NATION

PASSWORD

NS Premier League - Discussion Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:50 am

Speaking as someone who's had a lot of rps sink into inactivity when an op stops doing anything for even such a short amount of time (rl or not), we need someone who can scorinate to be a co-op, at least for this week.
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Lzherusskia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lzherusskia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:59 am

I'm completely with Vakolicci. A backup scorinator doesn't mean this stops being ASMV's show, it just reduces the risk of it dying. I'm excited for this and I've been writing a lot, but the longer the delay the more people are going to get turned off it, particularly if there are more delays later on. And while I appreciate the sentiment, have you ever seen an event where a delay has prompted MORE people to roleplay?

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 am

If less people RP, you excited people have a higher chance of winning. Leave ASMV be on this one.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:09 am

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:Speaking as someone who's had a lot of rps sink into inactivity when an op stops doing anything for even such a short amount of time (rl or not), we need someone who can scorinate to be a co-op, at least for this week.

Many signed up on the condition of ASMV being the host. You cannot just appoint a backup scorinator, because those who signed up may not agree with that person scorinating. Secondly, a backup would have to have ASMV's blessing, and ASMV clearly stated that he would return on the 25th after some RL concerns level off.

For some this is good actually: it allows the World Cup and World Bowl to get more key matchdays in, and with those tournaments further along, more RP time can be spent here if ppl choose to do so.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

The Licentian Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:11 am

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:Speaking as someone who's had a lot of rps sink into inactivity when an op stops doing anything for even such a short amount of time (rl or not), we need someone who can scorinate to be a co-op, at least for this week.

That may be an issue in other subforums, but in NS Sports, especially with experienced members of the forum like ASMV, there's never really a sink into inactivity. Have a little bit of patience.
Two Time Esportivan Champions

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:29 am

Star, Cass and Licen pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Besides, after a marathon World Cup qualifying, I need a semi-break from RPing at the moment. Spending around 2 hours per night hosting the World Bowl also doesn't leave me with the desire to RP as much as I normally would.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Lzherusskia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lzherusskia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 am

Starblaydia wrote:If less people RP, you excited people have a higher chance of winning. Leave ASMV be on this one.

The thing I keep seeing here is people being told you shouldn't be RPing if you're just interested in winning. Which is it?

Many signed up on the condition of ASMV being the host.

People also signed up expecting a consistent schedule of scorination. My guess is that, given the choice between waiting for ASMV and risking the whole thing dying slowly or having a new scorinator, people won't have a problem with the latter.

Don't construe any of this as an attack on ASMV, by the by. I understand they have a very good reputation, presumably for good reasons, and if RL concerns have caused this delay then that sucks, but it's completely understandable. I'll live if the delay is non-negotiable, I'm just disappointed because my creative juices have finally started to flow again and I don't want them to dry up.
Last edited by Lzherusskia on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:49 am

Lzherusskia wrote:
Starblaydia wrote:If less people RP, you excited people have a higher chance of winning. Leave ASMV be on this one.

The thing I keep seeing here is people being told you shouldn't be RPing if you're just interested in winning. Which is it?

RPing never hurts (unless you are one of the 1,000 monkeys typing absolute gibberish, and even then only with a harsh host grading them), and we almost all like to win. We just don't RP in order to win, instead we do it for the fun of it. The bonus for it is there as a little sacrificial rubber chicken to the scorinators to maybe (and I really do mean maybe) help you along a bit. Does that make sense?
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion

Frusennia
Attaché

Founded: Nov 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Frusennia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:58 am

>The thing I keep seeing here is people being told you shouldn't be RPing if you're just interested in winning. Which is it?

As much as it may seem this way, we on NSSports do not constitute a hivemind. We are not a political party, nor the military, so we don't have to have to all give the same story. Some of us RP as a way to get the best possible results for our teams; others RP as well as we can based on the results we get.

>People also signed up expecting a consistent schedule of scorination. My guess is that, given the choice between waiting for ASMV and risking the whole thing dying slowly or having a new scorinator, people won't have a problem with the latter.

My guess, based on empirical evidence, is that you're wrong. People are still posting to this thread as well as the IC, which means that the competition is not dead. As someone else said, this isn't Portal to the Multiverse, where your concerns would be completely one-hundred-percent founded and a Co-OP would be the only option at this junction. We're all a bit more invested than that, and we'll be around next week when ASMV comes back.

>I'll live if the delay is non-negotiable, I'm just disappointed because my creative juices have finally started to flow again and I don't want them to dry up.

The delay is non-negotiable because, as (I think) Starblaydia said, ASMV would have to approve a co-OP, this competition being his baby, and he's already given his chosen solution. I understand your frustration about creative juices. For what it's worth, I had been telling a story between here and the World Junior Hockey Championships, which has since stalled pretty dramatically (note the drop in word count and quality) since I don't have the NSPL side of the story to tell right now.
Pronunciation: Fru-sen-nee-uh
Capital: Elvabyen
RP Population: ~10 million
Demonym: Frusennian
Languages: Frusennian, German, and English
Sports played: Ice hockey, pesapollo
World Junior Hockey Championships V Champion
Icy puppet of Venta de la Mesilla. Hockey and ludefisk, you betcha!
Vettrera wrote:...I could have been doing this the whole time.
I love you, I hate you.
OOC Reference

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Starbladia, although that is true, it also reduces the thickness of the plot of the rp if less people are posting.

Plus, if this takes longer than is expected (because we don't know what else will come up in anyones life), it may run into other peoples competitions. Not an attack on ASMV, just that 2 co-scorinators is generally good unless we know for cirtain that major rl things will not crop up, which we never do.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

New West Guiana
Minister

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New West Guiana » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:51 pm

RL > NS that's the cold hard truth. People shouldn't complain or worry, if ASMV believes that RL has become more hectic and wont have much time for NS he may have some one scorinate.
Domestic sports leagues

NS is just a state of mind, time has no boundary nor does our sanity.

Please ignore my senseless ramblings, I'm getting old.

Mangolana
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mangolana » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Sorry I have not been very active guys. Been working setting up tryouts for my own soccer team that I am basically assistant gm for. I will try to get more active here in the next few weeks though, once again sorry. :(
Pronounced: Man-Go-Lan-a
Deuce is Loose
Qualified for World Cup 59, 60, 65
Hosted: World Lacrosse Championship XI, Market Cup, Market Cup II, Soccer for Hope, Beach Cup 4, WISC 2, WISC 4, Campeonato Rushmori Juvenil Sub-20 and Sub-17
Won: Beach Cup IX
Second: Market Cup, Graveyard Cup
Third: Market Cup II, WIF/SC II
Fourth: Market Cup 4
Quartefinals: IBC 8, World Lacrosse Campionship XI, World Junior Ice hockey Championship, Buchadinger Cup II, Market Cup 3

Frusennia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Frusennia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 am

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega wrote:Congrats to PIS on a well-deserved Championship

and then...

It has been nearly four years since I made my return to NS. Over that time I Have come to know many of you really well and consider this hodgepodge community of all types to be a second family for me. Thus it saddens me to announce my retirement from NS. As so many have before me, I know that I will return one of these days. It’s just that right now I have several RL issues that need to be settled such as a new career and a big move on the immediate horizon. Most important to me is finally getting my head back in place to finish the novel I have been working on for what seems like forever. It seems that when I sit down to write I think more of RP for here than of my book before I get disgusted with myself and put a minimal effort into both. I need to change that - for me. Writing was never a chore for me and I hate feeling that it is now. And so I must go for a while at least.

I respect and admire too many of you to name, yet Star and Arch seem to stand out in my mind. Thanks to all of you for making this never-was-supposed-to-be-awesome game what it is. I’ll see y’all on the flip side.

PS – don’t go doing anything crazy like letting Qazox win a Cup until I return and get one for myself.
I love you, I hate you.
OOC Reference

Northern Sunrise Islands
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Northern Sunrise Islands » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Well, what do we do?
Tails... Watch out, you're gonna crash, aaaaah!
Project +90 | Sunrise's Sportwires (shared with Dainer) | PokéCard ~ Label Guide
Champion: WC 75 and 76, U-15 WC 4 and 6, DBC 29 and 41
Now known as Kita-Hinode

Frusennia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Frusennia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Northern Sunrise Islands wrote:Well, what do we do?

I don't know. While I admit I was highly skeptical of this idea at its inception, it's grown on me considerably thanks in large part to ASMV's dedication. Now that RL has taken him away from us, I hope it can keep going, but unless someone of similar ability and devotion takes it over, I don't know whether I see that happening. If anyone were interested in taking it over, I would say let her or him come forward and give what amounts to a hostbid and let us vote, but that's just a suggestion.
I love you, I hate you.
OOC Reference

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Frusennia wrote:
Northern Sunrise Islands wrote:Well, what do we do?

I don't know. While I admit I was highly skeptical of this idea at its inception, it's grown on me considerably thanks in large part to ASMV's dedication. Now that RL has taken him away from us, I hope it can keep going, but unless someone of similar ability and devotion takes it over, I don't know whether I see that happening. If anyone were interested in taking it over, I would say let her or him come forward and give what amounts to a hostbid and let us vote, but that's just a suggestion.

I suggest to pick one to start a bid process and choose a "provisional" committee, after that choose the bid.
Last edited by San Jose Guayabal on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 pm

San Jose Guayabal wrote:I suggest to pick one to start a bid process and choose a "provisional" committee, after that choose the bid.

No, because:

San Jose Guayabal wrote:I throw my hat to be the president of that "provisional" committee

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Starblaydia wrote:
San Jose Guayabal wrote:I suggest to pick one to start a bid process and choose a "provisional" committee, after that choose the bid.

No, because:

San Jose Guayabal wrote:I throw my hat to be the president of that "provisional" committee

Well forget that thing, I give the idea but I'll not take part
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Lzherusskia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lzherusskia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:00 pm

I'm going to put my name forward purely because I've put a lot of effort into this already, and I would much rather that didn't all go to waste. The sooner we get a replacement system in place, the better - it's been two weeks since the first set of results and I think we're approaching the point where people are just going to forget about it without some obvious signs of progress.

Northern Sunrise Islands
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Northern Sunrise Islands » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:17 am

San Jose Guayabal wrote:
Frusennia wrote:I don't know. While I admit I was highly skeptical of this idea at its inception, it's grown on me considerably thanks in large part to ASMV's dedication. Now that RL has taken him away from us, I hope it can keep going, but unless someone of similar ability and devotion takes it over, I don't know whether I see that happening. If anyone were interested in taking it over, I would say let her or him come forward and give what amounts to a hostbid and let us vote, but that's just a suggestion.

I suggest to pick one to start a bid process and choose a "provisional" committee, after that choose the bid.

That would be a great way to start it out, but we would need someone big for that. Personally, as much as the idea sounds nice, I'm slowly picking the Saint-Raptors out for my lower levels. But if we get this thing up and running again, who knows?
Tails... Watch out, you're gonna crash, aaaaah!
Project +90 | Sunrise's Sportwires (shared with Dainer) | PokéCard ~ Label Guide
Champion: WC 75 and 76, U-15 WC 4 and 6, DBC 29 and 41
Now known as Kita-Hinode

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:24 pm

Let's stop bickering about asmv, and just get host bids in from anyone who wants to make host bids. After that has happened, I'd be happy to serve as an anonymous voting dump (telegram your choices to vak 2)
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Boring Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Boring Paradise » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 pm

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:Let's stop bickering about asmv, and just get host bids in from anyone who wants to make host bids. After that has happened, I'd be happy to serve as an anonymous voting dump (telegram your choices to vak 2)

That is not necessary, as ASMV is the creator and host of the NSPL. Anyways, the NSPL has already started, the only time we would need to actually need to do host bids is when, ASMV CTEs.

Note: This post is from a person who hasn't really read the recent discussion on this thread.
The Paradisian Empire contains the Center, Boring Paradise, and the loyal countries that have sworn allegiance.

Best Places
U-15 World Cup 7 Runners-Up
WWISC 2 Runners Up
U-15 Chamionship (3rd Place)
Friendly Cup X (3rd Place)
Hosted
Internation FireStorm Cup II,III
Friendly Cup X

Eastfield Lodge
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eastfield Lodge » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Boring Paradise wrote:
The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:Let's stop bickering about asmv, and just get host bids in from anyone who wants to make host bids. After that has happened, I'd be happy to serve as an anonymous voting dump (telegram your choices to vak 2)

That is not necessary, as ASMV is the creator and host of the NSPL. Anyways, the NSPL has already started, the only time we would need to actually need to do host bids is when, ASMV CTEs.

Note: This post is from a person who hasn't really read the recent discussion on this thread.

... :palm:
ASMV has decided to retire from NS, which means that he won't be able to host the NSPL, hence the need to find a new host.
Economic Left/Right: -5.01 (formerly -5.88)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31 (formerly 2.36)
ISideWith UK
My motto translates to: "All Eat Fish and Chips!"
First person to post the 10,000th reply to a thread on these forums.
International Geese Brigade - Celebrating 0 Radiation and 3rd Place!
info to be added
stuff to be added
This nation partially represents my political, social and economic views.

Boring Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Boring Paradise » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Eastfield Lodge wrote:
Boring Paradise wrote:

... :palm:
ASMV has decided to retire from NS, which means that he won't be able to host the NSPL, hence the need to find a new host.

I am so sorry for that then, I had totally forgot that.. :meh:
The Paradisian Empire contains the Center, Boring Paradise, and the loyal countries that have sworn allegiance.

Best Places
U-15 World Cup 7 Runners-Up
WWISC 2 Runners Up
U-15 Chamionship (3rd Place)
Friendly Cup X (3rd Place)
Hosted
Internation FireStorm Cup II,III
Friendly Cup X

Eastfield Lodge
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eastfield Lodge » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Anyone got plans for continuing this?
Economic Left/Right: -5.01 (formerly -5.88)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31 (formerly 2.36)
ISideWith UK
My motto translates to: "All Eat Fish and Chips!"
First person to post the 10,000th reply to a thread on these forums.
International Geese Brigade - Celebrating 0 Radiation and 3rd Place!
info to be added
stuff to be added
This nation partially represents my political, social and economic views.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports