illegal and contradicts previously passed resolutions, notably Resolution #2, Section I, Article 2. The Article in question states, and I quote, "Every WA Member State has the right to exercise jurisdiction over its territory and over all persons and things therein, subject to the immunities recognized by international law." Sovereign states retain the right to absolute authority over activities that occur inside their territory in order to maintain its integrity and national security among other important guarantees. There is no feasible way to implement this resolution without overwriting existing aspects of international law and completely destroying the concept of national sovereignty.

"This would be international law. If that jurisdiction is subject to international law, then that jurisdiction is overridden by this."

Mr. Ambassador, that's a secondary issue in this case. Contradictions of existing resolutions that are currently in-force are an illegal feature of any proposal brought before the General Assembly. Any resolution that this one contradicts must be repealed before this can be brought to the floor. I suggest you or your staff reread the General Assembly Rules for Proposals. The relevant section is listed under Types Of Violations as Contradictions.
Last edited by Velkanika on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Velkanika wrote:

Mr. Ambassador, that's a secondary issue in this case. Contradictions of existing resolutions that are currently in-force are an illegal feature of any proposal brought before the General Assembly. Any resolution that this one contradicts must be repealed before this can be brought to the floor. I suggest you or your staff reread the General Assembly Rules for Proposals. The relevant section is listed under Types Of Violations as Contradictions.

"Except that isn't a contradiction. GAR#2 states that the sovereignty is to be left to member states, except as restricted by future legislation. It was, essentially, a fluff clause, since the WA can still, legally, control every minutia of a national government with impunity."

Hakio
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakio » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:37 pm

"Wow what an overly complicated and obnoxious way of stating one simple idea:
NATSOV."
Proud International Federalist

WA Voting History
Progressivism 97.5
Socialism 81.25
Tenderness 46.875
Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.28
Pandeeria wrote:Racism is almost as good as eating babies.

Nucoclan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nucoclan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Tea Party USA 2 wrote:
Nucoclan wrote:

Only for that line.
Last edited by Nucoclan on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defwa
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Defwa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Nucoclan wrote:
Tea Party USA 2 wrote:

Only for that line.

One line makes the entire proposal illegal.
__________Federated City States of ____________________Defwa__________
Federation Head High Wizard of Dal Angela Landfree
Ambassadorial Delegate Maestre Wizard Mikyal la Vert

President and World Assembly Delegate of the Democratic Socialist Assembly
Defwa offers assistance with humanitarian aid, civilian evacuation, arbitration, negotiation, and human rights violation monitoring.

Wrapper
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wrapper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Nucoclan wrote:
Tea Party USA 2 wrote:

Only for that line.

Ambassador... answer this one question if you will, please. What does this proposal... actually... do, if anything? You cannot say it grants access to ports, because, any nation can give any reason to block access to its ports, in which case... this proposal does absolutely nothing.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Nucoclan wrote:
Tea Party USA 2 wrote:

Only for that line.

Which still makes it illegal....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Nucoclan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nucoclan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:20 am

Remember anything that helps me become better is always appreciated.

Tea Party USA 2
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Tea Party USA 2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Nucoclan wrote:Remember anything that helps me become better is always appreciated.

Son I would give this bill up and spend more time
particapating in actual debates. Your just not ready for crafting bills yet.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly