NATION

PASSWORD

IX Winter Olympics RP thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:28 am

Electrum Half-Weekly Sports Magazine - 9th Winter Olympics - Day 9 to 12

Dear Readers,
The 9th Winter Olympics is in full swing! With half of the multiverse's favourite competition already over, Electrum STILL does not have a medal yet. Fear not, we are making some progress here. Let us not forget that our first medal was won on Day 10 last year. Nonetheless, on Day 9, Mbutu Mandell/Tim Hader are favourites in the bobsleigh, where they have practised hard after last year's performance. DeeDee Quach and Samantha Amber will be competing in the Biathlon 12.5km mass start where DeeDee has been training very hard for that event.

Kenny Tyre and Tim Barrow will be competing in the second Nordic Combined event, which tests both their jumping ability and the speed. Then, on Day 12, James Milliner will compete in the Parallel Giant Slalom - after sustaining an injury just before the Olympics and pulling out of several events, he is back for this event only. Those are the to-be highlights for this half week. Finally, the Men's Curling team will be carrying the hopes of the nation as they get into the finals with spectacular wins over New North Amquland and Vettrera. This half week's magazine will be dedicated to the men's curling team.

From,
The Editor

Dynamo CC
Dynamo CC comes from the Eastern part of the conurbation in which we call Centralis. Dynamo CC is captained (or to use the curling term, skipped) by Janus Peters, is lead by Lead Peter Stein, 2nd is Mark Einarrson and 3rd is Conan Boyle. Dynamo CC is located in a town called Prescott, home to two million people, all four of these players are locals and also played in last year's Winter Olympics. Dynamo CC has recently received funding from the Electrum Department of Health, Wellbeing and Sports after their quarterfinalist berth last year. Being recently upgraded, it contains 6 curling sheets and a capacity of 20,000 spectators. It was recently used in the selection trials for the Electrum women's and men's curling team.

Lead Peter Stein
The lead in this curling team is Peter Stein. What leads usually do is to throw the first two stones in each end. This is an extremely pivotal role, especially if you are holding the hammer, as these stones are usually guard stones, defending what is to be in the house in the future. As the free-guard zone rule is in effect from the first four stones in an end: i.e. Stones that are left between the hog line (the line where stones are in play) to the line splitting the house in half can not be removed from play until the first four stones are played. Peter Stein was a former hurdler for Electrum, but after being rejected in the try outs, he decided to give curling a crack and has found a competitive streak in curling. Average Percentage: 90%

Second Mark Einarrson
Professional curler by day, professional rockstar at night, Mark Einarrson is a fan of metal and death metal. He has his own band of three called "Mark and Friends," where Mark is the lead singer and also a drummer. People on the street are surprised that such a hardcore person could do as tame as sport as Curling, but he actually started curling since the age of 5, his mum, Jane McCoy is a Curling Umpire in this Olympic Games. As second, he delivers the second pair of stones. As he comes directly after the lead, the free-guard zone rule is not in effect anymore, and therefore must try and remove as many opposing guard stones as possible. He is team-minded and very good at taking directions, especially from Conan and Janus. Average Percentage: 87%

Third Conan Boyle
Conan Boyle is a very silent person, usually keeping to himself. He is wary of the press and paparazzi, and is rarely seen in Electrum. Conan Boyle is reserved, but this makes it excellent for his role in third. He directs his attention and time to the issues that need his attention the most - strategy. As Third, he is by default, vice skip and therefore is second in command in terms of strategy. His role comes from the fact that he slides the third pair of stones (notice the pattern?). He needs to think fast and be very precise on how he curls his stones, as he is setting up for the final curler, the Skip. Not much else is known about Conan Boyle, but those are the basic facts. Average Percentage: 88%

Skip Janus Peters
The skip in curling usually stands near the house and is the one holding their broom out onto it. The position of the broom indicates where the team should aim their curling stone. In this so-called game called 'chess on ice,' the skip is the real mastermind. By placing the broom where he wants it, he indicates the strategic direction the team is to face. Janus Peters started competing in Curling 5 years ago after hearing from a mate about a game where it was basically 'sweeping stones.' Ever since that first taste, he quit his job to become a full-time curler. Janus is a real puzzle lover and is commonly seen around the rink, even in the bar after they win, playing sudoku or filling in crosswords. He is truly a genius at heart and usually chooses the best angles for the team to follow. This is evidenced by the spectacular stones that he slides in Electrum's win against New North Amquland and Vettrera. Average Percentage: 91%

The Opponents
In the Round of 16, Electrum will face Isula ge Ru in this round. Isula ĝe Ru (as it's officially known, but we'll skip the g for this section as it is very expensive to keep printing those hats on the g) is the winner of Group 9, having won all three of their matches. Isula ge Ru defeated Anditia, Renzynistan and Renoa in the group round. They won comfortably in all of their matches, having a points differential of +6. They are no easy feat to defeat. According to their official information on their roster, they are a nation of scholars, though unathletic. This means that their curling team will be very intelligent, but no amount of "hours spent poring over scrolls in high towers" does not prepare one for a winning performance in Curling. In this topsy turvy world, anything can happen with the slightest deviation of angle, the slightest overpush or whatever, it's not over until it's over.

Isula ge Ru is skipped by Siolæsĉigu Marĉi Œssu Saiĝudea, Vice is Siolæsĉigu Ato Maria Gutu Erea, Second is Siolæsĉigu Nicola Danhel Comacu Umora and Lead is Siolæsĉigu Iud Esĉelhu Maria. Let's hope the commentators can pronounce their name in tomorrow's match.

Curling Traditions
Here are some interesting factoids and traditions related to Curling:
*Sportsmanship is the number one priority in Curling. Curlers who inadvertently break the rules usually announce it to the skip of the opposing team. Any breakage of this rule is already considered a huge controversy. In Electrum's match against Kriegiersien, Janus accused their skip of cheating. Although it was unclear, as long as he didn't report it, it probably didn't happen.
*Winning teams usually buy drinks for the losing team in the local bar. Electrum is a country of proud drinkers (remember, in moderation). Therefore it fits in the Electrum tradition of drinking at the end of sporting matches.
*By End 8, if the result is clear then the losing team will probably forfeit the match and call it a day. This is a sign of respect from the losing team's skip acknowledging that an unlikely win/a win through lucky circumstances after being so far down is worse than an actual loss.

[Next page > Baptism of Fire]
Last edited by Electrum on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Nexxus Drako
Envoy

Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nexxus Drako » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:09 am

The Nexxus Drako Age

Olympic Update
Author: Sports Chief Kent Joseph

ARCON, SAUGEAIS: After many days of no-one giving a care in the world about sports (blame lack of competitions), Nexxus Drako's George Harmison participates in Men's Skeleton.

The result? A GOLD MEDAL, which considering George was an amateur prodigy, who runs the short Track & Field events better than he Skeletons (If that's at all possible), it's a wondrous event.

When grilled about a career change by Jnifr Skut, our dracon female Saugeaian correspondent, George said that he'll be doing both, and that his training for 100, 200 and 400 meter running events will start in one months time.

OOC: Expecting a Civil War arc story here? Not today bro.
Tracker | IIWiki
RP Population: ~250 million
Tech: Modern
Species: 58% Human, 42% Dracon
Leader: President Matthew Parker
Capital City: Drako City
KPB Football Rank - 83Rd (10.51)
IBC Basketball Rank: 13th (8.27)
UICA Rank: 63rd (7.629)
FARF Rank: 1st (22.69)
Host: FARF ARCC
Winner: None
Runner-Up: WHS 1
3rd Place: The Yttribian Open 1
4th Place: Beltane Cup 1 & 2
Founder of FARF (Australian Rules)
Like Australian Rules Football? Wanna have your league go for glory on the international stage? Enter the FARF ARCC today!
Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kriegiersien » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:12 am

Ice Hockey

Kriegiersien (KGS) 3–3 Taeshan (TAE) (4–3 OT)

Kriegiersien beats Taeshan in overtime. It wasn't until the 66th minute, that the Kriegiersien team could score the winner. Josef Paula made three goals, but Fedor Nordemann was the Matchwinner, when scoring the decisive 4-3 with a hammer from the blue line.

Opponent in the Quarterfinal is now Valanora. The multiple World Champion and actual title holder, the last times Gold medalist.
"That is now a more then worthy opponent. I want to invite all our fans, our wardrummers and every athlete who has a free time to watch that match and support us", jubilated Coach Herb Tikhonov.

Two fast paced playing teams, fair playing, with few penalties until now, a mix of stars from different clubs against the single, well-practised team from HC Schoenwetter. We can hope for many goals.

Short Track Speed Skating - Women's 1500 m

Doerte Doping made it to the Semis, as second of her heat. After that she had to use her asthma spray cause "my body doesn't tolerate the dust here in Arçon."

Ski jumping - Men's individual large hill final
Hanz Lummerjager won the second Silvermedal for Kriegiersien. After a fantastic first leap, he passed Kelly Roberts and David Gillis in the even better second jump and earned silver behind Mike Lorne, the man from Qazox, the leader after the first jump, who secured his margin from the first round only just.
Lummerjager even did get good notes, despite his telemark was pretty much improvised again.

Lummerjager then threw his ski away, hopped around in the snow and watched out for someone, couldn't find him and shouted "Who is the man now? Who is the f*** best Buyan?"

"I am happy to have won a medal for my new home, Kreigeisen. Here are the best. They didn't wanted to have me in Buyan, that's what they get now. Nothing."
Not asked after rival Markus Karamaki, silver medal winner in the normal hill competition, who ended 40th on the large hill, he added "Markus always had his problems with bigger things."
After that he swaggered away, continuing to look for someone, thereby taking the brief gratulations of his teammate Jean-Francois Arzel and promising "Tonight is party night on my costs".

Arzel, ending 30th, two places ahead of John Christiansen, former countryman from Vaugania, wasn't satisfied, after a terrible second jump costed him a better placement.
"There was a breeze from the side, maybe a godly wind as punishment from god for my sin to leave my country. But I am still better then any of his chosen ones", he said snarky.
"I hope I can show a better performance in the team event. I want a medal there."
Last edited by Kriegiersien on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winner: Championnat du monde de bandy, NS Arena Bowl, Sepak Takraw World Cup I, World Cup of Masters II

Olympic Medals:
VIII Summer Orean: 2-6-10
IX Summer Zube Kytler Bay City: 6-4-15
X Summer Centralis & Nassau Bay 7-5-12
XI Summer Aeropag 0-2-4
XII Summer Novonaya & Provinsk 9-1-7
XIII Summer Republica 13-16-16
XIV Summer Orean/Istria 22-16-18
XV Summer Terranean Coast/Bunjil 18-19-18
XVI Summer Prescott Twin Cities 11-24-25

IX Winter Olympics Arcon: 2-5-3
X Winter Baseton 1-2-2
XI Winter Prescott 3-8-7
XII Winter Prescott 1-4-5
XIII Winter Prescott 4-5-4
XIV Winter Neverend & Yeaddin 6-9-7
XV Winter Clayquot 2-2-8
XVI Winter City Centre 5-4-2
XVII Winter 1-2-1
Overall 113-124-164

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Vulshainian Olympic News Coverage: Winter Olympic Games IX

Vulshain's Athletes Determined to Win, but Doctors Are Concerned

Bonjour everyone! This is Yermolai Vadimaron, reporting live from Arçon in Saugeais, where this year's Winter Olympics are taking place, for Vulshainian Confederate News and Media Network (VCNMN)'s Winter Olympic Games IX Coverage.

Seems Vulshainian athletes can't catch a break. Vulshain's women's hockey team lost their match to Nassau-Hessen after a fierce game, although many are calling foul as Nassau-Hessen scored the only point of the game just as the match ended. Officials watched instant replays several times and it seems that Nassau-Hessen did win, but barely as one official, who wished to remain anonymous, stated that if the shot had been any slower, the game would have gone into overtime. So, it seems that Vulshain lost this year's Ice Hockey matches without a medal.

However, Vulshain's athletes are refusing to back down as I couldn't get an interview with them today as they are training constantly, and pushing themselves to the limit. Some doctors are concerned as they are worried that the athletes are pushing themselves too far. "That's the problem when you have such determined athletes: they are bound to get themselves hurt or killed!" Dr. Louis Alexson is deeply worried as he had to make several athletes take breaks as several of Vulshain's skiers almost passed out from exhaustion. "This is not going to end well," he added as he ran off to make sure.

And the Reinhilde sisters are determined to win next year as well as several medals in this year's Summer Olympics. "This isn't the last you've seen of us," both sisters told me when I interviewed them. "We're not going to let our friends, families, fans, and nation down!"

As doctors try to keep the Vulshainian athletes from overtraining themselves, you can be sure that the athletes are focused on making us all proud.

This has been Yermolai Vadimaron, reporting live from Arçon in the Republic of Saugeais, for Vulshainian Confederate News and Media Network (VCNMN)'s Winter Olympic Games IX Coverage, and wishing our athletes good luck out there! Au revoir et à demain!

Britonisea
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2012

Britannual News

Postby Britonisea » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Britannual News: V'Olympishe

The Olympic dreams are over!

Place: Arçon, Saugeais

As our hopes ran high, our medals went low! It is the end of Britonisea's run to get a gold, silver or a bronze medal. We did not get a medal. We had 6 athletes and none of them ended in the top 10. Let us check up on The Mens Skeleton. Runs 3 and 4.

22 Loen Max (BRI)                                           52.92  52.76  52.93  52.65  3:31.26
63 Ogunnasi Quince (BRI) 53.41 52.83 53.57 52.89 3:32.70
64 Arthur Lewis (BRI) 52.84 52.86 54.03 53.02 3:32.75

Leon Max- He will be the only man, that does skeleton, to receive more than £20,000 britos. He has jumped 6 places from 2 days ago. He is Britonisea's #1 Mens Skeleton player and He is 22nd in the Winter Olympic World for this year. Leon Max is to receive a minimum £40,000 britos says sources...

Ogunnasi Quince- This boy has jumped 3 places. Although he will not be getting the big £40,000 britos, He is bound to get £10-15,000 britos. He has done very well and we are happy that he has taken part in The Olympics!

Arthur Lewis- Arthur Lewis has disappointed the BAC the most dropping 35 places in just one day. He will not be taking part in any more skeleton championships for at least a year. He needs to practice some more because I do not know where he is skating off to. Going in 64th place. Who does he think he is? Anyway. This is maybe our last report for The Winter Olympics.

On average, The women came 60th.
On average, The Men came 36th.

Thanks for reading our news articles...
Rexubliqué Univexserellué de Brityunik #BRI
Follow Britonish Television on Twitter: TVBBritonisea
WorldVision Top 9 | WorldVision Factbook
1st - 162 points - WV112 (314 J+T)
1st - 154 points - WV81
1st - 139 points - WV47
1st - 138 points - WV99 (258 J+T)
1st - 134 points - WV87 (242 J+T)
1st - 132 points - WV73
1st - 117 points - WV64
1st - 113 points - WV41
1st - 98 points - WV63

World Hit Festival Top 9 | World Hit Festival Factbook
1st - 51 points - WHF50
1st - 42 points - WHF59
1st - 38 points - WHF52
1st - 34 points - WHF42
1st - 34 points - WHF48
1st - 33 points - WHF68
1st - 28 points - WHF46
1st - 28 points - WHF37
1st - 20 points - WHF26

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:36 pm

"...against my better judgment, I'm back for the last day of skeleton racing. Kathy, can you give us a preview of what to expect?"

"I certainly can!"

"I'd rather you didn't, but, uh, take it away. Far, far away from this broadcast booth if at all possible."

"Right. Olliver Wright leads after the first two rounds, with George Hannison--"

"Harmison--"

"--him too, rocking out in second place, a tenth of a second out of first. Four other competitors have already been eliminated, leaving a gross field behind."

"They're not that bad."

"There's a hundred and forty-four of them."

"Ah, yes."

"The first of today's competitors will be Father Sebastian the Certifiably Mad."

"That's a bit harsh. Just because he's taken monastic--"

"That is his name."

"Ah. In that case."

"It is a pretty ridiculous event, I'll grant you that..."

"...and that'll bring up Jaek, from Bears Armed."

"Just Jaek. He can't tell you his last name."

"I don't think he has one."

"Or where he lives."

"He's from Bears Armed, are you trying to--"

"They're not just bears! It could be a clever disguise."

"Are you...never mind."

"Maybe he's a bear turned into an otter."

"Maybe you're insane..."

"...which'll bring up Loen Max. Distantly related to the Minimax clan--"

"Wrong country."

"Distantly related to some risk-taking loan sharks from São Jorge--"

"Nope."

"Distantly related to actual sharks--"

"Actually part of the Britonisea delegation. I have to say, they may be their own greatest rivals--it's really just you against yourself here, you and the clock, and never has that been more personally true for this country."

"Hmm. Well, onto Mikkel Rudefflin. Returning from the previous Olympics, the Slogda native hopes to improve on his positioning last time and crack the top fifty--"

"Don't make stuff up."

"That's actually true."

"...so it is. Well. Only eighteen-hundredths of a second off of Olliver Wright last time! Rudefflin must be hoping to pull himself into contention once again..."

"...bringing us to Air Force SuperAdmiral Brussles Sprouts Johnson."

"Now, for those of you keeping score at home, firstly, you really need to get a life, secondly, an "air force" is a part of some foreign militaries that involves flying around in airplanes and killing people."

"I think they have spaceships and cool stuff too, Cynthia."

"That involves having spaceships to show off as a cover for how productive and not-evil you are, then luring in impressionable youths in under false premises."

"But a SuperAdmiral is a type of boat military guy, so perhaps Cynthia is being a bit hasty in her judgments."

"I'm not. Are you going to tell us what Brussles Sprouts are?"

"What?"

"Anyone desperate enough to be keeping score at home probably needs the insight..."

"...Turandot da Vinci, simply a genius, virtuoso performance--"

"52.93? He's not that good."

"Better than what the last few managed! Gray couldn't even finish correctly!"

"All the same..."

"...Walter White of Niebo, competing alongside his compatriot Aaron Paul, and those teammates have come under fire for their behavior in the Olympic village--"

"No they haven't, Kathy."

"Yes they have, they almost got disqualified!"

"You're making things up again."

"But the officials decided that technically, there was nothing performance-enhancing going on, so they could stick around..."

"...so a little backsliding from Gim Gimster."

"Got to hand it to him, though, he's making some avant-garde choices with his equipment, but they work for him! It's all about the physics, man."

"And this'll bring us to...Arthur Lewis. Of Britonisea. Have we gone around to the second time yet?"

"Not yet, Kathy, though no one regrets that more than me..."

"...And this'll bring us to Tom Stoddard. Do you think he can reach the podium?"

"Do I look like I care?"

"How did you become an announcer?"

"How did you?"

"Is that relevant?"

"Is he on form?"

"Is he on a bobsled?"

"As opposed to?"

"Could he have a wok?"

"Could he have...walked up to the top of the course?"

"How else does he get there?"

"Is there a ski lift?"

"Why would there be a ski lift at the skeleton track?"

"Have you watched any of this?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"Are you an announcer or what?!"

"...this is getting a little absurd."

"Almost halfway through today's skeleton, everyone. Don't worry, at the halfway point we'll take a break and check out the Super-G...I'm excited to see Cosette Fantin challenge for a medal, she sounds promising..."
Last edited by Zwangzug on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Renzynistan
Envoy

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Renzynistan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:56 pm

The Salevik Inquirer

Prince arrive in Arcon
Their Majesties visit Renzynistanian delegation

ARCON, SAUGEAIS 5:36 AM-- In an attempt to boost the team's morale, Prince Reynaldo and Princess Gloria flew to Arcon to support the Renzynistanian delegation.

The royal couple arrived in the city yesterday at 12;30 pm, local time aboard Eagle 01, the official aircraft of the head of state of Renzynistan. The prince, in an earlier interview said that "heavy support" is needed in order for the athletes to win a medal. Currently, the country is slowly sliding down at the medal table. However, the country has won 1 gold in luge, and 2 medals, silver and bronze respectively, were won in the Women's Moguls.

At the airport, the couple also expressed their intention to visit the beautiful sights around Arcon. "Arcon is really a good place" said Princess Gloria.

Jimmy Gravitt, who finished 7th in the Men's Figure Skating, said that "It may serve as an inspiration to my compatriots and athletes to perform well". His partner in Ice dancing, also said that "It is an honor that the former royal couple flew here to give us moral support.

It can be remembered that the Prince, then King, abdicated the throne in favor of his son, then crown prince and now King Gaston. His abdication was received sadly in the country. This may be because the Prince was the longest serving monarch of the country having reigned for almost 50 years.

The former royal couple also expressed their support in sports, culture and the arts. Stating that there should be more funding especially in the facilities back home. The royals had been a heavy critic of the ROC while its chairman, Igor Coherto stating that "they are doing everything" for the Parliament to pass a new law to increase budget for the committee.

Sad as it may seem, the facilities in the country are in a sorry state. Despite that the country is one of the most developed nations in the region however, the sports industry is given little attention. However, the athletes still trained hard but some of them trained on foreign soil that's why some nationalists criticized the ROC for sending athletes who came from "those foreign lands" to compete. However, this was not the only basis, the athletes also competed nationally and won which also won them the right to compete in the olympics. "It's not only based about that" comments Coherto. "I also support the increase in funding for the sport industry" he adds.

At current, there is a bill that is being read in the Parliament to increase funding for sports in the country. We are yet to be updated about its current standing.
THE KINGDOM OF RENZYNISTAN

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Darmen » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Olympic Coverage: Days 5 through 8

Alpine Skiing
In the Men's Super Combined, Beau Peláez took 49th place, while Baldwin Vicario finished not too far behind in 55th. Varlaam van Haanraats finished 74th, not even coming close to repeating his silver medal performance in Orean.

Biathlon
In the Men's Individual 20km, Darmen was plagued by poor shooting. Brandon Guarino was the highest Darmeni finisher at 42nd, finishing over four and a half minutes behind winner Jeffrey Stevens. Marvin Dominquez took 62nd place, while Sean Linares finished 94th. Neoptolemos Yong finished in an extremely disapointing 107th place.

Cross-Country Skiing
Shocking results occurred in the Men's 15km Freestyle, as it was Walter Rodman, not Donald Ackley, who finished in the Top 10. Rodman finished 8th, with a time of 34:28.5, while Ackley finished in 44th with a time of 35:02.5. While its still unclear just why Ackley finished as low as he did, many suspect that his Silver medal performance in the Sprint led to fatigue.

Curling
Paul Tacey and the rest of the Darmeni rink put the hurt on Lizardtopia, with a 10-5 victory on Matchday Four. Darmen defeated Dangelia in its final match, 9-6, to claim the Group Ten title. Darmen will play Unolia in the Round of Sixteen.

The Women's team meanwhile failed to qualify for the Round of Sixteen, losing to Valanora 10-11 on Matchday Four. That loss made the match against Maineiacs meaningless, except for the consolation prize of not finishing last in the Group. Darmen did win that match however, 9-6.

Ice Hockey
The Men's National Team lost their final game of the competition, 2-4 against Northern Sunrise Islands. Trent Gaborik scored both goals for Darmen, while Goalkeeper Peter Roloson was replaced by Dan Kochan after the second period. Darmen finished second in Group Three, with only Kriegiersien having a better record. Major changes are in store for the team heading into the next World Cup of Hockey, as the lack of production lately by the team is causing concern among the coaches and DIHF officials.

Luge
Russell Billups and Eugene Galicia finished eighth in the Men's Doubles, missing out on a bronze medal by only a tenth of a second. The other Darmeni pair involved in the event, that of Michael Jaworski and Mark Hallmark, finished 41st.

In the team relay, Russell Billups, Ríoghnach Eustis and the doubles team of Michael Jaworski and Mark Hallmark, finished in 30th place, saved from dead last only by the Kelssekian team's inability to finish.

Nordic Combined
Rodney Evenson took the silver medal for Darmen in the Men's Normal Hill/10km. Evenson had a jump worth 121 points to kick things off, and easily overcame the 38 second head start that Rene Breithaupt, the leader after the jumping portion, had on Evenson. Evenson had a time of 21:11.8, as he and eventual gold medal winner, Gilles Lefebvre, destroyed the rest of the field. Ryan Guyton finished eleventh, Brandon Wetmore 32nd and Nicholas Knepper finished last among the Darmenis in 77th.

Short-track Speed Skating
The Darmeni relay team of Steve Applegate, Victor Summer, Jason Napoli and Bobby Wages finished third in their Preliminary Heat, three seconds behind Kelssek. In the Individual 1000m, Bobby Wages finished fourth in his preliminary heat. Howard Eberle not only finished with a better time than Wages, but was able to finish third in his heat. William Moyers took fourth in his heat, meaning that no Darmeni skaters advanced.

Skeleton
After the first two runs, William Barney held 22nd place, while Roy Bankston was 45th. Douglas Ivey was 122nd. When all four runs were finished, Barney had fallen to 25th, Bankston had fallen to 55th and Ivey had risen to 97th. Kinda sounds like the stock market.

Ski Jumping
In the Men's Individual Large Hill Qualification Jumps, Carl Spates was the lone Darmeni qualifier, squeaking in at 46th place. Howard Cahoon was 72nd, Kevin Jaquez 81st and Harry Harder 89th.

They normally say that no one remembers who finishes second. Sometimes its third, but in the case of the Olympics, its fourth. And that's exactly where Carl Spates finished, narrowly missing out on Darmen's fourth medal of these games. Spates was .4 points behind Bronze medal winner David Gillis.

Speed Skating
Cornelio Lee has cemented his status as Darmen's best skater in the shorter distances. Lee finished sixth in the 1000m with a time of 1:09.49 and sixth in the 1500m, with a time of 1:45.79. The other results in the 1000m included Paramonos Apostolov finishing 44th, Fermín Wawrzaszek in 88th and Vespasianus Blackwood in 114th. Wawrzaszek took 70th in the 1500m, while Blackwood was 102nd and Apostolov was 117th.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Postby Kriegiersien » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Dr. Hubertus Schimmel was shocked. His friend and Vice Richard had told him Janus Peters, the Skip of Elektrum, had silently and devious accused him of cheating. He had always held integrity high and was proud that he had never cheated anywhere. He didn't even like the thought of it. As chessplayer that was hard anyway and he didn't even know that was possible in Curling. He remembered the courses provided from the Kriegiersien NOC for some sports before the journey to the Olympics began, with names like "How to take advantage" and "Tricks and Tips - Trick or treat", but there were none for Curling. And he wouldn't have taken such a lesson.

He wasn't a big fan of Kriegiersien, the Nation that had occupied his country long ago, beeing a military, brutal regime full of windbags. He had thought about going to Zombiestan, but then....maybe that was his only mistake, he had been seduced by the chance to take part at the Olympics and when they offered him a place in the Curling team, he accepted. He just wanted to see Saugeais, breathe in the Olympic atmosphere, meet some interesting people and beat them in Curling.

And now this. Cheating? He couldn't remember breaking any rule. And why hadn't the Electrum skip told him directly or when they met for the drink afterwards?
He remembered that Peters had tripped and spilled a cocktail over him, but he believed at that time in an accident.
Retrospectively, comments like "it''ll need some time to wash that shame away" and "at least, no one cheated", were more then ambivalent.

A sad Schimmel, brooding about what could have gone wrong.

In the end he decided to grab some liquors and ask Peters directly about it.
Last edited by Kriegiersien on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winner: Championnat du monde de bandy, NS Arena Bowl, Sepak Takraw World Cup I, World Cup of Masters II

Olympic Medals:
XI Summer Aeropag 0-2-4

X Winter Baseton 1-2-2
XI Winter Prescott 3-8-7
XV Winter Clayquot 2-2-8
XVII Winter 1-2-1
Overall 113-124-164

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Curling FAIL: Buell just doesn't have the stones
Shames entire country with his cowardice

In all my years as curling correspondent for PWND, I have yet to see as sorry as sight as Ross Buell's showing as skip in Arçon. It was a truly shocking thing to see someone representing this country display so profoundly shame this country's proud curling tradition with their utter lack of testicular fortitude. This is dark day for curling in Kelssek and surely one that must make us question if we can really send someone to the Olympics simply because they won the national championship.

No, this was men's curling, but Buell showed he was no man, but a scared little baby who should never have been allowed to represent this country. We are now disgraced beyond redemption by this so-called man's craven outing in which he led, or rather shall we say feared to lead, the supposedly best rink in the land to utter defeat. Defeat itself is not the issue. No, it would have been a proud set of defeats if we could at least hold our heads high and say we fought bravely and lost. We can't do that, because Ross Buell is a disgusting coward who ought to never leave his house again.

In fact I will personally punch him in the face if I ever see him on the street, knowing he will simply crouch into a fetal position on the sidewalk, desperately protecting his vital organs and praying that his assailant will leave him be.

How else can one characterize his hapless shot-making, the ludicrous throwing of hack weight, the botched take-outs, the repeated setting of pointless corner guards, stone after stone simply put on the button with a ridiculous lack of imagination or planning, even when they had the hammer?

In extra ends against Rovegia, with a chance to finally redeem himself with a win, Buell simply capitulated. Even as he yelled to the sweepers to direct the stone, one could gaze into his eyes to see how fragile that front was. In those eyes, gloriously broadcast live in high definition on television or through the KBC's handy apps for portable devices, you could see the true nature of the rink's failure. One could gaze into Buell's soul and see that in fact he is a shell of a man, beset by doubts and insecurities. One could almost pity him when the opposing skip called "die" and Buell visibly flinched.

Curling demands more than just the ability to put rocks down the ice. This ancient game is a true test of the human spirit, where those with mettle and inner steel prevail. The circumstances of the Brier at which Buell won the right to represent Kelssek at the Olympic bonspiel may have been unusual, and one certainly cannot blame the organizers for it - there has been universal agreement from experts that it is extremely unusual for hamsters to behave in such a way.

Let us simply hope that future champions understand the magnitude of the task they take on when they represent Kelssek and work in the following years to expunge this stain upon our pride.

Benjamin Mark
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2012

Postby Benjamin Mark » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Zhang - Good Evening, I'm Jessica Zhang

Kelly - Good Evening, I'm Josh Kelly, let's go to our Olympic Update with Angie Cameron.

Cameron - I saw terrible performances from our athletes today in Arcon, Corine Tremanagazalu & Alexis Reyes placed 48th & 49th in the
Alpine skiing - Women's Super G final, in the cross-country skiing relay, Jessica Seymour/Jennifer Valenti-Gonzales/Alexis Reyes/Corine Tremangazalu placed 20th. Bryce Stiporchik placed 4th in the Men's Speed Skating 1000m semi-final and did not make on to the final. In Men's Skeleton, Evan Buillord placed 50th & Stephen Goss placed 54th. Eric Stone placed 36th in the Men's Individual Large Hill Final. In Men's Speed Skating, Mohammed al-Virata placed 78th and Trevon Williams placed 93rd. Today Events are...

Alpine Skiing - Men's Super G final
Biathlon - Men's 15km mass start final
Bobsleigh - Men's Two-man runs 1 and 2
Curling - Second Round
Cross-country skiing - Men's 4 x 10 km relay final
Figure Skating - Ice dancing short program
Snowboarding - Men's snowboard cross qualification
Snowboarding - Women's snowboard cross qualification
Speed Skating - Women's 1500 m final

Cameron - Reporting live in Arcon, Angie Cameron, BMNS News.

Saugeais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:02 pm

And now, it's time to begin the second half of the Olympics!

Day 9 RP uctoff.
The Republic of Saugeais : newswire
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65
Co-host, World Cup 60 | Co-host, 47th Cup of Harmony | Co-host, Baptism of Fire 50
Hosted: 9th Winter Olympics, Copa Rushmori XV,
19th Rugby Union World Cup, Di Bradini Cup 27
Copa Rushmori VII, World Baseball Classic 21,
9th Rugby League World Cup, Market Cup 3
1st Place: Copa Rushmori 16, Cup of Harmony 58, NSCAA 4
2nd Place: World Baseball Classic 19 & 22, Gaelic Football WC 4,
Di Bradini Cup 23, CoH 54, T20 Cricket Championships 3, Rugby LWC 14
3rd Place: Copa Rushmori 5, 14, 15 & 17, Market Cup 3, RLWC 10
4th Place: DBC 15, WBC 24

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:44 am

Janus Peters was drinking in a bar with his teammates after their win over Isula ge Ru. It had been a triumph all right. Mainly because they sat there while Electrum steamrolled them 11-5. They were still in the gaudy uniform - yellow and silver stripe pants and checkerboard tops. They were however, not the distinctive feature in the bar as this bar was the one opposite the Arçon Curling Center -- where Curlers hung out throughout the day, and late at night celebrating their wins and losses.

Electrum defeats 11-5 to advance to the quarterfinals, will they break their hoodoo? - ECP
SAUGEAIS - Compared to Electrum's excellent perfomance over New North Amquland in the group stage, their 11–5 victory against Isula ge Ru was easily won. It seemed like Isula ge Ru had just run out of steam in this Round of 16 match after winning all of their matches in their group stage. Although Isula ge Ru got burnt out, that is not to say that Electrum performed poorly, in fact they exploited Isula ge Ru's week strategy in the first four ends, with Electrum racing up to a 8-4 lead. By then it was all over for Isula ge Ru's hopes for getting a medal after their poor start, having to concede at the first possible chance, at the conclusion of End 8.

Particularly to blame for Isula ge Ru's loss was Skip Siolæsĉigu Marĉi Œssu Saiĝudea's poor sliding ability. As skip, it was paramount that he got his stones spot on to where he wanted it to be. It was not to be however, a far cry from the group stage, he could not quite hold it together, unable to control where his stones went. Although losing comfortably to Electrum, Skip Siolæsĉigu shook hands with Janus Peters and called it a day. They have been spotted in a bar talking to each other quite a lot, and maybe even a new friendship might be on the cards for them.

Nonetheless Electrum needs to remain focused for the next round, the quarterfinals where they face Darmen, a team on the rebound. Darmen, a far cry from their inexperienced selves last year (where they came 5th in their group) reached the quarters by defeating Lizardtopia, Carialus and Dangelia in their group, then going on to defeat Unolia in their Round of 16 in a close encounter, 9-10. It will be a battle of two titans looking for legitimacy in the global curling stage - will Electrum break their voodoo of losing in the quarterfinals - as they lost to Sicoutimont last year? The outcome will be revealed tomorrow, live on Network ENN. The winner will face the the winner of Archregimancy and The Licentian Isles, a match that the Archregimancy is favoured to win by Electrum bookmakers. If both Electrum and Archregimancy advance, it will surely be an interesting match after 2nd Mark Einarrson said on the weekend: "Archregimancy is a joke team. What with their Father Vasily constantly making stupid press releases or whatever. What type of team trains on church floors?"

Isula ge Ru had just left the bar to go back to the Olympic Village when Dr. Hubertus Schimmel walked face to face with Janus Peters. Janus knew exactly what he wanted and not wanting to talk, turned around and walked away.

"Wait," said Schimmel. "I want to talk about that match a few days ago." Janus turned around. "You know what you did, there's no use denying it. We saw you on camera, just because the curling umpires are too damn stupid - no offense to your mum, Mark - to notice anything. We won anyways so who cares?"

Schimmel looked like he was going to cry. There were too many thoughts rushing into his brain at the moment, and he needed the time to process them. "Why didn't you tell me when we went for a drink after? All I remember you doing is spilling a drink on me and acting like a child. All I wanted was to be in the Olympics, breathe the fresh Saugeain air, and run away from the disaster that had befallen my former country. I don't even know how to cheat!" What ensued afterwards was a lengthy discussion between skip-to-skip, heart-to-heart. Janus empathised for the bad luck that had befallen Dr. Hubertus in the past few years including having his homeland invaded and being repressed by an authoritarian regime.

"I'll tell you what," said Janus. "I have some contacts for the Department of Immigration who are good friends of mine. Do you want to-- you know? Defect countries? Join a real democracy with elections? They can immediately issue you a protection visa for you, your family and your teammates if they want to." Dr. Hubertus Schimmel stood there and said.....
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:26 am

From MSPN--

More disappointment for Maineiacs, as even our former medal winners fall by the wayside.

Alpine Skiing--

Lodi Davenport was 77th in the Men's Super Combined. Theresa Miller was 43rd in Women's Super-G. Davenport was 46th in Men's Super-G while Harry Harper was 65th.

Biathlon--

Margrethe Olssen 81st in Women's 15k Individual, while Olaf Larsson was 104th for the men. Devin Edwards was 61st in Men's 15k Mass Start.

Curling--

Neither team will advance past the Round Robin. Our Men's team lost to Quebecois Commonwealth 10-5, the women lost to Darmen 9-6.

Freestyle Skiing--

In Women's Aerials, former medalist Allison Compton was 61st and did not quailify.

Skeleton--

Terri Lawrence was 58th in the Women's competition, while Frank Becker was 76th in the Men's competition.

Nordic Skiing--

In the Men's Individual Large Hill Ski Jumping, Anders Stimson was 67th and James Jensen was 74th. Neither man quailified. Our Women's relay team was 22nd in the 4x5k Relay. Our Men's team was 32nd in the 4x10k Relay.

Hockey--

Our Men's team beat Yulis 2-1. they will play Nation of FSM in the quarterfinals. Our Women were eliminated after losing 2-0 to Anarchist States of America.

Speed Skating--

Claudia Steiner was 7th in her qualifying heat in Women's 1500m. In long track, Miguel Fuentes was 84th and Skeet Shorter was 97th in Men's 1500m. Cara Taylor was 53rd in Women's 1500m.

Bobsleigh--

In the 2-Man bob, James Laughton and Mike Riley in MAI 1 are 25th after two runs. Lee Armstrong and Kevin Herbert in MAI 2 are 74th.

Figure Skating--

Warren and Sophia Kelleher are 7th after the short program, with an outside chance to medal. Evan Pogdar and Shawna Vickers were 37th.

Snowboarding--

Sean Gould was the latest former medalist to falter, as he went off the course in Men's Snowboard Cross. Peggy Martin was 60th for the women.
Last edited by Maineiacs on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Renzynistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renzynistan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:00 am

The Salevik Inquirer

Severe snow storm hits the country's capital
Salevik plunges into severe cold
by: Jeenna Yulia-Vega

SALEVIK, RENZYNISTAN-- Good evening folks! With the 9th Winter Olympics in full swing today in Arcon, Saugeais, you can literally feel the cold especially in here. Literally.

The City of Salevik, the country's capital, as well as its neighboring cities Ruvskova and Topilo are under severe cold as several snow storms roll off in the greater Cordilleran Region. Whilst bringing snow, sleet, rain, and a little bit of hail.

City officials have issued several warning to people to stay indoors until further notice. Police have also taken it to social networking sites as to issue warnings about the storm. Travelers are also reminded to reschedule their travels as many hi-ways around the city are experiencing heavy traffic due to the storm.

At the Salevik International Airport, more than 300 flights to and from the capital have been cancelled affecting more then 15,000 passengers. Earlier, the airport had already cancelled 150 flights with more than 35 flights delayed. Mimi Lani, the airport's manager said that the storm quickly affected the "country's backbone of the transportation industry" due to the cancellation of most flights.

Classes have been suspended in the elementary and secondary levels while classes in different universities in the city has yet to announce its suspension. In the University of Renzynistan, classes are still in full-swing.

Temperatures are still expected to plummet up to 10 degrees below freezing overnight into Thursday evening up to early Friday thus the Renzynistan Weather Bureau has also issued several warnings for the public.

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008

Postby Liventia » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:54 am

LIVENTIA OLYMPIC ASSOCIATION
URGENT BRIEFING
DOCUMENT SECURITY: UNRESTRICTED IMPORTANT. ACCESS ALL.

To all athletes and officials:
Liventia has, as of today, adopted a new civil (national) flag. For the first time in the country's long history, the main colour of the flag will not be a shade of blue; it is red. The 'old flag' will retain national flag status as the State Flag, to be flown from all government buildings and at state events, but will no longer be considered Liventia's "official" national flag. When celebrating victories, athletes are encouraged to use the new civil flag, although it is permissible to use the State Flag.

Athletes and officials, effective today, should compete under the new civil flag. The LOA has requested that the State Flag, which is currently hoisted at all event venues and in the athlete's village, be lowered and replaced with the new civil flag immediately.

To all broadcast and print media (includes foreign broadcasters and press):
Where you are able to, please replace the Liventian State Flag (old national flag) in your broadcasts and publications with the new national flag. If for some reason a vertical version of the flag is used, please refer to Annex A, which shows the proper flag protocol for displaying a Liventian flag vertically.

Annex A
National flag of Liventia (displayed or flown vertically)
State Flag
National flag of Liventia (displayed or flown horizontally)
Слава Україні!

Saugeais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am

On Presidential plane, over Riverside, Afternoon

"....And that concludes the proposed speech about why the SOC has absolutely no idea why Ancharmunn protests the exclusion of their curling teams, teams that never entered, but their media outlets claim to be wrongfully removed from the Games. What do you think, M. Bouvier?"

"I think it could use a little work, and it's already better than that daft Kriegiersien speech about us not taking part in their silly little conflict, but I'm sure it'll be fine before the press conference tonight. When do we touch down in Arçon?"

"In about an hour, monsieur President."

"Good, albeit a little late, since the conflict is all but over. This urgent trip back to the capital was a little tedious, but nonetheless important. Need to get all the facts straight before stepping up to the podium, lest I look like a fool. Isn't that right, M. Martinique?"

François Martinique shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "Yes, well, I've already had several rewrites of the Closing Ceremonies cross my desk, so as to avoid to media disaster that was the Opening, and some of the proposed changes look very good. I'd expect the audience will be in for a more substantial, well-rehearsed presentation then what was given opening night."

"Glad to hear that. There have been some strange requests made by various nations this Olympics. Rice by the truckload for Hazamaeia, a last minute entry change due to gender swapping for Electrum, Vilitan Union athletes asking if a uniform swap is legal. Of course there were some technical issues regarding glitchy leaderboards, posting athletes at two separate times, but that was quickly fixed. And contrary to opposing media, at least the snow has been falling at a steady pace; no need for us to ship it in from up north as many other nations have been reporting.

And on the medal front, I'm finally glad to see Saugeais on the table. They haven't disappointed much over the last few days. 7 medals, 2 of them gold, that's a decent haul halfway through the competition. And look at my guys, the men's hockey team, they are still going strong with their advancement to the quarterfinals. The populous hasn't been any happier to see them continue to advance. Of course, I expected more from the other Saugeain competitors, but with M. Martinique over here allowing a record number of nations participating, it's to be expected that the medals will have a more even distribution. We're not saying that's your fault, chairman. In fact we're glad to be on this side of history. Saugeais' name will be in the record books for a long time as 'most attended Winter Olympics.' Let's just hope a strong finish will cement the Saugeain legacy in these Games."

"True, monsieur President. Oh did you arrange to meet with the Renzynistan prince and princess? Maybe our nations could form some sort of trade or sporting agreement with each other."

"Not yet, M. Martinique, though I think accompanying them around and introducing them to Arçon would open up that opportunity."

"Well, good luck in that endeavor. If anyone care work something out, it's you. I mean, that's why you were elected president and all.

Oh sir, look at this that just came across the wire. Liventia has apparently changed their national flag, and are requesting that said flag be flown over Arrowpoint Place, as well as during their medal presentations."

"Well, it would've been nice of them to ship some of those flags over in the first place. I'll be on the phone with them at once to let them know we'll comply, but we have no means to at current. Hopefully they'll be sending a shipment tonight so we can have this sorted out in the next few days." Thomas Bouvier signals for his assistant. "Please contact the Liventian consulate and relay that message."

".......Right away sir. We'll be touching down in a half hour, sir. Might as well get on with finishing that speech after I make the call."
Last edited by Saugeais on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65
Co-host, World Cup 60 | Co-host, 47th Cup of Harmony | Co-host, Baptism of Fire 50

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Postby Kriegiersien » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 am

Isula ge Ru had just left the bar to go back to the Olympic Village when Dr. Hubertus Schimmel walked face to face with Janus Peters. Janus knew exactly what he wanted and not wanting to talk, turned around and walked away.

"Wait," said Schimmel. "I want to talk about that match a few days ago." Janus turned around. "You know what you did, there's no use denying it. We saw you on camera, just because the curling umpires are too damn stupid - no offense to your mum, Mark - to notice anything. We won anyways so who cares?"

Schimmel looked like he was going to cry. There were too many thoughts rushing into his brain at the moment, and he needed the time to process them. "Why didn't you tell me when we went for a drink after? All I remember you doing is spilling a drink on me and acting like a child. All I wanted was to be in the Olympics, breathe the fresh Saugeain air, and run away from the disaster that had befallen my former country. I don't even know how to cheat!" What ensued afterwards was a lengthy discussion between skip-to-skip, heart-to-heart. Janus empathised for the bad luck that had befallen Dr. Hubertus in the past few years including having his homeland invaded and being repressed by an authoritarian regime.

"I'll tell you what," said Janus. "I have some contacts for the Department of Immigration who are good friends of mine. Do you want to-- you know? Defect countries? Join a real democracy with elections? They can immediately issue you a protection visa for you, your family and your teammates if they want to." Dr. Hubertus Schimmel stood there and said.....

"I...I...think I'll ... have something", Hubertus said, put the whiskey on the table, offered it Janus and ordered a glas and a cocktail.

"Defecting?", Hubertus thought.

"Of couse it hasn't to be Electrum. But a country were you could life free, there are others. Albeit I can only suggest my fine home."
Leaving forever? That wasn't so easy. The Kriegiersien regime wasn't too oppressive. Beside the army days and lasting fear of being conscripted again. And the wars from time to time. Then again it had gotten better. Beside the Zombiecalypse and last Civil War, that hadn't affected his home that much (also 7 Erdbären had been killed in missions against the SPOCK). But you could live in Kriegiersien very comfortable, as long as you didn't plotted against the regime.
Then again he remembered his two bodyguards when he had played at the Chess World Championships in Pinehearth. They were watching him close. Not only protecting but also annoying. Maybe it would be good to change something.... he suddenly noticed that Janus was talking to him.

"And didn't you hear me cursing over the ice?"
"I'm sorry? What did I do wrong?"
"You put debris under the last stone, in the eighth end."
"Where? Oh. In the game? Why should someone do that on purpose? To slow down the stone? Hm...that makes sense...but no, I just wanted to clean it, after Richard gave it to me, my Vice, you see and...oh..oh my god...I would have never thougth that of him."
"You are in a team of crooks. It is practicly on your CV. And why didn't you react on my shouting?"
"Oh, I didn't understood what you yelled. You shouted all the time. I thougth that was another instruction, cheering or some tradition. I never really got that with this sport."
"You are not playing Curling very long?"
"7 Months?"
Not bad. And he was really a rather silent type on the ice, not shouting once. Maybe the story was really true.
"So, what about a change in life?"
"Leaving my home? Maybe forever? I have no family to leave and only a few friends there, many are from other countries anyway...but I don't know if the Kriegiersiens would really let me go."
But they wouldn't start a war because of such a thing. Not because of him? Or would they?
"Let me sleep about it and talk about something else. Do you play chess?"
Last edited by Kriegiersien on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Olympic Medals:
XI Summer Aeropag 0-2-4

X Winter Baseton 1-2-2
XI Winter Prescott 3-8-7
XV Winter Clayquot 2-2-8
XVII Winter 1-2-1
Overall 113-124-164

The Archregimancy
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 am

A STATEMENT FROM THE MONASTIC OLYMPIC COMMITTEE MEDIA SPOKESMAN

I, Fr. Vasily, am wishing to make a statement:

You is probably wondering why I am being silent for five days now.

Is because I am being outraged.

No, no, is not being outrage that Fr. Sophronius the Pleasant is finishing in the one hundred and first position in the 1500 speedskating final.

Is not even being that Fr. Sebastian the Certifiably Mad is finishing in one hundred and thirty eighth place in the skeleton bobbing; this is result, to be frank, that we were expecting.

Nor is it being news that Fr. Theodore the Flyer is finishing in one hundred and sixth placing in large hill ski jumping.

These are all results that we are doing the expecting of. They are being fine signs of monastic humility, which is being important monastic virtue that is explaining why many monastic athletes are not wishing to be doing the finishing of higher than one hundredth place.

No, reason for outrage is that curling team - which is team we are actually wanting to be seeing doing the winning - is being drawn against Licentious Isles in the quarterfinalings of tournament.

Is it being fair, I am asking you, that team of God-fearing Orthodox monks is being drawn against team that is doing the personification of the licentious sexy time, or is it being part of the vast anti-Orthodox conspiracy?

I am thinking conspiracy, no?

Is likely that whole quarterfinal will consist of team from Licentious Isles making the sexy time in order to distract God-fearing monks who have been doing the rejecting of sins of the world in order to be doing the embracing of life of total prayer.

I am asking that Olympic organisers are being careful that team from Licentious Isles are not doing the breaking of rules of "PG-13" for the television live coverage.

Will no one be doing the thinking of the children?

What is it meaning that millions and millions of the innocent baby-faced children are being exposed to naughtiness of Licentious Isles?

Is outrage that this type of behaviour the hosts and Olympic committee are doing the condoning of.

Valanora
Senator

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valanora » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 am

Valanora Times
The Taste of Silver

Silver, it is considered a very precious metal in Valanora, valued far more than gold is in the commonwealth. May it be because that is what the currency is used or may be that is very plentiful in the mountains along the eastern portions of the old borders, but it considered a very precious and valuable metal in the nation. Fitting then that the delegation that the VSC sent to compete in the Olympiad is hauling in the silver medals in quite an extraordinary fashion, rather than bringing home the gold so to speak. That's not to say that the athletes out there competing and getting on the podium are not looking to get the gold medal and win for Valanora, yet there is something a bit fitting about the deluge of silvers that the Vanorian delegation has gotten.

Of the seven medals that the delegation has gotten, six of those have been silver, with the other one being gold. It's an alright haul through the nine days thus far, tied for second among total medals with the hosts themselves, while everyone is trailing the Vilita Union in both golds and total medals. The trend of silver continued yesterday, with Veryanonon Aeralithe taking second in the men's Super G final in alipine skiing. It is an unexpected medal in the event, but one that the delegation and Veryanonon will take none the less.

Also tending upwards are the three team events, with all of them winning their games yesterday, although the men's curling got a huge scare against New Wolfopolis, barely edging them five to six. They will now take on Vaugania, who also barely managed to win their round of sixteen game, for the chance to go to the medal round. Early indications give our side the advantage, yet the same was thought for the second round game, so take that as you will. The women had no such problem, winning big over Asteran and proving why they continue to be the favored team in this Olympiad to take home the gold.

The biggest disappointment of the day though came in the women's 1500 speed skating, where Aranistiel Talviel missed a medal by .07 seconds. It was the sport where Vanorians thought a huge medal haul could be won, especially after taking gold and silver in the first event in the sport. Alas, things have not quite gone there way here in Saugeais. Still, with three out of the four teams still in contention and multiple athletes still favored to medal in the last few days, all hope is not lost for the delegation. Three more medals even hits a bare minimium expected amount from this delegation, so there's a race for that for this strong set of athletes.
World Cup 40, 42, 43, 52, & 61 Champions
WC 47, 51, 94 (2nd), WC 34, 38, 39, 41, 44, 45, 53, 60, 67, 92 (3rd), WC 49, 58, 87, 90 (Semifinalist), WC 33, 35-37, 46, 48, 54, 55, 62, 63, 65, 72, 83, 85, 86, 88, 91 (Quarterfinalist)
WCoH VII, VIII, XVII, XXVIII, XXX, XXXII (1st), WCoH I, XXXI, XL (2nd), WCoH II, XXIX (3rd), WCoH XII (4th)
AOCAF 44, 46, 51, 53, 65, 68 Champions, AOCAF 39, 43, 55, 59, 64 Runners Up
Co-Hosted: too many events to count

EPL Season 20,073

I am that which I am and choose to be.

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:27 pm

Vulshainian Olympic News Coverage: Winter Olympic Games IX

Vulshain's Wins Bronze in Alpine Skiing as Female Figure Skaters Prepare to Reach for the Gold

Bonjour everyone! This is Yermolai Vadimaron, reporting live from Arçon in Saugeais, where this year's Winter Olympics are taking place, for Vulshainian Confederate News and Media Network (VCNMN)'s Winter Olympic Games IX Coverage.

Faddei Varnava, despite almost twisting his ankle, won the bronze in the Men's Super G of Alpine Skiing. "It was very intense. I just have to be careful next time," he said, thrilled on winning his first medal.

And that's not all! Sandra Harlina, despite not finishing one of her runs in the Women's snowboard cross quarterfinals, still qualified to move onto the semifinals. She was extremely happy on qualifying. "Yeah I messed up on my first run during the quarterfinals, but I was able to make up in the next runs. I hope to do extremely well in the finals."

To top it off, the younger brother of Vulshain's King Samuil Rainard, Erik Rainard, qualified in the quarterfinals of the Men's snowboard cross event! His Majesty chatted with his little brother, congratulating him on his accomplishment. "I am very proud of my little brother. Whether he wins or loses, I know that he gave it his all, and that's what matters." His Majesty congratulated and praised all of Vulshain's athletes on their hard work and dedication that they exhibited during these Games. "Each of them has shown amazing determination and exceptional sportsmanship, making not only me, but all of their fellow Vulshainians proud of them."

In the Men's Bobsleigh event, all three of Vulshain's teams qualified in their runs. "Bobsleigh racing is still not very popular, but I'm interested in seeing how we do out there," Terry Wayneson II, a Vulshainian spectator told VCNMN when asked about what he thought of Vulshain's chances in bobsleigh racing.

Today, Vulshain hopes to make up for its loses in figure skating as Vulshain's female skaters take to the ice. So everyone keep your fingers and toes crossed and pray that they wow the judges! Vulshain has been unable to score in figure skating, despite having a stellar program, although recently, due to these setbacks, there is much talk of reorganizing Vulshain's figure skating program.

This has been Yermolai Vadimaron, reporting live from Arçon in the Republic of Saugeais, for Vulshainian Confederate News and Media Network (VCNMN)'s Winter Olympic Games IX Coverage, and wishing our athletes good luck out there and congratulating them on their hard work! Au revoir et à demain!

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:48 pm

"...and finally, a look around the day's Olympic results. Two Leos, Hull and Parry, won medals in men's fifteen-kilometer Biathlon, bracketing Ashton Vaulkner. Rigby Samson and Zlatko Jonker currently lead the two-man bobsleigh, halfway through the event. Their performance is inscrutable to mere human reckoning, however, thanks to the machinations of Loyal Friends of the purported Lord Almighty Gregory, Henry Usher and Charlos Harlord, who--aha, my fast-improvising friends on the teleprompter inform me that they have not warped the time-space continuum so as to obfuscate all knowledge of time, but merely are representing their homeland's cultural mores by being identified under their full titles, and I oughtn't be so judgmental at such a touching display of friendly loyalty. Well, that's a relief, then. In that case, I can inform you that Samson and Jonker lead by one twentieth of a second.

In her second Winter Olympics, Elaine Kripke--of Phinein district--deteriorated just slightly in the relative ranks; she was 43rd in the women's 1500 meter speed skating, down from 42nd in...hello, what's all this now...aha...the good folks at the teleprompter are happy to announce that the Liventian flag has changed, and...while the old flag retains the status of the 'State Flag', these old results have retroactively been emblazoned with the new flag. Quick on the uptake, all things considered...But no, the point is, she was 42nd in City Centre. This is despite an absolute better time, overall, and of course the field is so much more crowded this time around. Koralo Conett, from Utekee, is into the semifinals of the men's snowboard cross. That competition will conclude tomorrow.

Ioan Karger-May has announced that he will intend to complete the giant slalom alpine skiing event, which is scheduled for day twelve. There've been some concerns about the Kerlagrad skier's health, after two successive falls eliminated him from both the downhill and the super-G events. In particular, he was expected to do better in today's super-G, but clearly no such luck. Zwangzug's three other entrants in that event were able to complete the course today, finishing in thirty-fourth and thirty-fifth, as well as forty-third...the teleprompter guys would like you to know that they all record comparable times back home, so two of them finishing a hundredth of a second apart is not that surprising, but Dantreigh's struggles--ah, it appears the teleprompter guys are not in agreement on this--why is there more than one of you, anyway? That's a mistake. Bill is awesome and Jeff is a loser--sorry, just reading the teleprompter, force of habit--sorry, Jeff--maybe you guys want to get that cleared up..."
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Transalpine Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transalpine Republic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:08 pm

HOME / LATEST SEGMENTS / MARCH 12 / WINTER OLYMPICS UPDATE
WINTER OLYMPICS UPDATE
Transalpine Republic Looks On Medal in Bobsled from Outside

Posted on Wednesday, March 12
The team of Peter Aurbel and Gunther Severin slide into 9th in the bobsled.

Before we return to our regular programming, we have a special broadcast from the Winter Olympics. Here we have in the studios Orel Lafrentz, the sports editor for the Transalpine Republic, to discuss the latest results from the Winter Olympics for Transalpine Republic. The men's bobsled, men's super-G, and men's ski jump final are in the headlines today.

View Transcript
<theme music plays>

Silvester Martin: Good midday. Today we talk about the upcoming elections in Transalpine Republic. We also will talk about the increase in tourism to the 'Alpine Cantons', as they are known. We also have an update from the Winter Olympics in Arcon. All of this and more in Alpen Radio Hour after the latest news.

SM: Before we talk about the upcoming elections, we turn to a special broadcast from the Winter Olympics. Here we have in the studios Orel Lafrentz, the sports editor for the Transalpine Republic, to discuss the latest results from the Winter Olympics for Transalpine Republic. The men's bobsled, men's and women's super-G, and men's ski jump final are in the headlines today. Orel, thanks again for being here.

OL: Thanks for having me. It's my pleasure.

SM: Let's first examine the events going on today after we broadcast. On Matchday 8, both Crescentia Koenig and Béatrice Lefévre qualified for the women's 1500m short track speed skating quarterfinals. Can you tell us a little bit about this event and what we can look forward to?

OL: In my opinion, short track speed skating is one of the most exciting winter Olympic sports to watch. Anything can happen in this event: if a skater makes one false move, three or four other skaters can be taken out of the mix. If one skater makes a foul move and another goes in the pads, it's important to just finish the race. The officials will most likely disqualify the other competitor and move you onto the next level. It's a really fast sport, and it keeps you on your toes.

SM: How is short track speed skating different than regular speed skating?

OL: Well, it's the same concept: get around the track in the fastest time possible, but there are several slight differences. Since the sport originated in America, where the event often needed to be held indoors, the track was a little shorter than the standard speed skating track that was held outside. Also, instead of just two racing for the fastest overall time, usually six or seven racers are fighting for a few spots to the next round of competition.

SM: Thanks Orel. Next we go to the men's and women's super-G events. Can you tell us a little about the results and about the events?

OL: Super-G is like a combination of slalom and downhill events. Although the course is mainly a speed course, like downhill, there is more turning than in a downhill event, and there are widely spaced gates that the skiers have to go through, almost like slalom. The Super-G was a good event for the women, with Lisa Bahr bringing home Transalpine Republic's first gold in alpine skiing. The men didn't fare as well, with the three athletes landing in 36th, 37th, and 38th.

SM: Next to men's bobsled. The two-man event's first two runs were held today. Can you update us about this event, Orel?

OL: Peter Aurbel drove himself and Gunther Severin down the track to the ninth place position, while the pairing of twins Aristide and Jean-Baptiste De Sauveterre came into a 21st place finish. As with in skeleton and luge, anything is possible in this sport, and all of the events in luge and skeleton have the first place finisher after runs one and two missing out on the medal, so I think that Aurbel and Severin have a good chance at a medal.

SM: Orel Lafrentz is the senior sports editor for the Transalpine Times. Thanks again, Orel.

OL: It's always a pleasure, Silvester.

Saugeais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Another full day's worth of fun! Day 10 RP cutoff.

Results
Last edited by Saugeais on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65

Renzynistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renzynistan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:20 pm

RENZYNISTAN WEATHER BUREAU

Public Warning Statement: Snow Storm over the Greater Cordilleran Region
Affected areas Salevik, pop. 8,000,000; Ruvskova , pop. 2,780,000; Topilo, pop. 2,920,000
People are expected to prepare for the effects and aftermaths of the storm. Prepare first aid kits, foods and other essentials.
People are advised to remain indoors until further notice.
Salevik International Airport: ALL FLIGHTS ARE NOW CANCELLED
Salevik Central Station: TRAIN SCHEDULES ARE NOW CANCELLED
Hi-way 30: IMPASSABLE
Hi-way 31: IMPASSABLE
Hi-way 10: PARTIALLY PASSABLE
North Inter-Island Expressway: PARTIALLY PASSABLE
For more information, visit the website www.rbw.gov.rz

The Salevik Inquirer

Snow storm continues to hit Salevik, nearby cities
The country's first mega snow storm in terms of magnitude

SALEVIK, RENZYNISTAN—Heavy and severe snow storms continue to pound the greater Cordilleran region affecting the country’s capital, Salevik and its neighboring cities Ruvskova and Topilo.

In total, the snow storms have affected more than 13,700,000 people from the three cities as major hi-ways are clogged with heavy snow and traffic, trains, flights and even ships schedules are cancelled.

Earlier, the Renzynistan Weather Bureau released a public warning to the people in the region to remain indoors until further notice.
Thousands of passengers in major airports, ports and stations remain stranded as the storm rages on. Miko Guy, a tourist who was supposed to fly to the southern city of Vlas’ Yevo, got his flight cancelled and is now one of the thousands of people affected by the storm. “It’s really frustrating you know” Guys comments. Another passenger, Ahn Hall, is also stranded. “It’s really inconvenient” she says. “I was thinking of just hitting the road but then the hi-ways were also impassable” she adds.

In Hi-way 30, the main hi-way connecting Salevik and Ruvskova, more than 1,000 vehicles have been stranded. In the Salevik Central Station, train travel was also cancelled due to “different safety hazards” that the train may encounter along its journey.

Classes are now suspended up to the tertiary level. However, government and private offices remain open.

This was the first time the country has experienced a snow storm of this magnitude. The last snow storm recorded to hit the greater Cordilleran region was in the year 1995.

According to a statement released by the Renzynistan Weather Bureau, temperatures are still set to plummet 10 degrees below freezing up to Saturday evening. At Sunday morning, the storm is expected to melt over the Salevik Gulf.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports