NATION

PASSWORD

The World Cup Discussion Thread (OOC, Version IV)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Al-Tamazgha
Attaché

Founded: Jun 12, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Al-Tamazgha » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:19 am

I think Poaf best echoes my thoughts on this, though my continued preference remains on having a rough idea of overall WC-CoH by the halfway point of WC for prospective CoH bidders to work out with WC cohosts. It would also be handy considering decent likelihood of us getting bids that involve a 48-team World Cup. I am somewhat ambivalent about it, and could see both sides of the argument. Would not be opposed as long as we have a clear confirmation IRL this wouldn't change out of blue like how pleasant of a change we have seen with us no longer getting the dreaded 16x3 for 2026 (this where I do differ from Poaf).

I also don't really buy the elitism argument that comes up now and then - this has been the case in other times this 'issue' would be raised, I didn't buy it then and I still don't buy it now - but that's really a me thing and should not apply to WC overall where participation levels regularly get discussed anyway.

I think this part is important to recognise though:

PotatoFarmers wrote:For the record, I would have voted for the 0-team Cup of Harmony if it was on the list.

From hosting the Cup of Harmony last cycle, I have found that our RP levels are definitely not anywhere near the levels we faced when we had huge Cup of Harmony (the pandemic period), and what I feel may be a more optimal size would be around 24-32 teams in general, usually closer to 24 teams if anything. While lowering standards might help to bring the numbers up, I do not quite agree with that notion because I felt that diluting the pool of roleplayers by having such low standards does not give the tournament the quality it used to have.

I think much of the doom and gloom about the RP/participation levels not reaching anywhere near the huge CoH days is because we are comparing to what's a fairly fortuitous situation with interest level spiked by Corona.

Let's say they would be up to CoH 82, maybe 83. Starting around 84, it started getting a bit more challenging to even reach more than 32 invites on board, which was something that Delaclava has mentioned on his own bid post when stating his preferred competition size. 85 used a slightly different metric, and Poaf already testified that the numbers were simply not there past 32. It is unlikely that we are going to go back to those times, or at least without an unexpected situation emerging, in near future.

And that's fine.

I remember the times when I have cohosted two CoHs in the seventies when the numbers were generally lower or maybe just equal to what we have right now. It was once as a junior to Kry who I do respect very much, and once as senior to Schottia who was no less than class, and I recall the CoH sizes being smaller than 32 or barely fitting 32 teams. In those times, in order to even maintain a certain semblance of number, the invites were extended out more broadly, so to speak, to help out reaching a more encompassing, acceptable number.

Had it been up to my preferred, entirely hypothetical standard now in this day and age, especially hypothetical as I am not looking to bid on a NSWC tournament for very long time if ever, I don't think the numbers would have changed that much. The average quality may have increased but the participation numbers aren't looking that different either, so in some ways we are just going back to the 'good ole days' while also accompanying ourselves with improved average quality. Thus making life easier for current bidders.

And that's fine. There is no moral obligation to have a large-sized CoH. In this we are heading towards the right direction, though to what extent methods use may vary as we have so far seen among three bidding teams. I'm sure that all four users, who I have nothing but good things to say about, would do a decent job.

Naixi wrote:Is anyone else in the camp that we should just make things a little more random? Fully or partially unseeding qualifying draws, using the old SQIS formula, using the old NSFS formula that got more random the more you Increased the max points constant? I just think that increasing the randomness "R" would make the WC feel more special for higher-ranked teams and make the WC feel less inaccessible (and the CoH feel like "this thing I have to do every God damn cycle") to mid and lower-ranked teams.

I don't think increasing the randomness 'R' would make it any more special for those of higher-ranked teams, but rather it would just drive people away from RPing consistently.

As with what Poaf had said, the notion of achievement is relative and I don't think trying to make things 'more random' for the sake of ranking volatility and mother nature, etc, would make it more special. Nor would it improve a fairly common sentiment about the competition - this is one that I do agree with, though I have long maintained over time that at least a CoH or an alternative proposed in its place is needed, provided we have enough participants meeting the calibre.

It may look good on surface and morality terms by saying 'let more randos in and we should do more of that', but in practice it's lot more different. While that idea might apply to you or a few others, but I could also imagine much of this community at least being driven away further due to frustrations instead considering how upset people do get now and then after every window. And that is with measures taken over the years trying to help conduce more RP-friendly environment, etc, etc. That's what I still see people mentioning re: IFCF, and in some ways climbing high in domestic football is lot easier than consistently qualifying for the World Cup thanks to improvements having been made over time. Just telling them to ''Chin Up Buttercup' ain't exactly the way to do it.

Also for how liked your proposed ideas may be, I am not going to say if you may be alone on this. I would assume not at all. That said, I just don't think that the likelihood of those ideas passing (if put to a bid) is that high, considering how quite a few people had already claimed their entire families were murdered over a proposal that did propose a reasonably-proposed (though with less than ideal title used of Runner Cup) alternative...
Last edited by Al-Tamazgha on Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:58 am, edited 10 times in total.

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:59 pm

I have an idea for CoH88 that might be food for thought.

I shall say no more on the matter for now, mainly because I want to flesh out said idea in the meantime.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:28 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding what the issue at hand really is, but I do not understand how cutting numbers in the Cup of Harmony or even eliminating it does anything to help cultivate an RP-friendly environment. It seems to me if that is what you want, then you would look to expand participation as widely as possible.

Is "calibre" of roleplaying the point of being here? How does having more people participating, even if not very actively or meeting the apparent quality standards there's an apparent wish to impose, become a problem? Dare I ask if I'm meeting the quality standards?

Do people think this isn't an "RP-friendly" environment? Why?

Naixi
Envoy

Founded: Dec 31, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Naixi » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:13 pm

Kelssek wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding what the issue at hand really is, but I do not understand how cutting numbers in the Cup of Harmony or even eliminating it does anything to help cultivate an RP-friendly environment. It seems to me if that is what you want, then you would look to expand participation as widely as possible.

Is "calibre" of roleplaying the point of being here? How does having more people participating, even if not very actively or meeting the apparent quality standards there's an apparent wish to impose, become a problem? Dare I ask if I'm meeting the quality standards?

Do people think this isn't an "RP-friendly" environment? Why?

I strongly agree. Surely it is not controversial to say that the burden of proof is on those who want to make a massive change to NSWC sanctioned-events, the existence of which are guaranteed by the constitution, to explain why the current situation is such an existential crisis?

Don't get me wrong, I've heard some explanations, all of which I'm sure are voiced with sincere worry. I've heard "there might be a 48-team World Cup soon." I've heard "it's annoying to listen to people complain about the Cup of Harmony." I've heard "the Cup of Harmony doesn't make sense to me ICly." I've heard "Naixi and a bunch of other people got way too mad about this zero-team CoH bid that I liked."

With all due respect, under absolutely no circumstance is anyone getting me to vote for constitutional changes with the heretofore provided explanations. I think the "CoH has got to go" bloc needs to either A) do a better job explaining to folks like Kelssek, Cassadaigua, and myself why the need to restructure is so great, or B) cobble together the votes to ram a future constitutional amendment through without us and risk a huge fucking fight. I'd strongly prefer A) but that's just me.
ALSO UNFORTUNATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR: THE PAZHUJEB ISLANDS, KAGDAZKA, STVOTO LATOLI, & KAGDAZKA AND PAZHUJEBU

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:57 am

Kelssek wrote:Do people think this isn't an "RP-friendly" environment? Why?

Not sure, but if I had argue it wasn't, I'd probably point to our poor retention of new players.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:53 am

The poor retention of new players is just a symptom of a larger problem. For those who say this structure isn't elitist, what makes it not elitist? I think it's clearly elitist and unfriendly to new ideas.

When I first got here back in antiquity, folks here were arguing against RP bonuses with a straight face and a few F-bombs. Thank Cat that ship has sailed.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:51 am

Sarzonia wrote:I think it's clearly elitist and unfriendly to new ideas.

Yeah, like when someone proposes a bid where the CoH is replaced for one cycle...

Think about it. When's the last time we really had a surprise CoH winner (i.e. someone who wasn't expected to qualify for the World Cup), or a lower-potted nation that made a deep run in the CoH? I'm not in the "get rid of the CoH" camp though I'll probably never participate in it again, simply because the last thing I want to do after failing to qualify for the World Cup is do more roleplaying; in fact I'd argue that nobody really is in the "get rid of the CoH" camp while the World Cup remains at 32. I certainly haven't gleaned any sense of that sentiment from anyone throughout this week-long fracas.

Maybe the solution to really encourage roleplaying is to just use KPB for seeding for the CoH and then start everyone from 0, so everyone who just wants to turn up and leave can, while the roleplayers can have their fun. Or simply de-emphasise the ability to gain KPB at the CoH.
Last edited by Tumbra on Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:19 am

Tumbra wrote:
Think about it. When's the last time we really had a surprise CoH winner (i.e. someone who wasn't expected to qualify for the World Cup), or a lower-potted nation that made a deep run in the CoH?

Cup of Harmony 86 (WC 94)- Archalit, ranked #99 at start of Cycle, finishes 3rd.
Cup of Harmony 84 (WC 92)- Won by Saint Eleanor (ranked #33 at start of WCQ, so not an "expected to make World Cup" rank).
Cup of Harmony 84 (WC 92)- Juvencus, ranked #54 at start of CoH, finishes 3rd.

It's been happening recently.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:27 am

Cassadaigua wrote:
Cup of Harmony 86 (WC 94)- Archalit, ranked #99 at start of Cycle, finishes 3rd.
Cup of Harmony 84 (WC 92)- Won by Saint Eleanor (ranked #33 at start of WCQ, so not an "expected to make World Cup" rank).

Point taken (though I'll disagree with 33rd being unexpected to make the World Cup - I'd argue that if you're part of pots 1 to 3, you could reasonably expect to make it, and Saint Eleanor did make World Cup 91); but it could happen more, couldn't it? Two dark horse runs from a possible twelve semifinalist slots if we're giving a three-cycle retrospective...doesn't really help if we're positioning the CoH as something to keep lower-ranked nations engaged.
Last edited by Tumbra on Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)

Al-Tamazgha
Attaché

Postby Al-Tamazgha » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:56 am

I think what Tumbra emphasises is important.

Nobody's saying that there should be no CoH or an alternative while the World Cup is under 32-team format.

I have raised my point earlier that nobody's obligated to have a large-sized CoH and still stand by it. Currently proposed sizes by all three CoH bidding parties stand to be around 24-32 teams. For example:

Delaclava wrote:
PotatoFarmers wrote:Given the RP quality up till the midway mark, how many people (without considering WCC qualifications), would you consider to be eligible for your Cup of Harmony?

I have (very briefly) reviewed the body of work so far. As of the 371st post in the RP thread (belonging to Græntfjall), 87 nations had posted at least twice. I counted 54 whom, at first glance, I would extend an invitation. At this time, I believe this suggests we would eventually settle on a nice field of 24-32 quality RPers.

This doesn't suggest anything unusual or out of ordinary, considering the current RP level where we have still have the same quality but numbers are just reverting to less active times than 2020-22. And yes, I get that this only uses those who have posted at least twice, but the general preference for invites sent out to nations (nations do not mean users, I would assume that puppets are not as high up on the list compared to mains) seem to be no less than three RPs of certain standard, so maybe we'll get a slightly more updated numbers. Still well within ~32 nations, something that does not really differ from what we have seen in 84 or 86 (85 selection criteria were slightly different).

It's all relative. I would also note that when I mentioned CoH-64 or CoH-68, the average quality of RPers may have been different but not the overall number of RPers or eligible RPers, so to speak. Just that the times have caught up. Current bids having same numbers, with fortune that they have had in people improving across he board, doesn't make it any more exclusionist, considering that Cup of Harmony is an invitational regardless. Otherwise just get rid of the invitation criteria mentioned in the tournament altogether.

There is and will be demand. Even under 48-team format there would be enough demand to maintain a small sized one going as small as 8-12 teams. But that doesn't mean there's no demand for it. Maybe by the time we risk only having eight, sure, the viability may be in question, but it's so far into the future with no certainty of us seeing a 48-team NS World Cup before summer 2026 just yet.

Tumbra wrote:Maybe the solution to really encourage roleplaying is to just use KPB for seeding for the CoH and then start everyone from 0, so everyone who just wants to turn up and leave can, while the roleplayers can have their fun. Or simply de-emphasise the ability to gain KPB at the CoH.

Interesting ideas especially the former, but this would also require adjusting KPB formula to some extent? It's kinda inevitable considering the range of flexibility that could be required in unusual circumstances.

As I have said before, the KPB formula is a twenty-year-old one that has been in discussions under a task force for some time now, to see what could be updated. Maybe hearing more on that front would be helpful.
Last edited by Al-Tamazgha on Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Delte
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2022
Anarchy

Postby Delte » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:57 am

I’ve always enjoyed the CoH and planned for it every cycle regardless of rank.

The first ever cycle I completed from start to finish, New Montreal States was hosting the CoH. I got my invite after a good but unsuccessful run in the BoF, and generally having fun being pounded in the World Cup Qualifiers.

NMS reached out to me after I accepted my invite, was encouraging about my RP, told me I should probably not expect to get out of the group stage in my first CoH, but if I stuck at it I would do well. I didn’t get out of the group stage. I did stick at it. I did do well, eventually. I can honestly say that positive interaction from a senior was enough to keep me hooked through my first major incarnation.

There is a lesson from NMS on how to retain new users, if retention is an issue. I’m not talking about formal mentoring, I’m talking about if you think users are being lost early on because they take a pounding in the first cycle or even if it’s because there is an elitism at the heart of NSWC (let me tell you it was so much more overt back then) there is a way to fix it without changing competitions or constitutions or the capacity for new users to go on deep runs. All of that is unnecessary. You just have to be encouraging. Maybe that’s the collective failure here.
HOW GREEN IS THE VALLEY
AND ALSO THE RIVER

Al-Tamazgha
Attaché

Postby Al-Tamazgha » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:10 am

Delte wrote:I’ve always enjoyed the CoH and planned for it every cycle regardless of rank.

The first ever cycle I completed from start to finish, New Montreal States was hosting the CoH. I got my invite after a good but unsuccessful run in the BoF, and generally having fun being pounded in the World Cup Qualifiers.

NMS reached out to me after I accepted my invite, was encouraging about my RP, told me I should probably not expect to get out of the group stage in my first CoH, but if I stuck at it I would do well. I didn’t get out of the group stage. I did stick at it. I did do well, eventually. I can honestly say that positive interaction from a senior was enough to keep me hooked through my first major incarnation.

There is a lesson from NMS on how to retain new users, if retention is an issue. I’m not talking about formal mentoring, I’m talking about if you think users are being lost early on because they take a pounding in the first cycle or even if it’s because there is an elitism at the heart of NSWC (let me tell you it was so much more overt back then) there is a way to fix it without changing competitions or constitutions or the capacity for new users to go on deep runs. All of that is unnecessary. You just have to be encouraging. Maybe that’s the collective failure here.

Now with this, you and I can both agree that NSS (as whole) could aim to be more conducive towards collaboration and just working with more new or returning users. We do often lack that as a community.

I remember when I was cohosting BoF 62 with Cosumar. I don't have the exact details, but I do remembering being TG'd before or very early into the competition when I was asked by an user who asked me if I could provide further information and perhaps even provide a character or two for his BoF arc. I said, sure, sent a certain Marouane. Maroune and their new owner have done wonderful work with it in the 5 cycles the user's nation would stay in the NSWC, perhaps beyond what I had imagined.

While that may be the example I'd like to specifically use for this purpose, I have had similar occasions with multiple new or returning users, and each time I was grateful for the opportunity because it also aided my NSS experience, WC or outside of it. This doesn't mean that I was only reaching out. This also helped when I was slowly coming back to footballing capacity or NSS overall to lesser extent. I was also in a fortunate situation when Cassadiagua helped out with my originally-proposed idea in the World Cup 85 cycle, and that became a strong storyline that helped me to come back in World Cup 85 cycle. One could argue that the fruits of the support continues to this day, if one has been somewhat following my storylines lightly (or forced to follow, sorry to many WC cohosts over last few yrs lol).

For all of those times I remain thankful on either end.
Last edited by Al-Tamazgha on Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:22 am

A good friendly RP environment, to me, is an environment where people give me enough information about themselves and open the door for us to work on those information to further our RPs. This is a community, not some solo RP world where everything revolves around your nation and you are in 100% control of things.

I am not particularly against people RPing match reports or the so-called "low quality RPs", but having them in the Cup of Harmony to me just doesn't help anything at all because if those RPs are what they want to do, they would have 8-10 cutoffs to do it in the World Cup. Neither am I advocating for ridiculously long roleplays or an entire long story for the entire tournament, at least I think there must be something different from just taking in the scoreline, and spitting out some factual regurgitation of whatever happened. And that was exactly the standard me and Huay tried to enforce when we were deciding on Cup of Harmony invites. In fact, I was very willing to accept nations who tried to add variety to their roleplays but wrote very little roleplays, because to me, some splattering of colors is better than a dull, reptitive piece of roleplay all in black and white.

I am not going to rehash my arguments for a larger World Cup, which I have strongly advocated for a long time, but I want to make it clear that I am not strictly for a smaller Cup of Harmony. In fact I did mention that I would love to see a Cup of Harmony to continue when we have the roleplaying numbers to make up for it. The issue I have here is actually just forcing huge tournaments for the sake of it - I don't see how the Cup of Harmony needs to be at such a large scale if the roleplaying quality does not justify it. In fact I would be okay with an 8-team Cup of Harmony if that is what it is. My vote for the 0-team bid (if it existed) was a bid for the principle of having smaller CoH, not a vote to scrap the CoH.

New user retention in such a highly-demanding interest is never meant to be easy. Having seen other roleplaying communities, I feel that retention can simply be a matter of a style mismatch. If my style matches the community, then I stay here. Else I find another community where I may thrive better. Its as simple as that. One think a number of hosts have been doing well is how they were willing to provide feedback about the written roleplays and their thoughts about the content provided. Its probably too much of an ask to provide a summary report to each RPer at the end of a tournament, but at least we should make newer RPers know more prominently that such an option exist. Or at least some level of feedback.
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Barunia
Minister

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Barunia » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:28 am

PotatoFarmers wrote:New user retention in such a highly-demanding interest is never meant to be easy. Having seen other roleplaying communities, I feel that retention can simply be a matter of a style mismatch. If my style matches the community, then I stay here. Else I find another community where I may thrive better. Its as simple as that. One think a number of hosts have been doing well is how they were willing to provide feedback about the written roleplays and their thoughts about the content provided. Its probably too much of an ask to provide a summary report to each RPer at the end of a tournament, but at least we should make newer RPers know more prominently that such an option exist. Or at least some level of feedback.

Absolutley against the idea of style being a requirement for retention or roleplaying: We should be fostering an environment where people can RP however they like. NS Sports has always been one of the most diverse roleplaying communties, with a huge variety of different styles. We've always allowed people to roleplay whatever they like, not just match reports but political dramas, personal stories, travel guides, and more. That is a strength, not a weakness, and should be nurtured as such.
Head of Dipomacy for the Union of Red Nations
Join the URN! A place for all communists, socialists, and left-wing nations.
I use my factbook!

Officially jolly good sporting chaps! Winners of the 2nd Chap Olympiad! (As MCSA)

Football
Baptism of Fire 51: Quarter-finalists
Cup of Harmony 62 & 64: Runner-ups
Qualified for World Cup 67,68,73,74,75

Rugby Union World Cup 25 - Third Place

Hosts of the 4th T20 Cricket World Cup
Third Place in the 4th T20 Cricket World Cup

Hosts of the Celebration of Field Hockey

Board Member of the World Calvinball Federation

Rugby World Cup 26 Champions
Author of Issue #604

Farfadillis
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2012

Postby Farfadillis » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:39 pm

For the record, because I've been apparently placed in a so-called 'CoH has to go' bloc: I floated the idea of an amendment which would let us drop the CoH if the community so desired, maybe even setting a few requirements first if people are particularly hostile to the idea of the community voting against running a CoH on any given cycle (eg: CoH must happen if 16 users fit [RP requirement]). I think letting people just vote on it unconditionally is good enough, though, because unlike with some other things like RP bonus, friendly scorination or WC format, there's not a lot of room for "populism" so to speak: you can't really propose anything more extreme than no CoH/no KPB reward for the CoH, and it's an inherently unpopular option (by the looks of it, at least). This means that if people for whatever reason did vote against having a CoH on a given cycle, there would probably be a good reason for it.

I think the CoH might very well be a way for old users to entrench themselves in the high ranks more than a welcoming experience for New Userland, who will probably bow out in the group stages with the way the CoH is usually run (relatedly: I'd be heavily in favor of a KPB-used-only-for-seeding CoH). That said, I think our (un)friendliness to new users is fairly tangential to whether we allow the community to do away with the CoH if the votes say it wants to. We don't prohibit WC bids featuring low-max-rank, low-RP-bonus NSFS qualifiers, for example, and I think those are extremely unwelcoming to new users for what should be fairly obvious reasons. I don't see why we would need to prohibit a no-KPB CoH when it's a far less damaging, if damaging at all, prospect by itself.

For the record, I have been pointing out low retention of new users as a problem for the better part of a decade now. However, as Delte (perhaps accidentally) points out, it's the kind of thing that (in my opinion) comes down more to the community's culture than any specific changes to the constitution, rankings, competition format or scorinator formulae. That doesn't mean it's not worth worrying about (I'd argue the exact opposite, in fact), but it does mean we might be missing the trees for the forest here. My initial proposal was far more narrow than the problem now being tackled.
The Outlandish Lands of Farfadillis Ӿ Population: 20,814,000 ± 11,186,000
Capital: not applicable Ӿ Demonym: Farf, plural Farves
Shango-Fogoa Premier League (wiki) Ӿ Farfadillis national football team Ӿ Map of Farfadillis Ӿ Name Generator

Champions: World Cup 84 and AOCAF Cups 43, 48 and 57
Hosts: World Cups 85 and 91, Baptisms of Fire 54, 68 and 78 and AOCAF Cups 38, 60 and 67

Mytanija
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mytanija » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Had meant to respond here previously, but I have had a ridiculously busy few days with work and have not had the chance up until now, so please take this as a response to you if the shoe fits. It may be a bit long and rambling, but I'll try to get my views across as best I can. I will also make full disclosure now that I am not sure how this would work in terms of a formula for the rankings, or that it would even work better than what we have now, but I suppose the main point I am making is relevant to the Cup of Harmony.

First of all, I think my ideal World Cup cycle and KPB set-up looks like the following: Baptism of Fire (with KPBs available); World Cup qualifying (primary source of KPBs); World Cup proper (mere qualification valued less than it is now, but deep runs rewarded); Cup of Harmony if there is enough interest (no KPBs available).

In my view this welcomes newcomers with a gentle introduction to the World Cup and the potential for reward with a pretty exclusive trophy that you can only win once and some rank points. Then, the bulk of ranking is derived from World Cup qualifying itself, where users have the bulk of their matches and there is potential to build-up RP bonus throughout (something which I think should be rewarded more relative to rank & rand throughout our cycles). The World Cup proper is a reward in itself and more churn with different nations qualifying will reinforce that, I think deep runs should be appropriately rewarded. Finally, I think there should be a Cup of Harmony where there is interest in one, however, I do not think that KPBs should be available because in recent cycles I have heard of an increasing number of users more or less 'going through the motions' and only accepting invites to the tournament because if they do not accept it they will miss out on the opportunity to gain a few KPBs and feel like they are falling further behind those that perennially qualify for the World Cup proper.

Personally I would not sign-up for this version of the Cup of Harmony if I missed out on World Cup qualification most cycles for two reasons: one, because I usually want a break after RPing throughout World Cup qualification; two, because for me the Cup of Harmony is a slightly odd concept ICly / OOCly - which I say having won a pair of the things. I still think it should exist and be an option to have one for those who want to tie up loose ends with storylines and want a trophy to compete for, I would probably even join every so often along those lines too, but I do not want to feel like I have to join it at the end of a disappointing qualification run just to try and get a few KPBs.

Some have argued that it isn't truly coercive and that you can just skip it if you do not want to compete, which is true (and I may even do so this cycle), but given how stratified the World Cup often feels this seems a suboptimal choice if you want to be able to qualify for the World Cup in future cycles. I feel like we can do better than that and some tinkering with the way the rankings work and where points can be gained can go some way to alleviating feelings of coercion, because even if people don't agree that it truly is coercive there are clearly a number of users who sign-up out of an obligation to try and improve their chances for the next cycle rather than taking part for the virtue of extra RPing. If we reduce the bonus for mere qualification to the World Cup, reward qualifying itself more and take KPBs out of the equation for the CoH then I think we can go some way to alleviating that feeling. The CoH then becomes a tournament truly about rewarding RPers who want to take part rather than primarily a chance to scrabble for or add a few measly KPBs, which is what many have either been in denial about or been dishonest about for a while.

Constitutionality - I would strongly argue that the withdrawn bid from Graentfjall and Farfadillis is constitutional, and I think we need to decide for sure that it is. I would also support any amendment which explicitly adds the provision that we do not need to have a Cup of Harmony every cycle to clear this up, because although I think that's already obvious within the wording of the constitution it would do no harm to make it clear.
Last edited by Mytanija on Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FEDERATIVNA REPUBLIKA MYTANIJA
Federal Republic of Mytannion

Capital: Esca
Population: c. 49,600,000
Demonym: Mytanar

Interested in Mytanar sport? Visit the Mytanski sportski mediji web page

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:17 pm

Barunia wrote:Absolutley against the idea of style being a requirement for retention or roleplaying: We should be fostering an environment where people can RP however they like. NS Sports has always been one of the most diverse roleplaying communties, with a huge variety of different styles. We've always allowed people to roleplay whatever they like, not just match reports but political dramas, personal stories, travel guides, and more. That is a strength, not a weakness, and should be nurtured as such.

That is not what I meant. I meant that the various style of us roleplaying here is different from the roleplays styles exhibited elsewhere, such as in the P2TM subforum, or in the International Incidents subforum. In some communities, the people there tend to roleplay in short chunks but with much much higher back-and-forth frequency. In some communities, using RL time to move events is logical. In NSS, we tend to do things more sped-up and revolve around sports events as our main mechanism of moving things along. This is a natural style of the community. There is no way we can avoid that for a community. People may not like the way we do things, just like how members of our community may not like the way other parts of Nationstates is done.
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:24 pm

I am Saint Eleanor.

The CoH should continue to count for KPB until the Rank Taskforce issues its final report, if not beyond.

Cassadaigua wrote:
Tumbra wrote:
Think about it. When's the last time we really had a surprise CoH winner (i.e. someone who wasn't expected to qualify for the World Cup), or a lower-potted nation that made a deep run in the CoH?

I did expect to make the World Cup that cycle! But events interfered :lol: The only matches I didn't struggle to believe my luck in that tournament were the first couple of group stage games, which were very much not good.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading Possession by A.S. Byatt

Farfadillis
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2012

Postby Farfadillis » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:10 pm

Tinhampton wrote:The CoH should continue to count for KPB until the Rank Taskforce issues its final report, if not beyond.

Speaking purely as a member of the taskforce, but not for the taskforce, I personally find it much more informative if people actually have specific takes on how much the CoH should weight in the rankings than if they don't. The taskforce is not meant to prescribe the way the community goes about things, but rather describe it, and account for all the ways it might (this last part is hard). The work done so far has been with specific goals in mind, but specific goals we feel the community would want the taskforce to pursue. It's easier to feel out what these goals should be if people actually say what they think, instead of... well, not saying anything because surely we'll magically figure things out.

I also don't think the taskforce has any jurisdiction to say "you can't amend the constitution" or "you can't have a certain interpretation of the constitution as is currently written".
The Outlandish Lands of Farfadillis Ӿ Population: 20,814,000 ± 11,186,000
Capital: not applicable Ӿ Demonym: Farf, plural Farves
Shango-Fogoa Premier League (wiki) Ӿ Farfadillis national football team Ӿ Map of Farfadillis Ӿ Name Generator

Champions: World Cup 84 and AOCAF Cups 43, 48 and 57
Hosts: World Cups 85 and 91, Baptisms of Fire 54, 68 and 78 and AOCAF Cups 38, 60 and 67

Milchama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Milchama » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:15 pm

A couple of notes since we're into participation and newcomer retention now:

1. When I think about myself as a noob I very much saw this as mostly a video game. You do RP, you get rank, you eventually qualify for the WC. I don't think it's that different now for most newbies. This is why the Rank vs. RP arguments were so frequent across time. However, there was one major difference from when I was a noob to today; it was much much much easier to qualify for the World Cup. I don't mean that in terms of RP or time spent or whatever. I mean literally in terms of numbers. When I started there were between 100 and 120 nations in the World Cup of which 32 nations qualified. In other words, approximately 30% of the field of qualifiers qualified. It was not that difficult with RP and a little luck to qualify in three or four cycles and most new teams could do that. Today we're at 162 nations and just under 20% qualify. That's a much harder break and it means that's it's that much harder for a new nation to get into the World Cup. (That and coupled with more infrequent World Cups it means that somebody could be on the outside looking in for years but that's another argument). That's more discouraging for new users than anything else because once you figure out the game you realize you're kinda screwed for awhile. (For the record 48/162 = 29.6% or, you know, that 30% mark).

TL;DR: Yes, we should expand the World Cup and I will vote against every bid that doesn't do that.

2. Nobody seems to be against having a CoH. This includes both Graent and Farf, you know the people who made the bid that would have functionally canceled the CoH. The major question is what the CoH is for and the only real question about that comes down to how much do we care about ranks for the CoH?

My answer (and it is to both questions simultaneously): The CoH is for nations that didn't qualify for the World Cup to get a chance to increase their rank and RP more. The rankings thing is inherent to the CoH and it's a good thing because stratification is real and the only way to prevent stratification is to allow lesser ranked nations to build rank and that includes the CoH. It's pretty clear my feelings on the World Cup is that it should be difficult but not impossible to qualify and that being reasonably active should get you to a World Cup in a relatively quick time frame. The CoH is an important part of that because it allows for lesser ranked nations to do well and then increase their rank.

That said, it's clear that others disagree with this question but we should be framing our arguments around this question.
Milchama Sports achievements:
World Baseball Classic 23 Champion!
Note: The demonym is Milchamian. There are two of the letter "I(i)" and not one.

3x CoH winner (29, 46, 50) 3x WBC winner (4,5,23), 1x World Cup host (32) Various other minor trophies there's a football club trophy, a kleptochase trophy, Other minor international football trophies.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:30 am

Milchama wrote:My answer (and it is to both questions simultaneously): The CoH is for nations that didn't qualify for the World Cup to get a chance to increase their rank and RP more. The rankings thing is inherent to the CoH and it's a good thing because stratification is real and the only way to prevent stratification is to allow lesser ranked nations to build rank and that includes the CoH. It's pretty clear my feelings on the World Cup is that it should be difficult but not impossible to qualify and that being reasonably active should get you to a World Cup in a relatively quick time frame. The CoH is an important part of that because it allows for lesser ranked nations to do well and then increase their rank.

That said, it's clear that others disagree with this question but we should be framing our arguments around this question.

Again, and I want to make it very clear why I'm in favour of CoH reform — how much are those nations who didn't make the World Cup getting from the CoH? We've already seen how difficult it is for lesser ranked nations to gain real, tangible KPB increases from the CoH. Most of the time the latter stages just boil down to "hey, these are nations that really should have made the World Cup but didn't, wow, look at how stacked the CoH is." As Cass has mentioned above, two out of twelve semifinal spots over the past three cycles have been dark horse runs. How much are the lesser ranked nations (i.e. pot 4 and below) really benefitting from the CoH?

We can't present the CoH as "a tournament for roleplayers" or "a tournament for the smaller people" and then place those people in the same bracket as people who submit 60,000 words every cutoff in search of that valuable valuable KPB or RP bonus. If there's to be churn, and if we're really going to double down on rewarding roleplays, then start with the CoH, which supposedly is a tournament for roleplayers. But present a CoH bid where no KPB will be awarded — the purest form of a tournament for roleplayers, mind! — and everyone collectively loses their shit.
Last edited by Tumbra on Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:22 am

Tumbra wrote: If there's to be churn, and if we're really going to double down on rewarding roleplays, then start with the CoH, which supposedly is a tournament for roleplayers. But present a CoH bid where no KPB will be awarded — the purest form of a tournament for roleplayers, mind! — and everyone collectively loses their shit.

This is really a non sequitur to me. Double down on rewarding roleplays, starting with the CoH--I agree with that entirely. That's exactly why I think it makes no sense to strip all the rewards from the CoH. I would expect you to go the other direction, like you said before, and just use the KPB for seeding having everyone start from 0.

I will also reiterate that the C0H bid went much further than merely stripping away the KPB reward--rather than being the purest form of the tournament, it did away with it altogether and replaced it with something else entirely.

A lot of people have said things I really agree with in the last couple pages (Cass et al). In general I think the status quo in terms of rankings and tournament structure is just fine. (Not that I wouldn't be open to a 48 team WC.)
rəswɛsən

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:45 am

Recuecn wrote:I will also reiterate that the C0H bid went much further than merely stripping away the KPB reward--rather than being the purest form of the tournament, it did away with it altogether and replaced it with something else entirely.

What it ultimately comes down to, then, is what you participate in the CoH for — to roleplay, or for the KPB? (It's okay to say KPB, by the way.) A CoH by any other name has, to me, little to no bearing on what the substance of the tournament is; an invitational tournament held simultaneously with the World Cup for nations who didn't make the World Cup. Surely, hypothetically, if we got rid of the KPB aspect of the CoH, it could truly be a tournament for roleplayers, rather than just people feeling obligated to enter for just dregs of KPB?

But that's just hypotheticals. I'm in favour of the "KPB for seeding and everything else starts from 0" mechanic; I just find it funny that people have been saying "oh the CoH is for roleplaying, don't bother yourself too much with the KPB" and then absolutely lost their shit when we had a bid which didn't bother with KPB at all.
Last edited by Tumbra on Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:04 am

I think I previously mentioned this on the Discord but not written on the WCDT (because I didn't find it when searching):

In theory, with the way things have been working out in the World Cup Qualifier, with a larger group (ie. 8 groups of 6, which is my preference), it is much less likely for a WC direct team to be pointless. And therefore, I think the Cup of Harmony as is is okay (ie. to be slightly more than a WC 0-0-3). What I am concerned with is in the case where the format is not 8 groups of 6. Whether it is the existing 8 groups of 4, or an alternative 12 groups of 4 (I don't like classifying best X winners/runners-up), the groups are small enough such that a 0-0-3 or a 0-1-2 is more common as a whole. This means a CoH winning run is likely to outscore a WC, and that reduces the benefits of qualifying for the WC.

On the other hand, I would hope that the WC scale could be scaled down slightly such that the impact of the rank is not as big. While we do face churn every cycle, I think there needs to be a point where we the churn might be better to cater to newcomers - allowing them more ability to cause upsets. So something like reducing the max KPB such that the top 50 gap is similiar to the gap between 50 and unranked.

The Archregimancy
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:36 am

Just a very quick note that I've quite deliberately decided not to offer my opinion on the discussions currently taking place on the CoH, KPB, and player retention.

It's not that I'm not interested in the topics - the reverse is true - but rather that I felt at least one of the Sports mods familiar with the basis of these discussions needs to stay uninvolved just in the off chance that discussion becomes heated and moderator intervention becomes necessary. That's not purely a hypothetical, either; I've already had to intervene once in a bid thread.

Obviously I'm hoping intervention here won't become necessary; but I felt it would be best for us to have a just in case moderation option.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports