NATION

PASSWORD

[Second Draft] Legalizing Prostitution

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Will you vote yes on this resolution? Only WA members please

Yes, I agree
37%
Yes, I agree somewhat
10%
Undecided
2%
No, I disagree somewhat
8%
No, I disagree
44%

Total votes : 307

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:58 pm

itle: Legalizing Prostitution ( Help me with some changes to it and stuff)
Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant (I'm not so sure this is the best choice for strength)
Description:

The World Assembly,

Prostitution is a choice, therefore people who do this know the risk, but still choose to do it. No government should have a right to anyone's body

ACKNOWLEDGING that prostitution, one of the oldest professions in existence, is illegal in many member states

CONCERNED,(1) that even were this is legal, prostitutes may not have the best protection.(2) No government should have a right to an individuals body. (not sure how to really split them, explain further please)

DEFINES, for this resolution: posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=134557
(1)Prostitution: as the act or practice of providing sexual services to another person (client) in return for compensation.
(2) Prostitute: People who provide such services.
(3) Brothel: As an establishment for legalized Prostitution.

HEREBY MANDATES that all member states residing with the World Assembly must legalize prostitution as a profession.

Prostitutes must abide to the following statements:

(1) Prostitutes are made fully aware of the health and other risk connected to prostitution
(2) All member states criminalize prostitution that is not connected to a organized brothel, even member states with no restrictions on prostitution.
(3) A prostitute has the right to refuse any client or sexual act
(4) A prostitute must be considered an adult in his/her/its nation to acquire this profession.

PROHIBITS the following:
(1) The prostitute to be forced upon sexual conduct
(2) For sexual penetration(Did I use the correct wording?) to happen without some form of sexual protection.

ENCOURAGES individual member states to impose additional protocol or standards that do not conflict with this resolution.

THIS IS THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF THE DRAFT DO YOU HAVE ANY CORRECTIONS?
From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
Dr. Xzavier M.
Leader of The Kingdom of Great Azarath

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:58 pm

I've redrafted the proposal with some of my proposed edits. Use this how you will.

The World Assembly,

VEXED that prostitution, one of the world's oldest professions, is currently illegal in some member states;

CONCERNED that the criminalization of prostitution prevents prostitutes from adequately protecting themselves from abuse and disease;

CONVINCED that all individuals have a fundamental right to bodily sovereignty that no government can rightly violate;

DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, the following:
(1) Prostitution: the practice of providing sexual services to another person (client) in return for compensation, and
(2) Prostitute: a person who provides prostitution services;

hereby MANDATES that all member states legalize prostitution;

ENCOURAGES member states to educate prostitutes and others within their nation about the potential hazards of sexual activity, such as sexually-transmitted infections (STIs) and unwanted pregnancies, and methods to mitigate those potential hazards; and

RECOMMENDS that member states provide free or low-cost condoms and other prophylactics, birth control and STI screenings to prostitutes and others who are at risk of STIs and unwanted pregnancies.

The last two clauses may be partially duplicative of GAR44 "Reduction of Abortion Act."
Last edited by Quelesh on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Herttora wrote:
Connopolis wrote:
Slightly presumptuous to make such assumptions, especially when your argument is based on thoughts.

Yours,

Call me a fortune teller then. And yes, me and my damnable arguments based off thoughts. Damn me for believing a person is not rational for wanting to hurt themselves, how could any monster make such an argument? If a person, due to whatever mental state, desires to harm themselves it should be allowed! This is of course false, if you desire to do such obviously bad things to yourself, you are not capable of making that decision. It will never be this nation's place to say to struggling citizens that it is alright to give in, just take the easy road and sell yourself as nothing more than a piece of meat. Mankind is more than that, worth more than that, everyone of us. If you believe less, then you're not in a rational state. Thoughts are theoretics, empirical science only comes after that.

I'm a monster for allowing people to do what they want with their body? I'm a monster for allowing them rights which would improve their standard of living if granted? I'm a monster for caring enough to allow them to pursue any course in life they want? If those are the criterion of a monster, than call me the boogyman.

Yours while frightening small children while waiting under their bed,
Last edited by Connopolis on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:00 pm

The "brothel" clause really does need to be removed.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Wazkyraque wrote:I think it is more of a issue that the government of the nation should deal with.
Or a moral issue in some cases.
I think I'll remain neutral.

Personally I think no one but yourself should have a right to your body....you should totally be for it :roll:
Dr. Xzavier M.

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:03 pm

I still say this starting us down a very slippery slope. By the argument that a government cannot reasonably regulate what a person does with their own body we might as well legalize cocaine and heroin and meth-amphetamines while we are at it. I mean if a person wants to put those in their body, why should we care?
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Slivary
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Slivary » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Yeah the moderators are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo going to allow this to get past the proprosal state.

Jordsindia
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordsindia » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:05 pm

If this even makes it to the vote and passes im leaving the WA.
Represent

American and Proud!

10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name!

-∮ The Crumpet Cult ∮-

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Dizyntk wrote:I still say this starting us down a very slippery slope. By the argument that a government cannot reasonably regulate what a person does with their own body we might as well legalize cocaine and heroin and meth-amphetamines while we are at it. I mean if a person wants to put those in their body, why should we care?

You are exactly right: governments cannot rightly regulate what a person does with his or her own body. The principle of bodily sovereignty must be sacrosanct.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Title: Legalizing Prostitution ( Help me with some changes to it and stuff)
Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant (I'm not so sure this is the best choice for strength)
Description:

The World Assembly,

Prostitution is a choice, therefore people who do this know the risk, but still choose to do it. No government should have a right to anyone's body

ACKNOWLEDGING that prostitution, one of the oldest professions in existence, is illegal in many member states

CONCERNED that the criminalization of prostitution prevents prostitutes from adequately protecting themselves from abuse and disease;

CONVINCED that all individuals have a fundamental right to bodily sovereignty that no government can rightly violate;

DEFINES, for this resolution:
(1)Prostitution: as the act or practice of providing sexual services to another person (client) in return for compensation.
(2) Prostitute: People who provide such services.
(3) Brothel: As an establishment for legalized Prostitution.

HEREBY MANDATES that all member states residing with the World Assembly must legalize prostitution as a profession.

Prostitutes must abide to the following statements:

(1) Prostitutes are made fully aware of the health and other risk connected to prostitution
(2) All member states criminalize prostitution that is not connected to a organized brothel, even member states with no restrictions on prostitution.
(3) A prostitute has the right to refuse any client or sexual act
(4) A prostitute must be considered an adult in his/her/its nation to acquire this profession.

PROHIBITS the following:
(1) The prostitute to be forced upon sexual conduct
(2) For sexual penetration(Did I use the correct wording?) to happen without some form of sexual protection.

ENCOURAGES individual member states to impose additional protocol or standards that do not conflict with this resolution.

THIS IS THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF THE DRAFT DO YOU HAVE ANY CORRECTIONS?
Last edited by Great Azarath on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Xzavier M.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Dizyntk wrote:I still say this starting us down a very slippery slope. By the argument that a government cannot reasonably regulate what a person does with their own body we might as well legalize cocaine and heroin and meth-amphetamines while we are at it. I mean if a person wants to put those in their body, why should we care?

You're omitting aspects of the situation. This proposal would legalize a harmless, viable, career, while being strongly regulated. Potent drugs, are not harmless, and are not a viable career (obviously), and would still be dangerous, even while under government regulation.

Yours,
Last edited by Connopolis on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Slivary wrote:Yeah the moderators are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo going to allow this to get past the proprosal state.

Why wouldn't they? It's legal, well written, and useful.

Yours in confusion,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Quelesh wrote:

You are exactly right: governments cannot rightly regulate what a person does with his or her own body. The principle of bodily sovereignty must be sacrosanct.

And I can see that you have been partaking in some of the aforementioned chemicals. A government exists to protect it's citizens. By that theory then, yes, agovernment can regulate what you do with your body.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:08 pm

because with the correct regulations it isnt a harm to people unlike illegal drugs!
Dr. Xzavier M.

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Great Azarath wrote:

because with the correct regulations it isnt a harm to people unlike illegal drugs!

I would disagree. I believe that it is harmful.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Jordsindia wrote:If this even makes it to the vote and passes im leaving the WA.

I'm sorry you feel so strongly about denying sapient beings natural rights.

Yours in disgust,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Jordsindia wrote:If this even makes it to the vote and passes im leaving the WA.

I'm sorry you feel so strongly about denying sapient beings natural rights.

Yours in disgust,

Well disgust is what I feel about this proposal thats for sure.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Dizyntk wrote:
Great Azarath wrote:

I would disagree. I believe that it is harmful.

So your saying you wont ever have sex? Please, explain.
Dr. Xzavier M.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Dizyntk wrote:And I can see that you have been partaking in some of the aforementioned chemicals. A government exists to protect it's citizens. By that theory then, yes, agovernment can regulate what you do with your body.

A government exists in part to protect its citizens from others who would do them nonconsensual harm, not from themselves.

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Great Azarath wrote:
Dizyntk wrote:I would disagree. I believe that it is harmful.

Having sex with my bonded mates is NOT the same as offering myself for sale to whoever passes by. If you cannot understand the difference between the two then I truly feel nothing but pity for you.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Dizyntk wrote:
Great Azarath wrote:

Having sex with my bonded mates is NOT the same as offering myself for sale to whoever passes by. If you cannot understand the difference between the two then I truly feel nothing but pity for you.

May I ask the difference, besides feelings held in regards to the second party?

Yours with an inquiring mind,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Quelesh wrote:
Dizyntk wrote:And I can see that you have been partaking in some of the aforementioned chemicals. A government exists to protect it's citizens. By that theory then, yes, agovernment can regulate what you do with your body.

A government exists in part to protect its citizens from others who would do them nonconsensual harm, not from themselves.

I would beg to disagree. It is the government's job to protect them, even if that means from themselves on occasion.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Dizyntk wrote:
Great Azarath wrote:

Same thing......only difference i see is you dont want to impregnate the prostitute
Dr. Xzavier M.

Kuntree
Secretary

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kuntree » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Connopolis wrote:There's a few grammatical errors, but I strongly support the intent.

Yours in good faith,

There IS a few errors? Oh the irony...

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Dizyntk wrote:Having sex with my bonded mates is NOT the same as offering myself for sale to whoever passes by. If you cannot understand the difference between the two then I truly feel nothing but pity for you.

May I ask the difference, besides feelings held in regards to the second party?

Yours with an inquiring mind,

If you do not understand the difference then I am not sure that anything I tell you would make much difference. Just the thought of someone I had no feelings for touching me in a sexual manner is disgusting, to say the least. I

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly