NATION

PASSWORD

Troop Size (PLEASE READ)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Libertarian Governance
Senator

Founded: Oct 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Governance » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:04 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Including ships and planes, your ratio of personnel to vehicles is roughly 10 to 1. You would not even have enough people to man all of those vehicles, let alone maintain them. As to how many more personnel you need, I am not the best person to ask (try Questers or someone), but I am thinking well over 20 million total personnel.

It approximates the American ratio of personnel to equipment being 1,445,000 soldiers to 365,126 vehicles which is a ratio of 3.96 soldiers to each vehicle. Why can America maintain theirs but I could not maintain mine?
Stand up, it's time to rise. It's time for revenge, opposition must die
Chaos, violence, revolution now! - GG Allin

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:14 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:
Minnysota wrote:I know this topic was a few pages back, but I just got an issue that wanted to ban door-to-door salesmen. I voted to INCREASE solicitors and guess what? My economy went from Good, to Strong. BTW, this was at Grand Catalonia, cause they have those anti-business policies.

GC got underageb&. He was 10 years old or something like that.
This is a great new policy. Hopefully there will be plentiful bans in the coming months.

Anyway, re: LG, I think that a lot of those equipment figures are probably what the US holds in reserve as opposed to what it actually uses in the field. There are likely warehouses full of trucks for instance that aren't being used by field formations and aren't likely to be in the future. You should probably have fewer tanks, IMO. However, that is a very reasonable order of battle, more so than most NS nations anyway.

Also, none of that is sourced.
Last edited by Questers on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restore the Crown

Kaputer
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kaputer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Ya I could tell GC was a youngin.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
War can't give life, it can only take it away.
Former Capitalist Paradise Delegate

Libertarian Governance
Senator

Founded: Oct 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Governance » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Questers wrote:Anyway, re: LG, I think that a lot of those equipment figures are probably what the US holds in reserve as opposed to what it actually uses in the field. There are likely warehouses full of trucks for instance that aren't being used by field formations and aren't likely to be in the future. You should probably have fewer tanks, IMO. However, that is a very reasonable order of battle, more so than most NS nations anyway.

Also, none of that is sourced.

What the weapon numbers? Idk how accurate they are they are from Wikipedia and finding accurate numbers is sort of hard. They seem close and I did check numbers from the CIA factbook and a few other places on the USA and some other countries like Russia and Israel.

Anyway, the tanks are higher with 4 times the US numbers being about 36,000. So, I don't mind dropping that.

Thank you guys for assistance. I sort of thought some of that equipment would belong to reserve. In fact, the ships identified as merchant marine are actually manned by civilians.

How many troops would you say I would need to field such equipment? Could it be done with say 10,000,000 troops? How about 8,000,000? I would like to keep my personnel at or under the 1% mark.
Last edited by Libertarian Governance on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stand up, it's time to rise. It's time for revenge, opposition must die
Chaos, violence, revolution now! - GG Allin

Sebastianalandia
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianalandia » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:34 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
Sebastianalandia wrote:I'd like to get you guys' opinions on what would make a good/realistic navy for me. The conditions:

-It is a fleet geared mostly towards submarine warfare, with a slightly lesser focus on pocket battleships. Cruiser/destroyer/frigate numbers also relatively high.
-There is only one carrier. One, and one only.
-There MUST be at least two Typhoon-class submarines (I've bought them and they're my navy's pride, so they must be included)
-The navy is in the middle when it comes to funding, with the army better funded and the air force less well funded.

Other than that, feel free to offer suggestions as to realistic naval forces for my nation. I want to make sure I RP realistically.

Look up the Soviet navy, increase the numbers to fit your navy, and toss in a few pocket battleships (I see absolutely no use for pocket battleships).

Thanks. I double-checked my facts on pocket battleships, and found I was 80 years behind the times.

So, the USSR had what, 200 million people? I have two and a half billion, so I should take the statistics for the Red Navy, multiply it by 15, then maybe tweak the numbers in order to prioritize certain areas (notably submarines)?
Soldaten, Kameraden, kämpft alle für Euer Vaterland und die ruhmreiche Revolution, die es verkörpert!
Milites, Amici, decertate pro patria revolutioque pro qua designat!
Cuauhtin, icniuh mochinti, yaotihua moca amointlal ihuan ic mahuizauhqui hualmocuepa ihcac!
Saighdiúirí, Chomrádaithe, troid do dó thír agus an réabhlóid ghlórmhar a léiríonn sé!
Cabinet:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16692&p=1322181#p1322181

COMINTERN, Worker's Pact, Serovskaya Pact, Observer of the SEC, COMCON

The Steel Fraternity wrote:Godless, infanticidal Communists, and avowed enemies of freedom and democracy.

Napalm would be less efficient than nuclear weapons, but much more satisfying.

Sagatagan wrote:[T]hese Leninist dogs ought to be beheaded!

Kaputer
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kaputer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:36 pm

The Kirov is a battle cruiser and is a nice design.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
War can't give life, it can only take it away.
Former Capitalist Paradise Delegate

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Sebastianalandia wrote:
Sebastianalandia wrote:I'd like to get you guys' opinions on what would make a good/realistic navy for me. The conditions:

-It is a fleet geared mostly towards submarine warfare, with a slightly lesser focus on pocket battleships. Cruiser/destroyer/frigate numbers also relatively high.
-There MUST be at least two Typhoon-class submarines (I've bought them and they're my navy's pride, so they must be included)
-The navy is in the middle when it comes to funding, with the army better funded and the air force less well funded.

Other than that, feel free to offer suggestions as to realistic naval forces for my nation. I want to make sure I RP realistically.

Look up the Soviet navy, increase the numbers to fit your navy, and toss in a few pocket battleships (I see absolutely no use for pocket battleships).

Thanks. I double-checked my facts on pocket battleships, and found I was 80 years behind the times.

So, the USSR had what, 200 million people? I have two and a half billion, so I should take the statistics for the Red Navy, multiply it by 15, then maybe tweak the numbers in order to prioritize certain areas (notably submarines)?

The Soviet navy was already rather submarine based, but you should probably downsize the total number of ships considering that the Soviet Union's navy wasn't made up of all first rate ships. Also much of the Soviet navy is based on SSBNs, so unless you want to start a nuclear war it might not be a perfect frame, but it is the only real choice you have except for WW2 Germany, which is designed for the 1940s.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:48 pm

There's only really one or two naval doctrines worth bothering with in NS. A submarine fleet if your navy is purely defensive, and a carrier based fleet if you want to project power.

10 million troops, LG? sure. 8 million, maybe at a push, 9 probably comfortably.
Last edited by Questers on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Sebastianalandia
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianalandia » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Sebastianalandia wrote:

The Soviet navy was already rather submarine based, but you should probably downsize the total number of ships considering that the Soviet Union's navy wasn't made up of all first rate ships. Also much of the Soviet navy is based on SSBNs, so unless you want to start a nuclear war it might not be a perfect frame, but it is the only real choice you have except for WW2 Germany, which is designed for the 1940s.

Thanks for the help. I shall bear this in mind.

Questers wrote:There's only really one or two naval doctrines worth bothering with in NS. A submarine fleet if your navy is purely defensive, and a carrier based fleet if you want to project power.

Yea, my fleet's mostly a defend-the-coast-while-cutting-off-their-trade-on-the-side type navy. We've never been big on massive power projection (we only project power when we need to clear the way for amphibious landings).
Soldaten, Kameraden, kämpft alle für Euer Vaterland und die ruhmreiche Revolution, die es verkörpert!
Milites, Amici, decertate pro patria revolutioque pro qua designat!
Cuauhtin, icniuh mochinti, yaotihua moca amointlal ihuan ic mahuizauhqui hualmocuepa ihcac!
Saighdiúirí, Chomrádaithe, troid do dó thír agus an réabhlóid ghlórmhar a léiríonn sé!
Cabinet:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16692&p=1322181#p1322181

COMINTERN, Worker's Pact, Serovskaya Pact, Observer of the SEC, COMCON

The Steel Fraternity wrote:Godless, infanticidal Communists, and avowed enemies of freedom and democracy.

Napalm would be less efficient than nuclear weapons, but much more satisfying.

Sagatagan wrote:[T]hese Leninist dogs ought to be beheaded!

Monahtan
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Monahtan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:43 pm

Sebastianalandia wrote:
Sebastianalandia wrote:

Thanks for the help. I shall bear this in mind.

Questers wrote:There's only really one or two naval doctrines worth bothering with in NS. A submarine fleet if your navy is purely defensive, and a carrier based fleet if you want to project power.

Yea, my fleet's mostly a defend-the-coast-while-cutting-off-their-trade-on-the-side type navy. We've never been big on massive power projection (we only project power when we need to clear the way for amphibious landings).

You have a bigger population than me and I only operate 12 carriers. As I said before, I went through and laid out EXACTLY how many of each unit and personnel I have in my military (based mostly on current era Russian Federation tech). If you want them, I can email them to you. It lays out personnel numbers, salaries, unit costs, stuff like that. Then I went back and used the surplus to account for the bulk of the logistics potion, being sure to leave more than enough funds to cover it.

EDIT: Bearing in mind the carriers I use are not super-carriers like the United States Navy uses.
Last edited by Monahtan on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Andaricus
Envoy

Founded: Apr 03, 2010
Anarchy

Postby Andaricus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:03 am

The Grand World Order wrote:
Andaricus wrote:Ok, I get it, obviously I'm not being as convincing as I thought I'd be. However I'll just say this now the actually numbers themselves are going to look unconvincing.

10 Million Ground Force Soldiers Active Duty
10 Million Ground Force Soldiers Reserves

120,000 Vehicles
25,000 Tanks
60,000 Artillery Placements
25,000 Walkers

10 Million Sky Force Soldiers Active Duty
10 Million Sky Force Soldiers Reserves

10,000 Fighters
10,000 Small Gunship’s
2,000 Large Gunship’s
300 Command Ships

10 Million Sea Force Soldiers Active Duty
10 Million Sea Force Soldiers Reserves

60,000 Million Smaller Case Aquatic Vehicle
400 Carrier Dreadnoughts
400 Major Submarines

And yes Andaricus can have 60 Million in it's Military. With a Population of 407 Million it's not that hard, especially if only 30 Million of them are active duty.

60,000 million... you've got to be kidding me. 60 billion boats, yes, because ANYONE out there has the population to support it.

Here's a quick way to figure out your maximum military size (keep in mind, your military would have shitty equipment in this case):

407,000,000 / 20

Now, Windows comes with a handy-dandy calculator feature, so you don't have to spend the time doing rather simple division.

You see, 20 goes into 100 five times (100/5=20), which also means, five goes into 100 twenty times (100/20=5); five is 5% of 100, so thus, dividing anything by 20 gives you 5% of the original number, or, in algebraic terms, X / 20 = Y, Y = 5% of X.

So, 5% of 407,000,000 is...

20,350,000. Quite a long shot from 60 million, I'd say.

To have a military of 60 million, you would have to have...
60,000,000 x 20 = 1,200,000,000

That's right, 1.2 billion people.

Sorry that was a typo I meant 60,000. Although I would think that someone would be able pick up on that being a typo.

Spectare
Envoy

Founded: Jul 09, 2007
Corporate Police State

Postby Spectare » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:04 am

Personnel Available for Military Service
Total Population: 5,400,000,000
Population Available: 300,000,000
Fit for Military Service: 2,160,000,000
Reaching Military Age Annually: 13,500,000
SDF Military Personnel: 270,000,000
Home Guard Militia: 1,000,000,000
National Police Force: 65,000,000
Military Ground Units:
Katana MBT: 620,000
Panther MICV: 620,000
Lynx IFV: 250,000
Cougar Jeeps: 1,300,000
Warhammer SPH: 620,000
Sickle SP ADG: 300,000
Spartan SP MLRS: 300,000
Mars SP SAMS Battery: 80,000
Military Naval Units:
Carrier CVN: 650
Cruiser CGN: 1400
Destroyers DDG: 1400
Littoral Combat Ships: 3000
Attack Submarines: 3000
Missile Submarines: 650
Amphibious Assault: 3000
Fast Combat Support Ship: 10,000
Merchant marine: 285
Military Air Units:
Ah-3 Archangel: 130,000
UH-5 Wwyvn: 250,000
C-7 Titan VSTOL: 70,000
C-9 Atlas: 15,000
Jinn II UCAV: 30,000
Chimera ATF: 150,000
Valkyrie IDS: 25,000
B-1 Stormshadow: 3500

My pop is around 6.2b now.
Defense budget is just below 80T now.
Last edited by Spectare on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lackadaisical2 wrote:w/e nigga.

The Empire of Spectare Factbook

Defcon Level: 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
Defcon 2 - Preparing troops for deployment, war is on the horizon. Still possibility of diplomacy.

Itinerate Tree Dweller
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Itinerate Tree Dweller » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:22 am

My military information is located here.
The Illustrious Empire of the United Romans and the Commonwealth Territories (PMT)
Emperor Regulus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Tiberius Serius Primulus - Foreign Secretary Jeffery Kandel
Factbook - Military - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry - NS Economy Page - The United Reddit Nations
Serius Industries - News Feed - NS Tracker Page - National Website - Player Info - CAPINTERN
Emperor Primus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Cassius Serius Sirius - Foreign Secretary Matthew Stonewall
Factbook - Fleet - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry

Jolt Veteran +2,228 posts - Oderint dum metuant - Current Status: Peace
Max Berries are part of a balanced breakfast.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents