NATION

PASSWORD

The First Star [MT, Open]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Repulaea
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

The First Star [MT, Open]

Postby Repulaea » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Undisclosed Location, northern Repulaea
05:45 hours

Fiddling with his pen, Thomas had little idea what was about to happen. For nearly a decade he watched over it like a child. But it was not so. He modified it, built it up, then tore it down. Time after time he carried out this "circle of life" for this "child" of his. STAR was little more than a glimpse of how badly the President wanted his nation to be too powerful. To be too well defended. The project's goals, however, belonged to Thomas. He was now about to see his love child of science and technology prove its worth to the world. He attempted to shut out his mixed feelings as he crumpled up blank printer sheets and made baskets with them. Sometimes he'd be fortunate enough to make the paper into the trash bin about twenty feet away. But he was never a good shot to begin with.

"Doc?" came an echoing voice from the hallway. The voice came weakly through the door, laying slightly ajar on its hinges. "Doctor Marssles? Sir are you in there?" A knock came.

"Yes?" responded Thomas Marssles. "I'm here Franklin." The door opened. A tall thin man in hardhat and suite peered through, his spectacles perched precariously on his thin nose. "I told you, Doctor, call me Frank."

"I'll think about it if you'll call me Tom once in a while." said Thomas.

"Touche." responded his colleague. "Now here," he said throwing Tom a green hardhat. "Put this on. The general's waiting"

Just minutes after traversing the dimly lit cold halls of the bunker, they arrived at the observation area. The light phased Tom for a second, though he quickly recovered, following his friend, Frank, to the center of the observation area. A thin window was at the north wall facing the arid desert. Lounge chairs and drinks had been set up alongside the cameras as if it were some sort of casual occasion. A get-together. It was not, of course. By the Lord it was not.

"Tom, over here." said Frank, pulling Tom out of his deep trance. As Tom approached, Frank spoke again smiling. "Tom, this is Lieutenant General Daniel Antein. With an E-I!" The both of them started laughing but Tom hadn't a clue what they were laughing about. An inside joke, perhaps? he thought to himself. "Ah yes, and this is Doctor Thomas Marssles." Frank continued. "He's the chief scientist and engineer on STAR."

"Yes, of course." said the General right away, shaking Tom's hand. "Nice to meet you, sir. A pleasure." The tall gruff looking bearded general had the look of an outdoorsman about him. He had a kind, childish face, however.

"The pleasure is mine, General." replied Tom.

"May I ask all present to take their seats and put on their hardhads given to you at the door?" said a young Lieutenant at the center of the room. "Also, keep the glasses on. That's the most important part, especially if you don't eat your carrots!" The room laughed, with the exception of Tom who was in no mood to be happy. He had the most painful gut wrenching feeling that he had created a monster. A demon spawn of his own scientific and technological mastery. The room was silent.

"So..." said Tom to the General, quietly. "Where have I heard the name 'Antein' before?"

"Ah," said the General, happy to answer. "do you watch football?"

"Of course." said Tom.

"Well my son, Richard, is playing for the national team. They'll be playing in their first cup later this month I believe."

"That's right..." said Tom quietly returning to his angst.

"Here it comes!" said Frank happily as he stared at the counter above.

The clock then ran out as it struck 06:00 hours. Sweat drenched Tom's face, coursing through his black hair like blood through veins. The bunker shook as a bright light suffused the room through the small crack. The desert was blackened followed by cheers.

From the news center in Ancot, this is UBNN.

"Hello and welcome to UBNN, I'm Alice Fisher sitting in for Ron Braily with an astounding breaking story. Cradle County, outside of the Kale region, in northern Repulaea, received a violent wakeup call from their local 'rooster'. At exactly 6 o'clock this morning, western, a nuclear test was effectively carried out by the Repulaean military. The yield of the weapon or any other specifics is, as of yet, unknown. Still, this is an amazing turn of developments in the nation's nuclear program, which is no longer as secretive as it used to be.

Just hours after the test, the government released, to the public, information about the Strategic and Tactical Arms for Repulaea program, also known by its acronym, 'STAR'. This program has been the focal point for much of the last ten years' work on our nation's nuclear weapons production. With the very first test successful, the President said, in a press conference earlier today, that it will not be long before Repulaea has a functioning nuclear stockpile.

The defense of our nation is key. We must have the ability, not only to ward off inbound nuclear attacks, but to also strike back with the same ferocity if need be. Remember, though; I have pressed for the production of these weapons in the hopes that we may never have to use them. I pray to God test sites will be the only areas of nuclear detonation for Repulaea's new arsenal.

That was, of course, President Andrew Barr in Ancot today. He would go on to say that the STAR program would be the foundation for Repulaea's defensive abilities. 'With this first launch,' he said 'will come many stars.' This is the first star. Will it truly be the last?

Thanks for tuning in, I'm Alice Fisher. Goodnight from Ancot."
Last edited by Repulaea on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Beatus
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Beatus » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:14 am

Office of Strategical Intelligence Analyses and Prioritizing

"Sir, we've got another packet coming in marked OSIAP URGENT," one of the men in the room said to the other.

"Very well Harvey, read it to me," the other man replied.

"Yes sir," replied Lieutenant Harvey Pines as he started to read, "Flash Traffic, Urgent OSIAP. Seismic tremor affirms local reports of nuclear detonation in Northern Repulaea. Atmospheric tests suggest either extremely high yield underground detonation or lower yield atmospheric detonation. Reclassification of Repulaea as nuclear state is suggested. More traffic to follow."

Lieutenant Colonel Lilliford Scott leaned back in his desk chair, bumping into the wall of the small office. His eyes gazed aimlessly in the direction of Lt. Pines, who was seated on the opposite side of the desk, as his hands reached out in front of him, grasping at air. "Harvey, do you see my pipe?"

"Here it is sir," Lt. Pines said, thrusting the pipe into Lt. Col. Scott's right hand.

"Thank you my boy," the blind man said kindly. "I don't know what I'd do with out you. As for these folks in Repulaea, looks like we've got more boys who like to play with fancy toys. When will they ever learn?" Lt. Col. Scott said, remembering how he had lost his own vision when he mistakenly looking into the explosion of a nuclear test from an observation aircraft. "They claim them as defensive, however, I'd like to see one of them use such a weapon on their own soil. Just once and I'd believe this defensive crap." By this time he had the tobacco in the pipe, and was skillfully lighting it. Lt. Pines began coughing at the smoke, the office really wasn't made for two people, however, Lt. Col. Scott need an assistant to help him function with his, challenge. "Okay mark it up in the system, the nation of Repulaea is offensive by nation, and shows aggressive tendencies, relations are to be maintained, however, dealings with them are to be closely monitored." As the middle aged Lt. Col. spoke, young Lt. Pines started typing away into the computer.
Factbook | NS
The Theocratic Dominion of the Beatus
DEFense CONdition: 3 Enhanced Readiness

I Participated in the HDI World Census of Late Spring/Early Summer 2010! You can too at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57088

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:25 am

The New Hayesalian News was buzzing. A nation so close to New Hayesalia, a nuclear power? Well, they'd be reclassified to nuclear state. But, seeing as New Hayesalia had basically no connections to Repulea, it was considered moot point. They'd get the standard letter from the New Hayesalian Anti-Nuclear Society, a group not endorsed by the government, probably to be burned up and thrown out. Otherwise, the SLAMS system would make sure New Hayesalia was never affected by nuclear devices.

Return to International Incidents