NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 96 - Roleplay Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saint Eleanor
Envoy

Founded: Feb 02, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Lara Torridge's Grand Tour of Anaia: episodes 10/11/12/15

Postby Saint Eleanor » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:58 pm

This cutoff:
10. Legalese
11. The 189
12. Bostopia
15. Kryosis

Next cutoff(s):
13. Cobrio
14. Osarius
16. Mriin
17. Flavovespia

[...]
Another OOC note on permissions!

- There are bits about the trains of Jhanna at the start of the Legalese RP which were cleared with Star. Legal has otherwise cleared the RP in full.
- Bos cleared the Bostopia RP, and Monitor cleared The 189 RP, in full.
- Os hasn't strictly cleared the Kryosis RP in full, but I consulted with him prior to writing it, I've presented an advance copy to him and don't anticipate much pushback given he's really just asked me to roll with the "cyberpunk dystopia" vibes of the place. Maggie willing, he should be in a position to assess the Cobrio and Osarius RPs when they are finally in a fit state in the coming days - this is on me for not writing them, not on him. This is why the date jumps nine days between the Bostopia to the Kryosis RP, and why Lara is $105 poorer with no explanation whatsoever.
- Tumbra also cleared the fact that the Group of Six meeting you're reading about at the bottom was set in Straton (a rarity; most of my Go6s these qualifiers have been at home in Saint Eleanor), although with a bit of a reminder to maybe not be so clueless in my venue discussion next time.
- For a rough order of episodes I'll be publishing this cutoff and next, please refer to the guide on your right.

Not permissions-related, but you may wish to refer to Antonia Gore's guide to improper pizza consumption in digesting the latter bits of the 189 skit. Rest in power, Gortolekua.

Group of Six meeting (XV) --- Eraman 0-3 SAINT ELEANOR
Participants: Gentle Breeze, Reniira Clevinger, Stephen Mitcham ~ Bridget Coombe [C], Cathy Winchester [VC], Naresmet taFrexala [ballot]
Location: Premium Coffee; Whitehammer district, Saint Eleanor city, EXT

Stephen here. Everybody was unanimous that this was a strong result with little in the way of flaws, although Narry thought that we were a bit prolifigate with our chances and we needed to push up a bit more in general. We've decided to stick with the same team for the Darmen match - the Greens haven't been up to much as of late and I feel like we can easily exploit them again, putting us in great stead ahead of crunch matches against Tumbra and Auprussia.

The Grand Tour of Anaia - Legalese: Some incomprehensible mumbo-jumbo involved on my coast-to-coast extravaganza

by Lara Torridge - February 11th 2006

After that short trip to Yesopalitha, I figure I need a bit of a rest. Where better to start than on the Starblaydi train network? Well, not quite, actually. The airport staff remain as compassionate as ever.

Exchange rate: 770 NMS = $513.33 (1.5 NMS = $1)

First a short monorail ride from the airport, which is as sleek as I remember it being a week or so ago, to the central train station; and then from there all the way down to Shappington, on the western coast of Legalese. Nobody, on either train, decides to look at me weirdly when I use my Eleanorian bank card this time, which I imagine is a plus. The queues at passport control I find to be somewhat unbearable, even with my Eleanorian passport, which was never entitled to AORTA benefits in the first place; perhaps a consequence of Legalese not being part of the bloc either.

The next thing I have to do at Shappington's train station, which is as grandiose as it is colossal, is to make my way - for what feels like the millionth time, as well - to one of the local bureaux de change. I hear one man complaining that when he went here a couple of days ago, he was offered more like one-and-a-half to his dollar. I figure that maybe this might not be such a bad opportunity after all.

Exchange rate: $513.33 = 924 LEU ($1 = 1.8 LEU, I think)

You would be forgiven for thinking that Shappington, the city, is as mundane as the station itself. It is not - it takes only a few minutes to get from there to the lakeside. It isn't much, and certainly is a bit too rocky to be much of a tourist attraction to anyone other than ramblers of all kinds, but it is still pleasurable nonetheless. I resist the urge to skim one of the rocks across the lake, knowing how bad I am at it. There isn't much to do in the city itself, other than get something to eat; I have a couple of nice, toasty sandwiches with a cup of coffee from a local outlet, which goes down well enough for me.

It's been a while since I've gotten on the bus, so I get my ticket to Basswood from the conductor. I keep myself entertained by reading the newspaper, which I bought from a different shop on Shappington's high street, but there isn't much in the way of news at this time, this being the long post-qualifiers lull. The city strikes me as somewhat repetitive: I want to get another coffee, but I find myself having a steak and a couple of fried eggs instead, which I believe to be good if nothing else. There's a zoo, which I go to and spend a couple of hours at without issue.

Day 1: Summary

What I wore: a tiny little coat, equally tiny jeans, and a pair of sturdy boots
What I spent: twenty units
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 904 Legal Exchange Units

It takes a few hours on the train, but when I arrive at Central Junction - the capital - I immediately think it looks pretty enough, at least for me. The fact that the supreme court's building is, in and of itself, inordinately nice weighs heavily in this factor, although there's nothing to disqualify the other major sites. Then, after a couple of hours of walking, I settle down, have a coffee, a couple of toasted sandwiches... and a muffin. I do need all that energy to keep me going, after all; I'd dread to think how it would affect me if I didn't.

A couple of misconceptions are cleared up after that. I ask a couple of the locals how the local football team, or at least the Legalite national team, is doing; most of them either react with nothing or bafflement. Football is no longer the big deal I suspect it was many moons ago, when Legalese was in competition for World Cup hosting rights and knockout stages. I haven't seen a single car in my couple of days here, either; some more well-informed people on the street say that individual vehicle ownership can be anywhere between unheard of and outlawed, although I still have no idea which. All of this gives me enough confidence for a pint anyway.

There's an awful lot to actually do in Central Junction, as you'd expect from a capital. Not just looking around the streets and getting food, either: there are entire emporiums of different kinds of stuff which you can look at and buy. Many of them either aren't of interest or relevance to me, but I am enraptured by what is one of the highest-quality souvenir shops I have ever seen; everything there is made by hand by a few decently-paid local manufacturers about fifteen miles away. I see a nice, painted fridge magnet featuring some of Central Junction's major buildings and immediately drop some money on that.

One dinner place supposes that it can offer me pasta flavoured, seemingly heavily, with curry spices and chicken. I have immediate distrust of the offering, but take advantage of it anyway. While I need plenty of water to handle the spice, I do so anyway, and enough to thank the waiters for the service on my way out. I'm not sure that was much intended, however; people have told me in the past that Legalese is just not massive on spice without consent. That I go to bed immediately afterwards is testament to this.

Day 2: Summary

What I wore: the same clothes as last time
What I spent: sixty units
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 844 Legal Exchange Units

Another night's sleep, and another few more hours, brings me to Tyrellia, the largest city in the Karin Islands. To my surprise - perhaps for an area of such natural beauty - it is landlocked for miles and miles. I can do nothing except set down at yet another local café, order another coffee and yet more toasted sandwiches - although these have grilled cheese inside. I can tell that this isn't processed cheese. My dad's cooked with that and with slices of slabs of actual cheese. Anyone who's tried enough knows the difference.

There is a great museum and gallery about twenty minutes from here which, essentially, details the history of the Karins. I find it to be interesting, even provocative in parts, especially for someone who didn't exactly do her research before being sent out. There's a library another two minutes from that; I go into a reading room, pick out one of the books about Legalite society from fifty years ago and read it cover to cover... all couple of hundred pages of it.

I've almost forgotten my dinner, so I go to the first place that doesn't look immediately full up and order a burger and chips, and maybe some nuggets if they'd please. It is good and, quite honestly, better than whatever Torch has going on. (The patties are noticeably thick, which never happens with the big chain back home.) There are even places that do dessert as well, although I have to seriously debate with myself to avoid being lured there as well. The hotel is a bit worse than the other ones I've trafficked, but the bedroom amenities are at least tolerable.

Day 3: Summary

What I wore: the same clothes as last time... although I can do without the coat now
What I spent: thirty units
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 814 Legal Exchange Units

Finally - I'm going to a better place that doesn't give off cookie-cutter vibes and everything is picking up a bit. The perfect excuse to dress up like a tourist, rather than a grungy commuter who needs to write a bunch of regional tourism articles for Academy! The journey to Port Hound, best known as the transport hub for the smaller Karin, doesn't take as long - and when I get there, I immediately help myself to a double-chocolate-scoop ice cream from one of the local vendors instead. He thanks me for my custom; I nod back at him and even gobble down the cone when I'm done. I imagine this must be better than whatever Tyrellia was offering.

It therefore takes me a while to board the eastbound Main Line train to Surf City. They have even more ice cream than the Port Hound stallsperson would have made me believe existed - but I suspect I've had enough for a while, I'm calmed down and don't need anything more other than to relax, and barely do anything much. (Okay, so maybe I should get dinner... fish and chips, of course, but that is a story for another time if any.) What is there not to love? I am very much reminded of Lhor, to some extent - all of the short-term hedonism and natural beauty with little of the fashion or culture, or football. And I even got a very nice hotel room out of it... even if it wasn't quite what happened to me in Zijweg.

Day 4: Summary

What I wore: a denim skirt, short-sleeved top, and a pair of trainers - as last time
What I spent: twenty-four units
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 790 Legal Exchange Units

Good, right? That would only be a half-truth. Realising what I've just done (or haven't done), I get up as early as I can, find the train to Central Junction, get off, and then get on the other train to Foxchester - the one place, and if not that then at least the most convenient place, where I can get the ferry to Port Anaia (home of The 189) I need to continue my adventures swiftly. That is not the end of the story, however. Far from it.

I need to find another bureau de change, this time to get my units converted back into dollars; I'm vaguely aware that Port Anaia has its own currency, but also that it's tolerant and diverse enough to welcome dollar transactions as well. I find one woman who insists that she offers the best prices possible on exchange, and then - after some looking - find one place offering 1.3 units to the dollar. I insist I need a substantial discount to make my visit worthwhile, just in case there are other vendors about offering even better prices which neither of us know about yet. For whatever reason, she believes me and offers me an even better rate than I hoped for.

Exchange rate: 750 LEU = $652.17 ($1 = 1.15 LEU)

I board the ferry with immense haste, making it onboard with my luggage a couple of minutes before it leaves, and spend most of the journey thinking about whatever is to come next. We stop at what we think is a little-known part of Port Anaia. It is not. We're asked to make our way to the border, or what exists of it ourselves, although I wasn't surprised to see so few people decide to join the crowd heading there instead of back on the ferry home to Legalese.

Day 5: Summary

What I spent: forty units, but I got a lot more back in change
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 652.17 Eleanorian dollars for ordinary use

The Grand Tour of Anaia - The 189: Where the robots are there to help you... and confuse you

by Lara Torridge - February 13th 2006

There is no border post in Port Anaia. What there is, at least from this small fraction on the Legalite border, is a small currency exchange bureau manned by a charming non-binary person who explains that their home country was not particularly welcoming to queer identities. They advise me - after some off-topic chitchat which largely drifts into the Eleanorian law - that, given how short my stay here is set to last, I have no need to get my money swapped.

Exchange rate: not applicable

I point the teller to a sign which reads only "********************" and ask her what it means. They tell me that this sign is welcoming me to Port Anaia, the main home of The 189, and go on to explain (with some assistance) that the nation is named for **************** (the RSS Itzhak Stern) and the 188 robots it brought here from major social turmoil on their home planet of **********.

They warn me that the robots won't understand Yueyu script, but that anything written in Common should be fine with enough convincing - or indeed spoken, although that might require the writing as a backup anyway, and proceed to joke that I haven't seen the half of getting lost in translation yet. I ask them for a spare notepad and am given one, although it takes me a bit of chasing before I find a pen to go with it.

That pen emerges at a grocery store which, suffice to say, is better known for its tropical fruits than its stationery. The storeholder is a robot, and probably one who has spent more time around the humans than most; an almost inappropriate amount of gesturing is correspondingly involved. I'm told I can have it as a gift, but promise them I'll hand it back to the till in due course. I then look at the stock exchange for a while before deciding that I would rather not play with my money today; not when I could use it for valuable purposes. I come to regret it when another human, a black man who I figure must have been through some tough times, reminds me that it is one of Port Anaia's very few permanent robot fixtures.

When you get to the beach, you will notice all sorts of watersports happening; there is the occasional human child, or robot, trying to build a sandcastle in the corner if you look closely. I don't quite feel up to that much fun at this time, but - wary of the optics, and morals, of skipping out on so much fun for a day - I decide I will leave my notepad with the man who reminded me about the stock exchange, find a place to change off and spend a few minutes swimming, and sometimes splashing about, in the water. It is time well spent. It isn't quite as fully-featured as the Legalite beaches I visited, but certainly more fun than the Grand Beach back home.

I get my notepad back after drying off and ask the first robot I see, or close to it, for help with showing me around. As it so happens, I have chanced upon ********************, who normally works as an earth mover, but is in the sporting world the national baseball team's catcher, ice hockey team's goalkeeper, and among the football team's defenders. I ask them what their preferred role is, and they say they definitely prefer their position on the baseball team when they're not busy with shovelling sand and dirt.

I ask them if they can give me a bit of a look around Port Anaia; they agree, but are limited by their ingrained slow pace. I am invited into a couple of people's homes, although ******************** may not have realised it: I'm easily chased off by the couple of people who warn me not to enter and mostly isolated from them when I am allowed to come in. We visit a few shops, but I don't see anything really worth buying, except maybe a glass of orange juice. They are, however, particularly excited to show me around ******************, the Anaia Stadium, which hosts the 189's home matches in sports. I find myself agreeing with the enthusiasm on the whole.

This has been hard work, and ******************** reminds me - with the expected difficulty - that robot-made food might not be ideal for human tastes. They therefore advise me to go to one of the local human restaurants; I find a nice pizza place, spend a few dollars on something equally nice with a few toppings, and consume it... with decorum, I may add. Heaven knows I need a bit of decorum in these challenging times.

With dinner sorted, I reckoned that will be that for my actual explorations of The 189 and their newfound homeland (although it may not be so novel these days). All I had to do was return the pen and get to Bostopia, which would be quite the challenge given that the southern border is rather more policed than the northern. What followed was the return of the Foxchester ferry - this time done properly, again - a few more trains, and my final arrival at the other end of the country. I do not see the need to bother all of you with that information; this will satisfy your curiosity enough.

Single-day visit: Summary

What I wore: a denim skirt, short-sleeved top, and a pair of trainers - as last time
What I spent: fourteen dollars (plus seventeen cents worth of gratitude)
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 638 Eleanorian dollars for ordinary use

The Grand Tour of Anaia - Bostopia: There is absolutely nothing wrong with this travel report; I promise

by Lara Torridge - February 18th 2006

The Bostopians are much like the Eleanorians: always Anaian, no matter what other people say; serious about border security; a bit stern at times; and mostly willing to get the job done. When I get my visa confirmed by the Bostopian border officer in Kinnston, he advises me (on request, of course) that currency exchange rates are "competitive enough." To nobody's surprise, I end up getting a one-to-one exchange from some man with a pop-up stall who makes absolutely no claim whatsoever to being a currency exchange expert, and I imagine will get arrested in a few days for pretending to be one.

Exchange rate: $638 = £638 ($1 = £1)

It only takes a few minutes for me to get somewhat perturbed by a loud noise in the distance. This, a passer-by assures me, is perfectly intended. Having asked around for help, I learn that this is a regular drill, in which empty cannons are fired towards Legalese to warn them, just in case any conflict between the two - of the sort Bostopia finds itself in with Mertagne as of this moment, albeit on the rather more hostile shores on the other side of the Lake Bekk - arises. I look around town, mentally reaffirm my suspicions that I was supposed to dress neatly in this sort of place, think that the buildings look nice and almost-perfect, and get a bit more food from the local shop which I once again see fit to mow down.

Dissatisfied with the calories I've been getting after a bit more walking and talking, I eventually settle in one of the local taverns, where I am handed an unexpectedly big roast chicken. The key word there is "unexpectedly," but I do finish it all. At the end, I ask the waiter if it is like this everywhere. The drill isn't universal; it's a strictly Kinnstonian pastime. The quality of the food may vary from place to place, and from tavern to tavern. But the buildings in any sufficiently central part of any major city, he assures me, do look as nice as I think they do. This calls for some hitting the road.

I am fortunate to find yet another car rental business in the local area; the salesman advises me that the vehicles here run on hydrogen and that the tanks are re-filled on a regular basis just so the driver doesn't have to endure them once every often. I ask him where Newfort, the capital, is out of pure curiosity; he tells me it's a day-and-a-half away or so, but I tell him I can manage it perfectly fine. And manage it I do: other than a couple of stops to just get out a bit, and one night at a decent local hotel which is not so much local as it is hundreds and hundreds of miles away from Kinnston, I feel satisfied with myself for the day.

What I wore: normal jeans, a long-sleeved top, and a pair of brogues
What I spent: thirteen pounds; I know, another suspiciously round number
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 625 Bostopian pounds

I figure that spending a few days on the road, or close to it, will concentrate my mind enough. That it does - I stop by at a few villages, order some fare at the pubs and restaurants - sometimes a good steak, sometimes even more fish and chips - get some more hydrogen in the tank, and carry on irregardless except for a few roadworks. And then I realise I'm both a few hundred miles away from Newfort and roughly halfway across the country. It is a proud decision, but not quite one of my proudest.

What I spent: nothing, by cash at least
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 625 Bostopian pounds

It takes a good morning's worth of travel, and about twenty minutes trying to find somewhere to park, but I finally make it to Newfort after twenty-four well-interrupted hours of driving or so. It does not take long before someone approaches me on a patio table outside asking about my business, to which I keep up a good conversation about this series I'm currently doing for Academy. I don't feel tired of explaining my life story to people; not when I'm only asked about it a couple of times a week or so out of hundreds of interactions. In turn, I almost forget to order something myself... but decide I'll just go inside and order lunch, which is about as large as I expected.

I can only walk for so long around this part of Newfort before remarking about how many bridges there are linking which appears to be a couple of well-founded communities. There aren't that many, and they are a bit steep, but that is to allow for naval ships to pass; and the bridges themselves only exist to allow people to cross the canals of the two major rivers, one heading into Lake Bekk and the other into the Strait of Chie; and the canals exist in such proximity such that the ships can be easily picked up and moved to the appropriate river. I hear that it is a long and complicated process, and thankfully not one I have to endure today.

At this point, I realise that I have probably walked too far and get one of the buses to central Newfort again. Now here is the real river, the one that gives Newfort its name, the one that has reasonable bridges for reasonable justifications. The water here is, generally, fit to drink, but I would much prefer going to one of the teahouses in the area and having some chai for my delectable pleasure. Whatever was added into this certainly gave me a much-needed boost of energy.

There is an old ford; if there was not, there would not be a new one to give Newfort its name. It is not surrounded by much, other than the stuff of legend. Almost depraved enough to have been in need of anything at this point in the proceedings - and keep in mind it has been a few hours since my cup of tea - I go on to imbibe some of it, go to sleep and am met with Josh Wilkinson from Bostopia and Olympia Woodward from last year's University College school play assuring me that Saint Eleanor are going to do just fine in the World Cup one of these days. I don't know how or why they came to this conclusion, but they did.

You may be asking yourself: why is Josh Wilkinson, my least favourite football player, telling you how good Saint Eleanor are going to be? Are you crazy? I'm not going to comment on that second question nor do I know what motivated the first. I am still left with enough time in the day to go back to the city centre, marvel over the Duke's Palace - which is much the same as the other grand buildings here and in Kinnston, except much grander tahn you'd expect - make a mental note to have a bit more of a look around once peace is attained through some means, then somehow, somehow, get to the airport. At least I remembered to change my pounds back now... didn't I? Right?

Day 3: Summary

What I wore: the same clothes as last time, again, plus the neat little jacket
What I spent: twenty pounds
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 605 Bostopian pounds

The Grand Tour of Anaia - Kryosis: Getting in is the challenge; going around and out of this place proves to be much easier

by Lara Torridge - February 27th 2006

Suppose your name happens to be Lara Torridge and you've just done a couple of days, and a thousand miles, worth of the longest and most entertaining bike ride you've ever had. And then, after returning your bike - to a completely differently-branded rental centre on the other end of some other country who probably didn't take heed of where you borrowed it from initially - you come across a questionable man who you suppose must be somewhat into rugby league, if not lower-division football. What now?

Exchange rate: 150 credits = 500 nyxx ($1 = 1 nyxx = 0.3 credits)

Obviously, you throw that man a few credits to let you pass into the third nation of the Rabastorian Union on this island. Even after he explains the potential pitfalls. I have to give credit to him for doing so - most state actors in the world of tourism would just not do such a thing, but then most states do not seem as hostile to outsiders as Kryosis is. I am nevertheless dragged, after a couple of hours of sojourning, into what appears to be a reception staffed by a mass of identical men. This immediately proves to be my pitfall: one of them brings me a cup of tea which I'm reluctant to accept, then I thank the cleaner for making it for me after I'm done. Not the best start.

Having been confronted about this, I go on to ask how they make their tea. Surely a nation like this would have some sort of secret behind their perfect cuppa. The secret is, in fact, a contraption the kind of which does not exist in Osarius or elsewhere. It is much, much bigger - and, one of the men says without proclaiming further, far more efficient - than any kettle or teapot we have access to. I don't ask any further questions: I know I'm privileged enough to be looking at their high-tech kettle; I fear the dangers from wanting to look at anything else.

The men have their suspicions and ask me to wait for another few minutes; I don't even get extra refreshments out of the deal. I am, nevertheless, cleared to roam around the publically-accessible areas of the site (in the sense that the Kryosi public can access them, of course) in due course. This is Kriminis - the imposing, if entirely underground, capital of Kryosis. Never have I seen so much artificial blue light in one place as I have here. It confuses me greatly, and I have to be accompanied by a couple of the men for a while as I explain to other people what I'm doing here.

I am, at one point, taken to a restaurant. This is not like anything I have had in any of the other nations I've visited so far. I place my order, expecting something vaguely familiar, only to be. It is natural, one of the men insists; there are people who work beyond the Hiedal mountains farming all sorts of animals and grains, which is then refined underground for the best taste possible. I find my meal to be good, even excellent, if not quite perfect. I do not say anything regardless.

I note the suspicious lack of shopping bags in the street, and ask how people get their stuff. They order through a special interface that outsiders would have great difficulty navigating, they explain, and completed orders are almost immediately delivered by superfast, and sometimes even heavyweight, machines. I try to use it myself, and fail, only proving their point. I ask them how sports work; they say they exist, but can't confirm or deny any return to international play. I ask them how tourism works; they don't answer. I then ask where I'm going to stay, to which they usher me into some big government building, take me to floor 37 and drop me off in one of the unmarked rooms there.

I have no idea why I haven't had to pay for anything so far, at least not within Kriminis city limits. I don't think word about this incident has made His Awesomeness, the Emperor, yet. There's a small chance that the identical men at work recognised me as a noble, or perhaps foolhardy, outsider and wanted to reward me appropriately. Or maybe the public has recognised me as being at one with the awesome agenda. Again, I fear to ask.

What I wore: a tiny little coat, long-sleeved top, skinny jeans and tall pair of boots
What I spent: three Osarian credits for safe passage
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 490 nyxx

It takes me about an hour or so walking around Kriminis for me to decide I've had enough of this techno-futurism already - I've already been to Firewood and that was a far more upbeat place, to say the least - and change into something a bit more practical... as if that wasn't already my vibe for the week. That Kriminis is underground, far away from almost anyone else of non-Kryosi nationality, does not help. I spend multiple hours asking the people on the street to free me from this place before I finally get a trustworthy offer: I'm taken outside, beyond the Hiemals, somehow in a matter of hours, and left to fend for myself in the wide open.

I meet a couple of other people while searching around. One of them stares me in the eyes for a while, but does nothing other than that. Another claims to be testing out his fishing equipment, which naturally is far advanced beyond the rod and line (or net) that we humans are accustomed to use. He walks about a mile, points to a small powerboat, and tells me that I can use his fishing boat because he can afford a new one. It is not actually his boat, but - as far as I am concerned - it will get me through the Strait of Chie, out of Kryosis and into a more normal world, with more normal nations, in a matter of days. I will just need a huge meal once I land.

What I wore: the same as last time... but with a bigger coat
What I spent: sixty units
What I've got left over: 95 Eleanorian dollars for emergencies; 490 nyxx
Group of Six meeting (XVI) --- SAINT ELEANOR 4-1 Darmen
Participants: Gentle Breeze, Reniira Clevinger, Stephen Mitcham ~ Bridget Coombe [C], Cathy Winchester [VC], Steve Pilchard [ballot], Arielle Richardson [invited by consensus]
Location: some dodgy bar near the university, northern Straton, TMB

I've given Arielle some strict orders... don't complain, please. And don't take those complaints seriously!

As with my last meeting - post-Arjunnagar, pre-EOT in the front end of qualifying - this meeting took place in a boozy venue. We are keeping off the bottle, however, and hoping that those. (I played for Occidental Olympic while at uni... and the Arsenal scouts didn't get anything out of me after all.) Highlighters: yellow for retrospectives, blue for points about us, green for points about the opposition, pink for pre-match unknowns.

By yet another consensus, this was deemed to be an exceptional attacking performance. Tim Hart, and his substitute Rick Goldsmith, were both persistent in front of goal. Every other potentially attacking player discharged their duties properly for the full 90 minutes, and slippages were few. But Sylvestre Emmitt was, almost undoubtedly, the man of the match. He was not the biggest pest... but he did squeeze past a couple of us to score Darmen's only goal, and so far the only goal anyone has scored against us this World Cup qualifiers.

Arielle wasn't particularly happy about this but I did ask her to get a soda and calm down, after which she miraculously did. But from a more macro point of view, this demonstrates that we have not lost our resiliency. At the time of the goal, Darmen had reduced our lead to 2-1 with most of the second half left to play and they were throwing quite a fair bit at us in the minutes afterwards. But our defence held ferm, kept up the rapid forwards play, and - in another sense - gave us the impetus we needed to go on and confirm the victory.

----------

The number one unknown coming into this match is that we don't know who Tumbra will be fielding! It's a reasonable possibility that they could field the exact same team as they did in Saint Eleanor; it's also reasonable that they could come into this match all guns blazing and with a generally merciless attitude: a draw will require them (vs Eraman) to better our result (vs Auprussia); a defeat would qualify us and almost certainly bump the Eagles to the playoffs.

A quick once-over of the minutes from the past meeting would suggest our previous focuses - forcing setpieces (and cleanly, ideally; we can risk player availability for Auprussia but I'd rather not); stemming the midfield tide; effective counterattacks - hold. The midfield planning doubly holds in the event Tumbra run a 4-1-2-3, as we informally expect - for obvious reasons we have no strict/formal expectations. Steve then decided to invent in response to this "Coombe's Law: The consensus for the next match is the relevant consensus from the last one." Thanks!

Given the consequences of Lydia Nicholls' prolonged absence from the last match and the need to field a strong lineup against what we suspect will be another strong one, we decided against making too many changes and agreed to put forth a flat 4-5-1 (as happened the last time I took notes apparently!), with the primary change from the classic setup being Kichirō Matsuda and Nicholls in central midfield - alongside yours truly, of course. Most likely Lydia and I will be staying back, Kichirō will push forwards in attack if necessary. We can bring on Sylvia Hollenberg (for Lydia) at CM or even Graham Lawson at LM if we need a bit more of an attacking emphasis in the later stages.

Reniira asked about the possibility of doing forwards planning for the Auprussia game. This was shot down by the rest of the group (although Steve was equivocal about the idea). This will be the most consequential game we have ever played. If we don't act like it is... then we will face consequences.
****** The Grand Republic of Saint Eleanor - area 2,863mi2, population 489,816, 1.6 cups of coffee/Eleanorian/day - it's 2000 (OOC: obvious Tinhampton puppet)
BoF76 quarterfinalists --- WC91 participants

Why? George Mitcham, General then and now, cofounded the National Liberation Front in 1971 to demand a free Saint Eleanor. He got his wish in '75 after a 15-month war: becoming President, appointing notable NLF friends and some charity's executive director as VPs and calling them legislators. He has retained power through oil money; zero income tax; free healthcare, schooling, public transport - and markets; tolerating dissent on apolitical matters; allowing private gun ownership (with plenty of training) to protect against future invasions; high-quality PR; and football.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:00 pm

Zenic vs Sylestone @ Philosophia Colosseum, Manacus
Zenic (3-5-2): Mosley; Trac - Hodge (Image 9’) (Dubravko 76’) - Byford; Shuji (Aeneas 62’) - Devor (Image 37’) (Image Image 61’) - Dejulio (Image 37’) - Seamons (Lawal 62’) - Dettmann (Nance 85’); Maruscak (Image 74’) (Aldhard 76’) - Nori

Sylestone (4-4-1-1): Macleay; Wettenhall - Mornington - Faucett (Image 37’) (Blackall 79’ (Image 90+2’)) - Statton; Ryland (Korner 64’) - Rodway (Hellyer 64’ (Image 83’)) - Lawson (Image 37’) - Jones; Sarcav-Jones (White 79’); Strathfield

Zenic 2-2 Sylestone
Image Byford 54’ Image Mornington 58’
Image Dettmann 70’ Image Sarcav-Jones 65’

Sylestone vs Jeruselem @ The Bay Reserve, Betham
Sylestone (4-4-1-1): Macleay; Wettenhall (Holt 58’) - Mornington - Blackall - Molineux; Milligan (Ryland 58’) - Gallagher - Hellyer - Arnold (Jones 82’); Sarcav-Jones; Eastwood (Strathfield 88’)

Jeruselem (4-4-2): Ashwood; Suns - Pundi (Oldman 46’) - Batenshire - Mikami (Image 11’); Lockwood (Dragonskin 68’) - Radahn (Image 55’) - Firestone - Dallas (Ranger 46’); Schiff (Warren 84’) - Sellen

Sylestone 4-0 Jeruselem
Image Eastwood 6' 33' 83'
Image Ryland 79'

In the same week where bestselling Sylestonean author Baxter Marry, author of national classics Jessica Parliament, Prudence and Contraption Chap, reached national headlines through his release of browser-based political simulator StationNates, Sylestone’s national football team have booked themselves a ticket to Mertagne and Huayramarca with a 2-1 triumph over Al-Tamazgha, leaving them seven points clear of the second-placed Commonwealth of Baker Park with two games remaining. The result - which marks the Sentients’ third successive World Cup qualification after defeating Nyowani Kitara in the playoff four years ago and then hosting the 95th instalment - rightly turns the focus of the country back from Marry’s watered-down version of politics, which allows users to answer a regular mixture of realistic and wildly nonsensical “affairs” within their nations like no other political simulator before has seen. Already World Cup fever has hit the site after Sylestone’s qualification - while the game has primarily been marketed to the national public, it already has plenty of traction worldwide - Chamberley user Aiddira began signups on the StationNates’ offsite Thrust forums for a 32-team World Cup roughly five seconds after the full time whistle was blown in Pesfield. While it appeared that Aiddira hadn’t thought about how matches would actually be simulated, it didn’t take long for Mertagne-based user Finance Crest to suggest the use of fellow countryman Anya T. Myrrh’s Thinking Scorinator, which somehow seems to rather impressively provide even more realistic scores than those produced on the sports field. A bit disconcerting, but nothing anybody can do about it now.

Anyway, back to football and away from some silly political simulator that the apathetic people of Sylestone seem strangely interested in. Despite facing a late scare after Mounir’s stoppage time goal gave Al-Tamazgha a lifeline in Pesfield, the Sentients picked up the three points they were expected to as they continued their perfect form at home - critical to their wildly successful qualification campaign. In ten games overall, they have only failed to win their last two away fixtures against Zenic and Raspotochje and although another tricky one looms in Baker Park, the result no longer matters for Sylestone and as a result, probably won’t be putting 100% in.

This is something the Commonwealth will welcome. Needing points to try and stave off the Zenic juggernaut, they could not have encountered Anac’s Hawthorns at a better time. Although they will be searching for an undefeated group stage, no true “body on the line” football is expected to be played and moreover, Anac has already hinted at a little experimentation just to see what works. In particular, Morgan Gallagher is expected to get a good run out with the first team in lieu of his blistering international form, the midfielder netting three goals and five assists in six appearances this cycle.

Let’s see what happens.

Raspotochje vs Sylestone @ Kotiga Arena, Kotiga
Raspotochje (4-4-2): Donskoy; Makić - Kerović (Image 83’) - Matić - Konopkina (Dropulić 80’); Gerulić (Urdić 56’ (Image 72’)) - Robulović - Huilin (Image 13’) (Patoković 80’) - Gero (Sultić 90+4’); Gerotić - Kiltić (Trotsky 80’)

Sylestone (4-4-1-1): Brick Wall; Holt (Image 45+2’) (Wettenhall 65’) - Nutt - Faucett - Martin; Milligan - Murray (Smythe 65’) - Woodfull - Jones (Onus 77’ (Image 81’)); White; Strathfield (Eastwood 77’)

Raspotochje 0-0 Sylestone

Sylestone vs Al-Tamazgha @ The Trees, Pesfield
Sylestone (4-4-1-1): Yali; Cross - Mornington - Nibbi - Statton; Korner (Ryland 85’) - Rodway (Image 65’) (Lawson 69’) - Gallagher - Arnold (Jones 69’); Hellyer; Beauchamp (Strathfield 85’)

Al-Tamazgha (4-4-2): Kweon-Haldane; Rose - Bourkia (Laroui 66’) - Amrouche - Assidon (Gallab 46’); S Benzakour (Trabelsi Mangane 66’) - M Benzakour - Taia (Mounir 83’) - Assaf; Diedhiou (Diouri 83’) - Wafula-Hadjif

Sylestone 2-1 Al-Tamazgha
Image Hellyer 4’ Image Mounir 90+3’
Image Korner 60’

Starting Lineup vs Commonwealth of Baker Park @ BBP National Stadium
Macleay; Cross - Mornington - Blackall - Molineux; Ryland - Gallagher - Lawson - Jones; Sarcav-Jones; Strathfield

Starting Lineup vs Union of Ventura @ Carson Stadium, Cleorough
Charlton; Holt - Nutt - Dowie - Statton; Milligan - Murray - Hellyer - Onus; White; Beauchamp
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Qusmo
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qusmo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:02 pm

The Mathletic
Informed analysis.

Qualification scenarios: World Cup 96 Qualifying
Forecasting Group 16’s likely representatives in the World Cup, playoffs, & Cup of Harmony

In many ways, Group 16 doesn’t seem tipped to have the most exciting run-in for the final window of World Cup 96 Qualifying’s main group stage. If they win their final remaining match or matches of qualification, Hakushiya, Polar Islandstates, Archalit, & Esporonia can earn a maximum of nineteen, seventeen, thirteen, & eight points, short of the twenty-one that second-place Farfadillis has already accumulated, meaning these four bottom teams have been eliminated from World Cup contention. That leaves us only three contenders: Tanirinthia, Farfadillis, & Qusmo. On top of this, it would take a major upset or three to see the standings at the top shift over the group’s final two matchdays.

Qusmo

Qusmo cannot automatically qualify for World Cup 96 by winning Qualification Group 16, but they could still qualify via the playoffs, & they are assured of finishing in the top four of Group 16. Qusmo can accumulate a maximum of twenty-four points, meaning they cannot catch Tanirinthia, on twenty-five. Thus, their only potential route to World Cup 96 is by passing Farfadillis to finish second & reach a playoff. Farfadillis can prevent this simply by earning at least four points — results equivalent to either a win & a draw or two wins — in their final two matches.

Even if the two teams finish tied on points, Qusmo trails Farfadillis by a five-goal margin in goal difference. The next tiebreaker is head-to-head results, where Farfadillis has the edge. The teams traded home wins, but Farfadillis managed a two-nil margin of victory, while Qusmo only won one-nil. Therefore, even if Qusmo manages to earn three more points than Farfadillis, the team would need to accumulate a goal difference of at least six goals better than Farfadillis’s over each team’s final two matches. Given that Qusmo has the group’s fifth-best attacking figures & fifth-best goal difference, while Farfadillis boasts the group’s second-best defensive record & second-best goal difference, it seems an unlikely proposition.

Therefore, Qusmo’s clearest path to a playoff likely involves Farfadillis dropping points to both Hakushiya & Polar Islandstates. If Qusmo defeats both Esporonia & Tanirinthia, while Farfadillis manages to win neither of its remaining fixtures — or if Qusmo earns a win & a draw, while Farfadillis loses in both its final matches — Qusmo will clear Farfadillis on points & avoid having to contest a tiebreaker they are unlikely to win, without a very significant goal difference swing in the final window.

Farfadillis

Meanwhile, Farfadillis will certainly be smarting from its home loss to Tanirinthia this window, but it could certainly be worse. Of course, had they won that match, Farfadillis would be top of the group, assured of no worse than a playoff place, & in position to qualify automatically as long as they matched Tanirinthia’s results for the final two matchdays. Even had they managed a draw, Farfadillis would only trail Tanirinthia for the group lead by a single point & would be in position to mathematically guarantee at least a playoff berth with just one win in their final pair of matches. Even a pair of draws would have likely seen them through to the playoffs if Qusmo wasn’t able to win both of its final matches & to do so by at least a combined margin of at least nine goals.

Unfortunately for fans of Farfadillis, that’s not the world in which we live. However, even with a loss in their most recent match, Farfadillis is in a situation that’s far from hopeless. Should Farfadillis win either of its next two matches — particularly if they do so by a large margin — they will become almost unsurpassable in the race for at least a playoff place. With either a win & a draw or two wins, they would mathematically guarantee themselves a spot in the playoffs or the final tournament, & even a draw & a narrow loss would practically force Qusmo to win twice in succession to close out its Qualifying campaign — a daunting task given Qusmo will play its final Qualifier away to group leaders Tanirinthia.

Unlike Qusmo, which lost its Matchday Seven home match to Tanirinthia four-nil, both Farfadillis & Tanirinthia won both of their reverse fixtures against their final window opponents. Farfadillis may just need one more win against an opponent they’ve already played in order to secure a top-two finish — or perhaps just a single point, if that, if Qusmo slips up in Tanirinthia. Qualifying to the World Cup itself automatically looks unlikely now, but it would take a shocking nosedive for Farfadillis to not at least reach the playoffs.

Tanirinthia

Don’t look now, but Tanirinthia is on the brink of being one of the surprise teams of World Cup 96 Qualifying. Sure, the Mighty Oaks were a Pot 2 side, but they were the very lowest-ranked team from said pot, & they were paired with the third-highest-ranked Pot 1 & Pot 3 teams in Qualifying, plus a top-100 former World Cup champion from Pot 4 & the reigning Baptism of Fire champions from Pot 5. With incredibly tough competition below & above it in the rankings, the road ahead for Tanirinthia looked perilous even to secure a playoff spot, let alone an automatic place in World Cup 96. However, Tanirinthia was assured of securing no worse than a playoff place with as many as three matchdays remaining in Qualifying, & they are in a commanding position to win their group with a single window remaining.

Not only was winning the group not certain at the outset of Qualifying, but Tanirinthia has managed to dominate every opponent set before it. They have done the double over both Archalit & Farfadillis, its two highest-ranked opponents, & have only failed to win two of their ten matches thus far: a bizarre draw with Esporonia, amounting to half of their opponents’ total points in Qualifying thus far, & a tightly-fought, high-scoring loss to Hakushiya just days after the team’s critical & emotional away win against Farfadillis. Just three points more are required for Tanirinthia to guarantee its World Cup qualification, meaning the only way Tanirinthia could slip into the playoffs is a three-match winless run to end the group stage, following a nine-match unbeaten run with eight wins & a draw in total.

Tanirinthia’s remarkable success has been no fluke, as the team has recorded the most goals scored, the least goals conceded, & the highest points tally accumulated in the group. After just ten matches played, they boast the best goal difference in Group 16 by a margin of ten goals over second place — a team which has not only qualified to World Cups of late, but which has won multiple knockout matches at both the past two World Cups. With a forty-two-team gap between Farfadillis & the closest other Group 16 team in the rankings, Tanirinthia has been showing off the kind of consistent, effortless domination that analysts might have expected from their counterparts from Arrosia. It is deeply impressive, & there is no reason to believe it will let up now.

Cup of Harmony

With World Cup qualification in Group 16 looking fairly settled in every way but mathematical, a new race has emerged: the race for Cup of Harmony qualification. Krytenia has placed a bid to host the second-tier international tournament, stipulating that sporting merit would comprise a major factor in its invitations, unlike the purely media- & storyline-driven invitation processes which have so often been put in place to maximize organizers’ television ratings & revenues. While not a complete shift away from this model yet, & while not even approved yet by the World Cup Committee, it’s worth taking a look at what could be.

If Krytenia hosts the Cup of Harmony, it will accept forty-eight teams into its competition. Each Baptism of Fire 83 semifinalist will be assured of a place in the tournament, subject to their federation’s interest & other factors, while the next forty-four teams in World Cup Qualifying will also be awarded places on sporting merit, provided they meet other preconditions. While some teams which meet the sporting merit requirement will doubtlessly still fall short on other metrics, we have no way of knowing how many. In a worst-case scenario for teams on the bubble, then, the goal must be to finish fourth or better in one’s group: every playoff loser & third-placed team, plus fourteen of the twenty fourth-placed teams, would satisfy the sporting merit condition.

Currently, the fifteenth-best fourth-place team is on fourteen points — but two of those top fourteen fourth-placed teams have already met the standard via participation in the Baptism of Fire semifinals, including champions Hakushiya from Group 16. As it happens, the closest other team in Group 16 is Polar Islandstates, on eleven points, meaning Hakushiya will earn a spot on both Baptism of Fire & World Cup Qualifying sporting merit, which will transfer one of their places to the fifteenth-best fourth-placed team. That means that any team finishing at least fourth in their group, with at least twenty points, will qualify for the Cup of Harmony, subject to the nonsporting factors still extant in Krytenia’s bid — & that Krytenia’s bid wins at all, of course.

So if Qusmo does not manage to make it all the way to the playoffs this cycle, there is still something to cheer for. Qusmo needs only two more points this cycle to guarantee its spot in any potential Cup of Harmony hosted by Krytenia. Meanwhile, Farfadillis & Tanirinthia have both clinched the sporting merit component of Cup of Harmony qualification in the Krytenian scenario, as has Hakushiya due to the Baptism of Fire. It could be that a home match against Group 16 bottom-dwellers Esporonia could be all that stands between Qusmo & a trip to another valuable international tournament as it begins to return to the world stage.

Run-in        MD     Opponent               Rank   RevFix     Pos   W   D   L     GF   GA   GD     Pts
Qusmo 13 v Esporonia 229 2-0 W 7 0 2 8 13 32 −19 2
14 @ Tanirinthia 46 0-4 L 1 8 1 1 32 16 +16 25

Run-in MD Opponent Rank RevFix Pos W D L GF GA GD Pts
Farfadillis 13 @ Hakushiya 172 3-2 W 4 4 4 3 29 26 +3 16
14 v Polar Islandstates 96 2-1 W 5 3 2 5 18 27 −9 11

Run-in MD Opponent Rank RevFix Pos W D L GF GA GD Pts
Tanirinthia 13 @ Polar Islandstates 96 2-1 W 5 3 2 5 18 27 −9 11
14 v Qusmo (UR) 4-0 W 3 6 0 4 19 18 +1 18

Pl  Grp   Fourth-Place Team         Pts   GD     RM   BoF   MIH
1 10 Banija 19 +5 * 10
2 17 Captina Island 19 +3 **
3 18 Carpathia and Ruthenia 18 +5 * 13
4 6 Ardsk 17 +7 ** 16
5 3 Sajnur 16 +4 * 12
6 1 Pyazhnaya 16 +3 * 13
= 16 Hakushiya 16 +3 * 11 11
8 19 Aphrilia 16 +2 **
9 11 Britonisea 16 +1 * 14
10 20 Mytanija 15 +1 * 14
11 4 Bears Armed 14 +9 **
12 13 The Kytler Peninsulae 14 +4 **
13 8 The 14 Stars 14 +3 **
14 2 Eura 14 -2 **
15 9 Vyktoria 14 -3 **
16 12 Raspotochje 13 +3 * 13
17 5 Aleirave 13 +2 **
= 7 Adab 13 +2 **
19 15 Darmen 13 -2 * 6
20 14 Sudilia 11 -3 **

Key:
RM Remaining Matches
BoF If the fourth-place team is a Baptism of Fire 83 semifinalist,
the points total of the group’s fifth-place team’s is listed
MIH If the fourth-place team has played eleven matches,
the points total of the group’s next-best-place team with a match in hand is listed
Hello! It's nice to see you again.
Qusma projects include: uni·q · Free Qusmo · Original Qusma newswire
Puppets: Sanford · Space Laser Dinosaur Robot Pirate Land · Xuois · The Heraion · UNI-Q
Feel free to newgen Qusmi'y for your leagues with this Qusma name generator, which generates fifty new Qusma names upon each page refresh.
Support: Good things
Against: Bad things
Neutral: Other things
"what the fuck qusmo"

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 24, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mertagne » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:05 pm

Matchday 13-14 RP Cutoff!

This is it! We reach the end of the qualifiers in an explosive fashion. Some of you may rise, and some of you may fall flat at the final hurdle! Best of luck to all of our competitors!
user pronouns: he/him

The Nation of Mertagne - World Wonder Wizard!
Capital: Dannin ⨳ Trigram: MRT ⨳ Demonym: Mertagnian ⨳ Map: Here!Anything Else: Here!
combined a jet engine with fireworksANAIA NATIONAuthor of NS Issue #1508

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:06 pm

Sporting Times Weekend © 2024
BP on the brink as draw allows Sentients to clinch top spot
by Mindy Cartwright, National Soccer Editor

The Commonwealth of Baker Park National Team got some good news and some bad news on their matchday 11 bye, which saw them travel for a friendly against Juvencus on the way to Union of Ventura.

The good news came from Dazza Dallas Stadium where Jeruselem defeated Zenic to keep the Survivors at bay as well as Sylestone being held to a scoreless draw by Raspotchje in Kotiga. The Bees came away from their match on Sonnel with a 3-3 result that left everyone happy.

It was the follow on to matchday 12 where the bad news comes in, as both the Sentients and Survivors took all the points in home fixtures while BP faced off a Ventura side that had failed to register a point thus far. Of course the law of averages came into force for this particular situation as Baker Park were held 1-1, their fourth draw in the competition through 10 matches.
The failure to keep pace with Sylestone means that the upcoming match at the BBP National Stadium will be important only for the hosts remaining ahead of Zenic, who will welcome Park in the finale at the Philosophia Colisseum in Manacus for the decider as to which nation will advance to the playoffs.

Manager Will Barnard will go into the final two fixtures with the attitude that only taking all six points will be acceptable regardless of happens elsewhere.
“We've left ourselves with a steep hill to climb as we did last time by not being able to get results when we needed them. It's the beauty, I suppose, but also the bad side of this type of qualifying format, same as last time, where slipping up away from home takes a bigger bite out of your chances. Jeruselem showed their dangerousness against Zenic and Raspotochje also inadvertently helped us out, but you can get all the help in the world but if you don't help yourself...”

Asked about the trip to Juvencus Barnard proclaimed his satisfied with the extra matches in both halves of this tournament.
“Juvencus are a good opponent, they've always been a fair opponent, one that is very close to us in the rankings. We always look forward to chances to travel to Sonnel, they have some strong nations that provide challenges to us. Although we played the Reapers (Quebec & Shingoryeo) back in warm-ups before quali I had no real problem going there during the matchday 4 bye, tough conditions that our players actually were really excited about because although as kids you play in the rain, snow, sleet, whatever you don't always do so as pros. There is no such thing as a match that we're not willing to play. People know, people have always known that we are the anywhere, anytime traveling circus, as Pam used to call it.”

The match against Sylestone will come on the Accession Day ** Bank Holiday which will certainly raise the patriotic fervor a bit higher both in the buildup and inside the stadium ##.
“We don't expect them (Sylestone) to coast the rest of the way, they do have a chance to finish without a loss and Zenic will also be on overdrive in these last two matches. This is when we should be able to draw upon our history and get this done.”

lineup vs Sylestone MD 13
Callaway; Jones, Kucera, Schulman; Park, Ryan, Vetter, Altman (C ); McDavid; Harris, Diaz
subs: Rossi, Bruce, O'Connor, Walker, C Logan, D'Alessandro, Garfield, Boyle, Moorman, Price, Coleman

lineup vs Zenic MD 14
Rossi; Bruce, O'Connor, Walker; C Logan, D'Alessandro, Garfield, Boyle; Moorman; Price (C ), Coleman
subs: Callaway, Jones, Kucera, Schulman, Park, Ryan, Vetter, Altman, McDavid, Harris, Diaz

is date of the investiture of the first Prince Regent of the Commonwealth, Wilhelm Frederick of Oldenburg, in 1893. It was not an elaborate ceremony like a coronation would be, in fact Prince Frederick was the only person to ever wear the Commonwealth State Coronet as his successors took the oath while touching the regalia in addition to a Bible. It has always been seen as the date when the Commonwealth reached the end of the beginning of the nation. (The 94th day of the calendar year—April 4 or April 3 in a leap year—is the start of the government's Official Budget Year)

##
has strangely evolved into a concurrent celebration of flags, especially in recent times the individual flags that make up the current Commonwealth of Baker Park Flag—the Union Jack, with the crosses of St George, St Andrew and St Patrick; St David's Cross, the Navy Ensign which was the basis for the original Baker Park National Flag, and a subtle nod to the Oldenburg red and yellow horizontal stripes. There will be a huge number of fans waving those particular flags or the current national flag that is commonly referred to as the “Stars and Crosses”.

_________________________________________________________________________________

The History of Television in Baker Park
Part Three

The Commonwealth Broadcasting Corporation (as it was known after 1953) had a monopoly on television airwaves from the beginning of its entry into the medium in 1947, and largely focused on entertainment rather than news and public affairs coverage so as not to compete against the National Radio Corporation (which received funding from the Ministry of Communications) and print media, especially The Daily Mail and Belle Haven Daily News along with the Commonwealth's most read weekly periodical Home & Abroad, all of which were part of the Baker International's holdings.

The duopoly began to break up in 1951 when the CBC made the decision to get out of the radio business altogether, which inspired Jeffery D Coleman—publisher of the Shirley Exponent—to search out investors to buy the five strongest powered stations from the CBC. The Nationwide Radio Network began the next year with five stations in Shirley, Lima, Ezriquay, Newport and Middletown.

There were calls from many citizens to expand TV offerings to other potential station owners who were looking to provide locally produced programming and the Ministry of Communications made plans to offer four channels for bid over each of the following three years. Channels 2, 4, 7 and 9 were awarded in 1953 to a consortium that had their own idea for a rival network which became known as the National Television System. Just as with the establishment of the NWR from the ashes of CBC Radio, there were concerns that both of these newer entities would wrongly be associated with The National Radio (this change to this branding by the NRC was one way of stressing the differences).

NTS went on the air in 1954, seven years after the establishment of the CBC television 'empire' and at the end of their debut NTS scooped up the last two available VHF channels, 11 & 12 while the The Times Corporation got Channel 14 and the CBC gained it's first affiliate outside of the six state capitals when they won the rights to Channel 15 in Lima.

Channel 14 remains the nation's leading independent station with it's own in-house produced programs as well much of the earliest imported English language programming seen in the Commonwealth. It was a largely Belle Haven centered channel with more locally relevant shows than the networks produced; Saturday afternoons were given over to sports, with horse racing from Northwestern Park in the suburbs often getting a 2 hour block (obviously it was only for entertainment purposes as no legal off track betting existed then and the way to combat illegal bookmaking was to change up whether the race was shown live or on delay).

The CBC carried over several programs from their radio programming to the TV division, making them full fledged on camera shows such as The Family Stone, the popular radio comedy that became Baker Park's first daytime “situation comedy” and Quizzical where two contestants go head to head to win prizes, which always followed The Family Stone on radio and again on TV.
Another transfer was Man On The Street, where the host did a talk show that had well known celebrities on for interviews inside a large set much like a department store window display where the public could gather to watch. The last 10-15 minutes were devoted to various people chosen at random by production assistants to step into one of the two MOTS public booths to chat with the host, who would engage in chit-chat and then offer a small token prize. Henry Gilliard was the host over all 13 years on radio—he was also one of several rotating emcees for the evening variety broadcast--and the first three years of the TV version, replaced gradually by Peter Daniels who broadcast the last episode in September of 1958.

The 1950's were one of the most creative periods in the history of the Commonwealth in terms of writing, performance, production and innovation within the cinema, stage shows and television; like in many other circumstances through history, the paternalistic shadow of the Baker International in giving a particular industry or area of business a chance to find its way then allowing others to come in and benefit is a testament to how a major multifaceted corporation operates in the best interest of all citizens.

(Part 4—more expansion and public interests)
Last edited by Commonwealth of Baker Park on Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Vyktoria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 04, 2024
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vyktoria » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:24 pm

OOC: Just allocating my scorers, nothing more, seeing we're out. The users involved are free to do as they wish with the matches.

WCQ RECAP: MD13/14
Pasarga 1-1 Vyktoria
41' K. Arland III (W. Salman)
65' A. Pasargan-Player

Vyktoria 0-1 Independent Athletes from Quebec
83' A. Quebecois-Player
Last edited by Vyktoria on Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Commonwealth of Vyktoria
Capital: Wyckham ¤ Demonym: Vyktorian ¤ Trigram: VYK ¤ Population: 13 million ¤ Tech: Post-Modern
28/NB/Australia ¤ She/They ¤ Content Creator ¤ Game Dev ¤ IT Technician
Author of The Comprehensive Traveller's Guide to the Itavr.
Football: BoF 83 Quarter-Finalist

X IC = Itavran Calendar ¤ Itavran Sector is a Space Alliance ¤ Vyktoria is on Itavrnai II
Vyktoria was Vyktory ¤ The Drakonian Commonwealth was NexxusDrako ¤ Itavr is The Drakonian Commonwealth
Itavran Calendar starts on Baptism of Fire 54 (1 IC) and ticks every NSWCQ & NSWC

Kamijiro
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 27, 2023
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kamijiro » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:49 pm

And with that... our World Cup dreams are over. It looked good through matchday thirteen, with the Lightning taking a 1-0 away win over the Socialist Republic of Lower Tranmere while Baggieland lost to the Kytler Peninsulae 0-1. This was exactly what was needed through that matchday. In the fourteenth and final matchday of the group stage, the Lightning kicked off at home against HUElavia while Baggieland were at home against Krytenia.

It became increasingly clear that HUElavia weren't going to concede as the match went on. Shot after shot from Kamijiro either went off-target or safely into the hands of Ji-Hu Mok, who was clearly unphased by the desperation of the Kamijiroan attempts to find net. Sandro Becker nearly found a winner - but it was cleared off the goal line.

Moreover, the goal notifications from over in Baggieland started rolling in mid-way through the first half. They'd gone ahead - and their lead kept growing. No matter the result in Kamijiro, a win for Baggieland would eliminate the Lightning. The players on the pitch didn't know, as seen by their fervent pace and pressing (cell phones and the internet are not allowed in the dressing rooms in Kamijiro), but the atmosphere in the stadium was noticeably dampened in the second half as compared to the first.

At full-time, the players were given a standing ovation for their efforts throughout qualification. It's been a nice ride, actually. The Lightning only lost twice throughout the entire group stage (although five draws is quite a lot) and conceded only nine goals in twelve matches. The full factbook will be updated soon and can be found here. It was a pretty damn good showing for the Kamijiroans in their first appearance in the international scene since the St. Jerome Split. There's no shame in third place, especially considering how close they came to sniping second place.

As always (and one last time for World Cup 96), the match reports are listed below.

Matchday Thirteen:
Socialist Republic of Lower Tranmere 0-1 Kamijiro

Events:
Yellow 3' | (KJR) Manager misconduct - R. Kagawa
-- HALFTIME --
GOAL 58' | (KJR 1-0 TRA) - L. Faamate, assisted by K. Fujiwara
-- FULLTIME --

Matchday Fourteen:
Kamijiro 0-0 HUElavia

Events:
Yellow 87' | (KJR) Dissent - S. Becker
-- FULLTIME --

Up next, the Cup of Harmony. If my sources are correct, Kamijiro will participate in the Cup.

Again, one last time from the World Cup, thanks for reading, keep fighting the good fight and GO LIGHTNING!

- Denki Horiguchi, Kamijiro Football Fan Page.
Winners of Baptism of Fire 81
Quarterfinalists - Di Bradini Cup 55
Round of 16 - Cup of Harmony 88

Delte
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2022
Anarchy

WCQ-96 MD13-14

Postby Delte » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:24 am

Delte 4-2 Conania
Sports Correspondent Kim Samrodd at Ildemorton Road for the Rothwarrodton Recipe & Puzzler Weekend Edition
I won't dwell overly long on the finer details of this match but certainly mention should be made of the performance of half-time announcer Bernie Timburley, who may well get man-of-the-match award for turning around the fortunes of The Reps in this final qualification home game, even though to lose would be an irrelevance, what with qualification already sealed. Bernie of course is already highly admired for his PA skills, for his ability to cheer up a Deltic audience inundated by those rainy valley showers with his hilarious commentary of the half-time dizzy stick penalty shoot-out with the lucky ticket winner from the stands, and for his informative explanations of where TJUNia or Ishadonia or indeed Conania is in the multiverse, or where Vilita was, or where Wight will be one day. But when confronted with a shocking half-time deficit of 0-2 to The Connies, he lead a capacity crowd of 12,000 in a rousing chorus of the stoic anthem, 'Don't Jump Off The Roof, Delts (You'll Make A Hole In The Yard)' which surely must have been heard down in the depths of the changing rooms, and was more than any half time team talk possibly could be. It seemed to do the trick, as Captain and hero Enor Perro came out and scored four goals almost all on his own. We should give four assists to Bernie Timburley for his timely musical intervention. And by the way, he can hold a tune too.

At the same time, or maybe a few minutes before...

Gnejs 1-1 Delte
Citizen journalist and 'Green Hedge' travelling ultra Tyrell de Turqua at Kejm Park in Port Kejm, Gnejs for Garbalsleight Parish Newsletter
I've been all over the multiverse supporting The Reps and suffice it to say the Away Team Mission always gives you something to write home about. In Port Kejm I was surprised by the determined neutrality of the people of Gnejs when we introduced ourselves as Delts. It was quite a mixed reaction. People seemed initially to be either delighted or horrified by the introduction, and quite unable to mask their first thoughts. But before being kissed on the lips or smacked in the mouth, propriety seemed to take over and they became the very embodiment of cool and slightly distant composure. Like they wanted to love or hate you but had been told to do neither of the sort. That was usually followed by a question about the Women's Institute, like 'did you bring The Ladies with you?' or 'have you ever been to Rake Teinton - what's it like?' followed by a baffled silence when you said you'd never heard of the place. I mean, who even heard of the Rake Teinton WI, outside of Rake Teinton? Oh wait a minute, come to think of it, there was something in the news when we left about a motorcycle accident, and potholes, and some angry ladies protesting about the State of Things.

Anyway.

It was a tough match against Enda Clentin's new team, and they play the stoicpress like they really mean it. All in all, getting a late equaliser to preserve our unbeaten qualification campaign seems like a fair result.

I hear the home team got a late winner or two to preserve our unbeaten qualification campaign. Which is nice.

Even By Your Usual Standards
6/6 - Open In The Event of My Death, by Polka Lunn
The Rise & Rise of Coach Ida Spankhurst

‘Even by her usual standards,’ said The Editor, the editor at the Oswark Parish Advertiser and last employer of the late Polka Lunn, waving around a manuscript despairingly, ‘this is rubbish. She really was an awful writer. I should use this submission in my Future Journalist’s nightclass at the Vocational College, on how not to write an investigative article for a newspaper.’

He was of course looking at Polka’s abortive attempt to find out what happened to Socialist States Owen, and why the Eurans were so secretive about the whole affair. The Editor wanted to revisit highlights from Polka’s career as part of a series for her obituary. He was coming up short on printable material. It would’ve been a whole lot easier if he’d received the envelope posted from Shingarter dramatically marked ‘Open In The Event Of My Death’, but that had been intercepted right off his desk without him even knowing it had arrived.

Even the first line was dynamite: ‘You are receiving this manuscript now because I have been offed by the Rake Teinton Women’s Institute, who are protecting a dire secret to take over the valley, and have agents operating in all the key institutions ready to strike. I’m pretty sure they even have hired assassin [sic] who is on my tail right now.’

Alright, maybe dynamite is a stretch. But by Polka’s usual standards, this was good. And she was right. The office cleaner at the Parish Advertiser, Ackelda Aughins, had been looking out for that envelope ever since they ‘offed’ the journalist. She was a WI mole. And they had hired an assassin to make the murder look like a motorcycle accident.

‘I recently received my motorcycle licence,’ continued Polka’s letter, ‘which I hadn’t even applied for. I believe they intend to kill me and make the murder look like a motorcycle accident. If this has happened, and you are reading this, then I say - I have never ridden a bike in my life and I never will! This is a dangerous conspiracy. First, they will take the All-Week Super Ultra Premier Football Association, and from that office will eventually engineer a coup d’etat at the River Trust. Democracy itself is under imminent threat! I have had this letter placed in the trust of people who oppose the WI - and now you are reading it. So it is time to act! Hurry!’

Ackelda took the letter home at the end of her cleaning shift, set fire to it, and threw the ashes in the dustbin.

Five days earlier, at Polka Lunn’s rented room in the Teinton View Bed & Breakfast:

‘Room service! Breakfast, Ms. Lunn.’

Agent-2B, dressed as a housemaid with the nametag ‘Mandy’ has brought breakfast to room 7. Eggs sunnyside up, crispy bacon, fresh coffee, orange juice with bits never from concentrate, hot buttered toast, and novichok-infused marmalade.

‘Enjoy,’ she says with a warm smile, ‘before another hard day doing whatever it is you do.’
Last edited by Delte on Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOW GREEN IS THE VALLEY
AND ALSO THE RIVER

Wight
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
New York Times Democracy

WCQ-96 MD13-14

Postby Wight » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:25 am

Búa Rising In Myosophogos
4/6 - Constellation Cuon Major
Or, why Wight, why now?

We interrupt our story about the slight return of Wight to delve into some astrogoetianology, which is a psuedo-science I invented to describe the star signs and resultant characteristics of the Wightlings.

‘It’s misty in the month of Misky,’ goes the famous old song. Well I say famous, you’ve probably never heard it because it’s an old song. And it’s only famous in Wight. So. Probably not. But I mention it here because it’s the perfect segue into a short article about Cuons - those people born in the late winter month of Misky, under the planet Miskatonia in the constellation Cuon Major. Sailors in the way back times, navigating by the stars, would see Cuon Major as a sign that their circumnavigations across the far faraway were coming to an end, and home would soon be on the horizon. It was a promise of better times to come, as the month of Misky is the promise of the coming summer, and the mists are not impenetrable after all but merely to be enjoyed like the wrapping on your birthday presents, a thin and evocative covering of happy things beyond immediate sight. The legendary and entirely lovely figure Donna Maw is that devil of Wight associated with the Cuons, and appropriately enough their - and her - familiar is the fox. She is the symbol of construction, of plans and designs, of shaping the future; she is the High Priestess, irresistible and inevitable in her progress toward a better tomorrow. The bright orange fox at large in the cold grey-white world after the sodden ministrations of a hard winter is the marker that spring will soon be sprung. The main characteristic of those born under the star sign Cuon is the architect - imaginitive and diligent, always looking to improve and to shape the world for others. Some might consider them aloof or manipulative, but that is because they don’t think so much on an interpersonal level, and individuals are of less interest to them than the collective. They want what they think is best for everyone, and your own opinion is not especially important to them.

‘Tarah-tee, tarah-tum, picalilli rye and plum,’ continues the famous old song. At which point we depart from musical similes since the famous old song is mostly a nonsense rhyme of no meaning at all. A quite legitimate accusation levelled at the astrogoetia too.

Anyway.

Cuons are represented by two players in the Wightling squad, both in the back-up ranks of the bench - midfielder Ereuthalion Alba and reserve goalkeeper Iphicus Mongleath Oxheart, both of whom coincidentally play second string to our two ‘fools’ - Sam Bansa and Lux Minor. Ereuthalion is unquestionably the quintessential Cuon - dashingly good-looking, a brilliant initiator of play at the heart of midfield, wholly unselfish, and representative of the future of the Wightling team, what with Sam Bansa being the elder veteran of the team who played as a youngster in the last abortive attempt to revive the old World Champions. A future captain, a future star, and a very straight posture. Some might think him arrogant, but he is merely self-assured and knows what’s best for everyone. Iphicus too cuts an impressive jib - a sweeper-keeper of imposing height and physicality, he can play out from the back with every confidence when he has the ball at his feet, and he sees the positioning and the play ahead of him, he reads the game brilliantly. Like all good Cuons, he’s always very certain of his decision-making, because knows what needs to happen next. Not so young that you might call him the future of the Wightling team, he is surely the best back up you could ask for when you start to get nervous of Lux Minor’s shenanigans between the sticks and need a calmer hand at the tiller.

In the next post, we will return to The Gentlemen Interregnum’s administrative adventures as they try to revive the nation of Wight in all it’s glory.
::: WIGHT :::
BECAUSE REASONS

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:29 am

The Social Media Quarterly

Sports

Area man neglects to update bi-daily World Cup blog - «I’m just really busy right now»
By: Valter Torsktunga.

Ever since Segeltorp area man Jakob Jensson was made custodian of semi-popular online journal publication The Times, he has usually made a habit of updating the World Cup themed blog on a bi-daily basis. Somehow, he always manages to steal an hour or so from his surprisingly busy municipal officer employment down in City Hall to post moderately amusing musings for the rest of us to enjoy. Whereas earlier iterations of the blog in question - when it operated under the names The End(a) of Times and/or Time for Enda! - was often criticized for its bias and contributing to festering division and strife in the Union online football community, the latest rendition, with Mr. Jensson in charge, has instead been hailed for its fair and balanced approach in regard to Enda Clentin and his role in the fortunes and misfortunes of the Gnejs national football team.

With The Dandelions narrowly managing to sneak past the Jaguars of TJUN-ia and book a ticket to the World Cup Qualification Playoffs, many have been eager to tune in and get the kind of lukewarm take and derivative analysis Mr. Jensson has become the main ether source of these last couple of weeks. However, neither today nor yesterday saw any updates to The Times website and many have articulated their frustration in light of this sudden radio silence.

“Come on! I need my bi-daily dose of nondescript and safe considerations, otherwise I easily get testy,” retired store clerk Ingrid Furu (72) demanded in the comments section of the blog’s latest entry earlier today. “Yeah, it’s clearly an unwritten kind of contract that you post something - doesn’t even have to be that good! - every 48 hours during WCQ,” intuitive massage therapist Göran Beck (54) added in a reply. Several other hardcore readers and semi-regulars have expressed similar sentiments, and as of earlier this morning the blog’s latest entry sits at a record of 15 combined comments and replies.

While not a “diehard rule”, it is indeed customary for blogs like The Times to post content of some form bi-daily during the World Cup Qualifications. The Times’ failure to do so is even more remarkable because Mr. Jensson has always seemed like such an orderly and well-prepared blogger. We got a hold of Mr. Jensson in between meetings to ask him what’s going on.

“It’s been a hectic couple of days, and that’s basically it,” Mr. Jensson said and referred, among other things, to being “really busy at work”, being in the process of moving houses, his dog’s birthday and pollen allergies acting up. “It takes time and effort to produce quality content, and with time being a finite resource right now I’ve just not been up to do it. That is allowed, you know,” he continued with a clear hint of irritation in his voice.

We pushed him a bit on the matter, and said that while it is true no one minds him taking a break every now and then, perhaps the timing of doing so at the cusp of a do-or-die playoff game against a fierce looking Vdara is not ideal. Wouldn't this rather be the perfect time to pump out stellar stories and insightful commentary, we asked. “Look, to be frank, I usually pre-write most of my installments in bulk and adapt it to the realities as they unfold. And, yeah, I’m pretty much out and I’m just really busy right now,” Mr. Jensson explained before excusing himself and running along to a meeting about resource allocation or something like that.

In light of Mr. Jensson having ran out of pre-produced content, and not intending to push himself to come up with new material, we got in touch with Oliver Strand, who was the main writer for the blog while it was known as The End(a) of Times, and asked him if he had considered making a move to reclaim (and most likely yet again rebrand) The Times. Mr. Strand had little interest in speaking with us, and only briefly commented that due to the intricate judicial proceedings dictating the terms of Mr. Jensson’s appointment as custodian he is “legally obligated not to give a fuck.” Mr. Strand has not fully left the blogosphere though, because reports from several independent sources claim that he has moved on to a new blog project, mainly dedicated to misgendering people. Mrs. Blymmins - who briefly oversaw publication when the blog was known under the moniker Time for Enda! - was unavailable for comments, seemingly due to celebrating Dandelion progression to the playoffs with white wine and scones.

It therefore seems like Union football junkies need to look elsewhere for their bi-daily fix.

The Meme Gauge

Dandelion opponent Vdara and World Cup Playoffs dominating Union Memeverse
By: Valter Torsktunga.

WCQ Playoff fever is gripping The Union once again, and nowhere is this as evident than in the Union Memeverse where a flurry of different attempts at humor are being produced and circulated. Many of the offerings revolve around Dandelion playoff opponent Vdara, and while a decent portion of the produce floating around is lighthearted and amiable in nature, we’re unfortunately witnessing a disturbingly large share of hurtful and Union-chauvinist memes trending. These are clearly aimed at sowing discord and targets both Vdara and groups of Union citizens with Off-Rock Descent, like this one from the user #edgelord2002:

The trend has understandably provoked outrage, and we won’t be a part of disseminating some of the more explicit varieties. Many in the numerous Gnejs-Kallipolisian communities across The Union have been especially vocal about the harmful nature of these memes, and Dandelion players Aristocles Svendsen, Nicomachus Hansson, Cratylus Hansen and Thrasymachos Andersson made a joint statement yesterday calling for an end to this kind of bigotry. Nicomachus Hansson also posted a picture of a horiatiki salad captioned with the word “UNITY” on his Instapound account.

Another recurring meme theme these days is comments on the difference between nations that ended the WCQ group stage with automatic qualification for the World Cup proper, and the nations that still need to face a playoff game before potentially entering amongst the hallowed 32. The most viral one to date is the following, which is apparently meant to illustrate that while all nations that ended in first and second place are celebrating, the anxiety of facing a playoff game determining if you’ll be going to the real party or not is known only by the group stage runners up.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004

Postby Sarzonia » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:09 am

On paper, the Sarzonian national football team began World Cup 96 qualifying viewing the two matches against The Ochre Islands as a mismatch with The Ochre Islands as the No. 2 seed in Group 18, ranking at No. 44 in the football multiverse and Sarzonia entering as the fifth seed with the 112th ranked team.

They were right, but not in the way they expected.

Before the qualifying campaign began, Sarzonia would've been thrilled to earn at least a draw, one draw against either The Ochre Islands or Ko-oren. Their original goal was to get results against the two lowest ranked teams in Group 18, Rea San Vegas at 259 and the now-former Labalia at 295. However, Sarzonia defeated The Ochre Islands 2-0 away and now find themselves controlling their own destiny for a playoff appearance.

Sarzonia improved to 7-2-2, drawing them level with Saint-Jean-Jacques et Burnham-on-Stove in the group table. The Stovies, as Sarzonia players refer to their 61st ranked opponents, currently hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Stars, but with the first meeting taking place in the desert in Saint-Jean-Jacques et Burnham-on-Stove, Sarzonia felt they had the edge with the match taking place at Dave Wilson Stadium in Woodstock.

"Our supporters make all the difference," goalkeeper John Wells said. "We're unbeaten and undrawn at home. I like our chances against just about anybody when we play there."

Before the Stars could envision the benefits of home cooking, they had to take care of business in an away match against the second seeds in the group. While the Stars have enjoyed their home pitch, they haven't been nearly as dominant away. Entering the match against The Ochre Islands, Sarzonia were 1-2-2 in away fixtures. Their lone away victory came against Labalia, which sport an 0-0-11 record as arguably the worst team in qualifying.

Sarzonia approached the match against The Ochre Islands looking to grab the initiative in all phases of the match. Manager Caleb Rush said he wanted his team to play possession football on offence and force their opponents to make mistakes whilst on defence.

"I like how the team responded to adversity," manager Caleb Rush said. "We went out and executed our tactics brilliantly and controlled possession offensively. Defensively, I liked our aggressiveness out there. We didn't give them much room to operate."

Forward Spencer Wilson didn't factor onto the scoresheet, but he took up space to open up the offence for Kitt Morgan and later Holly Chambers to score the goals. Morgan's tally came after three defenders were caught trying to stop Wilson and he perfectly slotted the ball to Morgan. Their 19th minute tally began to take the home crowd out of the match. With The Ochre Islands already out of contention for a playoff bid, the crowd's energy wasn't there.

In the 52nd minute, Wilson again drew defenders to him and this time fired a cross that Chambers seemed to flick her right boot onto and beat goalkeeper Marcus Natural in the upper left corner. The score led some of the Ochre Islands supporters to boo forcefully. A smattering of fans began to gather their things in an effort to beat post-match traffic.

As the match went final, the team groaned when they saw Ko-oren defeat Carpathia and Ruthenia 2-1, even though it meant Carpathia and Ruthenia were now eliminated from playoff consideration and their World Cup qualifying efforts had ended. The result clinched the Group 18 crown for the Dragonflies, meaning the final group stage match against the Tapirs would be a must-win.

"We're literally level with them in every metric," Wilson said. "Wins, draws, losses, goals for and against.
Since they beat us last time, a draw against them won't suffice."

Rush was asked again about the 2-2 away draw against Rea San Vegas, and the fact that Ko-orenite media speculated the Stars would end up regretting the result.

"They're not wrong," he said. "Right now, our focus is on the Tapirs because we absolutely must get a result against them. We're going to need all our fans at Dave Wilson Stadium, that much is certain."
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:58 am

HUElavia 4–0 New Fernia
(Guerricagoitia 9', 55', Asteinza 22', Beuba 90')
San Ignatius, Itio, HUElavia

Kamijiro 0–0 HUElavia

RETURN OF THE HUELAVIANS!

HUElavia win Group 13 in solid fashion, qualifying directly to World Cup 96!

At last, HUElavia have done what was once seemed impossible: Qualify for three consecutive World Cups. Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos spent the Qualifiers nearly dominating the group, but not enough to outright run away with the qualification, unlike other groups. In general, Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos were never worse than 2nd place throughout the campaign, an all time best for the National Team.

HUElavia clinched their direct qualification on Matchday 13, playing at home against New Fernia, where the team was welcomed by a beautiful tifo by the supporters, where it started blue from one endzone, turning green, then yellow and into white, with a banner of the World Cup trophy in a black outline with a message saying "We're coming in White Hot to the World Cup! We want to be at Huayramarca and Mertagne!" Such a banner motivated the backups who were on the field, who dominated New Fernia in a furious 4-0 victory, their largest margin of victory throughout the Qualifiers. With Baggieland losing 1-0 to The Kytler Peninsulae, that meant that HUElavia qualified directly to the World Cup. The fans were jumping and cheering in joy, while the players put on a yellow shirt comemorating the qualification, with the shirt saying "We can dream, we can compete! World Cup 96 bound!" The second match against Kamijiro was more of a survival test for the team, as Kamijiro was desperate to get goals in, but the tandem of Mok and Arakawa prevented any goals going in, where it was otherwise a dull match for the team, who played it more conservatively to protect their players.

At the end of the Group Qualifiers, HUElavia won Group 13 with 28 Points, having a 9-1-2 record, having scored 31 goals, conceding 13 goals, having a +18 Goal Difference. Baggieland finished 2nd and was put into the Playoffs after an 8-1-3 record of 25 Points. Kamijiro finished 3rd with 20 Points (5-5-2), The Kytler Peninsulae in 4th with 18 Points (4-6-2), Krytenia in 5th with 11 Points (2-5-5), New Fernia in 6th with 7 Points (1-4-7), and Socialist Republic of lower Tranmere in 7th with 5 Points (1-2-9).

Not only has HUElavia qualified for the 3rd consecutive World Cup, making it their 6th overall appearance, but it is also the 3rd consecutive time Los Amarillos?Os Amarelos win their Qualifiers Group, a first in HUElavian Football history. Based on overall ranking, HUElavia finished 11th overall in the Qualifiers based on the points. As a reward for the team performing well, the National Team moved up to 17th in the rankings, an all-time high for the team. While playoffs are yet to be played, depending on how the playoffs work out, HUElavia is possibly going to be either a low Pot 2 team or a high Pot 3 team, where not many teams would be pleased to play against Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos.

There is a lot to look forward to in the coming weeks and months as HUElavia enter yet another World Cup and there is good aspirations that they can make it past the Group Stage once more. Here's to hoping that the Group Stage draw can be a good one for the team.

FORCA HUELAVIA! VAMOS HUELAVIA! GO HUELAVIA!

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004

Postby Sarzonia » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:10 am

The stakes don't get much bigger than win-or-go-home.

That was the scenario for the Sarzonian national football team as they prepared to face off against Saint-Jean-Jacques et Burnham-on-Stove at Dave Wilson Stadium in Woodstock. Both teams entered the final Matchday level on wins, draws and losses at 7-2-2. Both Sarzonia and the Stove People, as some Stars players referred to the Tapirs had scored and conceded the same number of goals.

All that kept the Stove People ahead of Sarzonia in playoff position was their 2-0 win over the Stars in the extreme heat of their desert climate at a community college baseball diamond. A win by the 61st ranked Stovies would consign Sarzonia to the fates of Cup of Harmony organisers. Same thing if the teams played to a draw. Saint-Jean-Jacques et Burnham-on-Stove would own the head-to-head tiebreaker and live to play at least another day.

Sarzonia would have to win to have a fighting chance for a trip to either Mertagne or Huayramarca for World Cup 96 itself. A potential automatic bid to the proper wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. Ko-oren were playing The Ochre Islands in the group stage finale. Even though the 44th ranked team in the football multiverse were long since eliminated from contention, they were still the second seeds in Group 18. An upset win for either team would see either the third seeded Tapirs or the fifth seeded Stars directly qualify for the World Cup.

Standing stone-faced at the lip of the tunnel leading from the home dressing room to the pitch, forward Spencer Wilson made up his mind. He was not going to let his team do anything but win. Anything less than the full three points would eliminate his team in front of their home supporters, who had cheered their team on to five wins from five matches.

When the final blasts of the Banijan referee's whistle sounded, Wilson scored both Sarzonia goals. Goalkeeper John Wells made five saves and did not allow an increasingly desperate Tapirs side to answer even once. Sarzonia prevailed 2-0, punching their ticket to additional football. The team gathered at the centre of the pitch and watched the final moments of Ko-oren's 1-0 victory over The Ochre Islands. The Stars would soon learn their fate: They would end up as the sixth seeds out of 20 runners up, meaning they would take on 15th seeded Juvencus at Cop Limy Stadium in Neorudo, Mertagne.

For Caleb Rush, his team provided a stunning result as a fifth seed advancing to the playoff. However, Sarzonia were far from the biggest story of World Cup qualifying. Pot six side Crpostran won Group 11 despite entering the World Cup qualifying campaign ranked 240th in the multiverse. Their shock result consigned No. 9 Yuezhou to the playoff. Sixth ranked Banija were eliminated entirely. No. 108 Reçueçn won Group 20 despite scoring just 10 goals in 12 matches. No. 258 Legalese litigated their way into the playoff round, leading Group 20's top seeds Mytanija (No. 23) and 43rd ranked Cassadaigua hoping for Cup of Harmony bids.

He didn't care. He decided to give his players a chance to celebrate their unlikely achievement of getting one more match to claim a spot in the proper. He and the team would begin to scout Juvencus in earnest beginning the next day. But for one night, he and his team chose to exult with the supporters who roared their approval.

"No matter what happens against Juvencus, I'm proud of this team," Rush said. "I'm proud of these fans for being there for us every step of the way. We didn't go undefeated and undrawn at this stadium by accident. This building is truly a home field advantage for us."

The immediate future of this team may not be completely written just yet, but thus far, the story this team have written was a compelling masterpiece.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:38 pm

Part Eight: The Mission

Len finally gets to meet some aliens, but will it be a propitious encounter?

Len sat back in his comfy Captain's chair as he gave the order for BS Crepitus to blast off, even though Okay was sat behind him, Len could feel his cold-intense gaze burning into him.

"You're going to balls up everything Captain, and when you do, I'll be right there to make sure all the blame lies with you!" taunted Okay.

Len didn't take the bait, he had to stay vigilant on his maiden voyage. The Crepitus had been tasked to deliver 24 tonnes of lasagna to the Makhluk – an alien species which Space Corps wished to court as an ally – rather than have them align with the Romvesens.

The Crepitus lurched to a stop as it exited hyperdrive, the crew gasped as they saw the Makhlukian planet rapidly approaching, snowballing in size before them.

"I've got a three o'clock with the king of the Makhluks. Commander Mulumbu, you'd better come with me," Len decreed.

"Oh, I wouldn't miss this for the world," countered Okay.

BS Crepitus set down at the coordinates supplied by Space Corps. Len and Okay alighted from their vessel as they were warmly greeted by a Makhlukian welcoming party. Geez, they sure were ugly folk! Their skin was a sickly shade of green – almost as if they were decaying right before them – and a copious amount of ungovernable slimy tentacles that writhed around their misshapen heads.

Len and Okay were escorted to a modestly-sized settlement, their dwellings were not much to look at either: mud huts at best they could be described as. Why would Space Corps need these guys as allies? They didn't seem to offer much at all.

Eventually they arrived at the largest hovel, inside was another of these sickly creatures, but this one had some kind of garland perched on its head. The king… probably!

Len had fastidiously prepared his royal greeting. "Your Majesty, The Imperial Glorious Empire of Baggieland, represented by Space Corps… "

"SILENCE! First tell me the results from World Cup 96," interrupted the king.

"Sure, Baggieland suffered a surprise defeat to The Kytler Peninsulae, but this was followed by an impressive 4 – 1 victory over Krytenia. Unfortunately we couldn't knock HUElavia off top spot, but we have qualified for the play-offs. We're going to face off against Eshialand for the right to play in the World Cup finals once more," informed Len.

"That is good news. Eshialand will be a formidable opponent, you will need a good defensive midfielder in order to nullify their strength," schooled the king.

That comment hurt, surely either Len or Okay were the best defensive midfielders in Baggieland!

Then, the Makhlukian king arose from his unembellished throne and beckoned the two Space Corps officers to an adjoining dining room.

As they entered the room, the door suddenly slammed shut behind Len and Okay; there before them was a Romvesen!

"I would be honoured if you would join me," stated the Romvesen.

"It's a trap!" screamed Len.

To be continued…

Legalese
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Legalese » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:25 pm

As always at The Grind and Bear It, a mug with his name on it was waiting.

“Good game last night?” inquired the barista as Chogan Williams walked by to retrieve his aluminum-walled tumbler from the counter. He took a sip of the brown liquid within, taking a second to let the note of stonefruit cover his tongue, as he savored it briefly.

“Even if it wasn’t,” he said back with a smile, while adding just a splash of cream to his mug (for temperature control, he claimed -- you know how those metal mugs hold in the heat), “you know it’d be all better after a sip of this wonderful elixir. Great work, as always!”

The barista smiled, hiding their confusion. Was a draw good?

As if he read the servers’ thoughts, Chogan replied. “I’m happy with the way we played, the way our team kept in the mix. Not every day you take a point off the top seeds, but we did, and that’s more than we could have hoped for.”

What he didn’t say is that he really wasn’t sure himself. After all, any points were good -- at worst, they’d finish with more points won than lost, not bad for a team expected to finish next-to-last in the group. But if that’s true, then why did Aisling urge the team to press even harder in the closing minutes, as if we needed a goal?

An hour later, sitting in the office adjacent to National Stadium in Central Junction, he found enlightenment.

“We kept pressing for two reasons. One, because that’s what we know and do best. It’s why we normally bring in Derrick and Roddy for Thomas and AC at that point -- it gives us fresh legs in the midfield and allows us to keep the pressure on. The other reasons is because we knew that while we might fall out if we gave up a goal, it was worth it because a win would mean we go to the finals and not the playoffs, especially as word of Cassadaigua on the verge of victory trickled in.”

“That makes sense, keeping our fate in our own hands, since fate had set up well enough for that. Did we know we were going to have to face Tumbra?”
Mikaela peered at her laptop. “Not exactly, but we figured we were going to be towards the bottom, so getting Tumbra’s not a shock, just a rough draw. World number five, runners-up last time, and a big deal -- which they know. They’re going to try to absorb our attack, find the weakness and opening in our defense, and counter. And they’re good at it.”

Chogan smiled. “That’s good, it’s just another challenge. Okay, so what’s the way to get around it?”

“You can’t,” Aisling’s voice was sandpaper in comparison. “We can prepare Faron and Gagan to be watching for the runs, and will need to count on Toose to be on point -- not only on the many shots he’ll take, but also in terms of reading the play early enough to get help before he needs to. Even so, it won’t change much.”

“I know to expect pessimism out of you, but you sound like you were given decaf this morning. You all right, Ash?”

“You missed the point, skip. This isn’t a puzzle that’s solved by tactics and strategy. Mikaela can’t just invent some new formation that’s going to turn this game on its head and send Tumbra tumbling. It’s not even about the physical and tactical training either. Of course we’ll do all that to get the team ready, but none of that’s going to win this match.”

Chogan’s tone lightened. “So, you’re saying it’s about mentality.”

“For once, yes. The only way we’ve got a shot is if everyone’s in the right place in their heads. It might not be enough, but it’s a start.”

“Where do you think the Tumbrans will be?”

Mikaela chimed in. “Best guess? They’ll be up for it -- after all, they have a lot on this game. A chance to get back to the World Cup Final and make that next step to hoist the trophy; the knowledge that they’re done with football until the next regional if they fall to us.”

“Isn’t there the Cup of Harmony for them?”

“Their papers say they won’t go. Unlike us, they actually get coverage.”

“It’s not like we’ve been invited recently either.”

“Well, you have to be interesting to get there, it seems. And let’s face it, we may be all zany with our formations, but that’s just not interesting enough.”

“Okay, so what does that mean about the Tumbrans going into this playoff?”

“Simple, either they’re on their game, which is going to spell trouble, no matter how well we’re prepared. Or they’re just a little off -- perhaps the defense cracks just a little, gives Hasana just one loose ball to strike, misses a run elsewhere. If that happens, it’s one game, and all we have to do is get and stay ahead by the final whistle.”
Host/Co-Host of:
World Cup XXII and LXVIII
Cup of Harmony XI and XIII
Baptism of Fire IX, XIV, XV, XVI, XLII, LII
The Inaugural CAFA Cup
AOCAF Cup V and XXXIV

Winner of Cup of Harmony 55 and Jeremy Jaffacake Jamboree II
Anaia: Like all the best ideas, this is moving from "lampoon" to
"take seriously" rather quickly

(H/T to Mertagne)

Zenic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zenic » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:56 pm

Manacus, Zenic to Lima, Huayramarca.

It was a long flight over to the northwestern section of the Anaian core but one that had started to become very familiar recently. Both last cycle’s qualifiers and the 2nd ICC involved the Survivors traveling to the region: several trips to Audioslavia for the World Cup 95 cycle and a few to Mertagne, just one nation over from Huayramarca, for the ICC. They were no strangers to the region. Now, they were here once more, this time for a metaphorical life or death matchup with an unfamiliar foe: the Kittens from Valentine Z.

“The Kittens?” Zys had to look over that line in the scouting report one more time.

Regardless of their squad nickname, Clarissa ASB Anna ran a well organized team that delivered spectacular results. Despite the pedigree of the squads in Group 2, Valentine Z was able to knock out Eura, Ceni, and the Boring Paradise on route to finish in second place, trailing only the indomitable elves of Valanora. And for such an aggressively attacking squad (definitely more so than us), they did a great job of limiting their mistakes and keeping their goals allowed to an impressively low number. This was no victory lap for Zys and the squad: he expected it to be a slugfest.

Another challenge would be adjusting to playing against a 4-3-3, something the Survivors had not faced during these qualifiers. They last faced such a formation during their two clashes against the champions of Mandalanusa, Pemectun. Before that was their one matchup with Oberour Ar Moro in the Copa run in Graintfjall. Reminding the players how to deal with the formation and teaching them the new adjustments the staff had come up with were the main course of action in the training sessions leading up to the playoff match.

Not to mention, some unsettling news from back in Rushmore could prove to be problematic to Zenic’s chances to make the World Cup in Anaia. Graintfjall, host of the 45th Copa Rushmori and nation where Zenic achieved history, appears to have gone radio silent on the international front recently and reports are that many of their fellow Rushmori nations are worried about what is going on within the Queendom’s borders. Zys and everyone in the staff and squad had a layer of unease and deja vu covering them as the situation felt eerily similar to how the recent conflict in the Empire went. Zenic was steadily making their way to the top of every metric nation-wise, then news broke out about some issues and then one day, just gone from the view of every other nation. It is believed to be related to recent power generation issues but nothing official just yet; in fact, the official position of the Empire (which he had heard through the grapevine) was to monitor the situation closely and provide aggressive assistance once they had credible information. The Emperor understood the plight of the Græntfjallers but was worried about depleting resources for an overreaction while his own nation was under a major reconstruction. A few people from the team had made friends while on duty there for the Copa so keeping them distracted enough from the unfolding situation until after the World Cup cycle was key.

With all these factors being in play, Geraldo Zys just hoped they were doing enough.
Member of Rushmore
List of Factbooks
Zenic Ministry of Sports Archive
Association Football
KPB Ranking: 18.43 (37th, Post-WC96)
Rushmore Ranking: 19379 (8th, Post-CR45)
IFCF Coefficient: 0.00 (UR)
Ice Hockey
WCoH Ranking: 13.80 (11th, Post-WCoH 50)
Champions:
45th Copa Rushmori (Futbol)
55th Baptism of Fire (Futbol)
7th U15 World Cup (Futbol)
6th Runner Cup (Futbol)
Runners-up
WCoH 28 (Ice Hockey)
Third Place:
Copa Rushmori XIX (Futbol)
4th Runner Cup(Futbol)

Aphrilia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 20, 2023
Democratic Socialists

Postby Aphrilia » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:55 pm

Playoffs

The team were in surprise, all of them were. Afterall, getting here was a miracle in itself.

By the time Matchday Twelve had rolled by, Aphrilia had sixteen points with a 5 - 1 - 4 record. The Anchors were five points behind 2nd place Cabo Azure, and it didn't help that their second loss against Tero al Disco set them back further (In due to the fact that a loss against Audioslavia was expected). And while Saterun, who were a much better team, had been eliminated for the minimum of playoff contention early on would be a comforting solace for Aphrilia's qualifying, there was the smallest chance that things could still go their way. And there were two primary reasons. One was that Aphrilia would be playing Cabo Azure, and the other was that Tero al Disco would also play against them on the final matchday.

In theory, if Aphrilia won against Cabo Azure and Saltidia (With a win against the latter a much higher possibility) then the team would be able to snag second. However, this can only happen if Cabo Azure doesn't gain any more points. Because six points (Which is possible in exactly two matches remaining) is the exact amount of points required to surpass Cabo Azure in the standings of Group 19, and that is ignoring Tero al Disco. If they also gain six points with two wins, then Aphrilia winning their remaining two matches would be for naught as Tero al Disco had a one point advantage. For most, Aphrilia reaching the playoffs would only be a fever dream. Many said that it was pretty much near impossible.

Keyword being near.

Because after Matchday Thirteen, Aphrilia reaching the playoffs was definitely on the cards. The Anchors had managed to pull off another upset against Cabo Azure's As Maçaricas in a 1 - 0 victory only sealed by Ines Forrestal taking her shot in added stoppage time. Meanwhile, Tero al Disco lost against Audioslavia which made reaching the playoffs impossible for the former and truly secured World Cup Qualification for the latter. However, Matchday Fourteen would be the most decisive as things still need to go in Aphrilia's favor. It would be most preferable for Tero al Disco to win against Cabo Azure and for Aphrilia to win against Saltidia. One of these matches is easier done than said.

Saltidia was a team that would unlikely produce a challenge for Aphrilia as the former's match record in the group shows. A win would secure Aphrilia a second place finish only if Tero al Disco won against Cabo Azure. A draw would have Aphrilia on the losing end due to Goal Difference being the first tie breaker, and so far throughout qualifying, Aphrilia isn't known to be a high-scoring team even with the newly reformed tactics. The Anchors still chose to play defensively, afterall. And thus, two matches would decide on who would be going to the playoffs of the 96th edition of the World Cup. It all came down to who had the grit, desire, and luck to be able to pull through.

And luckily, Aphrilia had all three.

Aphrilia scored an easy 3 - 0 win against Saltidia, which made one half of the ordeal complete. The players and staff didn't know the scoreline of the Cabo Azure - Tero al Disco match until they were all in the locker room. And as fate would have it, Tero al Disco won 1 - 0 against Cabo Azure, sending Aphrilia to the playoffs. Safe to say, the team was ecstatic about it. In the end, Aphrilia were the 4th worst team to finish in a playoff spot, but what mattered was that they got here. However, a larger opportunity looms to present itself. West Barack and East Obama, if defeated, would have Aphrilia enter the World Cup. It's a more unlikely prospect than making the playoffs in the first place.

But whether they succeed or fail, at least they were able to get here.
THE KINGDOM OF APHRILIA
A northwestern kingdom in a world more different than usual, a religion which gives one the immortality to time, and a well known affection for the world of sports accompanied by a Sovereign who does not plan to give up the throne any time soon.
World Cup 96 Playoffs

NS Stats are not canon.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:11 am

Tumbra 2-3 Saint Eleanor

TMB (4-3-3): 1 - V Jones; 18 - H Kennedy, 4 - S Kerr, 20 - Y Lawson (14 - C Whitfield, 73'), 3 - T Mercurio; 15 - L McCormick (6 - T Harrison, 45'), 8 - I Robertson, 16 - V Leighton (10 - S Monaghan, 79'); 7 - V Wells, 21 - A Pearson (9 - L Crossley, 61'); 11 - C Henshaw (26 - J Hardaker, 73')

TMB scorers: Ian Robertson (58'), Valerie Wells (74')

Player of the Match: Kichirō Matsuda [EXT]
Eraman 0-4 Tumbra

TMB (4-2-3-1): 1 - V Jones; 2 - A Renton (18 - H Kennedy, 82'), 4 - S Kerr (14 - C Whitfield, 70'), 5 - W Pritchett, 19 - J Green (3 - T Mercurio, 70'); 6 - T Harrison, 25 - S Harrington (8 - I Robertson, 78'), 10 - S Monaghan; 17 - E Robertson, 9 - L Crossley (21 - A Pearson, 78'); 22 - E Maddison

TMB scorers: Edward Maddison (12', 18'), Stella Harrington (29'), Trudy Harrison (31')

Player of the Match: Edward Maddison [TMB]

Foreign Affairs Minister Daniel Fowler to make trip to Yuezhou as nations respond to call on international taskforce

STRATON: Newly-appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs Daniel Fowler is set to embark on a trip to Yuezhou to meet up with Yue Foreign Minister Pan Fengfei to discuss responses to the current situation in the Rushmori nation of Græntfjall, with a likely focus on humanitarian aid and ensuring that supplies of enriched uranium can get the country's reportedly-beleaguered power supply up and running again. The news comes as neighbouring nation the Kytler Peninsulae reports that it, too, is facing a slight power crunch with the decreased supply of uranium to their own power grid supply. Other nations such as Kirungabi have issued similar no-travel warnings similar to that of Tumbra's warning issued a few weeks ago, and Fowler has pledged to work with "all nations interested" in helping Græntfjall out of its current situation.

"Our first priority is to help our long-term allies restore stability to their energy supply, while keeping their sovereignty intact," said Fowler. The issue of the Græntfjall situation seems to have been delegated entirely to Mr. Fowler, with Prime Minister Bertram Andrews seemingly choosing to devote his energy to balancing the budget amidst a projected increase in committed government spending. Economically, however, Mr. Andrews seems to be open to running a budget deficit for a few years. Speaking after his official inauguration on Tuesday, the Prime Minister reiterated that Tumbra "has to keep its own house in order" before we "dare to reach beyond our own borders." The Prime Minister is expected to make a first diplomatic trip to the region of Foringana — and, in particular, the nation of Pacitalia — in a few weeks, while his Deputy Prime Minister, Sandra Campbell, is expected to visit the Northlands as part of her new brief of Northern Affairs Minister.

Lawrence Newell elected unopposed as United Party leader as conservatives dominate Opposition frontbench

STRATON: In a party-room meeting held after Parliament reconvened on Tuesday, former Prime Minister Lawrence Newell was elected by the United Party as its second leader after there were no other nominations received by the deadline of 6pm. Newell, widely seen to be a titan in the United Party owing to his status as the former Prime Minister and the architect of the right-wing into a single party, was nominated by close allies Stephanie Wilson, former Deputy Prime Minister, and Michael Greenwood, the former Minister for Commerce and Industry. Speaking after his election, Mr. Newell thanked Mr. Young for his efforts as party leader and pledged to keep the government of Bertram Andrews "in check" while advocating for "the United way of government."

Mr. Newell's main challenge as Leader of the Opposition will likely be perceptions of his politics — under his stewardship as leader of the former Liberal Party, he was widely derided as a "nasty conservative" — and attempted to pass through socially conservative laws which would give further freedoms to states to restrict procedures such as abortion and gender-affirming care, but was defeated by a few rebels from the Liberal benches during his time in office. Political commentator James Hayworth, speaking to NBN News on Tuesday evening, said that "Newell might not be the ideal United leader for an election, but he definitely is the only man with enough gravitas to take on the role right now."

Shortly after being elected as leader, Newell revealed his Shadow Cabinet — naming Gerald Kingsley, former Minister for Defence, as Deputy Leader; and filling the shadow cabinet mostly with people who served in his old Cabinet. Former United Party leader and prime ministerial candidate in the 2037 federal election, Max Young, was not given a spot in the Shadow Cabinet, allegedly at his own request.

Andrews cabinet reflects "anxieties over geographical and factional representation" within Party as seventeen states represented in Cabinet

STRATON: Reactions to Prime Minister Bertram Andrews' new Cabinet have been largely mixed, with political commentators saying that the new Prime Minister has focused his Cabinet appointments on assuaging "factional demands" and "geographical representation" in the new Cabinet, with the twenty-five Cabinet members representing seventeen states. No state has more than two members in Cabinet, and twelve members of the Cabinet come from the west of the country.

"This can be seen as the new Prime Minister trying to pay tribute to the West, which gave him his overall majority in government," said Assoc. Prof of political science, Prakash K. Jeyaretnam of the University of Couno. "But the Cabinet is also very evenly split between the left and right of the Labour Parties, which begs the question of whether the Prime Minister might be more focused on papering over cracks within the Labour Party." Mr. Andrews, who became Labour leader in 2030, has gained a reputation for being able to smooth over disputes between the often-bickering two wings of the Labour Party, and is widely seen as a unifier of the party's two factions.

The announcement of the new Cabinet surprised many as a small-scale shuffle was carried out; experienced hand and former Deputy Prime Minister Eric Cooper-Jones, who served as Shadow Minister for Home Affairs, was instead made the Leader of the House, while the Chief Whip position was given to Tristan Rodgers, who previously served as Minister for Defence. Both Cooper-Jones and Rodgers are MPs in the eastern half of the country — Cooper-Jones is MP for Serrapince Ellesmere in Bechor, while Rodgers is MP for Clark Central, in Finnley — while their replacements, Alexander Ross and Christopher Lindsay, both represent western seats. Ross, the new Minister for Home Affairs, is the MP for Reigate in Fremont, while Lindsay represents Meadowbrook in Marlsbruhe.

"Labour have repeatedly emphasised the importance of the West to their electoral hopes in the future," says Professor Jeyaretnam, "so these moves are perhaps not as surprising. But whether the West will respond to these appointments as hoped is unclear; these moves could be seen as purely representative rather than indicative of any actual redistribution of the country's wealth towards the west." Regional inequality in Tumbra has grown worse over the years, with the west seeing a decline in its population as its own population moves eastward; discontent with the Labour Party's policies on the West was what delivered the former Liberal Party its three election victories in April and October of 2029, as well as 2033.

Punters lick lips at potential giant-killing as 4th-ranked Tumbra face 105th-ranked Legalese in one-off playoff

HUAYRAMARCA METROPOLITAN DISTRICT: Fourth-ranked Tumbra will have to avoid complacency as they did against Auprussia as the Black Eagles go into a single-legged World Cup playoff against Anaian stalwarts Legalese in Huayramarca, with a match at 4,000 metres above sea level awaiting the Black Eagles after a somewhat-disappointing finish in the Black Eagles' World Cup qualification group. The Legalites came out a surprise second best in a five-team melee for Group 20's automatic qualification spot which saw both first seeds Mytanija and second seeds Cassadaigua miss out on qualifying for the World Cup. Results that led to them clinching the vaunted playoff spot included a draw with Mytanija, an away draw and a home win against Cassadaigua, and two draws against fellow Anaian nation Kimi-Suomi.

In response to questions about their opponent, Tumbran national team manager Michael Campbell said that the team had "always expected to play the second-placed team against Group 20" after the home loss to Saint Eleanor; but the uniquely wide-open nature of the group meant that the team were "somewhat hampered in its preparations" for their Anaian opponent. "Group 20 has been one of the most open groups in modern World Cup qualifying, and while we'll admit that Legalese taking the second spot was somewhat of a surprise, we'll be ready for them whatever happens." Legalese will likely play with a highly unorthodox 1-6-3 formation focusing on all-out attacking power, something which Campbell says will "probably cause a bit of trouble for us, but at the end of the day it's the same game." To that end, an unchanged squad from the final two qualifying matches has been called up, which signifies that this might be the squad that Campbell will bring to Huayramarca or Mertagne should they manage to beat Legalese in the single-legged qualifying match.

The capital city of Huayramarca, the Metropolitan District, where the two sides will play, will be an eye-watering 4,000 metres above sea level, which is set to affect the stamina of the players on both sides. For this reason, Campbell said, preparations began in earnest early. "We've had our physios specially prepare our players for this altitude," said Campbell. "If we return to Huayramarca for the World Cup Finals, then I think we might be better prepared." The travelling Black Eagles squad arrived in Chuquiago a week and a half before, and have been training in local facilities in preparation for the game at altitude.

"We are taking nothing for granted," said Campbell in a pre-match press conference. "We have already been bitten twice during this campaign — by Saint Eleanor and Auprussia — and I do not think that we can be bitten again." The gap between Legalese and Tumbra — at 101 spots in post-World Cup qualifying world rankings — is the starkest in the ten playoff matches, with the closest-ranked match being between tenth-ranked Zwangzug and eighteenth-ranked Pasarga. It has been a cycle of churn in the rankings; with only four of the world's top ten having secured direct qualification to the World Cup. Third-ranked Farfadillis will play fifty-seventh ranked StrayaRoos in the sweltering city of Guayaquil, while sixth-ranked Kelssek will play nineteenth-ranked Drawkland in Webster, Mertagne; while fifth-ranked Banija and seventh-ranked Graentfjall will not be going to the World Cup at all.

WCQ96 QUALIFIERS SQUAD FOR TUMBRA v LEGALESE -- Full Roster
Goalkeepers: 1 - Victoria Jones (Lakewood City), 12 - Richard Russell (Lakewood United), 27 - Mike Hahn (Ridgewell Rovers)
Defenders: 2 - Annie Renton (Serrapince), 18 - Hazel Kennedy (Couno Rangers); 4 - Stephen Kerr (Chromatik, CMT), 5 - Wendy Pritchett (Lakewood United), 14 - Christine Whitfield (Myana, CMT), 20 - Yvonne Lawson (St. John's Arsenal, QUE) 24 - Belinda Proudfoot (Lakewood United); 3 - Tracey Mercurio (Kingston, QUE), 19 - James Green (Bavingtor, FVA)
Midfielders: 6 - Trudy Harrison (Chromatik, CMT), 15 - Lucas McCormick (Lakewood City), 32 - Mark Finnemore (Couno Rangers); 8 - Ian Robertson (Ridgewell Rovers), 16 - Victor Leighton (Lakewood City), 25 - Stella Harrington (Hesham); 10 - Susan Monaghan (Lakewood City)
Wingers: 7 - Valerie Wells (Lakewood United), 17 - Erin Robertson (Couno Rangers); 9 - Lynne Crossley (Chromatik, CMT), 21 - Audrey Pearson, (Rülândéá Kôstä, RÜL)
Strikers: 11 - Charlotte Henshaw (Lakewood City), 22 - Edward Maddison (Avondale City, SYL) 26 - Julie Hardaker (Myana, CMT)

Schedule: @ DAR, Bye//v AUP, @ ARJ//v EOT, @ EXT//v ERA, v DAR//Bye, @ AUP//v ARJ, @EOT//v EXT, @ ERA//v LGL
v ARJ: Fontwell; v EOT: Nantwich; v DAR, v AUP: Couno; v ERA: Lakewood; v EXT: Straton
Last edited by Tumbra on Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

StrayaRoos
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2021

Postby StrayaRoos » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:08 am

With wins over Kandorith and Ekkistan, the Emus secured a second-consecutive appearance in the World Cup playoffs. And yet again, they had a extremely difficult opponent to face. Farfadillis. A team that came third in the WC Proper barely 4 years ago. This is almost definitely an impossible task for the nation's finest. The hope is that they'll give the Farves a run for their money, perhaps even come devastatingly close, only to lose to a penalty given because of a reckless tackle in the 122nd minute again, like what happened against Brenecia last time round. Whatever happens in Guayaquil, The entire nation will be watching.
СтраяРус ❤️ Україна
Fly Air STR, the Spirit of StrayaRoos
He/Him
WOMBLE TILL I DIE

Flavovespia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 22, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Flavovespia » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:59 am

Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom 0 - 1 Flavovespia

It was a celebratory mood for Flavovespia as they travelled to Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom. Whilst the hosts were only paying for pride, Flavovespia were Group 7 champions and their rotated squad secured an unbeaten Qualifiers run.

Flavovespia took this game to rest several key players. Jonathan Bagshaw Michael Cole, Nathan Crewe, Stuart Cookson, they all rested today. This gave opportunities for the likes of Thomas Foley, Paul Amos, Anthony Lane and Philip Swales. The latter two also partnered club teammate Peter Langdon in attack.

It was a steady start to the game, despite the rotation, Flavovespia were looking convincing on the pitch. There were plenty of players trying to prove themselves, but team chemistry still seemed high. Kieron Player and Anthony Lane both had good chances in the 23rd and 27th minute, well blocked by the goalkeeper.

The first and only goal game in the 36th minute. Anthony Lane made a darting run down the left wing. He whipped in a cross towards the far post, and club teammate Philip Swales headed in, scoring his first international goal. A great moment for him and his Loxthorpe Rovers teammates on the pitch. Flavovespia took a 0-1 lead into the break, and were looking the better aide.

Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom wanted at least a goal to try and salvage a challenging qualifying campaign. However, they hadn’t accounted for Thomas Foley being strong in goal. He certainly seemed to be at a similar level to Nathan Crewe a promising sign if he’s needed for the World Cup. Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom were also hampered by a Flavovespia side content to take less risks and favour keeping players behind the ball.

Flavovespia weren’t particularly creative or expressive in the latter stages, but they didn’t need to be. Whilst Peter Langdon Anthony Lane or substitute Richard Birmingham would’ve liked a goal, in the end the clear cut chances just didn’t come. It finished 0-1, not a game for the ages, but a final 3 points to finish off an unbeaten Qualifiers for Flavovespia. Augusto Rinaldi finished his last World Cup Qualifier with a win, now he prepares for his 6th and last World Cup with Flavovespia.
Formerly the Republic of Greater Waldster, internationally known as Greater Watford. IC It's a long story (OOC I didn't like using real place names)

Juvencus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2016

Postby Juvencus » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:36 am

Il Scudelliano is under new management, one that presents the news about la squadra as it should instead of being a third party newspaper that supports the team only when it wants, and will remain that way until further notice

"SHOW SOME RESPECT TO OUR NATION" GAETAN MAINTAINS ATTITUDE FOLLOWING JUVENCUS' DRAMATIC QUALIFICATION TO WORLD CUP PLAYOFFS

Gael Gaetan said it and the team delivered, in a series of serendipitous circumstances combined with top-tier gameplay from la squadra it finally clinched a spot to the world cup playoffs for the second time in a row. Il Scudelliano was filled to the brim with fans to observe la squadra outperform Sea Dome yet again and clinch only its 2nd home victory in the qualifiers. Audiol scored the first of the team before being replaced for Campana to finish the job, all in all, the possession of the ball was mostly in la squadra's feet and they did not need to pressure a lot of times to get what they wanted. Gaetan's gli attacanti have managed to score in every single game so far and that is an attitude they would also attempt to maintain against The 14 Stars.

Now in the last matchday la squadra was 1 point behind Srednjaci who had previously demolished The 14 Stars. However, they seemed to have entered the match with higher focus and pressed on la squadra's goal for the majority of the first half which included them being 1-0 thanks to a Kai Schultz header in injury time. However, Gaetan's pep talk in the locker room saw a revitalised Juven side that entered the game bloodthirsty for even a possibility of regaining that playoff spot. Ganymede Garcia carried the team on his shoulders with an equaliser from long range while he would assist the team's second goal through a corner kick to none other than Carlo Bevilacqua to change the tide of the game in the 87th minute. With the team now dropping back and hopes high, the result was kept until the end.

In the meanwhile, the game between Srednjaci and Wight was being played at the same time and people were eagerly awaiting for its result. Upon knowledge and spreading of the news that Wight had defeated Srednjaci, Juven fans erupted in celebrations all over the nation. La squadra itself was celebrating in the middle of the field, while in the following interview Gael Gaetan could get the last word.

"Good evening. I would like to begin that I am proud of the squad's results. While qualification was indeed more difficult than it should have been, we showed grit and determination and in the end we were the ones to rise to the occasion. I am aware that we have an important playoff match ahead of us however I would like to give my word to the doubters and those so-called 'journalists' that like to taint mine and my team's work. You people need to show some respect to our nation. These players are constantly travelling back and forth to represent the country in situations and circumstances that are difficult for most of you to even fathom. The teams in our group were better than they had any right to be and we still prevailed even with these difficulties. Show some trust and we will reward you with performances beyond your comprehension. The World Cup is within our grasp and I have absolute faith in my players to play well against whoever we will face."

While Gaetan's comments sparked outrage amongst some people, most of the nation seems to be backing him up just like they were backing up Dudu Madeiros in equally difficult struggles. Patience seems to have finally been passed down to the majority of the public.

The team's playoff opponent is Sarzonia and they will be playing against them in Cop Limy Stadium in Mertagne. Sarzonia outdid all expectations for its ranking, finishing second in a competitive group involving the likes of Ko-Oren for which they gave them a run of their money till the very end as well as finishing above teams like Saint-Jean-Jacques et Burnham-on-Stove, Carpathia and Ruthenia and the Ochre Islands. In a match where everything is at stake, Gaetan will be taking less risks and will be using more weathered players to finish the job and give la squadra its 4th qualification to the World Cup proper.

Starting XI against Sarzonia:
GK:Bardhyl Imeri
CB:Carlo Callejon
CB:Pau Puig
CB:Carlos Coste
CDM:Sara Ponce
CDM:Raul Viejo
RM:Simon Oliveira
LM:Chimo Quaranta
RF:Gilberto Soares
LF:Joao Pereyra
CF:Ceferino Audiol
The Holy Empire of Juvencus
Diverse yet united
Demonym: Juven Trigram: JUE Capital: Pomena
Sonnel is my home<3

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:32 am

BBC OFFICIAL REPORT: Meeting in Mertagne to Determine World Cup Spot

By Football Correspondent Gary Obamaniker

Dannin, Mertagne - We are here today in sunny Mertagne to witness one of the most important matches in Obaman history and the most crucial in this cycle so far—a playoff match against Aphrilia. This will be West Barack and East Obama's second playoff match in as many cycles, but this time as the stacked overdog. If victory is secured, West Barack and East Obama could qualify for a second straight World Cup finals and solidify themselves as one of the premier football powers around. If not, the "washed,"  "fluke" and "one-cycle wonders" allegations will dominate the conversation. It's truly make-or-break now.

West Barack and East Obama tripped up on the last game of the round robin with a 1-0 home defeat to Chromatika, preventing an unbeaten run to the World Cup finals. However, they had a whole bye to relax as Abanhfleft's 2-2 draw with Aleirave secured West Barack and East Obama's place in the playoffs, preventing the Fleftic's massive upset over Chromatika the following week from ruining West Barack and East Obama's hopes and dreams. 

Meanwhile, our upcoming opponents experienced a fairytale-like resurgence in the last two games of the group stage to sneak right by Tero al Disco and top-seeded Cabo Azure into a first-ever playoff matchup. A 1-0 victory over formerly 20th-ranked Cabo Azure is certainly no joke and proved Aphrilia's ability to lock in and slay giants when it matters. West Barack and East Obama have declined slightly in the second half of the qualification rounds, conceding four more goals in the last six games compared to the first six. While there is no one to specifically blame for this, there is one name on everybody's mind that wouldn't have let that slide: Trent Vobama. Former captain, former centre-back, former criminal—but forever a fighter. Trent Vobama's commanding presence and strong leadership are just what West Barack and East Obama need in these tense times. Only he wouldn't crack under this pressure but instead flourish and form diamonds, just as he is doing now in the lower levels of the ObaMMA League. 

It's now or never for West Barack and East Obama. If they can just recapture the magic of that night in Sylestone where they upset Kandorith to reach their first ever World Cup finals, bottle it, keep it away from Aphrilia at all costs, and all will be well. With this cycle seeing even more titans fall out of the World Cup finals, it is the perfect time for the Obama Carers to step up and assert themselves as the new overlords of football with their heinous playing style. Only time will tell if West Barack and East Obama can rise to the occasion or fall, just like those before us did.

BBC OFFICIAL FRIENDLY ADVICE: Self-Confidence is Your Best Friend

By Mental Health Correspondent Luna bin Bama

Worried? Anxious? Miserable? These were the three most common adjectives Obamen used to describe themselves in last year's nationwide Glorious Survey and Review. Of course, there is one culprit for the problem: stress over football scores!

With the upcoming winner-takes-all playoff tie between West Barack and East Obama and Aphrilia approaching rapidly, heartbeat rates across the nation are expected to shoot up by up to 87% over the next few days. Studies have shown increased deaths from strokes, heart attacks, and even gamer-rage-induced murders in the hours surrounding West Barack and East Obama football matches. 

If you want to live to see West Barack and East Obama lift the World Cup, don't fret! Here are five easy ways to instil self-confidence within yourself:

1. Remember: West Barack and East Obama aren't choke artists! We have been undefeated against lower-ranked teams since before the 95th World Cup cycle. 
  2. Remember: Ignore the truth when it fits you! Simply the fact that we choked first place in that World Cup's finals to get eliminated makes the first affirmation work. Now you're balling!
  3. Remember: The President won't let West Barack and East Obama lose this, so they won't! When you can't motivate yourself, always get external pressure and fear to whip you into shape!
  4. Remember: Even if we lose, we're still better than all the other teams at the World Cup. They have no idea what they're missing out on in the midst of their corrupt cliques.
  5. Remember: If you're too preoccupied with watching the ball, remember that you have a job. Or go get one already. There's more to life than 22 sweaty men chasing balls.

Have a great weekend, Obamen, and we'll see you all at the World Cup finals!
Sonnel is the place.

7x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:22 am

(Can't resist the timing. Source--there are a couple different versions/abridgments, I think this corresponds to the 6:58 one.)

Turn around--
Every now and then, I get a little bit lonely
The ball is round, the field swells with feers
Turn around--
Every now and then I get a little bit tired
Of listening to the sound of the cheers
Turn around--
Every now and then I get a little bit nervous
That nothing compares to 92
Turn around--
Every now and then I get a little bit terrified
But then I know what I have to do.

Turn around, dig out--
Every now and then we fall behind
Turn around, dig out--
Losses echo back through my mind

Turn around--
Every now and then I get a little complacent
When our team's scoring the most
Turn around--
Every now and then I get a little bit helpless
And the ball's bouncing in off the post
Turn around--
Every now and then I get a little bit shamefaced
But I know I've got to stay, stand my ground
Turn around--
Every now and then I get a little bit terrified
But then I hear the fans' endless sound

Turn around, dig out--
Every now and then I fall apart
Turn around, dig out--
Conceding means you have to restart

But they need me now tonight
And the skies are getting darker
And if I only hold on tight
We'll be off to Huayramarca
And we'll only be making it right
Propelled by their song
Together we can make it till the whistle is blown
My team is with me even when I'm standing alone
The statues creep me out but we're stuck here in the Flynn
We're playing in a tombstone but we're trying to win.
We're gonna make it tonight
The playoffs start and end tonight
The playoffs start and end tonight

Once upon a time, I was jumping for joy
But now I'm always steeling my soul
Nothing I can do, a total eclipse of the goal.
Once upon a time, there was light in my cleats
Now I fear I'll never be whole
Nothing we can do, a total eclipse of the goal.

Turn around--
Every now and then I know I'll never be the boy
Who steps into a Golden Boot
Turn around--
Every now and then I hope I'll get to be the boy
Who frustrates them all when they shoot
Turn around--
Every now and then I know there's nothing in the universe
As wonderful and strange as this game
Turn around--
Every now and then I know it changes you forever
And there's no chance of staying the same

Turn around, dig out--
Every now and then the ball will bend
Turn around, dig out--
I know this is a start or an end

All around the pitch they run
For they sure know how to wander
But if we only score just one
That's a lead we shouldn't squander
And we'll fight until we're done
Cause we'll never give up
Together we can make it till the whistle is blown
The fans will tell our story with each cheer and each groan.
Sometimes I feel so lost it's like the sun's in a cloud
But then I know that it's my chance to make us all proud
We're gonna make it tonight
The World Cup's gonna start tonight
The World Cup's gonna start tonight

Once upon a time, I was riding the bench
But now I'm standing tall as a vet
Nothing I can do, a total eclipse of the net
Once upon a time, I was scared to begin
But now I'm always ready and set
Nothing I can do, a total eclipse of the net

(Spand-Maunk 24, Kotani 62)
(Tadić 36; Turmal-Hence 18, Marcus 51, Hildegard 78)
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Audioslavia » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:32 am

Tempus Rising as Referendum Nears
Audioslavians to vote on '2 / 4' question in coming weeks

"More Four Years" chants one half of Festival Square, Cathair, their blue placards adorned with slogans written in white. "Don't Waste Our Time" says one. "Audioslavians Are a Race Against Time" says another. A third simply says "Tempus Fuckit". Team More Four Years are out in force. When you can get a word in edgewise, the core beliefs of Team 4-Per-Cycle are bellowed directly at your face.

"If we go to 2 years per cycle, our kids will get less schooling" says one.
"How?" I ask. A blink.
"Right now, kids in foreign schools only get two years at school per cycle, right" says someone else, in the background. "Whereas Audioslavian kids have spent four years at school in that same time period"
"Yeah!" shouts the first guy, kind of towards me but mainly towards himself.
"And think of our poor footballers" says another. "They'd have to play 100 or so games in just two years, instead of in four. They'll be exhausted!"
"Yeah!" cry four people behind me.
"I've been living four years at a time since all my life" says another. "Good old Audioslavian time never hurt anybody."
"We've got both political parties on our side" says one protestor. "That means both possible opinions are four. Nuff said"

Across the square, their opponents are just as vociferous.

"If we keep with four years per cycle, our kids will get less schooling" says one.
"How?" I ask. A blink.
"Well you only get 4 cycles until you turn 16 and leave school" says someone else, in the background. "If we switch, we'll get 8 cycles until our children leave school"
"Yeah!" Shouts the first guy, kind of towards me but mainly towards himself.
"And think of the poor footballers" says another. "They can only play, what, 100 or so games over four years. They spend weeks at home, doing nothing. We're losing generations of talent to boredom"
"Yeah!" cry two people behind me.
"I've been living four years at a time since all my life" says another. "Good old Audioslavian time never helped anybody."
"They've got both political parties on their side" says one protestor. "Nuff said"

I look up at their placards. In contrast to Team More Four Years and their blue placards, Team Back Turn Time have come out in force with their placards in the colour of, er, blue.

"It represents time speeding up" says one member of the Two-Per-Cycle gang. "Doppler effect. Blue shift. Things come towards you quick and then they go blue, so we're team blue"
"We're team blue" shouts a man from across the fence. "You stole our colour!"
"No, idiot, you should be team red" says the 2-per. "Time slowing down, going away from you. Red shift"
"No, idiot, you should be team red" says the 4-per. "We're blue because we're travelling faster through time. Doppler effect. Blue shift. Things come towards you and then they go blue"
"We're going faster through time!" Snarls the 2-per. "We age slower and the cycles go by quicker"
"We're going faster through time!" Snarls the 4-per. "We age quicker and the cycles go by slower"
"Have you thought about having different shades of blue?" I opine, cocking my head to one side. At this point, both antagonists are pressed up against the wire fence snarling buzzwords at one another.
"They can change" says the 4-per. "They can have dark blue or light blue. We're blue"
"We're blue! You guys are just a shit oversaturated teal" shouts the 2-per.
"No we're not we're proper blue. We're royal blue"
"Eurgh, royal? Gross. That's such a Fourish thing to say, you fourlistine"
"Oh yeah? Well royal blue is the most blue, so suck my four by four, you two-douche"
"Nuh uh. We're really blue. We're scarlet blue"
"You what" snarls the 4-per. I have to echo his question.
"I'm sorry, I beg your pardon, did you say you were scarlet blue"
"Yeah" says the 2-per. "Scarlet blue"
"Scarlet blue's not a thing you two-sticle" hurr-durrs the 4-per.
"It is. Scarlet red is when it's really really red. Like the red that's proper red, so scarlet blue is the blue that's blue. It's blue. We're blue!"
"Blue!" Cries a 2-per from behind Captain Scarlet.
"BLUE!" Shouts a man from the 4-per side. Before long, large crowds from both sides of the divide are screaming their colour at one another, seemingly trying their hardest to not fall into a chant, so the end result is just the sound blúblúblúblúblúblúblúblúblúblúblúblúblúblúblú getting louder and louder.

So, as it turns out, neither side really have a grasp on what they're voting for, and experts in the field, if they have said anything at all, have been drowned out. It almost brings a prideful tear to your eye. It's a proper binary choice referendum, and it's right here in Audioslavia. It's like we're a proper country with actual politics. And what's more, attention will be diverted from our generationally important by, of all things, a sporting competition. Audioslavia have defied the odds to win their first qualifying group in six cycles (24 years, currently. And, indeed, 24 years it shall remain: a '2' vote will only affect future time) to ensure maximum confusion come the day of the referendum.
Last edited by Audioslavia on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pasarga
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasarga » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:57 am

For all the bluster and hope that the Wanderers had entered into the last window with, it all seemed to go horribly wrong and through no effort of their own, they have achieved a spot in the playoffs that will determine the last ten spots to enter into the World Cup. There was a genuine hope following a six point window that the Wanderers were hitting their stride and starting to figure things out towards the end of the campaign after it had been quite the roller coaster affair in the beginning and middle parts of the campaign. The defense had looked absolutely sharp for large portions of the campaign, with the only real poor showing coming in the trip to Quebec where they allowed three goals, though the offense itself had been living a very poor life for this campaign, of which the strikers age having been a point of inquest at various points throughout. With two games against whom on paper the side was supposed to be well above and one of those actually being at home against one of the worst sides in the group, a minimum of three or even four points was the expected outcome of the pair of matches.

For the second time, Vyktoria set up with ten men behind the ball and dared the Wanderers to try and find a way to break them down, much as they had done in their place when the Wanderers had traveled there to end the first half of the campaign. However unlike in that match, the visitors were able to snatch an unlikely goal on the counter just before the halftime whistle and took all of the wind out of the sails of the team and the atmosphere out of the stadium. Despite having not scored yet, the fans were still singing in the stands there was a hopeful, jubilant atmosphere in the ground but that goal on the counter by Arland III, fed through by Salman made the stadium almost goal silent. Salai would be the one to bring some pep back into the step with a second half goal out of nothing, the beneficiary of some pinball from a free kick into the mixer and being the one to finally get the touch to put it past the keeper. Despite a near on barrage of their half during the last twenty-five minutes, Vyktoria was able to play up to their stratagems and keep the Wanderers from finding a second goal that they were desperately searching for and to ease the pressure off the trip to Amenria in the final game.

As luck would have it, Amenria would lose in Arrosia to a resurgent Siovanija and Teusland, whose second half was able to let them creep into fifth and nearly stole fourth place at the end of their own campaign, a solid showing despite early poor form in the group. That loss combined with the draw that the Wanderers salvaged in their own game meant that the game at Amenria meant nothing but pride and for the Wanderers, trying to posture for a better spot in the playoff seeding and avoiding a nightmare matchup, more on that later. It was domination from start to finish for the Wanderers, yet domination means nothing if the strikers are able to find their way to actually convert the plethora of chances. Sixty-two percent possession, thirty-two shots, sixteen shots on target, but only a solitary goal from Bazzi to show for all the domination that the Wanderers had during the game. The hosts had three shots, all three on target, and all three were goals. It was truly one of the greatest statistical anomalies and the feeling of being completely gut-punched that will not be soon forgotten with all the importance that was on the match. This will be the game that they will point to in the future to prospects and stars and show why clinical finishing is what often separates two teams on the highest of levels.

The loss means that the side only finishes a single point ahead of Amenria and on a paltry twenty-one points, with a record that would show that the team in half of their games in the campaign were the victims of an upset by the way of world ranking. It means that side finishes on less than two points per game, which is generally seen as the minimum threshold for teams to find their way into the playoffs or Finals themselves, though it would have been enough to have taken the group in Group 20, where Reçueçn won the group on twenty points as our fellow Rushmori side of Mytanija were on a terror of being draw specialists, finishing with seven of them and three wins to go with their two losses and a fifth place finish in the group. Overall it has been a rough cycle for Rushmore, with Nephara and Graintfjall withdrawing from the competition as well Mytanija, Cabo Azure, Sargossa, Darmen, The Kytler Peninsulae, Eura, and Cassadaigua all failing to even make the playoffs from high in the ranks, while teams like Polar Islandstates, Rea San Vegas, and Oberour Ar Moro failing to impress, not to mentioned the continued torture of our friends in Eastfield Lodge. It is a down cycle for the region as a whole that needs a few playoff results to try to offset the sting.

Joining the Wanderers in the playoffs from Rushmore will be Yuezhou, Zenic, and Gnejs, and none of the teams have been drawn with one another, meaning they can join the likes of Tikariot in the Finals from the region. For the Wanderers, it is from the frying pan and into the fire thanks to the inability to win either of their last two games and having the second worst record to make the playoff. As such, the opponents that they have to play against are the might foes from Zwangzug, a team who are higher than them in the rankings and have played far better football than the Wanderers have throughout the campaign. If there is a small blessing, it is that the match will be taking place on a neutral ground, with the sides traveling to Mertagne for their single leg tie, more specifically the Flynn Ar3na in New Fligsive. For a side who has suffered from half a campaign where they have been on the wrong side of the upset bug, they now need to channel the same energy as which was directed at them and turn it around on Zwangzug. The talent factor is near on even but the independently affiliated nation was nearly flawless with two losses and a draw compared to their nine wins and only the mere six that the Wanderers conjured up. While the role of the underdog is a tough pill to swallow, it is the role the side has in this tie and has to utilize if they are to escape from the terrible fate they have treaded upon and not make a second straight appearance in the Cup of Harmony.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports