NATION

PASSWORD

(OOC) WANTED: A Nation to Conquer Delmonte

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Delmonte
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

(OOC) WANTED: A Nation to Conquer Delmonte

Postby Delmonte » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:37 am

So here's the story. I've been wanting to try RPing a government in exile for about a year now. That necessitates either a popular revolt which, while trite, is preserved as a final option. I'd much prefer to have a cooperative RP whereby The Most Serene Republic of Delmonte is conquered entirely by a foreign power. Some background information on Delmonte (my factbook has a bit more, you can also read my RP's):

-Delmonte is a plutocracy masquerading as a Democracy. It's a wealthy, vaguely Italian state that focuses mainly on commerce but maintains a substantial naval force. Mercenaries compose the entirety of its land forces.
-Tradition is incredibly important to the Delmontese.
-Delmonte is known for its wine, which is one of its primary industries. It also exports gold.
-The Grand City of Delmonte (the capitol) is a large island off the coast of the rest of the Republic.
-As much info as you want available upon request.

Given that this is an undertaking that will have incredibly far-reaching impacts on my canon, I have some requirements. Here are requirements in terms of storyline:

1: The Republic of Delmonte is conquered in its entirety.
2: The bulk of the Delmontese government and influential patrician families escape (this is so that I can RP a government in exile properly).
3: The underground and criminal empires of the various patrician families, particularly those of the ruling family, will remain and flourish under occupation.
4: Moderate infrastructure damage is permissible as is collateral damage. However, since it's my nation I do ultimately reserve the right to say what is and is not acceptable damage. So disappearing people is fine, but no purges.
5: The occupation of Delmonte will be ephemeral. When I grow weary of my government in exile RPing, as I surely will once I've had my fill, a combination of internal activity, mercenaries, and foreign allies of the government in exile will retake Delmonte. IC this will be a few/several years later. As few as three and as many as seven or eight years. At that juncture I'll need you to, at minimum, post a sort of "We give up" post. But obviously I'd prefer a more detailed RP.
6: As mentioned previously, given that Delmonte and all its characters are my RP, devised by me, and written by me, I maintain final decision-making power over everything. Just like you would over your own nation.

Here are requirements for the player:

1: You need to write well. I don't give a damn about your post count or the year you joined. If you joined today and write well, you and I are square.
2: You need to demonstrate that you can write regularly. I don't need prolific writing, but I need a post a week. Which is reasonable.
3: IRC activity is strongly, strongly preferred. I idle in #theforgottenlands.
4: Monarchies>Fascist Countries>Democracies. Just makes more thematic sense to me.
5: You need to be willing to make up characters for the occupation/invasion and have them die bloody deaths when Delmonte is retaken. I won't ask you to let me kill characters you've developed, but you do need to make some characters for me to kill. I don't need a bunch, just two or three. Happy to return the favor.

Questions or interest can be posted here or taken to TG or you can try to find me on IRC. I'm not particular about which.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
[15:35] <Tag> I can only presume it is treasure.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
<Delmonte> Metaphorically kill their metaphorical family.
Code: Select all
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The man from Delmonte says yes.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:01 am

An interesting idea.

Delmonte wrote:5: You need to be willing to make up characters for the occupation/invasion and have them die bloody deaths when Delmonte is retaken. I won't ask you to let me kill characters you've developed, but you do need to make some characters for me to kill. I don't need a bunch, just two or three. Happy to return the favor.

Is that an absolute requirement? I could imagine that if Delmonte went into a massive quantity of debt that was bought by Ausitorian vulture funds and then suddenly tried to impose a haircut, the companies might take drastic measures to get their money back via a tax surcharge, but then peacefully vacate the country after they had covered the liabilities.

The principle advantage of such a scenario would be (a) no draconian limit on the movement of escaping people, (b) very little economic damage would be done both during the fighting and occupation, and (c) due to fairly minimal policing budgets and a resentful but relatively unencumbered population trying to hide their money from the taxman, the criminal empires would easily flourish.

Of course, if you think that's a little too crazy, fair enough!
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:06 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:An interesting idea.

Delmonte wrote:5: You need to be willing to make up characters for the occupation/invasion and have them die bloody deaths when Delmonte is retaken. I won't ask you to let me kill characters you've developed, but you do need to make some characters for me to kill. I don't need a bunch, just two or three. Happy to return the favor.

Is that an absolute requirement? I could imagine that if Delmonte went into a massive quantity of debt that was bought by Ausitorian vulture funds and then suddenly tried to impose a haircut, the companies might take drastic measures to get their money back via a tax surcharge, but then peacefully vacate the country after they had covered the liabilities.

The principle advantage of such a scenario would be (a) no draconian limit on the movement of escaping people, (b) very little economic damage would be done both during the fighting and occupation, and (c) due to fairly minimal policing budgets and a resentful but relatively unencumbered population trying to hide their money from the taxman, the criminal empires would easily flourish.

Of course, if you think that's a little too crazy, fair enough!

I'm confused. Did you perhaps quote the wrong number in this post?
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:14 am

No? I'd be just as anxious as you to limit collateral damage/deaths, hence my proposed scenario:

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:

Is that an absolute requirement? I could imagine that [...] the companies might [...] then peacefully vacate the country after they had covered the liabilities.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:16 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:No. I'd be just as anxious as you to limit collateral damage/deaths, hence my proposed scenario:

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Is that an absolute requirement? I could imagine that [...] the companies might [...] then peacefully vacate the country after they had covered the liabilities.

I think you meant to quote the other point that addressed collateral damage, then. Either way. Collateral damage isn't a huge worry. I'll be sure to let you know what is and is not okay.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:20 am

The collateral damage of Ausitorians is a concern to me, hence my preference for a non-bloody return, and hence my quote of the requirement that concerned me. But if one post into this discussion we are already have this much difficulty getting through to each other, I rather doubt we'll get anywhere at all in an RP: so good luck!

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:24 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:The collateral damage of Ausitorians is a concern to me, hence my preference for a non-bloody return, and hence my quote of the requirement that concerned me. But if one post into this discussion we are already have this much difficulty getting through to each other, I rather doubt we'll get anywhere at all in an RP: so good luck!

Oh, no, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah, a bloody exit is very much a requisite for the kind of story I have planned. I'd hope for a fight to be put up from the occupying side. So if that's something you're not willing to do, then absolutely this is not for you. They were listed as requirements for a reason.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:26 am

Good luck, then!

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:47 am

I would be interested in being this invader of sorts. Akai is a particularly totalitarian monarchy which could I imagine serve as this conqueror through one of its larger private forces.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:45 am

I'm fairly intrigued by this proposal you have and would certainly like to register my interest.

My main concern though is how exactly a plausible scenario might exist which would necessitate my nation conquering and administering Delmonte as our latest piece of lebensraum cooperative venture. In any case though, the final decision is yours. You know me enough from Sondrian days to know what my capabilities are as an RPer.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:08 am

The IASM wrote:I would be interested in being this invader of sorts. Akai is a particularly totalitarian monarchy which could I imagine serve as this conqueror through one of its larger private forces.

Thanks. We will certainly be in touch to figure out more.

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:I'm fairly intrigued by this proposal you have and would certainly like to register my interest.

My main concern though is how exactly a plausible scenario might exist which would necessitate my nation conquering and administering Delmonte as our latest piece of lebensraum cooperative venture. In any case though, the final decision is yours. You know me enough from Sondrian days to know what my capabilities are as an RPer.

It's always pretty easy to come up with something. Honestly, that's just paperwork.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:40 am

Delmonte wrote:It's always pretty easy to come up with something. Honestly, that's just paperwork.

It's harder to come up with a suitable casus belli/background that actually clicks, and which will be instrumental in providing some good backstory. But in any case, I'm still interested by this RPing topic of sorts.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:13 am

At this point I think I've found the player I'll be moving forward. Thank you all for your interest and I'll definitely keep you in mind if this doesn't work out or, even if it does, for other roleplays in the future.

Tx, bb ;)

Yours in Christ,
Delmonte

Sperland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sperland » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 am

Sperland will gladly invade Delmonte. Even if we are Anarchist.
Soviet Britainnian-Sperlish war (Ceasefire)
The Sperland-Antarcteca war(Treaty)
The Liberation of Andorra (Ceasefire)
The invasion of the Caribean (withdrawn)
War against Anarcho France (Victory)
Second Sperlish-Soviet War (Ceasefire)
The Fifth Sperlish Civil War (Rebel Victory)
The US-Sperlish war (Victory)

Watch this Video
https://youtu.be/NwztaQgv3-Y

We are a dictatorship in disguise! SHH! DON'T TELL ANYONE!

Ralkovian Grand Island
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovian Grand Island » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:17 pm

I was going to volunteer, but obviously I was too late. Let me know when you need liberation though. I'd be willing to come to your aid as well.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk.

Estainia: The countless genocides...So many countless genocides.

Old Tyrannia wrote:You've never met Ralk before, have you? Ralk doesn't have friends.
He only respects the strong, and preys on the weak.
He might act polite and smile all the time, but always remember...
The day will come when you'll wake up to find him looming over your bed,
knife in hand, and he'll still be smiling.

Constaniana wrote:Ralk is evil incarnate, shouldn't you know this by now?

Seriong wrote:Ralk isn't a troll, he's just despicable.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Ralkovian Grand Island wrote:I was going to volunteer, but obviously I was too late. Let me know when you need liberation though. I'd be willing to come to your aid as well.

Tx, bb. Lu <3

Byzanthia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Byzanthia » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:42 pm

I think I am interested in joining. But can I oppose the takeover of Delmonte? Byzanthia is a mainly pacifist country, and its military, while strong, has rarely been used. I will most likely be conquered as well, along with your country.
Hellenic Republic of Byzanthia | Ελληνική Δημοκρατία της Βυζαντινής | Ellinikí Dimokratía tis Vyzantinís

Death to tyranny! | Θάνατος στην τυραννία! | Thánatos stin tyrannía!

WIP

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:09 pm

Byzanthia wrote:I think I am interested in joining. But can I oppose the takeover of Delmonte? Byzanthia is a mainly pacifist country, and its military, while strong, has rarely been used. I will most likely be conquered as well, along with your country.

Nah. More than one person being in the RP will take that much more attention away from me, which is unacceptable. The only reason why someone else is involved at all in the writing of this RP is that a cooperative RP is definitionally impossible to do alone. But such involvement (that is to say, the involvement of people who are not me) should be kept to an absolute minimum. No offense. I'm sure you're very good. You're just not me. If at any point you become me, I'll wholeheartedly have you involved as that's really the only thing holding you back. If you can find some way to be involved where I still write everything other than what Titianicia writes, I'd also be willing to consider that.

Your Loyal Friend, Confidant, and Father of Your Lovechild,
Delmonte
XOXO *winkyface*
Last edited by Delmonte on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents