NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft]Repeal of International Road Safety

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:05 am

The St Timothy Isles wrote:I see.... I am sorry. I will take out that part, although I still will keep this repeal judging by the fact that governments cannot create any higher restrictions on international roads, cars, etc.

Governments can still enact more stringent safety standards than the ITSC's standards, so long as these standards apply equally to foreign and domestic motor carriers.

Resolution 83 wrote:PROHIBITS governments in member states from requiring international commercial road vehicles and operators from other member states to meet higher safety standards than those required by the ITSC, unless those higher safety standards also apply to domestic motor carriers.
(emhpasis added)
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:08 am

New Rockport wrote:
The St Timothy Isles wrote:I see.... I am sorry. I will take out that part, although I still will keep this repeal judging by the fact that governments cannot create any higher restrictions on international roads, cars, etc.

Governments can still enact more stringent safety standards than the ITSC's standards, so long as these standards apply equally to foreign and domestic motor carriers.

Resolution 83 wrote:PROHIBITS governments in member states from requiring international commercial road vehicles and operators from other member states to meet higher safety standards than those required by the ITSC, unless those higher safety standards also apply to domestic motor carriers.
(emhpasis added)

What if it doesn't? It forces countries to change their laws to include the domestic motor carriers. That's wrong. >:(
Siv Jackson, Minister of Foreign Affairs and World Assembly votes

DEFCON 5
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan
"The Jonas Brothers are here. They're out there somewhere. Sasha and Malia are huge fans. But, boys, don't get any ideas. I have two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I'm joking."
--Barrack Obama

Create a Mario Kart track!—http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=53596

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:16 am

The St Timothy Isles wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Because it does not state so specifically, does not mean that nations cannot do that.

The resolution does say so specifically here:
PROHIBITS governments in member states from requiring international commercial road vehicles and operators from other member states to meet higher safety standards than those required by the ITSC, unless those higher safety standards also apply to domestic motor carriers.

Nations are not lemmings who can only do as the WA specifically mandates.

That's why I am repealing this!
Side note: This argument in this forum makes our country go to DEEFCON 4

That last highlighted part knocks the wind out of your argument.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:20 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Because it does not state so specifically, does not mean that nations cannot do that.

PROHIBITS governments in member states from requiring international commercial road vehicles and operators from other member states to meet higher safety standards than those required by the ITSC, unless those higher safety standards also apply to domestic motor carriers.

Again:
What if it doesn't? It forces countries to change their laws to include the domestic motor carriers. That's wrong. >:(

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
"The Jonas Brothers are here. They're out there somewhere. Sasha and Malia are huge fans. But, boys, don't get any ideas. I have two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I'm joking."
--Barrack Obama

Create a Mario Kart track!—http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=53596

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:20 am

New Rockport wrote:

(emhpasis added)

Governments that enact safety standards that apply only to foreign motor carriers are not really concerned about safety. They are using safety as a pretext to discriminate against those dang furriners.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 am

Grays Harbor wrote:

Again:

That is grasping at straws. Demands that every eventuality be spelled out sounds like the WA trying to insinuate that governments are too stupid to make laws without the WA holding their hand. Because something is not specifically spelled out or mandated is not sufficient reason to repeal a well thought out and debated resolution.

Not Ta'veren

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:27 am

New Rockport wrote:
New Rockport wrote:

(emhpasis added)

Governments that enact safety standards that apply only to foreign motor carriers are not really concerned about safety. They are using safety as a pretext to discriminate against those dang furriners.

What you just said is true, but what about the people that do care? They are basically screwed because of this. That's even more wrong. I am all about equal treatment, so what about the equal treatment of governments instead of a "Tyranny by Majority" (sorry for the reference to a country type)? This is becoming a little too "Majority Rule". :mad:
Last edited by The St Timothy Isles on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:36 am

New Rockport wrote:Governments that enact safety standards that apply only to foreign motor carriers are not really concerned about safety. They are using safety as a pretext to discriminate against those dang furriners.

What you just said is true, but what about the people that do care?

They're xenophobes, and they should not have their prejudices codified into law under the guise of safety.

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:40 am

New Rockport wrote:
New Rockport wrote:Governments that enact safety standards that apply only to foreign motor carriers are not really concerned about safety. They are using safety as a pretext to discriminate against those dang furriners.

They're xenophobes, and they should not have their prejudices codified into law under the guise of safety.

What if the laws are mainly for terrorist protection?

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:42 am

New Rockport wrote:

Then terrorists can easily get around them by renting a domestic truck rather than bringing a foreign truck over the border.

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:47 am

New Rockport wrote:
New Rockport wrote:

Then terrorists can easily get around them by renting a domestic truck rather than bringing a foreign truck over the border.

Okay. I can't comeback that. Still, every country is equal and is it's own, and they should have their own foreign trade laws. This won't let them.
Last edited by The St Timothy Isles on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:18 pm

HAHAHA! NO COMEBACKS! BWAHAHAHA! :twisted:

Seriously though, I would like tips, not negatives.

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:25 pm

A thread full of virtually nothing but negatives ought tell you something.

Not Ta'veren

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:A thread full of virtually nothing but negatives ought tell you something.

Yes. It tells me that you and New Rockport cannot see the pros, only the cons. Meaning to say, you guys are negative. Just give me tips.

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:A thread full of virtually nothing but negatives ought tell you something.

Yes. It tells me that you and New Rockport cannot see the pros, only the cons. Meaning to say, you guys are negative. Just give me tips.

To: The esteemed delegate from the nation of New Rockport.
From: Ms. B. Taylor, High Comm. for WA Affairs, The Armed Republic of Lowell Leber.

A tip that I offer to you in all seriousness is to drop this attempt to repeal a worthwhile resolution. As I stated in the debate while this resolution was at vote, its just roads for goodness sake.

With Regards,
Ms. B. Taylor
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:

To: The esteemed delegate from the nation of New Rockport.
From: Ms. B. Taylor, High Comm. for WA Affairs, The Armed Republic of Lowell Leber.

A tip that I offer to you in all seriousness is to drop this attempt to repeal a worthwhile resolution. As I stated in the debate while this resolution was at vote, its just roads for goodness sake.

With Regards,
Ms. B. Taylor

Oh, and in the 9-11 attacks it was just a few buildings and planes for goodness sake.
PS: You mean "The esteemed delegate from the nation of The St. Timothy Isles."
Last edited by The St Timothy Isles on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:15 pm

If there were any "pros", we would see them. Now that leaves only the "cons", of which there are plenty. This is not a resolution which requires repealing, it was fullt debated, honed and is quite sufficient. Please explain why I or anybody else who is in favour of keeping this resolution contribute anything to something devoted to repealing what we believe is a worthwhile resolution?

Again, the fact that the negatives have thus far greatly outnumbered the positives, which as far as we can see is "zero", ought tell you that this is not something worth pursueing.

Not Ta'veren

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:

If there were any "pros", we would see them. Now that leaves only the "cons", of which there are plenty. This is not a resolution which requires repealing, it was fullt debated, honed and is quite sufficient. Please explain why I or anybody else who is in favour of keeping this resolution contribute anything to something devoted to repealing what we believe is a worthwhile resolution?

Again, the fact that the negatives have thus far greatly outnumbered the positives, which as far as we can see is "zero", ought tell you that this is not something worth pursueing.

Positives:
• It helps poor countries.
• Governments can pass its own higher laws on international roads and related infrastructure.

It's at two now!

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:

Positives:
• Governments can pass its own higher laws on international roads and related infrastructure.

It's at two now!

It has not been adequetly explained how it "helps" poor countries, other than excusing them from making improvements to shoddy infrastructure. Your solution to "helping" is to ignore the problem, and let it go because they are "poor". That is not a solution.

It has been pointed out that there is no impediment to passing stricter national laws, something you conveniently continue to ignore.

Not Ta'veren

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:

Positives:

It's at two now!

It has not been adequetly explained how it "helps" poor countries, other than excusing them from making improvements to shoddy infrastructure. Your solution to "helping" is to ignore the problem, and let it go because they are "poor". That is not a solution.

It has been pointed out that there is no impediment to passing stricter national laws, something you conveniently continue to ignore.

It helps poor countries by taking away a committee that creates laws that only richer countries can abide with.
I'm ignoring it because it isn't true. Look here yet again:

Anything else?

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:22 pm

The St Timothy Isles wrote:Positives:

It's at two now!

Actually, governments can already pass higher standards for their own roads. So you're down to one. Also, that one will need a lot more explanation before the Imperial Chiefdom is even remotely interested in supporting your draft effort.

Special Envoy Yuri-kan Sokolev
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:

Positives:

It's at two now!

It helps poor countries by taking away a committee that creates laws that only richer countries can abide with.

Anything else?

Are you serious? You are using the same argument, which has already been debunked? I will go slow this time, so maybe you can understand... : unless ... those ... higher ... standards ... ALSO ... apply ... to ... domestic ... motor ... carriers ... meaning ... if ... the trucks ... of ... that ... country ... are ... held ... to ... a ... higher ... standard ... than ... so ... can ... non-domestic ... trucking. There now, was that so difficult?

You know, I am finished argueing this point with you, its like trying to reason with a parrot. You just repeat the same thing over and over again, no matter how many times and how many people point out the falacy of your arguments.

Not Ta'veren

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:41 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:

Positives:

It's at two now!

Anything else?

Are you serious? You are using the same argument, which has already been debunked? I will go slow this time, so maybe you can understand... : unless ... those ... higher ... standards ... ALSO ... apply ... to ... domestic ... motor ... carriers ... meaning ... if ... the trucks ... of ... that ... country ... are ... held ... to ... a ... higher ... standard ... than ... so ... can ... non-domestic ... trucking. There now, was that so difficult?

You know, I am finished argueing this point with you, its like trying to reason with a parrot. You just repeat the same thing over and over again, no matter how many times and how many people point out the falacy of your arguments.

I give up with you.
You know, I am finished argueing this point with you, its like trying to reason with a parrot.
Ditto. >:(

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:10 pm

I ... Need ... Tips ... Now ... Please ... Or ... I ... Will ...

You don't want to know.

DEFCON 5
--Carl Sagan
--Barrack Obama

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:12 pm

The St Timothy Isles wrote:I ... Need ... Tips ... Now ... Please ... Or ... I ... Will ...

You don't want to know.

I recommend putting the most contemporary version of your draft in the first post that way the nice folks here don't have to search for it.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly