NATION

PASSWORD

PMC Regulation Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lucian De Mundo
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lucian De Mundo » Fri May 31, 2013 12:30 pm

I won't try to make this a proposal until I see wear this goes. That would just be of bad character on my behalf. You have nothing to worry about. Also I'm campaigned out right now after getting my last proposal to reach quorum.
Mikkel Wienzte,
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary,
The Anarchy of Lucian De Mundo
"Patria, Ultio Et Ignoscentia"

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Seth Abaddon wrote:
Araraukar wrote:snip

Thanks for the comments, i will amke the changes you suggest, a trird draft should be up soon.

I still don't like the contents of the proposal, but then that's never stopped me from suggesting better formatting. :P It reads much better now. I'll tackle content at a later point (in couple days' time).
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Fri May 31, 2013 1:47 pm

SUGGESTED EDITS:

PMC & Mercenary Regulation Act

Category: International Security | Strength: Medium | Proposed by: Seth Abaddon

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that Private Military Companies are a valuable part of many nations security arrangements. However concerned that said companies are difficult to hold accountable and prosecute for war crimes or other offenses committed contrary to the laws of their home or contracting nations.

DEFINES a Private Military Firm (PMC) as one which is registered and has received licensing from the recognized government of a nation in accordance with with their individual laws, to engage in activities which have the potential to exercise force or provide provide armed security services,

FURTHER DEFINES a mercenary as an individual who engages in an armed conflict and is motivated to take part in said conflict primarily by promise of personal gain. They are not in a PMC or part of the regular armed forces or any party to the conflict.

HEREBY,

REQUIRES all PMCs to be legally licensed by the recognized government of of a nation in accordance with their national laws.

MANDATES
that a PMC may only engage in employment with the officially recognized government of a nation as decided by the Government of their licencing nation.

RECOGNIZING
the right of the contracting nation to exercise jurisdiction over PMC employees or to extradite an offender to the nation their corporation is registered to.

CLARIFYING that PMCs should be held accountable to the same standards set forth by their contracting nation, or licensing nation in the event of extradition, with regards to military codes of conduct and rules of engagement and be treated no differently from members of the regular armed forces of either such nation. Such laws should include as a minimum, the body of relevant World Assembly Resolutions.

MANDATING that PMC employees must be treated as any other other captured member of an armed force of a political entity.

DECLARES that a mercenary, not licensed and bonded with a registered company, shall be considered an illegal combatant and should not be treated as a captured enemy but prosecuted under civil laws and subject to all civil punishments and rights of the concerned nation.

RECOGNIZING the right of the nation to extradite a suspected mercenary to their nation of origin in which case they will be subject to the laws of said nation.

CALLING FOR nations to fully cooperate in an extradition process including making available all evidence at their disposal, if doing so does not beach their national laws.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:DECLARES that a mercenary, not licensed and bonded with a registered company, shall be considered an illegal combatant and should not be treated as a captured enemy but prosecuted under civil laws and subject to all civil punishments and rights of the concerned nation.

Now this I could agree with.

Neu Engollon wrote:CALLING FOR nations to fully cooperate in an extradition process including making available all evidence at their disposal, if doing so does not beach breach their national laws.

Fixed it for you.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri May 31, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Fri May 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Neu Engollon wrote:DECLARES that a mercenary, not licensed and bonded with a registered company, shall be considered an illegal combatant and should not be treated as a captured enemy but prosecuted under civil laws and subject to all civil punishments and rights of the concerned nation.

Now this I could agree with.

Neu Engollon wrote:CALLING FOR nations to fully cooperate in an extradition process including making available all evidence at their disposal, if doing so does not beach breach their national laws.

Fixed it for you.

Thanks, I'm sure I missed a few other grammatical things, this is what I could catch at first review.
My Factbook
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Seth Abaddon
Attaché

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seth Abaddon » Fri May 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Araraukar wrote:DECLARES that a mercenary, not licensed and bonded with a registered company, shall be considered an illegal combatant and should not be treated as a captured enemy but prosecuted under civil laws and subject to all civil punishments and rights of the concerned nation.

Neu Engollon wrote:snip

Thank you both, most of that is small changes which i have already made (I am sure there are more but will get to them tomorrow). The last point I am not so sure on,

The defination of a mercenary already states that they are not a PMC employee, as such who are you suggesting the merceneries are bonded and registered with? If its for clarification purposes it is slightly confusing as I have not mentioned bonding anywhere or registration for merceneries.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Fri May 31, 2013 4:03 pm

Seth Abaddon wrote:
Araraukar wrote:DECLARES that a mercenary, not licensed and bonded with a registered company, shall be considered an illegal combatant and should not be treated as a captured enemy but prosecuted under civil laws and subject to all civil punishments and rights of the concerned nation.

Neu Engollon wrote:snip

Thank you both, most of that is small changes which i have already made (I am sure there are more but will get to them tomorrow). The last point I am not so sure on,

The definition of a mercenary already states that they are not a PMC employee, as such who are you suggesting the mercenaries are bonded and registered with? If its for clarification purposes it is slightly confusing as I have not mentioned bonding anywhere or registration for mercenaries.

You should. Non-registered companies would not bother with bonding and licensing. The two go hand in hand. Plus, it would cover the bounty hunter overlap issue. Also, an individual could be tagged or claim erroneously to be a 'mercenary', and be licensed and bonded with a real, nationally registered company, in which case, they would also be a professional regulated soldier; hence they would not be liable to prosecution for violating conventional warfare laws.

Somewhat side note:
I may use this to start an RP mercenary guild, in which case, a PMC on GE&T or II forum would lose their credibility and legitimacy and be kicked out of the guild if they were proven to be in violation of this WA resolution. So it would actually have some application to RP, unlike the bulk of WA legislation.

Also, PMCs using WMDs, such as gas, bio or tactical nuclear weapons has not been covered. It is a very real possibility of transgression.
My Factbook

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Fri May 31, 2013 10:00 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:
Seth Abaddon wrote:

The definition of a mercenary already states that they are not a PMC employee, as such who are you suggesting the mercenaries are bonded and registered with? If its for clarification purposes it is slightly confusing as I have not mentioned bonding anywhere or registration for mercenaries.

You should. Non-registered companies would not bother with bonding and licensing. The two go hand in hand. Plus, it would cover the bounty hunter overlap issue. Also, an individual could be tagged or claim erroneously to be a 'mercenary', and be licensed and bonded with a real, nationally registered company, in which case, they would also be a professional regulated soldier; hence they would not be liable to prosecution for violating conventional warfare laws.

Somewhat side note:
I may use this to start an RP mercenary guild, in which case, a PMC on GE&T or II forum would lose their credibility and legitimacy and be kicked out of the guild if they were proven to be in violation of this WA resolution. So it would actually have some application to RP, unlike the bulk of WA legislation.

Also, PMCs using WMDs, such as gas, bio or tactical nuclear weapons has not been covered. It is a very real possibility of transgression.

If my memory serves me well, there is either an attempt to legislate on that or a previously passed piece of legislation on that which forbids private entities from possessing WMDs (or something along those lines).
Foederatae Anacaspiae
Federated States of Anacaspia
Factbook | Introduction | Federated States Military Forces

Call me Ana.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Don't you?
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

Mmm... it's getting hot in here.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri May 31, 2013 11:14 pm

Anacasppia wrote:If my memory serves me well, there is either an attempt to legislate on that or a previously passed piece of legislation on that which forbids private entities from possessing WMDs (or something along those lines).

We seem to recognize that. Let us see... it's one of ours...:

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Defining:
[...]
b) Non-state actors as any parties or persons which are not fully owned by, operated by, or responsible to a sovereign nation or to sovereign nations
[...]
[The WA Hereby]
Bans the possession of nuclear weapons by any non-state actor in all member nations and directs all member nations to rigorously enforce this rule as directed by the NWMC [Nuclear Weapons Management Commission],

But it only covers nuclear weapons, and we're delaying it a bit because there's been so much nuclear stuff around recently that we think people are sick and tired of it...

Iff Seth Abaddon wishes to use this precise wording to provide a general ban on the use and possession of all WMDs by mercenaries, we grant our full permission and support.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Fri May 31, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Seth Abaddon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Seth Abaddon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:57 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:snip

I think its a good ideas but the list could be huge of what was or not banned, maybe something like

REQUIRES licensing nations to submit to all registered PMCs in their nation a list of acceptable weapons which they may utilize in accordance with their national laws. This list must not include any weapons banned under World Assembly resolutions. In the event such weapons are in violation of any contracting nations laws they may not be used in the fulfillment of said contract.

FORBIDS a PMC or its employees from undertaking operations outside of the approved contract issued by the contracting Government or utilizing weapons in any role other then that explicitly specified in said contract. Failure to follow said restrictions will result in the revoking of the PMC status of the company or their employees.

MANDATING that should the PMC status of a company be revoked, its employees will be considered mercenaries and punishable under civil laws of the nation they are present in. This is not retrospective and any actions undertaken before the PMC license was revoked will remain covered under the laws governing PMCs.

Thoughts?

Neu Engollon wrote:You should. Non-registered companies would not bother with bonding and licensing. The two go hand in hand. Plus, it would cover the bounty hunter overlap issue. Also, an individual could be tagged or claim erroneously to be a 'mercenary', and be licensed and bonded with a real, nationally registered company, in which case, they would also be a professional regulated soldier; hence they would not be liable to prosecution for violating conventional warfare laws.

Regarding the licensing and bonding of mercenaries? Who are you licensing them with? One of the big complaints in the first draft was that PMCs and Mercenaries were not properly separated given their differing motives and codes of practices. So we have PMC and its employees registered and licenced while mercenaries are those who are unlicensed. A mercenary/bounty hunter or whatever can register as a PMC sole trader and receive the proper license from their national government.

I dont mind adding a line to this end. If I misunderstood this point though I can go back on it.
Last edited by Seth Abaddon on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seth Abaddon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Seth Abaddon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:32 am

This has now been submitted for your consideration, the support of delegates would be highly appreciated in helping this reach quorum.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, it was really great to get your help and suggestions.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:52 am

Where to start...
Seth Abaddon wrote:
DEFINES a Private Military Firm (PMC) as one which is registered and has received licensing from the recognized government of a nation in accordance with with their individual laws, to engage in activities which have the potential to exercise force or provide armed security services,

Alright first problem is that PMC is not right for Private Military Firm. I'm assuming you meant to put contractor. That's just sloppy.

Seth Abaddon wrote:MANDATES that a PMC may only engage in employment with the officially recognized government of a nation as decided by the Government of their licensing nation.

What about in cases of civil war? What about cases of Anarchy?

Seth Abaddon wrote:MANDATING that PMC employees must be treated as any other captured member of an armed force of a political entity.

Even those of nonmember states? They are not required to abide by these regulations, and while it is all good and noble to hold irregulars as we would regular military personnel, that is not likely to be reciprocated.

Seth Abaddon wrote:REQUIRES nations to furnish all PMCs they license with a list of weapons which they may utilize. This list may not include any weapons banned under World Assembly resolutions. In the event such weapons are in violation of any contracting nations laws they may not be used in the fulfillment of said contract.

Grammar, you should have an apostrophe on "nations" for "nations' laws".

Overall it still needs work. Good topic, but you failed to appropriately proofread.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Seth Abaddon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Seth Abaddon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:19 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Where to start...
Seth Abaddon wrote:
DEFINES a Private Military Firm (PMC) as one which is registered and has received licensing from the recognized government of a nation in accordance with with their individual laws, to engage in activities which have the potential to exercise force or provide armed security services,

Alright first problem is that PMC is not right for Private Military Firm. I'm assuming you meant to put contractor. That's just sloppy.

The wording is correct on the submitted version, i must have forgotton to change it on the last version here, apologies but the one submitted is fine and now so is the one at the start.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Seth Abaddon wrote:MANDATES that a PMC may only engage in employment with the officially recognized government of a nation as decided by the Government of their licensing nation.

What about in cases of civil war? What about cases of Anarchy?

It is the government of the licencing nation who decides, they may choose one side in a civil war and recognize them in which case they would be the recognized government. Which body, person, company, potted plant ;) or otherwise your government chooses to recognize is a national matter.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Seth Abaddon wrote:MANDATING that PMC employees must be treated as any other captured member of an armed force of a political entity.

Even those of nonmember states? They are not required to abide by these regulations, and while it is all good and noble to hold irregulars as we would regular military personnel, that is not likely to be reciprocated.

If a PMC are fighting with nation x and nation y capturers several members they must be treated as any regular soilder would, prisioners of war if this exists in that nation but no worse that any other captured regular soilder. We cant licence for non WA nations who can do as they choose both in terms of captured regular soilders and PMCs.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Seth Abaddon wrote:REQUIRES nations to furnish all PMCs they license with a list of weapons which they may utilize. This list may not include any weapons banned under World Assembly resolutions. In the event such weapons are in violation of any contracting nations laws they may not be used in the fulfillment of said contract.

Grammar, you should have an apostrophe on "nations" for "nations' laws".

Ok, that one i can see, i missed that apostrophe but hopefully one apostrophe wont put you off!!!

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Overall it still needs work. Good topic, but you failed to appropriately proofread.

Apart from that one apostrophe the rest is fine!
Last edited by Seth Abaddon on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:25 am

Seth Abaddon wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:What about in cases of civil war? What about cases of Anarchy?

It is the government of the licencing nation who decides, they may choose one side in a civil war and recognize them in which case they would be the recognized government. Which body, person, company, potted plant ;) or otherwise your government chooses to recognize is a national matter.

You misunderstood my question, if a nation in a Civil War seeks to hire PMCs then can the PMCs take the contract? What if the revolutionary party attempts to hire them?

Seth Abaddon wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Even those of nonmember states? They are not required to abide by these regulations, and while it is all good and noble to hold irregulars as we would regular military personnel, that is not likely to be reciprocated.

If a PMC are fighting with nation x and nation y capturers several members they must be treated as any regular soilder would, prisioners of war if this exists in that nation but no worse that any other captured regular soilder. We cant licence for non WA nations who can do as they choose both in terms of captured regular soilders and PMCs.

You can, however, legislate how we treat non WA nations' captured PMCs.

Seth Abaddon wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Grammar, you should have an apostrophe on "nations" for "nations' laws".

Ok, that one i can see, i missed that apostrophe but hopefully one apostrophe wont put you off!!!

All grammar errors put me off. There is no excuse for them, they indicate a failure to properly draft.

Seth Abaddon wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Overall it still needs work. Good topic, but you failed to appropriately proofread.

Apart from that one apostrophe the rest is fine!

I still have questions regarding the above sections, but the apostrophe is truly disappointing.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:36 am

Please tell me you submitted by accident and are intending to ask the mods to pull this off the queue? Because it was nowhere near ready. As the age-old adage goes, "resolution writing is a marathon, not a sprint". Which means you shouldn't submit in a hurry - the recommended time is at least a month of drafting process. Many proposals take several months to be perfected. Even if an unripe proposal got voted into a resolution, it would most likely get repealed rightaway, since the glaring errors tend to be glaring.

Seth Abaddon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Seth Abaddon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:42 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
You misunderstood my question, if a nation in a Civil War seeks to hire PMCs then can the PMCs take the contract? What if the revolutionary party attempts to hire them?

This is up to your national government, if your government recognizes the revolutionary party as the government then yes, if they recognize the other side then no. Failure to regulate in this way could see in an extreme case a PMC contracted by a terror group and still protected by law.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:You can, however, legislate how we treat non WA nations' captured PMCs.

It is in there that they should be treated as any other captured enemy combatant as per your laws. If your laws for non WA nations are different from WA nations that is your right. Whatever law you have for the treatment of captured enemy combatants from a given nation must apply also to PMCs contracted to that nation but this is in no way stating what that law should be.

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:53 pm

OOC. I've been following this debate and, boy, has it been entertaining. I'm sure the imaginary GA chamber was in an imaginary uproar at some points.

Seth Abaddon wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:

This is up to your national government

Wait a minute. What if one nation recognizes the old government and another nation recognizes the revolutionary element? Now I may be confused, but this seems to contradict your earlier statements. The issue of a special, transitional, corporate, or non-state government hiring PMC's has been settled, has it not? I believe this situation would fall under those same rules.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Seth Abaddon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Seth Abaddon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Point Breeze wrote:OOC. I've been following this debate and, boy, has it been entertaining. I'm sure the imaginary GA chamber was in an imaginary uproar at some points.

Wait a minute. What if one nation recognizes the old government and another nation recognizes the revolutionary element? Now I may be confused, but this seems to contradict your earlier statements.

The national government of the licencing authrity is responsible for this.

In your example one nation recognizes one side, any PMCs licenced by that government would be able to obtain contacts from that side and the government recognizing the other side could seek conracts from that side only.

This is not an attempt to standarize who the various national governments recognize as legimite governmnets, that is completely at their own discression.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:46 am

Well, if this passes, nothing's really going to change for Araraukar, since we are a non-WA nation, and PPU can feign ignorance to any of our actions - we can just call it military alliance or mutual defence deal instead of "hired protection". I'm sure other WA nations can strike similar deals with non-WA nations.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 pm

I never thought this proposal would reach quorum. :palm:

I have multiple concerns regarding this proposal, but here is my main one.

MANDATING that if PMC status of a company is revoked, its employees will be considered mercenaries and punishable under civil laws.

. . .

DECLARES that an unregistered mercenary shall be considered an illegal combatant and should not be treated as a captured enemy but prosecuted under civil laws and subject to all civil punishments and rights of the nation in which they are located.

Why should unlawful combatants be subject to civil penalties instead of criminal punishments?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Hallensbane
Attaché

Founded: Jun 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallensbane » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Seth Abaddon wrote:
Point Breeze wrote:OOC. I've been following this debate and, boy, has it been entertaining. I'm sure the imaginary GA chamber was in an imaginary uproar at some points.

Wait a minute. What if one nation recognizes the old government and another nation recognizes the revolutionary element? Now I may be confused, but this seems to contradict your earlier statements.

The national government of the licencing authrity is responsible for this.

In your example one nation recognizes one side, any PMCs licenced by that government would be able to obtain contacts from that side and the government recognizing the other side could seek conracts from that side only.

This is not an attempt to standarize who the various national governments recognize as legimite governmnets, that is completely at their own discression.

I see a huge issue. What is to be done if the revolutionary element licenses a PMC? If my nation doesn't recognize them, do I have to follow this? I don't think I would have to, and that's a big loophole. After all, if it's not a nation then they can't be legitimately licensed. Do PMC's now have to worry about certain sides declaring the side they backed as valid before they get these rights? That all seems very, very messy. And, what if my nation doesn't care what side the two go to help? Do we have to declare both of them valid? That would be a royal pain in our rear, and could cause diplomatic issues.

You've rushed this to quorum before making sure the issues where hammered out. I'd advise pulling it back so you can try and get more input.
Respectfully,
Kalh Hallensbane
Acting on the authority of his esteemed leader,
inspiration, and wife, Renamis Hallensbane.
Kill or be killed; There is no other way.

The views of this nation are not necessarily my own. In fact, usually they aren't. Azazel is a puppet nation of Hallensbane. Some stock images where used in the creation of this nation's flag and shield. If you ever wish to know the sources I'd be glad to provide them.

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:17 pm

As the owner and founder of the largest PMC on NationStates, Commoner League Inc., I cannot support this piece of Regulatory resolutions. My entire corporation including my storefront and my subsidiaries, Akuma Defense and Vordic Suns, do not approve of this resolution of pure intolerable regulations. Others in our line of work have also voiced their opinions but I felt my corporation should voice its strong disapproval of this law that will only harm the business as well as subjugate millions of my own employees, who are hard working good people, as enemy combatants. Many others above, including the people above my very own post, have already voiced my opinions but let me say again that we do not support this hunk of regulations at all and do not propose any alternatives other than halting these regulatory acts.

Ius
Attaché

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ius » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:01 pm

These PMCs, how can our nation's government trust them not to stage a coup. They are private right? therefore controlled by private citizens who can doe what ever they please.

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Ius wrote:These PMCs, how can our nation's government trust them not to stage a coup. They are private right? therefore controlled by private citizens who can doe what ever they please.

Their license and your contract with them limits their actions. Should they break them, they're subject to prosecution.

Besides, what mercenary organization would overthrow the government that pays their salaries? That's bad for business. Nobody is going to want to hire a PMC that likes to attack its contractors.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Ius wrote:These PMCs, how can our nation's government trust them not to stage a coup. They are private right? therefore controlled by private citizens who can doe what ever they please.

I assure you that I do not doe anyone. I don't know how I can female deer anyone but I certainly do not do such a heinous thing!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly