NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Death Penalty Regulation Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

For which crimes is capital punishment acceptable?

Murder and other crimes
45%
Only murder
18%
Never acceptable
36%

Total votes : 44

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

[DRAFT] Death Penalty Regulation Act

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 pm

ImageImage

GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROPOSAL
Death Penalty Regulation Act
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights | Strength: Strong | Proposed by: Image Christian Democrats

The General Assembly,

Realizing that many nations employ the death penalty as a form of criminal punishment,

Believing that criminals should not be put to death unless they have taken the lives of others (lex talionis),

Ensuring that such a punishment, if used at all, will be as humane as possible,

1. Defines the following terms for the purposes of this resolution:

• Execution: the state-sanctioned killing of an individual as punishment for a crime committed;
  • Insanity: the inability to determine the rightness or wrongness of actions;
  • Lethal injection: the practice of giving someone drugs intravenously to cause an immediate and relatively painless death;
  • Murder: the unlawful killing of one individual by another individual with malice aforethought;

2. Prohibits the execution of any individual who has not been convicted of murder beyond reasonable doubt in a fair trial that meets all of the standards set forth by this Assembly in all of its active resolutions;

3. Requires that member states use lethal injection as their only form of execution, unless the criminal to be executed provides informed and written consent for a different form of execution to be used instead;

4. Forbids the execution of any individual for committing a murder while that individual was insane or a minor;

5. Disallows the execution of individuals who are pregnant;

6. Recognizes that, within reason, every criminal to be executed has the right to receive the last rites of his or her religion less than 24 hours before the time at which execution occurs;

7. Declares that, within reason, every criminal to be executed has the privilege of having three individuals of his or her own choice present at the execution;

8. Bans extrajudicial killings and the transfer of individuals to non-member states for the purpose of execution for a crime or crimes committed within the jurisdiction of a member state or member states;

9. Allows all persons to refuse to act as executioners and to refuse to aid in executions;

10. Calls upon every jurisdiction in the jurisdiction of this Assembly that uses execution to provide copies of all death warrants to the World Health Authority for statistical purposes;

11. Encourages member states and political subdivisions thereof to sentence murderers to life imprisonment instead of death or to abolish the death penalty entirely; and

12. Affirms that this resolution does not affect killings that occur as part of combat during war or killings made in legitimate self-defense or the legitimate defense of others or property to protect them for imminent harm.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:07 pm

How is this any different from the Convention on Execution?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Paper Flowers
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paper Flowers » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:19 pm

We find the conditions and crimes for which execution can be considered to be too restrictive.

Opposed
Liam. A. Saunders - Paper Flowers Ambassador to the World Assembly.

Factbook (under construction - last update 14th November 2012)
Current Affairs - Ambassador Walkers disappearance remains a mystery, Ambassador Saunders promoted in his place.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:37 pm

"Did not read", Lord Raekevik declared. "The Queendom will only support a total ban on capital punishment, nothing less."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Alterrea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alterrea » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:04 pm

The Community of Alterrea opposes death penalty in every form.
The Community supports this proposal:

The General Assembly,

MANDATES that no-one shall be condemned to death penalty or executed with the following derogation:

a Member Nation may make provision in its law for the death penalty in respect of acts committed in time of war or of imminent threat of war; such penalty shall be applied only in the instances laid down in the law and in accordance with its provisions.
Last edited by Alterrea on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Community of Alterrea's Mission to the World Assembly

OOC: Be patient, English is not my mother-tongue. I'm learning.
If you find errors in my comments, please tell me.

Warrior Thorin
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warrior Thorin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Well, the people of Warrior Thorin embrace the Death Penalty and I cannot understand why a nation that opposes it should impose its beliefs upon all the others.

If you want to make a claim that the way that the death penalty is executed in nations violates civil rights (i.e., prolonged torture until death) then I might be willing to discuss this. But to tell me nation that I cannot run my Justice system as it is will lead to revolt.
Child of the August Revolution
Former Senator of the People's Republic of the Pacific
Hail Franco Spain! Hail the Pacific!

Puissancevise
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Puissancevise » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:19 pm

I disagree with the death penalty only because it works in my nation.

...having said that, if you are going to allow the death penalty, EXTEND IT TO CHILD MOLESTERS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. >:(

...Please.
Then i'd support this. :)
President Desmond Salirne
"We, humanity, shall live free."
Puissancevise Factbook

Venolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Venolia » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:22 pm

We oppose.
World Factbook Entry of Venolia
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! "I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell are these!?" Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give the Imperium Novum of Venolia lemons! "Do you know who I am? I'm the nation who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!"
IMPERIUM NOVUM OF VENOLIA
PAX PER BELLVM
ROMULUS AURELIUS II
GOD BLESS VENOLIA

Upper Crystaldom
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Upper Crystaldom » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:28 pm

I agree with Thorin, although I am personally opposed to the death penalty, I have no right to dictate to other nations what they do with their criminals. It's the same reason I voted against the habeas corpas resolution.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:How is this any different from the Convention on Execution?

The author.

Timothy Schmidt
Bob Flibble's PA

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Restrictions on when execution can occur and restrictions on what forms of execution can be used.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:

Restrictions on when execution can occur and restrictions on what forms of execution can be used.

Not enough. That could be considered just trying to ammend.

Needless to say, we vehemently oppose this attempt to micromanage national judicial systems with a one-size-fits-all "My way is best so the rest of you must do it this way too" proposal.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:04 pm

The Imperial Chiefdom would prefer to not deal with this subject at an international level. However, if this draft effort is to proceed, Krioval objects to the clause mandating lethal injection. We do not necessarily find that lethal injection is the least painful means of execution and that any proposal allowing capital punishment should instead mandate the use of the least painful and shortest means of killing the condemned.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Nigel stands up and approaches the podium.

"We echo the sentiments of our delegate, and add that the USP can not support any legislation this restrictive on what crimes can be considered as capital crimes. There are several others that would qualify in the USP. Open the legislation to serial rape and treason and we can begin to speak further.

Nigel sits back down.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Murder: the unlawful killing of one individual by another individual with malice aforethought;

What is a "lawful" killing?
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Murder: the unlawful killing of one individual by another individual with malice aforethought;

Self defense
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:

Self defense

That's an example, Ambassador, and one that only exists because of this Assembly.

This proposal currently allows for nations to execute soldiers and/or policemen for duties done while in the service of the state.

Opposed.
Last edited by Sanctaria on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Self defense

That's an example, Ambassador, and one that only exists because of this Assembly.

This proposal currently allows for nations to execute soldiers and/or policemen for duties done while in the service of the state.

Opposed.

I was just trying to help. I thought you were curious... A lawful killing is just any killing authorized, excused, or justified by law. Execution itself is a "lawful" killing - otherwise, the cops would have to arrest the person administering the sentence.

And for most nations killing in war is lawful. The same goes for policemen using deadly force where necessary to stop a suspect who poses an immediate and substantial danger... yadda yadda yadda.

That said, I'm opposed to this as well. I don't see why we should enshrine "lethal injection" as the execution de jour of the World Assembly. Methods of execution seem to evolve from time to time - thirty years ago it was the gas chamber, before that the electric chair, and so on. We'd have to repeal this proposal a few decades on when a newer, more trendy method of execution is discovered (some nations already use "brain teleporting" which - I've been told - is less painful even then a needle prick).

I also don't like the last rites bit. I see absolutely no reason for that. At the very least, I'd like to see that provision limited in the interests of justice, since I could imagine some religious "last rites" including a virgin sacrifice or a month in Cancun (I exaggerate to clarify - my point is, some less-savory "religious" people might take advantage of such a provision if left too broad).

And a right to have three individuals present? Why not four? And why is that provision restricted "within reason" while the one before it is completely unrestrained? Summoning three people to your execution can hardly be more burdensome than unfettered access to last rites.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Sanctaria wrote:

Opposed.

I was just trying to help. I thought you were curious... A lawful killing is just any killing authorized, excused, or justified by law. Execution itself is a "lawful" killing - otherwise, the cops would have to arrest the person administering the sentence.

And for most nations killing in war is lawful. The same goes for policemen using deadly force where necessary to stop a suspect who poses an immediate and substantial danger... yadda yadda yadda.

My question was directed towards the author, which I note you are not.

Anyway, the inclusion of the definition of murder as is could prove problematic. A nation may not necessarily have crimes such as "manslaughter" or "accidental death" and, as a result may have no way of proving there was intent to kill. A nation could simply pass a law saying whenever someone kills another there was "malice aforethought", thereby circumventing the terms of this resolution.

Now while I admit this isn't exactly acting in good faith with the resolution, if a nation has no means of determining intent, then they could take that route.

Similarly, a nation may not have the means of developing drugs to administer to the inmate to kill him/her through lethal injection. Nations of a "past-tech" nature and not going to have stores of such drugs on hand.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Nova Pacifica
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Pacifica » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:2. Prohibits the execution of any individual who has not been convicted of murder beyond reasonable doubt in a fair trial that meets all of the standards set forth by this Assembly in all of its active resolutions;

No.

Absolutely, unequivocably no. >:(

3. Requires that member states use lethal injection as their only form of execution, unless the criminal to be executed provides informed and written consent for a different form of execution to be used instead;

... again, NO.

There is no negotiation possible on either point. If this proposal is submitted, and subsequently passes, Nova Pacifica will resign it's membership in the World Assembly immediately. >:(
Citizen Kieran O'connel
Deputy Minister, Office of Foreign Affairs;
Ambassador to the World Assembly;
Dominion of Nova Pacifica

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Nova Pacifica wrote:If this proposal is submitted, and subsequently passes, Nova Pacifica will resign it's membership in the World Assembly immediately. >:(

Aw, don't say that! Saying that you'll resign in protest will just encourage these Ambassadors. Everyone's always looking for a new office in the WA Headquarters, don't ya know?

Nova Pacifica
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Pacifica » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Nova Pacifica wrote:If this proposal is submitted, and subsequently passes, Nova Pacifica will resign it's membership in the World Assembly immediately. >:(

Aw, don't say that! Saying that you'll resign in protest will just encourage these Ambassadors. Everyone's always looking for a new office in the WA Headquarters, don't ya know?

... after taking one (horrfied and dismayed) look at the waiting list for official office space, we didn't bother trying to find offices in the incomprehensible warren of the WAHQ complex. We rented a whole building, with two (two!) helipads, a secure underground parking facility, a nice lawn, two gardens (three if you include the Zen rock garden), and a dock capable of handling the small ferry to the mainland. It's a nice, quiet little island, and the mansion makes a comfortable embassy. Hardly more than twenty minutes away from the WAHQ by air (did I mention, TWO helipads?).

But we don't own it. Like I said, rented. So if we leave? Those who want nicer digs, will have to talk to the landlord. Who happens to be a (shockingly wealthy) citizen of Nova Pacifica, and gave us a (shockingly good) deal on the rent.

OOC: I decided to avoid SciFi elements, or I'd've gone with an Avengers / S.H.I.E.L.D. style "Helicarrier", hahaha...!
Citizen Kieran O'connel
Deputy Minister, Office of Foreign Affairs;
Ambassador to the World Assembly;
Dominion of Nova Pacifica

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:42 am

Nova Pacifica will resign it's membership in the World Assembly immediately.

Nigel shoots to his feet.

"Dibs on their office!"
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:50 am

I'm happy to add my unconditional support to this proposal in it's present form.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:02 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Restrictions on when execution can occur and restrictions on what forms of execution can be used.

Not enough. That could be considered just trying to ammend.

Needless to say, we vehemently oppose this attempt to micromanage national judicial systems with a one-size-fits-all "My way is best so the rest of you must do it this way too" proposal.

One thought. Two minds. The author of this resolution have an irritating drive to control life spans in every other nation in NS. Against. Of course.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly