NATION

PASSWORD

International Basketball OOC Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:22 pm

Vangaziland wrote:I already knew I wasn't going to win this debate, because status quo always says wait for other tournaments and since that is the usual practice, any change will make people nervous. That leads to people rushing to defend the status quo.

The World Cup is basically over. So I understand about the Bowl and Lacrosse. The thing is, their signups have already started. They'll be starting way sooner than us. So if we had signups open for 2 weeks, then a week of host bidding.. That's almost a month. Waiting for all these tournaments to end before we start signups and get host bids is going to stall us in a way where there will be no end in sight.
We don't have to rush into the RP game phase... Think, a roster thread can be posted and left up for a week or two. Then when the tournaments end, we can start. It doesn't take any RPing time to start a signup thread and get organized.

As far as the NSCAA, they are also in a pattern of taking their time to get started. I understand people are nervous about starting right now. But the NSCAA is in standby mode right now. Think, that tournament is supposed to be happening around March Madness. It's almost April.

I agree that now is not the time to start RPing games... Now might still be a good time to start signing up and planning. At least once the World Bowl and Lacrosse start.

Also, don't forget the point about the fact that other RPs will keep popping up, like the Baseball Slam. Domestic newswires have nothing to do with the IBC. If you want to play with your domestics, then that's where your time is allocated. Nobody needs to work around that.

But having said all this, if you all truly don't want to start then fine. Let's just sit on our hands and ignore the IBC and sign up for lacrosse.

You're really missing out on the picture, aren't you?

This isn't about status quo, but actually being able to get users to balance RP schedules so they won't be going through overload in tournaments they (want to) RP, leading to general downturn in RP level for many tournaments. I've seen that happen too often (most recently with WCoH RP level going down due to screw ups in scheduling mostly on my fault as Federation President) and really it's what we're trying to prevent rn.

World Bowl's started early in signups because they take little bit slower and longer than the other two. Why? It's just the way it's been going with it. But it also takes much less time than IBC and WCoH so that won't lead to conflicting schedules with them.

WCoH on the other hand goes fast enough on signup procedure but takes forever on playoffs, and same thing goes to IBC. Fortunately they rarely have similar people interested in it and even if they do, they will put one over another.

But WB has lots of RPers who RP both WB and either of IBC or WCoH. So that's why it makes sense for them to go first: Once the WB is close to ending, WCoH and IBC will be ready to take over. But the latter needs to happen after NSCAA wraps up, so that people can still rest after the NSCAA.

Now going back to NSCAA aligning with all this: relax- WB isn't going to start anytime soon and so are other two. What's the rush? There's no obligation for us to follow the RL schedule. Another WC cycle will be over tomorrow and in adjusting to the off-cycle some adjustment period will be required. It will take few days but no longer than a week.

Two last words: 1) Lacrosse is a very minor sport in NSCAA and heck, WLC at times has had even lower participation level than WJHC. Very few people give a shit about it.

2) Baseball's been on decline for god knows how long and IBS is not a major tournament in any standpoint.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:27 pm

The elephant in the room is that we probably should have started a little earlier... But we had problems with the last president, where he quit around the time we should have started.

So okay, let's wait indefinitely.

So yes Quebec, I see things just fine.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Vangaziland wrote:The elephant in the room is that we probably should have started a little earlier... But we had problems with the last president, where he quit around the time we should have started.

So okay, let's wait indefinitely.

So yes Quebec, I see things just fine.

Earlier would not have worked because it would've led to conflicting with the whole WC cycle, which can take up to a month and half. You may not be taking part in WC but should understand that WC is the primary engine of the NSSport and therefore it matters not to conflict with it or have the scheduling set so it will not conflict. In addition, I had my RL issues that are far too long to list and that more experienced members of the NSSport understand. RL > NS.

I think the elephant in the room is that there are few overeager people in this room who seems to be overeager with taking initiative without actually doing things. Especially by constantly pestering people without being constructive...
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Don't worry. I'm going to sit and watch and wait. And the end result will be that we'll have the same RP participation that we would if we opened signups and host bids now.

It's pointless to argue on nationstates because the status quo always wins. Quebec basically just said none of the other tournaments are a major threat to us, but for some reason, he still feels hesitant to start.

You guys want to stall, fine, I just want to make it known that not everybody wants to stall and that not everyone believes the forced opinion that other tournaments would limit RP production. But if you want to believe that forced opinion, I'm okay with it, I'll just focus on NSCAA if that starts anytime soon.
Last edited by Vangaziland on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Because everyone lives on Nationstates and can rp in all tournaments all the time...

There is a such thing as time. It does tend to limit the amount of rp'ing people can do.
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Vangaziland wrote:Don't worry. I'm going to sit and watch and wait. And the end result will be that we'll have the same RP participation that we would if we opened signups and host bids now.

It's pointless to argue on nationstates because the status quo always win. Quebec basically just said none of the other tournaments are a major threat to us, but for some reason, he still feels hesitant to start.

You guys want to stall, fine, I just want to make it known that not everybody wants to stall and that not everyone believes the forced opinion that other tournaments would stall us. But if you want to believe that forced opinion, I'm okay with it, I'll just focus on NSCAA if that starts anytime soon.

Well if you open it now you're going to conflict with WB and other competitions, especially since both NSCAA and IBC takes long time.

NSCAA takes forever from beginning to end. Do we want competitions to overlap? NSCAA's more or less doable because of its nature over past tournaments while IBC is not.

WCoH 20 has had the lowest RP total in recent history (and that was the first one I were in) because of all the other competitions in the same time and the scheduling reasons. I've seen the same with a couple that I've hosted: 26 and 28, because they partially overlapped with either and often both of (though never in same time, just at beginning and ending) WCoH, IBC, BoF, etc.....people have RL you know. It's unrealistic to expect more than few RPers to RP more than 1 tournament properly, let alone 2.

You also missed out on what I said with my response because your proposal of IBC and NSCAA will conflict with World Bowl and even WBC (though that's lesser of concern). People also needs to rest after the NSCAA and overlapping it with IBC is not doing that at all.

Listen. You're the only one who really wants this to get ahead. Others know better than that, and some recommended conducts, in following: 1) stop pestering people to the point where they will be tired of you 2) making conspiracy theories of community/de facto working against the minority as if the majority's an uncooperative bunch 3) not reading through and just ignoring what others are saying.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Vangaziland wrote:
You guys want to stall, fine, I just want to make it known that not everybody wants to stall and that not everyone believes the forced opinion that other tournaments would limit RP production. But if you want to believe that forced opinion, I'm okay with it, I'll just focus on NSCAA if that starts anytime soon.

I'm done. Feel free to join in and comment late to stir things up, when I'm just showing I give a crap about this tournament.

People being rude condescending snobs is so much more acceptable than me trying to get some motivation going.

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:57 pm

I am not into this but please, let's calm this and purpose constructive feedback, bringing those things back won't help in anything.

Vang: There's no status quo, and you have to understand that everything can't go at the same time, that causes burnout and people would leave NS, it works like picking schedules to your RL free time, you do what you want when you want, as NS is a leasure activity, hence we don't need such a strict and stressing organisation in this, we are here to entertain ourselves by RPing. Also, it's bad taste claiming inefficacy in the previous president when he had logical reasons to leave, as I said earlier, NS is a leasure activity and not a priority in life, and I'm witness of Québec's inactivity due to RL reasons, as we frequently talk to each other.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Okay it's good to see some productive discussion above about the merits of waiting and not waiting, but I made it clear in the first post that I was concerned about the timing of when NSCAA was to start, not necessarily the start times of other tournaments, because of the main fact that they are the same sport.

I have absolutely no qualms with clashing with the other American sports, mainly because in my opinion, there is only a small overlap (I can only think of a few RPers), who participate in basketball and other American sports (you should know who you are), and in that case, there wouldn't be that much of an effect of decreased roleplaying. But, what I am worried about is having two basketball tournaments at the same time. It just wouldn't work, because in that case, the overlap would be much, much larger. I am not in the business of cannibalising tournaments, case in point the Winter Olympics: I delayed it by three more weeks to avoid World Cup qualification (though not finals), so that RP activity could be maximised because of fallen numbers. Same thing here.

There will be one per cycle. There always is a basketball tournament per cycle. I'm scheduling in two weeks of sign-ups, followed by a week of host-bid voting, which is why I agree with Saintland when I should open signups 2 to 3 weeks before the NSCAA finishes, which goes back to my original point in that I was waiting for the timing of the NSCAA. In the IRC, I am already aware of the machinations behind the NSCAA (I have been told it will last for a few weeks), the draw is being finalised, and as soon as the World Cup is over, the thread will go up. NSCAA happens only once a year, I think it would be a courtesy that we wait for that to finish: We could start whenever we want after WC 75/76. This is just a one-off occurrence. So everyone, just relax.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Saint Kanye
Minister

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Why don't we call the next IBC, IBC XX? That sounds so much cooler than 20.
Gale Force Racing (NSSCRA Main Tier)
18 Jeremiah Brooke (S9 Champ, S13 Runner-up) | 27 Stacie Houston (S7 Champ, S12 Runner-up) | 46 Thea Alvarez (S10 Runner-up)

Skip Stiller Speedworks (NSSCRA Second Tier)
20 Sage Caldwell | 22 Pyotr Lavrentiev (S13 Champion) | 30 Lexi Patterson

Champion:
IBC 20, 22, 23, 24 (Basketball)
NSCAA 11 (College Basketball)
IC7 II, VI (7ball)
Arena Bowl VI (Arena Gridiron)
NSSCRA 9 (Stock Car Racing)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Saint Kanye wrote:Why don't we call the next IBC, IBC XX? That sounds so much cooler than 20.

It's up to the host. However, I may use that in my bid, depending what my partner says.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Aji No Moto
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aji No Moto » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Club basketball, anyone?

Submission for IUBC entries will be open until the 8th of May, so start sending your entries!
AJI NO MOTO
Capital: Joshuyo | Trigram: ANM | Leader: Prime Minister Yoshimori Midoriyama | Region: Atlantian Oceania
OOC Puppet of Filindostan. Direct TGs to that nation.

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:05 am

Oh another basketball tournament. We should wait until it finishes too now, huh? :)

The NSCAA hasn't started yet, just for the update. There seems to be a bit of a stall actually. So I hope the wait is going well for everybody... ;)

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:19 am

Vangaziland wrote:Oh another basketball tournament. We should wait until it finishes too now, huh? :)

The NSCAA hasn't started yet, just for the update. There seems to be a bit of a stall actually. So I hope the wait is going well for everybody... ;)

As Electrum said earlier, timing of NSCAA is really the key factor in opening the IBC signup thread.

It's due to a factor nobody had thought of, when we discussed this 2-3 weeks ago: USI, since then, has been going through a tough phase in his life where he's not able to immediately update things, hence the delay by few days. Nobody predicted that, and that's life I guess.

Please understand that it's temporary though, and it looks like the general consensus is to get the scorination started in 3-4 days. Once the NSCAA is underway, signups will be open in around a week or two into the competition so signups will come.....sooner than later. Also due to the way things have been shaping up as of late, it'll certainly not conflict with BoF/WCQ, so it's going to be fine.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:46 am

I wouldn't say Electrum is at fault. He even started the RP and Roster threads. The problem is the stalling when it comes to questions. We need to find out how long people need to come up with schedules and they just aren't responding. So they'll get around to it anyway. But it has nothing to do with Electrum or any administration. Just that maybe people aren't so wrapped up in the NSCAA as people thought. No biggie. We'll get around to it anyway...

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:50 am

Vangaziland wrote:I wouldn't say Electrum is at fault. He even started the RP and Roster threads. The problem is the stalling when it comes to questions. We need to find out how long people need to come up with schedules and they just aren't responding. So they'll get around to it anyway. But it has nothing to do with Electrum or any administration. Just that maybe people aren't so wrapped up in the NSCAA as people thought. No biggie. We'll get around to it anyway...

I hope so. Last few weeks have been busy for people with exams and whatnot so it's been hard to gain interest.

I'll make my response to the NSCAA thread and post my planned schedule for the Caraqueno conferences once I wake up in the morning.

Happy 420 Friends!

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:28 am

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:
Vangaziland wrote:I wouldn't say Electrum is at fault. He even started the RP and Roster threads. The problem is the stalling when it comes to questions. We need to find out how long people need to come up with schedules and they just aren't responding. So they'll get around to it anyway. But it has nothing to do with Electrum or any administration. Just that maybe people aren't so wrapped up in the NSCAA as people thought. No biggie. We'll get around to it anyway...

I hope so. Last few weeks have been busy for people with exams and whatnot so it's been hard to gain interest.

I'll make my response to the NSCAA thread and post my planned schedule for the Caraqueno conferences once I wake up in the morning.

NSCAA's first day will co-incide with the first day of sign-ups for IBC guaranteed.

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:48 am

Oh, I see what you were trying to say Quebec. Everything is on track here... Cheers.

Chromatika
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Chromatika » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:46 am

Aji No Moto wrote:Club basketball, anyone?

Submission for IUBC entries will be open until the 8th of May, so start sending your entries!

Glad to see my brainchild is still alive. I will definitely be submitting teams. :hug:
Former User of the Nations of Yesopalitha and Falconfar

Champion: WBC 52, NSCF 24, 26, 28, and CoH 82
Regional Tournaments: AOCAF 55 Champions, 52 & 63 Runners-Up
WC Proper Appearances: Second Place: 93 Semifinals: 76 Quarterfinals: 77, 78 Round of Sixteen: 79, 80, 87, 88, 92 Group Stage: 81, 83, 84, 86, 89
CoH Appearances: 77 (Ro16), 85 (Ro16), 90 (Champions), 91 (QF)
KPB Ranking: 5 (Pre 95)
RP Population: 22 million

Aji No Moto
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aji No Moto » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 am

Chromatika wrote:
Aji No Moto wrote:Club basketball, anyone?

Glad to see my brainchild is still alive. I will definitely be submitting teams. :hug:

Thanks.

By the way, I just want to reiterate that this is for domestic club basketball, similar to UICA but basketball as the sports of choice.
AJI NO MOTO
Capital: Joshuyo | Trigram: ANM | Leader: Prime Minister Yoshimori Midoriyama | Region: Atlantian Oceania
OOC Puppet of Filindostan. Direct TGs to that nation.

Chromatika
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Chromatika » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:16 am

Aji No Moto wrote:
Chromatika wrote:Glad to see my brainchild is still alive. I will definitely be submitting teams. :hug:

Thanks.

By the way, I just want to reiterate that this is for domestic club basketball, similar to UICA but basketball as the sports of choice.

Uh did I do something wrong?
Former User of the Nations of Yesopalitha and Falconfar

Champion: WBC 52, NSCF 24, 26, 28, and CoH 82
Regional Tournaments: AOCAF 55 Champions, 52 & 63 Runners-Up
WC Proper Appearances: Second Place: 93 Semifinals: 76 Quarterfinals: 77, 78 Round of Sixteen: 79, 80, 87, 88, 92 Group Stage: 81, 83, 84, 86, 89
CoH Appearances: 77 (Ro16), 85 (Ro16), 90 (Champions), 91 (QF)
KPB Ranking: 5 (Pre 95)
RP Population: 22 million

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:56 am

I get that it's for domestic clubs, but you say you are running it as a newswire, not a tournament. That's different than whether or not it's about domestic clubs, but really focuses on one host vs everyone submitting newswires. I see newswires as something that one person usually scorinates themselves, maybe here everyone would scorinate their four teams.

I'm still not sure if its a tournament or a place to post newswires.The sign up sounds like a tournament. Newswire threads get less attention than tournaments usually.

We can see that the teams are club teams, that's obvious.

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Since Electrum forgot to post here

Postby Drawkland » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:51 pm

United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:33 pm

As IBO President, I have appointed Saintland to be the Vice-President.

Furthermore, I shall move his amendment for a vote at the same time as the host vote.

Saintland wrote:
Section 3: Any IBO member may nominate any other IBO member for the Presidency. All members who are nominated for President will be placed before the IBO as candidates for the Presidency unless they state that they do not wish to serve as President.

Saint Kanye
Minister

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Sun May 01, 2016 7:07 am

Looks like the host will be Ceni, as it's unopposed and the deadline's less than a day away.

And who wants uniforms? TG me with details.
Last edited by Saint Kanye on Sun May 01, 2016 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gale Force Racing (NSSCRA Main Tier)
18 Jeremiah Brooke (S9 Champ, S13 Runner-up) | 27 Stacie Houston (S7 Champ, S12 Runner-up) | 46 Thea Alvarez (S10 Runner-up)

Skip Stiller Speedworks (NSSCRA Second Tier)
20 Sage Caldwell | 22 Pyotr Lavrentiev (S13 Champion) | 30 Lexi Patterson

Champion:
IBC 20, 22, 23, 24 (Basketball)
NSCAA 11 (College Basketball)
IC7 II, VI (7ball)
Arena Bowl VI (Arena Gridiron)
NSSCRA 9 (Stock Car Racing)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19