NATION

PASSWORD

Games of the VI Olympiad - RP thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:38 am

Tegan Nash Valdemar felt almost at home here. Microphones make most people uneasy. But when you've lived your life in a fishbowl they are, if not friends, at least old, familiar faces.

She spoke briefly to the tax collector, then stepped to the mike. The room fell silent.

"Thank you for being here. I will be brief, and will repeat my remarks in Portuguese after I have concluded in English. Please, no questions." She then repeated her opening sentences in Portuguese, and continued in English.

"First, the good news. Richard will survive. The staff calls it serious but stable condition. He will be mending a long time, but he will live.

"Sadly, I am told that several others will not be so fortunate. Athletes from at least three nations are dead, together with several rioters, in this senseless outbreak of violence and mayhem.

"People of Lasft, my home away from my homeland as a player at Petardos and a missionary of the Lord, I grieve with you. This fair city has been struck at its heart by an infection of madness. Like other infections, this one can be and is being removed. Security and law enforcement are doing their works of service, and our city will recover and grow stronger.

"Families of the injured and fallen, I know firsthand that the pain is almost unbearable at times. For some of you, there will be a permanent void that nothing can erase. Know that we are not alone in our trials, that God is with us, that He will strengthen, comfort, and preserve us, and that His love for us is everlasting.

"To the rioters, I reject with all of my being your unconscionable and contemptible acts. But my understanding of the natural man also suggests that many of you have been caught up in something that changed before your eyes, that swelled up and became engorged with evil. Some of you will no longer even recognise those whom you believed to be friends and allies in a cause.

"Scripture, properly understood, commands that we forgive. And to those who have injured me and my family, I do forgive, freely and fully without reservation. Further, I testify that the love of Jesus Christ encompasses all of us, both those who were injured and those who gave injury. It is never too late to repent of our shortcomings, to seek healing and peace. And those who sincerely turn away from forbidden paths and seek righteousness will be helped to find that peace.

"I pray for all of us caught up in this tragedy. May our burdens be lifted, and may divine light shine upon and through us to strike down the darkness.

"Thank you. I will continue in Portuguese." Weeping softly as she continued, Tegan gave the promised repetition and then withdrew.
NS World Cup: Runner-up 55/59; Third place 50/52/58/62/63; Host 49/54/60.
Founding member, Global Cricket Federation; 2x Twenty20 world champions.
FactbookRedballer scorinator for test cricket
Community football scorinator and CFC v2.1 (rules)

New Montreal States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby New Montreal States » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:51 am

A PACK OF ASSHOLES RAINS ON EVERYONE'S PARADE

Newmanistanis give baseball a bad name with terrorism binge

LASFT, Cafundéu - A pack of assholes from Newmanistan tried to ruin the Olympics for everyone else yesterday, and may well have succeeded.

These pathetic, half-civilized scumbags murdered several athletes from Cyborg Holland and Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuk; although wrestlers from the latter apparently succeeded in bringing down the gunmen and roundly beating the curs. Unfortunately, the man they were trying to protect, John Cash, died of his wounds in a nearby hospital.

NMS athletes, whose security procedures were mostly limited to locking their apartment doors at night, were alarmed by the killings. "I'm alarmed by these killings," said Ed, the one-named striker responsible for 4 goals as the men's football side romped through the group stage. "We could be next. Any national delegation could be next. These rabid Newmanistani partisans must be exterminated like the black-hearted sociopaths they are."

"I look forward to the day," Ed concluded, "when Cafundéuse law-enforcement agents bathe in the blood of these rascals and free men and women can compete in safety. But until that blessed day, we shall be hounded by the mangy dogs of Newmanistan, curse their ancestors for not using protection."

Other athletes were less bloody-minded.

"We owe it to ourselves and to the world to find forgiveness within our hearts," said silver-medal shotputter Porcelina "The Old Battlewagon," a devout member of the NMSAOC, who frequently reads the epistle Sundays at her home parish of St. Luke the Evangelist in Stanage. "Only then will the world be able to come to peace with what has happened here today."

No events had been cancelled or rescheduled when we went to press. None of the facilities sustained any damage in the attacks, except for the pool windows from a couple of days earlier.

The Ministry of Morale released the following statement:

The NMS Ministry of Morale wrote:"On behalf of the NMS Ministry of Morale, the Secretariat for Olympic sports and the Olympic athletes themselves, we are devastated by the attacks made on athletes in Lasft. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the nations, families and friends affected by this.

"Baseball belongs in the Olympics. Terrorism does not. Carving a bloody trail through the history of sport is not the best way to advocate for a cause. A bunch of competitions which turn on utterly random circumstance isn't worth shedding blood over. These Newmanistanis lost their sense of proportion, and bright young men and women lost their lives because of that.
WBC 26 champions!
4th place finishers, World Cup 11; 2nd place finishers World Cup 31; Cup of Harmony 53 winners
Co-hosts of World Cup 28 and Cup of Harmony 16 with The Archregimancy; co-hosts of World Cup 64 and Cup of Harmony 54 with Wight; co-hosts of Cup of Harmony 50 with Vilita

The Kytler Peninsulae
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Kytler Peninsulae » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:40 am

How can a shock gold medal in one of the most high-profile events of the Games be treated with angry cynicism?

When Robert Felton gets involved, that's how.
Out of international isolation and... winning things? Huh?

Host: World Lacrosse Championship 13, Baptism of Iron X, 7th World Championships of Babbage Rules Football, and Games of the IX Olympiad.

Won: World Lacrosse Championship 13, Elephant Chess Cup 7, and Memorial Cup. Also top of the medals table at the Games of the IX Olympiad (24 gold, 63 total medals).
World Lacrosse Championship 12 and World Bowl 47 quarter-finalists, World Bowl XV and World Baseball Classic 20 octo-finalists
28 medals, 10 gold, at Games of the VI Olympiad (13th in medal table)
7 medals, 5 gold, at VII Olympic Winter Games (7th in medal table)
26 medals, 10 gold, at Games of the VIII Olympiad (9th in medal table)

Ferkas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferkas » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:06 am

Tragedy Strikes Olympic Games

Yuri Merkiz, Several Others Shot by Protestors

Published In: St. Paul Herald

In what the Ministry of Sport is labeling "one of the darkest days in sporting history" several athletes, security personnel, and spectators were killed or wounded by protesters from the nation of Newmanistan. Yuri Merkiz, a member of the Olympic Team in the Discus event, was shot well watching a portion of the 20km walking event. Reports indicate that the day was punctured by a series of attacks, including shootings, started by groups protesting baseballs status as a non medal event.

The Ministry of Sport has released a statement saying that "Mr. Merkiz is currently being tended to in a Lasft hospital and is in critical condition. At the time we are unable to release any further information as to his status. As a team we would also like to extend our sincere condolences to the other families and nations which have been effect by this tragedy."

Reports from Newmanistan and other news outlets indicate that a Mr. Brock Anniston, citizen of Newmanistan. It is believed that Anniston acted as the organizer for the protests and shootings, recruiting and directing others who carried out his violent ideas. The Ministry of State has released the following statement with regards to Mr. Anniston: "The Ministry of State, in conjunction with the Office of the Attorney General and the Ministry of Sport, supported in this decision by the Ministry of Justice, has decided to issue a Warrant of Arrest for Questioning for the person identified as Mr. Brock Anniston. The Warrant has been supported by the First Royal District Court of Coventry and indicates Mr. Anniston on charges of Conspiracy to Commit Homicide, Terrorism Against the Chancellery Kingdom of Ferkas, Attempted Murder and Conspiracy to Commit Terrorism. Should the unfortunate happen and Mr. Merkiz passes away the Attempted Murder charge will automatically change to a Aggravated Homicide of the First Degree, with Terrorist Involvement. At this moment the Chancellery Kingdom of Ferkas would also like to formally declare a request for Mr. Anniston to be extradited to the Chancellery Kingdom to stand trial, pending his arrest by local authorities."

Additional reports indicate that Colonel James Matthews, charged with security for the Olympic Delegation, has resigned his command and will be replaced immediately. In addition the Ministry of Sport has stated that extra security personnel will be brought into the country.
Political Compass: -7.88 Economic, -4.41 Social

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:13 am

Vulshainian Olympic News

Day 14: Bronze and Silver Won!

Hello everyone! This is Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN's Vulshainian Olympic News reporting live from Lasft, Cafundeu!

Yesterday, during Day 14 of the 2011 Summer Olympics, Vulshain won its second Athletics medal and its first Wrestling medal.

Jeremias Veit made it to the final rounds of the Men's 74kg Greco-Roman Wrestling. He won the silver during his match against Naveed Ahmed of Akbarabad. Jeremias congratulated Naveed for giving him an excellent and exciting match.

Meanwhile, Nadja Evren won the bronze in the Women's Discus Throw. "I got some improving to do, but I'm very happy!" While Jeremias and Nadja were winning medals, Vulshain's other athletes were doing their best to qualify in the hopes of winning more medals today.

However, security was increased after reports of an armed terrorist opened fire on athletes from Newmanistan. Several people were injured and at least one person was reported as being in critical condition. "It's terrible that someone would do something like this," Nadja said. VCNMN will have more on this after we have more information. Erik Rainard sent his condolences to the victims of this despicable act, saying, "It sickens me to know that someone would try to stop these Games which represent world peace."

This has been Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN coming live from Lasft, Cafundeu, wishing everyone competing today good luck! I also send my condolences to the victims of the shooting as well.
Last edited by Vulshain on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Southern Cynocephali
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Cynocephali » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:42 am

Athletics - Men's Long Jump final
at Arena Terrão

-1 Perry Argard (MZO) 8.32m G
2 Nikola Acciaio (CAR) 8.20m S
3 Arnot Théry (SCY) 8.19m B
Théry bags fourth bronze for team

Arnot Théry proved that his second placing at the recent Wadomia Athletics Invitational was no fluke as he mixed it with the best in the world in the Olympic final of the men's long jump. Claiming bronze, our fourth such medal of these Games, he pulled out a personal best of first 8.17m, then 8.19m. Arnot was unlucky to be beaten to the silver by Nikola Acciaio who only finished with a 1cm advantage.

Arnot Théry sat down with our correspondant in Lasft after the final to talk about his performance, what it is like to be a medal winner, and how he has found the Games in Lasft so far.

Arnot, thanks for your time. So, that medal looks great around your neck!

Thanks. It's just starting to sink in, and I'm starting to get used to the weight around my neck! I haven't taken it off since I got it - yes, even in the shower.

Well, you certainly deserve it. How did it feel to stand on that dais at an Olympic Games?

It was a special moment that I will treasure for the rest of my life. Sure, I would have preferred that the Hymne à la liberté was playing, but it was still very special. I went into the final with my eyes on that top step; my second place in the heats made me think anything was possible. But I was beaten by two very good competitors, especially Perry Argard from Mesoland. His best jumps were miles in front of the rest of us.

You've joined a small, but growing, club of athletes who have won Olympic medals for our nation. How does it feel to be the latest name on the lips of a nation?

Well, I don't know.. I guess I will have to wait and see what it is like when I get home. Going by the non stop messages and calls of congratulations, it is going to be one crazy ride when we all finally get home.

Have you enjoyed your time here in Lasft?

Most definitely. The facilities have been great, organisation has been world class and the atmosphere has been something special. I can't wait to hopefully be part of something like this again some day. I don't want my time here is Lasft to end!

What are your plans now? Time for a holiday or straight back into training?

Well, I will see. I haven't been on my honeymoon with my wife yet as I have been preparing for these games. We might head to Namtock or somewhere like that, although there are other nations in Rushmore both my wife and I would like to visit. Nothing planned at this stage, but I see myself having a bit of a break before we look ahead to the next Games. That said, there are many competitions coming up, so I will have to stay as fit and track ready as possible.

Thanks for talking with us Arnot. I wish you, and your wife, all the best and hope to see you proudly representing our nation again in some competitions in the near future.
Flag-bearer proves he is 74th best in the world
Rey/Marthely off target
Team captain Veronese loses bronze shootout
SCOC announces CIS to improve future performances
Demonyms: Cynoceph (pref.), Cynocephalian, Cyno

Nation on NSWiki
SC Sportswire
APEX Tyres

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 am

Mesoland parties on with ANOTHER Gold medal, as Perry Argard wins the Long Jump

Perry Argard Qualifies in 6th, with a top jump of 8.32
Mesoland's second Gold medal was yesterday won by stylish Perry Argard. His jumps were, in order; 8:29, X, 8.32, X, 8.08, X, X, 8.32. In fact, he blasted second place Nikola Acciaio out of the water with his jumps, as Nikola of Cartenia and Ruthenia only managed 8.20. Perry, who's full name is Perry Makalewe Unasonga Hafitwi Mk'Noba Latasya Argard, is the son of the famous chief of the 'Mansanzelu tribe', Jubna Argard, who still heads the ancient tribe. His mother is an ordinary Meso from Ilungwe, named Gina. Though his father didn't show up, Perry's mother could be seen in tears in the stands after watching her son triumph. He stood coolly and calm on the podium, as Mesoland's new flag rolled down, and the national anthem blared. Another day to remember in Mesoland, as the glory washes over the nation.

100m Disappointment, as Apwe and Gora both come close to qualifying, both clocking in at 10:34
All three of Mesoland's Men's 100m runners failed to qualify, as Martin Saamel takes last place in the competition. He was last, only to a DNF from LOG, with an abysmal time of 12:09. Last place was 190th!
Meanwhile, big Meso hopefuls Kwanele Gora and best buddy of Kaspar Kugel Jabulani 'Jabbi' Apwe, both finished close to qualifying, with just microseconds between them. Jabbi managed 50th, just 6 places from qualification, while Kwanele 'Kwanno' finished in 56th.

Not quite plain Sailing for Clive Burcham, Isaac Mambo, Angelina Evans or Nugiyama Ambesento
Clive Burcham, in the Men's 1 Person dinghy (races 3&4), managed to scoop 7th place, a fairly respectable placing, with just 23 points in total. In the the same event for Women, Ambesento got 11th place, with 34 points in total. Then, in the Men's Sailboard (races 7&8), Isaac Mambo of Gugesti, in Fritwe State, got 22nd out 42, getting 154 points in total. Finally, in the same event, for Women, Evans came 23rd out of 39, and scored 131.

Mesoland up to 33rd in Medal Tally
Mesoland now have 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 4 Bronze. 4 of these medals (2 Bronze, a Gold and a Silver) have been won in the Judo events. At the top of the table are Kelssek, with an astonishing 12 Gold, 11 Silver and 12 Bronze. Bringing up the rear is New Montreal States, and in 3rd, it's Krytenia, while the hosts Cafundeu are in 4th.
Last edited by Mesoland on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:02 am

Press release, sent to leading newspapers & radio stations not only at home and in Cafundeu but in all of the other 'Olympic' nations that have these as well _

01st Sextember, 2026AD.

Both the government of Bears Armed and the Bears Armed Olympic Committee hereby convey their condolences to the peoples and governments of all the nations that have already suffered at the paws of terrorists during these Games, and especially to those people who have actually suffered directly as a consequence of those wreckers’ actions. We whole-liveredly condemn the attackers’ decision to resort to such violence over such a trivial matter, especially during an event that is supposed to highlight international friendship, and hope sincerely that the criminal incidents that have already occurred will not be followed by any others.

Furthermore the government of Bears Armed hereby assures all of the other peoples and governments concerned that if anybody who has been involved in planning and/or carrying out those attacks attempts to seek refuge within our own jurisdiction then we will assuredly extradite them promptly upon receipt of reasonable evidence of their participation.

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Committee for The Strangers,
for
The High Council of Clans,
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed.

Arra Ruberta o Barrdenn-Pale,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Olympic Committee.

OOC edit: Yes, the 'ChairBear of the Committee for the Strangers' (i.e. Foreign Minister) named here is the same Bear as this nation's ambassador at the WA as of 2011 AD. Please bear in mind that according to this nation's [internal] timeline these Games are actually taking place 15 years after RL-current events in the WA... and also, for that matter, 34 years before DBC19...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:13 am

Official Communique of The Sporting Kingdom of Darmen

We would first of all like to send our condolences to all of the family members and friends of the athletes that were so tragicly killed. Secondly, we would like to condemn the actions being undertaken by the Newmanistani Protestors. What you are doing is very uncalled for. Thirdly, we would like to condemn the Government of Newmanistan for not doing enough to stop the Protests and Killings. Fourthly, we commend the Canfundese Security Personel for taking the right course of action by combatting the protestors. And finaly, we would like to assure our own athletes that the IG-2 chaperones will continue to provide them with security.

Duke Francisco Lyons the XIXth
Interim Prime Minister Scat Peari
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:46 am

The last couple of times Nathan had returned to the hotel following a late night visit to Mara's apartment, he'd been greeted with calls of "Phooowwwarrr! Someone better pay the 'banged a local' tax!"

This time everyone seemed to be in a mood of low-intensity panic and Greg, the official who was shepherding the program, who had been tolerant of this sort of thing previously, actually swore at him. "Fucking hell... what were you playing at?", Greg had yelled, before restraining himself as he realised Nathan probably hadn't known about the recent turn of events.

"Alright. Never mind. But no one leaves the hotel, goes anywhere without telling me first, from now on, got it? Off you go."

Something very odd was going on. There was always police and security around, of course, but today there was something quite different, like the increasingly frequent wails of sirens and the guys with the assault rifles marching around.

"Well, guys, when we were going to have an Olympic Experience Program, this certainly was not the experience we had planned. There's no question about the athletes staying, though of course they have a choice. We do not; so you will all be evacuated."

Almost immediately there were groans and protest.

"That will be the end of it! This is not a matter for debate. It is not my decision, and if you've got a problem with it you can go complain to the federation when you get back to Kelssek, but you lot will be going back to Kelssek. It's not a matter of being scared or running away. We aren't essential here, and with security being ramped up we are an unnecessary burden on those whose job it is to keep everyone safe.

"I know you're all very disappointed, but remember what I said last time. You were brought here for a reason, so don't let your Olympic experience end like this. Go back and work your goddamned butts off, and with any luck you'll be at the Olympics again, and you'll be staying no matter what."

Sargossa
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 08, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Sargossa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:56 am

The Island Chronicle

Tarnished Gold?

It's entirely possible that high ranking members of the Sargossan government have been spending far too much time of late listening to sensationalist radio broadcasts emanating from the general direction of the Kytler Peninsulae. Minister of Sport Domingo Orbina being one. After a recent rant from Kytler-ian shock jock Robert Felton insinuated some kind of dirty doings in the women's half of the 100m competition Orbina found himself warming to the subject.

"Something's not right. In the initial heats only three athletes were faster than Adriana Padilla. Three out of the entire field. Yet she couldn't get through the quarter finals. In fact none of the top four in the heats made it past the quarters. Does that sound right? Of course not. What kind of stupid question is that? There's something a-brewing. Mafia involvement? Doped water? Lesbian tinged honey trap involving a teenage Mytanar tennis starlet? All these things are entirely plausible. Obviously I have no actual evidence for any of these things. But that doesn't make them any less plausible.

The fact that the veteran Padilla actually ran a fraction faster in the quarter final than her opening heat, suggesting she was already giving pretty much all she could while those around her were holding something back for later rounds, seems to have been entirely lost.

Elsewhere the Sargossan delegation has remained rather unfazed by the carnage going on around them. Back home the threat of Santazuelan separatists remains constantly at the back of the mind and public acts of terrorism of the type seen in Lasft are not unknown. And streets full of soldiers armed to the teeth are a common enough sight in Sargossa's sprawling cities to make current Cafundeu seem almost like home. And for anyone thinking of taking a pot shot, in the name of baseball of all things, at one of our finest, bear in mind that a healthy portion of our medal tally came in the shooting events. Just a thought.
Champions: Cup of Harmony 41 / Di Bradini Cup 13 / Copa Rushmori V / Copa Rushmori XIV / Copa Rushmori XX / Copa Rushmori XXXVIII / Copa Rushmori XXXIX
Sargossa at the Olympics

" . . . those dictatorship-loving thundertwats . . ."

Cafundeu
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Cafundeu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Cutoff, a bit later than i've imagined.
Monopolists' Sport Achievements:
World Cup Committee President (WCs 55-57)
Cup of Harmony 27 and 48 Champions; World Cup 44 runner-ups

AOCAF 33, DBC 15/17/18 Champions; BoF 19(WC32) runner-ups; Oxen Cup 1/8 Champions; WGPC9 Champions
DBC 16; OFC6; AOCAF27/30 runner-ups; Q-Cup 2 and Women's World Cup 11 Champions

Olympics: Host of V Winter Olympics and VI Summer Olympics - III Summer Olympics: best overall performance
Hosted: WWC8; BoF21 (WC34); BoF30 (WC43); BoF37 (WC50); CoH31; CoH36
HOST OF WORLD CUP 36, WORLD CUP 42, WORLD CUP 48, WORLD CUP 52 AND WORLD CUP 57

Ferkas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferkas » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Olympic Village, Lasft.

The Ministry of Sport had managed to secure a rather large room, which probably served as some kind of conference center most of the time, and had filled it with chairs, putting two elevated tables and a podium in the front. The back of the room was lined with tables holding pitchers of water, even in the worst of times hydration would still be tended to. The athletes, coaches, and staff members all sat quietly, divided mostly by their disciplines. At the front tables sat the assorted head coaches, team managers, and finally, the Minister of Sport. The setting was definetly somber. Despite the fact that most of the athletes were clothed in team issued warm ups, filling the room with red and gold, those at the front table all wore equally dark suits with painfully dull ties. Faces were down turned and, in stark contrast to usual large groups of people with similar issues, there was no whispering going on.

With the last of the trampoline squad seated Sir Luke Partack, Minister of Sport, rose from his seat and walked over to the podium. He adjusted the microphone a bit before speaking, taking the time to look out over the group.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I come before you with sad news. As you all know Mr. Yuri Merkiz was shot earlier today by protesters as he spectated a portion of the 20km walking event. At the time he was rushed to a local hospital for emergency treatment. Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of medical personnel, he passed away a few hours after being brought in."

"As the Minister of Sport I decided to tell you all this now, before the press is also informed. Yuri's family has already been notified, and services are being arranged. When details become clear I will pass them along to those of you who wish to pay your respects to such a fine man."

"I also tell you this to give you an option. If, at this time, you no longer feel safe you may leave to return to the Kingdom, assuming that you have completed your events. Those of you who still have events to complete will have to remain. However, we have done everything within our power to increase the security available to you. A new set of security rules will be sent out to you all tonight, you will have to abide by them. They are for your own safety. Also, we understand that this is a difficult time for all of you. If you need anyone to talk to, feel free to come to your coaches or team managers. A group of counselors are being brought in from Ferkas to help anyone who wishes to talk with them."

He nodded to the group, his face contorted into some odd type of pain, before turning and walking off. The rest of the group sat, drifting out of the room slowly as they felt ready. Several too a great period of time before leaving, their red eyes betraying the tears they had cried. The faces all showed the same thing. A group stretched thin. So much grief, goals that hadn't been realized now compounded the with overarching doom of death. It was a group only a few missteps away from falling apart.
Political Compass: -7.88 Economic, -4.41 Social

Euskirribakondara
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Euskirribakondarian Past Posts

Postby Euskirribakondara » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:08 pm

EUSK1 has posted the RP that were placeholders since last week. Please take that in account for RP Bonus of Day 16.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=131691&p=6801435#p6801435

and

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=131691&p=6811606#p6811606
Euskirribakondara: Prosperity In Diversity
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO)

WHF and WorldVision, Entries and Results
32nd World Hit Festival Winner

Camwood
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Camwood » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:09 pm

The Race
a One Scene Play

Runners line up for the start of the olympic 400 meter semifinal.

Coach: OK Mark, run your hardest, all of Camwood is depending on you.
Shivers: Alright, my ankle kinda hurts.
Coach: Well, then maybe you shouldn't...
Shivers: No! I'm good.

The coach walks away and Shivers get set.

Announcer: Runners on your mark, get ready,
*Gun Shot*

The Runners take off. Shivers gets a two length lead going into the first turn. Coming out of the turn the lead has extended to three lengths. Going into the third turn, Shivers starts to limp and is passed and falls back to third. Just before the wire, Shivers is past does not qualify for finals. The coach walks up to Shivers.

Coach: Bad Ankle, eh?
Shivers: Shut Up
The Republic of Camwood
Demonym: Camian | Trigramme: CMW | Population: 80 Million
Air Camwood
cbcsport.cmw
Champions of:
Keisler Cup - U13 Baseball Tournament
Fourth
WLC 12
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." -Wayne Gretzky

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Bolling: Good Evening Darmen, I'm Mat Bolling here in Cafundeu at the games of the Sixth Olympiad. Alongside me is Brooks McBriar.

McBriar: Hello, and thank you for tuning into DBSC(Darmen Broadcasting Sports Chanel). Tonight we'll take a look at the fifteenth day of the Sixth Olympiad, which are taking place here, in Lasft, Cafundeu.

Bolling: Well we've got very good news. In the Men's 100m dash, Bob Riley took home a bronze medal. In the Semifinals, he finished in third place, with a time of 9.9 seconds. Riley said he felt great going into the finals, and he sure showed it. Finishing with a time of 9.84 seconds, a Darmeni National Record, Riley finished third and took home the bronze. And it's now my honor to welcome Mr. Riley to the show.

Riley: Thanks for having me on.

McBriar: So, how'd it feel to get the bronze?

Riley: Well, disapointing actually. I really wanted the Gold, but I guess I'll settle for Bronze.

McBriar: What was it like to be running with some of the best runners in the world?

Riley: Awsome. I mean it's not every day when you get to run with the best runners in the world.

McBriar: Well it's been great to have you on, Riley.

Riley: My pleasure guy's.

Bolling: In the Men's 400m dash, Dodor Drevan finished a disapointing 20th in the Semifinals, with a time of 45.05, a new Darmeni National Record.

McBriar: It's not often when you don't finish were you'd like to, but still set a National Record.

Bolling: In Men's Field Hockey, Darmen had made it to the Round of 16. But Darmen's opponent, Liventia, thought it was time to send the Darmeni's packing, as Liventia won, two goals to none.

McBriar: It's hard when you're the World Champions and you get beat.

Bolling: Darmen suffered a very disapointing loss to Bergnovinaia in Rugby Sevens, 7 to 31.

McBriar: Bergnovinaia just dominated Darmen, and Darmen just had no way to answer the Bernovinaian's attack.

Bolling: In Gaelic Football, the supprising Darmeni team defeated Sorthern Northland, 24-7, in the Semifinals. Darmen will face Cosumar in the Finals.

McBriar: I'm so glad to see that Darmen is impressing many here in Cafundeu. Hopefully they can get the win in the Finals.

Bolling: And in American Football, Darmen lost 9-34 to that country I can't announce.

McBriar: This result was very disapointing, and I hope Darmen can come back and do well in their upcoming game.

Bolling: Until tomorrow, I'm Mat Bolling...

McBriar: And I'm Brooks McBriar...

Both: Saying 'Good Night' from the Games of the Sixth Olympiad in Lasft, Cafundeu.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Maybe you're in Danhy. It's often Danhy where you'd be the one angry about things in this way. But not always. Shouldn't generalize. Maybe not Danhy. Maybe south Nalchoy, the edge of static. Maybe the capital itself, stoic and clear. Maybe Spenson, slow on the uptake. Slow to realize it's a bleeping rocket on their bleeping flag. Maybe Frischberg, weaving together a prayer. Maybe the FTC, baseball still on your mind ever since the Crabs suddenly got sold, right about matchday three or so.

Maybe you're in Zwangzug. Or maybe not. No generalizations, you told yourself, not too much nationalism. It's stupid, you're maybe the type to say, stupid to say that just because someone comes from the same place as you do to claim you speak for each other. What happens when they do something wrong and you're left with the blame? Better to rise above all that. Even the competitions claiming to pit nation against nation, step back, see from a distance, appreciate the beauty of the game for itself.

But now you can't even do that. Now they've taken that away from you too. Now baseball itself is hijacked, and there is so little now you can grab ahold of, and that is why you seethe.

Maybe you're in Zwangzug. Or maybe you're in Lasft...

..."and they're right, there are people with bigger problems, and I'm just sitting here, and I, I..."

"Shh," said Daniel. "Shh. You're sitting here. That's not going out and killing people, okay? Listen to me. No one has said you're doing anything wrong. Shh."

"And when they do? Then what?"

"Then you count them as one person. Just one among many. You're a...a decent person. You don't make generalizations, you're not lumping all Kelssekians in together because of this, and--"

"And I don't want to go to the Kelssekian house and try and score some late-night bagels either, okay?"

To this, his last remaining tactic preemptively shot down, Daniel had no answer.

"Daniel? Daniel!" came a voice from outside.

"Not the time!" he hollered back.

Rachel stomped away. She was in good spirits about her own performance, certain ordinal numbering issues aside. But she definitely did not trust Daniel.

"You know, this really is a bad time," June volunteered. "No one knows what to do in a time like this."

"Dealing with random athlete death? Pretty sure that was in the random e-mail."

"You're kidding."

"No I'm not, here," said Rachel, booting it up again. Sure enough, there near the end, was a short blurb.

Don't Panic! A guide to dealing with random death

Seriously, though, don't panic. This happens. Without wanting to sound too much like a nutjob, it's not that your mind makes it real or anything, but you're probably not in danger. If you don't want to be killed, odds really are you won't be.

Don't feel guilty if you can't really muster up any emotion. You were lucky enough to be born into (or knowledgeable enough to emigrate to?) Zwangzug, and I once heard that most of us have an "aversion to unhappiness." Nobody back home is likely to know about it. No one will press you for an interview. Just go about your business.

Keep in mind that there are reasons that stuff illegal back home, is illegal back home. Just because you're abroad doesn't mean you should try it. Some of these factors might also have influenced whoever did die.

I'm pretty sure the grief taxes are just adding, like, insult to insult, so try and look on the bright side of death.

"Factors," said June, "are things like alcohol and cars. Although I'm totally with Shinji Murakami on this one. Let's make the Olympics an arms-free zone. And get rid of the shooting events. Then Zwangzug's delegations will be proportionally bigger."

Rachel rolled her eyes.

"Maybe it's a government bureaucrat sending them and you're completely wrong. Would explain how they go on about obeying laws."

"Sending what?" asked Donna Mulak, walking past.

"Those e-mails," Rachel said.

"What e-mails?"

"You know, the random advice documents everyone's been getting...Didn't you get yours today? You competed, right?"

"Yeah," Donna beamed. "But no e-mail."

"Demonstration event," said June.

"No the golfers got them too." At Donna's expression, Rachel continued, "Seriously?"

"Nope," said Donna.

"Whoever was sending them...got hurt in the riots?"

"No one from Zwangzug did, and they're the only ones with these addresses," said June. "So they stopped. Good riddance."
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:56 pm

More Vekaiyuns Find Success
Reporting for V3 News Services, Rin Slakori

CAFUNDEU - The men's rhythmic group placed for silver in what would become a successful day for Vekaiyun athletes. Gymnasts Yero Sakaneski, Viktor Erasavri, and Daszo Ikni'istro each brought a strong routine to the floor to take silver, finishing percentage points behind Cosumar. The three began their performance red-hot, and gave Vekaiyu it's eleventh medal in gymnastics in what has been an impressive Sixth Summer Olympics for the vulpine state.

Ivalsa Sivilino finished her 50m Rifle Prone event in a three-way tie for second place later in the day. She pulled ahead in the final round with an impressive 100.5 score to finish with the silver medal in the event. Not to be outdone, Yva Pivicherostre qualified first for the double-trap event and was a mere three points off the Olympic record for qualification score, set by Christy Anne Finley of Unified Beretania in Aeropag. Pivicherostre, the Caviru native, will look to continue her excellence into the final round.

After three days of grueling work and withstanding a total of seven events that included 87 athletes, Vekaiyun Ika Uleveri took the bronze. In what might be considered the most difficult event to win a medal in, Uleveri gained much ground in the 800m event, the final event of the competition, in which she finished second and amassed 1003 points. The score bumped her from sixth to third.

"I came too far for me to leave this empty-handed," she said after the medal ceremony. "No way I was going to back down now. I gave it my all in the final event."

Elsewhere, Kiro Neveveri and Ehjy Nulasrecho both qualified for their high jump semifinals, Neveveri remaining perfect through five sets. Boxer Yenga Husteriste showed true grit as she defeated opponents 15-7 and 9-4, respectively, while Liviala Erserste repeated her dominance with scores of 13–9 and 11–5. Success did not follow Ivessi Nislavi and Selvala Yukoloshu, however, as the duo did not advance passed round sixteen in the beach volleyball event, losing in three sets. In addition, both men's and women's indoor volleyball teams did not qualify for tournament competition.

Vekaiyu has now amassed 28 medals and will look to continue a successful drive forward with tomorrow's events.
Last edited by Todd McCloud on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Qazox at the 6th Summer Games

Lafst, Cafundeu--
Day 15:

Athletics:

Men's 400m Semifinals-
Oliver Johnson: 44.84 (t10th, did not advance)

Oliver Johnson set a new personal best, but missed out on the final by 0.10 seconds.

That was it. Nothign else today for Qazoxian athletes. Why'd we even bother having this even posted?
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:02 pm

The Royal Palace was a somber place this morning. Emperor Michael IV had received word of the tragedy instigated by Newmanistanians, and was disgusted. He thought that he had issued a firm warning about this following the incident at the swimming venue, and never thought it would escalate despite of that. For him, that would be enough of a criminal offense for direct disobedience of an imperial decree. He thought about the nations directly affected. Cyborg Holland.... Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuk.... Ferkas.... and the one that bothered him the most from the killings, Delaclava. Kelssek had previously been affected. His friend Richard Valdemar from The Babbage Islands had to be hospitalized. Newmanistan was now associated with terrorism, and had been criticized by nations in which the Empire holds a lot of respect for. How much of that would be reciprocated now? The Emperor paused, as he wanted to think that he had nothing to do with this. He didn’t approve of this, and this was something done by a group of rebels. A firm statement could be released in condemnation of it, but how much of that would be sincere? After all, he approved of protests in Cafundeu, though of the peaceful variety. Signs, and chanting, and perhaps he would even pay the costs associated with doing this sort of thing in Cafundeu. The word needed to get out that baseball should return to the Olympics as a medal event, and that the 4th wall approach of the Olympic Charter that he never approved of to begin with, would likely keep it from ever being competed for medals. Just maybe, a peaceful statement could change that. But now? Forget that now. All these rioters and terrorists have done is make it further hopeless that baseball will ever be a medal sport.

He had to make a statement, and set up for the following to be televised across the Empire and to anywhere else that would have wished to receive it.

Code: Select all
“Yesterday may have just been one of the most difficult days in this history of our glorious nation.  The unspeakable tragedy that in occurred in Lafst, the location of the Summer Olympics is something that should never take place in a sporting competition, especially one that promotes peace and harmony across the world. It is incomprehensible to me that the people involved would be Newmanistanian. We are a peaceful people. Our conduct in international events up to this point has always been top class.   We have, in many instances, been a host of international events, and have done nothing but open our arms to people of all nations that want to pay us a visit. We have been grateful hosts, and that has always been reciprocated...... (hesitation)

I understand that people are disappointed about baseball’s status in the Olympics. It is why we chose to boycott them. We can make statements putting down the decision of the Olympic Committee, and the 4th Wall approach of the Olympic Charter, which we’ve never been in support of, but we do not do more then that...... (hesitation)

I cannot understand what is running through the heads of the criminals running loose in Cafundeu right now. As for the ones in custody, we don’t want you back. Cafundeu law enforcement can execute you for all I care. You have disgraced the great history of Newmanistan.   Everyone there that is planning on further crimes, I command you to stop these thoughts. Stop these actions. Turn yourself in if you have done something, or come home if you have not and are thinking about it. It must be difficult now for Newmanistanians who went to Cafundeu to legitmately watch the Olympics. Now they must be looked at as potential criminals even if they are just sickened by what has happened as the rest of us. To those people, I suggest a return to Newmanistan as well. You may not be in the best situation right now....   (Hesitation)

To the families of Jemma Flack and Cammie Adams of Cyborg Holland; John Cash of ABK; Masiah Cora of Delaclava; and Yuri Merkiz of Ferkas, I sincerely apologize for what happened and can’t start to feel your pain of what was supposed to be a wonderful moment for these athletes. Please, if there is anything the Royal Palace of Newmanistan can do, let us know. Please, understand that the people involved do not represent the vast majority of Newmanistan who are a peace loving people.    To the governments and law enforcements of these nations, we will do what we can to work with you though the people responsible for all of these acts are either dead themselves, or in the hands of Cafundeu law enforcement, and we do not intend to get in the away of Cafundeu law..... (Hesitation)

There is word now too, that a man by the name of Brock Anniston is leading this rebellion. Brock, turn yourself in immediately. Not only are you public enemy #1 of the nations which have been affected by these crimes, but of Newmanistan as well. However now I want to speak to those following him, and listen up. I am sure that Anniston is going to be stubborn and belligerent and not heed the warning. He knows he is wanted many different national law enforcement agencies, and will do whatever he can to survive. Those of you following him are not in as desperate of a situation if you have not yet acted in on any of these crimes. What you need to do is cut your ties with him now before you are wanted and can suffer the same fate the he, ultimately, will. Without you, he can do nothing. You are the ones that can stop him now. If you’re afraid to turn him in, then just come home. Though we would prefer to get all the help we can get..... (hesitation)

To other nations, presently Newmanistanian law enforcement has not gotten the go-ahead to go into Cafundeu and also attempt to seek out Anniston. Until we can get this approval, our efforts to put an end to this situation are limited. We are working with other national law enforcement agencies, and I thank them for their support. I making arrangements at this time to make a visit to Cafundeu myself in the near future.”

- - - -

Ashley (Brock’s “girlfriend”) was watching the televised statement as Brock was showering, but he came out before the statement ended.

“Brock, can it....” (Interrupted)

(Read this as being said in a very sarcastic tone) “Yes, sweetie. Yes, yes it can stop. In fact, let’s leave today. Go to the car and pull it up to side of the hotel, that area near the courtyard where the people are eating lunch seems good. I will pack up the suitcases and meet you there in about 15-20 minutes. You relax, sweetie.”

A little bit surprised by that, Ashley asks for re-assurance, gets it, and goes to the car and pulls up to where she was told too.

With Ashley gone, Brock phones his friend, “Pull up to the front now and we can get out of here. The nag is gone and that bomb in her car goes off in 15 minutes.” The person on the other end obliges, and soon enough he and Brock have fled the area.

Meanwhile, Ashley sat in the car, petrified. She wanted to turn Brock in, though wondered if maybe he was changing back to the Brock Anniston she once considered her boyfriend. She wanted to, very, very badly, turn him in, now. She could easily run, but she was scared, because she knew she’d be considered an accomplise when she never agreed to any of this and was essentially a hostage for the last few days. Her body shook and trembled with fear and for a second she felt confident enough to get out of the car and take a few steps toward the front to call the police. But she stopped, and walked back to the car. Her crying caught the attention of some of the people eating lunch but no one cared enough to see what was wrong. As the tears ran down her eyes, it messed up her makeup and she opened up the trunk to get her makeup bag.

“AHHHHH!!!!!” She screamed and fell to her knees crying. She had noticed the bomb and saw there was 8 minutes and 33 seconds left before detonation. Brock had tricked her and was going to kill her, and many others if this went off. Her scream this time got some of the people in the courtyard to run to her aid, and she pointed it out to the people, and explained the situation while crying profusely. Fortunately, for everyone, among the people in the area was someone knowledgeable enough to disarm the bomb in time. Fortunately for Ashley, these people could tell by how she was acting that she had been set up.

The potential tragedy had been averted and Ashley went with Cafundeu law enforcement to tell them everything she knew. Meanwhile, away from the scene Brock listened to the news waiting to hear about the successful explosion and was stunned when he heard what had transpired. The worst part now was that Ashley was away from him, and now working with the police.

Should he flee? Turn himself in? Or make a final stand?

“Wasn’t this about baseball?” His friend asked.... before he was shot by Anniston. “Fool, it has nothing to do with baseball anymore.”
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

New Montreal States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby New Montreal States » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:08 am

RAPIDE SECOND-FASTEST MAN IN THE WORLD

100m silver lone bright spot in athletics as expensive side disappoints

LASFT, Cafundéu - Jean-Jacques Rapide is the second fastest man in the world.

He officially attained to this status this morning in Lasft, where he posted a 9.78 time in the Men's 100m finals. Although this easily set a new record for the NMS, it was not enough to earn him the gold, which went instead to Akbarabad's Anisur Rahman. He ran a 9.73 for his gold medal.

"I am a very good runner," said Rapide. "So is Rahman. A pity that he was faster when it mattered the most."

Rapide, visibly disappointed in himself for not winning outright, was in an existential mood when speaking to the press.

"What does it say about our nation that we finished second in the 100m and the Men's Gymnastics team?" he asked. "Our best known sporting achievement is a second-place finish in the world cup. Are we really second best when the prestige is on the line?" This attitude was not helped by Sondrine Lagardie's second-place finish in the women's 10000m swimming event.

"Oh go f**k yourselves," suggested Lagardie when she was told about the existential crisis. "Be grateful for what you've got and move on. I'm happy. Screw you."

"Eat mace, asshole!" said tourist Geoff Vailliancourt when told about Lagardie's pugnacious reaction. "You reporter types are too damn nosy for your own good and ought to be taken down a notch or eight."

FAT PEOPLE REJOICE ACROSS NMS

Legros-Lépais brings home the bacon with Greco-Roman gold

LASFT, Cafundéu - One man not suffering from any existential crisis is Noel Legros-Lépais. Devouring his competition as if they were a plate of juicy, delicious cheeseburgers smothered in condiments, Legros-Lépais threw his weight around on the mat as he beat Jason Hughes of The Babbage Islands 5-0 in the gold medal match. He had earlier beaten eventual bronze medalist Hayden Flanagan in his semifinal.

It was never much of a contest as Legros-Lépais broke his opponent's hold very early in the match, then gradually built his lead over Hughes through steady domination.

Portly Nouveau Montréalais, meanwhile, were ecstatic over the athletic success of one of their own.

"It just goes to show that if you eat enough cheesesteaks, good things will come to you," said major lardo Gerald Burns of Angiers. "Legros-Lépais has really shown us fatties the way to social acceptance - pummel it out of an unsympathetic society."
Last edited by New Montreal States on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
WBC 26 champions!
4th place finishers, World Cup 11; 2nd place finishers World Cup 31; Cup of Harmony 53 winners
Co-hosts of World Cup 28 and Cup of Harmony 16 with The Archregimancy; co-hosts of World Cup 64 and Cup of Harmony 54 with Wight; co-hosts of Cup of Harmony 50 with Vilita

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 am

Mesoland in Gold and Silver success, with medals in Triple Jump and 1500m Respectively!

"Welcome to Olympic Roundup on MBC Radio 1. Full coverage of every event is on MBC Radio 1 Sports Xtra, for Digital DAB listeners, and can also be found on television station MBC 2. Just hit the red button for highlights and the full roundup. Now, firstly, off to Praia do Farofeiro, where the Women's 2 Person Dinghy has been doing well on Race Day 5/6. The team of Nugiyama Ambesento and Himari Guridogo are currently placed in line for a Bronze medal. We can also report that they have just 32 points overall, and that they won Race 4. Unfortunately, there was no other particular success for the Women's Sailing today. In the Men's One person Dinghy, Clive Burcham now stands in 5th place, while in the Men's 2 Person Dinghy, him and his team-mate Alexander Ugavango are 3rd."

"Now to a Meso medal winner. 24 year old Kiran Maroti from Giluwi, a small town in the Mezafrikaans speaking region of Taakejiweije, was Taakejiweijean champion of 1500m at 14, and Meso champion at 22. This showed in his impressive display at the Estadio Anchieta in Lafst. Saving his energy, he qualified for the final in 4th. Then, in the final, he really pulled out all of the stops. He blitzed the race with a time of 3:33.80, just 0.67 behind winner, aptly named Bergot Lemonslime of Taeshan. Ilmari Uosukainen of Mytanar managed a Bronze. Unfortunately, Timothy Asmoa failed to progress past the Semi-Finals."

"19 year old Zemba Tongi from Tabarak will be partying tonight, with his 1st place qualification for the Men's High Jump. He was joint first with 8 other competitors, all getting clean jumps, and all getting a top jump of 2.32. Unfortunately, Harald Geystard, who's family moved from Sweden 80 years ago, only managed 27th, just one spot off qualification! The other Meso attempting the High Jump, 15 year old Sean Geran, was joint last with 8 others, with a jump of 2.10."

"Now to our glorious Gold medallist, Pirenobu Tabarak, from the capital Tabarak (funny, huh?). She won our 3rd Gold medal, and our 10th medal overall, in the Women's Triple Jump final, with a Meso record, and a 3rd in the world, winning jump of 15.36. Her name was engraved onto a placque in Athlete's Hall, Tabarak last night, and the IAAF has verified her 3rd in World Placing. The Silver was won by Brianne Newkirk of USA, and the Bronze went to Rubaina Hamid of Akbarabad. Well done Pirenobu!"

OOC: I originally made a huge post, finished it, and then when I submitted it, I found that I was logged off, so sorry that this new one is short.

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:52 am

Vulshainian Olympic News

Day 15: Bronze Won in the Hammer Toss

Hello everyone! This is Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN's Vulshainian Olympic News reporting live from Lasft, Cafundeu!

Yesterday marked another bronze medal for Vulshain as Darius Voldemaras placed third in the Men's Hammer Toss.

Sadly, none of the beach volleyball teams made it to the finals. Nikodem Zinoviy said, "It was good run. We'll need to practice a lot more for next year."

I wasn't able to talk to the other athletes due to heightened security, but I can ensure our viewers that the Confederate Protection Guards (CPGs), Vulshain's Royal Secret Service are doing everything they can to protect Vulshain's athletes.

This has been Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN coming live from Lasft, Cafundeu, wishing everyone competing today good luck! I also send my condolences to the victims of the shooting as well.

Ernest Pan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ernest Pan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:07 am

Pugilist Dictator Seems Earnest Ahead of Initial Rounds in Lasft

Ernest Pan, the leader of the Free Land, had not boxed competitively since his first display on the international stage over two months ago. That was in Al-Mumtaz, and had teemed with action. Pan, having been on the wrong end of a split decision to Osarian Akachi Koné, infamously excoriated the judges for being "amaurotic boneheads". He also threatened the press in that championship, answered questions in Latin, and sent ripples of unease through crowds of journalists with pernicious remarks about opponents. Inside the ring, he stormed to three consecutive victories after that opening loss and took the Bronze Phoenix Medal.

Lasft seemed, in some ways, a huge distance from those escapades. This was mostly down to Pan's participation in all three fencing events earlier in the Olympics. He replicated the poor performances that saw him fail in his own Agon back home, and was summarily eliminated - as expected - while his young charge Ozelotl had shown bountiful promise. But pugilism was Pan's game.

Alas, it was not alone in being so. In between composing Sanskrit poetry, betwixt numerous visions and omens and hallucinations, the Free Land's leader found little time to spar in Cafundéu. When he did, the sessions were not without a sizeable dollop of difficulty. Huge masses of journalists gathered to see him. Assailed constantly and understandably with regard to the authoritarian policies that left a population putrefying at home, Pan - as was his wont - lashed out. "Well, bark, ye dogs: I'll bridle all your tongues, and bind them close with bits of burnished steel!" declared he, wildly and scathingly. And such high astounding terms poured forth all week from his absinthe-whetted mouth.

Gradually, his boxing abilities were whetted too. Pan did not have to worry so much about taking blows even in spite of his propensity to draw blood easily. In possession of tremendous will and an equally sturdy chin, he was impervious to the gushing of crimson and nasty contortions and throbbing contusions that would inevitably afflict him. He had led a country to its independence, for goodness' sake! Combine that with a gadfly-esque in-fighting style and considerable power, and his relative lack of height becomes an irrelevance.

Whatever the case, Pan will be looking to throw dazzling and incisive fulminations later on. Whether they will come inside or outside of the ring is totally up to him.

Chenkorya
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chenkorya » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:46 am

The Olympic Quiz

Camellia: Hello everybody, it is 20.00, my name is Camellia Fiechter and welcome at the Olympics Quiz.

*Intro tune*

Camellia: Welcome ladies en gentlemen, you're watching the Olympic Quiz at CBU1. Today we have two new candidates. On the left we have Tàmhas Knudsen, participated in the steeplechase and finished fourth. On the right we have Mauricia de Sauveterre, gold medal winner for Chenkorya in Greco-roman wrestling. Welcome both.

Mauricia: Thank you.

Tàmhas: Hello!

Camellia: Let's start with the first round of the Olympic Quiz of today. Let's start with the Olympiade of this year. What was the first event of the whole Olympic Games?

Mauricia: Uhm... judo?

Camellia: No, that's wrong. Tàmhas?

Tàmhas: I think it was archery.

Camellia: That's right. One point Tàmhas, zero for Mauricia. Next question. To who was the first medal of this year awarded, and from what country was that person? 0,5 point for only the nation.

Tàmhas: Krytenia? I really don't know, haha.

Camellia: No, that's wrong. Mauricia, do you know it?

Mauricia: Bearistan? Or something like that. Bears Armed?

Camellia: Yes, that's right! I guess you don't know the name of that medalist?

Mauricia: Erm, indeed.

Camellia: Well, that makes 1 for Tàmhas and 0.5 for Mauricia. We're going to the next question. The next question is about badminton. Who was our bronze medal medalist at the women's: Venczel, Rao or Pasternack?

Mauricia: Rao. For sure. Hehe, I was first.

Camellia: Right. That changes the points, 1 for Tàmhas and 1.5 for Mauricia!

Mauricia: Yay!

Camellia: What was the first medal for Chenkorya on the Olympics ever and by who was it won?

Mauricia: Li, Admundsen, Traviss and...

Tàmhas: Nichi! Li, Admundsen, Traviss and Nichi, silver medal at the 4x100 m Freestyle relay. Right, eh?

Camellia: Yes, it is. That brings you to three, cause this question was 2 points. So 3 for Tàmhas, 1.5 for Mauricia. Next question. Cause of some little problems a volleyball match had to be played somewhere else as in the venue. Where was that?

Tàmhas: The toilet of the minister president of Cafundéu?

Mauricia: I absolutely don't know, really.

Camellia: Nobody? It was the backyard of the Cafundeulense Olympic Committee. I have to tell you that this is the end of today's show, so the winner is Tàmhas! Congratulations Tàmhas your present isn't a medal, but I think bonbons are good too, aren't they? See you tomorrow, with Gustavo Li and our flag-bearer Blanca Stablum!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports