NATION

PASSWORD

OOC: Things to do in Caracasus before you die (MT/PMT/Dip)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Significance
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Significance » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:28 am

My post is up. Crisis diverted. I think I know what path to go down now.

About elephants, Significance could construct an artificial habitat for the elephants. This is PMT if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I'll make a news post so tek would be able to request one, it's up to tek.

But I think my next post will definitely set the scene for the meeting, then you'll be able to start sending delegates.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 am

Asian elephants have historically been found in regions with a temperate-subtropical climate, such as the lower Himalayas and up along the Chinese coast to around what is now Shanghai.

Now I'm not sure if you are playing as Romania, or a Romanian-like state; but plausibly there is some warmer Mediterranean climate in the coastal regions of IRL Romania that could hypothetically support a small population of elephants.

Are you planning on using IRL species or closely related NS species?
Last edited by Inyourfaceistan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 am

Caracasus wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:I'd imagine wolves would catch the occasional really old or young elephant by separating them from the herd and running them into exhaustion..
Rare, yea. Probably more rare than what the lions get, but it's a thought. :P

I think I'm going to pursue this Elephant initiative.
There's a good few benefits regarding such.

It also helps preserve elephant numbers world wide, in the case Flauc & Caracasus nuke each other into dust. :?

I'm just trying to think how it will effect the current ecosystems.. So if anyone can help me there, it would be greatly appreciated.

They're more likely to pick off stragglers, or scavenge the occasional elephant that dies. Okay - elephants are what is known as a keystone species. This means they have a really very significant effect on their environment. I'm unsure (and frankly I sincerely doubt anyone really knows) what the effect would be. They're huge herbivores that eat an awful lot - they're vital in spreading seeds in the places in Asia that still have them... in Uganda they had problems because the population grew rather large. About the only threat to elephants is man.

In India, some breweries have been attacked by elephants because they quite like the taste of beer. They can also damage large amounts of land. Given they're bloody massive, it's hard to get them to stop doing so - bee fences work well in some areas because elephants don't really like bees. Other places use fireworks to scare them off.

Of course, this isn't realistic - it wouldn't be but you'd also have to consider habitat. Are there plants that elephants would be able to eat there?

Aye, I have gathered as much.
Elephants actually used to be in Europe and is why I am considering this to begin with, so there is some stuff to go off of.

The idea is to re-introduce them as grazers alongside all the other species that are currently being re-introduced, such as bison, wild horses, and wild cattle. These animals are actually essential in ecosystems all across Romania, as they allow the divergence between grassland/prairie, forests, and other types of ecosystems. This increases biodiversity and health of these ecosystems.

Tekeristan's agriculture scene as of now is an interesting place and will only become more interesting once Victor comes into power.
Right now, vast sections of Tekeristan becoming abandoned as young people move to the cities rather than continue life on the farms. At the same time, the domestic market is serving the remaining farmers well.

So what we are seeing, and will be seeing more of, is a rapidly shifting front of agriculture. Farm communities, as they grow smaller in many places, are going to be condensed to form small villages with surrounding fields - rather than scattered homes all along the countryside. So we can expect even larger areas to become 'wild' than before.

This is all happening because of the focus on density-development, the shifting trend of population, as well for various other reasons - such as to maintain smaller amounts of infrastructure, environmentalism, and to shift people away from subsidence agriculture to instead allow them to better sell their goods on the markets. More eco-friendly, easier to manage (cheaper), and helps the economy a bit more for these settlements.

Victor promises to further assist farmers and villages. He has some rather large environmental plans for Tekeristan, and there are a few reasons behind them. Not only to protect Tekeristan's environment, but also because of the recent economic turmoil making certain materials more costly. He wants to make Tekeristan a 'waste free' nation with recycling initiatives - perhaps to the point of importing garbage from other nations (which Teker can get small amounts of money for doing, win win) to recycle and burn for power if needed. The recycled materials being used in the domestic markets.

He also plans to introduce large reform on literal waste by increasing the use of human bio-solids (and liquids) in agriculture in order to restore the mineral/nutrient cycle (And slashing the need to import fertilizers, preserves domestic deposits) as well as supporting use of animal manure.. So the farmers can expect better fertilizer for cheaper costs. Bio-solids can also be burned for power, huh. So expect toilets with 2 options in the future (#1 & #2).

Immigration touches on this sort of stuff, but I'm off topic as it is.
It is likely that the elephants would have more than enough to eat - at least during the months that aren't winter (Probably what will control the populations. :P ) But they will also have a place in the ecosystem, at least in theory. I suppose this is what the initiative will review in its studies.
All in all, we will be seeing genetically modified elephants.

*EDIT - responses to above

Signif: Elephant samples would be appreciated. Goal is about 50, enough for short-term genetic stability on its own. African forest elephants would be best, but asian also works.

Inyourface: IRL Romania/Moldova at the moment. But this will be a fictional species in the end, however done so by mixing various IRL species of elephants with careful breeding, trial and error, and observation/study.
Last edited by Tekeristan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:13 am

Tekeristan wrote:Inyourface: IRL Romania/Moldova at the moment. But this will be a fictional species in the end, however done so by mixing various IRL species of elephants with careful breeding, trial and error, and observation/study.

If you're monitoring them then they should be fine, especially if you are trying to breed them for cold(er) weather.

Just keep in mind breeding elephants would be a project centuries in the making...

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:14 am

Inyourfaceistan wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:Inyourface: IRL Romania/Moldova at the moment. But this will be a fictional species in the end, however done so by mixing various IRL species of elephants with careful breeding, trial and error, and observation/study.

If you're monitoring them then they should be fine, especially if you are trying to breed them for cold(er) weather.

Just keep in mind breeding elephants would be a project centuries in the making...

CRISPR and other gene-editing is the hand-waving I think I'm going to use on this project, rather than outright breeding.

Significance
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Significance » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:16 am

Tekeristan wrote:
Caracasus wrote:
They're more likely to pick off stragglers, or scavenge the occasional elephant that dies. Okay - elephants are what is known as a keystone species. This means they have a really very significant effect on their environment. I'm unsure (and frankly I sincerely doubt anyone really knows) what the effect would be. They're huge herbivores that eat an awful lot - they're vital in spreading seeds in the places in Asia that still have them... in Uganda they had problems because the population grew rather large. About the only threat to elephants is man.

In India, some breweries have been attacked by elephants because they quite like the taste of beer. They can also damage large amounts of land. Given they're bloody massive, it's hard to get them to stop doing so - bee fences work well in some areas because elephants don't really like bees. Other places use fireworks to scare them off.

Of course, this isn't realistic - it wouldn't be but you'd also have to consider habitat. Are there plants that elephants would be able to eat there?

Aye, I have gathered as much.
Elephants actually used to be in Europe and is why I am considering this to begin with, so there is some stuff to go off of.

The idea is to re-introduce them as grazers alongside all the other species that are currently being re-introduced, such as bison, wild horses, and wild cattle. These animals are actually essential in ecosystems all across Romania, as they allow the divergence between grassland/prairie, forests, and other types of ecosystems. This increases biodiversity and health of these ecosystems.

Tekeristan's agriculture scene as of now is an interesting place and will only become more interesting once Victor comes into power.
Right now, vast sections of Tekeristan becoming abandoned as young people move to the cities rather than continue life on the farms. At the same time, the domestic market is serving the remaining farmers well.

So what we are seeing, and will be seeing more of, is a rapidly shifting front of agriculture. Farm communities, as they grow smaller in many places, are going to be condensed to form small villages with surrounding fields - rather than scattered homes all along the countryside. So we can expect even larger areas to become 'wild' than before.

This is all happening because of the focus on density-development, the shifting trend of population, as well for various other reasons - such as to maintain smaller amounts of infrastructure, environmentalism, and to shift people away from subsidence agriculture to instead allow them to better sell their goods on the markets. More eco-friendly, easier to manage (cheaper), and helps the economy a bit more for these settlements.

Victor promises to further assist farmers and villages. He has some rather large environmental plans for Tekeristan, and there are a few reasons behind them. Not only to protect Tekeristan's environment, but also because of the recent economic turmoil making certain materials more costly. He wants to make Tekeristan a 'waste free' nation with recycling initiatives - perhaps to the point of importing garbage from other nations (which Teker can get small amounts of money for doing, win win) to recycle and burn for power if needed. The recycled materials being used in the domestic markets.

He also plans to introduce large reform on literal waste by increasing the use of human bio-solids (and liquids) in agriculture in order to restore the mineral/nutrient cycle (And slashing the need to import fertilizers, preserves domestic deposits) as well as supporting use of animal manure.. So the farmers can expect better fertilizer for cheaper costs. Bio-solids can also be burned for power, huh. So expect toilets with 2 options in the future (#1 & #2).

Immigration touches on this sort of stuff, but I'm off topic as it is.
It is likely that the elephants would have more than enough to eat - at least during the months that aren't winter (Probably what will control the populations. :P ) But they will also have a place in the ecosystem, at least in theory. I suppose this is what the initiative will review in its studies.
All in all, we will be seeing genetically modified elephants.

*EDIT - responses to above

Signif: Elephant samples would be appreciated. Goal is about 50, enough for short-term genetic stability on its own. African forest elephants would be best, but asian also works.

Inyourface: IRL Romania/Moldova at the moment. But this will be a fictional species in the end, however done so by mixing various IRL species of elephants with careful breeding, trial and error, and observation/study.

Ah I see. So it's not so much getting elephants from elsewhere but making your own. Significance is renowned for genetic engineering, due to the harsh landscape (like the American west/mid-west), so knowing this you could write a letter, and we could send scientists over to analyse current species. We would then use this DNA from those species to engineer a breed of elephant so survive similar environments. Any other DNA you want to include could be sent to us too. Of course unlike what's going on in Watersville this wouldn't be free, but I'm sure we can arrange a reasonable price.

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:21 am

Significance wrote:Ah I see. So it's not so much getting elephants from elsewhere but making your own. Significance is renowned for genetic engineering, due to the harsh landscape (like the American west/mid-west), so knowing this you could write a letter, and we could send scientists over to analyse current species. We would then use this DNA from those species to engineer a breed of elephant so survive similar environments. Any other DNA you want to include could be sent to us too. Of course unlike what's going on in Watersville this wouldn't be free, but I'm sure we can arrange a reasonable price.

It is mixing a bit to create a subspecies of elephants, yes.
This will be a domestic project. Teker is almost entirely MT at the moment, so the experience scientists can learn in not only editing, but monitoring environments is largely prized here as well. So I'm afraid they'll just want genetic samples or living specimen. :?

So with above in mind, mostly the MT, Teker is just trying to get along with what we know today. Plus, I want it to be a bit of a project. Heh..

EDIT - Also the Midwest is hardly harsh! >:o
Well, I suppose I live in the northern hat of it, but still!
Although.. This is different from selecting breeds of corn for dryer climates.
Last edited by Tekeristan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Watersville
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Watersville » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 am

Significance wrote:Ah I see. So it's not so much getting elephants from elsewhere but making your own. Significance is renowned for genetic engineering, due to the harsh landscape (like the American west/mid-west), so knowing this you could write a letter, and we could send scientists over to analyse current species. We would then use this DNA from those species to engineer a breed of elephant so survive similar environments. Any other DNA you want to include could be sent to us too. Of course unlike what's going on in Watersville this wouldn't be free, but I'm sure we can arrange a reasonable price.

What am I doing for free? Oh, or are you saying that you wouldn't help them for free...
-His Royal Highness Joseph A. Watters, King of Watersville
-President elect Ruby McClaw of the Constitutional Monarchy of Watersville
The Constitutional Monarchy of Watersville

Significance
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Significance » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:40 am

Watersville wrote:

What am I doing for free? Oh, or are you saying that you wouldn't help them for free...

I meant I'm doing free stuff for you, but that's only because of the storm. You need stuff, tek merely want a stuff.

Significance
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Significance » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:30 pm

Is anyone even paying attention to the Carosi rp btw. I really want to see what happens next.

Balagan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Balagan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Significance wrote:Is anyone even paying attention to the Carosi rp btw. I really want to see what happens next.

Yes, I do it has been a bit inactive. You are free to land in Parsoh by the way.

The Yuktobanian Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yuktobanian Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:28 am

Where is the summit going to be held? I'm thinking of heading there and observing it.
a single challenger 2

Info about Yuktobania
Military Equipment and Numbers
RP Ships <-- Recommended for people that are in RPs im in.

No, Yuktobania is NOT a communist country.

Cardulan
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardulan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:09 am

The Yuktobanian Republic wrote:Where is the summit going to be held? I'm thinking of heading there and observing it.

Which one?

Significance
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Significance » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:16 am

Cardulan wrote:
The Yuktobanian Republic wrote:Where is the summit going to be held? I'm thinking of heading there and observing it.

Which one?

Mine I think. I'll have a post up later on setting up where it's at.

If you wish to merely observe, please contact the PM. I'm sure you'll be fine to watch, but we'll need to make certain arrangements for you.

Cardulan
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardulan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:19 am

Significance wrote:
Cardulan wrote:Which one?

If you wish to merely observe, please contact the PM. I'm sure you'll be fine to watch, but we'll need to make certain arrangements for you.

The one in Parsoh with Dektash or the lager one in Significance?

The Yuktobanian Republic
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Yuktobanian Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:25 am

Significance wrote:
Cardulan wrote:Which one?

Alright. I'll wait for your post then I'll do mine.
a single challenger 2

Info about Yuktobania

Flauc
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Flauc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:14 am

I drew a map of the battle in Karthos.

Red is controlled by the FMLM, the areas which aren't colored in are controlled by the government.
I hope the map is correct.
Ignore the Key and the blue circle and all those other symbols.

State of Flauc
State of Kiyoshima

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:04 am

I will continue posting once I get back from my quick squirrel hunting trip.

Balagan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Balagan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:28 pm

You can always join the treaty.

The Yuktobanian Republic
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Yuktobanian Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Balagan wrote:

You can always join the treaty.

I haven't really had much of an impact on affairs in the peninsula besides send three ships.
a single challenger 2

Info about Yuktobania

Balagan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Balagan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 pm

The Yuktobanian Republic wrote:
Balagan wrote:You can always join the treaty.

I haven't really had much of an impact on affairs in the peninsula besides send three ships.

No one really has. Just fly to Flauc and sign it. That will give you a lot more influence.

Flauc
Ambassador

Postby Flauc » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:15 am

Could I get to know how much men does the FMLM have? I don't need vague answers like "enough to capture Karthos" or something. I need a few numbers.

1) How much are in Menthi in total?
2) How much are operating in Peni?
3) How much are attacking Karthos?
4) How far are blockade ships from the coast?
5) What is the distance between Peni and Karthos?
Last edited by Flauc on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
State of Flauc
State of Kiyoshima

Flauc
Ambassador

Postby Flauc » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:53 am

Balagan, I think Yuktoban means the meeting in Significance, not the Saruwa Treaty.

Anyways, I've edited the map and made one with the current borders.

State of Flauc
State of Kiyoshima

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:50 am

So, I was considering participating on behalf of Flauc, now im taking a look at the thread. I have a few questions before I make a decision though.

First, what's with the PMT tag? What should I be expecting if I did enter the thread? Because I wont join to only be faced with PMT tech in a MT setting.

One of the ideas im floating around is an invasion north of Mathdisu. Should I be expecting Caracasus forces on their side of the border to be directly fighting me? If so, I'd like to see an ORBAT of what forces are near there, in the area, and what ever else I'd be facing. I'd also like to see what forces are in the said territory/major city since I've been told there currently is no official list/organization of forces there. Because if im going to participate, I want to see what im dealing with on the other side - I know for sure im going to need info and targets for my invasion. I want to hear what this naval force that's blockading the coast has (an orbat please) and what air/sea defenses both Caracasus and Malsti have.
Last edited by Common Territories on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Balagan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Balagan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Common Territories wrote:So, I was considering participating on behalf of Flauc, now im taking a look at the thread. I have a few questions before I make a decision though.

First, what's with the PMT tag? What should I be expecting if I did enter the thread? Because I wont join to only be faced with PMT tech in a MT setting.

One of the ideas im floating around is an invasion north of Mathdisu. Should I be expecting Caracasus forces on their side of the border to be directly fighting me? If so, I'd like to see an ORBAT of what forces are near there, in the area, and what ever else I'd be facing. I'd also like to see what forces are in the said territory/major city since I've been told there currently is no official list/organization of forces there. Because if im going to participate, I want to see what im dealing with on the other side - I know for sure im going to need info and targets for my invasion. I want to hear what this naval force that's blockading the coast has (an orbat please) and what air/sea defenses both Caracasus and Malsti have.

I think you don't need to wait. You can post your ORBAT right away in the OOC.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents