NATION

PASSWORD

WC of Hockey Discussion thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Most of IC information is up now. I still have yet to add IC venues and cities, so I'll do that part once I'm back from school in around 16 hrs.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Everything with IC information is up now. A RP challenge will be posted in a minute or two.

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Egh, I was going to try and RP but I'm just too busy (by "busy", I mean "lazy") too. Best of luck to everyone.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aquitayne » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:46 pm

...I don't understand why there's a terrorist attack in a freakin' sports thread. Seriously?

I'll just stick to my news articles.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Aquitayne wrote:...I don't understand why there's a terrorist attack in a freakin' sports thread. Seriously?

Everything was planned with Gregoryisgodistan, was in response of attacks against my fans, the question is who wouldn't react to this IC? This is the last blood-related post from me in this WCoH btw.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011

Postby Aquitayne » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:03 am

San Jose Guayabal wrote:
Aquitayne wrote:...I don't understand why there's a terrorist attack in a freakin' sports thread. Seriously?

Everything was planned with Gregoryisgodistan, was in response of attacks against my fans, the question is who wouldn't react to this IC? This is the last blood-related post from me in this WCoH btw.

Alrighty. Whatever floats yer boat.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Royal Kingdom of Quebec 3–4 Narsora

WTF?

Happy 420 Friends!

Havl
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:28 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:

WTF?

Hey, it happens. That's why we play the games, right? I was knocked out by a roster-less Sicoutimont in the Quarterfinals last time. That one still stings!
Same flag, same motto, same whatever since 2004.
Champions: World Cup of Hockey 20, 21, 22, 25
Hosts: NationStates Sports Car Series 1, 2, 3, 4

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Havl wrote:

WTF?

Hey, it happens. That's why we play the games, right? I was knocked out by a roster-less Sicoutimont in the Quarterfinals last time. That one still stings!

I know, but hey, let me whine for the first time in 8 months for a sudden case of randomness(all the way back to WCoH 23) :p

Happy 420 Friends!

Havl
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:14 am

Havl wrote:Hey, it happens. That's why we play the games, right? I was knocked out by a roster-less Sicoutimont in the Quarterfinals last time. That one still stings!

I know, but hey, let me whine for the first time in 8 months for a sudden case of randomness(all the way back to WCoH 23) :p

Fair enough. Whine away! :)
Same flag, same motto, same whatever since 2004.
Champions: World Cup of Hockey 20, 21, 22, 25
Hosts: NationStates Sports Car Series 1, 2, 3, 4

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 am

How come the Vauganian side is using three points for a win and the Quebecois side is using two? (That is, the side scorinated by those two, respectively, and hosted by the other.)
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 am

Also Mieraskya is back in Group C instead of Arany-Putsza

welp sorry to see you slip Quebec... I hoped it would turn into a goal difference issue instead of points deciding who'd be first in our group.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Vaugania
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:How come the Vauganian side is using three points for a win and the Quebecois side is using two? (That is, the side scorinated by those two, respectively, and hosted by the other.)

Miscommunication between hosts. My point totals will be changed to 2 per win. It does not seem that this change will affect the standings.

Ko-oren wrote:Also Mieraskya is back in Group C instead of Arany-Putsza

welp sorry to see you slip Quebec... I hoped it would turn into a goal difference issue instead of points deciding who'd be first in our group.

My error. I neglected to change the name when posting the results last night. It has been fixed in the MD6 results.
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

Vaugania
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Due to RL events, neither host will be able to fulfill their duties Saturday evening. As a result, all upcoming games will be pushed back one day. There will still be a rest day on Halloween. The schedule will be updated to reflect this change as soon as I get back to a desktop.
Last edited by Vaugania on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:34 am

So, the Ibex will be needing a new Head Coach. I would prefer one from one of the top 10 ranked nations, or at least top 20, but they don't have to be former coaches or management. Former national players would be acceptable, too.
Please contact me if you're interested.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Gyatso-kai
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Gyatso-kai » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:39 pm

And knocked out again by the non-RPing team.

For the sake of their still being RPs from more than just a couple people, I will continue posting RPs.

I think when I make my bid for WC XVI, I am going to put something in where if you don't post an RP after a couple of days, your bonus is zeroed and your opponents is doubled. I've always felt that seeing non-RPing nations advance kind of kills the fun for me.
The Avatarian Republic of Gyatso-kai
Denomyn: Avatarian || Trigramme: GKI || Located: Arrosia
Factbook || Armed Forces Holocron
Champions: World Cup of Hockey XXIII, XLIV, XLV, XLVIII, L, AOHC XII
Runner-Up: World Junior Hockey Championship III, World Cup of Hockey XXI, XXVI,
Third Place: World Cup of Hockey XV, XVII, XVIII, XL, XLVII

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:13 am

Gyatso-kai wrote:And knocked out again by the non-RPing team.

For the sake of their still being RPs from more than just a couple people, I will continue posting RPs.

I think when I make my bid for WC XVI, I am going to put something in where if you don't post an RP after a couple of days, your bonus is zeroed and your opponents is doubled. I've always felt that seeing non-RPing nations advance kind of kills the fun for me.

I think this is a terrible idea, People do have lives outside of this game, and if for whatever reason they can't RP for a couple of days you are discouraging them from getting back to RPing. NSSports is inherantly random, the people who deserve to win won't always do so.
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:31 am

Haven't had the time to RP much lately, and I've RP'd in the Handball World Cup. Now that's over, I'll switch back over here. That doesn't mean I should have won this third game though, but there's a difference between not-RPing and not-RPing at all.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 pm

While I do get your concerns and so on, I don't think this is going to be a wise move at all, if you do get to host..... Randomness, despite its powers being drastically reduced in new modifiers for hockey, is still there.

In addition, Ko-oren did RP for several times in group stage, so it wasn't like he's a completely non-RPing team. In his case HWC was on its near-end, so he had to put his efforts on that as well.

Happy 420 Friends!

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:03 pm

I didn't RP because, honestly, I was too lazy.

Even if I had RPed, it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

I support the idea of zeroing non-RPing nations' bonuses and doubling the opponents, though.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:30 pm

I do support this idea if done right, but I think "a couple days" is too short a period of time for this. If someone has to go out of town due to a family emergency, they could be gone a couple days without RP'ing. On the other hand, if it's the quarterfinals and someone hasn't yet posted anything but a roster (if that) maybe zeroing their RP Bonus (if they have any) and doubling their opponents' would make sense. Sicoutimont beat Havl in the quarterfinals in WCoH 24 in spite of having posted absolutely nothing, not even a roster. While Havl wasn't as active as he used to be, he still got in quality RP's, plus he had the higher rank. Sicoutimont did wind up posting a roster and RP'ing before the semifinals, when he lost to me. Unlike you, I'm clearly not biased here, since, I might have had to face Havl in the semis instead of Sicoutimont last tournament and could very well have lost that series. I don't like to play "what-if" even without mixing IC and OOC, but I certainly wouldn't have benefited from that. Even if Sicoutimont had beaten Havl anyway, he posted a roster and RP before the semifinals, meaning the penalty would presumably have gone away.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:49 pm

A problem I can see (please note that this may not make sense, I'm tired, hopefully the general idea gets through though):

Semifinals
RPing Team A plays non-RPing Team B: Team B's bonus goes to zero and Team A's bonus is doubled
RPing Team C plays RPing Team D: Both bonuses remain the same

Final
RPing Team A plays RPing Team C or D: Team A's bonus has been doubled, while Team C or D's bonus has not, giving Team A an unfair advantage.

If this proposal were to be implemented, it would definitely need to be done in a way so that the bonus is only doubled for that particular game/series, otherwise, a team will be rewarded for facing a non-RPing team while punished for facing a fellow RPer.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:07 pm

Darmen wrote:A problem I can see (please note that this may not make sense, I'm tired, hopefully the general idea gets through though):

Semifinals
RPing Team A plays non-RPing Team B: Team B's bonus goes to zero and Team A's bonus is doubled
RPing Team C plays RPing Team D: Both bonuses remain the same

Final
RPing Team A plays RPing Team C or D: Team A's bonus has been doubled, while Team C or D's bonus has not, giving Team A an unfair advantage.

If this proposal were to be implemented, it would definitely need to be done in a way so that the bonus is only doubled for that particular game/series, otherwise, a team will be rewarded for facing a non-RPing team while punished for facing a fellow RPer.

I thought that was so obvious I assumed that was what Gyatso-Kai meant, but just in case it isn't, thank you for pointing that out.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:50 pm

So is posting a two sentence RP enough to avoid having your RP bonus reset?

I do agree with the sentiment here, but its implementation is going to be problematic. I'd reserve this for teams who

- haven't RP'd all tournament
- reached the knockout phase

to avoid advancing the teams who haven't put any effort in all tournament. I could be called biased as I just benefitted heavily this past round, but on the other hand I also lost the IBC finals because of this. Not pointing fingers, just saying we have probably all been on the giving and on the receiving end of this.

Valanora
Senator

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valanora » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 pm

I seriously am heavily against this proposal. Yes, losing to nonRPing is awfully annoying, but that is part of the randomness that keeps things in balance. Not to mention there are several factors that could be causing the lack of RP, from something small like not having enough time, to something as big as a family emergency.
World Cup 40, 42, 43, 52, & 61 Champions
WC 47, 51, 94 (2nd), WC 34, 38, 39, 41, 44, 45, 53, 60, 67, 92 (3rd), WC 49, 58, 87, 90 (Semifinalist), WC 33, 35-37, 46, 48, 54, 55, 62, 63, 65, 72, 83, 85, 86, 88, 91 (Quarterfinalist)
WCoH VII, VIII, XVII, XXVIII, XXX, XXXII (1st), WCoH I, XXXI, XL (2nd), WCoH II, XXIX (3rd), WCoH XII (4th)
AOCAF 44, 46, 51, 53, 65, 68 Champions, AOCAF 39, 43, 55, 59, 64 Runners Up
Co-Hosted: too many events to count

EPL Season 20,073

I am that which I am and choose to be.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports