NATION

PASSWORD

Tailville, DR Anti-Slavery Summit (SEMI-OPEN, *PART I*...)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:51 am

"His Works require the sacrifice of all Faithful in one way or another. Many of our Brothers and Sisters work the entirety of their lives to produce, and when they die, their family carries on this task, sometimes thanklessly, almost always eternally. Others are wounded terribly in war, their bodies torn to test their souls. Others die, their appointed time met and their fate sealed, their joy eternal once more as they are reconnected to the Akalaha.
We ask, Our Great Protector, that the Arch-Bishop's soul has been taken from this Earth as her appointed time had been met. Because she was found worthy in your eyes. Not because she misrepresented Your Will, but because she pleased you the most and you find yourself enriched by her mortal life.
We ask this in your name. Atali'Roftalan, e'rush tzeliradin brolindarin, cazadore clui'kasha. Sela'Dinar."
"Sela'Dinar."
The Cardinal-Superior and his small entourage stood in an enclosed space with the window open to the southwest, in the direction of the First Cathedral. It had taken some time to find this spot, as any other point of prayer was not worthy of the Arch-Bishop's death.
It had also taken time to finish the many prayers. There was the prayer for the dead, prayer for the soul's passing, prayer for guidance, and the prayer of reconnection just to name a few. Not all of these were required, but it was a naturally response. Saranasata was lost momentarily. The Arch-Bishop, Janice, had been a healthy woman. He had earnestly despised some of her more pacifist policies- the dismantling of the Home Guard among them- but respected her as a person and as the personification of the Holy Marsh's will.
With her soul having passed on into the Akalaha, her life having ended, a new sign shone brightly to all faithful. And having read the leaves correctly, Saranasata knew the future. He would be Arch-Bishop, and billionbs beating hearts and souls in need of guidance would soon look to him. The thought both chilled him and warmed him in equal measures fear and joy, pride and terror.
His attendant returned, having brought with him the shattered form of his host. Without waiting for permission and without hesitation, he took her hand with his two.
"A'sili, chu'chalen arvlock." He said before letting her hand go, "I know the Arch-Bishop was a friend of yours. I suspect you are deeply wounded in some ways by her passing." He finished, his intuition not challenged as her face and body language showed in plain view a woman in suffering. But as soon as he was warm with her, a certain chill soon developed within that shown through his eyes.
The Will and the Work were never to be delayed.

"It is good that you called for this summit to go ahead as planned. The Holy Marsh's Will is delayed by mourning for no mortal, not even the Holiest among us. Slavery is an affront to the Holy Marsh Himself and must be destroyed as swiftly as we can achieve it and as totally as mere mortals can accomplish."
He started walking down the hall with his host, who even in mourning had a certain glow about her that was regal and emboldened. That was a good thing.
"Marshites have a saying regarding slavery that is often misinterpreted by the ignorant. 'In order to become a master, one must become a master at being a servant'. What this means is that in order for Marshites to become the masters of humanity's path to salvation, they must first become the greatest servants possible to the Holy Marsh. This is the greatest expression of free will that the faith allows. We choose to serve, to devote, to pray and to hold fast our faith through the fires of eternity. Slaves have no such choice, no choice to devote oneself. This is a denial of their basic right given to the Holy Marsh- to devote oneself to one of the many paths of salvation. Those that deny these poor souls this right are vile, disgusting beasts that deserve to be wiped out and the entireties of their culture erased from the fabric of reality for time immemorial." He finished as they reached the platforms once more.
"Every second we spend here is one more soul lost to the flame for an eternity of wandering. We must quickly get to the decision points of this meeting so we can then act on what we decide here."

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:24 am

Palace of the Revolution
Tailville, DR
Revolutionary Commonwealth of Wagdog

Bieito was starting to reply to Dr. Kázmér.

"Dr. Kázmér, this is why I feel that we must offer each of the escaped slaves a choice. They can either elect to join a unified freed slave state, or they can elect to join a Delian League, or other friendly nation as a citizen. We can give them guidance, but it will be up to them to make such a state work. Any leaders that emerge will have to write a constitution, form a government, and build up the nation. Those nations that wish to would provide help when and where we are able to do so, but most of the legwork must be done by them.

We would also likely have to educate the populace using volunteer teachers that are paid by the nations that send them, until such time as the local populace is well educated enough to take over themselves. In addition, we would have to provide funding for our companies to build the things that every nation needs. Especially infrastructure projects.

When you bring up the cultural differences, this is another reason that I state that each person must be given a choice. Those who make that choice must fully understand what they are getting themselves into. When we teach the population, we might even have to teach them English as a common language. Believe it or not, before I started working for the Lamonian Foreign Ministry, I actually taught English to those who did not speak the language. English can be taught to people much more easily than people think. It does take time, but it can well be done. The way that it was done when I was teaching was to split the classes into four levels. The first level would obviously start with those who know the least about the language, and the fourth level would be for those who are working on their way to being fluent. This would obviously have to be done in conjunction with other areas of study, and there are tests which can measure a person's level of fluency with the English language.

This would not erase the differences of culture, values, or belief, but we can at least work on the language barrier. Once we have solved the language barrier problem, we can work on the other problems that such a new culture would face. I also fully agree that we need to let the freed slaves themselves determine the form of government that they operate under, but I also feel that if we are going to go down this route, the process should start as soon as possible. We need to have a plan in place, which would allow us to begin preparations to assist the freed slaves with the formation of their own nation. Dr. Kázmér, would you be willing to start working on such a plan with me, so that we may present it to the assembled delegates during one of the working meetings at this very conference? Obviously we won't have a complete plan, but we will need the thoughts and assistance of the other delegates in order to get this plan on a solid footing. What are your thoughts on this?"
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Libertarian Governance
Senator

Founded: Oct 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Governance » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:56 am

Returning the smile with an added nod of his head Thomas stepped a little closer to Willhelm, talking somewhat conspiratorially. You know I sort of like what Senator Shiquar just said about making an example out of one of the major slave states. That would be such a nice addressing, don't you think?

Glancing around the meeting he takes in the conversations of the other delegates for a moment. Some interesting ideas around. Talking about the issues have been easy, it's turning that talk into effective and consistent action that I would cite as the main reason slavery still exist. At some point you need powerful examples.

Raze one of these tyrants and hand it over to the freed individuals. That would be a proper example while addressing the other aspects of the trade.
He smiles again. I know our two people could show the proper way to address these issues.

Ah Senator Shiquar, Thomas McWain. I couldn't help but overhear your very well thought out solutions. Turning slightly he acknowledges Willhelm. I am sure you know my dear friend Willhelm Stossel. We were just discussion the need for a coordinated and aggressive response to the scourge of slavery. I am very interested in your view, could you elaborate?
Last edited by Libertarian Governance on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stand up, it's time to rise. It's time for revenge, opposition must die
Chaos, violence, revolution now! - GG Allin

Xerut
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xerut » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:41 am

Katonazag wrote:Dr. Kázmér turned and acknowledged Bieito, then listened intently to the proposal. "Well, sir, I do believe that it should be a component worth heavy consideration. Firstly, it's been the HCSK's standing policy to offer any slaves freed by, in, or near the HCSK asylum at the very least. From there, we then offer access to the citizenship process of our nation, or referral to the processes of other Fegosian Union or Delian League nations. However, the HCSK has liberated very few slaves during it's history, so the processes and procedures are not something that is familiar to the average citizen.

As such, the idea of an emancipated slave nation hasn't really ever come up with any seriousness. But at a conference such as this, it's something that is bound to come up. Personally, I can think of two potential issues that may come up outside of the obvious ones of cost and land availability.

Firstly, are there enough slaves that have an intense enough desire for their own country to make such a thing operationally feasible? I'm sure that out of every emancipated slave population there will be some fraction, great or small, that may desire this. Yet, others may desire the comfort of a system that's already established and stable. The HCSK is but one example of this, with industries and commerce exploding and expecting to exceed the available domestic work force inside the next four fiscal years. It's because of this that we've taken measures to make both temporary and permanent work immigration between our nation and FU and DL nations and Golderon as seamless and fluid as possible. Even to the point of opening up the option for dual citizenships with these nations.

Secondly, we can probably expect to receive slaves from all over the world and from vastly different cultures. We can't just haphazardly drop them into the same place with no common bond of culture, values, beliefs, or language, even if they shared in the circumstances of slavery. I can only see two potential approaches to this problem. Either separate nations, or separate territories within the same nation. If the nations or territories are separate but adjacent, we run the serious risk of Balkanization - and we all know what that can lead to. Just because they were all slaves does not mean that they will by any means be immune from territorial and cultural disputes that could turn violent, and for which we could be seen as liable.

My personal thinking on the issue is this: if we do pursue setting up slave nations, I think that we will first have to have a slave population on hand that has a significant enough interest in creating their own nation. Second, they will need to present an organized plan for government. Now, the HCSK supports a peoples' right to self-governance by the means of their choosing, so we wouldn't support restricting what forms they may choose, as it also will likely have much to do with their culture. After approval by whatever organization is established, the emancipated slaves themselves will need to ratify the government by referendum, after which the funds can be allocated and a search can begin.

What are your thoughts on the matter?"

As the Foreign Minister of the Democratic Kingdom of Xerut, Arlinda Berisha was one of the most prominent women within the nation, featuring not only her own sense of smug superiority over those she knew she could mess with, which had usually been arrogant assholes who needed to be knocked down a peg here and there. She hated the smug arrogance of certain men, and even women, who would look down on her for whatever reason. She had much to show for her life as being the foreign minister of the Xerutian nation while they were losers and unfulfilled dreamers. Her Majesty's Government had appointed her to its ranks following the coronation of the Democratic Kingdom's first openly homosexual Prime Minister. A special concession had been applied to permit the civil union signed in Wagdog between Prime Minister Eleanor Hollywood and Leslie Velnouche, a renowned personality on Wagdoggie television, to be considered legally binding in the Kingdom. While on vacation in the Pacific with Leslie, she had Berisha go to represent her and the Kingdom.

As Berisha recalled whilst sitting on the plane that took her to Tailville, she had been sent to the Revolutionary Commonwealth of Wagdog to ascertain whether or not the liberated slaves of the future could be sent to Xerut for resettlement rather than being dispersed back to wherever they may have come from. For centuries, despite the racial tension that subtly hibernated within the island, immigrants from all over the world called this island nation their homeland. The slaves were to be given complete rights as citizens of the Democratic Kingdom by an act of Parliament enacted by the current administration. Her Majesty the Queen had willed that she would personally intercede on behalf of the slaves. So Berisha was sent to administer Her Majesty's Government's will. According to certain elements, intelligence reports suggested that the fates of prospective liberated slaves would inevitably be discussed at this conference in Tailville. Within Xerutian circles, the reputation of the leader of Wagdog was widely known. Christine Friedrich's mind was that of Mother Teresa crossed with Maximillian Robespierre. The means justify the ends for the greater good of the people. So the Prime Minister sent Berisha with her proposal.

Berisha wore one of those suits that showed off her lovely curves but she had no interest in attracting men or lesbians in this mission, focused solely on the fulfilling of Her Majesty's Government's will and nothing more or less. She was here to address the welfare of the pitiful slaves under the iron hand of human evil and that was all that she had in her precious little mind when she slipped out of her limosuine onto the marble ground of the plaza. She absorbed the beautiful and well kept scenery and noted how clean the Wagdoggies kept their nation. It made her feel in the presence of actual civilization, not that she was dissing her native Xerut, not by the very Gods of her ancestors, but that Wagdog was credible enough to be at least dealt with, rather than ignored like the petty fools who filled the world, annoying more civilized nations with their bullshit. They were to be ignored and forgotten, black holes devoid of any worth to the Xerutian state.

When she took her seating at what seemed to be the VIP booth for an upcoming military parade, checking in with the necessary authorities, the sultry Foreign Minister had managed to catch the words of Dr. Kázmér who had been advocating the creation of a slave nation. She knew this was someone she could coax into supporting the Xerutian proposal.

"Dr. Kázmér, is it? I'm Arlinda Berisha, the Foreign Minister of the Democratic Kingdom of Xerut. I couldn't help but notice you were discussing the prospects of creating a homeland for liberated slaves...."

She spoke in something resembling an eastern accent, explaining how the Xerutians were more than willing to accomodate practically all of the slaves although, as Christine Friedrich so eloquently pointed out, it would be their own choice whether or not to choose the Federal Republic as their new homeland and that those who did would be given citizenship upon their feet touching Xerutian soil.

"The Democratic Kingdom promises them peace, land, and bread. We are perfectly willing to accomodate most of the slaves liberated by the nations of the attending delegates here at this conference rather than merely have them sent off to some foreign land where they will have to work from scratch without knowing what is in store from them. What is to stop foreign nations from attacking them?"

Berisha pointed out that slavers were routinely punished within Xerutian territorial waters were any spotted and that each slave who chose to live on the island nation would be given land to live on, food to eat, an education for any children, and the knowledge that someone cared about their wellbeing enough to accomodate them rather than sending them off to some uncharted territory with nothing to work with. "It is prominent," Berisha explained, "that they be capable of living as productive members of society upon their liberation. We can contribute, to many of them, the means to attain such status."

Berisha also stated that, as this was a gathering of nations, it would be not a problem for the Xerutians to hear the proposals of the nations of the other delegates. Apologizing for being late for the conference, Arlinda Berisha looked out towards the strip where the soldiers would begin their marching and eagerly wondered what would happen. If anything, hopefully it'd be a complete success, a modest one at best and, if anything, she'd learn how armed Wagdoggies could be. It could probably do some good to see their armies marching down a Tailville road and hope it stayed that way.
Last edited by Xerut on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:45 am, edited 16 times in total.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:50 pm

While Bieito was making his response to Dr. Kázmér of the HCSK, he noted that a woman in a shapely suit was heading directly toward them. When Bieito had finished speaking, the sultry woman seemed to steal the attention of the man that he had been in a conversation with. Hopefully, Dr. Kázmér would be able to judge a three person conversation between himself, Bieito, and the Xerutian Foreign Minister, but Bieito would be that the crafty man would be able to accomplish that. In the meantime, Bieito politely listened to what the woman had to say.
National Anthem

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Osea 767
Minister

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Osea 767 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Concordeia wrote:"Ambassador Stolypin," Bedford greeted the delegate from Osea, shaking his hand. "It's good to see that the Union of Osea sent a delegation to attend this summit. That was some excellent deliberating back there. I noticed a delegation from Sebastianalandia is here as well, though it's a shame that more member nations of the Serovskaya Pact didn't show up. We could really use all the help we can get right now."

Stolypin immediately turned to face Bedford, warmly receiving his handshake. He then replied, still paying attention to the parade at the same time. "It is unfortunately to be expected. Yet the nations here are more than strong enough to wring the neck of the slavers. As long as we and the Sebastianalandians do the necessary work to rally the pact nations, their absence is not too much of a worry when it comes to the matter of what we can contribute to the struggle. As long as we and our allies maintain the resolve and discipline needed to finish the task, we will prevail. Yet this is an unpredictable factor. We cannot see what the mood of our allies will be like in the distant future, which is why we need to do all we can now to avoid us failing to finish the job".

The Soviet Ambassador Plenipotentiary then went silent for a moment. He seemed to be thinking on his feet, and it would probably surprise some that he had come up with his decision right in that moment. "This is an ideal chance for us to develop relations with powerful nations that will serve us in the struggles that lie ahead. I would advise you to chat with the important ones and access their moods in reaction to us. We should try and make a favorable impression on them. Our Wagdogian hosts may be favorable to us. At the moment though, I would like you to join me in meeting up with Mr. Tellenberska. I would like to discuss things with him and also feel that we Serovskaya Pact representatives should talk together".
The Federal Socialist Republic of Yaroslavl
My Fanfics
Gloomy Intelligentsia (My Blog)
Political Compass (07/12/2013)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79
Player Info Form

Concordeia
Senator

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concordeia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Bedford nodded in response. "Sounds good. Alright then, let's go meet up with Mr. Tellenberska. I think I last saw him talking with Stewardess Friedrich."
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:
Concordeia wrote:Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

I gotta say it. First time I read through this, I could have sworn it said something like this:
Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block spam missiles!

I was like, "Who the hell are you fighting... or more importantly, was your lunch meat laced?"

Grossrheinland Reich wrote:
CTALNH wrote:3 words: S&M and BSDM

Let it be known that God hates you.
OOC: so fkn hawt

Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868

Sebastianalandia
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianalandia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Osea 767 wrote:
Concordeia wrote:"Ambassador Stolypin," Bedford greeted the delegate from Osea, shaking his hand. "It's good to see that the Union of Osea sent a delegation to attend this summit. That was some excellent deliberating back there. I noticed a delegation from Sebastianalandia is here as well, though it's a shame that more member nations of the Serovskaya Pact didn't show up. We could really use all the help we can get right now."

Stolypin immediately turned to face Bedford, warmly receiving his handshake. He then replied, still paying attention to the parade at the same time. "It is unfortunately to be expected. Yet the nations here are more than strong enough to wring the neck of the slavers. As long as we and the Sebastianalandians do the necessary work to rally the pact nations, their absence is not too much of a worry when it comes to the matter of what we can contribute to the struggle. As long as we and our allies maintain the resolve and discipline needed to finish the task, we will prevail. Yet this is an unpredictable factor. We cannot see what the mood of our allies will be like in the distant future, which is why we need to do all we can now to avoid us failing to finish the job".

The Soviet Ambassador Plenipotentiary then went silent for a moment. He seemed to be thinking on his feet, and it would probably surprise some that he had come up with his decision right in that moment. "This is an ideal chance for us to develop relations with powerful nations that will serve us in the struggles that lie ahead. I would advise you to chat with the important ones and access their moods in reaction to us. We should try and make a favorable impression on them. Our Wagdogian hosts may be favorable to us. At the moment though, I would like you to join me in meeting up with Mr. Tellenberska. I would like to discuss things with him and also feel that we Serovskaya Pact representatives should talk together".

In one of those moments of coincidental mental connection, at that very moment Plenipotentiary Tellenberska, growing a bit bored with the parade and even the view of the islander delegation, had walked away from the Stewardess with his limping stride. He searched for a few minutes in the crowd, before the familiar faces of Soviet Ambassador Plenipotentiary Stolypin and the Concordeian Bedford appeared. Realizing that the Serovskaya Pact should present a unified argument in order to exert influence, he began to limp towards the two.

"Comrades, Citizens! This conference is good, the ideals are true, our host is fair - but if it's to be worth a farthing, we must organize. As the sole representatives of the Pact, I feel we should discuss things amongst ourselves before the main session starts. Shall we adieu to a quite spot?"
Last edited by Sebastianalandia on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldaten, Kameraden, kämpft alle für Euer Vaterland und die ruhmreiche Revolution, die es verkörpert!
Milites, Amici, decertate pro patria revolutioque pro qua designat!
Cuauhtin, icniuh mochinti, yaotihua moca amointlal ihuan ic mahuizauhqui hualmocuepa ihcac!
Saighdiúirí, Chomrádaithe, troid do dó thír agus an réabhlóid ghlórmhar a léiríonn sé!
Cabinet:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16692&p=1322181#p1322181

COMINTERN, Worker's Pact, Serovskaya Pact, Observer of the SEC, COMCON

The Steel Fraternity wrote:Godless, infanticidal Communists, and avowed enemies of freedom and democracy.

Napalm would be less efficient than nuclear weapons, but much more satisfying.

Sagatagan wrote:[T]hese Leninist dogs ought to be beheaded!

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The State of Monavia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Parade ground stands

The Minister continued his discussion with Ambassador Bidstrup. The diversity of languages being employed, some of which he did not even recognize, left him unaware of whatever was being discussed between the Allaneans and the C’tani. For the purposes of maintaining a focus on the current topic, he had not bothered to interrupt his conversation with Bidstrup in order to eavesdrop on Bieto’s proposal for the creation of a free state for emancipated slaves, nor did he pay much attention to where the Concordeian was going. At the moment, his focus was on Bidstrup.

“If the WASO is this ineffective because of conscious decisions on the part of the leadership to make it into a temporary reprieve for freedom around the world, then perhaps it is time that this conference decides to issue them a challenge. While we are developing plans for dismantling slavery, we can cover our operations and buy some time for both ourselves and some slaves by rallying the WASO’s members.

“We would have to send copies of our declaration which challenges them to grow some backbone to various leaders in the form of confidential letters. I will not risk having slaver governments and third parties obtaining these messages, so they cannot be open press statements. They better be encrypted well if they are to be sent electronically.”

Barely two minutes had gone by since Ambassador Bidstrup and Carter had found their places in the stands when the Xerutian Foreign Minister appeared. Carter had only seen her fleetingly for a few moments as she passed within his line of sight and then left, obscured by people or simply exiting his field of vision. In the precious few seconds he had to size up a woman who he had not seen before, he saw little. Having not known who she was or what government she represented, he could only speculate. Her exterior did not appear to betray much about her, so he would have to wait until she spoke to find out more.
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

United States of PA
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:46 pm

The State of Monavia wrote:Parade ground stands

The Minister continued his discussion with Ambassador Bidstrup. The diversity of languages being employed, some of which he did not even recognize, left him unaware of whatever was being discussed between the Allaneans and the C’tani. For the purposes of maintaining a focus on the current topic, he had not bothered to interrupt his conversation with Bidstrup in order to eavesdrop on Bieto’s proposal for the creation of a free state for emancipated slaves, nor did he pay much attention to where the Concordeian was going. At the moment, his focus was on Bidstrup.

“If the WASO is this ineffective because of conscious decisions on the part of the leadership to make it into a temporary reprieve for freedom around the world, then perhaps it is time that this conference decides to issue them a challenge. While we are developing plans for dismantling slavery, we can cover our operations and buy some time for both ourselves and some slaves by rallying the WASO’s members.

“We would have to send copies of our declaration which challenges them to grow some backbone to various leaders in the form of confidential letters. I will not risk having slaver governments and third parties obtaining these messages, so they cannot be open press statements. They better be encrypted well if they are to be sent electronically.”

Barely two minutes had gone by since Ambassador Bidstrup and Carter had found their places in the stands when the Xerutian Foreign Minister appeared. Carter had only seen her fleetingly for a few moments as she passed within his line of sight and then left, obscured by people or simply exiting his field of vision. In the precious few seconds he had to size up a woman who he had not seen before, he saw little. Having not known who she was or what government she represented, he could only speculate. Her exterior did not appear to betray much about her, so he would have to wait until she spoke to find out more.

“I, and my government, would not be opposed in any fashion or likeness of presenting a challenge to the WASO to do their job instead of sit back and wait for slaves already freed by other nations to come to them. My government and I both largely agree with one another in that the WASO’s continued reliance on pacifism is its major falling point. Afterall, who is going to take you seriously if all you do is take the shit thrown at you?”

“I do agree in full that when we come to agreement here, we should send encrypted versions of it including challenges to step up and take their place in this world in the very job they volunteered to do, much as we are doing such a action ourselves.”

“Like I said many times while I was speaking during the breakfast, it is of both my Governments and my opinion that most slavers will not be able to be persuaded to abolish slavery without threat of force or force itself. Afterall, Diplomacy only works when the other side wishes to talk.”
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

Katonazag
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Katonazag » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:04 am

"Minister Berisha," began Dr. Kázmér. "I'm glad to hear that your nation shares the sentiment of many nations represented here at the conference. As Mr. Bieito here has pointed out, though, some may have the will and determination to form their own nation. And I'm sure that you're as much of a proponent of a people's right to choose their government.

Perhaps the way to proceed with this at the working meeting after the parade, is to suggest an international treaty for expedience in patriation of liberated slaves, defining a proper and systematic approach for finding them acceptable new homes." He whipped out a pen and a notepad, in true engineer fashion - one of many areas he held a degree in. And besides, he was too old-fashioned to carry around one of those tablet PCs or I-Pads, or whatever they were. He started scribbling down a flow chart, as in his experience, people tended to respond well to graphics. It looked something like this:

"Now, those nations signatory to the treaty would need to agree to accept liberated slaves into their full citizenship process, possibly with some stipulations releasing them from obligation about those carrying highly infectious diseases, and those deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. And of course, the nation building process would need to be as I mentioned before, with the people to be governed and a council of the treaty signatory nations both ratifying it. Furthermore, I think that a condition on the new nations would also have to be signing on to the treaty, agreeing to accept liberated liberated slaves themselves.

How does that sound?"

Animarnia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 10, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Animarnia » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Molly DeLéan was somewhat quieter than her usual self, as she took her seat in the Parade VIP Box. it was a good view she noted to herself, truth be told though she disliked the limelight, she would often go out of her way to avoid the press. She didn't attend Balls or Galas, and she tried her best to only give speachs which were required of her, delegating to her subordinates, after-all it was good to be the king. Still the massive media presence here was unsettling. She chuckled to herself when comparing herself to her dearest, whom was seemingly bred for power she doubted if Christine even noticed how the press made her feel, heck she doubted that Christine had even thought about what to do when she retired, if she retired. Molly loved Christine, warts and all and was the first to admit that her beloved was deeply flawed in many ways. René had once said to her that Molly was a scared little girl who had managed to run further than most, despite the deep respect she had for the elder woman and leader of the Revoultionay Comonwealth.

Molly nodded to Doctor Kazmér, and Mr Bieito and the sultry woman from Xerut, truth be told she knew little of the nation outside of a CIS briefing folder which may have passed her desk, but many of those passed her desk everyday so she just politely smiled and waited her turn to cut in.

"Hello, to you Doctor, Mr Bieito" Molly said nodded; "And to you as well Madam..."

"Mr Bieito, If perhaps I could have a quiet word?" she said, taking the man to one side for just a moment "We are all talking here about what to do once the slaves are liberated, but perhaps we should discus that previous step? that is to say the 'how' they are to be liberated of course, we have already mentioned diplomatic presures however, in certain cases stronger mesures may be needed but a full military intervention may be unpopular" Molly said framing the question quietly, deliberately lower her voice to barely above a whisper.

in truth she was hinting quite clearly at using Special Forces to liberate slave camps and/or the funding and training of insurgants for domestic regime changes in Slave states, certain the SAS's repuation was fearsome enough to take note of by the Lamoni deligate, as Animarnia was aware of Lamoni Special forces prowess. Still this was to be discused privately, quietly, in detail but out of the reach of the press certainly, However she figured the subject should be bridged with the closer allies at first afterall the very idea was likely to give the Monovians a heart attack.

Parade Grounds
General Blackadder was organising the Animarnian controbution to the massive Military Parade; he was using an HD Tablet to marshal forces and communications to unit commanders pressing a buton on his Radio set; Animarnia had comited roufle a company of Nakill Tanks and Nine Companys of Mechanized Infantry along with a formation of B-7 Titan Heavy Bombers, which were scheduled to do a flyover, though had to be restricted to altitude due to the fact that the engines were so loud they would shatter windows.
[ National Map | Regional Map | Topology Map ]
[DEFCON:1 || STRATCON:1 || TERRORALERT: Elevated]
Signitory to:: CASTLE | The Amistad Declaration | Theeb I & II | Covenant | The Deliean League

Xerut
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Xerut » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Katonazag wrote:"Minister Berisha," began Dr. Kázmér. "I'm glad to hear that your nation shares the sentiment of many nations represented here at the conference. As Mr. Bieito here has pointed out, though, some may have the will and determination to form their own nation. And I'm sure that you're as much of a proponent of a people's right to choose their government.

Perhaps the way to proceed with this at the working meeting after the parade, is to suggest an international treaty for expedience in patriation of liberated slaves, defining a proper and systematic approach for finding them acceptable new homes." He whipped out a pen and a notepad, in true engineer fashion - one of many areas he held a degree in. And besides, he was too old-fashioned to carry around one of those tablet PCs or I-Pads, or whatever they were. He started scribbling down a flow chart, as in his experience, people tended to respond well to graphics. It looked something like this:

"Now, those nations signatory to the treaty would need to agree to accept liberated slaves into their full citizenship process, possibly with some stipulations releasing them from obligation about those carrying highly infectious diseases, and those deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. And of course, the nation building process would need to be as I mentioned before, with the people to be governed and a council of the treaty signatory nations both ratifying it. Furthermore, I think that a condition on the new nations would also have to be signing on to the treaty, agreeing to accept liberated liberated slaves themselves.

How does that sound?"

Berisha smiled. Surely she had known of the will of the individual to find, with his fellows, the opportunity to claim self-determination and, thus, nationhood? Of course she had. She listened to the man, absorbing the information displayed on his flow chart, and deduced that it seemed to be a satisfactory system. Saying greetings quickly to Molly DeLean, she nodded her head affirmatively to Dr. Kazmer with nothing short of a small, pleased smile.

"I think that it's a rather satisfactory system. The Xerutian nation would be pleased to affix its committment to it. Our government seeks only the security and wellbeing of the slaves, irregardless of where they happen to be repatriated following their unconditional liberation. I think that the Wagdoggies, with whom we have quite the relationship, would find it to their liking as well."

She did not think her government would express anything less than unconditional acceptance of the Doctor's idea, knowing that the government only desired some slaves to emigrate to the People's Sovereign Republic. They knew not all of them would want to venture onto the humble island of Xerut. Those who did come would be well prepared for. They were going to be not the recipients of the goodwill of the Xerutian nation, a nation that prided itself on hospitality and goodwill despite the subtle racial tension. "Our nation has a strict anti-slavery policy coupled with the full use of a coast guard to apprehend prospective raiders upon our pristine shores. The People's Sovereign Republic is more than capable of enforcing the iron hand of justice. Luckily we haven't had any come to us, though. Our government does not pray for its own citizens to be attacked just so we can kill some slavers. Nonetheless, I assume that the nations here will be expected to send soldiers to take down slavers, am I correct?"

She adjusted the collar of her suit and smiled. "We would like to make sure for the better preparation of our esteemed soldiers, after all."
Last edited by Xerut on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:41 am

OOC: The mysterious second person of the Lamonian delegation will be introduced in my next post!

Palace of the Revolution
Tailville, DR

Bieito was paying a lot of attention to the image that Dr. Kázmér was displaying. The talk of a new treaty was especially interesting, and he didn't want to miss a second of the discussion about it. The basics of what Dr. Kázmér was proposing seemed quite simple and even logical, but Bieito had seen many such plans get bogged down in red tape. He would be sure to give the plan his utmost support, and quietly slipped a copy of the basic graphic into the PDA that he was carrying. Capable of secure transmissions, he could connect it to the satellite phone that he had also brought with him to the conference. Bieito had been making daily reports to the Lamonian government like this since he had arrived in Wagdog.

Making and saving the graphic on his PDA completed, Bieito once again turned his attention to what Dr. Kázmér was talking about. "I can say for certain that the Free Republic would be willing to accept any freed slaves that show a desire to become a citizen of the Free Republic. Mind, we will do what we can to ensure that they are capable and willing to follow the law, and become a productive Lamonian citizen. We have long realized that the freed slaves would need somewhere to return to, and that is why I brought up the plan to create a new nation for freed slaves to Dr. Kázmér. Thus, we would be willing to sign such a treaty. My worry however, is that such a treaty is too simple. That it will be bound by red tape. That is something that must not happen. Red tape will only slow down work that will already take decades, in the best of cases."

This is when Bieito noticed that the Animarnian leader, Molly DeLéan was calling to him. After excusing himself from the conversation with the delegates from the HCSK and Xerut, he turned to where Molly was, and moved to polite conversational distance with her. He nodded when asked if a quiet word could be had, and listened to what was being said.

"Talk about what to do with liberated slaves will save us a lot of work once we have liberated them, and will save us many initial headaches when we decide on a plan to liberate the slaves. However, Madame President, perhaps this would be a discussion that we might have somewhere... more private. If you are hinting at what I think that you are hinting at, I believe that I saw the Monavian delegate giving Dr. Kázmér and I some glances while we were speaking. It doesn't take much imagination to see that he might have been trying to listen in on the conversation.

It would not be stretch to say that the Monavians might not like what we would discuss. I might suggest that we resume this conversation in the meeting hall. That should be private enough for what we want to talk about. In the meantime, certain men who do not officially exist would be more than willing to... raise some hell. If you'll kindly follow me, we can go to where we may speak freely."

Courteously, Bieito led the way to the meeting hall, opening doors and the like for Molly. The relationship between her and their hostess was an open secret, but one that the Lamonians knew better than to take advantage of. In the meantime, lights had begun to flicker, and Bieito knew what that meant. SHE was here.
National Anthem

Animarnia
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Animarnia » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:10 am

"Of course, it is absolutely a step that must be discused, I just think that perhaps we are getting a litle ahead of ourselves is all Mr Bieito", Molly said with no hostility or platitude; "and I agree with the good Doctors plan, it is sound and reasonable perhaps you could send a copy of the diagram he made to my tablet later? it will make explaining things to State and Central much easier", it was well known state responded well to shiney pictures.

"Certainly we need this framework, after the last disaster led by the Damirians"

Molly followed the Lamoni deligate through the palace' many elaberate halls, its wooden paneling, and marble floors buffed and shined, and giving a nice 'click' under her flat top shoes as her feet carried her. Molly was no stranger to the palace, she had been here many times and, knew its secret places nearly as well as her dearest did. Still the palace always seemed a place at odds with the natiions ideology, for ex-Communists the Palace was an opulant engorged penis made of marble and stone, on the other hand however it was elegant but sterile. the best she could come up with to describe it was found in a book she had read long ago, the city of Gondor. moreoever, sometimes the palace just did not feel lived in, where Animarnian buildings, especially those which history had character, the people who had lived in them, had left part of themselves behind in the brick and mortor. Molly seemed to visible relax as she entered the larger diplomatic room, the old oak wall panels and furnishings, plush carpets and hint of cigar smoke and; whisky certainy gave it the air of an old country club. She Offered the Lamonian a glass of Wagdogie Whisky while she poured one for herself.

Molly now seemed much more relaxed, the tension dropping off her like water off a ducks back, clear for even the casual observer to see, she was now much more in her element, even though there were times she still wished Rene had this job. Molly smiled genuinely, for perhaps the first time all morning as she sat down into one of the comfortable sofas, which was mostly a crimson red leather of varying shades taking a sip of her drink.

"Indeed, I belive that Lamoni and Animarnian Special Forces can play a large role in this endevour, though it will likely give the Monovians a heart attack to even surgest such, there will be times when we won't be able to launch full military campaigns against Sllaver States, for reasons which vary naturally even with our collective military prowess overstreach and internal issues could cause any one of us problems, not everyone has the stomach for such work" Molly said.
Signitory to:: CASTLE | The Amistad Declaration | Theeb I & II | Covenant | The Deliean League

Libertarian Governance
Senator

Founded: Oct 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Governance » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 am

Politely, excusing himself from his two friends, Thomas made his way amongst the other delegations, mingling, introducing himself to each of the other delegates in turn. Thomas had a friendly youthful face and his demeanor was both inviting and disarming. He thought many of the various ideas being presented were decent steps by themselves. But Robert wanted coordinated action that spanned the military, the economic and the diplomatic sphere.

As he made his way through the assembled delegates, Thomas was somewhat drawn to the Katanozog delegates flowchart and his discussion with the Xerutian delgate. He recalled the name from his homework on the attendees. Foreign Minister Arlinda Berisha. Waiting for a pause in the discussion he introduced himself.

Good day! He said with a wide grin. Thomas McWain, I am Chief of Foreign Affairs for The Free Republic of Libertarian Governance. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Dr. Kázmér and an equal pleasure to meet the renowned Foreign Minister of Xerut.
Thomas paused a moment, expecting her to respond in her well regarded frank manner.

Governors, as the people of Libertarian Governance were known had never followed convention. How could they, this was a nation whose forefathers sailed the world in pirate fleets. Marauding on the high seas was as much about sticking it to the powers that existed at the time as it was about riches. For, theirs was a time of monarchies and tyranny, pomp and pretense and it was something that Governors despised.

thus Governors tended to use profanity when they pleased. Sure, many in government behaved with a certain level of restraint when dealing with outsiders but even the Chief Executive was not beyond telling a world leader exactly what he was facing and he had on occasion used very colorful wording to get such a point across. Children cussed, parents cussed, grandparents cussed it was just part of the free and accepting society that was LG.

Perhaps it was from the early fleets that the national hatred of slavery developed. After all, on the warships of the Nemesis Incorporated fleet crews, regardless of race, sex, religion, sexuality were judged by their actions and what they brought to the table. There had never been slavery in LG, even after the fleets developed into communities and a country the ideas of individual worth, liberty and judging individuals as individuals were etched deeply into the nations psyche and institutions. Thomas thought about his nation's ancestors and how many were either sold into slavery when captured or freed from slavery by Captain John Locke as he continued.

Minister, I believe if we are sincere in having an impact on this despicable trade that military force is a necessity. While I do agree with your ideas Dr. Kázmér and Libertarian Governance will fully support efforts to develop such a treaty. LG welcomes any liberated individual into our nation as a free individual.

Though Libertarian Governance hopes to address this issue in a comprehensive manner, we fully support using force and believe many anti-slave efforts fail because force isn't being employed. Though I believe too in diplomacy, alongside the use of force it is force that ultimately villains, cut throats and thugs understand.
Thomas smiles again to take some of the harshness out of his last statement .

We Governors are a bit straightforward at times. What I really hoped to get your opinion on is implementing a strong program of economic sanctions targeting slave states, countries that allow the purchase of slaves and nations that do business with any of those types of nations. In looking around we are filled with economic powerhouses, nations that supply the world with weapons, natural resources and other goods. It is kind of shocking that we have conducted military operations against slavers and found our soldiers facing weaponry from some of the various nations attending this event.

What would your governments say to a total severing of economic interaction between our treaty nations and slave traders, slave buyers and their supporters? Of course, I speak of such an action as but one part of a coordinated and comprehensive effort against the trade.
Last edited by Libertarian Governance on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stand up, it's time to rise. It's time for revenge, opposition must die
Chaos, violence, revolution now! - GG Allin

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:39 am

Palace of the Revolution
Tailville, DR

"Certainly, Madame President. I can send it to your e-mail address." Hitting a few keys on his PDA sent the e-mail out to the proper e-mail account. "There you go, Madame President."

Leading President DeLéan to the meeting hall, the level of tension in the air seemed to lessen with every step. Maybe no one had noticed that these two had left the parade viewing platform? That would be advantageous for both of them.

Bieito gladly accepted the offer of Wagdian Whisky, and tried some. It went down with a warm feeling. Bieito liked that, and nodded a courteous thank you to Molly, who seemed to visibly relax.

"Something tells me that you might have a specific first target in mind. Our special forces are more than equal to the task, but they would of course need two things. A target, and an objective. They already have all of the best gear that we can find, and the best training that we can provide. Their morale is very high, as you might expect from Spec Ops soldiers.

Other than that, it would almost be worth doing this just to make the Monavians have a heart attack." A grin could be seen on Bieito's face. It wasn't that the Monavians were bad allies, it was just... they were a bit old-fashioned and pacifist for Lamonian liking, and, it would seem, Animarnian liking, as well.

"If you would like, Madame President, I can even get President Stinson in on this conversation via speaker phone. I would have to send a report on this to the President anyway, so we might as well save time, and see what he has to say."
National Anthem

Animarnia
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Animarnia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:08 am

Diplomatic Anex, Palace of the Revolution, Tailville, DR

Molly Listened carefully to the Lamonian man taking a sip of her drink, wincing slightly as it burned its way down her throat to her stomach but smiling at the warm feeling it spread through her mid section. It certainly hit the spot, but you could tell she did not drink the stuff to often.

“Thank you” she offered, back for the email as her tablet flashed to signal it had indeed received the file with a small ‘ding’ before returning to its screen saver. Molly seemed to think for a moment as she listened once more, taking in what the man was saying.

“As are our own Special forces, the SAS in particular you may have heard are quite fearsome. However a Specific target not so much I have at the time thus I would have to consult Central on the matter but there are many slaver states to choose from to begin this operation naturally, some of which are better defended than others”, Molly said.

“As for objectives, I believe we should focus firstly on slave camps, or ‘farms’ as they are often called” Molly used the word with palpable disgust; “freeing slaves and training them to fight serves as a force multiplier. After all ten freed slaves can train a hundred more. And so on creating an insurgency that we can provide arms to, covertly naturally.”

“It is also an important morale factor, freed slaves fighting against there own governments to both keep their freedom and free compatriots will fight harder and longer than any foreign army long after such a battle turns into a bloody quagmire. We should never under estimate the power of those fighting for their homes and their loved. It also breeds new leaders who can be helped to power once the fighting is over, if an invasion is eventually unavoidable” Molly added.

Molly Chuckled slightly; at the comment about the Monovians, indeed they were good people just they did not have the stomach to do what was always required for victory. If the nation of Monovia was a person it would be a gentleman dressed a tuxedo and Top Hat, with a Monocle over one eye and a pimping wooden Cain. Animarnia viewed them as the Gentlemen of Nova, not a bad thing certainly but more likely to walk softly than carry the big stick.

“Of Course whichever may be easier for you, the least paperwork we can all do the better”, Molly said with a chuckle and rye smile; “It’s been a while since I have spoken to President Stinson in detail. I understand he has been quite busy dealing with the radiation clean up operations, I understand my soldiers will be returning home shortly also?” Molly said in reply.

Katonazag
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Katonazag » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Dr. Kázmér politely welcomed Thomas to the conversation with a gesture of acknowledgement. "Chief McWain, we would most certainly welcome the support of Libertarian Governance in the treaty we've been discussing. While I realize that we've yet to reach any real consensus for unified course of action on how to liberate slaves at this conference, the ideas for how to handle the slaves once liberated seems to be something we can all agree on. Even though we're 'putting the cart before the horse', so to speak, we are more appropriately taking care of the easiest piece of the problem first."

Turning back to the others present in the conversation, he continued. "As you heard in the conference center, we all have our ideas for how to deal with nations who practice slavery in it's various forms, ranging from simple diplomatic pressure all the way up to full-scale wars. And on each approach presented, we all have our concerns about the limited successes or operational feasibilities. Even if we were to divide up and classify each slaver nation into categories by what particular practices they allow, there's still many other facets to each nation to consider. As such, I don't believe that there is a 'one size fits all' solution to ending world slavery to be reached with any intellectual honesty. Truly, each nation will have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Not only that, there is the issue of limited resources available to deal with slaver nations, as they are by no means the only threats to free peoples in this world. That is why I proposed that we use what we do have as efficiently as possible, by focusing on the most vile practice within the slave trade first: the forced enslavement of free peoples. The only way we can feasibly ever extinguish the slave trade is to cut it up, and chew it up piece by piece. If we try and destroy it all in one bite, we'll choke."

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The State of Monavia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Parade ground stands

There were many reasons why Carter was personally in attendance at the conference. The scope of the proposals being presented meant that sending someone holding a subordinate position would not leave the Monavian government with as many options when conducting negotiations. Yet, so far the minister had not shown his full hand. Some would have expect more of him by now, having only given his assent to a series of other proposals and making only a few of his own. Now, he was about to disclose to Bidstrup something larger, something which the Pennsylvanian would find appealing to his tastes.

“I agree. Well, if a show of force is needed to make others appear more willing to negotiate, perhaps it would be wise to provide some records of how well the Pennsylvanian war machine did at crushing a few of its enemies. Anyway, I have another two proposals which your government and the Lamonians would likely back in Greater Dienstad.

“I don’t know if the Norheim Doctrine has any prohibitions against slavery, but perhaps one could be added to it. Some nations will claim their sovereignty is threatened because they are abdicating their power to regulate their own trade and commerce and are ceding it to a regional agreement. Since Norheim is a defensive protocol, I also have a way around that. We say that slaves are war material, that they are used as soldiers in the armies of slaving nations and work to support the war efforts thereof.

“The amendment will be written in such a way that it makes the use of slaves as soldiers or logistics personnel against a Dienstadi nation a war crime. Slaver states that choose to go to war with you or your neighbors would be forced to choose between having slaves enter the region to support their troops, thus risking condemnation and even declarations of war from other Dienstadi powers (with prejudice, I may add), or leaving their slaves behind so as to avoid further wrath upon entering the region. Either way, they are militarily weakened by this amendment.

“To enforce it, we have the formidable military power of the region, and to enforce a similar amendment inside Nova, one that would be added to the Protocol on Territorial Sovereignty and Independent Self-Government, we have the might of Novans.” He allowed Bidstrup to address this first proposal of his before he continued on to offer another one.

“My statements about treading carefully through the thicket of international law are not entirely set in stone, but they’re not pure posturing either. There’s another plan of action I have, one that may be able to do as much direct damage to slavers as a raid by intelligence and special operations units without attracting as much attention. It does, however, require our prey to come to us, and we need bait for that."

A full-scale war was not what the Monavians wanted. They had lost close to half of their orbital assets in the Corporate Alliance War, and had it not been for the absolutely gargantuan size of the forces amassed by their allies, losses would have been more severe. Citizens were still distraught over the terrorist attacks of 2009 which happened as a result of the war, and the police action in Prevania, the country’s second closest neighbor, left enthusiasm for a third war effort quite diminished. The minister’s proposal was risky because it skirted the very danger of armed conflict, a likely result of exposure. Yet, for all of this, it might work. Its unconventionality was perhaps what made it the most appealing.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Xerut
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Xerut » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Libertarian Governance wrote:Politely, excusing himself from his two friends, Thomas made his way amongst the other delegations, mingling, introducing himself to each of the other delegates in turn. Thomas had a friendly youthful face and his demeanor was both inviting and disarming. He thought many of the various ideas being presented were decent steps by themselves. But Robert wanted coordinated action that spanned the military, the economic and the diplomatic sphere.

As he made his way through the assembled delegates, Thomas was somewhat drawn to the Katanozog delegates flowchart and his discussion with the Xerutian delgate. He recalled the name from his homework on the attendees. Foreign Minister Arlinda Berisha. Waiting for a pause in the discussion he introduced himself.

Good day! He said with a wide grin. Thomas McWain, I am Chief of Foreign Affairs for The Free Republic of Libertarian Governance. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Dr. Kázmér and an equal pleasure to meet the renowned Foreign Minister of Xerut.
Thomas paused a moment, expecting her to respond in her well regarded frank manner.

Governors, as the people of Libertarian Governance were known had never followed convention. How could they, this was a nation whose forefathers sailed the world in pirate fleets. Marauding on the high seas was as much about sticking it to the powers that existed at the time as it was about riches. For, theirs was a time of monarchies and tyranny, pomp and pretense and it was something that Governors despised.

thus Governors tended to use profanity when they pleased. Sure, many in government behaved with a certain level of restraint when dealing with outsiders but even the Chief Executive was not beyond telling a world leader exactly what he was facing and he had on occasion used very colorful wording to get such a point across. Children cussed, parents cussed, grandparents cussed it was just part of the free and accepting society that was LG.

Perhaps it was from the early fleets that the national hatred of slavery developed. After all, on the warships of the Nemesis Incorporated fleet crews, regardless of race, sex, religion, sexuality were judged by their actions and what they brought to the table. There had never been slavery in LG, even after the fleets developed into communities and a country the ideas of individual worth, liberty and judging individuals as individuals were etched deeply into the nations psyche and institutions. Thomas thought about his nation's ancestors and how many were either sold into slavery when captured or freed from slavery by Captain John Locke as he continued.

Minister, I believe if we are sincere in having an impact on this despicable trade that military force is a necessity. While I do agree with your ideas Dr. Kázmér and Libertarian Governance will fully support efforts to develop such a treaty. LG welcomes any liberated individual into our nation as a free individual.

Though Libertarian Governance hopes to address this issue in a comprehensive manner, we fully support using force and believe many anti-slave efforts fail because force isn't being employed. Though I believe too in diplomacy, alongside the use of force it is force that ultimately villains, cut throats and thugs understand.
Thomas smiles again to take some of the harshness out of his last statement .

We Governors are a bit straightforward at times. What I really hoped to get your opinion on is implementing a strong program of economic sanctions targeting slave states, countries that allow the purchase of slaves and nations that do business with any of those types of nations. In looking around we are filled with economic powerhouses, nations that supply the world with weapons, natural resources and other goods. It is kind of shocking that we have conducted military operations against slavers and found our soldiers facing weaponry from some of the various nations attending this event.

What would your governments say to a total severing of economic interaction between our treaty nations and slave traders, slave buyers and their supporters? Of course, I speak of such an action as but one part of a coordinated and comprehensive effort against the trade.

Arlinda Berisha graciously greeted Thomas in the typically formal manner befitting someone of her station and of his own, although it felt ironic that the Libertarian should have such gracious welcoming for the woman. She didn't know she was even considered renowned but she rolled with it. She blushed a little at the thought, though. Perhaps he had studied the changes that took place following the declaration of coming out of the closet that Miss Hollywood proclaimed on live television.

"The pleasure is mutual," Berisha replied, "and I must say that it is even more so a pleasure to be around such fine, morally upstanding delegates of the civilized world."

Civilized. The very nature of a nation Xerut had hoped to cultivate. Although Xerut could clearly be seen as civilized, in the traditional sense of the word, what was civilized had always differed in the many nations of Man that inhabited this world.

"I must say that Governor McWain here is correct in his assumption that force is a proper response to the inhumanity of mankind when it is unleashed upon others. The Xerutian government knows this principle all too well in our centuries of history as a sovereign nation. Our nation does not hold any economic or political ties to nations practicing the slave trade so the continuation of this status quo would not be a problem to our nation, I would expect. Slavery has never been tolerated within the Xerutian nation, it has always been seen as a plague upon men, even when we were sworn protectors of our ancient absolute monarchy."

Every Xerutian knew the history of their nation, no matter what their ideology had been. There had once been a monarchy under which all Xerutians served and lived. The monarchy was threatened by forces loyal to the philosophies of the French Revolution. But the British Empire saved the monarchy and forced upon them the Westminister system as compensation for the dead. The British did not want to see their traditional allies fall into French influence.

"I believe, though," Berisha said, in an almost Robespierrean tone of voice, "that we must set a definition for what a slave state truly is. I am sure that some nations represented here may accuse certain nations who practice certain ideologies to be slave states in a psychological sense rather than in the physical sense to which we are moreso accustomed. God knows we do not want to get stuck in the muck of irrationality lest our crusade be for nought. What we need are concrete definitions, not hastily made standards that will earn us nothing but contempt from those who, we'd expect, would support us. A man is, after all, a flawed creature. He'll gladly support the enslavement of his fellow man by means of not looking at it in his dealings with those who practice it when it means he'll get something good out of it. Xerut will not rule out certain...measures in dealing with such sinful wretches, Governor, and if our citizens are threatened, we cannot be blamed for the terror that is the hand of justice."
Last edited by Xerut on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:36 am, edited 7 times in total.

United States of PA
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Bidstrup had highly enjoyed his conversation so far with Minister Carter, thinking to himself that he may end up liking Minister Carter. He had already figured prior to even coming that, given the nations who had agreed to attend, and what he knew of them, this was to be a Summit to die for. Multiple nations, united under one banner, that of a unanimous disagreement to the institution that was slavery.

Even though Bidstrup had spent much time already chatting with Carter, and had grown somewhat more comfortable talking to him, this did not stop him from instantly becoming defensive at Carter’s first statement, in true Pennsylvanian Fashion. Bidstrup immediately “Shut all Bulkhead Doors” as some Naval Personnel would say.

“Mister Carter, I do not know exactly what you mean by the first statement of yours, but whatever it is, may I remind you that the Federal Republic fought alongside you, and many of the nations present here, against the Corporate Alliance, where we might’ve arrived late, but which we nonetheless assisted in the final destruction of Ironclaws fleet in the ocean before the former Paradise City(1), we assisted the Free Republic of Lamoni in their moment of most dire need, even going so far as to wipe the cur that caused that off of the face of the earth when it became clear that they did not intend to abide by the terms we set down. Neither myself, my government, my country or my country’s armed forces would take very kind to what you have said, because it could very well be taken as a slenderizing attempt against us over the fact that we realize that the Pen is not always mightier than the Sword.”

“As to your inquires and suggestions regarding the Norheim Doctrine, I am sorry to say that the Norheim Doctrine is now largely considered to be defunct (2) due to the recent downfall of the former Yanitarian Monarchy and nation. As of now, any attempt to modify Norheim will likely be met with failure, until a new Agreement can be drawn up to replace Norheim. Beside that fact, Norheim when it was used was only applicable to foreign nations entering the region with hostile intents. To quote the former Norheim Article I, it specifically says, word for word, “any signatory nation hereby acknowledges that Dienstadi problems are Dienstadi Problems, and that foreign powers, defined as originating from outside the region of Greater Dienstad, are not entitled to expand their sphere of influence into Greater Dienstad”. Norheim was developed specifically to create a unified front for dealing with foreign aggressors and nothing else. Norheim was never intended to mediate or even control Domestic Laws and it is doubtful that any attempt to modify it as such would be met with failure.”

“Instead, what would likely be far more likely to work would be something that my government has for the most part already resolved to do. In the words of Former President David Cordoba, who lead my nation from 1974 to 1988, had said in one interview on the matter “If any new nation were to pop up within Greater Dienstad that practiced Slavery, I would personally see to it to the best of my ability that we would castrate that nation for the fact, assuming of course, that it is possible to castrate a nation”. Believe me, if any nation were to show up within Greater Dienstad newfound that were to practice slavery, we would see to it that they would either cease practicing it of their own will, or we would force them to do it through weight of Arms.’

“As for your final point however, you will have to explain in detail.”

(1): I roleplay the entirety of Blackhlem confederacy and any related things such as the Griffencrest Corporation to be a puddle of Nuclear slag
(2): I use the word “Defunct” as many GD nations have expressed on our offsite forums that, due to Yanitaria disappearing ,and so forth, that we might need to discontinue the Use of Norheim and come up with a new Agreement. This would be well known to GD nations, but most definitely not Novan or Tarquinian Nations.
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The State of Monavia » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Parade ground stands

To hear that Norheim was defunct caused Carter more uneasiness than Bidstrup’s defensive posture. Carter had implied the wrong message by using words that were too unclear at first. He had to rectify his mistake immediately.

“Mr. Ambassador, my initial comment should not be construed that way,” he said rather lightly. “What I meant,” he continued in a more assertive tone, “is that some slaver states are brazen and emboldened enough to go against diplomatic threats and sanctions that do not have hard backing behind them. The ‘record’ I was referring to was the defeat of Admiral Ironclaw’s fleet, which I believe has some potential to be used as leverage, namely, by making an historical example of them. In other words, if slavers try to claim that they are not intimidated by your sanctions, you have the benefit of pointing to the Sea of Neptune and saying that they will meet a similar fate if they do not comply.”

He had done his best to smooth over a rough spot in an otherwise pleasant discussion. “As for your aid to the Lamonians, it also has much value in terms of ethical credibility. Slavers who are threatened with ‘ending up like Ironclaw’s fleet’ will try to accuse you of being some tyrant that tramples upon their ‘rights.’ Pointing to your immeasurable acts of charity to our Lamonian allies when half of their country was irradiated would place your integrity and honesty above reproach and makes it all the more easy for you to say to the slavers, ‘Who are you to judge us?’”

Carter hoped that he would not have to do any more to justify a single poorly worded sentence. Nonetheless, it seemed apropos for him to make his intention clear enough to avoid further misinterpretation. “In short, my intention has been to provide you with rhetorical ammunition to use when it comes time to sway the nations to our side in carrying out our mission.”

He had kept Bidstrup waiting for his proposal long enough. “I find the defunct status of the Norheim Doctrine to be lamentable. I was not aware its status, and you will have to forgive my deep ignorance on this issue. However, I want to offer my proposal.

“As you know, there are many traditional avenues for suppressing slavery. Electronically draining slaver accounts, economic sanctions, raiding slave ships, diplomacy, blockades, even invasion and forcible change of regime. What I have decided to do is explore all forms of alternative avenues which have previously been subject to little discussion or thought in the past. If red tape, political wrangling, random inconveniences, or even capitalizing on sheer dumb luck can save a few slaves, it is worth trying them. To this end, I think that I have found a legal solution to the problem of slavery that will provide a perfect cover for some operations that may be of otherwise questionable legality.

“I ask that you allow me to be excused for a moment so that I may have Councillor Garmash explain the solution in question. She understands it better that I do and can offer you a more satisfactory understanding of it.”

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 am

Palace of the Revolution
Tailville, DR

"You're welcome," Bieito said, watching Molly react to the Wagdian Whisky. This was already shaping up to be a very interesting conversation, and it had barely even begun.

Before Bieito could lift the receiver to make a call to President Stinson, the lights went out, and the door was opened. Into the room strode a single figure... young, lithe, female. As the lights came back on, one could notice that the woman was Asian, and attractive, if one failed to notice all of the other electronics in the room going insane. No one had been able to explain it, but electronics always went crazy when she was around. If you wanted to do so, you could call her a freak of nature. Regardless, she had been accepted into the ranks of the Lamonian Foreign Ministry.

Recognizing her at once, Bieito scrambled to make introductions. "President DeLéan, meet Miss Vardo Greene, of the Lamonian Foreign Ministry. She's the other member of the Lamonian delegation to this conference. I'm sure that you've noticed how things can go... rather differently than planned, when she is around. Hopefully, the phone will still work." With this said, Bieito lifted the receiver, and placed the call. Amazingly, it went through. Once Bieito had connected to President Stinson (this being no mean feat, with Miss Greene around), he placed the President on speakerphone, while telling him about who was in the room.

"Greetings, President DeLéan, Under-Minister Bieito, Miss Greene... I understand that there are important matters to discuss?" Secure in his underground offices beneath Government Hill in the Presidential Palace, President Stinson was still pleased to hear from the head of an allied nation. Particularly one that had helped the Free Republic through the radioactive fallout scare.
National Anthem

Animarnia
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Animarnia » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 am

"A Pleasure Miss Greene" Molly said politely seemingly withiout any distain or unomfortale attitude for the womans tallent as she firlmy but gently shook the other womans hand; Molly had seen many things since her time in office including Elves, Werewolfs, Vampires and talking mushrooms, so on Mollys 'Weird-shit-o-meter' this only ranked around a three, in fact there was an entire region of islands off the Animarnian coast which had been quranined for the last century because they were alledgadly haunted and any expediation sent had never returned thusly they were declared off limits by the navy and a No-Fly zone was set up. so to Molly; this ladys gfts were not entirely that unusual.

Molly returned to her seat while she waited for Mr Bieito to check the phone line, pleasently surprised when the call conected and the voice of President Stinson.

"Yes Mr President; A Pleasure as always, I understand we will be having our soldiers back soon?" Molly said; The Animarnian 4th and 5th Field Army's had been deployed in the wake of the nuclear inicdent which resulted in half of Lamoni needing evacuation and its subsiquent cleanup operations had been ongoing until recently. in truth it had cost Animarnia dearly to deploy to Lamoni, 4th and 5th were stripped of all but the mechanized APC, Fighting Vehicles or Motorised Infantry leaving the heavy guns behind. Over time several extra Helicopter brigades had been attached leaving some Field Armys at home without any Helicopter capibility at all. Thus it was a Logistics Monster to upkeep. Still, the Logistics Cost was nothing compared to the human cost which would have resulted had they done nothing.

"Mr President, I am sure Mr Bieito will brief you in full, but I was just saying to your under-minister that, dispite the Monovians best efforts for diplomatic solutions and these are naturally always prefered sometimes we may have to use force to achive the goals of the anti-slavery treaty. afterall, the threat of force is only effective so long as the other side knows that you are willing to use it", Molly stated.

"I belive that we should at least as an initial step consider the use of Special Forces as either a pre-cursor to broader Military action if required, or as a means in of itself to end slavery in a nation via a freed slave Insurgancy", Molly added; "One of the Katonazag deligates, Doctor Kázmér (*1) has alsoe come up with a rather intresting proposal for what to do with freed slaves once they have indeed been returned to liberty" Molly finished.

OOC:
*1 - I use "Katozag" IC to refer to both the HCSK and Krommindy in this instance as a whole, just to be clear

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents