NATION

PASSWORD

NSCF 3 RP/Roster Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Churchma
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Churchma » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 pm

3/14, 6/11 Cutoff
Scores
Last edited by Churchma on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHAMPIONS- Baptism of Iron 6, Cup of Harmony 45, Two ITA Titles
RUNNER UPS- World Lacrosse Championships 10, Saugeais Baseball Tournament
THIRD PLACE- NSCF 1
SEMIFINALS- World Softball Classic 1, World Baseball Classic 19
QUARTERFINALS- NS Arena Bowl 0, NSAB 1, NSCF 2
FOUNDER- Nation States College Football (NSCF)

Map of Churchma
Important Sports Info

Jimmer Fredette
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

BOU Moves On

Postby Jimmer Fredette » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:10 am

Jimmer Fredette Daily
Sports
By:John Jackson

Here's the call from WBBM Jimmer Range Radio Station:Eirikssonia about to put this game away.Up 24-21 with 20 seconds left.All they need to do is kick the field goal and our season is over.The kick is up and......BLOCKED!Picked up by Zach Nodal,and he's at the 10,the 5,TOUCHDOWN!!!BOU WINS!BOU WINS!BOU WINS!WE"RE GOING TO THE QUARTERS!

That pretty much shows it all.BOU wins 27-24 on a blocked field goal.It wasn't another blow out,but it will be remembered forever.Coach Jackson said he is very proud of this team of never giving up,even though I'm sure all of us thought our season was over,but it's not,we're going to the next round to play a great Frbiba State team.Nick Wooden could barley speak.From what I could tell he said there is never going to be a more exciting game then we just played today.And Zach is never going to forget this ever.I can't even speak right now and now it's going to be hard to chose between getting ready for the next game,or getting drunk.Zach Nodal said when he blocked the ball he thought the game was over,he didn't think he would ever be able to make it to the end zone.Now the series between us and Eirikssonia is over and it has gone to us.We can be named the best Big Eight team,Eirikssonia,Saugeais State,and Bugny A&M all lost.There's going to be a new champion this year because Eirikssonia is gone!Our year is not over.The four tochdowns come from Nick Wooden to Kyle Michaels for a 12 yard pass,Jordan Delago ran for a 23 yard touchdown,Nick Wooden than threw a 26 yard pass to Kobe Pavlich,and of course Zach Nodal with the block field goal return.This isn't the end and remember.LETS GO COUGARS!
There are three things important in life, family, religion, and the BYU Cougars.
There is nothing good nor bad.Thinking makes it seem so.-William Shakespere

Did not make playoffs in World Bowl 14
6th in Nation States College Football(Brigham Old University)
Did not qualify for Wold Cup 56
Lost in first round of Baptism of Fire 43
3rd place in Baptism of Iron 8
Lost in first round of World Baseball Classic 19
Lost in first round of International Basketball Championship 8
5th place in World Lacrosse Championship 11
1st PLACE IN CEREAL BOWL 1(Spartans)
To come:
Professional Football League
World Bowl 15
World Lacrosse Championships 12
Mcleod Cup 4
Summer X Games 2
6 Summer Olympics
Hopefully Cup of Harmony 48

FOUNDER:The Tennis Championship-Please Join!

Khabarovsk Krai
Envoy

Founded: Aug 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khabarovsk Krai » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:39 am

Ducks Daily

The Riversburg-Madison University, No. 6 seeds, embraced the home-field advantage in the playoffs as they beat Saugeais State 31-10 to advance to the next round of the playoffs.

Maciej Naaktgeboren is starting to play more like the legendary cornerback he replaced in RMU' starting lineup.
Naaktgeboren intercepted two passes near the Ducks' goal line and returned one of them 96 yards for his first career touchdown in the Ducks' 31-10 win over the Saugeais State University Lancers on Thursday.

It was a performance reminiscent of Harrold Goosbere, who left Riversburg-Madison last year after holding the records for interceptions and pass defenses during his 4 years at the school.
"I'm still learning," Naaktgeboren said. "This is the first game I had two interceptions all year and there was plenty of opportunities in the previous games. But there's always stuff to learn and I think I'm starting to definitely understand a lot more than I have."

The Ducks (11-2) took the early lead because of a fast start by Koos M. Vestergaard, who completed 13 of his first 15 passes and threw two of his three touchdown passes in the first quarter to Hjörtur Hallsteinsson.
Naaktgeborens' big defensive plays made the lead stand up. His touchdown came right after the Lancers had recovered Ebe van der Biezen's fumble on a kickoff return, giving Saugeais State the ball at the RMUs' 21, in prime position to cut into what was then a 14-3 lead.
Instead, Naaktgeboren made it 21-3 at halftime, and his second-half interception squelched any hope the Lancers had of coming back.

The Lancers QB scored the only Saugeais State touchdown on a short keeper after the game was out of reach. He passed for 231 yards but his day was marred by the two interceptions deep in Ducks territory.
"I've got to be better when we're down there and I've got to be smarter with the football," The Lancers QB said. "I just can't make those mistakes at this level."
Naaktgeboren said he got a good jump on the first pass he intercepted, but also noted that the Lancers QB "didn't put much velocity on it, so it kind of hung up a little bit."

The Lancers RB rushed for 96 yards but turned the ball over once on a fumble caused by Nose Tackle Jaap Ravn and recovered by Linebacker Tjipke Breeuwer, stalling a promising drive across midfield.
"The message to the team was that if you don't protect the football and you don't tackle well on defense, it's hard to beat any team, let alone one of the best in the league," the Lancers Head Coach said.

The Ducks rushed for 132 yards as a team, helped by the return of Tapani Välimaa, who had missed the last game with a sprained left ankle. Välimaa rushed for 39 yards and had 29 receiving.
"I was surprised to get as many touches as I did, but I knew they were going to test me and see if I was ready," Välimaa said. "The ankle wasn't giving me any problems. I felt great out there. A lot of guys said I was moving real good."
Senior Pirkka Hyytiä rushed for 47 yards in the first half before his right hamstring got tight and he was rested for the remainder of the game.

The Ducks converted 10 of their first 12 third-down plays en route to a 28-3 third-quarter lead. Saugeais State failed to convert its first eight third downs and finished 1 of 11.
The Ducks sacked the Lancers QB twice on blitzes and repeatedly pressured him into rushed, inaccurate throws.

Recruiting News

Bonet commits to UAD

In a press conference today, the much heralded Khabarovsk Krai prospect Kyle Bonet announced his decision to commit to joining the University of Alzburg-Dyka which has sent shockwaves around the College Footballing world. It looked likely that Bonet was going to join a University in his homeland, specifically Riversburg-Madison University who had shown a real interest in him during the last few weeks.
When asked why he decided to play abroad Bonet had this to say.

"The atmosphere and vibe about the place was just fantastic".
"Along with a world class stadium and facilities, the place also had lots of culture that you won't find anywhere else".
"The passion from the fans was just incredible. I mean I've yet to play there but as I was being shown around, people were coming up to me and asking me to autograph their shirts."
"I didn't get this reception anywhere else I visited and I decided to join this University so I don't miss out of what I feel will turn out to be one of the great experiences of my life."

Next Week

#6 Riversburg-Madison University (11-2) at #3 University of Alzburg-Dyka (11-2)

Next up for the 6th seeds is a rematch against old conference rivals as RMU take on the University of Alzburg-Dyka in what is sure to be a thrilling matchup. The last time the two teams played, RMU came out 33-6 winners on Matchday 12 but were defeated by UAD in the first game played between the two. It looks set to be a passing contest between RMU Junior Quarterback Koos M. Vestergaard and UAD Sophomore Quarterback Mikjel Ostgurn as both teams have leant heavily on the pass this season. That being said, the running game could indeed factor for both teams if the Passing conditions are poor.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:34 am

The Wyvern Sports Page—6/27/2011

Up For Another Round

Everyone, get ready to cheer on your Wyverns! After a successful playoff opener against RCU, the Wyverns now face Darien-Pushania University, hoping to stretch their success through round two. The Wyverns, in spite of a playoff win, seemed a bit disappointed, dragging through regulation before coming back to tie the game up near the end and force overtime. Nevertheless, a fantastic defensive stand by the Wyverns enabled them to win the game.

"We need to work on just this down, you know, playing each down for its own merit instead of trying to second-guess ourselves."
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Late Surge Sees Tigers Through

Another stellar second half display from the Tigers saw them overcome the Colden Bearcats in a thoroughly entertaining 70-pointer last night, and send a clear message to any potential playoff opponents: "we're not going to be stopped easily." It's a message which will serve as a thrown gauntlet to the Tigers' next opponents, the University of Port Salem, who had the number one ranked defense in the NSCF regular season.

Against Colden, Luke Saint had another great game, throwing for four touchdowns and almost 300 yards, favouring Jesus Barrios, as usual. Barrios caught six of Saint's 28 completed passes for a total of 102 yards and two touchdowns, cementing his status as Utica's number one receiver. Matt Jennings had a relatively quiet game, with second choice runningback Robert Johnson being asked to carry the football -- mostly to the outside -- for some large gains on several running plays. It seems as though Utica's offensive co-ordinator, Daniel Corsey, had done his homework beforehand, and identified potential weaknesses in the Colden defense. Johnson's 117 yards and two touchdowns are his best numbers so far, and he owed much to the blocking of Karim Ouaddou and Matt Jennings, who lined up as a fullback in many cases.

Defensively, though, the Tigers still exhibited the same frailty against the run we have become accustomed to. Although it was always going to be a challenge to stop Colden's superstar runningback Jack Carrico, the Tigers gave up far too much yardage on the ground. Anthony Channa struggled yet again to justify his unit's failings in this department, but the disappointment was offset by the stunning performances of Rigo Kopumava and Dhani Massuso. Kopumava hauled in two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter, while Massuso's pass-rushing is constantly improving, as evidenced by his sack on a notoriously strong Colden O-Line.

The game itself looked like a thriller until Dhani Massuso sacked Greg Jones early in the fourth quarter, seemingly triggering a collapse of sorts from Colden. Until that point, Colden had been matching the Tigers yard for yard, having accumulated a ten point lead in the second quarter, which the home side only managed to cancel out late in the third quarter, when Luke Saint found Karim Ouaddou over the middle for a 12 yard touchdown. Following the sack on Jones, however, the Bearcats slipped to nine points behind, and seemingly began to lose focus. To their credit, they never gave up on the game, not even after Robert Johnson's second touchdown of the night extended the gap to sixteen points, but it was their determination to still compete which may ultimately have led to the scoreline looking so one-sided. When Massuso got lucky and jarred the ball free of Carrico's grip, before recovering it and steaming through the crowd for an 18 yard return TD, it was pure luck. Massuso had been anticipating a pass play and was preparing to rush the passer, when for some unknown reason, Jones called an audible, changing the direction of the play, leading Carrico straight into the path of the Tigers' leading tackler this season. That moment of poor judgment was followed by another not too long afterward, as Jones attempted to force the pass on 3rd and long, only to find Utica's standout cornerback Rigo Kopumava lying in wait. In fairness to Jones, both plays were a combination of poor judgment and misfortune, as Ghadt smiled upon the Tigers again.

Next up for the Tigers is the University of Port Salem. The West Guianan college have a formidable record in their rookie NSCF season, much like Frbiba State, which may give Mike Zampese and his coaching staff a few reasons for concern. The game is also Utica's first playoff matchup this season not to be played in The Pit, which could be a huge factor in their performance. Statistically speaking, the Tigers are the slight underdogs, as their #3 ranked offense in NSCF takes on the #1 ranked defense, while their #14 ranked defense has to cope with the #5 ranked offense. Their overall records are the same (11-2), and not counting playoff games, Utica have put up just ten points more than Port Salem in an arguably weaker conference -- the bottom three teams in NSCF were all Woodlands Conference -- while giving up almost 80 points more. Key to victory at Side Side Field will almost certainly be limiting the home side's yardage, rather than simply attempting to outscore them, as is the normal Utica way. For once the spotlight will be firmly on Anthony Channa's defensive unit, and Tubrissians will be praying they don't crumble.

Colden		7   10  3   0    20
Utica 7 0 17 26 50

1st Quarter
CLD - J. Carrico 1 yard rush (S. Schuldt kick) 7-0
UTC - L. MacLean 57 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick) 7-7

2nd Quarter
CLD - S. Schuldt 35 yard field goal 10-7
CLD - J. Carrico 17 yard rush (S. Schuldt kick) 17-7

3rd Quarter
UTC - P. Atkinson 42 yard field goal 17-10
CLD - S. Schuldt 40 yard field goal 20-10
UTC - R. Johnson 9 yard rush (P. Atkinson kick) 20-13
UTC - K. Ouaddou 12 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick 20-20

4th Quarter
UTC - E. Alves 35 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick) 20-27
UTC - Safety, D. Massuso sacked G. Jones in the end zone 20-29
UTC - R. Johnson 6 yard rush (P. Atkinson kick) 20-36
UTC - D. Massuso 18 yard fumble return (P. Atkinson kick) 20-43
UTC - R. Kopumava 39 yard interception return (P. Atkinson kick) 20-50

Utica Stat Leaders

Passing: Luke Saint (28-of-39 for 294 yards, 4 TDs and 1 INT)
Receiving: Jesus Barrios (6 receptions for 102 yards and 2 touchdowns)
Rushing: Robert Johnson (15 carries for 117 yards and 2 TDs)
Tackles: Dhani Massuso (12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 safety, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble ret TD)
Pass Defense: Rigo Kopumava (6 pass disruptions, 4 tackles, 2 INTs returned for 51 yards and 1 TD)
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

Mytannion
Minister

Founded: Aug 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mytannion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:49 pm

UAD News.

Dear, RMU - please don't beat us this time.

Here we go then - the play-offs have started and thankfully, UAD won in the first round against Mineral Conference 3rd-placers, Kael-Charlotte University. Mikjel Ostgurn once again rampaged through a defence and unless he gets injured; I cannot see him being stopped, his power-arm - which is also pin-point accurate, with the combination of height, pace and fitness - means he is a near-complete player. But the Quarterback could well be brought to a standstill in our next game - against our old rivals Riversburg-Madison University, who handed our arses to us on a plate after they beat us 33-6. It could well be a battle of the QB's, as Mikjel Ostgurn - the gunslinger goes head-to-head against the more reserved Koos M. Vestergaard. First of all, we'll do the match review of the UAD versus KCU game - a game which we won 27-13 - a win which moves us within two more wins of the NSCF Championship game; a game which, if we win, means we're the best college gridiron team in the world.

1st Quarter - UAD versus KCU.
The teams ran out to the roar of the Tiegemburk Park crowd, which seemingly sent the players into a frenzy as we came straight out - kicked the ball away and then immediately took Kael-Charlotte all the way to fourth down and they punted away to Viktor Mujassen who sprinted to the outside and got to the 45-yard line for us; a nice 25 yard gainer.

Mikjel Ostgurn came to the field for the first time and got cheers rained down on him which he took gratefully and smiled away at his adoring public. He then kept the spread offense going. A plan which has worked all season apart from in the game against RMU, which would of course be a big problem if they do that again in the NSCF Play-off quarter finals; a problem, which would knock us out of the play-offs.. Something, as a competitive and proud people - we don't want to happen.

Ostgurn hurled a 20-yard pass to Bogomir Piotrkowski, whose curl route evaded defenders - he plucked the ball out of the air and immediately turned upfield, evaded two more tackles and dived for an extra yard - which he got.

Ostgurn had another first down, on the 35-yard line. Ostgurn asked for the snap, rolled out to the right - right out of the pocket and had defenders on his tail. He jinked through one tackle, leaving the defender on the floor - then edged forwards a couple of yards. He was right on the line of scrimmage - with defenders approaching, he threw a nice bullet throw into the hands of Julek Jasinzki who made a run toward the sideline - jinked inside one defender and then dived his way over the goal-line and got the touchdown. Royals 7-0 Eagles.

Five minutes later, Kael-Charlotte were within 20-yards of our endzone. Their quarterback threw a nice pitch to the fullback who charged over the middle of the defence and then slid his way over the goal-line, the teams were level once again. Royals 7-7 Eagles.

2nd Quarter - UAD 7-7 KCU.
Kael-Charlotte surprised us by coming out of the blocks amazingly well and getting a quickfire field goal. We were all of a sudden in trouble, as they then pressed our offense into quite a bit of trouble. As they took us to fourth down, then, made us punt away. All of a sudden it was Royals 7-10 Eagles.

Uh oh, didn't do this justice.

Ostgurn drove the team back though as we struck with our wildcat formation; Ostgurn to Piotrkowski, the pass thrown from the 20-yard line. Piotrkowski turned a huge gainer as he charged through tackles and surged forward up the field. He went over halfway, then found a nice open channel towards the endzone. No defenders were in the way, but someone suddenly came across to take him out of the game. Piotrkowski fell to the floor, collapsed, he clutched his ribs - he was evidently injured; the stretcher came on, our best receiver was out of the game. We were 8 yards from the goal-line, it was nearly in - we were nearly back ahead. Ostgurn threw a pass outwide for Yuri Zukov to jog in unmarked. Royals 14-10 Eagles.

The Eagles got another field goal just before the second half started, but then Esperij Geberec answered with one of his own - putting the four point gap between us again. Royals 17-13 Eagles.

3rd Quarter - UAD 17-13 KCU.
Shortly after the second half started, Esperij Geberec got another field goal to put us a touchdown ahead of Kael-Charlotte. There wasn't much more action, Kael-Charlotte University attempted to get forward several times - but Serhiy Lokaj got an interception, which he returned upto halfway.

The defence once again worked brilliantly, stopping the KCU offense in their tracks several times. Royals 20-13 Eagles.

4th Quarter - UAD 20-13 KCU.
Ostgurn had the ball in hand and made sure that we had a convincing win over Kael-Charlotte University, as we marched upfield - the offense taking complete control and continuing to cause the Eagles plenty of trouble. Their defence started to struggle and Ostgurn tossed one into the endzone for Yuri Zukov to dive and catch.

The rest of the game was pretty uneventful as we let the Eagles try to attack us and we used our second-string defence, who did well. Stopping them from getting anything in the game.

Final - UAD 27-13 KCU.

So, we won - we next play RMU - who are a more run-orientated team, who we will certainly have to deal with well if we want to qualify for the Semi Finals of the NSCF play-offs. Koos M. Vestergaard is a more conservative quarterback (as aforementioned), who can throw in big plays every so often. We will have to deal with him. We need to beat the Ducks though, we had a 1-1 record against each other during the regular season. We're at home though and that is a huge advantage as the fans at the Royal Chamber push us onto victory. We still have an unbeaten record at Tiegemburk Park, with a 7-0 record, which is certainly something to brag about. Bogomir Piotrkowski is injured at the moment, with a cracked rib - but he is expected to play through the pain - which may be a bit stupid but the state-of-the-art facilities in Dyka are top-class in all forms, in training, the fitness suites, the video rooms, the technology suites (used for statistics, graphs etcetera), the medical wing - the last one being most important of all if we want our wide receiver fit to play for the Royals this week. The Ostgurn-Piotrkowski partnership cannot be broke up if we want to win.

In other news, Kyle Bonet - the recruit from Khabarovsk Krai has committed to our team. He mentioned the atmosphere at Tiegemburk Park as one of the main reasons he committed to the UAD Royals. The facilities in Dyka were mentioned too, as the new state-of-the-art facilities that were completed this year were on show during his visit. The fans will be giving him a huge reception when he visits the stadium during the game against Riversburg-Madison University next week.

Predictions
#8 University of Arkinesia (9-4) at #1 Darien-Pushania University (12-1)
UArk knocked off Ramusok Capital University in the last round and are a team with history at this stage of the play-offs. Darien-Pushania still hold the best record in the NSCF. It is their time to shine. This one is for UArk.

#5 University of Utica (11-2) at #4 Port Salem University (11-2)
The Tigers are certainly on a roll, they're the in-form team in the NSCF. Mike Zampese's men are marching towards the NSCF Championship and at the moment it certainly looks like nobody can stop them. Port Salem are a strong, strong line-up - but they've lost 2 of their past five games - so their recent form is nowhere near as good as Utica's. Utica will win.

#6 Riversburg-Madison University (11-2) at #3 University of Alzburg-Dyka (11-2)
Koos M. Vestergaard against Mikjel Ostgurn, Hjörtur Hallsteinsson against Bogomir Piotrkowski, Maciej Naaktgeboren against Serhiy Lokaj. These two teams were equal in the Sequioa Conference with a 1-1 record against each other. Maybe this game will decide it once and for all, whoever wins it could go very far in these play-offs. For us, it is too close to call. Although RMU may have the edge as Bogomir Piotrkowski is go/no-go for launch in terms of fitness as no-one is really sure if he is fully recovered from his injury against Kael-Charlotte University.

#10 Brigham Old University (9-4) at #2 Frbiba State University (12-1)
Brigham Old achieved the biggest giant-killing of the Play-off first round as they knocked out last year's champions, Eirikssonia University. But Frbiba State are another in-form team and the team we think may well win the whole damn thing. It's gonna' be close, but we think Frbiba State will win this one - maybe in overtime.

Stats Leaders (Regular Season) - For the Alzburg-Dyka Royals.
Passing - Mikjel Ostgurn, 3840 yards, 404/600, 33 TD, 13 INT, 80 LNG.
Rushing - Viktor Mujassen, 780 yards, 88 Att, 2 TD, 2 FUMB, 40 LNG.
Receiving - Bogomir Piotrkowski, 1410 yards, 159 REC, 15 TD, 80 LNG.
Defense - Serhiy Lokaj, 43 tackles, 11 TFL, 6 sacks, 10 INT, 4 FF.

Stats Leaders (Play-Offs) - For the Alzburg-Dyka Royals.
Passing - Mikjel Ostgurn, 330 yards, 23/34, 3 TD, 0 INT, 55 LNG.
Rushing - Viktor Mujassen, 63 yards, 11 Att, 0 TD, 0 FUMB, 17 LNG.
Receiving - Yuri Zukov, 112 yards, 9 REC, 2 TD, 55 LNG.
Defense - Serhiy Lokaj, 3 tackles, 0 TFL, 0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF.
Special Teams - Esperij Geberec, 3/3 PAT, 2/2 FG.
Last edited by Mytannion on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Third Republic of Mytannion
Capital: Esca - Population: 43,500,000 - Demonym: Mytanar

Sporting Achievements:
Football: Copa Rushmori XVII, CoH 56 & 59 Champions. Qualified for WC 55, 58, 60, 61, 63, 66; Round of 16: WC 56, 57, 62, 65. Quarter Finals: WC 68.
Lacrosse: WLC IX & XVII Champions!

Mytannion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mytannion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Cut-off!

Not much time tonight. But it is play-off time baby!

One goes through the other goes out?

But who?

EDIT1: Bad link :(
EDIT2: Oops! And again, there we go!
Last edited by Mytannion on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sporting Achievements:
Football: Copa Rushmori XVII, CoH 56 & 59 Champions. Qualified for WC 55, 58, 60, 61, 63, 66; Round of 16: WC 56, 57, 62, 65. Quarter Finals: WC 68.

Osarius
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Today's RP Cutoff for [ contest ] is brought to you by [ fictional company ] ... [ fictional company slogan/tagline ]

... templates are handy, no? Anyways, RIZULTZTIEM!
Last edited by Osarius on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown

Churchma
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Churchma » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:34 pm

10/2 cutoff
Scores
Last edited by Churchma on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIRD PLACE- NSCF 1

Map of Churchma
Important Sports Info

Michael VII
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:13 pm

I know its late, but it has to be done. I wouldn't feel right.

Frbiba State Gazette

28 June 2011

Playoff Watch Week One -Frbiba State Move On To Quarterfinals!

Frbiba State Firebirds 61-34 St John's Island University Cardinals

The Firebirds have survived a first playoff round matchup to advance into the Quarterfinals of the 3rd edition of NSCF after thrashing the Cardinals of St John's Island University, 61-34 at Riverside Stadium. This huge win was a spirited win from a fired up Firebirds side who don't want to end their season in front of a home crowd and without a trophy in their hands. The Woodlands Conference champions played like champions advancing over the wildcard team from Sequoia Conference easily with the match never really in doubt for the Firebirds. This huge win was secured by the second quarter, when even though the Cardinals were biting into the Firebirds' lead, they still kept on going and kept composed to finish off their 8 TD blitz. Kyle Xanthy needed only to kick one field goal, early in the first quarter, and the rest were XPs. Scott Tyler led with 4 Touchdowns, 3 to Adsfred and 1 to Freddit, getting 396 Yards in this game and no interceptions. Notable performances came from Lewd, scoring thrice, Seffer scoring once and Adsfred getting open in the endzone thrice to finish off the 8 TD game. Melko Tchitcha also came up big with 4.5 sacks, in only three quarters. Next week the Firebirds play the Cougars of Brigham Old Univeristy in the quarterfinals, right here on the Red Plains in Frbiba, at Riverside Stadium. A home encounter for the ages.

The Firebirds walked out to huge roarings of the crowd, as Firebirds fans got to witness their team playing in the playoffs for the first ever time in NSCF 3, a completely different affair to the ML7CAA, where the Firebirds have had the trophy in their locker room for the past 6 years. This competition throws up upsets every week, and no one is ever safe. This is why the fans are such big things for the Firebirds, being there every game, for every triumph and every defeat keeps them going all along. The fans went nuts and the huge second quarter made the match entertaining, the Firebirds walking in four touchdowns in those 15 minutes of play.

Scoring Summary

First Quarter
FSU FG 43 Yard kick from Kyle Xanthy, It's good.
3-0 FSU

FSU TD 13 Yard run from Fred Lewd, XP from Kyle Xanthy is good.
10-0 FSU

SJIU TD 12 Yard Pass from QB#1 to WR#3, XP from K#1 is good.
10-7 FSU

Second Quarter
FSU TD 45 Yard run from David Seffer, XP from Kyle Xanthy is good.
17-7 FSU

FSU TD 25 Yard pass from Scott Tyler to Michael Adsfred, XP from Kyle Xanthy is good.
24-7 FSU

SJIU TD 5 Yard run from HB#1, XP from K#1 is good.
24-14 FSU

FSU TD 19 Yard run from Fred Lewd, XP from Kyle Xanthy is good.
31-14 FSU

FSU TD 14 Yard run from Fred Lewd, XP from Kyle Xanthy is good.
38-14 FSU

Third Quarter
FSU Safety -5 Yard Sack from Melko Tchitcha, Safety.
40-14 FSU

SJIU TD 4 Yard pass from QB#1 to WR#2, XP from K#1 is good.
40-21 FSU

SJIU TD 13 Yard pass from QB#1 to WR#1, XP from K#1 is good.
40-28 FSU

SJIU TD 9 Yard run from FB#1, Two point conversion attempt failed.
40-34 FSU

Fourth Quarter
FSU TD 28 Yard pass from Scott Tyler to Matthew Freddit, XP from Kyle Xanthy is good.
47-34 FSU

FSU TD 52 Yard pass from Scott Tyler to Michael Adsfred, XP from Kyle Xanthy is good.
54-34 FSU

FSU TD 31 Yard pass from Scott Tyler to Michael Adsfred, XP from Kyle Xanthy is good.
61-34 FSU

Game Leaders:
Scott Tyler, QB, 42/51,396 Yards, 4 TD, 0 INT
Michael Adsfred, WR,31 Receptions, 284 Yards, 3 TD, 0 FUM
Matthew Freddit, WR, 8 Receptions, 102 Yards, 1 TD, 1 FUM
Fred Lewd, HB, 26 Attempts, 167 Yards, 3 TD, 0 FUM
David Seffer, HB, 25 Attempts, 104 Yards, 1 TD, 0 FUM
Melko Tchitcha, DE, 4.5 Sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles
Charlie Spearce, CB, 2 INT, 1 Forced Fumble

Next week, the Firebirds play a spirited Brigham Old Cougars side, coming off of their upset win over #7 seed Eiriksonnia, 27-24, looking to take another upset win over Frbiba State at Riverside next week. The Firebirds must prepare for some more upsetting of away fans!

GO FIREBIRDS!!!
Last edited by Michael VII on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My timezone, Southern Winter (Current Time): NZST, UTC +12, Southern Summer: NZDT, UTC +13

NSCF 5 Champions
Qualified for World Cup 62
Hosted World T20 Championships I, Baptism of Iron X, World Bowl 17, World Cup of Hockey XIX, World Bowl 19

Domestic Sportswire

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:29 am

Frbiba State Gazette

30 June 2011 SCE

Firebirds move on to semis! Take down the giantkillers in thrilling match!

Frbiba State Firebirds 30 - 17 Brigham Old Cougars

Well two playoff games down, two to go. If we win in the semis that is. Frbiba State have successfully defended their undefeated home run in the third edition of the Nation States College Football league after a 30-17 win over the Cougars of Brigham Old University. Now the Firebirds are on track to take on the Riversburg-Madison University Ducks of Khabarovsk Krai in the semifinals this week at Riverside. A huge matchup will take place there and then, but only one will live to see next week, the final of NSCF 3!

But on to the game...

Both teams could have entered this game thinking they could win this one, BOU coming off a shock win over Eiriksonnia away from home in the first rounds, and Frbiba State coming off of a crushing 61-34 victory over St John's Island right here on the Red Plains at Riverside. The Cougars came out wanting to cause another upset win over one of the leagues' dominant teams, and the Firebirds came out prepared for a huge playoff game, knowing all too well from past experiences that playoff games always can be your last game, and for the seniors, their last ever in the Firebirds' varsity uniform; this memory always makes the players want to finish their season on a high. So, entering the field, to a huge sold out crowd, all fans dressed in red, cheering for their home team, chanting "Firebirds, Firebirds!" and forming the battle dance, known as 'Te Karanga Pakanga', or the prayer of power. With that entrance, the Firebirds couldn't possibly not be pumped and ready for this battle. Confidently awaiting the toss, Scott Tyler got the toss correct with the call of heads and opted to start off with the ball. And that was just another reason to celebrate for this crowd.

First Quarter
Scott Tyler's decision to keep the ball turned out to be a good choice, as the Firebirds managed to put themselves deep into the Cougars' territory after just a matter of minutes. However, the offensive production was short lived as the Firebirds were stopped on the 12 yard line, now on fourth down. Opting not to risk it so early in this important of a game, the Firebirds took the easy 27 yard field goal, Kyle Xanthy slotting the extras without any effort needed. This field goal set up some defensive play following a great kickoff from Xanthy that forced the Cougars to start from their own 5 yard line. Tchitcha got himself involved early as the Cougars fell short with a three-and-out, leading to the Firebirds' second drive starting hot on attack on the Cougars' own 40 yard line. This turned out to be too easy an opportunity for Michael Adsfred to miss, as Scott Tyler connected the bullet pass to Adsfred for a 23 yard TD. The score was already 10-0, and it stayed this way until the end of the quarter, with BOU slowly moving their way up the field to start their explosive second quarter production.

Second Quarter
This was the quarter where 14 of the Cougars' 17 points were scored, and where only 3 of the Firebirds' 30 points were scored. By the half, the Cougars had a shocking 1 point lead coming off a brilliant allround quarter, almost shutting out the Firebirds, their only defensive blemish coming from a failed attempt to ice the kicker on the final play of the half. Xanthy added those points from 45 yards out, adding at least some optimism to the Firebirds crowd to fire up for the second half. The Cougars' scoring plays were added by two passing TDs from the Nick Wooden-Nate Santiago combination, getting 31 yard and 24 yard touchdown passes respectively. This left the score 14-10 with just 3 minutes remaining, and the Firebirds added the points to leave the score at the half, 14-13, the first time the Firebirds have ever been down at halftime, and even more saddening, the first time at home!

Third Quarter
Another sloppy quarter from the Firebirds. This quarter involved only two scoring plays, both Field Goals, one for each side, which obviously left the scoreboard reading 17-16 to the Cougars of Brigham Old after three down. Scott Tyler's offensive production was there, and Lewd was out for much of the quarter after receiving a huge blind siding hit from BOU's Zane Pikel after just 4 minutes in the half. Melko Tchitcha was luckily enough there to cover for the lack of Offensive presence, even switching to Offensive Tackle to protect Seffer in critical situations. Reese Pikel added the Cougars' field goal from 34 yards out, and Kyle Xanthy came up clutch with 4.08 remaining to bring it back to a one point game, nailing a 52 yard field goal, his longest of the season. 17-16 Cougars.

Fourth Quarter
Here was where the Firebirds came alive, shutting out the Cougars in this quarter while adding two TDs of their own, providing us with the final score 30-17. Fred Lewd made a big comeback in this quarter, and his presence was obviously felt, as the Firebirds scored their two touchdowns in the last six minutes. Both Touchdowns were scored by Lewd's running game, although the first one was a team effort by Seffer and Lewd, using their prior knowledge of rugby to execute brilliant laterals to get to the end zone in this one. This resulted in a 38 yard touchdown run from Lewd, (but we really know that Seffer carried it for about 20 of those), putting Lewd over the 100 yard mark again. The second touchdown came with little over two minutes remaining, putting the Firebirds up by 13 points in a two possession game. Luckily the Firebirds' defensive pressure worked and held on, kneeling out the remaining forty seconds to celebrate a very tightly fought quarterfinal clash.

Final Score: Frbiba State 30 (Lewd 2, Tyler (Adsfred) 1 TDs, Xanthy 3 FGs) - Brigham Old 17 (Wooden (Santiago) 2 TDs, Pikel 1 FG)

Frbiba State Firebirds
10 3 3 14 30

Brigham Old Cougars
0 14 3 0 17

Score Summary

FIRST QUARTER
Firebirds Field Goal. 27 Yard kick from Kyle Xanthy, its good.
3-0 FSU

Firebirds Touchdown. 23 Yard pass from Scott Tyler to Michael Adsfred. (XP Kyle Xanthy is good)
10-0 FSU

SECOND QUARTER
Cougars Touchdown. 31 Yard pass from Nick Wooden to Nate Santiago. (XP Reese Pikel is good)
10-7 FSU

Cougars Touchdown. 24 Yard pass from Nick Wooden to Nate Santiago. (XP Reese Pikel is good)
14-10 BOU

Firebirds Field Goal. 45 Yard kick from Kyle Xanthy, its good.
14-13 BOU

THIRD QUARTER
Cougars Field Goal. 34 Yard kick from Reese Pikel, its good.
17-13 BOU

Firebirds Field Goal. 52 Yard kick from Kyle Xanthy, its good.
17-16 BOU

FOURTH QUARTER
Firebirds Touchdown. 38 Yard run from Fred Lewd. (XP Kyle Xanthy is good)
23-17 FSU

Firebirds Touchdown. 17 Yard run from Fred Lewd. (XP Kyle Xanthy is good)
30-17 FSU

Top 5 Most Valuable Players of the Game
1. HB Fred Lewd -Lewd came up big in this one, scoring the two fourth quarter touchdowns that gave the Firebirds the win here today. A big moral boost came from the Firebirds when he reentered the game, overall proving the difference in the end.
Stats: 18 Carries, 145 Yards, 2 Touchdowns, 0 Fumbles

2. WR Nate Santiago -Santiago played a dominant game in this one for his Cougars, and while the loss comes hard, Santiago as a brilliant Junior, knows that he still has next year to lead his team to greatness in his final year. Played one of the most influencial roles in his teams' losing effort today, but couldn't do much about it. Offensively he won them the game, but the Defense didn't provide the result.
Stats: 19 Receptions, 119 Yards, 2 Touchdowns, 0 Fumbles

3. QB Scott Tyler -Scott Tyler didn't have his greatest game of his career today, or his season. But he did play a good game, not brilliant, but enough to earn him the #3 spot on our list, but not for his passing game. He got on here today because of his leadership skill, and ability to ramp up the team to come from behind and win. A true QB, and a true captain isn't always the best player on the team, or the franchise player. But Scott Tyler's true talent is his ability to keep a team confident and believing that they can win. And that's what got FSU the W in this one.
Stats: 23/34, 216 Yards, 1 Touchdown, 3 Interceptions

4. MLB Zane Pikel -Zane Pikel almost got what he wanted. Pikel almost was able to take the Firebirds' legendary halfback out of the game. And he succeeded, for a short time at least. Fred Lewd was vacant for much of the third quarter, and the Firebirds' offensive production was snapped. Seffer wasn't as confident, Tyler lost his secondary option, and the screen pass was almost useless as Coach Aleksandr Valentino decided to wrap Seffer up in cotton wool. Zane Pikel did his job, crush offensive units advancing. He succeeded, and did what was necessary, but his offense couldn't do the same. That's why we give him the #4 pick here, and unsung, almost hero.
Stats: 8 Tackles, 0.5 Sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles, 0 Interceptions.

5. K Kyle Xanthy -Too often one will find that the kicker is underrated and not given enough credit. However, in recent weeks, the Firebirds organisation has given Xanthy a lot of credit, and deserved credit too, as the Kicker has yet to kick a horrible kickoff and yet to miss a Field Goal all season. In this game alone, Xanthy slotted three very important field goals, including one 52 yard bomb that kept the Firebirds in the game in the middle half. Xanthy has undoubtedly kept the Firebirds alive so far this season, and perhaps also saved their souls this week. Footballing tip #45, never piss off your kicker, he holds your season together!
Stats: 3/3 FG, 3/3 XP

Holy crap, we won. Somebody pinch me!
-Michael Adsfred

Well it was a hard fought win. It was close, too close...One that we cannot let happen again if we want to win this whole damn thing. You know, in my running career, I learned one thing, "never make the victory hard, win by as much as possible, make it as easy for you to stay ahead as possible", and that's what I did. I got ahead so I could react to the other runners during the race. And that's what I teach my Firebirds to do each training and each game. Make it easy, hell, make it fun. Playing football is fun, that's why we do it! We love it, and we love winning too! We played good football for half of the match, and held our composure for the entire match. That's all we need to do, fight for the inches, fight for the game, and try to put it out of reach by halftime so I can put my third stringers on! Brigham Old, you played one hell of a game, and I can see you guys being a huge powerhouse in this competition. Keep it up, you scared us today, you can bet your house that you scared the crap out of me! And just keep playing, like all things eventually you'll get there. But not on my watch! Joe Jackson, the Cougar head coach, is a good guy, I know him well and I know the organisation well. Be pleased with that performance because you make a great coach. Just wait until next year now, while we focus for two weeks, and then hopefully we can party about a successful championship season!
-Aleksandr Valentino, Firebirds Head Coach

I need to pick my jaw up off the ground! Why do I love this game?! Every week I've got more tense moments to have to commentate about!
-Al Stevenson, Firebirds Network TV commentator

Next week the Firebirds play the Riversburg-Madison Ducks in their final home game of the playoffs! The Ducks side wasn't meant to progress this far and has successfully knocked off a few very high caliber wins in this post season. The winner of that semifinal match goes through to the grand final, the granddaddy of them all, in NSCF 3. All Firebirds fans, be there for the last time at Riverside to see your Frbiba State Firebirds, and watch them take on the mighty Riversburg-Madison Ducks of Khabarovsk Krai. Surely we can beat them, and definitely we can with a sold out sea of red!

GO FIREBIRDS!!!!
My timezone, Southern Winter (Current Time): NZST, UTC +12, Southern Summer: NZDT, UTC +13

NSCF 5 Champions
Hosted World T20 Championships I, Baptism of Iron X, World Bowl 17, World Cup of Hockey XIX, World Bowl 19

Domestic Sportswire

Osarius
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 am

Hunting Season in Tubriss?

Another fifty-pointer from the Tigers -- against a superb Port Salem defense, which was ranked #1 after the regular season -- sees them cruise into a semi-final clash with international rivals the University of Arkinesia. The Wyverns took down the number one seed in what the scoreline suggests was a very close, defensive affair, perhaps hinting at the possibility that they will attempt to stop the Tigers in The Pit. However, with the Utica offense having posted up over 100 points in their last two games, with approximately half of those coming in the final quarter, the Wyverns may not have the defensive solidity needed to hold them off -- many fans will point to the last time the teams met in The Pit, just a few weeks ago -- which has Tubrissians salivating as the prospect of another NSCF Championship game.

The concerns that the Tigers would struggle to score against the West Guianan school's impressive defense were allayed almost immediately, when some solid blocking from Karim Ouaddou opened a lane for Matt Jennings. The Utica runningback didn't hesitate, bursting through and shrugging off two tackles, before sprinting across the goalline 51 yards later. A statement of intent, perhaps. Many had expected a pass-based offense from the Tigers as usual, and they were not disappointed, as Luke Saint took centre stage in the second quarter, pitching touchdown passes to MacLean and Ouaddou either side of another Paul Atkinson field goal. Already twenty-one points ahead at half-time, and having inflicted two sacks on an O-Line which was beginning to look increasingly shaky, it was hard to see where Utica could lose it.

Early in the second half, however, the all-too-familiar frailty of the Tigers' rush defense reared its head, as Adam Kiliek was allowed to run almost unchallenged into the Tigers' endzone for an 11 yarder. On the touchline, Anthony Channa's jaw clenched, and Mike Zampese screamed expletives in a rare moment of exasperation. You'd be forgiven for thinking that Channa's stay in Utica might not be very long. The team regrouped, however, and restored their lead with another Luke Saint pass, this time to Jesus Barrios, who was inexplicably unmarked despite being Saint's preferred target this season.

The fourth quarter saw two Port Salem touchdowns from short plays -- both under ten yards -- suggesting that their offensive rank was borne largely out of an apparent redzone efficiency the Tigers had not accounted for, and when the deficit was reduced to just seven points, most teams may well have panicked. As it looked as though Utica were about to be "Utica'd" -- offensively overwhelmed in the final quarter -- Luke Saint hit Esteban Alves with a superb deep pass, and the Utica man's pace did the rest. Thirty five yards, and a considerable number of Port Salem hearts broken. to add insult to injury, Robert Johnson managed to run the ball over the line twice more before time was up, facing half-hearted tackle attempts from a mentally defeated foe.

The next tie for the Tigers is, as we already mentioned, a home clash against the University of Arkinesia Fighting Wyverns. It's hard to see the Tigers struggling on their current form, but we all know the Wyverns are a dangerous side, and have a point to prove after their spectacular implosion last time they came to visit. Anthony Channa will likely be having sleepless nights over the prospect of stopping an offense which, on its day, is comparable in quality to utica's. We still think that The Pit atmosphere will be too much for the Wyverns, though, as it proved to be last time. That kind of psychological blow can't heal so quickly... can it?

Port Salem 3 0 7 14 24
Utica 7 17 7 21 52

1st Quarter
UTC - M. Jennings 51 yard rush (P. Atkinson kick) 0-7
PSL - M. Tomson 44 yard field goal 3-7

2nd Quarter
UTC - L. MacLean 41 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick 3-14
UTC - M. Tomson 44 yard field goal 3-17
UTC - K. Ouaddou 5 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick 3-24

3rd Quarter
PSL - A. Kiliek 11 yard rush (M. Tomson kick) 10-24
UTC - J. Barrios 13 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick) 10-31

4th Quarter
PSL - Q. Huston 6 yard pass from B. Hughs (M. Tomson kick) 17-31
PSL - A. Kiliek 1 yard rush (M. Tomson kick) 24-31
UTC - E. Alves 35 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick) 24-38
UTC - R. Johnson 22 yard rush (P. Atkinson kick) 24-45
UTC - R. Johnson 14 yard rush (P. Atkinson kick) 24-52

Utica Stat Leaders

Passing: Luke Saint (21-of-29 for 285 yards, 4 TDs and no INTs)
Receiving: Jesus Barrios (6 receptions for 102 yards and 2 touchdowns)
Rushing: Matt Jennings (16 carries for 148 yards and 1 TD)
Tackles: Dhani Massuso (12 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble)
Pass Defense: Rigo Kopumava (8 pass disruptions, 3 tackles, 3 INTs returned for 41 yards)

Mytannion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mytannion » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Official Cut-off right now.

WHO IS HEADING TO THE NSCF CHAMPIONSHIP GAME?!

And who is the finalist?
Last edited by Mytannion on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sporting Achievements:

Churchma
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Churchma » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:24 pm

6/3 Cutoff
Score
Last edited by Churchma on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIRD PLACE- NSCF 1

Map of Churchma
Important Sports Info

Osarius
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Tigers look to make history

For some, this might be considered fated. Inevitable, even. That Mike Zampese's Tigers would become the first team to compete in multiple NSCF championship games. That they would get there largely on the strength of the two players whose ability was questioned most. That one of those players is the younger brother of a gridiron legend in Osarius. That they had to overcome their two oldest foes en route to the championship showdown. That they would face the apparent "young pretenders" in that game. You probably couldn't write a better story for the silver screen. Regardless of what happens in Tiegemburg Park this weekend, the University of Utica Tigers have given their fans plenty of memories this season. But every single player on the field will know those memories will not be enough if they don't make history and become the first team in NSCF to claim multiple titles.

Mike Zampese was his usual calm self when speaking to the media, despite what is arguably the single most important game of his coaching career just a few days away. Although, he did wax philosophical on his team's approach to the championship game.

"I'm not worried, no. Not because I don't consider Frbiba State to have a talented side, or anything like that, but because the result is out of my hands now. I have to put faith in my boys. I just have to give them the gameplan and let them carry it out now, and if for one moment, I'm worried they can't do it... I shouldn't be coaching them. It's that simple. Luke [Saint] has proven himself this season, repaid the faith I placed in him at the start of the campaign. A lot of people said I was crazy to let him start in NSCF after he looked a bit shaky in the OCGL championship game, against Mora... Same goes for Matt [Jennings]. A lot of people said he couldn't fill the gap left by Sheldon [Taylor]'s graduation, but look at the kid. He's probably been our best player this season. There are lots of questions people asked which I think the guys have answered. Yeah we're still not the most solid team on defense, and I'd never try and suggest otherwise. We have good defensive players, though, and that's why we're in the position we're in. You can ask questions until your head explodes, if you're not gonna take a look at what my guys have achieved to answer those questions. So yeah, we'll go into that championship game confident. Nobody ever became a champion by doubting they had what it takes.
- Mike Zampese, Utica Tigers head coach

Utica are almost certainly the form side in NSCF, after recording crushing wins over Colden and Port Salem, before besting their fierce rivals the University of Arkinesia for a second time this season en route to the championship game. It's easy to overlook the fact that Utica put up over 50 points on Port Salem -- holders of the best regular season defensive record -- on the road, which is arguably a very good indicator of the strength of the Utica offensive unit. In their last game, against UArk, the Tigers were methodical, combining rush plays with pass plays in equal measure, to keep their opponents guessing. In the end, it took another fourth quarter overload for the Tigers to prevail, suggesting that Utica may well have the best physical conditioning in the league, given how frequently they achieve that particular feat.

Looking forward to the Frbiba State matchup, we have identified three key matchups which Utica will need to come out on top in if they are to repeat their success from The Pit.

Melko Tchitcha (DE) vs Raul Hector (OT)
We all know that Tchitcha's pass rushing is superb. He's deadly, in fact. To Utica fans, he is a little reminiscent of former Tigers defensive captain Antonio Martinez, and as such, they should know how to stop him. However, both times Frbiba State have faced the Tigers, the hard-hitting defensive end has been a handful. Raul Hector failed to convincingly keep him under wraps in The Pit, but Daniel Corsey will surely have had the senior lineman watching a lot of tape. Corsey and Zampese experimented with Fumo Vunaseki at left tackle briefly against Port Salem, and it worked fairly well, with the bigger man able to block more effectively. However, Hector's speed makes him more effective against a quicker man like Tchitcha, who has shown some proficiency in shooting the gap.

Michael Adsfred (WR) vs Rigo Kopumava (CB)
Rigo's first encounter with Adsfred was a prime example of his value to the Tigers, as he effectively shutdown the Frbiba State number one wideout until his injury forced him out of the game. In the return game in Tubriss, it was expected he would perform similarly, however, Adsfred somehow got the drop on him. Kopumava did manage three picks in that game, though, suggesting that it might not have just been an off day. Channa has suggested that perhaps he will ask Kopumava to play off his man, rather than shadow him, in order to counter Adsfred's strong route running ability. It's not likely to fly with the Kyoshiku native, though, as he prefers a physical, aggressive encounter with his assignment, so the Tigers will be relying on Rigo returning to the level that saw him isolate the Frbiba State man for a quarter earlier in the season.

Scott Tyler (QB) vs Luke Saint (QB)
Not really a straight matchup, as the two will never directly face each other on the field, but whoever has the more successful pass offense is likely to win this game. The Tigers have shown they can stop the run when they can anticipate it, and their failings this season in that arena have been more pronounced due to the long-term absences of Darrius Mallory and JeVaughn Harrison. Now that Hi'ro Manaka'li has seemingly stepped up to the plate, though, and Mallory is back in contention, the Tigers' secondary looks more solid. This will allow them to focus more on stopping the run, as Frbiba State are surely less likely to attempt to gain significant yardage through the air. Luke Saint has a host of weapons at his disposal, and will need to make an impact fast, drawing Tyler into a shootout, where he is perhaps the slight favourite.

Looking at these matchups, our panellists have suggested that Tchitcha will get the better of Hector, while Kopumava will shutdown Adsfred. This would suggest that Saint faces a tougher task, having to throw under more pressure -- from the pass rush of Tchitcha -- and may well lose the shootout. However, Harold Matterhorn has suggested the Cartagena kid has what it takes.

"Luke Saint is a lot more versatile than he is given credit for. He is a very capable scrambler, and is a pretty quick kid. It's no secret that his brother and I didn't get along, but that was borne largely out of my insistence that he scramble more often instead of forcing the pass. Luke doesn't do that. He runs when he has to, and protects the football. Especially after that mistake in Arkinesia, where he threw that late interception, now he's a lot more conservative and consciously chooses the option most likely to retain possession. I think that if Tchitcha gets the better of Hector, which is likely, Saint will simply move out of the pocket more, and with quick targets like Barrios and MacLean, or even Jennings or Johnson if they get downfield, he'll make it work. He doesn't have to contend with elite cornerbacks covering his weapons, so he's got a good shot at winning that duel.
- Harold Matterhorn, Kyoshiku Steel Wolves defensive co-ordinator and former Osarius Firebirds head coach

Matterhorn's assertions were proven in the OCGL season, where Saint actually rushed for two touchdowns and over 200 yards in his eight regular season games. While he is yet to do much running in NSCF, the numbers suggest he is capable.

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:05 am

Frbiba State Gazette

4 July 2011 SCE

Firebirds to the Championship! Take down the Ducks in Semifinal thriller!

Frbiba State Firebirds 33 - 20 Riversburg-Madison Ducks

And that's the way the cookie crumbles! The Woodlands Conference champions are into the final of the third edition of the NSCF competition! Against who may you ask? The Firebirds will be playing their in-conference foes, and Woodlands runners-up, the Utica Tigers! I know, I know, we don't like them, in fact we are quickly brewing up a hatred of them that could soon be stronger than the Fighting Wyverns of Arkinesia. So far this season, the Firebirds made for one of just two losses for the Tigers this season, and the Tigers caused the Firebirds' sole loss this season. The sides finished 10-2 and 11-1 respectively. This will double as a rematch for the Woodlands Conference championship, the NSCF Championship AND the winner of the head-to-head series between the two sides. This match will definitely be fierce, and tickets will be scarce to come by as everyone in the NSCF world wants to see this fabled showdown. The "rookies" versus the "legends". Definitely a match that will not want to be missed. Those who are available to attend, will definitely want to make their way down to Mytannion, the home of the Alzburg-Dyka Royals for this showdown, the first time that Frbiba State will have played in a stadium outside of the Woodlands Conference.

So, here is the account of the semifinal clash against the RMU Ducks:
Commentary from pre-game Kyle Davies Jim Yates Joel Wyatt
"And here we are today at Riverside Stadium here in Frbiba for the big semifinal matchup between the Frbiba State Firebirds, and the Riversburg-Madison Ducks! A huge crowd has made their way out to attend today, and all one can see is just a huge Ocean of red clad Firebirds fans, who have anxiously awaited this game all season long. And we can't even hear ourselves think, up here in the commentary box the roars of the crowd can still be heard loud and clear! I am excited for this one, what about you guys?"

"Thanks Kyle, I am definitely ready for this one, and it shall be a huge clash. The fans will be amazing, and the calibre of play here should be awesome, especially as we are deep in the knockout stages now. I think the Ducks will play a ferocious game, but the Firebirds will be a little too much for them today. I am picking a close, 22-17 win for Frbiba State. What about you Joel?"

"Jim, I think I can safely say that the Firebirds are gonna take this one out. Their offense has been too persistent all year, and after their devastating loss to Utica, their confidence has never been an issue, and also their defensive game has just been amazing all year, especially being lead by all-star senior Melko Tchitcha, earning over 3 sacks in every game so far. And I will not be the one to doubt Kyle Xanthy, the legendary Kicker who has kept them in the competition for this entire time. You could never ask for a better kicker, and they'll utilise him early today if they are stopped with 30 yards to go until the endzone, and then just rely on his extra point kicking. Its been their tactics all year, and with Tyler, Adsfred, Lewd and Seffer to lead their offense, he may be out there on the field for longer than he'd expect. I am picking for a huge 37-13 win for Frbiba State. Fred Lewd will use his strength and skill to get them the touchdowns they need. What about you Kyle?"

"Well all of you guys know, and the audience know that I NEVER go against my Firebirds! I will of course never break that streak, and I am picking that the Firebirds will be too strong yet again for the Ducks. There just isn't enough competition from the Ducks to rival the Firebirds' need to win matches, and especially matches at home, where every loss at home pains each an every Firebirds as they have failed their fans. I remember that from my time as a Firebirds here, back when the stadium was still known to the public as Red Plains Stadium. But as I said, the sheer determination from the Firebirds will be too much for the boys from the Krai. That said, I still think that it will be a very close game with a game winning drive at the end, finishing with a clutch field goal from young Xanthy to win a close game, 24-23."

"So we can already here the Ducks running out from the tunnels, as the popular Firebirds Crew deliver their battle chant, Te Karanga Pakanga to the opponents, with the entire crowd involved. This is an ancient Frbib tradition, and this game is one of the reasons why t was reinstated this year. Because it works! This is why home is such a fortress for the Firebirds, and when I was playing for Jagoza, I used to HATE coming here because of how rowdy the crowd would get and how much they hated you trying to beat them at home! But I loved the atmosphere here! And that's why I like commentating here. The older fans still haven't forgotten that I played for their rivals, but they seem to be warming up to me now! But, this will sure be a fan spectacle."

"Well it looks like they're ready for the coin toss. And the toss has gone in favour of the Riversburg-Madison Ducks, who have opted for the ball to start off with. So it looks like Frbiba State will be defending first and playing into the wind. But those are pitiful excuses if there is a loss for them today, so there are no excuses for a loss now. Let's go Firebirds!"

First Quarter
Well the Ducks started off with the ball. And that seemed like it didn't work out for them, as Melko Tchitcha just crushed their pass offense into a bad 3-and-out and losing 8 yards in the process. Boy does the boy love to hear his opponent's bones just crush beneath him! So the Firebirds take over possession and end up with a field goal from Kyle Xanthy. 3-0 Firebirds. The next time the Firebirds got possession of the ball, the same thing happened twice, leaving the score at 9-0 to the Firebirds before the Ducks finally scored. The Ducks got the first TD of the game, a great 28 yard pass from Koos Vestergard, right into the hands of Jan-Erik Sundqvist to score it in the endzone. Sundqvist brilliantly deceived his marker, Charlie Spearce to get himself open and ready for the catch off of the screen pass. 9-7 Firebirds. To end the quarter, the Firebirds knocked over one more field goal to stretch their lead to five. End of quarter, Firebirds 12 - 7 Ducks

Second Quarter
That was the end of the Firebirds' field goals for this game, the other 21 points were scored by Touchdowns, two by Lewd and one by Scott Tyler from a clutch pass to Michael Adsfred. This quarter started off with a Ducks field goal though. That tightened the score to 12-10 in front of a tense, yet raucous Frbiba State crowd. Following that, when FSU received the ball, there was no question that a TD was needed to silence the brave Ducks fans who came to the game and to also regain the confidence in the crowd. And exactly that happened. Scott Tyler connected with Adsfred and Freddit twice, before Lewd set loose on a 28 yard touchdown run to make the score 18-10 with the kick to come. As per usual, Xanthy added the points, and suddenly it was a nine point game again. This score was held until the halftime break, and the Firebirds went into the tunnel leading 19-10 with a hell of a job left to do in order to make the final. End of half, Firebirds 19 - 10 Ducks

Third Quarter
Coming out of the tunnels, and with the fans returning from the snack stands, the Firebirds ran out to a huge roaring crowd, ready to cheer them on for another 30 minutes of game time, with only a 9 point lead to show for their first half efforts. In this quarter, the Firebirds and the Ducks both traded off Touchdowns, Fred Lewd scoring his second off of a brilliant 29 yard run to put the Firebirds ahead 26-10, before the Ducks ran in their own from a great run from RB Sundqvist to make the score 26-17 with still a long way to play in the quarter. Things settled down for a while until the final two minutes, where the Ducks slotted their won field goal to bring it to just a six point game, at 26-20. One quarter still to play, with just a one possession game on hand here in the tense Riverside Stadium. Scott Tyler was yet to score a Touchdown, and one was needed soon to stop the Ducks from launching a fourth quarter comeback. Third Quarter, Firebirds 26 - 20 Ducks

Fourth Quarter
Well it came down to this, the fourth quarter of the semifinals for this match to be decided. Everything was pretty equal until this point, and the Ducks were looking as if they were going to launch a huge comeback to upset the favoured Firebirds. An upset loss would cause huge riots to erupt, and the Firebirds alumni would never live it down from Jagoza University. But that wasn't even on their minds right now. All that the Firebirds were thinking about was how they were going to beat these boys from the Krai. Riversburg-Madison were never going to be easy, and this just proved it. Just when it looked like the Ducks were going to complete their comeback with 3.12 to go...Charlie Spearce comes up with the intercept! Spearce returns it for 34 yards, and the Firebirds were back. The crowd was going insane, and the Ducks were getting 'iced' by the crowd with all the pressure boiling over. The Firebirds quickly scored to make it a 33-20 game, when Tyler connected with Adsfred for a 18 yard pass on 3rd and 14. This made the score become 33-20, and the Firebirds had almost definitely won it, just one more defensive stop and then the two possession game would be too much for the Ducks to overcome. The defense held accordingly, and the Ducks couldn't complete anything and didn't convert the fourth down, ready for the Firebirds to kneel away the victory and celebrate their journey to the finals. Which suddenly turned to a sense of revenge following the news that Utica overcame their archrivals Arkinesia 30-23 in their semifinal.

Top Players:
5. Kyle Xanthy -Kyle Xanthy scored 4 field goals and 3 extra points today. Nothing out of the ordinary...BUT the ordinary was enough to win today. A good player knows that consistency trumps amazingness any day of the week, and that's what Xanthy was doing today. He didn't need to make some huge clutch kicks, and he didn't miss any easy ones before scoring a game winner, like the news you receive when a kicker makes the top 5 list usually, but Xanthy was being his usual awesome self. 4/4 FG, 3/3 XP. He did what was necessary, like he has all year. 4 stars out of 5.

4. David Seffer -Seffer didn't get a touchdown today, but that didn't stop him being a gamebreaking player today. Most people will have left the stadium thinking that Lewd was the better halfback today, but we think that's a little harsh. Without Seffer's presence, and being the secondary option, Lewd wouldn't have those big chances he gets week in and week out. So Seffer, very good performance, running for just over 100 yards, with 102, and getting the Firebirds over the line when needed. 4 star performance.

3. Scott Tyler -Tyler wasn't the greatest passer today. Nor was he the greatest runner when he got the ball, but he was the best leader on the day. His ability to keep the team calm and ready to attack again was admirable, and no doubt helped towards getting this victory over the Ducks. No doubt the Ducks will go home knowing that Scott Tyler made the difference in this one, still managing to pass for 146 yards and getting 1 TD to Adsfred to seal off the game. But to us, he'll be known for his leadership skills. The best part is that he's just a junior and has another year to go with the Firebirds. Right now, the Firebirds can be very optimistic about next year and about their returning captain. 3 stars for his position, 5 years for all-round QB and Captain.

2. Melko Tchitcha -Melko, Melko, Melko. Where would the Firebirds be this year defensively if they had to go without Melko Tchitcha? In his final year with the Firebirds, he wants to go out with a bang, as he is for all intensive purposes, the defensive captain, leading from the front and by example in every game. Coming up with four huge sacks today, he was the defensive wall that ran and crushed all opponents to seal the W today. Charlie Spearce helped out well with his pick at the end, but the defensive award goes to Tchitcha for this one. We'll give Spearce an honourable mention to make him enthusiastic for next week. 5 stars. (Spearce can have 3.5!)

AND THE NUMBER ONE PLAYER OF THE GAME IS...
1. Fred Lewd -Was there ever any question about this one? Lewd has carried this team brilliantly this year from the backfield and has even made a huge comeback from his injury earlier in the season. Rushing for 139 yards and 2 touchdowns, Lewd put 14 points on the board, which coincidentally was only 1 single point more than the deficit of Riverburg-Madison for this game. No doubt about it, Lewd was the gamebreaker and was the offensive rock in this one. People may occasionally call him a showpony, but can you really blame him? He's an all-star sophomore playing for an all-star team in the semifinals of an international tournament! Give him some credit. He won this one. Six stars out of five!

Post-match interview

Well it was very difficult to call that one! Phew, we came away with a win in the end and no harm was done too much. I'd like to congratulate Riversburg-Madison on giving us a huge match and giving it everything they could all game, but they couldn't come up with the win to show for it. It's not a shame for us, but I know that RMU put up a huge game, and their fans should be proud to have witnessed their players play such a brilliant game. A big congratulations should go to them, and I think that after that one, they should definitely be ranked #3 on the list. To our boys, Chee-yah!!!!! We won the game boys! We're in the final! And against Utica! I dunno about you, but I'm ready, and I'm excited for this match now! Zampese, your boys are going down!
-Scott Tyler, Frbiba State Firebirds Quarterback

Well, I have to say, RMU played a great performance. They ought to be congratulated for their efforts all year, and to lose in the semifinals is nothing to scoff at. Knockout football is both a joyous thing and a terrible thing, I've been on both sides of it. Winning is the greatest feeling there is, but losing sucks more than anything. you just want to play ONE more game to end your year with a win. To the Ducks' seniors: As one of the selectors for the Frbiba Pro team, next year, all of you are invited to try out for us next season. I witnessed first hand today your determination, and that's what I expect from all my team. So, to us Firebirds. Look out, we have Utica now in the final. That is never an easy game to win, we know that, and its time for revenge. Mike Zampese knows he can win, and I know that we can win. It just comes down to who does it on the day, and that's what counts. We may be better than them on Sunday and every other day, but game day is what matters. We played a fine game today, and you all deserve congratulations for your efforts. I'm proud of you all. Now go out there and win me a championship!
-Aleksandr Valentino, Frbiba State Firebirds Head Coach

We have picked up on a few crucial matchups for the championship game against Utica...If all of these go Frbiba State's way on game day, we should expect a trophy to be added to our cabinet! If not, then we better pray for a victory, because Utica are, sadly, always very dangerous!

Melko Tchitcha v Raul Hector
-The Firebirds' defense has been dominant all year because of Tchitcha's ability to get to the quarterback. If Raul Hector can successfully take down Melko's ability to get to Luke Saint, then the Firebirds could be in for the long haul, and the match will definitely be up for grabs. This is certainly a possible matchwinning matchup, so the winner here may be the winner after four quarters, (and perhaps overtime).

Michael Adsfred v The Utica Cornerbacks
-Adsfred runs many different routes, so we can't just dingle out a defender to watch him. If Utica want to shut down Adsfred, they;ll have to work together and never leave him open for a pass in the red zone, or any zone for that matter. The Tigers have to be smart about this matchup if they want to force Tyler to throw to different receivers, because if they leave Asdfred open, he'll score, and if they triple team him, then Freddit could pop up with a few receiving TDs and perhaps the victory. The Tigers' CBs will definitely be in action a lot in this game.

Scott Tyler v Luke Saint
-Not so much your typical matchup as it is your typical match storyline. These two will never face off against each other in this match, both being big offensive units and not defensive stalwarts. But, every match of football played ends up with the fans saying that their team won or lost because they had the better or worse Quarterback on the day. If Luke Saint gets into his groove, he's dangerous. And we all know here in Frbiba and all over Michael VII that if Scott Tyler starts playing well, then the match is as good as over. If Scott Tyler plays well, then he should almost definitely walk away with a trophy in his hands and his teammates holding him up. However, if Luke Saint does the same, then it could very well be Scott Tyler looking distraught as Utica carry their brilliant QB off into the Mytannion locker rooms. This is one helluva matchup and watch out for it.

Well this is our match coverage done for now, so I guess all thats left is...

GO FIREBIRDS!!!!!!!

NSCF 5 Champions

Domestic Sportswire

Churchma
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Churchma » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Late cutoff... Dad just got back from Afghanistan yesterday morning, he's been serving for 20+ years now. I got a little caught up with that haha.
THIRD PLACE- NSCF 1

Map of Churchma
Important Sports Info

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Damn. I really wanted that one! Congrats Osarius! Turns out you were the only hurdle I couldn't beat! (Apart from round one of course!) First double winner of NSCF, not bad my friend. Not bad at all.

NSCF 5 Champions

Domestic Sportswire

Saugeais
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Congrats, Osarius! And Michael, you did damn well for someone in their first season.
The Republic of Saugeais : newswire
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65
Co-host, World Cup 60 | Co-host, 47th Cup of Harmony | Co-host, Baptism of Fire 50
Hosted: 9th Winter Olympics, Copa Rushmori XV,
19th Rugby Union World Cup, Di Bradini Cup 27
Copa Rushmori VII, World Baseball Classic 21,
9th Rugby League World Cup, Market Cup 3
1st Place: Copa Rushmori 16, Cup of Harmony 58, NSCAA 4
2nd Place: World Baseball Classic 19 & 22, Gaelic Football WC 4,
Di Bradini Cup 23, CoH 54, T20 Cricket Championships 3, Rugby LWC 14
3rd Place: Copa Rushmori 5, 14, 15 & 17, Market Cup 3, RLWC 10
4th Place: DBC 15, WBC 24

Michael VII
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks, I will still definitely do a post match RP though. Once Osarius does his I'll follow, because he has got a good RP going from his TG he sent me about it! :p

Next season at least Zampese won't be able to call us rookies! :lol:

NSCF 5 Champions

Domestic Sportswire

Osarius
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

Saint Luke ascends to the Utica pantheon

The widely predicted, and hoped for, shootout between two of NSCF's top quarterbacks came to fruition last night in Mytannion. But when the game was over, the University of Utica Tigers celebrated their second NSCF Championship after besting the Frbiba State Firebirds 37-26 in a game that captured the attention of everyone in attendance, and held it right to the death. The game's MVP was Luke Saint, who has now achieved the same legendary status in his home region of Tubriss as his deified older brother, Leon.

Mike Zampese, the Tigers' head coach, spoke to us after the game, remarking on his team's performance, and where he felt the game was won.

"Honestly, I think it was a lot closer than the score suggests. In the end, what I think it boiled down to was experience. We've been there before, and we knew how to win it. Frbiba State have a great program and it was a real tough game, but maybe they just weren't quite ready for it in the end. Its hard to say. [...] Yeah, I think the main difference was Luke. Almost certainly. He's proven his ability here tonight, he's not just Leon Saint's little brother anymore, he's a great quarterback in his own right. He adapted brilliantly, and his touchdown was the turning point in the game."
- Mike Zampese, Utica Tigers head coach

Zampese's comments are backed up by the game stats, which show net yardage for the teams came out at 451 to 409 in favour of Frbiba State, suggesting a failure to convert for the Woodlands Conference Champions. The real differences came in yards given up through penalties, and passing completion. Utica gave up a noticeable 60 yards via penalties to Frbiba State, but were awarded over 130 themselves, while Saint completed almost 75% of his attempts for 339 yards, compared to Scott Tyler's completion rate of a little over 60% for comparable yardage.

Harold Matterhorn explained this disparity by drawing on the performances of both teams' secondaries, and how the "trench warfare" played out.

"If you look at Tyler's distribution, its more spread out than normal, which suggests that Rigo and Hi'ro did a pretty good job keeping Michael Adsfred off the ball, and perhaps hints at a lack of depth at wideout for Frbiba State. That might be an unfair assessment, though, as Adsfred did get the better of the Utica secondary a few times, and Tyler still managed to complete 25 passes. Another factor I think may have contributed to Saint's greater success though, is Tchitcha's battle with Hector. I don't know what went on between those two, but Tchitcha didn't seem to be fully focused after the first quarter, giving up a reasonably high number of penalties, and making some uncharacteristic errors. Saint had it a bit easier in that respect, effectively knowing that there was less threat of being sacked, meaning he had more time to pick his passes, or runs in some cases. On the flipside, Tyler was always being rushed, and with Lewd and Seffer often not in good field position due to blocking assignments, he didn't really have a consistent outlet. Now, the Utica pass rush never actually succeeded, but the threat of it was very real for their quarterback, who did take a couple of big hits from Dhani Massuso after releasing the ball. That probably played on his mind a little and led to him trying to force the pass a couple of times, where there maybe wasn't one on for him."
- Harold Matterhorn, Kyoshiku Steel Wolves defensive co-ordinator and former Osarius Firebirds head coach

The game's MVP was undoubtedly Luke Saint, who finished 30-of-41 for 339 yards, 3 TDs and no interceptions, as well as carrying the football four times for 30 yards and a touchdown. Meanwhile, most pundits' tip for MVP -- Utica's Matt Jennings -- was quiet by his own high standards, picking up 75 yards and no TDs from 18 carries. That was likely a result of the Frbiba State defense identifying him as the Tigers' main threat in the backfield, though, as Saint rushed for a TD, as did Robert Johnson.

Saint's MVP credentials were perhaps highlighted best by his third quarter touchdown on 3rd and 12. The Tigers' quarterback saw no free man to throw to, and opted to carry the football. He started left, before noticing Tchitcha was getting the better of Hector and changing direction. A crucial block from Karim Ouaddou opened a lane for Saint to power through, and the Tubrissian narrowly dodged a goal line tackle for the touchdown. That score put the Tigers thirteen points clear with little over a quarter to play, and the defensive strategy seemingly working well. Until that point, the Tigers may not have completely believed they would win the game, and Frbiba State would still have fancied their chances. But seeing Saint open a whole new dynamic to the Tigers' offense would have shaken the Firebirds' defensive plans, giving the veterans another psychological edge over their less experienced rivals.

To their credit, Frbiba State battled back to within four points of the Tigers, and were pushing to steal the lead in a strong fourth quarter showing, only for a late interception by Hi'ro Manaka'li to return control to Utica, and see Robert Johnson effectively end any chance of a comeback as he ran the ball into the endzone just before the two minute warning.

Raul Hector came in for special praise at the end of the game from Luke Saint, who pointed out that the big tackle had been "an outstanding protector", while trying to share the praise with the rest of his team.

"I don't know how he kept Tchitcha away, to be honest. But he's played that position for four years now, and he featured in the championship game against UArk a couple years back so he knows how to handle these situations, I guess. Honestly I'm glad I had him there. I didn't fancy getting up close and personal with Tchitcha again! [...] Yeah, it was a team effort. I can't take the praise today. That run was all thanks to Karim [Ouaddou] and Lloyd [MacLean], anyway. Karim got me away from the line and then I saw Lloyd get a nice block for me at five yards out of the corner of my eye."
- Luke Saint, Utica Tigers starting quarterback and offensive captain

This success is likely to restart the "Zampese for Osarius" claims, as the national side have struggled to taste playoff success in recent World Bowls, but after making history in Tubriss, it's extremely doubtful that Utica will be willing to let their head coach leave. Zampese himself has made no secret of his ambition to eventually coach the national side, but has been quoted repeatedly over the past year as saying that he has "unfinished business" in Utica, presumably referring to that elusive tenth OCGL Championship. Not to mention a challenging fourth season in NSCF, where his program will defend the championship for a second time.

Frbiba State	3  14  3   6    26
Utica 3 20 7 7 37

1st Quarter
UTC - P. Atkinson 23 yard field goal 0-3
FSU - K. Xanthy 33 yard field goal 3-3

2nd Quarter
UTC - K. Ouaddou 12 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick 3-10
UTC - J. Barrios 30 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick 3-17
FSU - F. Lewd 12 yard pass from S. Tyler (K. Xanthy kick) 10-17
UTC - L. MacLean 19 yard pass from L. Saint (P. Atkinson kick 17-17
FSU - M. Freddit 12 yard pass from S. Tyler (K. Xanthy kick) 17-24

3rd Quarter
UTC - L. Saint 12 yard rush (2pt conversion failed) 17-30
FSU - K. Xanthy 24 yard field goal 20-30

4th Quarter
FSU - K. Xanthy 31 yard field goal 23-30
FSU - K. Xanthy 34 yard field goal 26-30
UTC - R. Johnson 6 yard rush (P. Atkinson kick) 26-37

Utica Stat Leaders

Passing: Luke Saint (30-of-41 for 339 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs)
Receiving: Jesus Barrios (6 receptions for 90 yards and 1 TD)
Rushing: Robert Johnson (18 carries for 75 yards and 0 TDs)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports