NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 58 RP Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:13 pm

A smokey pub, Khaldoon, Queer Poco el Mono Ara. A handful of napkins had been splayed out onto the table, upon which sat Jeremy Jaffacake's laptop computer, long since closed to make way for conversation with the people around him.

To his left, one Rubio Sanchez; young, keen, a great knowledge of football and a surprise gig covering his Krytenian national team's World Cup journey for his Emberton Post newspaper, for which Jeremy too had secured a job, by equally unexpected means.

To his right, a thirty-something hack from Krytie tits'n'tattle tabloid rag 'The Cy'Un' by the rather innocuous and unimaginitive nickname of 'Scoop'. "Call me scoop" had, indeed, been the journo's first words to Jeremy, who had thus taken an instant dislike to him. His match reports were shoddy, too, employing the trad hack tactic of hyping up a player regardless of whether their performances were good or mediocre, and remorselessly lambasting them when they had one bad game. Bad standards of reporting weren't the only reason that the name 'Cy'un' raised bile into the throat of Audioslavia's best (and, now, only) sports journalist; one Rameses Niblick III was high up in the sports department, and the two of them had history. Oh boy did they have history.

It had started way back in 2018 - the time of World Cup 26. Rami had been kicking around the scene for ten years and was making his name in Krytenia. Jeremy had been around for a hundred years - there were plenty of explanations why Jeremy had only aged forty years in the two centuries between World Cup 6 and World Cup 58. Jeremy's favourite, when he wasn't in the mood to give the stasis/dreamedrealm/cryogenic explanation, was that 'time travels slower in a plot hole' - and the two of them were both up for the 'Pun Writer of the Year' award. Jeremy, expecting an easy victory to go with his previous trophies, had been dismayed to find Rameses receiving the award and, if that wasn't bad enough, not particularly caring aboutit . That PWotYa had been the one reason for Jeremy to get up, most mornings, and lose the trophy in what turned out to be the final year of it being awarded was painful.

The two of them still hadn't properly crossed paths by the time The 2022 World Cup came around, and probably wouldn't have met at all were it not for Jeremy's short temper. upon reading about Krytenia's victory over Spaam and seeing the headling 'Wham, Bam, Thank You Spaam' - similar to a headline Jeremy had written years ago - Jeremy had picked up the phone, found Rami's number and called him a couple of rude words, one of which was 'plagiarist'. Rami, always one for a game of tit-for-tat, had sent him a quick 'fuck off' via fax and then, in a stroke of utter malevolence even Jeremy would have been proud of, faxed over a picture of a young Krytenian footballer. Jeremy recognised the face, but couldn't place it, until he read that it was a picture of one 'Jerome Jaffacake-Phillips', product of an illicit trist between himself and one Ffiona Phillips - long since departed Krytenian journalist - who had inexplicably kept Jaffacake's name.

The less said about Jaffacake senior and Jaffacake junior's first meeting, the better, but it was at least on the day that Audioslavia knocked Krytenia out of the World Cup; a result that, thanks to a previous bet, meant that Jeremy was allowed to brand Rami with the term 'Monkey's Labia' for an eternity.

From there, it had to be said, Rami had won every round the two had sparred. An altercation around the time of Silexhera's foray into World Cup 48 had resulted in Jeremy going into hiding in the face of professional hari-kiri, and Rami being the owner of Jeremy's centuries-old, priceless, long, elegant, swooping, mysterious, sexy, stylish mackintosh coat. His mackintosh. Jeremy wanted it back.

It wouldn't happen any time soon - Jeremy imagined that Rami kept that thing under lock and key - but Jeremy might, if he played his cards right, be able to engineer his way into tricking Rami, or fooling him, into giving him it back. Or winning it back in a bet. Double or quits? Hmm. Jeremy wasn't sure what he had that could count as 'double'.

Jeremy tipped the rim of his trilby towards the waitress as she delivered three more bottles of Burung Brew. Jeremy had no idea where exactly the famous Tanah Burungian drink was still being made, but he remembered quaffing it by the pint on the beaches of Loro Sae during World Cup 5 and always looked for it whenever he was on foreign shores.

Rubio and 'Scoop' were talking football, but not the regular, physical, reality football played on Nationstates. They were talking about the little 'game within a game' they played on a website called RLstates. Rubio and 'Scoop' had nations next to each other in a small region called 'Iberia'. 'Scoop's 'Portugal' and Rubio's 'Spain' were the Krytenia and Starblaydia of RLstates soccer, apparently, although Portugal were without Starblaydia's success and Spain were without Krytenia's headache-inducing ineptness. (Although to be fair Rubio's puppet, 'Andorra', were). Jeremy, having created the 'nations' of Montenegro and its puppet K0S0V0 recently - both being put in the region of 'FormerYugoslavia', where all the new nations go - was intrigued by the game, but pretended not to be. His mind was elsewhere. His mind was where these two Krytenians mind should have been. The real World Cup. Krytenia's impending semi-final doom and their game against The Babbage Islands.

Jeremy had lost count of the amount of semi-finals he'd been to in the past. The World Cup 7 semi-final, hosted in Audioslavia, watching Errinundera win out at the old, long-since demolished Soundgardian National Arena. The World Cup 12 semi-final - a thrilling 4-3 victory for Audioslavia over Commerce Heights in the distinctly Audioslavia-friendly semi in Lemmitania's national stadium. The World Cup 19 and World Cup 20 semi-finals, the first a nailbiting 0-0 draw with Dance2Revolution which Audioslavia won on penalties, the second a 5-3 extra-time victory over long-time rivals Squornshelous that had entertained everyone except him, it had seemed. The World Cup 25 semi-final, also hosted in Audioslavia - Starblaydia winning out in a 2-1 win over Squorn, and that was it. Jeremy, like most Audioslavians, hadn't made it to the World Cup 29 semi-final, in which Audioslavia won out over rivals Krytenia in their own Isserton Stadium in extra time. The last world cup Audioslavia had played in before civil war, nuclear fallout and the like put paid to their realistic ambitions of ever been a powerful, world-beating nation again. Jeremy had made the final in Casari, which Audioslavia would lose to the hosts, but hadn't wrote about the event. Audioslavia, the country, was already ruined and the players on the pitch were fully aware that they wouldn't have a home nation to return to. Most of the players would find jobs in foreign countries. Some would return to find a single, small, unaffected town in the middle of Audioslavia had survived the nuclear fallout. Cathair. Still the nation's only population centre.

Watching the utterly demoralised Audioslavian side traipse down the tunnel after their gutsy 2-1 defeat, the full realisation that this would be the last time the claret and green played on a World Cup pitch had hit Jeremy hard. He had left the sport at the same time as Audioslavia had, thinking he'd never return.

And here he was now. Back in the game. Back in the saddle. And it felt great. 'Audioslavia' would be back in the World Cup mix soon, with the Baptism of Fire tournament and the AOCAF tournament to come in the next eighteen months. It was Audioslavia for a given value of 'Audioslavia', of course - most of the players available qualified for the Bulls' national side by virtue of ancestry or having been, by chance, born within the boundaries of the country, but they would play in the claret and green and, if luck went their way, do those colours proud.

"Crisps" said Rubio, derailing Jeremy's train of self-involved thought. "I need crisps". He was a bit drunk, bless him. "I'm going to get crisps. Do you want crisps?" said Rubio, the sybillance already grating on Jeremy's ears.

"No, thanks" replied Jeremy. Rubio offered the same question to 'Scoop' who shook his head. Rubio left, leaving the two at the table alone. Jeremy, in spite of his distaste for the hack, made the opening conversational gambit. He did, after all, have an angle, and a good journalist can never let personal prejudices get in the way of a story. Or the possibility to set up the chance of screwing someone.

"So... you work for Rami?" asked Jeremy. A neutral question. Jeremy had done well to mask it's intentions and done well not to spit the word 'Rami' in the way he was accustomed to.
"Nah" replied 'Scoop', to which Jeremy raised an eyebrow. "I work with him. Not for him. Easy mistake to make. We're equals at the Cy'Un, y'see. No one guy has authority over the other and he doesn't tell me what to do, you know what I mean?"
"I know what you think you mean" said Jeremy, supping a finger of his drink and swallowing it carefully, keeping his eyes on the hack, waiting for a flinch, or a tell, or any sign that the interviewee might be in any way uncomfortable with his chosen reply. Jeremy doubted this pilchard was an equal of Rameses Niblick. "I know what you mean but, tell me, did you come out here on your own accord?"
"Of course. World Cup innit? wouldn't miss it for the world."
"You came for the first round, didn't you?"
"Yeah"
"And Rami didn't"
"No"
"But, had Rami wanted to come here, to report on the games, to give his opinion pieces and write the match reports, as both he and I have done in the past, then tell me, 'Scoop'" - now there was a name he could spit - "tell me, would you even be here?"
'Scoop' shifted in his seat and offered only an annoyed grunt. To be fair, Jeremy had known the answer to the question before he asked it.
"Don't like him, do you?" asked Jeremy, probing
"Nah"
"Would you like me to tell him that?"
"What? No!" came a confused and slightly scared reply. Rami was this guy's boss alright.
"It's OK, It's OK" said Jeremy, reassuring his prey by sheathing his claws for a split second. "I'm not his biggest fan either. Must be annoying the way he bosses you about"
"No. Well. Yeah. I mean, who does he think he is?"
"Exactly"
"Yeah.. I mean he's good and all but, hey, all he does it sit behind a desk and take what I write and put a headline on it. And then he has some opinion or other and writes it down and submits it and sits back with a coffee. I could do that. And I'd be able to see whatever football game I want to as well". 'Scoop' sniffed.
"Critisizes your writing style too, doesn't he?" asked Jeremy
"Yeah" said Scoop, sniffing again. Unconfortable.
"Tells you you should write with more panache. Be a bit more exotic with your sentence structures."
"Yeah..."
"Tells you to use more semicolons too"
"Yeah.. hang on, how..."
"'Stop using hyphens' he'll say, exhasperatedly flinging a copy of that Sunday's paper back onto your desk. 'Stop using hyphens, it's an Audioslavian thing to do, Joe' he'll say"
"How?!"
"And then he'll make you write it all our again, won't he? Semicolons in, hyphens out, less misquotes but more conjecture, isn't that right?"
"How do you know all this"
"I know him, and I know you well enough"
"How.. how did you know my name was Joe?" wailed 'Scoop', eyebrows akimbo. It was a good question. Jeremy had absolutely no idea that 'Scoop' was a Joe. He just looked like a Joe. He looked like a Joe, so Jeremy had called him a Joe. He was such a f***ing Joe.
"Never mine, Joe" said Jeremy "but there may be something you can do with me. Maybe Rami needn't be telling you what to do."
"He doesn't tell me what to do or where to go" announced Joe, in defiance of the previous five minutes of conversation.
"Tsk tsk Joe" said Jeremy. He leaned forward and gazed directly into Joe's eyes. This was the moment. Jeremy would enjoy it. He liked using his skills like this.
Joe looked terrified. Bless him. He was about to look even worse. Jeremy kept his gaze on Joe's eyes and uttered the words that Joe would remember for a long, long time afterwards:

"What would Chloe say if she knew her dad was lying, Joseph?"

Joe's brain just gave up. Right there and then. Jeremy needn't have bothered with the explanation but, well, this was just too good an opportunity to pass up. He knew he could get this guy to work for him. It was just a matter of time, now. Jeremy didn't wait for Joe to stop opening and closing his mouth, didn't wait for him to finally get around to asking the question. Jeremy made his explanation.

"You've a tattoo on your right wrist that says 'Chloe'. I deduced that this was the name of a daughter, rather than a mother or father because, A, who gets the word 'dad' tattooed on a loveheart and, B, if you'd have wanted a tattoo of your mother on your wrist you'd have used the word 'mother' and, C, the name 'Chloe' only takes up the bottom half of the love heart. The top half has been erased. I deduced that the top half was an ex-ladyfriend - because why else would you erase a name on a tattoo - and that the fact that Chloe's name was obviously on the tattoo at the same time as the initial name means that both names were etched onto your skin at the same time. Chloe is still here, the bitch has gone, so your daughter is called Chloe"

Jeremy took a sip of his drink.

"The tattoo is immaterial, however, as well as being badly drawn and coloured. What matters is the fact that I can see it. I can see it because your sweater is rolled up on your right arm, but not on your left arm. This is for two reasons, both of which important. Firstly, you are occasionally stretching that arm skywards and slightly over your head towards your left shoulder, and you're doing this for the second reasion; you've been carrying a heavy bag. You've been carrying a heavy bag because - and correct me if I'm wrong - you're carrying all of the posessions you initially brought with you to Queer Poco el Mono Ara," - Jeremy relished the hispanic enunciations of the name of the country - "and you're doing this because you've been told to leave. You've been told to leave because someone else is taking your place so as that the level of journalism for the Cy'Un increases in line with the hitherto unforeseen improvement in the play of the Krytenian national team and the first real occasion where they may very well be able to get to the World Cup final. The name of the journalist relieving you of your duties, Joe, is..."

Joe stared. Joe realised he was being asked a question. He still hesitated.

"Shall we say it together?" asked Jeremy.

"Rameses Niblick"
"Rameses Niblick" chorused the hacks.

Rubio, at long last, sat back down. In his hands were three bags and three bottles, each packet bearing the logo 'Queerios', each bottle stating it was, again 'Burung Brew'. Two of the bags were empty. The three bottles were full.

"Ah" said Rubio "The waitress.. earlier... I forgot she brought the drinks to the table"
"Yes" said Jeremy "But put them down. We'll find a good home for them" he said, raising his bottle towards Joe with a knowing smile. Joe looked as dumbfounded as ever. He bagan to speak, but found himself competing for Jeremy's attention with Rubio's slurred explanation of where exactly he'd been for the last ten minutes. Nevertheless, Jeremy heard something that made him turn towards the defeated 'Scoop'.

"Come again?" asked Jeremy

"I said, this isn't my bag. This isn't my stuff"

"Oh"

"It's for Rami. Y'see. I had to bring it when I first came, cos he knew he'd be flying out if Krytenia made the knockouts and he wanted his stuff there ahead of time. His hotel is a fair few miles away from mine, though, so I've kept it for him. He's picking it up at 8 O'Clock."

It was Jeremy's turn to furrow his brow.
"What time is it now?" he asked. Joe shrugged. Rubio looked at his watch.
"Why" asked Rubio
"Just.. tell me what time it is" Jeremy demanded, beginning to look a little scared himself. He didn't want to see Rami. Not now. Give him more time to bed into the job, to get to Rami's level, and then they'd see who was the cleverer. Whom could outwit whom. Rubio was talking.
"..pm exactly, signor"
"Say that again?" asked Jeremy
"I said, it is eight O'clock exactly" Rubio repeated. Jeremy blinked and, as quick as he could, draped his long (ish) blackish brown sheepskin coat over his shoulders and stood up. He tipped his trilby a little lower until he was sure the shadow from the overhead lights would obfuscate his face, just a little. He flicked the collar of his coat up. It was a sheepskin coat, so this just served to make him luck utterly ridiculous. He flicked it back down, took a breath, and turned around slowly

"Like clockwork" he said, under his breath, seeing the familiar greyish black, short, well kempt hair, obscured by the shadows of the pub and the large crowd that had built up since the trio had arrived, all of four hours earlier. "You could run a car by him" said Jeremy.
"You mean" asked Rubio, brows furrowed, "that you could run a watch by him... surely?" Jeremy smiled and turned a little towards the still-seated Rubio, without taking his eyes from the direction Rami was arriving in.
"I meant what I said."

The music in the bar stopped, suddenly. Over in the opposite corner of the pub, a good thirty feet away and obscured by two or three pillars and a false wall, a television was turned on. It was the World Cup semi-final. Valanora expected to win out over Aguazul. The bar became silent, transfixed almost immediately on the game. A lull. One that pub-goers will recognise. The lull between the music being turned off, a television being turned on, and the remote control - and its volume buttom - being found by the bar staff. For now: silence.

"Hey, boss, over here" - it was Joe, breaking the silence, calling over to Rami. Rami took a step forward, moved out from behind the tallish punter that had been between him and the trio's table and looked up. Saw Jeremy. The crowd, inexplicably, parted. A gust of wind, equally inexplicably, caused Jeremy's coat to billow and wave.

The same gust of wind had the same effect on Rameses Niblick's mackintosh. A familiar, centuries-old, priceless, long, elegant, swooping, mysterious, sexy, stylish mackintosh. It fitted the shorter yet slimmer Rameses better than it did Jeremy, there's no doubting that, but it was still the mother of all affronts.

Jeremy met Rami's gaze. Without averting his eyes, he moved his hand into his pocket, pulled out a cigar, inserted into the corner of his mouth and, producing a lighter from his breast pocket, lit it, and rolled it around in his mouth, waiting for Rami to make the first move.

Rameses obliged.

"Nice coat"
"I wouldn't expect to see you here" retorted Jeremy, the best he could come up with. He had to cede the point about the coat.
"Funny" said Rameses, looking around, at the television screen, the drunks, the sticky table covered in dirty napkins and the six bottles of opened Burung Brew "it's exactly the kind of place I'd expect to see you"
Two-nil? Not if Jeremy could help it. He wasn't about to let Rami take a victory, no matter how little.
"Ah, Rami" Jeremy started "you thought I meant 'here', the place. I meant 'here' the time. The fourth week of a World Cup. Like I said... I wouldn't expect to see you here..."
2-1? Maybe. Maybe not. Rami just smiled. The bar was still quiet. Without taking his eyes from Jeremy, he nodded, ever so slightly, towards the barman, suddenly relieved of immediate customers since the match started.
"Barman" - such was Rami's presence, the barman immediately took notice of the man five or so feet from the counter. "Two whiskies."
"Yes sir"
"I'll take mine neat"
"Yes sir"
Rami kept his eyes on Jeremy. Jeremy returned his gaze, giving the barman a sideways nod
"I'll take mine on the rocks" came Jeremy's request.
"Yes sir"
"With ice"
"...yes sir"
"And a straw"
"...OK sir"
"And an umbrella"
"Yes sir"
"And a packet of Monster Munch"
"We're out of monster munch"
"Queerios then"
"We're out of Queerios. Your drunk friend took the last three bags". Rubio ignored the barman's remark. He was slumped on his chair facing the two combatants, his eyes wide, watching the pair of them intently, dropping crisps into his open mouth like a moviegoer with popcorn.
"Well, what do you have, then?" asked Jeremy, still looking at his foe. His only movement was to occasionally remove and insert his cigar, which had by now burned to halfway.
"Twiglets?"
"Twiglets?"
"Yes sir"
"What the f*** are Twiglets?"
"Twiglets, Jeremy" interrupted Rameses, "are small, twisted, bitter, long since fashionable and are only, now, long after their heydey, found in pubs, propped on a table, next to a pint of gut-rot beer" he said, with a wry smile eminating from the corner of his mouth. "They'll suit you much better than that sheep you're wearing."
Jeremy flinched. He needed to stay calm. Stay classy. 3-1 down. Still everything to play for...
"So... Twiglets?" asked the barman, clearly bemused by procedings and obviously eager to complete the order. The whiskies were prepared and laid out on the bar. It was obvious which was for whom.
"Make that nuts" said Jeremy.
"Salted or Dry Roasted?" sighed the barman.
"Salted" said Jeremy. "You'll like nuts, Rami". Rami was was raising an eyebrow in bemusement.
"And why's that?" Rameses asked
"Because you're nuts" said Jeremy, announcing it to Rami like it was the wittiest single reply any human had ever created. Jeremy put his hands on his hips and stood as triumphantly as he could. He knew it wouldn't work. He knew his reply hadn't been clever enough to put the score at 3-2, but if could act his way out of this, he could possibly save face, maybe some dignity.
"That comes to three mono and two cents" said the barman, by now wishing he'd never applied for the job in the first place.
"Three two?" asked Jeremy "That's the same price as in Krytenia, is it not?" The question was directed at Rami. Jeremy was supressing a smile. He paused. His mind was begging. begging Niblick to ask something. Anything. Rami frowned.
"Is it?" he asked/ Perfect
"Because last time I was in Krytenia" said Jeremy "it was three-two in the Isserton Stadium..."
And it was 3-2 in the duo's little game of one-up-manship. Jeremy had to physically stop himself from jumping for joy. It was to be short-lived.
"Oh, no" said Rameses, "it isn't any more, Jeremy. Times have changed in the last..." - he looked at his watch, a pristine rolex, for effect - "century". Shit, thought Jeremy. 4-2, and with time running out. Rami looked over Joe and nodded at him. "Pay the man, will you" he said, to Jeremy's surprise. Rami was usually the gentleman when it came to buying drinks. Jeremy had always figured it was because Rami had a bit of money about him. Indeed he had, but, as Rami would never admit, he did it simply because it made him feel, y'know, a bit like James Bond.
"You get your lackeys to do everything for you?" asked Jeremy, feigning disgust. Joe rose slowly from his seat and traipsed over to the bar, head bowed, trying to shield his face from either man. A fiver was handed over, one mono and ninety-eight were handed back. 'Scoop' returned to his seat.
"Speaking of 'lackeys', who's yours?" replied Rameses, nodding towards Rubio who, for a split-second, was shocked at being included in the conversation. Like Humphrey Bogart had turned to him, reached through the silver screen and grabbed him by the collar, demanding to know the wherebouts of the girl. Rubio didn't get the chance to answer.
"That's Rubio, he isn't a lackey, he's a correspondent. We don't have lackeys at respectable broadsheets" came Jeremy's retort.
"I'd hardly call the Post 'respectable'" said Rami, but it was clear to both that the point had been won. 4-3. But yet... an idea. This'll work.
Jeremy stubbed out his cigar, carefully as he could, into an ashtray, and retrieved his notebook and pen from his breast pocket, flicking it to a blank page. Any page. He begen to write.
"...hardly... The Post... respectable... Rameses Niblick, sober, a pub, QPeMA, July 9th, 2146". Rami's eyes widened, slightly, but percepitably. That was it. 4-4. yes..
"Oh, it's like that, is it?" asked Rami, rhetorically.
"My pen is sharper than your supposed 'wit', it seems" said Jeremy
"Really?"
"Yup"
"Can it spell..." Rami left the word hanging in the air as he showed his left hand to Jeremy. In the hand was a smartphone, the screen showing a large red circle, and a counter, going past the twelve minute mark. "...'Luddite'?". 5-4.
"I, unlike you, haven't made any unprofessional, negative remarks about a rival publication" said Jeremy. "and at the Post, we often spell it 'F. A. X.'" 5-5. A remark about the Cy'Un still employing fax machines and analogue printing presses in an age where, at the Emberton Post, at least, everything was digital. Not the most biting satire in the world, but a point nonetheless. At five-all, Jeremy could see this one ending as a draw. Whether Rami was keeping count himself, or not, was anyone's guess.
"My bag, Joe"
"It's right here, boss" came Joe's reply. Rami stooped down and picked it up, slinging it over his shoulder. He turned to Joe, who didn't seem to like it when Rami's attention was on him.
"It's Joe Ojosangel, isn't it?" asked Rami.
"Err, yeah, sir, you know my name" came Joe's reply.
"Well well. The gang's all here then, isn't it?"
"What do you mean?" asked Jeremy, fearing the worst.
"Rubio and Ojosangel" said Rami. "You speak Spanish, don't you, Jeremy?"
"Ein petit peut" said Jeremy, sarcastically. "Rubio means 'Blondie', 'Ojosangel' roughly translates as 'Angel-eyes'..." Jeremy's eyes opened, just enough for Rami to make out that, to Jeremy's horror and Rami's growing mirth, they both knew where this one was going.
"Blondie and Angeleyes" said Rameses, "Two characters from a certain spaghetti western. 'Blondie' is 'The Good', 'Angel Eyes' is 'The Bad'.. so that... just... leaves..."
"You" interrupted Jeremy. Rami narrowed his eyes, as if to say 'that's not going to be enough' but... was it? Rami couldn't very well say 'no, you' as a viable retort and still expect to come away with the point. Had Jeremy saved it? Had Jeremy evaded that final, sickening, injury-time Krytenian winner? Maybe he had... maybe he had... the punchline.. he's interrupted the all-important punchline...
"Well, I'd love to stay and chat, Jeremy, Rubio, Joe, but, y'know, I'm a busy man. Those columns don't write themselves"
"Fine" said Jeremy. "Nice to see you again, Rami"
"You too" came Rami's not entirely genuine reply. "We must do this again sometime, now that you'll be working out of Krytenia"
"Oh we must, yes, Rami, we must". Rami had turned his back, and was walking away.
"Good luck to the Krytenian eleven with that glass ceiling, Rami"
"It won't be there much longer, Jeremy"
"If it doesn't, you'll only be moving it one level higher"
"We'll see"
"We will"

And with that, Rameses was gone. Jeremy looked around. Rubio and Joe had watched Rami walk out the door, and had turned their eyes back on Jeremy. Jeremy looked around the pub. The pub looked away. They had all been watching. The two old combatants had had an audience. They'd all been enthralled by the 5-5 draw.

Jeremy sat down and breathed a long, healthy sigh, before picking up a three-quarters full beer bottle and halving its contents in two gulps.

"That..." began Rubio, still staring at Jeremy "...was awesome!" Jeremy grinned.
"You think?"
"Yeah!" You too battling it out in the middle of the pub, all biting remarks and points scoring, I had you at five-five by the way, man..."
Jeremy was surprised. He'd assumed it was just him that was keeping count? He knew no-one back in Audioslavia in the old-days was quite so low-down as him as to create an arbitrary scoring system for the points-scoring one-upmanship of the profession. Maybe he'd underestimated his colleagues..
"Five-five?" questioned Joe, now perked up a little after the departure of his boss. "I had it as six-five"
"To who?" asked Jeremy.
"To you, of course. I especially liked the bit about the nuts". Jeremy sighed. Of course. He'd forgotten, in this time, that Joe was an imbecile. One that called himself 'Scoop' without embarassment.
"Really Joe. Really"
"Yeah. Because of the insanity thing". Jeremy almost choked on his beer.
"What?" he asked.
"Well, it was just a rumour"
"Ah, that" said Rubio. "A rumour. A malicious one."
"Yeah" said Joe "Rami took a two-week holiday and ended up being away for, like, a month. He said it was because of difficulties getting back from, where was it, Vilita? Said something about 'complexities eminating from the recession of Krytenia from the crown of Atlantian Oceania' or something like that. He's probably right, but you know what hacks are like. Someone spread a rumour that he'd been taken into the priory. Addiction to meth, followed by him being sectioned under the mental health act. Can you believe that? Bullshit of course but it became a running joke, only he got wind of it when he came back. Got someone fired. Almost fired me. Long and short of it is, he was pissed off that, after taking time out of his holiday to cover the situation in Atlantian Oceania, his name was being sullied in the place he's been working for, pfft, god knows how many years. He didn't trust many people for a year or so after that. He's OK now, like..."
"So..." said Jeremy, taking into account the information he'd just been told. "When I called him 'nuts' that... that actually went to the bone? More than anything else?"
"You betcha" said Joe, downing the last of his bottle and slumping back into his chair. Rubio did the same. Bless him, the young guy. He looked like he was ready for bed.
He wouldn't get much sleep at that particular moment, as Jeremy flipped the table upside-down - bottles flying, laptop tossed onto Joe's lap - in his over-exuberant, ecstatic, hollered celebration.
"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAAA!!!" - a caterwaul to mark his first real victory over Rami effing Niblick for around a hundred years. "Barman!" he shouted, the barman, shocked, stuttered a reply.
"Y.. yes?"
"Twiglets! Twiglets for f***ing everyone!"
"Did you flip that table upside-down?"
"And beer!"
"I'd like you to leave, sir"
"OK!"

And with that, the trio gathered their belongings and staggered out of the pub.

"See you tomorrow, guys" said Jeremy, offering a small wave as they departed in different directions. "Big day for you, eh?"
"Yup" replied Rubio, staggering off in the general compass direction of his hotel. "Bigger day for Krytenia..." he mumbled, as he kicked a passing pigeon. "A hell of a big day.."
Last edited by Audioslavia on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:47 pm

You could see it written all over Katja Mira's face as she faced the reporters. She bore the pain of defeat in a high-profile match, multiplied by the knowledge of her own lapse that led to Krytenia's go-ahead goal. But I admired the way she and Nancy Svoboda and the rest stood tall in a heartbreaking time, taking questions as though nothing bad had happened.

On this night the brilliant Bumblebees defence was merely above average. Saturnino looked timid in the face of an early card, Eva Glemnitz showed her years, and Kaitlyn Miller for once showed her lack of them. Above average doesn't win World Cups, as Krytenia convincingly demonstrated with a 3-1 win over The Babbage Islands to advance to their first-ever World Cup final.

Consider: The last time the Bumblebees gave up more than two goals in a match was in the opening game of World Cup 57 qualifying, on a night where many reserves were fielded and the Babbage side won 6-3. Before that you have to reach over six years to the eleven-goal circus against world champions Sorthern Northland in the World Cup 56 quarterfinal.

So we'll face Valanora for third place instead of defending champions Aguazul for the title. Both the third place match and the final feature young-versus-old storylines, with both "younger" teams installed as slight favourites. In the Valanora match I expect the dominant theme to be off the pitch. Many reports suggest that the Valanoran association is bringing their international football involvement to a close after a remarkable run of 26 successive World Cups including four titles and thirteen podium finishes. For me it is hard to imagine a Cup without Valanora captain Laborious Hawk, my former Petardos S/A teammate and my friend. Not a close friend, mind you, as such is rare indeed between elf and human. But he's an extraordinary person as well as an incomparable player.

Who am I picking in the final, you ask? If the Krytenian eleven bring the same game to the final that they did against us, they will hoist their first Cup. But it will take their best indeed to solve Aguazul's defence like they solved ours.

Smile!
NS World Cup: Runner-up 55/59; Third place 50/52/58/62/63; Host 49/54/60.
Founding member, Global Cricket Federation; 2x Twenty20 world champions.
FactbookRedballer scorinator for test cricket
Community football scorinator and CFC v2.1 (rules)

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:51 pm

A Date With Destiny
By Rami Niblick in Dreamland

WELCOME, readers, to the day before the day that we all thought would never come. The lion has laid down with the lamb, Satan is brushing up on his triple salchow, and Birnham Wood is come to Dunsinane. Krytenia, at long, long last, have reached the World Cup final. No matter what happens tomorrow, the names of the chosen twenty-three will go down forever in footballing history.

The mood amongst the Aces fans here in Andossa Se Mitrin Vega is an unusual one. On the one hand, they're raring to go at the chance to avenge the semi-final defeat of four years ago, and defeat Aguazul on the greatest stage of them all. On the other, sheer disbelief and amazement that they're here at all. The streets and bars are full of bemused but ecstatic Krytenians - and a fair few neutrals caught in the emotional maelstrom - neither knowing nor caring if the Aces have what it takes to win the one game that stands between them and eternal glory.

On the pitch, however, expect things to be more grounded. Krytenia, let's not forget, almost missed the boat altogether. Defeat against Swartaz ten months ago left the Aces looking at second place in the group, and a playoff to even make it here. That they did, thanks to a nervy win over the Kangaroo Republic, seemed more to luck than judgement. Even on their arrival in Queer Poco el Mono Ara, the side still looked nowhere near their supposed ranking of sixth best in the world, as they stuttered to a draw against lowly Kulverint in their opening game.

We may never know exactly what Francisco Vázquez García said or did in the intervening three days, but the team that turned out against Swartaz - again - was a completely different animal. There was competence, confidence, a certain swagger about the side, as they slashed their opponents to ribbons. Suddenly, they looked like world beaters. A winner takes all game against Bostopia followed, and even the fans back home were in awe at what was placed in front of them. Krytenia were simply untouchable, faultless. The poor Bostopians were never at the races, and the eight-nil result is the biggest ever victory in the finals for any team.

Polar Islandstates, at least, provided a challenge; the tenacious Terns finished third at the last World Cup - at the expense of our own brave boys - and were itching to go one better. Valrauncion and George Wilson had other ideas, though, and it was back to the drawing board for the men from the frozen north of Rushmore. The host nation were next; a hostile crowd and the prospect of an extra thirty minutes, though, did not stop them. Nor did the Babbage Islands, dispatched on Wednesday with another stunning display of the short ball game.

Remember the names then. Keys, Westhuisen, Southern, Ó Riordan, Sartelli, Kerr, Wilson, Agogo, Davis, Carlisle, and Valrauncion. Eleven men (well, ten men and an elf) who will be vying to get their hands on the trophy, the accolade...the legend.

Before we go, though, we wish Valanora and the Babbage Islands the best of luck in tonight's third-place game. We know only too well the heartbreak that comes with playing that match, knowing that everybody's waiting for another twenty-four hours to pass, and for the blue touchpaper to be lit. I'm sure that the game will be played in the true spirit of sportsmanship, and both sides will be more than worthy of bronze medals. For Krytenia, though, it's a case of one more sleep until destiny calls. Onward!
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Eric Greenley, uncle of Queen Isabella Dallas of Jeruselem, Dead at 96

Eric Greenley, brother of deceased WCHoF Coach of Qazox Ryan Greenley, uncle of the current Jeruselm monarch, Queen Isabella, grandfather of Charles Greenley, CEO of Lime computers; died this evening at the age of 96 of complications brought about by pancreatic cancer. Eric Greenley, founder of Lime Computers, was one of the few companies that helped the Qazoxian National Team recover from the effects of the Scourge virus 28 years ago. His brother, Ryan Greenley was the national team's coach from 1924-44 and left to coach the Jeru FC team and married into the Jeruselem royalty.

Eric was born in Northamberton, a suburb of Pika City to Issac and Edith Greenley, on Smarch 7th, 1912, the 8th of 9 children. The Greenleys moved to Pika City in 1916, and Eric attended South Pika High School and graduated at the top of his class in 1934. In 1939, Eric graduated from Pika State University summa cum laude with a degree in computational technology. Eric, using money borrowed from his brother, stated Lime Computers with a classmate, John Magies.

By 1945, Lime Computers was the 2nd largest computer company in Qazox (trailing only Denny Framm's QCM), and was one of the minor sponsors of Qazoxian football. While touring a Lime Computer manufacturing plant in Krenville, Eric met Elaine Jenkins, the supervisor of shipping and began a relationship with her. They were married on July 18th, 1948 in Jenkins' hometown of Graverville. On April 19th, the first of the couple's five children was born, Kevin Greenley. Kevin only lived 2 weeks, due to a car crash that also claimed the life of Eric's younger sister, Heather on May 6th, 1948. Heather Greenley was found to have had a BAC of .33, over 4 times the legal limit in Qazox (0.08). In 1950, the Greenley family celebrated the birth of twins, Jason and Ryan Greenley on February 11th. Two other children, Mariam was born on Smarch 1st, 1953; and the youngest, Charles was born on December 17th, 1957.

In 1970, Lime Computers was the 4th largest employer in Qazox, trailing only Ox-Cola, Ganja Vodka and Chard Motors, and had 73% market penetration in the computer market. After 31 years as CEO of the company, at age 54, Eric Greenley stepped down as chairman of Lime Computers and gave a controling interest (51.1%) to his son Jason Greenley. Ryan Greenley, the younger of the two twins, and father of current CEO Charles Greenley, staged a leveraged buyout of his brother's shares in 1974, against his father's wishes. Appearently, at the time of Eric's death the two had just begun to re-unite.

In 1979, after the Scourge Virus decimated Qazox, killing his wife in 1977 and his parents, which killed over 46 million people, Eric was one of the first humanitarians to begin to send money to various charities and relief efforts in Qazox. By 1982, Greenley spent almost Z189 million ($94.5 million) of his personal money for housing, food, job training and other relief efforts in the nation. He was awarded the Tiller Award for Peace in 1983, one of Qazox' highest national honors for civilians.

Greenley was one of the Qazox Eagles' largest supporters over his lifetime, attending almost every home match since 1924. A Z50 million ($25 million) donation in 1979 after the Scourge Virus help the national team to fund their attempt to qualify for World Cup 52. Greenley was in attendence in 1989 in Kagdazka and Pazhujebu, when Qazox first qualfied for the World Cup after the Virus. The last match that Greenley saw was Qazox' 1-0 loss to Aguazul earlier this month in Andossa Se Mitrin Vega.

Eric Greenley is survived by his brother, Ryan; sons Jason, Ryan and Charles Greenley, 17 grandchildren, including Charles Greenley, CEO of Lime Computers and Nioa Greenley-Hanz, Nobel Prize winner in theoretical Physics in 2001; and 41 great-grandchildren, They family will have a private ceremony on Thursday evening and a public viewing/memorial on Friday. Greenley will be buried in Van Dane Cemetary in Pika City, alongside of his wife and parents on Saturday.
Last edited by Qazox on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Alasdair I Frosticus
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alasdair I Frosticus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:16 am

HOLY EMPIRE HERALD

ISPI FORCED TO DENY SIGNS OF IMPENDING APOCALYPSE IN ORDINARY REALITY
Flying Pigs, Freezing Hell, Destruction of Wight, Opening of Seventh Seal, Krytenia in World Cup Final Unconnected Says Official

By Anna Comneno

The Imperial Secretariat of the Purple Inkwell was today forced to deny growing rumours that Ordinary Reality was on the bring of a final, annihilating apocalypse.

"I deny these rumours" said 3rd Middle Assistant of the 5th Junior Undersecretary Theodora Ducaso.

Pressed for more detail, Ms. Ducaso said that the reports of flying pigs and freezing hells could be easily dismissed as misunderstandings over realities where these were either common or not unexpected.

A flying pig, as observed by SBIS agents via the Panopticon

Hell freezes over during Beelzebub's recent absence for negotiations with the Heavenly Court over Francisco Vázquez García's soul

Ms. Ducaso said that the reports from Wight had 'understandably caused concern', but that the situation was well under control, the Glimmung had been restored to Heldscalla, and that any connection to the Oneiromancer could be denied as the Adversary had never left the Void during the current timestream. Questions about past and future events - as measured in mundy linear time - were dismissed as 'irrelevant'.

The issue of the Seventh Seal was revealed to be a misunderstanding over the national football team's recent trumpet practice following the quarterfinal loss to Valanora.

Ms. Ducaso did, however, concede that the news that Krytenia had reached the World Cup final in WC58 had caused 'particular concern' at both ISPI and SBIS, noting that this 'unexpected turn of events' was held by some senior figures within the Orthodox Church of the Holy Empire to presage the coming of the End Times. Consultations had taken place between ISPI and the OCHE over the event; the full OCHE synod was represented at the meeting, including the Protos of the Archregimancy. The meeting had been reassured by national team coach Juan Tzimisces that WC58 'was happening, had happened, and will happen', and that anyone who cared to consult the full history of the World Cup would already/had already know/known the result. While reassured, the Patriarchate has made special arrangements for additional confessions to be heard during this first week of Great Lent 'just in case'.
Last edited by Alasdair I Frosticus on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?

Aguazul
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Aguazul » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:18 am

The megaphone guy talks you through the semifinal:

Hello world! I couldn't get tickets to...wherever this one is...myself, but there are big screens and I know enough about this team anyway. Let's go.

Looks like usualish starting lineups for both sides. Coceres in our case.

Right, let's go. Kickoff time.

Not sure where this game is but fans look pleased, just saw one biting into something that looks delicious. Makes it a bit harder to chant, but nothing that can't be overcome.

Oh my goodness. Hope they didn't miss that. Lissón gets past Elenelwa and finds Undodhen out of position. We're up already!

Remember when it took us all a cycle and a half to find out that he could score goals at normal times? I wonder if this is what they meant by normal. Seriously, that guy hasn't even finished his...I don't know what it is but it makes me hungry. Dang it.

Oh phew, he's all finished and Valanora haven't equalized. Ten pesos to me, then. Was worried about that for a while, Hawk looked dangerously close to a shot there. Just in case you'd forgotten, he's in his...25th?...World Cup. You'll forgive me if I don't check all the details I hope.

Seydiya At’rod’uin managing in her homeland and staying very cool. Described as "young" by the Vanorian media guide. Bit of an understatement on their end I think.

Fresco dribbles forward, the pass to Hearts, who hammers it home. Beautiful equalizer!

Halftime. Bets going include someone on either team scoring a hat trick, Valanora scoring three unanswered, dude with the food looking down and missing the winner, and "Lucas Prado doing something dumb." That's so broadly defined I have to have a case either way.

No one wants to bet with me on it finishing two to one, either direction. Too likely?

Okay, play resumes.

Aguazul's first drawn match was against Valanora. World Cup 48 qualifiers. There's like five people who started in both teams...

Oh no. Bunch of fans think they're clever and start a new chant. Guys. Don't try and rhyme "Marauding" with "applauding." We don't have time for cleverness. This is a semifinal!

Of course if nobody's going to score, we might have time. Never mind. Where's that melody from, anyway? Don't recognize it.

What a boring half. Who wants to bet?

Inside information my foot, someone just pays attention to regional signup news. You're on, sucker.

Valcárcel on for Lissón. Fans clap and all. That's one way to make sure he doesn't score late...also is going to win me about thirty pesos, cumulative.

Er, sorry, is it extra time already? Got into an argument about substituting players off. "You substitute someone out just so people can clap for them? Are we playing a semifinal or what?" It's not "just," moron, what sport have you been watching for the past however many years?

Apparently baseball, that clears it up.

But seriously. Extra time!

Javier Cortez! Shot from just inside the box finds its way to the net! And we have, um, our first extra time lead ever. Let's go!

Guy was stuck behind Dorantes most of his career, too, but is going to wind up outscoring him in the end. Awesome.

Halftime of extra time. We're out of subs, Valanora have one more...Merenwen Lúinwë. Say that five times fast.

Defense on their toes for Aguazul. Francisco Cerezo has the armband now but he's being kept very busy by va Drake and Soldarian.

One more minute. Fans are really screaming now but nothing too distinct.

And it's all over! Aguazul through to the final! Phew.

Our first extra time win ever. We do get to count this as another 2 to 1 result. Right?

This makes us 3 and 0 in World Cup semifinals when we're having a rematch of the group stage. The Holy Empire wasn't in our World Cup 56 group, but the first qualifier is necessary; we had played Sargossa earlier in Cup of Harmony 41 before that extra time finish.

Later...

Okay, you're wondering what lies ahead?

Krytenia are only the second Rushmori World Cup finalist. Krytenia! (Albundania appear to have still been in Ebyria at the time of World Cup 53.)

People are asking, do we have anyone who can lift us past Krytenia like Pepe Raúl Corretja last time out. I'm convinced not. Keep in mind his club career was very precarious at the moment, it was by no means clear there'd be a Belgium for him to pick back up at. And remember his horrible but mercifully brief broadcasting career? Yeah, there's not going to be another Corretja for a while, but that's not all bad for us.

Two club teammates will be on opposite sides of the final; Leon Sartelli and Jimeno Arellano both play for Gimnasia. However, Osoro Coceres rather than Arellano will be starting for Aguazul.

After the randomization, Krytenia were the last team in the last group. Sound familiar? That's because Aguazul were in the corresponding (zonal) slot for World Cup 54. Look out.

Okay, okay, you want to know how I'm betting. Perhaps on the other match as well.

Here's the thing. Aguazul will likely earn a World Cup nation Hall of Fame slot for their accumulation of SRS points during this cycle and previously...win or lose. So how could these final matches make a difference? Well, if you look at the average points per Cup for different teams (now that Polar Islandstates have fallen to earth a little bit with an exit in the second round), Valanora are the pacesetters, but Aguazul are off to one of the hotter starts the modern game has seen. I'm not sure if most of our fans realize that.

But if we lose and Valanora win, the averages will finish in a statistical tie. And a little bit of nudging will show that Valanora lead by a hair. That, I think, is where both teams belong at the end of the day.
Last edited by Aguazul on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
La República del Aguazul

Astograth: Epée
Astograth: No idea where the tilde goes there
Val|WI: accent
Astograth: Tilde.
Val|WI: Tilde is this one: ~
Astograth: That's squiggly line

Valanora
Senator

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valanora » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:10 am

"Say Laborious, have you heard from home the last few days?"

"I was not expecting any word from "home". Why do you ask?"

"A few players have tried calling their loved ones and every single one of them is getting a service denied message or that the number does not exist."

"Quite the peculiar problem. Are you sure that it is everyone and not just those from the same city or region?"

"Well, those that have tried to make a call, yes they are all getting the same sort of responses."

"There has been one other time when such a situation arose, it was during the Tides of Darkness. Though I thought that Elune herself promised the nation that no such happening would occur ever again."

"Well, there is no such mysterious cloud covering the whole of the nation as there was during the Tides, but there does appear to be some sort a ... well force field or something around the mainland of the nation. There is a sparkle and shimmer when the light hits it just right."

"Most strange. However there is nothing we can do to investigate the matter further right now, it will have to wait until we return home afterwards."

"That's the thing, can we return home if there is some sort of barrier or force field secluding the mainland?"

"We shall see. For now, put it out of your mind and focus on the task at hand, we have a match to prepare. Honor and glory are there to be won and protected, make yourself and the rest of the squad ready."
World Cup 40, 42, 43, 52, & 61 Champions
WC 47, 51, 94 (2nd), WC 34, 38, 39, 41, 44, 45, 53, 60, 67, 92 (3rd), WC 49, 58, 87, 90 (Semifinalist), WC 33, 35-37, 46, 48, 54, 55, 62, 63, 65, 72, 83, 85, 86, 88, 91 (Quarterfinalist)
WCoH VII, VIII, XVII, XXVIII, XXX, XXXII (1st), WCoH I, XXXI, XL (2nd), WCoH II, XXIX (3rd), WCoH XII (4th)
AOCAF 44, 46, 51, 53, 65, 68 Champions, AOCAF 39, 43, 55, 59, 64 Runners Up
Co-Hosted: too many events to count

EPL Season 20,073

I am that which I am and choose to be.

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Andossa Se Mitrin Vega » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Sorry this is late getting here, All kinds of interesting weather in the Oklahoma/Kansas/Missouri/Arkansasa region tonight. Or maybe it was my unscheduled nap ;) Nope has to be the weather. Score up in just a bit.
Who will take Third?
Last edited by Andossa Se Mitrin Vega on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions: AORBC II (Women's Champs); AOHC IV; Cup of Harmony 44, 49, & 54; Baptism of Iron VBrevity Challenge Cup 3
2nd Place: WC64
3rd Place: WC59; WC61WC65
WC Quarterfinals- 53,58,60
Qualified for WC Proper - 27,28,29,30,53,54,56,58,59,60,61,63,64,65
Host: Draggonnii Inviyatii; BoF 17 ; World Bowl XII; BoF43 (with K&P);World Cup 58 (with QPeMA)World Cup 61 (with Valanora)

AO is, as they say, THE PLACE.
Those of you whom we consider friends and respect here on NS are welcome to join us on FB. Simply TG me and We will set it in motion.

Queer Poco el Mono Ara
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Queer Poco el Mono Ara » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:03 pm

So I guess we should really crown a champion, shouldn't we?

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=8577845#p8577845

We now haz champion! Thank you everybody who took part.
Last edited by Queer Poco el Mono Ara on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hosts of one World Cup
A Mike Sarzo Memorial Trophy and the 16th Di Bradini Championship to name but all of our accomplishments

http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Una_Serie_de_F%C3%BAtbol The Pocoan League

Aguazul
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Aguazul » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:43 am

"Remind me again," said Lucas Prado, "why we're up at this hour?"

"I don't know," said Eliana.

"Oh, that's comforting."

"I mean, I don't know why you're awake. I'm awake because I have...business...to do, and it might as well be on the final day when people won't be watching."

"And I'm here because I don't trust your "business." It all comes streaming back now. I don't suppose you're going to explain?"

"It's...a Ciudagua thing."

Prado shook his head. "You're meeting someone here."

"Yes."

"Cobo. I thought I was done dealing with him, I really did."

Eliana paused, then tilted her head towards him. "Do you ever miss it?"

"What?"

"The...football association. Ours, I mean. Getting to look at the winners and say "hey, I built that.""

"But I didn't," he said, confused. "The coaches did. I mostly tried to keep the coaches in line. And schedule the home games. Not that exciting."

"Okay," said Eliana. "Just...just curious."

"Hello?" called another man, making his way towards NSWC Signups. "You must be Eliana?"

"Hey!" she said, turning to the building. "Hold on, I'll just be a minute."

"Prado?" he squinted. "I...didn't...know...you...were...um...coming."

Prado blinked. "Preciosa?"

Juan Preciosa, manager of 12 de noviembre, gave a small nod. "Morning."

"What..." Prado trailed off, then repeated the inquiry as Eliana reemerged, holding a large box. She glanced around, but few people were yet outside.

"Here you go, then," she said, unceremoniously handing it to Preciosa.

He carefully raised the lid, glimpsed inside, then put it back. "Thanks."

"That's not...the Trofeo del Príncipe?" Prado realized. "The one that the border control wasn't wild about because it was named after a prince and all?"

"None of your business," Preciosa grinned.

"And you," he said, whirling towards Eliana, "realized that they wouldn't check the mail to a "foreign country"...and no one's going to secure this border, not on finals day." He shook his head.

"The wonders," said Eliana as Preciosa gratefully headed back, "of a microstate."

Play paused about twenty minutes after it began, and Garcilaso Criville was left nervous. He was not going to be seen shaking his head in frustration on global TV, but it was tempting. What had they said, don't close in too hard on Agogo in case he gets away, and the midfielder had done just that.

They lined up, Agogo took the free kick himself, but Ismael cleared it away. Play quickly resumed, but with longer passes up and down the field, nothing too committal. The break had rattled Garcilaso, and he stayed back, nervous, until Paul Carlisle came forward. With a couple steps, they looked like tiny walking steps in his tiny display on the huge screens everywhere, Garcilaso crept upfield, Carlisle pacing backwards as well. Another chance pulled apart.

Eusebio Nadol had Aguazul's best attempt of the first half, with Travis Westhuisen not close enough to intercept a long shot. Alan Keys made an immediate grab for it, however, and Peter Southern made an unhurried dribble back upfield.

Halftime and everyone seemed too tense to listen to anything too complicated. Sosimo had been right; they didn't look Krytenian, if only because they weren't wearing stripes.

So to the second half. Sosimo got close a couple times, but Colm Ó Riordan was there with brilliant tackles. Krytenia's three forwards had little space to work with on the other end, and soon enough the substitutions began. Aaron Quiteri came on for Carlisle to look for a goal, and Rafael Luis in place of Noé.

Two minutes of added time. The fans in Stadii Se Draggonnii Arcea, to say nothing of those walking around outside, were as loud as ever, but still, nothing on the scoreboard.

"It's been, like, a lot of minutes," said Beatriz.

"Like they won't keep going with their interviews anyway," said Domingo.

"Just turn it on and see," said an impatient Eva, poking the radio.

"...and as we look set to head into extra time, still scoreless..."

Eva poked the radio again.

"Extra time. Seriously. As if there wasn't enough they make you play more football," said Domingo.

"How'd you break ties, then?" Jaime asked gamely.

Domingo glared. "What part of equality do you not understand?"

"How you expect to achieve it by sitting around and intermittently hijacking toll roads," Jaime muttered.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"D'you think," said Francisco, "if Nanabos was really out there, he would watch football?"

"I'm not sure he'd have the patience for scoreless draws, but that's just a hunch."

"Cause like. The capitalists. They have all their money, they're competing to get more money. And the sports, it's like, who is getting more goals."

"Or not. As the case may be."

"Yeah but. Don't you think they invented religion as a competition for, like, who could do better at being better at whatever?"

"Nuhuh!" Beatriz said. "Before the sync, whoever was here before, they had religion too. Like some of it is all right as long as it's not from the wrong people."

"And if they had had sports here? Those would be okay too?"

"Sure. I mean, like, bread and circuses, that's not good, but people still need bread to eat. Not just bread, obviously, there's like water or whatever but you know."

"I don't know," Francisco whined. "None of the books go on about this kind of thing." He sighed, looked at Beatriz' whirring mouth and Jaime's quiet smirk. Then he sighed again and poked the radio. "Whatever. Let's listen to this game already. Maybe there won't be any goals here either."

So they listened, and there weren't. Valrauncion sent a shot some distance over the bar, Sartelli stymied Nadol's best effort. Peskov and Justice came on for the Aces, Ramón and Tadio for Aguazul.

At halftime of extra time, the megaphone guy was paging through history, looking for information about years upon years of matches. But for Aguazul, fifteen minutes of the future seemed impossibly long. By then Mejia had long since put down his cigar. Every breath was already too strained.

With four minutes to play, plus maybe more, Cameron Davis rattled the post for Krytenia, but that was as close as they'd come. One minute added, but Claudio was dribbling blankly, nowhere to pass to.

The megaphone guy spread the word; it was the second scoreless draw final in World Cup history, after World Cup 28, which Starblaydia had won 7 to 6 on a shootout. That was also the score of the only final shootout since then, in World Cup 44, although there had been five before 28. In the World Cup knockouts as a whole, it would be the fourth of the last five shootouts to involve Aguazul. And participating in their sixth shootout since World Cup 47 ("Why is World Cup 47 always the cutoff for these things? We didn't start till 48.") drew Aguazul into a tie with Jeru FC for most in that category ("Too soon!"). A win would be their fifth, tying them with The Holy Empire for most penalty victories since 47 ("Are you actually a football fan, because real football fans hate shootouts.")

"And by "real," you mean...?" challenged the megaphone guy, and that was that.

Speaking of, kind of, Valrauncion was first to kick. He took, not his time, really. Taking his time would probably have required a lot more, but the wait was nervous enough as he stood, only needing a few steps, and then curved the ball into the top corner.

Claudio next. Keys was jumping quickly but had guessed wrong and Claudio's shot sailed off to his tilting side.

Davis, too, would not be denied that time out; though his shot grazed the post, it would make it into the net.

And Sosimo, walking out of the circle without seeming to feel his teammates behind him. They had come that far; they did not need leadership. All they were looking for was the tie.

Too much to ask for, too much to trust in, but not too much to earn on one day or the other. A shot low, curving into the corner, and there they were tied again.

Agogo had a quick approach, but the shot itself was tepid, and Osoro needed just one bound to reach it. The fans were as loud as they'd been for every shot, but it was the consistency of the scoreboard that told the whole story.

But then over to Ramón. He gave a grin as he stepped forward, confident, but the smile was grounded in the brief past and little more. Keys grasped the harmless shot, and they were still tied.

Krytenia were in substitute mode of their own. Peskov stepped up for the Aces, but his shot went wide. And the fans' breaths grew short, again; after two hours of no goals, even those random samples were enough for the tautness of a pattern, and the wild eruption when the patterns broke down.

Eusebio then, for the...team that had no nickname, no sense of their place in history, no traditions too firm to limit, too much, who was just a setup guy and who was a finisher, who could score penalties. His shot rose quickly but then leveled off, just enough to dig into the side of the net.

Three to two. From Rushmore to the Shell Shock Troop Clan and Swifttown to Sufuérte, they waited for Leon Sartelli. A glance this way and that...

...but Osoro blinked at neither and leaped, pushing the ball away.

Aguazul had no home stadium. There was no obvious choice for where the Cup itself would wind up, days and weeks later, but that didn't need to be on anyone's mind. They were in the end the country of both; rabbit and turtle, faith and freedom, mistakes and penalties, dreamers and champions.
Last edited by Aguazul on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
La República del Aguazul

Astograth: Epée
Astograth: No idea where the tilde goes there
Val|WI: accent
Astograth: Tilde.
Val|WI: Tilde is this one: ~
Astograth: That's squiggly line

Wight
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Tea Party #7

Postby Wight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:36 pm

THE TEA PARTY AT THE END OF THE MULTIVERSE
The Curse of Wight

The scene changed. It was still the bedchamber of Búa King of Uncertain Dimensions. He was still being attended by Leviathan in an uncomfortable human form, bearing the essence of Alastair I Frosticus, and Jimmy Costello, and Newtonian Olive, and the Mitrin Vega… and the baptist, John.

But now, the room was reminiscent of Wight Spit again, and that famous party all those World Cups past, when Búa sought gain by summoning a range of devils, demons, do-gooders and destroyers to court and there to bargain with them and perhaps play a bit of dice.

I recall, says Búa, but not altogether clearly. Now then, where is the blasted text that will illuminate us.

They are gone, explained Leviathan. They have been wiped – you will recall, this is the Ultimate Retcon. This is where it all started, and where it finishes. All is lost, and soon there will be no trace except the wild paranoid delusion of a young and mentally unstable Tamarindian footballer who imagined he won the World Cup managing a team of devils, demons, do-gooders, destroyers and dead celebrities.

Everything was swirling intensely now, the way things do as they move toward the plug-hole of history and of narrative, and not far away is the blackness of the end. Hassan i Sabbah, John The Baptist, Saligia; all disappeared with a final shout into that u-bent oblivion, feeling the force of the final flush. Passago the Goat and Brian Blessed Cloned and the secret agent Credus Coad all washed away.

Búa looked ruefully at Leviathan. And so this is it, he says.

But it was not Leviathan that replied. It was not Leviathan at all. It was the writer, Jimmy Costello.

Dammit, says Búa, I never should have taken my eye off you.

You are done, said Jimmy, typing his final lines.
::: WIGHT :::
BECAUSE REASONS

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports