NATION

PASSWORD

The Hammerfall Games, Winter 2151 [OOC Discussion, Attn LoM]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novum Alexandria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novum Alexandria » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:19 am

New Frenco Empire wrote:
Blakullar wrote:How can we be certain? You never know when there might be a Frenk hiding under the bed!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wonder if Alexandria can out-hedonism Frenco.

Tecton wrote:Made an entry post for Scyther, Enigma, and M-0257009.

See:
Novum Alexandria wrote:
Tecton wrote:I hope you don't expect Scyther to introduce himself once the time comes.

How fast can Scyther move? I'm somewhat curious if it'll be able to avoid shots from the hardlight rifle with the same ease that it would avoid more traditional ballistics.
A LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES member. Loosely based on The God Machine from New World of Darkness.
Steam

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:20 am

Blakullar wrote:
New Frenco Empire wrote:( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm not even kidding. There I am procrastinating away in my university block, when suddenly the Zealotry (literally) shows its face!

oh shit

a concrete statue is standing behind me
SYNCRETIC COMBINE - SINKRETIČKE KOMBINAT
Factbook - Trobojka
JEDNOM ZAUVEK - ARMIJA SINKOMSKA

Tecton
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tecton » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:56 am

Novum Alexandria wrote:
Tecton wrote:I hope you don't expect Scyther to introduce himself once the time comes.

How fast can Scyther move? I'm somewhat curious if it'll be able to avoid shots from the hardlight rifle with the same ease that it would avoid more traditional ballistics.

What I probably should have noted about his TK is that taking the place of down right teleportation is enhancement of speed, and being as in combat he will likely be levitating, that would give him freedom of movement. In space he would be able to reach extreme speeds, though in an atmosphere it would take longer for him to actually reach said extreme speeds due to drag. While he couldn't immediately go supersonic, he could probably get up to about 80 KPH when enhanced with TK within seconds.
DEFCON Level: 5 - Normal Readiness
Current Event: Average life in Tecton
Citizen Temperament: Normal
Tech Level: FFT (SA stat is currently not canon, new issue system fucked me up.)
Military Personnel: 310,820,366 (Total)
Long Live Technology!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
Member of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!

Novum Alexandria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Novum Alexandria » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:14 am

Tecton wrote:
Novum Alexandria wrote:How fast can Scyther move? I'm somewhat curious if it'll be able to avoid shots from the hardlight rifle with the same ease that it would avoid more traditional ballistics.

What I probably should have noted about his TK is that taking the place of down right teleportation is enhancement of speed, and being as in combat he will likely be levitating, that would give him freedom of movement. In space he would be able to reach extreme speeds, though in an atmosphere it would take longer for him to actually reach said extreme speeds due to drag. While he couldn't immediately go supersonic, he could probably get up to about 80 KPH when enhanced with TK within seconds.

Not fast enough to evade hardlight, but definitely fast enough to make aiming at him an issue. Duly noted for the upcoming match.
A LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES member. Loosely based on The God Machine from New World of Darkness.
Steam

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:19 am

On an unrelated note, the first Razor's Edge match will have a futuristic take on the usual flame trap. I'll be rigging each fight with a unique trap/obstacle to keep the challenges interesting.
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:59 am

Blakullar wrote:On an unrelated note, the first Razor's Edge match will have a futuristic take on the usual flame trap. I'll be rigging each fight with a unique trap/obstacle to keep the challenges interesting.

Is there any way to see these traps before they activate?

Novum Alexandria wrote:
Tecton wrote:What I probably should have noted about his TK is that taking the place of down right teleportation is enhancement of speed, and being as in combat he will likely be levitating, that would give him freedom of movement. In space he would be able to reach extreme speeds, though in an atmosphere it would take longer for him to actually reach said extreme speeds due to drag. While he couldn't immediately go supersonic, he could probably get up to about 80 KPH when enhanced with TK within seconds.

Not fast enough to evade hardlight, but definitely fast enough to make aiming at him an issue. Duly noted for the upcoming match.

I'm pretty sure nothing short of relativistic or FTL speeds can dodge hardlight on accident, and only psychics can dodge it on purpose. It does move at light speed, right?
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Blakullar wrote:On an unrelated note, the first Razor's Edge match will have a futuristic take on the usual flame trap. I'll be rigging each fight with a unique trap/obstacle to keep the challenges interesting.

Is there any way to see these traps before they activate?

There will be plenty of warning given before the trap activates. For instance, the plasma vents have a delay of about two seconds between the glowing floor and the vent opening up (I'll put this into effect by stating 'the floor starts to glow' in a post and leave the characters to react to the trap's activation). I will explain how each trap/obstacle works before the fight starts - nobody will be unfairly caught out by the arena.
Last edited by Blakullar on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:46 am

Blakullar wrote:
New Frenco Empire wrote:( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm not even kidding. There I am procrastinating away in my university block, when suddenly the Zealotry (literally) shows its face!

I mean, I knew the Culture Office was good at subterfuge, but when I wrote them in, I didn't know they were that good. Warping to the real world to get first-hand knowledge on Mechanocratic movements? Man, that takes dedication...
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

Novum Alexandria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Novum Alexandria » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:49 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Novum Alexandria wrote:Not fast enough to evade hardlight, but definitely fast enough to make aiming at him an issue. Duly noted for the upcoming match.

I'm pretty sure nothing short of relativistic or FTL speeds can dodge hardlight on accident, and only psychics can dodge it on purpose. It does move at light speed, right?

Yeah. It's Deus Ex Machinima, so I wanted to make sure. :p
Steam

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:57 am

New Frenco Empire wrote:
Blakullar wrote:I'm not even kidding. There I am procrastinating away in my university block, when suddenly the Zealotry (literally) shows its face!

I mean, I knew the Culture Office was good at subterfuge, but when I wrote them in, I didn't know they were that good. Warping to the real world to get first-hand knowledge on Mechanocratic movements? Man, that takes dedication...

Your Culture Office isn't the only one. In a post in the RP I'm doing with Imperium Sidhicum, I had one of my comsats magnetically attach itself to one of Sidhae's starships before it makes a hyperspace jump. Sidhae later informed me that, when he wrote the next post, he didn't even see the bit with the satellite. So Mecharussian stealth tech is officially so effective that it breaks the fourth wall. :D

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Vistora
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Alright, my first Razor's Edge post is up, and the fight has officially commenced! I wouldn't mind some shit-talking first, though.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 am

'Ey Tecton!

"Ion Energy, unlike Plasma"

W0t fuq m8

That might need some further explanation.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:45 am

Vistora wrote:'Ey Tecton!

W0t fuq m8

I wouldn't read Tecton's weapon descriptions from a Hard Science standpoint if I were you. Ion Miniguns (what is the point of rotating barrels?) and Ion Railguns (what even is that?) are things.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:56 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:

W0t fuq m8

I wouldn't read Tecton's weapon descriptions from a Hard Science standpoint if I were you. Ion Miniguns (what is the point of rotating barrels?) and Ion Railguns (what even is that?) are things.

If "Ion" referred to plasma (which was my operating assumption), then it would at least be plausible, but apparently it does not...

Anyways, I don't need an explanation of the science behind it, just the properties it exhibits.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Vistora wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

If "Ion" referred to plasma (which was my operating assumption), then it would at least be plausible, but apparently it does not...

Anyways, I don't need an explanation of the science behind it, just the properties it exhibits.

No, I'm pretty sure "Ion" refers to either charged particles such as protons or electrons (given references to ion beams, would make sense) or to some made up BS (Fire the Ion Cannon! *EMP-like effect*).

Tecton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tecton » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:19 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:

W0t fuq m8

I'll admit that my Ion weaponry portion of my factbook does need some work, because I made that a while ago, before I had much knowledge of what Ions were (or even what a railgun actually was), and I probably do need to rework it.

W0t fuq m8

Er, where exactly did I say "Ion Energy, unlike Plasma"? I don't see it in my RP posts. Was it in a factbook?
Tech Level: FFT (SA stat is currently not canon, new issue system fucked me up.)
Long Live Technology!

Tecton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tecton » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Vistora wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure "Ion" refers to either charged particles such as protons or electrons (given references to ion beams, would make sense) or to some made up BS (Fire the Ion Cannon! *EMP-like effect*).

I go by the charged particle definition, I would not call a Projected EMP cannon an Ion cannon.
Long Live Technology!

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:27 pm

Tecton wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

I'll admit that my Ion weaponry portion of my factbook does need some work, because I made that a while ago, before I had much knowledge of what Ions were (or even what a railgun actually was), and I probably do need to rework it.

W0t fuq m8

Er, where exactly did I say "Ion Energy, unlike Plasma"? I don't see it in my RP posts. Was it in a factbook?

Tecton wrote:He then pulls two seemingly empty hilts from the back of his waist holding them parallel to each other in front of him. They, seemingly at random, activate, a stream of Ionized particles extending from the hilts, forming a katana-esk "blade", something like a lightsaber but with ion energy instead of plasma, obviously almost impossible to break without a positive magnetic field, as opposed to traditional metallic materials used for bladed weaponry. He does no fancy tricks with them, and instead, they merely deactivate a few moments after, likely to not allow any evaluation of his skill before the fight begins. He places the hilts back behind his waist once deactivated.

Excidium Planetis wrote:

I mean, that's what plasma is... a "gas" of ionized (charged) particles. The separation of electrons from the atomic nuclei is what makes plasma a great conductor.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:28 pm

Tecton wrote:

W0t fuq m8

I believe Vistora is referring to this post:
Tecton wrote:He then pulls two seemingly empty hilts from the back of his waist holding them parallel to each other in front of him. They, seemingly at random, activate, a stream of Ionized particles extending from the hilts, forming a katana-esk "blade", something like a lightsaber but with ion energy instead of plasma, obviously almost impossible to break without a positive magnetic field, as opposed to traditional metallic materials used for bladed weaponry. He does no fancy tricks with them, and instead, they merely deactivate a few moments after, likely to not allow any evaluation of his skill before the fight begins. He places the hilts back behind his waist once deactivated.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Vistora wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

I mean, that's what plasma is... a "gas" of ionized (charged) particles. The separation of electrons from the atomic nuclei is what makes plasma a great conductor.

Unless I seriously misunderstood Physics class, Plasma isn't just charged particles, it's a superheated (or electromagnetic) "gas" that contains far more ions than ordinary gases. Plasma also contains neutrons (which are not charged particles) and maybe also atoms that are not ions.

This is opposed to a charged particle beam, which would use only charged particles.

Acheronis
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Acheronis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Vistora wrote:

Unless I seriously misunderstood Physics class, Plasma isn't just charged particles, it's a superheated (or electromagnetic) "gas" that contains far more ions than ordinary gases. Plasma also contains neutrons (which are not charged particles) and maybe also atoms that are not ions.

This is opposed to a charged particle beam, which would use only charged particles.

From Wikipedia:
"Plasma is loosely described as an electrically neutral medium of unbound positive and negative particles (i.e. the overall charge of a plasma is roughly zero). It is important to note that although they are unbound, these particles are not ‘free’ in the sense of not experiencing forces. When the charges move, they generate electric currents with magnetic fields, and as a result, they are affected by each other’s fields. This governs their collective behavior with many degrees of freedom. A definition can have three criteria:

The plasma approximation: Charged particles must be close enough together that each particle influences many nearby charged particles, rather than just interacting with the closest particle (these collective effects are a distinguishing feature of a plasma). The plasma approximation is valid when the number of charge carriers within the sphere of influence (called the Debye sphere whose radius is the Debye screening length) of a particular particle is higher than unity to provide collective behavior of the charged particles. The average number of particles in the Debye sphere is given by the plasma parameter,[ambiguous] "Λ" (the Greek uppercase letter Lambda).

Bulk interactions: The Debye screening length (defined above) is short compared to the physical size of the plasma. This criterion means that interactions in the bulk of the plasma are more important than those at its edges, where boundary effects may take place. When this criterion is satisfied, the plasma is quasi neutral.

Plasma frequency: The electron plasma frequency (measuring plasma oscillations of the electrons) is large compared to the electron-neutral collision frequency (measuring frequency of collisions between electrons and neutral particles). When this condition is valid, electrostatic interactions dominate over the processes of ordinary gas kinetics."
The Transdimensional Dominion of Acheronis

We don't use NS stats
This nation does not necessarily represent my views.
Dominion Central News Network|Supreme Stratigos Artemis has been elected temporary Supreme Chancellor, Lord-Stratigos Frey is promoted to temporary Supreme Stratigos.

Observer of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!

Tecton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tecton » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Vistora wrote:
Tecton wrote:I'll admit that my Ion weaponry portion of my factbook does need some work, because I made that a while ago, before I had much knowledge of what Ions were (or even what a railgun actually was), and I probably do need to rework it.

Well, as explained to me by my friend whom is more knowledgeable than me, they, in fact, are the same in many ways except for the fact that Ions can, instead of loose protons/electrons, can have an added proton/electron to achieve their extreme heat. While it isn't a huge difference by any means, it is still a difference.
Last edited by Tecton on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live Technology!

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Vistora wrote:

Well, you're not necessarily wrong by any means. Superheating and/or electrical passage are just the methods by which the ionization is achieved, particularly in a mixture of positively and negatively charged particles that would otherwise bind when not being ionized. However, plasma does not necessarily have neutrons; protium (hydrogen) plasma is abundant in outer space, and by definition contains no neutrons. Anyways, plasma, as a state of matter, can be a very general term, essentially boiling down to "a buncha ions". For example, when you refer to an "Ion beam", the VASIMR system propellant comes to mind, which is, indeed, a plasma. Indeed, an ion beam, simply by process of elimination, would have to be a plasma.

Edit: I see now that, provided the particle composition is mostly either electrons or protons/atomic nuclei, that might be an exception. This might be what you're referring to.
Last edited by Vistora on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Tecton wrote:
Vistora wrote:

Well, as explained to me by my friend whom is more knowledgeable than me, they, in fact, are the same in many ways except for the fact that Ions can, instead of loose protons/electrons, can have an added proton/electron to achieve their extreme heat. While it isn't a huge difference by any means, it is still a difference.

If they are ions, and if they are clustered close enough together to be considered a cohesive "area" of matter, then it is plasma, unless the particle composition is completely homogenous (and thus having a notably skewed net charge)

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:19 pm

Vistora wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

Well, you're not necessarily wrong by any means. Superheating and/or electrical passage are just the methods by which the ionization is achieved, particularly in a mixture of positively and negatively charged particles that would otherwise bind when not being ionized. However, plasma does not necessarily have neutrons; protium (hydrogen) plasma is abundant in outer space, and by definition contains no neutrons. Anyways, plasma, as a state of matter, can be a very general term, essentially boiling down to "a buncha ions". For example, when you refer to an "Ion beam", the VASIMR system propellant comes to mind, which is, indeed, a plasma. Indeed, an ion beam, simply by process of elimination, would have to be a plasma.

Edit: I see now that, provided the particle composition is mostly either electrons or protons/atomic nuclei, that might be an exception. This might be what you're referring to.

Okay, I'll concede plasma does not necessarily contain neutrons.

At any rate, plasma versus ion beams is very difficult to draw a line. I personally view plasma as a mix of positive and negative ions, which would form stable matter in other conditions, versus ion beams as entirely positive or entirely negative ions, which would not form stable matter in other conditions.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents