NATION

PASSWORD

To the Depths (IC, Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Phonox
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

To the Depths (IC, Closed)

Postby Phonox » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Again? Although, in hindsight, maybe the makeshift cafeteria was a good thing to have aboard the ship. Aina began to grow more and more used to eating very similar meals day in and day out. After-all, it seemed as though that was all that was provided. She slid her tray down the metallic line in an assembly-line-like fashion gathering up her daily rations in a somewhat hasty manner. The three sections of the plastic tray were quick to fill up with several small bowls of small portions. Sliced slivers of fish that appeared to have been cooked somewhat well served over a small mound of rice, a bowl of what she could only describe as lukewarm broth served with diced vegetables, and another bowl of thick noodles made up her evening meal. The same meal she had in the evening for at least nine days straight now. Indeed, this was hardly like meals from home, but after so many days of having nothing to eat except this, Aina wasn’t one to complain.

With food in hand, Aina slipped away from the line and made her way over to the table where she usually sat. Another long day was winding down and coming to an end, and they usually ended here: at the same table as the other nights eating the same food. She never seemed to mind it though, always taking the time to read some of the books she brought along with her. Tonight’s reading was going to be a continuation of a fantasy novel, it seemed. She flipped open the cover and started to skim along through the pages until she recalled where in “The Last Frog King” she left off on.

Aina Nakaro was one of seven student interns aboard the Artemis research vessel. For a young student from the Torushima Imperial University in Phonox, a real world experience like this was something she dreamed of for a long time. When she originally applied, she was wondering what work aboard a marine research vessel might consist of. It wasn’t long before she figured out that the ‘research’ part of ‘research vessel’ included many tasks which some might consider menial. To Aina though, the tasks were all too fun sometimes, often eliciting a bit too much enthusiasm in her work calibrating sensors and compiling data into digital formats for other (more qualified) individuals to oversee later. By the end of the day however, all the over-enthusiastic mannerisms seem to fade and Aina always seemed to become exhausted and quiet. By the end of the day, she would just end up sitting along with everyone else, eating and reading her book in the small mess hall for the ship’s eighteen ‘inhabitants’.

After eating came quiet hours aboard the ship, the designated time that everyone should use for sleep. Admittedly though, Aina always had trouble sleeping. She entered the cafeteria tired, she left it tired, but still couldn’t find solace in her small cot by the time she entered the cabin. At first, she blamed her misfortune quietly upon noisy sleepers in the room that made all too much noise during the nights; of course, she was sharing the room with the other six students and a few of the crew members aboard the ship, making her living situation very compact. Later on, she started to blame the waves of the Livean Sea crashing against the ship and causing it to rock so much that she couldn’t get comfortable in bed. After so many nights of getting only several hours of sleep, Aina didn’t exactly know what to blame though. Instead, she just stood awake, staring out towards the moonlight that dimly lit the room as she rested and tried to eventually sleep.

Night after night, it never seemed to get any easier falling asleep. The ship was not built with leisure as its first priority. The ship was a bit dated in most of its infrastructure. While of course the instruments for their experimentation were up to par, the ship itself was a rustic relic from at least the 1950s. The ship had many rooms that had been converted into other things as a result of retrofitting in an attempt to keep the ship sea-worthy and up to date with regulations at the ports it stopped in. The mess hall Aina was in previously in was covered in decade-old stains that seemed to have become part of the ship following some neglectful maintenance. Despite its current sloppy state, the crew behind the counters always seemed to be able to prepare meals that didn’t end with the entire crew becoming sick, too. This thoroughly seemed to surprise Aina, who thought that even in her few days on board she might have contracted food-borne illness. The halls aboard the ship were nothing too neat either, dimly lit corridors separated by large metallic doors that locked on both sides in the event of flooding. Even the room that Aina slept in was covered in rust and dark patches all over the floors and walls. It was previously a component to the ship’s coal-fueled engines. Aina herself did some questioning around the state of her sleeping quarters that she shared with the many others there. She had learned that ship’s engines had previously given out while at sea. When the ship was returned, it was found that to replace the turbines and boilers would be cheaper than purchasing a new ship. Later on, when the ship was retired from its original job of transporting cargo in the Livean, it was sold to a small research firm based out of a quaint port city in Kirisaki. This purchase was only a few years ago, so perhaps it really was too soon to try and repair the old ship.

The generally rotting insides aboard the ship didn’t help Aina, especially when she was trying to sleep. Either way, when it was over, and she finally slept, she would wake up the next day and repeat the process all over again. It sure was monotonous, and she would agree, but she appeared to begin finding that banal pattern rather familiar and comforting. The only thing bugging her now was whether or not she should be afraid of finding her highly rigid regime comforting.

Kirisaki
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirisaki » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:27 am

"Aww, not again ..."

I heaved a deep sigh of disappointment as Yuuri set down a murky bowl of soup in front of me. Well, I call it murky because it seemed ... so lifeless. Colourless. It might also be because we'd had the same tired vegetable soup nine days in a row now, and I really, really couldn't take any more of this.

"This soup is driving me right up the wall, Rii. Right up the wall."

Opposite me, Yuuri made a face as she picked up her spoon and dipped it into the brownish liquid. Bringing a spoonful of the stuff to her nose, she gave it a cautious sniff, as if checking to see if the cook hadn't slipped some rat poison into the unappetising stuff, before delicately taking a sip. It apparently didn't agree with her, as she immediately began coughing violently, tears streaming from her eyes.

"You think you're the only one who's tired of it, Megu? Kirigiri help us, if the cook gives us the same tomorrow I'm gonna march right into the kitchen and make him walk the plank. I'm even dreaming of the blasted stuff now."

Moodily, I broke my pair of disposable chopsticks apart and made my first exploration of the soup. It had been bad enough on the first day, and moderately tolerable on the second ... but nine days in a row was just too much. Sure, I wasn't expecting to be served heavenly feasts onboard a leaky vessel that should've been decommissioned decades ago, but was a little variety too much to ask?

"I wish we'd smuggled some remotely edible food onboard ... rice and noodles are fine enough in and of themselves, but when you've got nothing decent to go with them ... may the kami have mercy upon our poor stomachs."

Yuuri's only response was a simple shrug. "Guess we're lucky to get this at all, Megu. 'least we're not as hard off as those sailors back in the day; I can't imagine surviving on hardtack and lemons for weeks on end. There's this expression the whites like to use ... 'be thankful for small mercies'? That's what we gotta do."

Yuuri took another sip of soup and scrunched up her face in disgust.

"Guess I'm a hypocrite, because eww, it just keeps on getting worse with every mouthful I take. I think I've had enough, Megu, you want my share?"

"If you're trying to foist your bowl of disgusting half-finished soup on me after giving me a lecture, you can keep on dreaming, Rii. Besides, I don't even think I can finish my own portion."

Yuuri let out a light chuckle. "You'll be needing every last drop of sustenance you can get, Megu. Don't forget, there's a huuuge storm forecast tonight - and we're slated to be right in its path. You know you're not exactly the most seaworthy of vessels, if you get my drift ... "

How could I not? I'd spent most of the first couple of days onboard the Artemis throwing up everything that I managed to swallow. My face still burned with embarrassment whenever anyone brought that up. Luckily, it hadn't taken me too long to get acclimatised to the rocking motion of the ship, and with some practice I was able to hold my food far better than I had managed.

"That's if I can manage to digest all of two bowls of soup before the storm hits, Rii ... unless you want to risk getting hit in the face by projectile vomit."

" ... on second thought, I'd better just dispose of this in the usual manner."

After I'd polished off my own bowl of soup and what little was left of my rice and noodles (despite what I'd said to Rii, I was still loath to let food go to waste), I clambered onto the deck for a little breather. I had made it a habit to take a stroll on the deck whenever I could; it was the only exercise that I could reasonably get onboard a cramped ship such as the Artemis.

Today, though, the sight that awaited me as I leaned against the railing was a gloomy one; to the east lay a bank of dark, forbidding cloud crackling with electricity. I fancied we had roughly another fifty klicks to go before we hit the storm. A stiff breeze was already tousling my hair, and there was no question that we were in for a really difficult time later in the evening. Well, I was going to have a real battle on my hands, at any rate.

"Looks like we're in for a really dirty night, Aono-kun. I wouldn't want to be walking around on dry land in this weather we're going to get, let alone on a ship."

Snapped out of my little reverie by the sudden interruption, I whipped around - finding a man in his early thirties, with a stained, crumpled lab coat draped over his shoulders, grinning at me. I let my face break into a little smile.

"Oh, it's you, Hiranuma-sensei. It's rare to see you away from your computers and notes."

"Come now, Aono-kun, I may be a man devoted to his work, but that doesn't mean I'm married to it. I'm hardly the type to coop myself up 24/7 just to pore over gigs of sensor data, am I? I'm not a lifeless workaholic whose life depends on the quality of his work!"

"Hah, if you say so, Hiranuma-sensei. Pardon the assumption, but it just seemed like you were the ... dedicated type. Like, really dedicated, to the point you'd collapse from overwork if someone didn't drag you out of your room every once in a while. Besides, I think this is the first time I've seen you here on the deck."

Hiranuma gave a careless shrug and leaned on the railing beside me.

"Just thought I needed a breath of fresh air. Fooling around with data can be an oddly mesmerising task, and that's part of why I love my job, but I've got to unwind every now and then, else I'd go absolutely bonkers with all those numbers reeling around in my head. Now, if I were back in the land of the blessed snow I'd probably go visit the hot springs or something, but seeing as we're stuck onboard the Artemis I guess I'll have to make do with the occasional leisurely stroll on the deck."

I stretched my arms above my head, easing the tension that had built up inside my muscles.

"No time to lose in getting your stroll then, Hiranuma-sensei; as you say, we're in for some really heavy weather pretty soon. If you don't get a move on you're liable to be in for a really good soaking."

Hiranuma scratched his head and smiled sheepishly.

"Yes, I guess I had better do so. I have a lot of work waiting for me anyway; you know the Phonese intern, Nakaro? Well, she went and dumped a whole load of data in my in-tray just a couple of hours ago, I imagine it'll take me the better part of tonight just to make a dent in that. A quick walk along the deck, and it's back to the grind for me."

The young professor grinned and raised a hand in farewell as he headed off on his walk.

"Thanks, Aono-kun; it's been a pleasure chatting with you. Make sure you know where the lifeboats are stashed; who knows, you just might need it tonight."
The artist known as Kyrin Knightsbridge; everybody's favourite blend of acidic, astringent sarcasm.

Phonox
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonox » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:23 pm

”And you know this how, again?” Aina asked the other student beside her, seemingly grinning as she saw the sudden confused look upon her colleague’s face.

”Well, you know…” he stumbled, ”the amount of sodium and chlorine ions in the water is detected by… the detectors.”

Aina had known Taro for most of the trip by now, and as they grew closer she always seemed to notice that he was quick to claim knowledge on a myriad of subjects, even if it was hardly the case. She conceded this time though. ”It’s okay, I understand Taro. The quicker we write these reports up, the sooner we can sleep though.”

“Can you believe this?” Taro asked afterwards. He took a long gaze around the room they were in, a large compartment in the ship that was dimly lit and filled with metallic chairs and tables. “A cargo hold converted to a library?”

While Taro found the idea amusing, Aina simply shook her head and seemed to ignore the humour of the situation. This was the second straight day that the ship had been caught in a large storm in the Livean Sea, leaving many of the crew members ‘stranded’ inside. By now, Aina was simply looking forward to sleep.

“I can’t wait to get back to my bed,” she mused.

”Quickly then: help me make sense of the third problem.”

When the two finished their work (or had given up on their work, leaving it for later), they both left the quiet study room and headed down the corridor. They walked cautiously along the hall as they headed back to their quarters, the floors soaked in water from the heavy storm. On the side bordering the edge of the boat, a meter tall panel was all that helped prevent them from slipping off of the ship. At sea, the only light at night came from the lights of the ship, even if they were a bit dull and some lights broken.

“It’s a nice night isn’t it?” Aina asked, her tone not sounding sarcastic in the slightest manner.

”A nice night?” Taro asked, looking baffled. ”Are you sure you’re wide awake right now?”

”Well, it is nice though. Storms of this magnitude don’t really come too often in Sorashiro.” Aina looked away for a moment, out towards sea even. She seemed to take a moment to collect her thoughts, perhaps coming to terms with the idea that a storm at sea wasn’t the most pleasant things to discuss with someone.

”These kinds of storms always happen out here. Don’t worry. Where I live, they come pretty often. Nothing that bad ever happens though.” Taro had lived in Phonox for most of his life, only having met Aina several weeks ago during their training exercises for this trip in Kirayuki. They both grew fairly close over time, spending a few nights such as this one working together to finish assignments they were still responsible for from university. Taro was a student in the same year of school as Aina was, so their assignments were often the same as they took many of the same courses in university.

”Of course you would know that,” Aina added in mischievously. ”You always seem to know everything, don’t you Taro?” The two laughed as Taro opened the door to an inner hall, sheltered away form the storm.

”Hey now, there are some things I don’t know,” Taro said in a jesting rebuttal, closing the door behind them. At long last, the stepped into a dry room. ”Maybe we’ll find out what I don’t know someday.”

Aina rolled her eyes visibly in front of him, smirking still as they both started down the hall towards the many sleeping quarters. ”Fine then. Do you still want me to save you my extra portion of beef stew tomorrow morning?”

”Yes please,” Taro replied back quickly. ”I’ll save some of my food for you too, don’t worry.”

”Good.”

Within a quick moment, they ended up outside of Aina’s room that she shared with the many others inside. ”It’s still not curfew time, right?” Taro asked as they both stopped in front of the large steel doorway. His tone was lowered to a whisper.

”I don’t think so, no,” Aina replied back, matching his whispering tone. Her eyes curiously watched him over now and the two shared an enduring silence that seemed to last an eternity.

”Well, then… I think I’m going to go get ready for bed and read while I can,” Taro finally added in, breaking the eternal silence that, in reality, only lasted fifteen seconds or so.

Aina cleared her throat, nodding quickly. ”Maybe I should too then,” she concurred. ”I’ll see you in the morning.”

”Goodnight,” Taro finally said before stepping away and down the hall to turn into the next corridor.

Aina let out a tensed breath of air when she saw him leave, appearing to take a moment to stare at the wall opposite of her doorway in thought until she retreated slowly back inside. Inside was the ever familiar bed that she slept on, slipping in under the cot that was directly above herself. She wasn’t going to sleep just yet it seemed; indeed, she was still fully dressed and spent at least five minutes staring up at the underside of the bed above herself, still in thought. The rest of the room was pretty quiet too, most people either already asleep or being considerate for those who have already fallen asleep and keeping their own activities quiet. All that could be heard was the waves crashing non-stop against the sides of the Artemis during the rough storm that never seemed to end.

Return to International Incidents