NATION

PASSWORD

Copa Rushmori VIII - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Civil Citizenry
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Civil Citizenry » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Group A comes now...

Group A
Erathore 1–2 Mangolana
Astograth 1–1 Kernansquillec
Homelands our 4–0 Jen O the Hill

Group A                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Astograth 4 2 2 0 8 5 +3 8
2 Kernansquillec 4 2 1 1 6 3 +3 7
3 Homelands our 4 2 1 1 8 6 +2 7
4 Erathore 4 2 0 2 10 9 +1 6
5 Mangolana 4 1 1 2 4 7 −3 4
6 Jen O the Hill 4 0 1 3 3 9 −6 1
Last edited by Civil Citizenry on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Independent Conglomerate of Civil Citizenry
Demonym: Citiz || Population: 36,000,000 || Trigramme: CVC || Located: Rushmore || Information: Wikipage · Sports Newswire · Bartewick News Service
"Worst Tweet of the election season:
'Because of the hurricane, I am extending my 5 million dollar offer for President Obama's favorite charity until 12PM on Thursday.' - Donald Trump"

Mapletish
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mapletish » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Mapletish continues winning ways after a 1-3 win over Ancharmunn

Following the 3-1 victory,Mapletish sits at 3rd with 3 wins and a lose,11 goals scored and 4 against
with an exciting 9 points.

Your Football Kaki - John Smiths - In the match against Ancharmunn,Mapletish met another tem who wore football kits without jersey numbers and names,
this anonymous players whoever they are must be pretty good in football too,pointing the match against Mytannion.Ancharmunn took the lead in the 21st minute
and lead the first half with a procession of 55% to Mapletish's 45%.They created 3 chances in all in the first half with Mapletish's effort of 7 chances.The fight
was won in the second half after an amazing hat-trick by Junio.The second half started out with Mapletish starting the ball at kick-off,Morison looks tense with the
ball at kick off but it was the reserve as he was the one who created 3 goal chances which resulted in 3 assists for Junio to bang in.
All in three came in as crosses from the right wing,in the 60,70 and 80th minute respectively.Mapeltish well deserved win was put forward as they are a point
off from the top of the table.

Group D
Erikkesh 1–0 Mytannion
Ancharmunn 1–3 Mapletish
The Hidden Paw 0–0 Saugeais

Group D                  Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 The Hidden Paw 4 3 1 0 11 1 +10 10
2 Saugeais 4 3 1 0 8 3 +5 10
3 Mapletish 4 3 0 1 11 4 +7 9
4 Ancharmunn 4 1 0 3 5 11 −6 3
5 Erikkesh 4 1 0 3 3 10 −7 3
6 Mytannion 4 0 0 4 5 14 −9 0
Last edited by Mapletish on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Minuscule Nation Mapletish
Pop. 65,000,000 | Capital: Struggait City| Demonym: Maplish/Mapletian| Trigramme: MAP
First - WLC 24, DBC 43, XIV Winter Olympics Second - WCoH 22, RUWC 23, CR 24 Third- BoF 44, HWC 11, WCoH 20, WCoH 21, DBC 49 Fourth - U15WC9, RLWC12, CR 14
Qualified for WC 64, 66
www.unionsports.map
Proudly contributing my triumph's to the glorification of the greater whole!

Homelands our
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Homelands our » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:55 am

How Super Is The Super League?

Not much alliteration there. A few years have past in other countries time since the creation of the super league. Here in Homelands Our however their can be 10 world cups a year! So in order to keep up with UICA we have a few super leagues a year (yes the sport calendar was your time). Does this affect the players or are the player just plain bad or are they good?

Ok let's face the facts of performance in UICA tournaments. Only one team from Homelands Our has ever got to the group stage of any UICA tournament. That was Island of Jersey FC two 'years' ago in the globe cup after they fell in the TQCC play-offs. They were terrible, they scored one goal (you read right, 1) and lost all six games. No wonder that the next year none of our teams made it! What does this mean?

When you look at the facts you will find that it is normal for a new country like us to be like this. In fact Island of Jersey done great just getting past round 1, we should be pround of them. However we did not win the globe cup. Ok then they did not win the globe cup, happy now? Good. We should do better this 'year' (your time) as 3 'years' should give us a place in the group stage. In short that on it's own cannot make the super league super but goes a long way to helping the cause.

Another major thing  that measures super-ness is performance in the world cup. You may be thinking what has that got to do with clubs, it's national teams, well I am here to tell you. Do national team players play at home or abroad, how good have the national team done in the world cup those are the main questions that this section will answer. Well national team caption, Jamie Long is the only player not to play in Homelands Our. In fact he does not even play in Rushmore, he plays for  Mavaloiao FC in Vilita. The record in the world cup however is not great. Cast your mind back to world cup 57. We were in group 1 and came second last. No matter what way you look at it, that is not super. Next world cup we were in group 7 and came last. It is now clear that we are not super.

Super-ness rating for Homelands Our Super League: Not Very Super
Join us in NSSport
Ranked 99 in football (soccer)
created the quall cup
3rd in quall cup 2 and quall cup 3
Follow the HOSL on the IDSN thread

Western cuba
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Western cuba » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:04 am

Havana Tribute
The #1 Newspaper in Western Cuba

Western Cuba Qualifies for Round of 16

Jorge Ramirez

It wasn't amazing, after all it was only a tie. However it was enough, with the tie Western Cuba is now 3-1-0 in the Group stage of the 8th Copa Rushmori. Even to qualify them to the next round. Aquillian is one point behind Western Cuba after a win against Queer Poco el Mono Ara. The FSSO is two points behind after tying with Western Cuba.

The FSSO started off hot scoring against Western Cuba in the 8th minute. At the half Western Cuba seemed out of it, they only had two shots in the first half and were playing sloppy defense. Only Hector Diaz's fantastic hands prevented the FSSO from fully blowing out Western Cuba in the first half.

The second half was a different story however, Western Cuba came out playing like the team they were the first three games of the 8th Copa Rushmori. The defense limited the FSSO's shots in the second half and the offense pelted shot after shot towards Daniel Belgrave, the FSSO keeper. Belgrave played great but finally allowed a shot. In the 82nd minute Edgardo Mendoza played a give and go with Emilio Martinez who played the ball back to Mendoza who was onside. Mendoza then faked out an FSSO player and took a shot a little past the 18. The ball ended up going into the upper 90 of the right side of the goal. The shot along with FSSO and Aquillian facing each other next game clinched Western Cuba's qualification into the Round of 16.

Now facing against Megadia tonight, Western Cuba has the chance to win their group in their first every Copa Rushmori. If Western Cuba beats Megadia they automatically qualify. However though if Western Cuba ties against Megadia they can still win Group B by having FSSO beat Aqullian and beating the FSSO on Goal Difference. If Western Cuba is to do so though they can to have a great game on offense. Western Cuba so far has one of the best defenses in the 8th Copa Rushmori. Only allowing one game. Only the Hidden Paw has done the same. Western Cuba though must improve on it's offense which has only scored five goals in this Copa. Four of them being goals from Edgardo Mendoza. Western Cuban Soccer Analyst, Esteban Torres on SportsCentral a show on WCSN told us what he thinks Western Cuba must do to win the Group Stage and win the Copa Rushmori.

1. Western Cuba must attack with it's midfielders. Coach Marquez is over using Mendoza and he is being fatigued because of it. Most defenses that face Western Cuba double team Mendoza. When a team double teams someone like that it usually means they have a formation focused on the defense or someone is going to be open on Western Cuba's side. Western Cuba can use the double teaming of Mendoza to their advantage. However though all the midfielders have to get involved with active play on the offensive side of the field.

2. The team has to be consistent. I don't want to see a poor first half and then a great second half. I would much rather see two decent halves. I was on the nerve of frustration watching Western Cuba in the first half yesterday. If they play solid in both halves i'll be much easier for the team to win and for the fans to watch..

3. Change formations! I know this won't happen but I'm tired of watching Western Cuba play a 4-5-1. This suggestion kind of goes along with my first. Which suggests that Western Cuba needs to use it's midfielders more on the offense. We already have a great defense. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hurt for Western Cuba to play a 4-4-2. I would rather watch a 3-1 win they a 1-0 win. After the Copa Rushmori I wouldn't mind seeing Western Cuba switch to a more offensive formation.

4. Use the bench more! In my opinion Marquez doesn't use his bench enough. Their is a reason why our team is allowed 3 substitutions a game. Use them! I understand Marquez likes and trusts his Starting 11 but when someone is fatigued at the 81st minute a vital part of the game he needs to put a fresh new guy in. I think we have a very solid bench and we need to use it. Goyo Soto, and Fidel Torres are both two young play makers on the bench and them coming in late in the game can influence it in Western Cuba's favor.

MD5 is tonight against Megadia, the bottom feeder of Group B. Tonight might be a good night to test a more offensive formation. After all Megadia has allowed 12 goals in 4 games. That's 3 goals a game. I highly doubt that Coach Marquez is going to listen to a sportswriter in the Havana Tribute but it isn't a bad idea. Tonight's game is on WCSN so make sure to watch it.
Now known as the Technological State of Adros, the successor state of Western Cuba

Kernansquillec
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kernansquillec » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:00 am

STALEMATE AGAINST HOSTS

It was a cold and wet evening at The Foundry. Kernansquillec were taking on group leaders Astograth who were going strong with the backing of their home fans with 2 wins and a draw. The Green and Whites had also been playing quite well with 2 wins and a defeat against the defending champions Erathore, but they knew that a defeat would make it very hard to qualify for the knockout stages.

An unchanged side lined up against the hosts. Chappell Robert had told reporters at a pre-match press conference that he expected this game to be one of the toughest yet, and he wasn't far wrong. At the beginning of the game the Kers could well have fallen behind if it wasn't for some world class saves from Larivière who palmed away Iturralde shot before getting his body behind Lekea's follow up. But after a wobbly start the Green and Whites began to find some confidance and put toghether a flowing move down the left wing, but Sharp was unable to get a proper connexion on Pearce's cross.

Half time arrived with both sides still neck and neck, sharing possesion and 20 shots between them. But just 3 minutes had gone in the second period when Holmes wiggled into some space and set up Sharp who scored yet again, curling her 17 yard shot past Cheru Larretape. Kernansquillec almost increased their advantidge over the hosts when Peacock's long range drive left the keeper unable to reach the ball. Thankfully for the home fans the post was their to save them going two down, sending the ball out for a goal kick.

But Astograth are a quality team and were soon pushing for that equaliser after a couple of subs from Powell Pieran. Zuzen Barta's cross almost crept in at the far post but it just went wide by half a meter. The wet conditions were creating a few mistakes here and there and against the run of play the Green and Whites got themselves one on one after a slip from Dion Jantot. Holmes went for the killer blow with a chip. But despite it beating the keeper and seeming to be perfectly placed it bounced just in front of the goal and went strait over the cross bar. That miss proved fatal for the Kers as in the 91st minute Glover tripped Iturralde on the edge of the box. Aintza Lekea stepped up to take the free-kick and placed it right in the top corner to save a point for a below par Astograth side.

After Erathore could only draw against Mangolana the result was actually a decent one leaving Kernansquillec in second a point off the hosts who still lead the group. The final game for the Green and Whites will be against 3rd placed Homelands our. A win for eighter side would seal their place in the final 16. However a draw would give Erathore a chance of getting that second place. Qualification is still in the Kernansquillecans' hands, but victory is vital against Homelands our.

GREEN & WHITES ALL STARS TEAM ANNONCED

The full lineup of the Green & Whites All Stars has been annonced. After a few names were leaked yesterday we now have the full squad. Rose Dufette, leader of the Representative Union and MP, will be the goalkeeper for the side. Olympic C-2 Slalom gold medal winner Kayleigh Mellor will be playing at right back. Lev Gungana, the street dancer famed for his music videos with Mélysa and talent show, will be playing left back. Political sweethearts Prime Minister Benjamin and MP Manon Alford will form the heart of the defence. Lenny Dennis-Michelle the world famous chef will the right wingers for the side, while Madelaine Kay, Mellor's Olympic partner, will play out on the left wing.

Ex national team manager turned TV pundit Dean Harold will partner one of the best dog trainers in the country, Lilly Douglas, in central midfield. And up front Lev Le Bras, the leader of the Communist Party of Kernansquillec will line up alongside the big coup of the all star team: international superstar Mélysa, best known for her songs "Life Sucks", "Doing My Own Thing" , "Golden Goal" and "Me and U 2" as well as her albums "69" and "Words of Wonder".

On the bench are the 3 members of the boy band Les Mecs du Bled, Greg Couteau, Phillipe Barbeur and Jacky Soutouf, the leader of the Green Trees Party Fernando Bouliet, and the coach of the All Star Team who could well make an apperance, former international player Peter Rolland.

The Green & Whites All Stars team will be playing in the The Greg Jackson Charity Cup during the next week or so with all the games shown live on TV. Good luck to the celebrities who will not only be playing for a good cause, but also for the national against a mix of lowly international sides, 'B' Teams, U21 sides, as well as the odd U3 team.

Win: 1-0 vs. The Jenhillers
Lose 1-2 vs. The Blue Colored Defending Champs
Win 3-0 vs. The Dark Green Mangos for All
Draw 1-1 vs. The Darker Green Hosts
10th: vs. The Grey Land of their Homeland
Last edited by Kernansquillec on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winners of the 17th Rugby Union World Cup
Domestic Newswire ~ Football: 66th ~ UICA: 44th ~ Handball: 3rd
WANT A KIT? K KITS CAN HELP

Runners-up at Copa Rushmori XXI and at the XIV Handball World Cup
3rd Place at the WSWC I
4th Place at the 42nd Baptism of Fire & 19th Di Bradini Cup
Qualified for the 57th, 73rd and 74th World Cups

The Kiaser Colonies
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kiaser Colonies » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 am

Alfie watched Charlie. She opened here mouth wide in surprise then quickly put her hands over her mouth. Her eyes were on the verge of tears (of joy he hoped). Everything seemed to be going in slow motion. How long was it going to be before she said something? Then she took her hands away from her mouth. This was it.

Charlie: Yes! Oh Alfie yes!

Charlie leaned over and hugged him round the neck and kissed him on the cheek. Then she sat back up and gave him her hand. Alfie suddenly became aware of the applause of all the people in the café as he slid the ring onto her slender finger.

Charlie: Alfie it's beautiful, I can't believe you did this. I love you so much.

Alfie: You're worth more than any ring to me Charlie. I love you too.

Charlie: Let's go home. It's a more appropriate place for "love."

Alfie: Ok. I'll just be a sec.

Charlie: See you in a minute, fiancé.

Alfie walks to the bathroom and is called by a cashier at the counter.

Cashier: Congratulations mate. Hope you get on well.

Alfie: Wouldn't have asked her to marry me otherwise would I?

Cashier: True, true.

Alfie takes out his phone. He sends a message to Ronan and Igor.

Message: Bad news. I won't b cing 2 much of u 4 a wile. She said yes!

He sends the message. A minute later he gets a reply back. It's from Ronan.

Seconds later he gets another message from Igor.

Igor was right. He did have a treat last night. He looked at the clock. 10am. He looked at his fiancé. She was still asleep. Then he realised it. He was late for work.

Alfie: Oh f**k. S**t, s**t, s**t!

Being late was bad. It meant he would have to stay late at work and he would then be late for training, which would mean he would get a lecture from the coaches, which in turn would stop him getting home in time to watch the Copa Rushmori game between The Kiaser Colonies and Valladares with Charlie. Quickly he jumped out of bed and ran to his wardrobe. He shoved on a shirt and some trousers. He brushed his teeth while trying to put on his other shoe and hop down the stairs. He made it down safely and grabbed his keys and 2 slices of bread. He jumped into his car and sped off. There was no time for traffic now (not that there would be, he was 2 hours late and the roads were quiet). He pulled into the car park at the office building.

Receptionist: You're 2 hours late Alfie. What were you doing last night?

Alfie: You don't need to know.

He just got into his office and turned on his computer when his boss, Mr. Winslow, opened the door and walked in.

Mr. Winslow: Alfie you are inexcusably late. You better have a good reason and I want to know everything.

Alfie had many embarrassing moments in his life. He had a strange feeling that this would be one of the higher ranked ones. Worse, he heard rumors from other employees that Mr. Winslow was a slight pervert. He hoped they weren't true.
Last edited by The Kiaser Colonies on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Winner of Rugby World Cup 18 and R7WC 2.
Host of Rugby League World Cup XVII

Hosted: Domestic leagues, Rugby League World Cup XVII

Advanced passed groups/qualifiers: Rugby World Cup 17 (Quarter-finals), Copa Rushmori VI, Rugby World Cup 18, R7WC 2, Beach Cup 13, 9th GCF World Twenty20, Rugby League World Cup XVII (Quarter-finals)

3rd Copa Rushmori VI, Beach Cup 13
2nd None
1st Rugby World Cup 18, Rugby 7's World Cup 2, gold medal men's doubles badminton at one iteration of the Olympics.

Australian and proud!

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 pm

ImageAmadeus Irndtor...

Yeah, sure I remember him. The weedy little that used to stare at me from the stands as I started out in the first team. And who could blame him? I mean, I was there to be stared at. Scouts came from around the country to come and see me in the Franz Josef State League to see me play when I was starting out in the team. I was causing a stir. Consecutive hat tricks at the age of 21 in my first season, I was hot stuff. But I wasn't tempted. To me, SK was the best team in the world, why would I want to move? In many ways it still feels like home to me, maybe one day I'll go back. Maybe.

But there he was, of all the youngsters that would come to watch, he was the one that stuck out. The scouts were all there to watch me, yeah, but I could hear the whispers about "that young guy Irndtor in the youth team". We were aware of each other, let's put it that way. On top of that, there was his figure. Long, thin, like a beanpole. Think Patrick Ackermann-Finn, but without that extra 8 inches that made Paddy so, well, ridiculously tall. His shock of white blonde hair, and those icey-blue eyes. Made you feel like you were being watched by a ghoul, or a spook, or a ghast. There was definitely something of the other world about him. Slightly unnerving.

But the whispers continued, and so I had to up my game. I got better. Just like I always do when I feel like somebody is trying to steal my limelight, I improve. It's my limelight. I deserve it. I'm the best. I'm the star of the show. Not some snotty faced other worldly kid from the academy.

And then came the Federation League, of course. And all of a sudden my star was rising. Goals, goals, goals, and all the time this kid's resentment of me was growing, apparently. I mean, the cheek! There I am, scoring goals for the team, propelling us to two consecutive titles, and he's getting all uppity because I happen to forget his name a couple of times on the few occasions he comes on for me at the end of games.

Ungrateful brat, I was thinking.

And no, of course I never showed how impressed I was when he scored. How are you going to keep someone working hard to impress you if they think they already have done. Look unimpressed. I always did.

I don't care if he was desperate. I had my job to do, and he had his. The more I did mine, the more he'd want to do his.

And then I left SK, as you all know, and he got his chance. We continued to see each other in Terns sides, but we didn't talk. In fact, every time he had a story about one of the important goals he'd scored for SK, I suddenly remembered a goal that I'd scored for SK that was more important, of for the Terns in some semi-final or other. He was needy. He was whingy. He needed constant validation from me, and I just couldn't be bothered with that.

And then that Ides of March final happened. He at SK with that Astograthi Ormache, and me at Royal Rumiatzi. A whole team bowed over to fitting into my style of play. As they should, obviously. We fell behind, the team not paying attention, too overawed by the occasion or something. Bit odd that I'd now scored both for and against SK in an Ides of March final against Royal Rumiatzi, but there you go. So we were there, fighting hard and being competitive, when this young twerp thinks he'll go ahead and score the winner out of some personal vendetta against me. Like its some scheme to get attention. Well let me tell you this, Amadeus, its about the team, not your personal aims and aspirations.

Unless you're me, in which case, yeah It's all about me.

So then he starts to face me down in the centre circle! I couldn't believe it! So like, am I your hero or do you hate me? Either you're here to show me what you're about and win my respect on the pitch, or you're here to fight me. You can't do both. Get your story straight, son.

I don't hate you. I don't disregard your talent as a striker, no. You're just not me. I'm me. And you are not. I'm out to do this for me. Any team that wants to tag along and make use of my abilities to climb the table, that's fine with me. Anyone else wants to take me on on the pitch, try it. But I'm not going to take you on face to face. You're not getting my attention off the pitch. If you want to take me on then I'm going to get on with it and pound you into the ground, I'm going to let my massively well insured feet do the talking. Don't look for a battle of wits with me cos you're not going to get one. Some would argue I don't have wits to fight with, but those people tend not to earn as much as I do, so I'm not that fussed about what they think, really.

So no, I'm not ignoring you, I'm taking the gauntlet, and I'm working on it, and I'm going to beat you. Maybe if you spent less time thinking about scoring goals to impress me and more time actually scoring goals, you'd be in a better position to win my respect. Hat trick against Palacios and Rodallega or no hat trick against Palacios and Rodallega, you'll never match my record. You're what, 27? 60-something caps and about 30 goals? Yeah, whatever. I'm on the brink of retirement and I have over 100. Try as hard as you want, Amadeus, you ain't beating that.

Come see me in the training lodge sometime, maybe we can share a chat over a coffee or something, you're not a bad striker, and you're going to score plenty more in the Federation League, and probably for the Terns, too. But don't injure yourself or give yourself a complex trying to outdo me.

It ain't gonna happen.

Skye out.
The True Valhallan Federation of Polar Islandstates - Pop. 51,500,000
Capital: Franz Josef City - Demonym: Valhallan (Polarian) - Trigramme: PIS
sportnyheter.vu - Ides of March Cup
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Falconfar
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Falconfar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Correspondence 1
Correspondence 2
Correspondence 3
Correspondence 4

To: Ky-Tro
Subject: Additional Security; Tough Win

Sorry that I couldn't reply to you sooner; with the additional security here, we aren't only protected, but also a bit annoyed by the lack of privacy. I do not fancy everyone reading my personal correspondence with one of my friends, so I held off until I could get some time on my own.

I like the sticks analogy that you used, and I am glad that it worked for you. I, for one, didn't try that... Instead, I tried something more drastic.

The day after our draw with Newland, I told the players that I would not start practice until everything that was needed to be said was said. There was a moment of awkward silence, and then the players conversed for well over an hour. After that, there were smiles on their faces, and practice went a lot smoother, which was good because the teams that we will face next are the meat of our schedule.

Civil Citizenry. The Nation that we have built the Space Bridge next to... The one experiencing all the riots due to the bridge... This would be a contentious match because well the match could have political repercussions. But that wasn't for me to decide... All I could do was to prepare my players for the task at hand, which would be facing a top 100 team in the World.

I think, as the final score would indicate, that we did pretty well today. We grew up a lot. Merryswing is really starting to blossom in goal, although it takes him giving up a goal to snap him into focus. We'll have to work on that. The Defense is starting to click, too...

But really, where would this team be without Loria Votmk... I shudder at the thought. The Xe'Notl from my rival, Pyria Thunder, have been such a stud. She scored two goals today, one on a breakaway, and the other as a header. That gives her close to ten goals...

I have to wonder why the Ministry of Sport didn't sign us up for the Baptism of Fire and the World Cup. We could've made some noise out there... But I suppose things in Irswabi aren't that clear, either, and with all this political crap going on, things might turn ugly. Hopefully by WC 60 we'll have everything squared away and be able to confront not just Rushmore but the world.

This win pretty much guarantees the playoffs for our squad, even with Civil Citizenry and Newland-America lurking behind Polar Islandstates and us. If we win, we win the group; if we lose, we should get second place depending on goal difference; even if we lose on goal difference, we should be one of the top four third place teams and sneak into the playoffs. However, with Timo Skye and the Terns cruising, we want to be able to beat them for the sake of momentum and pride.

I like the turnaround the players have made, but a giant awaits. A frost giant... We shall see how we fare.

Yours in the faith,
Ju-Iro.
Former Puppet of Chromatika
Currently another Northern Sunrise Islands puppet

Astograth
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Astograth » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Matchday 5 cutoff for groups B-F. Can you feel the suspense?!

Matchday 5 Results

Group B
Megadia 1–0 Western Cuba
Queer Poco el Mono Ara 0–5 Baltskandio
The FSSO 3–3 Aquillian

Group B                  Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Western Cuba 5 3 1 1 5 2 +3 10 Q
2 Aquillian 5 3 1 1 17 11 +6 10 Q

3 The FSSO 5 2 3 0 12 6 +6 9
4 Baltskandio 5 2 0 3 12 12 0 6
5 Megadia 5 1 1 3 8 12 −4 4
6 Queer Poco el Mono Ara 5 1 0 4 7 18 −11 3

Group C
Swartaz 2–6 Sargossa
Chenkorya 4–5 Darmen
Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuk 2–3 CNCR

Group C                  Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Darmen 5 4 1 0 14 10 +4 13 Q
2 Sargossa 5 4 0 1 19 10 +9 12 Q

3 CNCR 5 3 0 2 11 8 +3 9
4 Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuk 5 1 2 2 10 11 −1 5
5 Swartaz 5 1 1 3 8 14 −6 4
6 Chenkorya 5 0 0 5 7 16 −9 0

Group D
Saugeais 4–3 Erikkesh
Mapletish 2–0 The Hidden Paw
Mytannion 0–1 Ancharmunn

Group D                  Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Saugeais 5 4 1 0 12 6 +6 13 Q
2 Mapletish 5 4 0 1 13 4 +9 12 Q

3 The Hidden Paw 5 3 1 1 11 3 +8 10
4 Ancharmunn 5 2 0 3 6 11 −5 6
5 Erikkesh 5 1 0 4 6 14 −8 3
6 Mytannion 5 0 0 5 5 15 −10 0

Group E
Civil Citizenry 2–2 Newland-America
Polar Islandstates 1–1 Falconfar
Carmadin 1–1 Palacios and Rodallega

Group E                  Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Polar Islandstates 5 3 2 0 13 7 +6 11 Q
2 Falconfar 5 3 2 0 12 7 +5 11 Q

3 Newland-America 5 2 2 1 10 7 +3 8
4 Civil Citizenry 5 2 2 1 7 5 +2 8
5 Carmadin 5 0 1 4 3 9 −6 1
6 Palacios and Rodallega 5 0 1 4 6 16 −10 1

Group F
West Zirconia 3–1 Krytenia
Whirl Islands 1–0 Albertasby
The Kiaser Colonies 0–0 Valladares

Group F                  Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 The Kiaser Colonies 5 3 2 0 11 6 +5 11 Q
2 West Zirconia 5 3 1 1 7 4 +3 10 Q

3 Whirl Islands 5 3 0 2 9 4 +5 9
4 Valladares 5 0 4 1 5 7 −2 4
5 Krytenia 5 1 1 3 7 14 −7 4
6 Albertasby 5 0 2 3 4 8 −4 2

Qualified third-placed nations and the Round of 16 draw will be determined tomorrow, once Group A has been scorinated.
Last edited by Astograth on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astograth
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Astograth » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:14 pm

The night sky and orange streetlamps contrasted with the brightly lit interior of Old City Stadium, people milling around and about it awaiting kickoff. The advertised match was Sargossa against Swartaz, crucial for the outcome of Group C. The former went through with a draw, the latter were practically eliminated from the competition. Bands of either nationality took their seats, with sizeable amounts of neutral Astograthians in the stands as well. This was a Copa Rushmori after all, and good football was practically guaranteed.

Ruisko Garbalena was not there for the football. He walked briskly, with a scarf over his mouth that was somewhat justified by the chilly breeze sweeping through the Old City quarter. He knew he was being followed, he always had been since he'd started meeting with pro-democracy, pro-Iturributan independence types. Glancing back, he could spy not too far away a none-too-discrete man with a trench coat and sunglasses, presumably working for the Ministry of Intelligence. Didn't bother Garbalena. He was just going to watch a game, at least to any outside observer. They hadn't yet cracked the code with which he'd arranged the meeting, and if they did there wasn't much they could do.

Feeling his follower's eyes on the back of his neck, Garbalena took his seat in the main stand, next to a man with a Swartaz scarf around his neck. They didn't look at each other. They just talked as quietly as they could, their lips barely moving and well concealed; and keeping a close eye on the match to react at the appropriate times. Doing their best to look like two strangers sat next to each other by chance.

“Nice scarf.”

“Got it for a few dirus outside. Swartaz ones were on sale. Did Arnautz tell you what this is about?”

“Not exactly. He said you had contacts, and something special.”

“I do. You know, there's many of us in Civil Citizenry, and across the water. Waiting.”

“For?”

“You know what for.”

“I - ooooh!” exclaimed Garbolena as a Sargossan shot went just wide of the post.

“You were saying?”

“I, erm. Yes. I know what you mean.”

“Good. Look, I can call on many people, and you can call on me. Keep that in mind.”

“I will. You had something for me, though?”

“Not for you.”

“What's so important about it then?”

“It'll... speed things up.”

“How?”

“I can't tell anyone.”

Garbalena wished he could look into the man's clear eyes and perhaps glimpse the truth, but Swartaz scored and he was, for a blissful moment, pulled back into the simple, safe world of football.

Civil Citizenry
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Civil Citizenry » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Last Group A cutoff.

Group A
Jen O the Hill 1–3 Erathore
Kernansquillec 0–0 Homelands our
Mangolana 0–2 Astograth

Group A                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Astograth 5 3 2 0 10 5 +5 11
2 Erathore 5 3 0 2 13 10 +3 9
3 Kernansquillec 5 2 2 1 6 3 +3 8
4 Homelands our 5 2 2 1 8 6 +2 8
5 Mangolana 5 1 1 3 4 9 −5 4
6 Jen O the Hill 5 0 1 4 4 12 −8 1
Last edited by Civil Citizenry on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demonym: Citiz || Population: 36,000,000 || Trigramme: CVC || Located: Rushmore || Information: Wikipage · Sports Newswire · Bartewick News Service
'Because of the hurricane, I am extending my 5 million dollar offer for President Obama's favorite charity until 12PM on Thursday.' - Donald Trump"

Mapletish
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mapletish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:03 am

After the match against The Hidden Paw, Muain Newtons sat in his hotel room alone thinking about the match,lots of things went through his mind when
he looked at his entry pass.Being the manager of Mapletish was one of the things that he dreaded doing although he has the best record among the
managers managing Mapletish.Only a single loss in his management of Mapletish,a close 1-0 lose to Saugeais which currently sits first in Group D with
4 wins and a draw which gives them 13 points.Newtons recalled about the time when Mapletish stepped up to the international stage as the first manager
to lead Mapletish to a perfect tournament record in the Minnow Cup which has not been heard again after its sole edition of the tournament.The Copa Rushmori
was something that Newtons looked forward to win as Mapletish looks to add another trophy to their trophy cabinet and for Newtons,it was a goal for him to
win the Copa Rushmori and add two tournament victories for Mapletish under him which will greatly increase his prestige.After all Mapletish will have to
go through the Round of 16,Quarter and Semi Finals before they can get into the finals,with each round filled with challenges,as the top ranked teams are
also waiting to get their hands onto the trophy.

Newtons took note of the teams that have qualified for the Ro16.

#1 Western Cuba
- 3 wins,1 draw and a lose , 5 goals scored and 2 goals against,an average of 1 goal scored per match.
A look into the matches,the wins are of a small margin usually only a goal difference.
Attack - 56/100
Defence - 78/100

#2 - Aquillian
- 3 wins,1 draw and a lose , 17 goals scored and 11 goals against,an average of 3.4 goals scored per match.
Attack - 89/100
Defence - 51/100

#3 - Darmen
- 4 wins and a draw , 13 points
Attack - 75/100
Defence - 54/100

#4 - Sargossa
- 4 wins and a defeat , 12 points
Attack - 93/100
Defence - 61/100

#5 - Saugeais
- 4 wins and a draw - 13 points
Attack - 73/100
Defence - 78/100

#6 - Mapletish
- 4 wins and a defeat - 12 points
Attack - 78/100
Defence - 80/100

#7 - Polar Islandstates
- 3 wins,2 draws - 11 points
Attack - 78/100
Defence - 62/100

#8 - Falconfar
Attack - 73/100
Defence - 62/100

#9 - The Kiaser Colonies
Attack - 69/100
Defence - 61/100

#10 - West Zirconia
- 3 wins,1 draw , 1 defeat 10 points
Attack - 60/100
Defence - 80/100

After recording down all the teams that have qualified for the Round Of 16,Muain Newtons stared into the night sky and yawned.
He prepared to sleep as he went to the toilet and wore his pajamas,as he flipped around his bed trying to sleep.
The Minuscule Nation Mapletish
Pop. 65,000,000 | Capital: Struggait City| Demonym: Maplish/Mapletian| Trigramme: MAP
First - WLC 24, DBC 43, XIV Winter Olympics Second - WCoH 22, RUWC 23, CR 24 Third- BoF 44, HWC 11, WCoH 20, WCoH 21, DBC 49 Fourth - U15WC9, RLWC12, CR 14
Qualified for WC 64, 66
www.unionsports.map
Proudly contributing my triumph's to the glorification of the greater whole!

Astograth
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Astograth » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 am

Third-placed nations qualified for the Round of 16
Team               Pts    GD
The Hidden Paw 10 +8 Q
The FSSO 9 +6 Q
Whirl Islands 9 +5 Q
CNCR 9 +3 Q

Kernansquillec 8 +3
Newland-America 8 +3

The draw for the knockout rounds is therefore:
Round of 16 (March 13)
R1: The Kiaser Colonies vs CNCR @ Goyaingerua Stadium, Arexa
R2: Sargossa vs West Zirconia @ The Enclave, Antiguoko
R3: Mapletish vs Erathore @ Erkolantza Stadium, Erribe
R4: Western Cuba vs Whirl Islands @ Beltzura Stadium, Basabe
R5: Astograth vs Falconfar @ Old City Stadium, Iturributa
R6: Saugeais vs The FSSO @ The Foundry, Rumiatzi
R7: Polar Islandstates vs Aquillian @ Ituraitz Sporting Ground, Ituraitz
R8: Darmen vs The Hidden Paw @ Cherketzo Arena, Urbizania

Quarterfinals (March 15)
Q1: R1 winner vs R2 winner @ Castle Hill, Gesterlake
Q2: R3 winner vs R4 winner @ Ximun Orieta Sporting Ground, Echegoyan
Q3: R5 winner vs R6 winner @ Knights' Stadium, Rumiatzi
Q4: R7 winner vs R8 winner @ Unity Stadium, Iturributa

Semifinals (March 16)
S1: Q1 winner vs Q2 winner @ Old City Stadium, Iturributa
S2: Q3 winner vs Q4 winner @ Ituraitz Sporting Ground, Ituraitz

Third Place Play-off (March 17) @ Old City Stadium, Iturributa

Final (March 18) @ Grand Duke's Stadium, Rumiatzi
Last edited by Astograth on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:47 pm

It was a bit of a suprise to see the scoreboard read 3-2 when the referee blew the wistle for the final time, but Bryan Faulkner's two goals in the first half, and Tor Tong Lee's goal in the 88th minute gave Darmen it's third win of the group stage, and entrance into the Round of 16. Tim O'Donahaue comented on the match and qualification for the Round of 16.

"Bryan Faulkner's goals really set us up for a good day. Going into the dressing room up 2-0, I just felt a sense of confidence throughout the team that this was a done deal and we were into the Knockouts. But Swartaz's two goals just after the begining of the second half were a bit disheartning. We didn't give up hope though, and when Lee scored in the 88th minute, you could feel the sigh of relief being let out by everyone on the team.

"Getting into the Round of 16 is quite an accomplishment. I think it shows that we are a good team in Rushmore, and we should be included in conversation about the top 15 Rushmori teams. Obviously we don't know who we'll be facing yet, but I think that however it is will be a good matchup. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for us to win and advance into the Quarterfinals, but beyond that, it's hard to tell.

"Getting there, (the Semifinals), would be quite an achievment for the team and the nation. I think this team is just begining what you might call a "Golden Age", and I can see us winning a few pieces of Silverware within the coming years. It most probably won't be this Copa Rushmori, or this World Cup Cycle, but soon. Soon."

Tim O'Donahaue also had to answer several questions about the upcoming World Cup Qualification campaign. He answered most of them by saying, "I always felt that making predictions about the World Cup was not the way to go. For World Cup 57, all the critics said we could finish in the top two and qualify, and for 58, they said we could win our Group. We finished fourth and fifth in our group's respectively in 57 and 58. I can say however that this campaign is looking good for us, and we'll definately try our best. But I'm not garunteeing anything just yet."

Tor Tong Lee waited patiently for five games, but he's finally bagged his hat trick. His goals in the 23rd, 57th, and 63rd minutes were only three of Darmen's five goals in the 5-4 victory over Chenkorya. It was Zach Preston who added the other two goals, as Darmen came back from a 3-1 halftime deficit.
It was Tor Tong Lee who scored the "hat trick".

Zach Preston's goals in the 46th and 70th minutes were the begining, and end, of a feroucious comeback. Tor Tong Lee's opening goal in the 23rd minute was quickly followed by three Chenkoryan strikes. Darmen's defense looked absolutely lost. It was not until Zach Preston's 46th minute goal that the back three regained some confidence. However, Chenkorya still found a way to score once more, as a Chenkoryan Midfielder scored in the 53rd minute from a set piece. Manager Tim O'Donahaue was furious with the team, and looked clearly aggitated on the sideline. Tor Tong Lee quited his superior, scoring two goals six minutes apart to put Darmen even.

"Preston's 70th minute goal is one I'll remember for a while," said O'Donahaue, "I really felt like it was one of the best goals he's scored in a while. I was very glad when he scored, and I was equally glad when our defense held up for the final twenty plus minutes and kept Chenkorya out of an attacking postition."

When O'Donahaue was asked about Darmen's Round of 16 match with the Hidden Paw, he stated, "It won't be easy, but I think we've got a good chance to advance. In my opinion The Hidden Paw *cough* doesn't exist, err, wait no, we're talking about the country arn't we. Wait, does anyone here know where it is?"

Wether O'Donahaue's confusion about The Hidden Paw is anything to be worried about remains to be seen, but the match tomorrow night will be an exciting match.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

The Kiaser Colonies
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kiaser Colonies » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Alfie: I'm gonna make it for kick off, I'm gonna make it.

The last week had been hectic for Alfie. He had proposed to his girlfriend Charlie, a result of which meant he was late for work, which led to him being forced to tell his boss about that night. Luckily for him the pervert rumours were rubbish. Mr. Winslow was exactly the opposite. At the very mention of "physical expression of love" he told Alfie he did not want to hear more and excused him with only a small warning. To add to the problem he had been late to training. Despite the coaches dissatisfaction he still held onto his starting spot for the match the next week (this week). Away in Kilbarrack, on the whole other end of the nation, the day before the Copa Rushmori match between The Kiaser Colonies and the CNCR. He had already missed the match with Valladares last week and did not want to stand his new fiancé up again. It was now 7.15 pm on Sunday and Alfie had 15 minutes to get from the airport to his house. He was on a roll this week and along with not winning the match, he had not been late for anything, yet.

Alfie: Go, go, go. Better call Charlie.

Charlie: *ringing, ringing, ringing* Hello?

Alfie: Hey Charlie it's me. It looks like I'll be on time. I haven't hit any traffic yeaooOHH COME ON!

Charlie: Hit traffic?

Alfie: The worst traffic I've ever seen here. Looks bad. I'll try going the long way, means I'll be a bit late at best but it's better than missing the whole thing. Can you keep me updated till I get back?

Charlie *sigh* Ok.

Alfie: Sorry. Bye.

Charlie: Bye Alf.

Alfie executed a fantastic U-turn in minimal space to head back to the city ring road. It would be a good 30 minutes at least before he got home but it would be quicker than the traffic. He was racing down the road when his phone rang. A text from Charlie. He glanced at it the back to the road.

Message: Neville red carded, N. Papakoi off for O'Hare, penalty to CNCR :.(

Alfie: Damn it. There couldn't have been anything more exciting to miss could there?

He was nearly there. He had just turned back into the city and was only minutes away from the house when the phone rang again. It was Igor.

Alfie: Hey Igor what's up?

Igor: Alf, bad news. It's Duggan, he's been hospitalised.

Alfie: What? How? What happened?

Igor: He's been beaten up, badly. Come quickly but don't tell Charlie, he doesn't want her to know.

Alfie: But she's his sister, she deserves to know.

Igor: He told me to tell you. I need to go.

Alfie didn't know what to do. He didn't want to leave Charlie think he ditched her. He didn't want to go against Ronan's wishes but he felt he had no choice. He sent a message.

Message: Charlie, Ronan's been taken to hospital. Come quick.

Straight after he sent it a message from Charlie came through. It was another update. It was too early for her to have replied and it did not seem appropriate for the time. Never the less he felt compelled to look.

Winner of Rugby World Cup 18 and R7WC 2.
Host of Rugby League World Cup XVII

Hosted: Domestic leagues, Rugby League World Cup XVII

Advanced passed groups/qualifiers: Rugby World Cup 17 (Quarter-finals), Copa Rushmori VI, Rugby World Cup 18, R7WC 2, Beach Cup 13, 9th GCF World Twenty20, Rugby League World Cup XVII (Quarter-finals)

3rd Copa Rushmori VI, Beach Cup 13
2nd None
1st Rugby World Cup 18, Rugby 7's World Cup 2, gold medal men's doubles badminton at one iteration of the Olympics.

Australian and proud!

Socialist States Owen
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist States Owen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:55 pm

The Emplor on Sunday
It's sport report! QPEMA set piece horror show helps FSSO ease to win

Arexa's Goyaingerua Stadium (19,710 attendance)

QUEER POCO EL MONO ARA - 2
Unknown 23'
Unknown 45'

FSSO - 5
Paranaya 5'
Kane 51'
McCroft 62' 89'
Needle 70(Pen)'

A series of farcical defensive manuvers by QPEMA at FSSO set pieces handed FSSO a comfortable victory after a decievingly close game.

The FSSO took an early lead from Kieran Kane's whipped corner which went in via a well timed far post header from an unmarked Julesk Paranaya. FSSO looked good value for their lead early on as they continued to push forward and Sam Needle was unlucky not to earn a penalty just before the opposition equaliser, after a blatant shove by a QPEMA defender. However, the referee dismissed the penalty appeal and QPEMA surged back up the pitch on the counterattack. Nick Feeny was caught out by the height of a QPEMA striker who jumped to meet a long ball from the back, and he capitalised on Feeny's short nature by strolling into the box and shooting under Simon Neeson.

Neeson had a poor game and was responsible for another goal just before half time. A QPEMA corner was headed towards goal by one of their players, and Neeson duly buggered it up! The ball came right at him but went straight through his hands and into the net. While FSSO went into half time and the fans worried for Neeson's confidence, no-one could have expected what happened next. The second half started lethargicaly and FSSO equalised with a simple set piece manuver, thanks to some very poor QPEMA defending. James McCroft laid off a 30 yard free kick to Kieran Kane with a simple pass, who jogged into the box - unopposed by a stunned defence - and tucked the ball in at the near post.

Only ten minutes later they had the lead. McCroft this time went for a shot in a free kick from the same position, but could only fire it at stomach level against the wall. However the wall split rather pathetically, allowing the weak shot to go through the defence and into the goal without the goalkeeper even moving. Soon after it was 2-4 and game over after a third and final defensive cock up - McCroft fired in yet another free kick and an unmarked Sam Needle was bundled over by the goalkeeper, who was booked. Needle took penalty duty as usual and fired home with an unsaveable curling penalty. From then the game was dead, but the FSSO managed to add some gloss to the victory with a late 20 yard strike from James McCroft, following some nice build up play outside the box.

Man of the Match: James McCroft
The Emplor on Sunday
It's sport report! Cubans snatch fortunate point

Echegoyan's Ximun Orieta Sporting Ground (33,140)

WESTERN CUBA - 1
Mendoza 82’

FSSO - 1
Fessner 8’

FSSO were unlucky not to come away with qualification in the bag after a late goal.

The Fuzz took the lead in style through a Paul Fessner wonder goal. Fessner, who hasn’t started for the FSSO for a while, scored with a glorious scissor kick from 17 yards as he fell from a failed header attempt. This act of improvisation was due as the FSSO dominated the first half, almost scoring again when John Buckson hit the bar with a free kick. The second half was more even but Cuba equalised with a well worked, albeit undeserved goal from Elgardo Mendoza. However Daniel Belgrave was unlucky to concede this, after a very good second half performance making several key saves.

Man of the Match: Daniel Belgrave
-
The Emplor on Sunday
It's sport report! Belgrave cemented in legend after last minute heroics

Arexa's Goyaingerua Stadium (20,072 attendance)

FSSO - 3
Xavier 19’
Sharp 78’
Belgrave 90+4’

AQUILLIAN - 3
Mohammed 2’
Rogers 37’
Quiroz 41’

Aquillian coach Alfredo Herrera leads an attacking side. So does FSSO manager Ben Randall. However, neither of them could have known it would come down to the heroics of a goalkeeper – in front of the opposite goal.

The game started badly for the FSSO as Aquillian scored with their first foray forward, as Omar Mohammed latched on to a Eusebio Chavez long ball and headed the ball over Daniel Belgrave. However this game was a two way thriller and the FSSO quickly responded as Simon Xavier blasted home from the edge of the box following a Josh Stevenson cutback from his run down the left. Yet in the 37th minute the FSSO were behind again as defender Nathan Rogers headed home from a corner. Soon things got even worse as Iago Quiroz latched on to a Chavez long ball and tucked the ball past Belgrave, who was let down by a slow reacting defence.

At this point things looked bad for the FSSO, who went into half time outplayed and out of breath. At half time, however, Lee Sharp was introduced in place of Scott Daley, who had little impact on how the first half panned out. Sharp was inspirational as usual on the big stage, completely turning the game on its head, bringing the FSSO back into the game with a remarkable goal. He charged down a loose ball in the corner of the pitch with twelve minutes left after Aquillian defender Rogers let it roll for a goal kick. Sharp brought it back inside, cutting past Rogers and Ambrosio Alvarez before rifling the ball into the net from 25 yards at a tight angle.

The stage was now set for a fantastic comeback, and all the FSSO needed to qualify via 3rd place pooling was an equaliser. They pressed forward but as stoppage time came to a close it seemed all over – until a poor Chavez clearance resulted in a corner. Daniel Belgrave rushed up for this final chance and dived perfectly to meet the in-swinging corner, sending the ball flying into the top corner. As the FSSO fans burst into raptures (and some managed to break the steward line and ran onto the pitch), Belgrave celebrated a famous goal much akin to Jerry Watchman’s volley against Sameba in the infamous 1994 Euran Friendly.

Bring on Saugeais in the round of sixteen!

Man of the Match: Daniel Belgrave (Of course)
---NOTE--- Do not use my nation name. In RP, my nation is known simply as Eura, denonym Euran.
World Cup 60 Runner Up
Cup of Harmony 51 Runner Up
Market Cup I Winner
Next Generation Trophy Winner

- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=167860 Buy the MBT-8H now! The best budget MT tank!
- viewtopic.php?p=7688458#p7688458 < Awarded the prestigious Order of Beast (Second Class) by his lordship Abruzi.
- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=188514&p=10072065#p10072065 Best song ever. Of all time.

Falconfar
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Falconfar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm

OOC: And with the last correspondence ends my "Correspondence" section of the CR and DBC... Shifting to a new angle...

The Locker Room
After the 1-1 Draw against Polar Islandstates

Ju-Iro Tanawasi was known as a drill sergeant back home in Falconfar, but unknown to many, he had a soft place for his players when they left their heart and soul out there on the field. As the band of exhausted players filed into the locker room after a 1-1 draw against Polar Islandstates, he suddenly started to clap. The sound of his hands meeting and creating noise startled many in the quiet room, but then the other members of the coaching staff joined in, until there was applause and sounds of cheering. The players grinned and had content looks on their faces as they sat down.

"That was beautiful, wonderful work out there," stated Ju-Iro, "The Terns are a damned good team, and for us newcomers to hang with them for the full time and come away with a tie, and getting past the group stage of this competition with no loss... That's impressive work. Finishing in second place due to one goal difference is even more impressive... But before I go any further on the match, I have someone who would like to speak to you."

On cue, the room went black, and a screen came down. The image of the Queen appeared.

"Hello, Imperials! Congratulations on your advancement in the Copa Rushmori VIII! We are all proud of you back home, representing our nation so well despite the conditions regarding the Space Bridge. Rest assured that I will be talking to the Citiz officials about that situation, and hope that the issue will be resolved soon.

Whether you win the tournament or not, our nation is proud of you. The next World Cup, we will eagerly await your try at the Baptism of Fire and the World Cup, but you still have some more ball to play. So go knock them dead, Imperials, and have fun out there!"

Ju-Iro continued on, "Theodore Merrysing. You've come a long ways, my young man, and I do not look forward to facing you next season." The room was filled with laughter, for the Manvero Heroes were a team in Tier A as well as Ju-Iro's Defenders. "You've really blossomed, and although that goal by Bru was scored, you had a fantastic game... And Timo Skye didn't score."

"Loria," Ju-Iro stated, "You're amazing. That goal... All the goals you've been scoring... No wonder the Thunder do so well..."

"No matter who we face next... Let us bask in the fact that we did so well. After that Newland game... I was worried, but you've really come together as a team. Good job, all. Great job. Now get some rest, we'll know the playoff draws soon enough."

The players left the room, proud of themselves, of how they'd done, but also knowing that the hardest parts were still ahead of them.

To: Ish-Nal Ju-Iro Tanawasi, Coach of the National Team
Subject: Information Concerning Astograth

Astograth is your opponent for the Round of 16 in the Copa Rushmori VIII. Although their national team isn't playing in this one, they still have some amazing players in it, and they are not a side to be underestimated. Key players include Formerio Iturralde, Aintza Lekea and Abdoulaye Bocandé. They won three games and drew two in group play, and won group 1. With the nation basking in their first major world competition win in the 50th edition of the Cup of Harmony, Astograth is flying high in the world of international football right now, and the tide doesn't' seem like it'll ebb soon. Be careful when playing them, but they are an honorable side, so relish the opportunity!

To: The Government of Civil Citizenry
Subject: Space Bridge

Friends,

First, I'd like to thank you again for agreeing to let the Space Bridge be built next to your border. You were the first Rushmori Nation to give us permission, and for that, we are forever grateful. However, we have heard alarming reports about what has been occurring in your nation, and hereby, I, the Queen of Falconfar, propose a solution:

I am willing to pay the government of Civil Citizenry for the upkeep of the Space Bridge and for keeping it safe. It is my hope that the concept of profiting from the Space Bridge will appeal to your citizens and ease any worries about the government meddling in business that would hurt it. To make sure that such an arrangement would be favorable, I, the Queen of Falconfar, am willing to pay the Citiz Government 110% of the projected cost in order that 10% will be pure profit to the nation of Civil Citizenry. Here is what I ask:

1. That all Falconfarians be allowed access through the Space Bridge;
2. That all Falconfarians/non Falconfarians who try to access the Bridge be checked for weapons/illegal merchandise at the Citiz Border;
3. That all Falconfarians/non Falconfarians who do cross over be told that they will be subjected to another search by Falconfarian Officials before being sent through;
4. That living accommodations be provided for a full-time contingent of ten Imperial Military Personnel to guard the Space Bridge at all times;
5. That every month, the Citiz Government will bill the Imperial Government of that month's expenses +10%, plus any special expenses that occurred;
6. That the Citiz Government inform the Imperial Government of any sudden changes in Government policy/Rushmori policy concerning Falconfar if required;
7. That the Citiz Government broadcasts to its citizens that anyone trying to harm the Space Bridge will be considered a criminal, subject to be judged under Imperial Law;
8. That every Imperial Citizen who makes it past the border of Civil Citizenry to the Space Bridge be considered in Imperial territory, where they may seek asylum;
9. That the Citiz Government will inform the Imperial Government of any trespasses made by an Imperial citizen before the Imperial citizen is judged by any Citiz Court;
And finally,
10. That the Citiz Government will inform the Imperial Government of any clauses that should be added onto this list.

I hope that this will be satisfactory to you and your peoples, and that we will be able to mutually benefit from each other while building a relationship, a friendship, that will last deep into the future.

May the stars watch over you,

Islandil Dratognu
Her Majesty,
Queen of Falconfar
Last edited by Falconfar on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Puppet of Chromatika
Currently another Northern Sunrise Islands puppet

Ancharmunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancharmunn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:30 pm

The Blue Star Courier

Rushmore excited by mysterious star

As the Copa Rushmori moves onto the knockout phases Ancharmunn's participation in the tournament has come to an end. That however hasn't stopped one of the most exciting developments of the tournament having a distinct Charmunnry flavour to it however. Over Ancharmunn's five games one player in particular caught the eye, scoring half of Ancharmunn's six goals in the tournament, including the winner in the 1-0 victory over Mytannion. He also set up a further two, leaving just one of Ancharmunn's goal lacking any direct input from him. Despite all this no one knows who we really is.

With Ancharmunn having failed to publicly declare their squad for the tournament many foreigners have struggled with identifying Charmunnry players, but even those within the national set up admit to being unsure of the identity of their new star.

“He came to our attention as having Tynealan ancestry shortly before the tournament.” claimed manager Paul Andrew, “He was basically a stray off the street so we're not sure where he's from or who he is. When we had him for a training season though it was unanimous that we should put him in the Copa Rushmori squad and he's gone to that tournament and been a revelation.”

He further went on to state “We've not really got much of an idea who he is, he's a very quiet lad and has been reluctant to reveal much. We don't even know his name, though most of the lads are calling him Gary for now. We're certain he has some sort of Tynealan background though.”

Such a talent has unsurprisingly sent scouts into a frenzy with a number of the biggest clubs around Rushmore said to be interested in signing the new sensation, though the Cumann Sacair an Tearmann (CAT), in all likelihood with a degree of self-interest, has looked to quash talk of a move abroad.

Paul McMillan, CAT's Head of National Development told reporters “From what we can tell 'Gary's' lead something of a nomadic life thus far, never having settled anywhere. It would be in his best interest to settle somewhere and make a home for himself, something he'd been beginning to do in Ancharmunn. A move abroad would only lead to further upheaval for him. We're therefore looking to get him Charmunnry citizenship and naturally a number of clubs in the National Soccer League are interested in signing him as he's a superb player.”

Whilst the mysterious new star wasn't able to take Ancharmunn further than the group stage of the Copa Rushmori the tournament is looking to be far from a disappointment for the Rushmori newcomers. Captain Tiarnán Ó Beolláin hailed the event as a step in the development of football within the nation saying, “It's our début in the tournament so I don't think much was expected of us. For our standing I think we've played to a decent standard and can learn from the experience.”

Ó Beolláin then went on to dismiss claims that Ancharmunn had failed to publicly declare it's squad as part of a ploy to confuse opposition sides stating, “I know it made things tricky for some, particularly those watching and reporting on the tournament, but is it that hard to find the squad list we released for the World Cup qualifiers and assume that it'd largely be the same?”
I'm not on the Greenwich Meridian so my time is a few seconds behind. Bear that in mind.

Western cuba
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western cuba » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Havana Tribute

Western Cuba v.s. Whirl Islands

Jorge Ramirez

Today is the big day, after 5 games in the Group Stage the battle begins. Who will take home the Copa Rushmori? In Western Cuba's debut they may have a chance. In their way however is the Whirl Islands. Who is no easy foe, ranked 62nd in the world the Whirl Islands are quite a confrontation to face off against.

Edgardo Mendoza, Western Cuba's golden boy is quite optimistic about the upcoming match and the rest of the tournament.

" It all starts tonight, were going to go in play hard and get a hard fought win for all of Western Cuba. "

And it does start tonight, be sure to watch tonight's game on WCSN along with the other Round of 16 games. Whirl Islands vs. Western Cuba, it's going to be quite a match. Before you put down the paper though, read the bottom of the article. I have my predictions for every match, if you want to skim to my prediction on Western Cuba though it's on the bottom of the page.

47The Kiaser Colonies v.s. Continental Rushmore

The Kiaser Colonies have had a pretty good Copa Rushmori so far. Led by Greg Jackson, the 37 year old manager. The Kiaser Colonies have posted a 3-2-0 record. Continental Rushmore also known as CNCR was the very last team to make the tournament. Beating out Kernansquillec and Newland-America by 1 point.

While any given day any team can win, I have to pick the Kiaser Colonies to advance to the Quarterfinals. It would be a shock to be if CNCR advances past the Kiaser Colonies. I see a 3-1 victory for the Kiaser Colonies.

60Sargossa v.s. West Zirconia

I have to give much deserved credit to West Zirconia. Their manager, Chris Irwin died during World Cup Qualifiers. My condolences to his family, and the whole West Zirconia National Team. Ben Phillips has stepped up though and West Zirconia has played well so far. They finished second in Group F behind the Kiaser Colonies and posted a 3-1-1 record, similar to Western Cubas. They even beat 6th ranked Krytenia 3 to 1. The only drawback to that is Krytenia didn't perform well in the Copa Rushmori.

In West Zirconia's way though is a very good 60th ranked in the world Sargossa team. Led by Brutušam Erassi they finished a solid second in Group C, only behind a tough Darmen team. Both team's are good however I have to give the advantage to Sargossa. As much as I would like West Zirconia to win Sargossa seems more dominating on paper and on the field. I'll be a close one but I see a 3-2 victory.

77Mapletish v.s. 21Erathore

Here is our first ranked match in the Round of 16. Led by Muain Newtons, Mapletish has secured a second place finish in Group D. Finishing only behind Saugeais, and having a very good record of 4-0-1 for second place.

Erathore for being 21st in the world has played lower than expected. Sure they also had Astograth, Mangolana, and Homelands Our in their Group but I would of thought they would post a 4-1-0 record or a 4-0-1. It kind of shocked me seeing Erathore post a 3-0-2.

Therefore I feel that Mapletish will advance to the Quarterfinals. Mapletish is on a hot streak while Erathore seems to be having a mediocre performance. I'll be a close game but Mapletish will win 2-1.

22Astograth v.s. Falconfar

Not only is Astograth the 22nd ranked team in the world, they also have home field advantage. Ju-Iro Tanawasi's squad, the Falconfar National Team is even in performance with Astograth so far in the 8th Copa Rushmori.

However though in the end I think that Astograth is going to have the advantage. Tonight when Astograth faces off against Falconfar that stadium is going to be packed with Astograth fans. I think that the National Team of Astograth is going to feel more comfortable because of this compared to Falconfar.

It's going to be an interesting and close Round of 16 match up, Astograth will manage to advance to the Quarterfinals through a 2-0 victory.

38Saugeais v.s. 49The FSSO

For some reason this game besides the Whirl Islands v.s. Western Cuba game will be next on my priority list to watch. While the FSSO's record isn't as amazing as Saugeais's record. The FSSO is 2-3-0 and Saugeais is 4-1-0, both teams haven't lost yet which makes this so interesting. As one of them will have to lose tonight. Even if it goes past regular time it will elapse into extra time and perhaps into the infamous penalty kicks.

On paper Iarlaith Mag Aonghusa's team looks to be the better one. However though I like the FSSO national team and this one is tough to make. I can see both of these teams winning and it's hard to pick who I think is going to win.

In the end though I picked Saugeais, first off it's the safest pick, and second off it's no doubt that Saugeais has been the better team so far in the Copa Rushmori. After all they have a better record than the FSSO. It's going to be a tough game, in the end however Saugeais will come up on top in end though I'm not to sure on a score. It might be regular time, extra time, PK's I have no clue.

3Polar Islandstates v.s. Aquillian

Looking on paper I pity Aquillian. Polar Islandstates is the 3rd best team in the world and according to records the best team in Rushmore. After thinking about it though, I don't as much. Aquillian only scored one less point than Polar Islandstates in the Group Stage. Sol Kirkkegaard's team only won his Group Stage due to Goal Difference. I expected much more out of Polar Islandstates and they have fell below expectations in my eyes in this Copa Rushmori.

After thinking about it Polar Islandstates should come up on top even though they've been only performing mediocre in my eyes. After all mediocre for the Polar Islandstates is still good in terms of other nations. However though if they play like they did in the Group Stage it's going to be hard for me not to predict them losing in the Quarterfinals.

70Darmen v.s. The Hidden Paw

Tim O'Donahaue's team in my opinion has played the best so far in this Copa Rushmori. (Along with Saugeais) Darmen has a 4-1-0 record and I think their on a hot streak and not cooling down any time soon. The Hidden Paw is a decent time with a 3-1-1 record and a third place finish in Group D. A tough group including Saugeais and Mapletish.

However though Darmen should have no problem finishing off The Hidden Paw. In fact I've made a bet with my friend, a fellow journalist at the Havana Tribute that I'll shave my head if Darmen loses. Hopefully Darmen doesn't decide to cool down till at least the 90 minutes are up and their ahead by at least 1 point against the Hidden Paw.

62Whirl Islands v.s. 84Western Cuba

And here is the preview and prediction that most of you are holding the paper for. The Whirl Islands v.s. Western Cuba game. Jean-Claude Vermillion's Whirl Islands were the second last team to make it into the Round of 16. They played in Group F in which West Zirconia and Krytenia surprised us all. West Zirconia finished second, and Krytenia had disaster and finished second lsat ahead of lonely Albertasby with only 2 points.

The Whirl Islands performance in Group F doesn't either amaze me or disappoint me. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't good also. Sadly I have to say the same to Western Cuba. Now I know many of you are angry at me saying that but think it over before you come to torch my house down. Our group strength wise wasn't too hard. Queer Poco el Mono Ara the big ranked team in the Group finished in last place! They only recorded one victory and were beat 5-0 by Baltskandio. Western Cuba's high in this group is probably beating Aquillian and tying to the FSSO. Which isn't much.

If Western Cuba is to truly succeeded in their first debut in the Copa Rushmori they need to have a win tonight against the Whirl Islands. I don't care that they won Group B I want an quarterfinal performance to be truly impressed.

Therefore I bring up my prediction in the end Western Cuba will win a close one. Probably around a score of 1-0 just like the other games in Group B. They need to step it up though if they want a Copa Rushmori Championship.
Last edited by Western cuba on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Now known as the Technological State of Adros, the successor state of Western Cuba

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm

ImageUnderdogs...

So we're through. That's good. I mena, obviously I'd rather we'd have done it with a little more control and a few more in the goals scored column, not least against Falconfar and Civil Citizenry, but you can't win them all I guess. I should be able to, but for some reason the team just can't keep focused for ninety minutes. Nothing to do with that miss. Shut up. I said it was nothing to do with that.

Anyway, we now face Aquillian, something we've never done as a team, at least I don't think so. I do know they're fresh from playing in that Cuppet thing though, and you know, they can't be that good, surely? I've seen that tournament, full of little teams from I don't know where, Djocoranga play in it, I know that much, and Kwame Traore is about the only good footballer they've ever produced. Actually, didn't Terra Scotia play in it this time around? That's a state. I mean, if they can't win a tournament that mere states of the Federation are entering then they shouldn't be too tough for us to get past, right? Right?

Well, you'd think so, but we've got an odd relationship going on with underdogs at the moment here in the Terns. We loved being them, obviously. Two consecutive semi final appearances, nobody was expecting those. Until of course, they were expecting it, and then we couldn't perform. Losing, drawing, even getting hammered by the underdogs, I don't think anyone here is going to forgive and forget that 6-0 against Akbarabad anytime soon. Wounds like that are going to take some time to heal , definitely.

Which is why we're not taking Aquillian lying down, not even slightly. They might have leaked plenty of goals, yeah, and Alexsandr and I have been working on a few things that you might not have seen before in that respect, and they might not have sailed through unbeaten like a few of the other teams have done, no. But, they still scored an astonishing seventeen goals in just five games in a group containing the formidable defences of Western Cuba and the FSSO, as well as the might of Baltskandio, Megadia, and international heavyweights Queer Poco el Mono Ara. These guys are clearly good at surprising the established order to score goals, and, well, we're not exactly known for not conceding here.

Iulian is going to have to set himself up for a long afternoon of winning the ball in the centre of defence. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a tactical change. I'm no expert, but a 3-3-1-3 is going to mean an awful lot of pressing and pressure from them all over the pitch. Ours is a 4-2-3-1, and I think our "2" is going to have to sit pretty deep to counteract their "3" and their "1". We'll see though. They'll be fired up, and who can blame them?

Some of the squad, the younger ones, I'm guessing, are going to come into the match thinking we've got it in the bag. On the one hand, yeah there are definitely other teams I'm glad to have avoided in the draw. On the other hand, that is dangerous thinking, and I am going to have to put my captain's armband on to have a word with them about that. Yes, I wear it in training, so what? I was going to wear it to yesterday's press conference over my suit as well but Sol wouldn't let me, spoilsport. I am also neither confirming nor denying the rumours spread by a certain room-mate that may or may not find his possessions on the hotel roof by tomorrow morning that I sleep and shower with it on. But yeah, defeintly so leadership called for. I'm an experienced guy, I can do this. I think.

I used to love being on the side of the underdog. Even way back in the Burchadinger Cup, who was expecting us to beat Jeruselem to get to the final? I was, obviously, but that's different. They certainly weren't, and that's key. Were they expecting me to pop up, undetected, and start hammering shots away at their goal? No. They bloody well should have been, I mean, I'm Timo Skye, I dunno what else they were expecting... But it can never be overstated, the element of surprise, and at the very least you should always avoid underestimating it. That's what I do. That's what I've been practising, and that's what I'm going to be doing against Aquillian next match. No way am I letting things get as far as relying on a substitute midfielder fresh from the mid-table to score our goals like happened against Falconfar. I like Bru, but its not his job to be scoring goals, it's mine. And I take it pretty seriously, thank you very much.

So if you're reading this, Aquillianians... Aquillis. Aquillianos.... Aquillinis. Aquillinans. Aquills? Aquillish?

People from Aquillian.

If you're reading this, people of Aquillian, don't think that we're not prepared for you. We've studied your tapes. We've checked your moves. We've clocked the ways you moves, the shapes you pull, and the excuses you use. We know your gaps. We know your weaknesses, and we'll be ready for you. You watch. Don't expect to come to us playing the poor old peasant that's never played the game before, we know your game, and it doesn't wash with us. Not. One. Bit.

Of course, they do resent the guys from Osarius, and I can sympathise with them on that. Those bitter creeps never got over our totally legit playoff win for WC57...

Skye out.
The True Valhallan Federation of Polar Islandstates - Pop. 51,500,000
Capital: Franz Josef City - Demonym: Valhallan (Polarian) - Trigramme: PIS
sportnyheter.vu - Ides of March Cup
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Astograth
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Astograth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Here is your first cutoff of the knockouts rounds. Astograth vs Falconfar to be scorinated later by Civil Citizenry.

Round of 16 Results
The Kiaser Colonies 1–3 CNCR
Sargossa 3–0 West Zirconia
Mapletish 1–2 Erathore
Western Cuba 2–0 Whirl Islands
Astograth 1-2 Falconfar
Saugeais 2–1 The FSSO
Polar Islandstates 7–2 Aquillian
Darmen 3–0 The Hidden Paw

Quarterfinals are therefore:
Q1: CNCR vs Sargossa @ Castle Hill, Gesterlake
Q2: Erathore vs Western Cuba @ Ximun Orieta Sporting Ground, Echegoyan
Q3: Falconfar vs Saugeais @ Knights' Stadium, Rumiatzi
Q4: Polar Islandstates vs Darmen @ Unity Stadium, Iturributa
Last edited by Astograth on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Civil Citizenry
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Civil Citizenry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:43 am

Astograth 1-2 Falconfar

Sargossa
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 08, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Sargossa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Continued from somewhere. Probably here

". . . you can see the change in the side already. Erassi has instilled a passion and desire which were noticeably lacking under his predecessor. And twenty two goals scored in just six games suggests his attacking instincts are also taking root..."

Popular radio show Sports Chat continued its Copa Rushmori dissection largely unnoticed as Soluca detective Alejandro Reyes sat in his darkened office, glaring at a computer monitor. Two days had passed since his encounter in the coroner's lab but he simply couldn't let the matter lay. A girl had died, alone and scared. And someone had to be brought to account. Technically someone would be brought to account but whoever he was, Reyes was certain, he wasn't guilty of this. He was a scapegoat, most likely some disillusioned soul whose only crime had been to speak out once too often.

Reyes though had a fat lot of nothing to go on. The investigation had been shut down almost as soon as it had begun. He had no body, his notes had vanished, his pertinent computer files had been wiped. He had, to put it bluntly, squat. With one exception. He still had a photo. One single photo of a dead girl who deserved justice. He scanned it into the police database and hit the button. [[Access Denied]]. His fist came down onto the desk top with a thud. He hit the button again. [[Access Denied]]. He took another picture at random from a filing cabinet and scanned it in. This time pages of potential matches were thrown up by the recognition software. He tried the first picture again. [[Access Denied]].

". . . certainly Falconfar have shown themselves to be no mugs with that hugely impressive win over the hosts but, for me, the match between goal happy Darmen and the in-form Polarians is unquestionably the tie of the round. . ."

Reyes vainly tried to massage away some of the pain throbbing in his temples. He was being beaten. And he knew why. The day before he had taken the picture back to the Barracuda to have the barmaid Elena, seemingly his one and only witness, confirm that this was indeed the girl she had seen driving off in the passenger seat of a certain sports car on that fateful night. She was emphatic, it was. And therein lay the problem. There was the root of the entire cover-up. For only one man was vain enough to roam the streets of the Sargossan capital in so gaudy a vehicle, Luís Armando Delgado, eldest son of Joaquín José Delgado, President and undisputed master of the Sargossan nation and its territories. Delgado junior had long been notorious around the city as a drug addled playboy but more recently rumours abounded about his darker peccadilloes.

Rumours, as Reyes was discovering, were often rooted in truth. But what could he do as the security agencies of the state itself systemically erased all traces of any and all crimes committed by the man seen as the next ruler of Sargossa? It was a dangerous game Reyes was playing, he knew that. And he was playing it alone. He hadn't seen Sergeant Moreno since the lab incident and Dr Soldado was also conspicuous by her recent absence. Not that Reyes could blame them. Those who found themselves on the wrong side of the Delgado regime usually found themselves in Torquemada. Possibly the most notorious prison complex in the entire region, if there were a hell on this Earth then Torquemada it could be. Conditions were appalling, fear and violence reigned supreme in that hall of nightmares. Thousands toiled in its mines and workshops, like some throwback to a darker age. But it wasn't all so medieval as stories seeped out of underground laboratories in which the endurance of the human body was tested to its limits and beyond. With the inmates as deeply unwilling test subjects. These stories were dismissed as crackpot conspiracy theories. But you couldn't help but wonder. Foreign observers labelled Torquemada a hideous disgrace, the government claimed it was the reason the nation's crime rates were so low. Needless to say, it was somewhere best avoided.

". . . so it's a fourth successive appearance in the last eight for Sargossa but, with defeats at this stage at the last two tournaments, the question is can the Corsairs break their quarter final hoodoo?"

The door to the office burst open, shattering Reyes' reverie. Sergeant Moreno stood in the doorway, a bundle of nervous energy. "Captain, you're not going to believe this. I think i've found a lead. You are seriously going to want to speak to this guy."

"What?" Reyes stared at him incredulously. "Where have you been?"

"I'll explain later. Come on, we need to go right now!"
Champions: Cup of Harmony 41 / Di Bradini Cup 13 / Copa Rushmori V / Copa Rushmori XIV / Copa Rushmori XX / Copa Rushmori XXXVIII / Copa Rushmori XXXIX
Sargossa at the Olympics

" . . . those dictatorship-loving thundertwats . . ."

Western cuba
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western cuba » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Havana Tribute

On to The Quarterfinals!

Jorge Ramirez

Western Cuba has proved themselves, well at least in my opinion. The National Team scored a huge win yesterday against 62nd ranked Whirl Islands. Too bad only the World Cup determines the rankings. After seeing Western Cuba play yesterday I think they deserve a top 50. Maybe even top 25. I was that impressed by our performance.

Almost everything went perfect yesterday, the defense stood firm and did not falter at any point in the match while the offense constantly put pressure on the Whirl Islands defense and put shot after shot on Ryan Nixon. Who in my opinion was the player of the game for the Whirl Islands. If it wasn't for his effort I think the game would of been a blow-out.

If you were a fool and didn't watch yesterday's match Edgardo Mendoza (No Surprise), and Cayo Vargas both scored a goal. In fact that brings me to my next point, yesterday's game was the most televised soccer event since the 50's and hundreds of millions watched the game. (Western Cuba has a population of 800 million around).

So in my opinion even though the national team's mission in the Copa Rushmori isn't over yet they have already achieved a lot. Not only did they advance to the Quarterfinals, they also have aided in making soccer even more popular in Western Cuba. Once a sport less popular than table tennis, (thanks to the communist regime), now soccer has emerged as one of the top 5 most popular sports in Western Cuba. Therefore I thank every player and official that has been involved with the National Team at some point in Western Cuba's recent history. If it wasn't for you we wouldn't be where we are at today.

Now before you put the paper down I have two things to say. Make sure to watch tonight's game against Erathore and read my Quarterfinal predictions. They are not in depth like my Round of 16 predictions but their something still worthy to look at.

Continental Rushmore v.s. 60Sargossa

Sargossa advances

21Erathore v.s. 84Western Cuba

Western Cuba advances

Falconfar v.s. 38Saugeais

Saugeais advances

3Polar Islandstates v.s. 70Darmen

Darmen advances

Last edited by Western cuba on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:54 pm

The Darmeni National Team left the pitch, listening to the thousands of fans present at the match. A clear majority were cheering for Darmen following it's victory over The Hidden Paw, 3-0, in the Round of 16 at the Eigth Edition of the Copa Rushmori. The win sets up a Quarterfinal Match between Darmen and Polar Islandstates. It will be the first time the All Greens will face the Terns.

Darmen began the match against The Hidden Paw very conservatively, testing the defense. Soon, it was very apparent that The Hidden Paw did have holes in it's defense. Despite the fact that all eleven of The Hidden Paws players were Ursines, the Darmeni players played with a ton of courage that has never been seen in a match before. In the 17th minute it was Luca Cormio who made an amazing sliding tackle against Anddurr Sable. No one is quite sure how he did it, but Cormio then stood up, and sprinted past the defense, to score the matches first goal.

From then on, the match was domintated by The Hidden Paw, who controlled the ball 66% of the time during the entirety of the match. Despite this, Goalkeeper Troy Osborne turned in a fantastic performance in goal, making 10 saves. So you're probably wondering how Darmen bagged it's final two goals in the match. The key to the match was fouls and the Free Kicks that took place afterwards.

Zach Preston was the first player to be followed as he was squashed between Ethbahr Nevermore and Jamz Bland in the 64th minute. Tor Tong Lee took the free kick, curling the set piece past Pait'hurr Storm. In the 87th minute, Skorth ThunderBear fouled Bryan Fualkner as Faulkner tried to make a run past The Hidden Paws' defense. It was Dan Baker who took the quick quick, passing to an open Danny Beasley, whose shot sailed past Storm for the third and final goal of the match.

Now Darmen will have to face a tough Polar Islandstates. In what could possibly be Timo Skye's last appearence at the International Level, Darmen will be put to the test. Manager Tim O'Donahaue commented on the match, saying, "Of course we want to win and advance, but I would be quite happy even if we did lose to the Terns. We've made farther than I thought we would, and we'll see if we can advance even further."

When asked about the possibility of the match being Skye's last, Tor Tong Lee comented, "He's definately one of the greatest players ever. I've looked up to him as someone to be like. His attitude is superb(wait what?), and his skills are better than mine. I certainly hope he scores against us, just as long as we score more than the Tern's do. But on the contrary, I wouldn't mind helping Osborne claim a clean sheet, so we'll see."
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports