NATION

PASSWORD

SM-10 Daimyo Maritime Search & Destroy Aircraft

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2007
Ex-Nation

SM-10 Daimyo Maritime Search & Destroy Aircraft

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Gemballa Avionic Development

Please purchase the SM-10 in the Gemballa Avionic Development Storefront

SM-10 Daimyo

The SM-10 Daimyo is a military aircraft designed to take on Maritime Search and Destroy roles. The SM-10 is capable of performing anti-submarine warfare, anti-shipping warfare and surveillance/electronic intelligence roles. Its mission statement is simple. It searches for enemy shipping, then destroys it with a powerful array of weaponry unmatched by any fighter and carried in a package far more focused for shipping attacks than any bomber. The Daimyo can carry a range of weapons including torpedos, anti-shipping missiles, depth charges and can also be used to drop surveillance tools such as sonobouys. The SM-10 can also process information gathered off the bouys and relay them to other networks or act upon the information itself. The SM-10 is based on the M555 Invictus passenger airliner, and shares the airframe and engines with the commercial jet.

Origins

The Daimyo was conceived after several attacks on shipping in the open ocean between rival countries. The Mikoyan-Guryevich High command realised that if they too were at war, their shipping would be just as vulnerable to attacks from enemy fleets and submarines. Several types of aircraft were looked at for evaluation such as the Lockheed P-3 Orion and the Nimrod, however GAD developed their own answer, the SM-10 Daimyo.

Last edited by Mikoyan-Guryevich on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
[strike]I'm a former NS Mentor! If you have any roleplaying related questions, feel free to ask me over telegram!

If I ever appear to be inactive, it's because I am.

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Avionics

The most prominent avionic feature on the SM-10 is the MAD Boom to the rear of the aircraft. A magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) is an instrument used to detect minute variations in the Earth's magnetic field. The MAD Boom detects enemy submarines in water by looking for anomalies in the earths magnetic field.

A run down of how a MAD works: An electric field is set up in conductors experiencing a variation in physical environmental conditions, providing that they are contiguous and possess sufficient mass. Particularly in submarine hulls, there is a measurable temperature difference between the bottom and top of the hull producing a related salinity difference, as salinity is affected by temperature of water. The difference in salinity creates an electric potential across the hull. An electric current then flows through the hull, between the laminae of seawater separated by depth and temperature.

The resulting dynamic electric field produces an electromagnetic field of its own, and thus even a titanium or non-magnetic hull will be detectable on a MAD scope, as will a surface ship for the same reason.

The SM-10 also features the same advanced radar system as the RM-30 San Real comprision of an uprated version of the Cervelo SS-16 radar warning receiver/emissions locator system, Cervelo SB-77 Infra-Red and Ultra-Violet MAWS (Missile Approach Warning System) and a more powerful version of the Cervelo DD-18X Active Scan radar. The DD-18X features both long-range target acquisition and low risk of interception of its own signals by enemy aircraft due to its complex set up and frequent channel changing.

The SS-16 is a passive receiver system capable of detecting the radar signals in the environment. It is composed of 50 antennas smoothly blended into the wings and fuselage that provide all around coverage plus azimuth and elevation information about enemy aircraft. With significantly greater range than the radar, it enables the SM-10 to limit its own radar emission to preserve its stealth. As a target approaches, the receiver can set the DD-20X radar to track the target with a very narrow radar wave, which can be as focused as precisely to 1° by 1° in azimuth and elevation. As the SM-10 is not designed for air-to-air combat, its on board electronics asses the threat.

The Cervelo DD-20X-S Active Scan radar is designed for strike operations and features a low-observable, active-aperture, electronically-scanned array that can track multiple targets, in any weather, including storms. The DD-20X also features Terrain Following Radar, in a phased array system. The system works by transmitting a radar signal towards the ground area in front of the aircraft. The radar returns can then be analysed to see how the terrain ahead varies, which can then be used by the aircraft's autopilot to maintain a reasonably constant height above the earth. This technology enables flight at very low altitudes, and high speeds, avoiding detection by enemy radars and interception by anti-aircraft systems. This allows the pilot to focus on other aspects of the flight besides the extremely intensive task of low flying itself.
The Cervelo DD-20X Active Scan changes electromagnetic frequencies at more than 1,000 times per second to greatly reduce the chance of being intercepted by an enemy aircraft. If the SM-10 is spotted, it can then focus its radar emissions on an enemy aircraft, to overload enemy sensors and thus jamming the enemy radar.

The radar's information is processed by four Indeon Common Integrated Processors (CIP). Each CIP can process 12 billion instructions per second and has one gigabyte of memory, allowing it to store a wealth of information and making the system nearly impossible to overload. Information can be gathered from the radar and other onboard and offboard systems, where it is then filtered by the CIP which will effectively 'gist' the meanings of the signals onto several cockpit displays, enabling the crew to remain on top of complicated situations by having all the information simply presented. The more powerful radar has an estimated range of 500 kilometres.

Cockpit

The cockpit was designed from the outset to be a fully glass cockpit wihtout any tradtional analouge instruments. This presents the challenge of the chance of engine failure in which all the cockpit instruments fail as well. Two small inlets in the fuselage are automatically opened during engine failure, which suck in air to spin two generators, which provide enough power to keep the cockpit operational.

The main features of the SM-10 cockpit include a simple and rapid start-up procedure, a highly developed Human-Machine Interface and a highly integrated threat warning system. The cockpit of the SM-10 is large enough for the two pilots and the defensive suite operator. A small compartment directly behind the cockpit houses a lavatory and basin, which may become necessary on long flights.

The SM-10 also provides enough additional space for a mission crew of 7, two pilots, a defensive suite operator, a radar operator, a SONAR operator, and an offensive systems operator. Excluding pilots, each position has its own station with its own specific roles.

The SM-10 also features a special night vision system, the same used on the RM-30 Bomber. A strip of Infra Red sensors are mounted directly below the windshield of the SM-10, and when these are engaged, they project the image directly on to the windshield itself, giving the pilots the impression the world has illuminated as such.

Offensive Systems

The SM-10 can carry a powerful arsenal of weaponry, including torpedos, anti-shipping missiles, depth charges and mines. This lethal array makes the SM-10 one of the deadliest aircraft faced by enemy shipping. The arsenal combined with the advanced radar display means the Daimyo can not only detect any and every vessal in range, it also has the means to dispose of them as well.

The SM-10 has two internal bomb-bays mounted in the underside of the fuselage. The bomb bays can carry 15 tonnes of ordnance. Ordnance can be comprised of missiles, torpedos and mines which can be carried in a variety of configurations. Launching ordnance requires opening the weapons bay doors for less than a second. The ordnance is pushed clear of the airframe by hydraulic arms where they then fire at the target. Carrying missiles and bombs internally returns lower drag due to the absense of underwing armament permitting higher speeds, both maximum and cruise, and a much longer range due to less fuel being required.

Also mounted before the bomb bays are two rotary rocket launchers capable of holding missiles. The missiles are tasked to their target by the offensive systems operator and are then fired. Each launcher can carry 6 rockets in a revolver style system.

Four pylons are also mounted on the wings, providing an additional sixteen hardpoints. Each pylon is capable of carrying 5 tonnes of ordnance each. Wing ordnance can be comprised of torpedos and missiles.

Defensive Systems

The SM-10 also employs a DAS. A defensive aids system (DAS) is a military aircraft system which defends it from attack by surface-to-air missiles, air-to-air missiles and guided anti-aircraft artillery. A DAS typically comprises chaff, flares, and electronic countermeasures combined with radar warning receivers to detect threats. On the SM-10, the entire system is integrated and computer-controlled, allowing an aircraft to autonomously detect, classify and act in an optimal manner against a potential threat to its safety.
Last edited by Mikoyan-Guryevich on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
[strike]I'm a former NS Mentor! If you have any roleplaying related questions, feel free to ask me over telegram!

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Thrust

Thrust is provided by two Azzuri TR350 augmented high bypass turbofan engines. The thrust rating of a single engine is approximately 56,000lbf and the engine itself only weighs 10,500 pounds. The advanced fuel spray and turbine technologies allow the TR350 to use much less fuel than the similarly powerful Rolls Royce Trent of the Boeing 777. A TOGA (Take-Off, Go-Around) power function is also fitted, giving 120% thrust for 5 minutes with 10 minute rest periods in between.

Using ConDenSer (CDS) technology, fuel is kept in a partial frozen state in the fuel tanks, this significantly richens the mixture allowing much more power gallon for gallon versus fuel at room temperature, meaning the engines produce more thrust for less fuel consumed, resulting in a huge advantage over conventional fueled aircraft. A similar aircraft such as the Nimrod will use 30% more fuel on a 5000km cruise by comparison.

Each engine is mounted below the wing and can be operated independently of each other. These engines do not have thrust vectoring capabilities or exhaust suppresion, as these features are not necessary for an aircraft performing these roles.

Airframe

The SM-10 is based around the airframe and engines of the highly advanced and succesful M555 airliner. The M555, made by Los Rios Group, is a small medium range airliner and is one of the most common types in the world. Its advanced airframe and engine technologies made it the perfect donor platform for the Daimyo project.

The M555 was born as a follow up program to the initial MRZ001 program which resulted in the M565 Aspire. The Aspire, being much larger and able to fly much further, was accepted as a donor aircraft for technology and flight control systems for the new M555. The new program was given the go ahead even before the 565 entered production and was promptly christened MRZ002. While the Aspire was the donor for technology systems, the MRZ002 design team, who also designed the MRZ001, based the exterior concept heavily on the MRZ001, giving the MRZ002 the same clean and slippery airframe as its larger sibling

As with the MRZ001, signature curves and winglets are clearly visible on the MRZ002. This helps the MRZ002 eliminate drag in both parasite and induced forms, meaning it can use less engine power to fly at the same speed as a conventional jet. The MRZ002 also has a much higher cruise speed, a longer glide range and will slash fuel and mantinence bills.

The SM-10 has a slightly higher drag than the M555 due to the extra external features such as pylons and the MAD Boom to the rear. However the slippery airframe of the M555 still brought the same advantages to the SM-10 as it did with the M555. The aircraft can fly further and faster than other contemporaries.
Last edited by Mikoyan-Guryevich on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 pm

Specifications

General characteristics

Crew: 6 (pilot, co-pilot, offensive systems, defensive systems operator, sonar, radar)
Length: 61m
Wingspan: 35m
Height: 12.85 m
Empty weight: 42,000kg
Loaded weight: 100,000 kg
Max takeoff weight: 120,000kg
Powerplant: 2× Azzuri TR320Turbofans
Dry thrust: 70,000 lbf each

Performance

Maximum speed 1004 km/h
Cruise speed 900km/h
Range 14,300 km
Combat radius 6,000 km
Service ceiling 15,000 m

Armament
2x internal bays for 20,000 kg of ordnance
2x internal rotary launchers (6 missiles each)
4x External Pylons (16 hardpoints for missiles/torpedos)

Purchasing the SM-10
The SM-10 is availabe for $126,200,000 per unit

The Domestic Production Rights are available for $550,000,000,000
Last edited by Mikoyan-Guryevich on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Libertarian Governance
Senator

Founded: Oct 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Governance » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:21 pm

To: Gemballa Avionic Development

Libertarian Governance would like to purchase the Domestic Production Rights on the SM-10 for NS $550,000,000,000. The aircraft will be produced by LG Defense Systems Inc., under license under the designations SM-10K and SM-10GSV. The SM-10K and SM-10GSV will carry various payload and avionic packages in line with our war fighting doctrine and defense needs.

Sincerely,

Tom McWain
Chief of Foreign Affairs
Last edited by Libertarian Governance on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stand up, it's time to rise. It's time for revenge, opposition must die
Chaos, violence, revolution now! - GG Allin

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Libertarian Govenance

Thank you for your order. Please find your receipt in the Gemballa Avionic Development Storefront. Any further matters regarding to your order should also be handled in this storefront.

Thank you for choosing Gemballa

Return to Global Economics and Trade