NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Repeal "Legalizing Prostitution"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

[SUBMITTED] Repeal "Legalizing Prostitution"

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:28 am

It's back. Please approve it here.

The World Assembly,

UNDERSTANDING that (General Assembly) Resolution #167, "Legalizing Prostitution" attempted to promote sexual freedom;

OBSERVING that there are serious flaws and shortfalls with Resolution #167:

1. OBSERVING that Resolution #167 failed to consider justifiable grounds for outlawing or restricting prostitution - for example:
a) The legalization of prostitution can create a breeding ground for human trafficking for sexual purposes, assault, procuring and drug-dealing - and that legalising it may make the problem worse;
b) Allowing everyone to enter the prostitution industry can compromise the welfare and safety of vulnerable and low-income individuals, including those forced into it by another individual;
c) The profession itself may be considered a form of sexual assault, whereas the client takes advantage of the prostitute;

2. HIGHLIGHTING that the genuine objections to the legalisation of prostitution are not necessarily derived from religious beliefs alone;

3. REGRETTING that Resolution #167 increased sexual objectification in society - the practice of treating or regarding an individual merely as a object or commodity for sexual pleasure - which may compromise the mental and emotional well-being of the individuals involved;

4. NOTING that the allowance of "additional protocol or standards that do not conflict with this resolution" has little meaning because member countries would have no power to restrict prostitution in the interest of public safety: for example, by preventing vulnerable groups of individuals from taking up the profession;

5. WORRIED that Resolution #167 does not specifically require measures to be taken to prevent the spread of venereal disease, which may pose a threat to public health;

HEREBY repeals Resolution #167, "Legalizing Prostitution".

Themes of the repeal: public safety, health, welfare and social justice.

For clause 1a of the repeal, Resolution #167 banned member-states regulating prostitution-based enterprises to the point where it no longer becomes profitable for the enterprise, or its employees, regardless of whether illicit inactivity is epidemic in the business.

For clause 1b of the repeal, Resolution #167 allowed anyone to acquire this profession, even those who cannot make a reasoned judgement. Although children cannot join in due to Resolution #4, it does not have a safety net for vulnerable adults, where the client can easily fabricate their wishes to their advantage and get away with it.

Clause 1c of the repeal is a straightforward argument, where the client may take advantage of a possibly desperate prostitute to commit illicit acts. It is not true that all member states have low crime rates or no crime.

Clause 2 of the repeal is backed by experience: for example, Charlotte Ryberg has no official religion, but still outlaws prostitution on public safety grounds and to protect individuals further from the crimes that prostitution can often breed.

Clause 3 of the repeal is a health-based argument, where Resolution #167 did not acknowledge of the risk of dehumanizing behaviour caused by treating or regarding an individual merely as a object or commodity for sexual pleasure. One of the genuine arguments for outlawing prostitution is on the fact that individuals be treated with respect, and not as a voiceless commodity.

For clause 4 of the repeal, the allowance of "additional protocol or standards that do not conflict with this resolution" had little meaning because of the impact of the ban on preventing vulnerable groups of individuals from taking up the profession, or the prevention of member countries from closing down problematic premises (see clause 1a).

For clause 5 of the repeal, Resolution #167's provisions for STI screening were not mandatory.

For concerns where nations can ban the act of being a prostitute, Resolution #167 never explicitly bans nations from doing so:
The rumour is false because the resolution concerned prohibits any government from stopping a sapient being from acquiring the profession; within the confines of previously existent international law. In addition, we have to consider a scenario where every resolution but the one concerned is struck off.

Proposed telegram text:
Honoured ambassador,

You are strongly encouraged to endorse my proposal to repeal Resolution #167, "Legalizing Prostitution" – the theme of the repeal is public safety, health, welfare and social justice, and the objections to the resolution targeted are secular, i.e. not biased towards any religion.

The problems with Resolution #167, which we are targeting, are as follows:
- It increases human trafficking for sexual purposes, assault, procuring and drug dealing. It has been proven repeatedly that legalising it may make the problem worse.
- It allows anyone to enter the prostitution industry even if an individual cannot make a reasoned decision. Although children cannot join in due to Resolution #4, there is no safety net for vulnerable adults, and the client can easily fabricate their wishes to their advantage and get away with it. In addition, the profession may be a form of sexual assault, where the client takes advantage of a desperate prostitute to commit illicit acts. It is not true that all member states have low crime rates or no crime.
- It is inhumane in the sense that Resolution #167 regards an individual merely as a commodity for sexual pleasure - which may lead to mental health issues for those trapped in the industry.
- It does not even make STI screening compulsory.

It is notable, although not possible to mention in the repeal, that member countries should be free to decide on the legality. As such, we feel that Flibbleites' "replacement" at viewtopic.php?t=147163 would be better. Further, the ambassador who proposed Resolution #167 promoted has been very undiplomatic and hostile, and some of its actions (notably "garish posts") in fact led to moderator action.

Therefore, it is critical that your ambassadors endorse our repeal and vote it into law, so that Flibbleites' minimalist alternative may then be voted on. Thank you.

- Ms. S. Harper, Charlotte Ryberg’s Ambassador.

Now you may comment.

-- The Minoan Ambassador, Ms. S. Harper.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 49 times in total.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:33 am

Boooo, down with insta-repeals.

On another note, if you do wish to submit this proposal, I would suggest changing
CONDEMNING the fact that the resolution concerned has made member countries more attractive for human trafficking and corruption, as member countries would be unable to close down brothels used for illegal activities;

Because that wording makes it seem like an SC condemnation.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:39 am

Fixed to read:
OUTRAGED that the resolution concerned has made member countries attractive for human trafficking, social injustice and corruption, as member countries would be unable to regulate prostitution for the safety of individuals (actions such as outlawing brothels because of the attractiveness for committing organized crime in recluse);

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:56 am

Don't be bannin' mah bitches, cracker!

~ Black Dynamite!, after temporarily removing Mecha-Hitler from his seat, who is also noting that repealing a resolution that's winning at a 2:1 margain is going to be difficult

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:04 am

Nazis in Space wrote:(Image)

~ Black Dynamite!, after temporarily removing Mecha-Hitler from his seat, who is also noting that repealing a resolution that's winning at a 2:1 margain is going to be difficult

Have you taken the "lemming effect" into account, honoured ambassador?

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:49 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:(Image)

Have you taken the "lemming effect" into account, honoured ambassador?

More like the "You're heartless if you vote against this!" effect?

Hell yes I'm for this. We don't want sex slavery to get in our country!

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:12 am

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:45 am

We see no compelling reason for the resolution "Legalizing Prostitution" to be immediately reconsidered. Accordingly, we oppose the submission, approval, and passage of this draft proposal.

If a repeal is submitted after the membership of the World Assembly has substantially changed from when "Legalize Prostitution" was originally adopted, if that resolution is adopted, we will consider it on its merits.

We have not yet determined our vote on "Legalizing Prostitution". However, the existence of this draft is a factor in favor of the resolution now at vote. We urge members opposed to the resolution at vote to attempt to actually stop its passage.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:59 am

Goobergunchia wrote:We see no compelling reason for the resolution "Legalizing Prostitution" to be immediately reconsidered. Accordingly, we oppose the submission, approval, and passage of this draft proposal.

If a repeal is submitted after the membership of the World Assembly has substantially changed from when "Legalize Prostitution" was originally adopted, if that resolution is adopted, we will consider it on its merits.

We have not yet determined our vote on "Legalizing Prostitution". However, the existence of this draft is a factor in favor of the resolution now at vote. We urge members opposed to the resolution at vote to attempt to actually stop its passage.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

Honoured ambassador, I did the best as I could. This is why we've written a backup plan for all scenarios.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:43 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:CONVINCED that the resolution concerned is out of touch with reality

I'd drop this clause and add two new clauses somewhat like this:

* RECOGNIZING that the resolution, by not requiring measures to be taken to prevent the spread of venereal disease, creates a public health threat in many member states

* AWARE that many, if not most, women who voluntarily become prostitutes do so because of poverty and that this resolution therefore legitimizes such actions and puts such women in situations where they can be subjected to sexual abuse and are put at great health risks
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Peace and Omnipotence
Attaché

Founded: Mar 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Peace and Omnipotence » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:02 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:CONVINCED that the resolution concerned is out of touch with reality

I'd drop this clause and add two new clauses somewhat like this:

* RECOGNIZING that the resolution, by not requiring measures to be taken to prevent the spread of venereal disease, creates a public health threat in many member states

* AWARE that many, if not most, women who voluntarily become prostitutes do so because of poverty and that this resolution therefore legitimizes such actions and puts such women in situations where they can be subjected to sexual abuse and are put at great health risks

I agree, this is probably a better statment, and its so true.

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 am

I would've focused more on this line:
FURTHER PROHIBITS Individual member-states regulating prostitution-based enterprises to the point where it no longer becomes profitable for the enterprise, or its employees;

As I said in the other discussion, I don't give a damn about industry profits. As a legislator, my primary concern is with the health and safety of my constituents. And given that the first thing industry groups always do when you try to introduce new regulations is claim that it will make them unprofitable, I would say the above irrationally and arbitrarily restricts nations from introducing common-sense regulations.

-E. Rory Hywel
WA Ambassador for Embolalia
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 am

Jumping the gun a bit. Voting has barely started on the original proposal.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Tekcirb
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekcirb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:06 am

I support this.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:06 am

Wow, Ms. Ryberg...

For once, I find myself at odds with you. :blink:

I understand your fears about human trafficking (I share them with you), but The Rich Port has a proud, profitable market in Adult Entertainment.

We're not sure whether commending this repeal would be in our best interests or the interests of other law-abiding pross markets The World over.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 am

Ovisterra wrote:Jumping the gun a bit. Voting has barely started on the original proposal.

I take it you haven't been around here long. The Insta-Repeal is a tradition that predates even this institution itself. I, for one, whole-heartedly support this.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:22 am

"The Queendom whole-heartedly supports this repeal.

As for the amendments proposed by Christian Democrats, the Queendom wishes to note that we strongly prefer all references to prostitutes, or clients for that matter, to be gender-neutral and that words such as 'women' not be used in this repeal."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 am

Alqania wrote:"The Queendom whole-heartedly supports this repeal.

As for the amendments proposed by Christian Democrats, the Queendom wishes to note that we strongly prefer all references to prostitutes, or clients for that matter, to be gender-neutral and that words such as 'women' not be used in this repeal."

I don't think male prostitutes often are subjected to sexual abuse; though, I do not oppose making that clause gender-neutral.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Alqania wrote:"The Queendom whole-heartedly supports this repeal.

I don't think male prostitutes often are subjected to sexual abuse; though, I do not oppose making those clauses gender-neutral.

Evidence shows that they may be on-par with female assaults (that is, there is no skew to either side) but rather that their assaults are not reported, whether by the victim or by those that know a crime was committed, usually because they don't understand or believe in the concept of the rape of a man.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:56 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Wow, Ms. Ryberg...

I understand your fears about human trafficking (I share them with you), but The Rich Port has a proud, profitable market in Adult Entertainment.

We're not sure whether commending this repeal would be in our best interests or the interests of other law-abiding pross markets The World over.

Ambassador, we support you being given the independence to regulate your adult entertainment industry as we should be, without all that micromanagement. I trust you.

Also, Ms. S. Harper's sympathies to the family of Steve Jobs, the greatest innovator of our time.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RB Rebecca Black
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby RB Rebecca Black » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Human trafficking is not an issue with appropriate regulations.
Political compass:
Economic Left/Right: 1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62

‎"If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?"

- Frederic Bastiat

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:Wow, Ms. Ryberg...

Ambassador, we support you being given the independence to regulate your adult entertainment industry as we should be, without all that micromanagement. I trust you.

Also, Ms. S. Harper's sympathies to the family of Steve Jobs, the greatest innovator of our time.

If this resolution does not outlaw prostitution in The World, merely where it was already illegal, I suppose I can support it.

I don't want to contribute to foolishness, either.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:47 pm

Could we note the intensity and frequency (or harshness) of GA trying to get this passed or would be a rule violating for mentioning forum actions/mod rulings?

Peace and Omnipotence
Attaché

Founded: Mar 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Peace and Omnipotence » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:51 pm

RB Rebecca Black wrote:Human trafficking is not an issue with appropriate regulations.

On the contrary, it is. When something is legalized, there is always room for abuse. The resolution to legalize prostitution does not cover the obvious loopholes that could be exploited.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Peace and Omnipotence wrote:
RB Rebecca Black wrote:Human trafficking is not an issue with appropriate regulations.

On the contrary, it is. When something is legalized, there is always room for abuse. The resolution to legalize prostitution does not cover the obvious loopholes that could be exploited.

And with that, the original author of the thing in question has consistently said that poor regulation will be the problem, not his paper. He insists that this will improve civil rights and the economy. Where is the proof for that?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly