NATION

PASSWORD

Southern Economic and Cultural Union (FT; Semi-open)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Amazonian Beasts
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Amazonian Beasts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:04 pm

Malgus himself decided to handle Marakova's question. After all, his superior, Sadow, had been the one with the vision...and as he was the Republic "representative" of sorts to handle matters, why not see if some simple persuasion could win over an interested but cautiously optimistic foreign party? After all, trade and the spread of culture only helped every party that took place in the union, and the more parties...the better for every member.

"Authority?" the Amazonian responded in question. "This union is not to recognize any central authority on the matters of culture, economics, and the arts. While a 'glorified cultural exchange' is too liberal a term, we look not for rules and straight lines, but the access to safe trade, the mingling of political ideals, the spread of cultures to and from, and the social development of all societies involved. Rules need not be set in stone, but implied - a military alliance this is not."

"However," Malgus solidified his point. "That is not to say that taking advantage of the system for gain at another's expense will slip under the radar...and the union as a whole may act in its parts or come together to decide how to carry out matters. There is no need for any formal body when informal proceedings may enact the same judgments."

The Republic Lord wanted to make his point clear - he had no intention of any strict body such as many of the alliances lacing the galaxy today. Rather, the union would work at its best if it functioned not as a collection of bodies, but as a body itself - with all the unwritten guidelines and mannerisms in veiled sight.
http://wearesanctum.wordpress.com/ - Follow New Azura, Storm Gard, and myself amongst others as we talk about random stuff, from sports to comedy.

Hurricanes/Trojans/Wildcats; Jaguars/Spurs/Dodgers/Avalanche/Ravens

Kilrany
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2005
Corporate Police State

Postby Kilrany » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Raising a curious eyebrow as Malgus spoke, Marakova remained quiet until he finished, pausing even then for another moment before speaking in a low and even tone that was devoid of any hint that she even thought of being sarcastic of condescending, “I must commend you and our host on such excellently skilled wordplay, it has been quite some time since I’ve heard anyone speak for so long with such eloquence and apparent conviction, yet lace it with such contradiction and scorn for others; though it is perhaps our host who is most guilty of the latter.”

Pausing again just long enough as though to take a breath, she then continued, “You ask us to join this union you claim is not an alliance, yet by your own account it would still retains all the familiar trappings of one. Except of course, instead of clear protocols or at the very least plainly stated guidelines for resolving potential disputes, you would have us work ‘informally,’ leaving it to the back room politicking that has a habit of playing to self-serving parties, while lacking any true accountability.”

Once more she paused, shrugging ever so slightly while just barely moving her gloved hands out to the sides for a moment to add a little emphasis before continuing, her tone still unchanged, “If I have merely misinterpreted your words however, then perhaps you should stop dancing around the subject and speak plainly how exactly it is you expect to achieve this beyond your vague suggestions, for thus far the only thing you have been clear upon, is your desire for the free flow of trade and culture.”
English is a language which chases other languages down foetid alleyways, pummels them unconscious, and rifles their belongings for vocabulary. - Russkya
(MT) The Kilrany Empire - Emperor Ivan Semyonovich Sviatov
(FT) The Kilrany - The Quinquevirate (Council of five)
Demonym: No alternate, Kilrany is the catch all term
Pronunciation: Kill-Raa-nee
General Purpose Kilrany FT OOC Thread

Derscon
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:58 pm

"I believe that the primary difference between most Southern and Northern civilizations," Tarakh retorted, his tone matching Marakova's. "is that we do not need a powerful central coercive authority to force cooperation. Perhaps you have immersed yourself for too long in the company of tyrants and warmongers. Amaranthine membership in Hermes certainly would have colored our perception of civilized interaction had we not had a much longer history of free enterprise and free interaction.

"We have looked upon the failures of organizations such as the the ESUS and the Galactic Assembly and taken our lessons from them. However, we will not color this organization with the failures of Hermes or IRON in order to make up for them. It is only rational that peaceful cooperation on all levels is beneficial to all those involved. This Union is designed merely to streamline and facilitate such interaction, providing a host for diplomatic and trade deals, perhaps, as the delegate from the Democratic Colonies suggested, a Union-wide student exchange program, or something else that neither the Imperium nor the Republic have thought of, but another prospective member suggests." He paused to simulate a breath and addressed her final point.

"Stemming from a culture that does not necessarily embrace free enterprise and free markets, I can understand why would be hesitant to accept our occasional vagueness. However, we feel it is important not to dictate from the top-down every facet of interaction amongst member states. If so, we would suppress the free flow of capital, culture, and information. This Union's primary focus is to facilitate, not dictate. It is odd that, for all of the complaints against the Jannarii's tactics of diplomacy at meetings, you now criticize us for not doing precisely what you condemned in the Galactic Assembly."
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Kilrany
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Kilrany » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:59 pm

A calm and vaguely interested expression fell upon Marakova's face as Tarakh spoke, but when he finished she merely shook her head slowly as though she were disappointed. Next to her, Novikov had since fallen back on a mask of neutrality, lacking anything he felt useful to add as the political game elsewhere was not going well in light of everything here so far.

After a moment Marakova returned her gaze to Tarakh and replied, "Strange I do not recall suggesting the need for any central authority, or any body to 'coerce' anyone. I would ask specifically what is it that truly sets this proposed union apart, as in one breath you speak of a lack of so called oppressive regulations and authority over others, then comment in the next about how the union may impose action, without explanation how this will be done in a fair and transparent manner."

Her self-assured smile returned then as she added, "I would also expect better of you then to try and carelessly deflect questions about the perceived flaws in your proposal with the notion that it is either all or nothing, as though the very concept of having some agreed upon, plainly clear guidelines are tantamount to some sort of dictatorship."
English is a language which chases other languages down foetid alleyways, pummels them unconscious, and rifles their belongings for vocabulary. - Russkya

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Tarakh understood what Marakova was doing. Marakova was either deliberately ignorant, or completely understanding and then deliberately interpreting his comments in an aggressive manner due to her agenda to sabotage the situation. Of course, this revelation would never be broadcast, but instead the Grand Prince had a slightly puzzled look on his face, turning into an 'a-ha' expression with a slight chuckle for accompaniment. "Oh no, you misunderstand us. If we wanted to simply impose a treaty without discussion, then we would simply send everyone a copy and have them mail-order return their signatures. Generally speaking, councils form to discuss matters. We do not claim to know the specific strengths and weaknesses of each individual civilization, and thus we have not crafted any specifics to present to you." The Grand Prince shrugged, calculating that he would likely get nowhere with her. Fuck it, I'll have to apologize to Shavar later.

"Of course, your next comment will be another derision along the lines of 'so you have no agenda at all' or something; a deliberate twist of the information I presented to you in order to further your isolationist agenda, further cutting your civilization off from the rest of the galaxy and, in a spiteful and childish maneuver, attempt to do the same to the rest of us. You act as if you are merely programmed to be an obstructionist in the face of any international cooperation. Nothing I say will appease you. I really wish you would just be honest about that, sit down, and potentially let Novikov share his thoughts, or allow the nations that might actually give a damn about international cooperation have their say."
Last edited by Derscon on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Kilrany
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Kilrany » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:37 pm

Rather then once again rely purely upon a calm and vaguely interested expression as the Grand Prince responded, this time Marakova allowed herself to appear mildly amused as well by the accusations he made against her. It would thus be left to anybody’s guess whether this was or wasn’t a genuine display, intended perhaps to convey on to others that she thought he was grasping at straws, or even something else entirely.

Upon his comment to ‘sit down’ however, she raised a curious eyebrow and looked slightly confused by tilting her head ever so slightly to the side before glancing downward at the seat she still sat leaning back in. When she returned her gaze to Tarakh after the barest hint of a pause, her expression then seemed to silently ask about the quality of his eyesight for a moment before she shrugged nonchalantly, “What low regard you must hold me in to think I would consider such thing possible or necessary, as if I thought I had such influence among those here that a mere few questions could hold so much sway and bring about such an extreme result if I tried. No matter I suppose, I have said my peace for the moment, if another wishes to speak I’m certainly not stopping them.”

Captain Franky Cook
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Captain Franky Cook » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm

[[[Tag, I'll get a post up tomorrow.]]]
Captain Francesca "Franky" Cook

Jul 29, 2010 - May 30, 2011

And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell,
"Another Marine reporting, Sir,
I've served my time in Hell!"

Cyber Utopia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyber Utopia » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:19 am

Dave had been silently formulating a response to the suggestions that had been put forward, running a specially designed program that would produce the most diplomatic reply possible. His processor hummed as a jigsaw of information shuffled around. There was no doubt the Network would benefit from having more allies, especially trading partners. As for the cultural side, however, there seemed to be little benefit for the Network. The foreign delegates spoke of student exchanges, something that would be difficult for Dave's nation since the education system was abolished.

Once the program had finished running, the android rose smoothly to address the other delegates. He raised his hand to introduce himself.

"Dave XIII, representative of The Network of Cyber Utopia. My nation will be unknown to most of you, we have little interaction with the wider galaxy outside of the JSA. However, this proposal seems to be the ideal opportunity to change our isolation. This is an excellent chance for new friendships to flourish throughout the galactic south. One can never have too many allies in this cold, harsh expanse of space, as has already been outlined by the delegate for the Amazonian Republic.
If the proposed Union is purely for economic and cultural benefit, and does not exist to act as a regulatory body, then there would be nothing to lose in joining it. It would seem foolish not to take advantage of the benefits offered up by this proposal. While The Network has little to offer in the way of cultural exchange, we would embrace a chance to gain new trade partners. The Union would also no doubt lead to citizens from member nations migrating, and the Network is more than happy to accomodate incomers. Indeed, we rely on immigrants to build up our population.
No doubt the ideas behind this Union will change as the conference goes on and other nations contribute to the discussion, but the proposal so far is something that The Network would be very interested in being a part of."

With that, Dave sat down. He was no master of speeches, and had little in the way of charisma, but when it came to The Network's interests he got the job done. That's what he was programmed for, after all.
Last edited by Cyber Utopia on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity."

Feazanthia wrote:Remember - every time you chuck an asteroid at a planet, Bruce Willis gets a sappy self-sacrifice scene in a shitty movie.

Last edited by Jenrak on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the spelling error in the title; you can thank me later.

Trailers
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Trailers » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 am

OOC: Deja vu.
Lay coins upon our brows, sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
Drape our bloodied banner upon the funeral pyre
And tell our sons we died Hellenic soldiers, with our faces to the fire

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:24 pm

"Trade is, of course, the primary focus of this conference," Tarakh responded, nodding to Dave XIII. "As an ancient Terran economist once mentioned, 'if goods don't cross borders, soldiers will.' However, an exchange of cultural and educational values and knowledge are also essential for a full cooperation to spring forth prosperity and peace for all. It is within our agenda to construct an international educational academy here in this complex for students of any nation within the Union, to be staffed by educators and professors from within the Union. It is our hope this would be a focal point for a student exchange program as proposed by Secretary Jaeger of the Democratic Colonies. This greater educational unity, broadening the horizons of all civilizations involved, will bring only greater trade and prosperity for all involved, and with a greater understanding and appreciation, stabilize our relationships and further cement the peace of the South."
Last edited by Derscon on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

瞞天過海

Red Talons
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 12, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Red Talons » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Isahil raised his hand a moment before speaking so as to draw the others attention to him. "In the way of trade, my people operate a trade station in each corner of the galaxy. These could be used to facilitate trade, either acting as a transfer hub or neutral ground for other nations to conduct business." He paused for a breath before he continued. "Also, with the two stations we posses in former IRON territory, we could facilitate galaxy wide trade. Hopefully allowing southern goods to find northern buyers and vice-versa. I personally know that a few of the northern 'barbarian' nations are only aggressive due to a lack of sufficient trade goods of their own and no one close enough willing to trade."

Isahil's ear twitched slightly as he thought for a moment. "Should this conference lead to the goals you have outlined, even in the short term, our people could construct and deploy a number of other trade stations in the southern territory. Hopefully with the support of those present, so that there may be a series of network hub's, lessening the logistics strain of the increased trade from those involved while still allowing all to benefit from such trade." He sighed slightly. "This offer is admittedly made with a modicum of self serving intent. The reason is that my people have been growing restless these past few decades. Warriors and Tradesmen by tradition, there has been scarce few trade opportunities and scarcer few military operations. It is my own hope that this will be a chance for my people to steer away from becoming another barbarian nation out of pent up energy." Isahil leaned back in his chair slightly, gesturing with a wave of his open hand that he was done for the moment.
This is my factbook(perpetually under construction)
Because I advocate more space-magic, Laws For Magic.
A 4.2 civilization, according to this index.
---
Defense Status
{Green}--{Orange}--|{Blue}|--{Red}--{Black}
---
Universal peace is an archaic concept.
It is like taking a handful of sand,
and expecting none of it to slip through your fingers...

=Isahil Traekith=
---
Fear is a basic emotion...
What frightens you more, the evil that you know?...
...Or the evil that you don't...
When you light a candle,
you also cast a shadow...
=[Data Redacted]=

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Tarakh nodded at Isahil, acknowledging him. "We would welcome Talonian assistance in this endeavor, and thank them for their offer. The Amaranthine Imperium would be willing to aid in the construction of joint trade stations for the Union and otherwise within the Southern half of the galaxy."

瞞天過海

Red Talons
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 12, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Red Talons » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:55 am

Isahil smiled a bit. "It would be appreciated. Our construction facilities aren't designed for completing such endeavors in a short span of time." He looked around at the other representatives. "My only concern is that if my people put forward our effort that we wont be alone in our endeavor."
This is my factbook(perpetually under construction)
Because I advocate more space-magic, Laws For Magic.
A 4.2 civilization, according to this index.
---
Defense Status
{Green}--{Orange}--|{Blue}|--{Red}--{Black}
---
Universal peace is an archaic concept.
It is like taking a handful of sand,
and expecting none of it to slip through your fingers...

=Isahil Traekith=
---
Fear is a basic emotion...
What frightens you more, the evil that you know?...
...Or the evil that you don't...
When you light a candle,
you also cast a shadow...
=[Data Redacted]=

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents