NATION

PASSWORD

The World Cup Discussion Thread (OOC, version III)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Sova Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sova Empire » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Cassadaigua wrote:There is now a 2nd World Cup bid!

Casaran or Cassadagan?

That mini-heart attack when the Casaran system almost comes back up. The only reason I didn't RP The Sovan Antithesis' BoF was because I had no idea what was going on.
☻/ This is Bob, copy & paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world.
Quarterfinals: HWC 10
Round of 16: IBC 12, WBC 26 + 27

World Bowl Ranking: 44th, 4.52 points
World Cup Ranking: 58th, 14.8 points
World Baseball Classic Ranking: 18th, 1.66 points

Furellum
Spokesperson

Founded: May 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Furellum » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 pm

The Sova Empire wrote:

Casaran or Cassadagan?

That mini-heart attack when the Casaran system almost comes back up. The only reason I didn't RP The Sovan Antithesis' BoF was because I had no idea what was going on.

That's why Furellum didn't debut until BoF 53; we were avoiding the Casaran used in 52.
Winners of the Thirty-first Di Bradini Cup!

The Magical, Anthropomorphic Trans-Dimensional Secret Oligarchy

Proudly located in Atlantian Oceania

Puppet of Barunia
Currently ruled by a secret society
Runner ups at the 4th and 5th U-15 World Cup, with a third place finish in the 6th!

Felix
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Felix » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 pm

The Sova Empire wrote:

Casaran or Cassadagan?

Furellum wrote:
The Sova Empire wrote:That mini-heart attack when the Casaran system almost comes back up. The only reason I didn't RP The Sovan Antithesis' BoF was because I had no idea what was going on.

That's why Furellum didn't debut until BoF 53; we were avoiding the Casaran used in 52.

Guise, guise.

The Casaran system was pretty swell and was enjoyable and should be considered when you vote on voting day.

/not saying this because of 2nd place finish

/not sponsoring this system because the user had a jolly good time in the Casaran and the Free Republics did not

#justtrustmeonthisone

Vaugania
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 pm

I happen to think that the Casaran system looks interesting. Every tournament on here is run in pretty much the same way. It's nice to have a change every once in a while.
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

Apox
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Apox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:56 am

Vaugania wrote:I happen to think that the Casaran system looks interesting. Every tournament on here is run in pretty much the same way. It's nice to have a change every once in a while.

^ This
The History of Modern NSSports internationalpost.apx (Newswire) The Apoxian Compendium
Winners: Campionato Esportiva IV, V & XVI, World T20 Championships VI, Imperial Chap Olympiad
Runners-up: CoH 58, World T20 Championships V, Campionato Esportiva XII
Third: Campionato Esportiva XIII
Fourth: Campionato Esportiva VII & XV
Baptism of Fire 50, Cup of Harmony 56, World Cup 69, World Cup 73, World Cup 82
Friendly Cups 2 & 6, World T20 Championships II, Campionato Esportiva IV, VIII, XII & XXIII, GCF Season 4, 8 & 10

The Licentian Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 am

Polar Islandstates wrote:Any potential BoF hosts out there?

I would be willing to host the Baptism of Fire, and I could maybe be considered a more experienced host, as I have experience of hosting WCC events in the past. So, if anybody's interested, send me a TG.
Two Time Esportivan Champions

Alasdair I Frosticus
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alasdair I Frosticus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 am

Apox wrote:
Vaugania wrote:I happen to think that the Casaran system looks interesting. Every tournament on here is run in pretty much the same way. It's nice to have a change every once in a while.

^ This

I remain adamantly opposed to the Casaran system in the World Cup - as opposed to the CoH and BoF - for the same reason I remain adamantly opposed to expansion of the World Cup finals; it's too much of a departure from the RL World Cup, and the Casaran system bears no resemblance to any known RL qualification system.

Legalese and Saintland would, I'm sure, run an excellent tournament - this is no slur on their hosting abilities - but I cannot support a Casaran qualification system in WC qualification.

Fortunately, we have another bid from another pair of highly qualified hosts, so I can vote for that other bid with a clear conscience.
Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 am

Tynewear wrote:Polar Islandstates suck, and that is a fact.

Okay, either you're a puppet, a new nation of an older user, or you've got an impressive amount of sass for one so new.

I'll allow it.
For now.
The True Valhallan Federation of Polar Islandstates - Pop. 51,500,000
Capital: Franz Josef City - Demonym: Valhallan (Polarian) - Trigramme: PIS
sportnyheter.vu - Ides of March Cup
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:39 am

Alasdair I Frosticus wrote:I remain adamantly opposed to the Casaran system in the World Cup - as opposed to the CoH and BoF - for the same reason I remain adamantly opposed to expansion of the World Cup finals; it's too much of a departure from the RL World Cup, and the Casaran system bears no resemblance to any known RL qualification system.

Legalese and Saintland would, I'm sure, run an excellent tournament - this is no slur on their hosting abilities - but I cannot support a Casaran qualification system in WC qualification.

Fortunately, we have another bid from another pair of highly qualified hosts, so I can vote for that other bid with a clear conscience.

QFT
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Vaugania
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Alasdair I Frosticus wrote:
Apox wrote:
^ This

I remain adamantly opposed to the Casaran system in the World Cup - as opposed to the CoH and BoF - for the same reason I remain adamantly opposed to expansion of the World Cup finals; it's too much of a departure from the RL World Cup, and the Casaran system bears no resemblance to any known RL qualification system.

While that does make sense (as far as having no resemblance to RL), there isn't too much on here that is exactly like RL. It is possible that a horse will have to dribble past a hippo in order to score a goal on this website. Why not?
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

Nouvel Ecosse
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouvel Ecosse » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 am

I really enjoyed BoF 52 as a participant...

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Nouvel Ecosse wrote:I really enjoyed BoF 52 as a participant...

The Baptism of Fire isn't the World Cup qualifiers, though.
Слава Україні!

Alasdair I Frosticus
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alasdair I Frosticus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 am

Vaugania wrote:

While that does make sense (as far as having no resemblance to RL), there isn't too much on here that is exactly like RL. It is possible that a horse will have to dribble past a hippo in order to score a goal on this website. Why not?

You're confusing organisation tournament format with content of RP.

Do we expect the contents of our RPs to always closely follow RL expectations of what happens in a football match? No.

Do we expect the organisation of our premiere tournament to adhere as closely as possible to RL organisation conventions? Yes - that's the whole idea behind the organisation of the NSWC, and has been since WC1.

While we can't replicate RL confederation-based qualification, we have developed a system modelled as closely as possible on RL qualification; in essence, we have a "single confederation system" roughly equivalent to every World Cup participant qualifying out of UEFA.

A Swiss/Casaran system has absolutely no precedent in World Cup qualification formats. As the Wiki article on Swiss systems notes, it's a system most commonly associated with games and sports like badminton, chess, Go, bridge, Scrabble, hardcourt bike polo, ultimate frisbee, and South African esports. I note that none of these involve association football.

Introducing the Casaran system may sound like a lark, and a bit of a fun change, but it's a fundamental rewriting of the organisational basis which supports the NSWC.

And one of the reasons we adhere to the RL system as closely as possible - in both the NSWC and the NS Olympics - is to avoid precisely this type of argument; it ensures a consistent understanding of the tournament's basic organisational framework. For precisely the same reason, we cap the maximum number of tournament participants at 32 in keeping with RL organisation. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? What's to stop someone proposing a tournament with single-elimination / knock-out qualification for 64 finalists? Or a Scheveningen system with 16 qualifiers?

Again, this is no slur on Legalese and Saintland themselves; they're fine people, and would make excellent hosts - but I regret that I find their proposed use of the Casaran system in the World Cup proper to be a serious mistake in light of the above.

There is nothing against the rules in the Legalese / Saintland bid, but given the level of controversy this always causes, given the extent to which it rewrites many of underlying assumptions of our tournament, potential hosts should be actively banned from proposing a Swiss/Casaran-style qualification process for the World Cup proper via constitutional amendment. Current informal conventions on "single confederation" qualification based on teams playing each other home and away within their qualification group should be written into the constitution, while nonetheless maintaining host flexibility of the number and size of groups, how many teams qualify from the group, and whether or not playoffs will be necessary.

Nouvel Ecosse wrote:I really enjoyed BoF 52 as a participant...

Which is completely irrelevant, because the Baptism of Fire is not the World Cup.
Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 am

There is nothing against the rules in the Legalese / Saintland bid, but given the level of controversy this always causes, given the extent to which it rewrites many of underlying assumptions of our tournament, potential hosts should be actively banned from proposing a Swiss/Casaran-style qualification process for the World Cup proper via constitutional amendment. Current informal conventions on "single confederation" qualification based on teams playing each other home and away within their qualification group should be written into the constitution, while nonetheless maintaining host flexibility of the number and size of groups, how many teams qualify from the group, and whether or not playoffs will be necessary.

I 100% disagree with you on this part.

Is this really a controversy? It looks to me like some people debating the relative strengths and weaknesses of a tournament style, and discussing whether they'd like to use it or not. I see no controversy here at all. Merely some newer users saying they didn't like it, some other newer users saying they did like it, and some older users claiming its a controversial subject and objecting to it so strongly that they've just proposed banning it altogether. I'd agree that it is a tournament style better suited for smaller tournaments, but hell, why do we need to ban it? It's just a discussion about a tournament style...

If it's so bad, it'll lose the vote. And if the objection here is how different it is to the 'UEFA model' of RL WC qualifying, why single out only Swiss/Casaran style qualification processes? Why not eliminate CONCACAF style qualification as well? Or CONMEBOL? Or double-elimination? If they are informal conventions, let's leave them as informal conventions. I expect the vote to go one particular way, as I'm sure you do as well, but I don't see the point in writing up and voting in a constitutional amendment that basically says "you can only host if you host it like this." Again, you and I both know which format the vast, vast, vast majority of tournaments will end up getting run with - the fact that Audio/TIS' shorter format was seen as something of a departure is proof of that if it were ever needed - but I don't see why we can't have that choice. Just strikes me as a tremendously unnecessary amendment. The finals are constitutionally limited in format, let's leave it at that.
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:49 am

I see no problem with the Swiss-style qualification; because it's never been tried before/it's not like any format we've ever used is no excuse to actively denigrate the bid. Was there this much "outrage" at the first NS World Cup to have group qualification? Or at the first one to have a play-in/playoff?

The only qualification format in my time here that was controversial in anyway was the two-stage World Cup 54 hosted by Babbage Islands and Cassadaigua. At the end, it wasn't the end of the world, and it was overall one of the better World Cups I've been in.

In the 12 cups since then, the format has been practically the same and to be honest boring as hell. So why not shake it up a bit, try something new and if it works, then kudos to all involved. If not, well chalk it up to a learning experience.

No disrespect to Cassadaigua and Equestrian States, who have a great bid themselves and both of whom I like... but I will be voting for Legalese and Saintland.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Alasdair I Frosticus
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alasdair I Frosticus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:08 am

Polar Islandstates wrote:

I 100% disagree with you on this part.

Is this really a controversy? It looks to me like some people debating the relative strengths and weaknesses of a tournament style, and discussing whether they'd like to use it or not. I see no controversy here at all. Merely some newer users saying they didn't like it, some other newer users saying they did like it, and some older users claiming its a controversial subject and objecting to it so strongly that they've just proposed banning it altogether. I'd agree that it is a tournament style better suited for smaller tournaments, but hell, why do we need to ban it? It's just a discussion about a tournament style...

If it's so bad, it'll lose the vote. And if the objection here is how different it is to the 'UEFA model' of RL WC qualifying, why single out only Swiss/Casaran style qualification processes? Why not eliminate CONCACAF style qualification as well? Or CONMEBOL?

That's not my objection.

The objection isn't the difference with the UEFA model; the objection is that the Swiss/Casaran model has no RL precedent.

For clarity, I'm calling for the banning of any system that has no RL precedent rather than specifically singling out the Swiss/Casaran system; but I concede that my last post was badly phrased there, particularly where I wrote "Current informal conventions on "single confederation" qualification based on teams playing each other home and away within their qualification group should be written into the constitution, while nonetheless maintaining host flexibility of the number and size of groups, how many teams qualify from the group, and whether or not playoffs will be necessary." That part was likely both unnecessary and distracting.

CAF, AFC, CONCACAF, and CONMEBOL qualification formats would all be legitimate RL precedents that I wouldn't object to on these grounds. Though you'd have to be mad to actually try any of them in an NSWC since most of them would present serious KPB rank calculation issues, and the only one that wouldn't - CONMEBOL - would see the hosts organising a 238 match day qualification where every team played each other home and away across a single qualifying group.

We tend to default to 'UEFA-style' because of a combination of RL precedent and practicality. But it's the real life precedent that's the important part to me. I'm happy for potential hosts to suggest another system with RL precedent where it proves practical. I'm not happy for people to propose a system that not only has no real life World Cup precedent, but which is usually associated with Scrabble, chess, badminton and hardcourt bike polo.

For all of these reasons, the Swiss/Casaran system has no place in the NSWC, and should be constitutionally banned.

And here's my specific proposed amendment:

Proposal to amend the header of part 2.3 of the WCC Constitution

2.3 The World Cup
The World Cup is the second, and most important, event in the World Cup Cycle. It will always consist of 32 teams (including the co-hosts), who have been whittled down by the Qualifying Process to turn scores of hopeful countries into thirty relieved ones and countless disappointed ones. The qualification format must follow a model based on a RLWC continental confederation qualification format in so far as is practical. It is the longest running sports competition on Nationstates, dating back to early 2003 when internet piracy barely existed, and Max Barry was still trying to simply promote a book.

I need three other people to second that to allow it to go to a vote.
Last edited by Alasdair I Frosticus on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?

Alasdair I Frosticus
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alasdair I Frosticus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:14 am

Qazox wrote:I see no problem with the Swiss-style qualification; because it's never been tried before/it's not like any format we've ever used is no excuse to actively denigrate the bid. Was there this much "outrage" at the first NS World Cup to have group qualification? Or at the first one to have a play-in/playoff?

<snip>

In the 12 cups since then, the format has been practically the same and to be honest boring as hell. So why not shake it up a bit, try something new and if it works, then kudos to all involved. If not, well chalk it up to a learning experience.

You seem to have missed the point.

The objection has never been "it's never been tried before" or not wanting to "shake things up a bit". The objection is as follows:

A Swiss/Casaran system has absolutely no precedent in World Cup qualification formats. As the Wiki article on Swiss systems notes, it's a system most commonly associated with games and sports like badminton, chess, Go, bridge, Scrabble, hardcourt bike polo, ultimate frisbee, and South African esports. I note that none of these involve association football.

Introducing the Casaran system may sound like a lark, and a bit of a fun change, but it's a fundamental rewriting of the organisational basis which supports the NSWC.

And one of the reasons we adhere to the RL system as closely as possible - in both the NSWC and the NS Olympics - is to avoid precisely this type of argument; it ensures a consistent understanding of the tournament's basic organisational framework. For precisely the same reason, we cap the maximum number of tournament participants at 32 in keeping with RL organisation. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? What's to stop someone proposing a tournament with single-elimination / knock-out qualification for 64 finalists? Or a Scheveningen system with 16 qualifiers?
Last edited by Alasdair I Frosticus on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:14 am

The proposal is seconded.
Слава Україні!

Apox
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Apox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:26 am

I'm for the casaran qualifying system - I'd find it gloriously refreshing in my case, as the shorter qualifying was this time (although depressingly terrible for the Apox National Team). But then again, I am a crazy radical (I support the Green Party for crying out loud!) who has a one point advocated two-tier qualification, the scrapping of the Globe Cup, regional qualification for the WC etc.
The History of Modern NSSports internationalpost.apx (Newswire) The Apoxian Compendium
Winners: Campionato Esportiva IV, V & XVI, World T20 Championships VI, Imperial Chap Olympiad
Runners-up: CoH 58, World T20 Championships V, Campionato Esportiva XII
Third: Campionato Esportiva XIII
Fourth: Campionato Esportiva VII & XV
Baptism of Fire 50, Cup of Harmony 56, World Cup 69, World Cup 73, World Cup 82
Friendly Cups 2 & 6, World T20 Championships II, Campionato Esportiva IV, VIII, XII & XXIII, GCF Season 4, 8 & 10

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:35 am

Qazox wrote:I see no problem with the Swiss-style qualification; because it's never been tried before/it's not like any format we've ever used is no excuse to actively denigrate the bid. Was there this much "outrage" at the first NS World Cup to have group qualification? Or at the first one to have a play-in/playoff?

<snip>

You seem to have missed the point.

The objection has never been "it's never been tried before" or not wanting to "shake things up a bit". The objection is as follows:

Just because there is no RL precedent for it? That's your main reason why the Swiss-style format can't be used? Just making sure before I fully respond.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Legalese
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Legalese » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:54 am

And you know what? The format Saintland and I proposed is still,in many ways, acceptable. After all, look at CONCACAF qualifying. Multiple elimination stages, followed by a double-round-robin - two, actually. In order to make it practical for the NSWC, we tweaked the elimination aspect to use a format that works like an elimination tournament, but gives teams a number of matches to be worthy of usage - and levels the field by eliminating the early stage byes - and removed the second group stage, since we have a good many more sides qualifying than CONCACAF does.

Now, was it the intent to mimic it? I'll let you all speculate ;-)

My point, however, is that what you propose does next to nothing to actually do what you want it to do, as people will find a way to conform while remaining practical. Bids should be able to live or die on their merits, and not require the level of headstanding and stretching that I had to do above to conform to a standard that ignores that we are in a reality where we also cannot follow true continental qualifying, because the only geography available is IC and easily adjustable.

To vote against a bid because you don't like the format is a fair and respectable decision. To move forward with this proposal ignores where the NSWC diverges from RL.
Host/Co-Host of:
World Cup XXII and LXVIII
Cup of Harmony XI and XIII
Baptism of Fire IX, XIV, XV, XVI, XLII, LII
The Inaugural CAFA Cup
AOCAF Cup V and XXXIV

Winner of Cup of Harmony 55 and Jeremy Jaffacake Jamboree II
Anaia: Like all the best ideas, this is moving from "lampoon" to
"take seriously" rather quickly

(H/T to Mertagne)

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:56 am

I disagree with the proposal: one because RL implementation or not should not matter in my opinion, and two because there is always a vote before a bid is accepted. I think it is up to the voters to decide, and I fully trust them to pick the single best bid.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:02 am

Alasdair I Frosticus wrote:CAF, AFC, CONCACAF, and CONMEBOL qualification formats would all be legitimate RL precedents that I wouldn't object to on these grounds. Though you'd have to be mad to actually try any of them in an NSWC since most of them would present serious KPB rank calculation issues, and the only one that wouldn't - CONMEBOL - would see the hosts organising a 238 match day qualification where every team played each other home and away across a single qualifying group.

We tend to default to 'UEFA-style' because of a combination of RL precedent and practicality. But it's the real life precedent that's the important part to me. I'm happy for potential hosts to suggest another system with RL precedent where it proves practical. I'm not happy for people to propose a system that not only has no real life World Cup precedent, but which is usually associated with Scrabble, chess, badminton and hardcourt bike polo.

For all of these reasons, the Swiss/Casaran system has no place in the NSWC, and should be constitutionally banned.

And here's my specific proposed amendment:

Proposal to amend the header of part 2.3 of the WCC Constitution

2.3 The World Cup
The World Cup is the second, and most important, event in the World Cup Cycle. It will always consist of 32 teams (including the co-hosts), who have been whittled down by the Qualifying Process to turn scores of hopeful countries into thirty relieved ones and countless disappointed ones. The qualification format must follow a model based on a RLWC continental confederation qualification format in so far as is practical. It is the longest running sports competition on Nationstates, dating back to early 2003 when internet piracy barely existed, and Max Barry was still trying to simply promote a book.

I need three other people to second that to allow it to go to a vote.

If you're proposing a constitutional amendment to enforce a model based on a RLWC continental confederation qualification, and have just as good as eliminated CAF, AFC, and CONCACAF on KPB grounds, and CONMEBOL on length, then are we not in effect left just with UEFA and the OFC as viable in your eyes? And I suspect the OFC would fall in with the same basked as CAF, AFC, and CONCACAF anyway.

If you're moving to a constitutional amendment to avoid having to discuss the Casaran system in future (which seems like a cop-out to me, but there we go), then presumably you can have no objections in the future should somebody propose a system modelled almost entirely on the OFC? After all, it is a RLWC continental confederation qualification that could be practically run in the NS multiverse. Plus, it has the bonus of not having an amendment written specifically to eliminate it.

This seems at best like a poorly written, and at worst like an incredibly petty amendment, and I for one would have hoped that the WCC could resolve the issue of what hosting format to use with a vote, like we always have done.
He/Him/His

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:54 am

Alasdair I Frosticus wrote:the only one that wouldn't - CONMEBOL - would see the hosts organising a 238 match day qualification where every team played each other home and away across a single qualifying group.

How about if we did that idea, only shrink it down to, say, ten or twelve matches, and after each Matchday your opponent is scheduled based on having a similar W-D-L record to you? Then we take, I dunno, Top 30 plus hosts? Top 60 and a play-off plus hosts?

Or is that too facetious? :p
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Mytannion
Minister

Founded: Aug 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mytannion » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:31 am

Completely disagree with the proposal. Limiting the choice of hosts on the qualifying system they want to run isn't something I'm a fan of and especially on the basis of this particular system not having real life precedent. It seems to be a proposal made purely on the basis of not liking the system to me.
The Third Republic of Mytannion
Capital: Esca - Population: 43,500,000 - Demonym: Mytanar

Sporting Achievements:
Football: Copa Rushmori XVII, CoH 56 & 59 Champions. Qualified for WC 55, 58, 60, 61, 63, 66; Round of 16: WC 56, 57, 62, 65. Quarter Finals: WC 68.
Lacrosse: WLC IX & XVII Champions!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports