NATION

PASSWORD

Schmetternde Schwerter (CLOSED, OOC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Murovanka
Minister

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:05 am

OOC: XD retcon retcon what Sylva said, muh boy is not done yet! Sorry bout that :P

Sonneborn took the pen into his hand, looking warily at the pair in front of him- that's how he saw it. It was clearly no three-way talk; this was both of them against him, that much was obvious. But with the Sylvan leaders' clearly restrained presentation today, he felt he could push for more. The Wankan chancellor carefully placed the pen on the table.

"This treaty needs to ensure peace on the Casaterran continent once and for all, and this treaty is still far from satisfactory for Wanka. We recognize the complex mechanisms and power players involved, however, and as such will keep our demands to the minimum."

"For one, regardless of the outcome of the referendum, we would like a pledge from Aemen and Sylva that Saxony, in whatever form it may be, will not be drawn into a military alliance of any kind, whether it may be defensive and offensive. Wanka, too, will pledge not to deploy troops or any offensive weaponry to Saxony in case the people decide to accede to it. Saxony shall become a peaceful, demilitarized buffer zone, if you will.

"Furthermore, Wanka will formally annex the western Saxon salient centered around Zwickau into Wanka. This is in consideration for our security, as Zwickau is barely an hours drive away from our main industrial center in Hessen. Wanka has lived in constant fear for decades from a possible enemy attack into such a vulnerable area in the Wankan heartland and for peace to be enduring, the Wankan people need to feel secure in their homeland. In contrast, only under five hundred thousand people inhabit that portion of Saxony; they will be given open, unhindered access to the rest of Saxony and will be able to retain their citizenship.

"With Zwickau an open city, it would be beneficial to both sides for the betterment of future relations and improved interconnection between our estranged peoples. If these basic conditions are not met, Wanka cannot assure that peace will last for long in our part of the world."
Your moderate, peaceful Salafi-German-Turko nation, promoter of peace, justice and democracy
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Aemen
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aemen » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:25 am

The Prince leaned in, listening to Sonneborn's words. Calm as he was, Ivan grated his teeth behind closed lips; the Chancellor's demands were beginning to get on his nerves. He cracked a half-smile, admiring the Chancellor's use of his people's fears, real or not, to try and sway the meeting. “Forgive me, Chancellor, but I do believe that having Wanka annex part of Saxony will send a mixed message. At the moment, we are deciding on the nation's future with the intention to give it back to its people, were we to suddenly start dividing up and occupying different parts of it for security purposes, despite the fact we will have all pledged not to deploy troops to Saxony for the purpose of maintaining peace, then it becomes a slippery slope in the eyes of the international community and the Saxons themselves. Whilst I am in support of something of a buffer zone that you describe, I find your second request incredibly difficult to accommodate, despite the benefits the citizens of Zwickau and its outlying area will still be given.”

Ivan took a quick glance at the antique grandfather clock in the corner of the room, checking the time, before going back to the Chancellor. “However, I never like sour negotiations and I consider myself a gracious host, so I propose, for the area in question, that the TDF runs a separate sub-referrendum to decide whether the population of Zwickau truly wants to join Wanka, with all advantages you mentioned, Chancellor. To ensure the vote isn't manipulated at the last minute, the count will be held alongside the main one at the TDF's temporary headquarters in Dresden. I hope you find that satisfactory, Chancellor.”

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 am

The Wankan leader smiled back. "If only our Kaiser could have said the same at Hessen, Prince Ivan. Think about it for a second. An entire state forcefully separated from its motherland. Billions in war reparations which destroyed the Wankan economy. All colonies- stripped. All we ask for, now, is to be given back a fraction of what had been taken. I'd say it is not we who are not accommodating, it is not I who is 'souring' the discussion."

"You do not understand," Sonneborn's face grew tenser, "what this is about. Hessen and its surroundings are home to over five million Wankans and accounts for the single most valuable economic zone feeding much of the country. Yet it is vulnerable to be taken hostage by foreign players... vulnerable to the war hawks of the Septentrion Leagues, vulnerable to the missiles of a possibly hostile nation-state. The same situation is not faced by Sylva, who have hundreds of kilometers of Saxony, mountains plus vast grasslands until we meet something of value.

"We're looking for a peaceful solution, are we not? This will only be obtained by leveling the strategic playing field that the League has tried so hard to destroy. Until then, as long as guns have to be deployed on the borders, such peace will not exist and the threat of war will still exist for generations to come.

"I will agree to the separate referendum including the direct accession option for the Zwickau districts. However, regardless of the outcome, I request that the district come under nominal Wankan control, essentially only including the presence of border guards and spectator positions in the administration. Whichever government is chosen will be allowed to operate freely and Wankan forces will not interfere, as long as their status, rights and the security of Wanka is not threatened. I believe that this is an acceptable compromise for all sides."

OOC: My apologies if I'm dragging it out for too long.
Your moderate, peaceful Salafi-German-Turko nation, promoter of peace, justice and democracy
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Aemen
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Aemen » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:33 am

Ivan cradled his chin with his thumb and index finger as Sonneborn continued his speech. All the talk of snatching states and economic downfall was tempting the Prince to make a comment about the Sellenland. However, Ivan knew better and Sonneborn's rage would pale in comparison to his father's wrath, should he behave in such a manner. “Thank goodness we no longer live in such times, Chancellor. I would have thought we'd have moved past the attitudes of what we once were, Aemen was once the centre of a glorious aspiring empire as well under my ancestors, an empire built on the corpse of every enemy soldier and oiled with their blood. However, those times are gone, long gone, and diplomacy has taken the place from war as the prime tool for solving disputes.”

“I must admit, Chancellor, I am somewhat perplexed as to your demands. I'm sure Mr. De La Calle is open to the idea of a demilitarised Saxony, as am I, and we would be more than happy to agree to such a term. However, you then go on to say that, after this measure is put in place, Wanka would be vulnerable to the League's antagonisations. Would this happen to be an issue of trust when it comes to the League's leadership on keeping to their word?”

Ivan sighed, finishing off the last of his glass of whiskey. “In any case, your idea of a minimum amount of Wankan influence in the Zwickau region is moderate enough for me to support. As long as the Saxon government, whatever it becomes, maintains its independence in domestic matters, then I see no dire issues arising in the near future. Mr. De La Calle, what do you say?”

OOC: Not at all, it will all be one post anyway. Might as well make sure we cover every angle possible.
Last edited by Aemen on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Do keep in mind that Sylva owns about a third of Wanka right now...we haven't talked about the Seine Valley at all

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Nova Sylva wrote:Do keep in mind that Sylva owns about a third of Wanka right now...we haven't talked about the Seine Valley at all

OOC (for ease of compiling the posts later on): Erm... what would you like to do with that? Annex? Don't worry though, that'll be the last of Sonneborns demands. Actually, bring it up in the negotations!

"So it seems, Prince Ivan, but the League hasn't seemed to learn that. With the repeated intentional undermining of the Wankan nation, and with the most recent war they've caused- we were not the ones who launched that bizarre first strike- I'd say that our fears are more than justified." Sonneborn commented, before sitting back to await the Sylvan ministers' response.
Last edited by Murovanka on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:39 am

OOC: Syl, posting for you if you don't mind, just came up with this idea.

De La Calle looked visibly uncomfortable, having to face, what in his opinion was an extremely un-diplomatic barrage of accusations from Sonneborn who barely seemed to acknowledge his existence. Nevertheless, he did come to Erus to look for a solution to the longstanding conflict, and he was well aware that compromises would have to be made.

"I will agree to the minimal Wankan presence, but only on this condition." The First Minister pointed at the map, at the land route through Wanka that would be supplying the TDF. He knew that Sonneborn believed himself to hold leverage over the TDF; in case it stepped out of its jurisdiction or mandate, or otherwise did something which threatened himself and Wanka, he thought he could easily cut the TDF off and force it to surrender. "Until the TDF's mandate expires, Sylva will hold the stretch of Wankan land in the Cloysteric Highlands lying between Sylva and the TDF supply route." Essentially, this would mean that the TDF route would be the new border for the time being, and if Sonneborn tried anything provoking, he would also have to deal with angry COSAF soldiers standing armed and ready on the other side of the road.

Sonneborn shook his head. "That amounts to illegal, unjustified occupation of our lands. We cannot permit that. You're in no good position to negotiate, I have over a million reinforcements moving in on your troops..."

"... half of which the League will have put out of action before you reach Sylvan borders." the First Minister finished. "Our troops are in Zwickau and are commanding a damn good position, and you know it, Sonneborn. In addition, we have the entire Seine Valley in our hands, and could grab Schwaben any time we want to. But enough of that," he said firmly, as Sonneborn was clearly looking to interrupt,"we have come to look for a peaceful solution, and this we will not arrive at with senseless threats and comparisons of how many men we're willing to throw to their deaths. Consider our offer. We will peacefully pull back within the next three months, Sylva has little interest in keeping those territories."

The Wankan chancellor seemed taken aback by the sudden surge of words by the as of yet quiet First Minister, but he quickly recovered. "On the condition that League forces completely pull out within a week after the TDF's mandate expires. If this doesn't happen, we will treat the presence of Sylvan troops on Wankan soil as a direct invasion."
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Aemen
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Aemen » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:43 am

Ivan scratched his chin as the two leaders had their first direct negotiation with each other, as opposed to himself speaking on behalf of De La Calle to Sonneborn. “We can put the logistics for such a move in place a week before the voting day so that there are no delays. I doubt those soldiers' families will want them to remain in a foreign country for longer than they need to. I am sure my father will consider helping with your forces' departure should they need it, Mr. De La Calle.”

The Prince gestured toward the pen that Sonneborn had set down on the table, urging the Wankan to consider his next move. “Chancellor, should you have any other demands you deem necessary and appropriate to make, then know that I am still open to hearing them and discussing them with yourself and Mr. De La Calle. However, I do believe we have covered all issues thus far, as such I'd like to push for you to agree to the conditions, both original and recently added, of the document in front of you so that we can begin implementation of the TDF, organise the mechanics of the Sylvan withdrawal from the Cloysteric Highlands and lay the foundations for minimal Wankan involvement in the region of Zwickau.”
Last edited by Aemen on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:14 am

Sonneborn hesitated yet again, picking up the pen and was about to sign the paper when he stopped, thinking. The atmosphere in the room was tense, there was no doubt about it, with both Prince Ivan and De La Calle, and secretly also Sonneborn, wanting to finally put an end to the bloodshed- while trying to come out as favourably as possible from the war which had claimed over a hundred thousand lives, the majority civilians.

Finally, the Wankan chancellor relented. There was nothing more to say; he had gotten more or less what he came for, albeit at a slight cost. He believed, and as it turned out, rightly so, that he could use this to his advantage and turn a military loss into a political victory. Sonneborn put pen to paper and signed, the other two men looking relieved as he finished, and looked up. However, he didn't pass the pen on to De La Calle; as if to spurn the Sylvan one last time, he handed the pen back to Ivan, while staring straight, coldly, at De La Calle.
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:16 pm

This looks good. So...as for our next RP...I'm thinking we reignite the Sellenland conflict. I know Wanka is still working with Chen in his RP, so perhaps after that. I could never build up much interest with anyone for Hochverrat or The Place That God Forgot.

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:53 am

I've compiled the posts and added a bit on the end, I hope it's alright. Feel free to change title/whatever else that needs fixing. Aemen, could you then post this on the IC, since you were the one conducting it?

A Fragile Conclusion

The cameras began flashing as the Luftwanka aircraft, carrying Wankan chancellor Heinrich Sonneborn and his entourage, touched down. For over twenty four hours, no shot had been fired all along the war fronts, yet up in the air, a storm was brewing. Reporters and journalists were braving the strong winds to tell the world of this historic meeting. Amongst them Wankan and Sylvan journalists, each spreading their own respective propaganda agendas in their countries. Yet today, they were filmed greeting and shaking hands, and sharing a joke or two- it was obvious that they were both relieved of the arrival of what could be the end of the monthlong war which had claimed so many lives.

The stony-faced chancellor wasted no time on the tarmac. Quickly followed by foreign minister von Preisen, two other senior officials and six KKK bodyguards, he climbed into the cars that Prince Ivan had laid ready. The cars sped off to Taivin Castle. Only half an hour later, Sylvan First Minister Stephen de la Calle did the same. At the castle, stiff greetings were exchanged between the two leaders, reporters commenting excitedly on their rather cold facial expressions as they disappeared into the conference room. Meanwhile, outside, the Wankan and Sylvan missions waited, papers at ready and prepared to contact home for anything in case their leader came out for assistance.

Sonneborn began almost immediately without giving Prince Ivan a chance to start the introduction.

"The first and foremost condition for peace," he began in flawless, loud and clear english, while staring into the eyes of de la Calle, "is that Sylva, on behalf of the Septentrion League, takes responsibility and apologizes for starting the war and pledges not to undertake any more aggression toward the People's Republic. It was Sylva that inducted Saxony, a state robbed off Wanka half a century ago, into the League so that it could offensively deploy military assets to invade Wanka. It was Sylva and the League that started the war with an aggressive and illegal first strike on Wanka, and it was Sylvan troops which first stepped foot on Wankan soil. The suffering that the people of Wanka had to endure due to the Sylvan war of aggression, has been immense. However, we recognize the need for enduring peace and stability on the continent and to ensure mutual understanding and respect for each other, we only demand a meagre $100 billion NSD in war reparations."

De La Calle remained calm, staying firmly in his seat in contrast to the Wankan chancellor who was nearly shouting. His demands were as expected, and Sylva was willing to concede that.

“The League will admit to precipitating the war by launching preemptive first strikes due to threatening Wankan behaviour.” the First Minister responded, “yet we will not bow to the senseless ‘war reparations’ demand of yours. The only nation that deserves reparations would be Saxony, and Sylva would only be too willing to provide the funds to help rebuild it.”

“Wanka will, too.” Sonneborn replied, not further pressing his request. He had heard what he wanted to hear.

Ivan watched the two leaders exchange their diplomatic styles, impressed with how De La Calle handled the loud Sonneborn's sudden demands. The Prince reached over the table, picking up a bottle of the brandy and a glass to contain it, before pouring himself a few drops. “I'm glad we're finding common ground so quickly. It's important that we're able to do so because it means we are genuinely dedicated to ending this without losing more lives, but you both know that anyway.”

Ivan positioned the document that held the Ceasefire and Aftermath Measures in front of him, resting his hands on top of it. “Now, if you're happy with the current state of the ceasefire terms, with that new addition made by you Mr. De La Calle, then we can move on to the aftermath, which will be somewhat trickier. I think we're all in agreement when I say that the conflict has stoked tensions in Saxony to an incredibly high point and the subsequent loss of most of its standing professional army means that we, as Saxony's neighbours, will have to intervene and prevent the country from collapsing under its wounds and the exploitive nature of opportunists. What I'm asking, gentlemen, is if you are prepared to accept the Transitional Deterrent Force, the conditions of its creation and recognise it as the interim executive body in Saxony until such time a referendum is organised and completed.”

“The League welcomes the Aemen offer and recognizes the necessity of such a force.” responded De La Calle. Aemen was in good ties with Sylva- why should they object? Wanka, on the other hand, had their reasons to be suspicious, and that not only because of their conflict over the Sellenland. It was supposed to be a trinational force, and they were permitted to deploy troops to Wankan-majority areas, so on the surface it seemed like an OK deal.

In addition, the Aemen ground supply line ran through Wankan territory. Sonneborn believed that if he wanted to and if the Aemen broke some agreement, he could simply cut their forces off from the mainland.

“I have just one request: that a date be set for the referendum and the expiration of the mandate of the TDF over Saxony. The referendum should take place and the transition to the new government, if necessary, take place by the end of this month, April. The TDF’s mandate will end two weeks after the referendum is held. The TDF, regardless of the developments on the ground, will disband by the 1st of June.”

Ivan didn't flinch at Sonneborn's request; he knew that even though one month was enough time to secure most of Saxony's private assets for himself, usurping the title of duke would take a little longer and the TDF's lifespan was an essential part of the Prince's plan, as was the outcome of the referendum it was created to facilitate. “One month is an incredibly short amount of time, Chancellor. The logistics of simply moving troops into Saxony will take two weeks at least, setting up the voting centres for the referendum and ensuring stability throughout the nation will be a time-consuming process. It's better to take a longer amount of time and do the job right as opposed to doing it as quickly as possible and leaving Saxony in a half-democratic and politically unstable mess.”

Ivan placed his hand on the stack of papers next to him, containing statistics from the war. “I haven't even mentioned all the displaced and the refugees we will have to resettle by the deadline to ensure as many Saxons as possible get a voice in the future of their country. I'm asking you to consider three months maximum as the alternative, Chancellor. That way, we can ensure there are no extreme elements remaining in Saxony, its citizens are resettled and safe and its alternatives to Duke Mattin and the Council are presented clearly with as much information as possible.”

De La Calle nodded in agreement. "A month for such a large and important operation is unrealistic. We have millions of refugees in both our nations, and they all need to be given a chance to return to their country. And not only that," he added, "they will need to be fed and given shelter. We're talking about one of the most difficult humanitarian operations on Casaterra that will have to be carried out."

"Which is your fault, De La Calle. If I could have it my way, you would be standing trial in an international war crimes tribunal." replied Sonneborn. "However, the point is valid. Two and a half months should be more than enough. Can we agree that the TDF expires on the 1st of July?"

Ivan nodded with a smile. It was less time than he'd wanted, but enough to work with. He knew to push Sonneborn for any further extension on the TDF would result in the Wankan leader throwing his toys out of the pram, so to speak. “Thank you Chancellor, the 1st of July should be plenty of time and I intend to keep you both informed of our progress once my father has officiated the Force's creation. After that, I request you send in proposals to me for District Commanders in Saxony for the areas we've agreed to place under your respective control, they'll act as your ambassadors to me as well as commanding officers for your stationed troops. I'll be shuffling them as well as Aemen officials into the TDF's command structure by the end of the week.”

Ivan sipped again from his glass, happy with the meeting's outcome and producing a fountain pen from his jacket's breast pocket. “Now, if you're both content with the conditions and the new additions to them, then I believe all that is left is for you both to sign the Ceasefire and Aftermath Measures alongside my own signature. It will be sent immediately to Olbridge Castle from here, where my father will then give royal assent to the TDF's creation bill in conjunction with this one.”

Ivan held out the pen to Sonneborn first, aware that getting his writing onto the paper was the biggest hurdle. “Chancellor, if you'd be so kind.”

Sonneborn took the pen into his hand, looking warily at the pair in front of him- that's how he saw it. It was clearly no three-way talk; this was both of them against him, that much was obvious. But with the Sylvan leaders' clearly restrained presentation today, he felt he could push for more. The Wankan chancellor carefully placed the pen on the table.

"This treaty needs to ensure peace on the Casaterran continent once and for all, and this it is still far from satisfactory for Wanka. We recognize the complex mechanisms and power players involved, however, and as such will keep our demands to the minimum."

"For one, regardless of the outcome of the referendum, we would like a pledge from Aemen and Sylva that Saxony, in whatever form it may be, will not be drawn into a military alliance of any kind, whether it may be defensive and offensive. Wanka, too, will pledge not to deploy troops or any offensive weaponry to Saxony in case the people decide to accede to it. Saxony shall become a peaceful, demilitarized buffer zone, if you will.

"Furthermore, Wanka will formally annex the western Saxon salient centered around Zwickau into Wanka. This is in consideration for our security, as Zwickau is barely an hours drive away from our main industrial center in Hessen. Wanka has lived in constant fear for decades from a possible enemy attack into such a vulnerable area in the Wankan heartland and for peace to be enduring, the Wankan people need to feel secure in their homeland. In contrast, only under five hundred thousand people inhabit that portion of Saxony; they will be given open, unhindered access to the rest of Saxony and will be able to retain their citizenship.

"With Zwickau an open city, it would be beneficial to both sides for the betterment of future relations and improved interconnection between our estranged peoples. If these basic conditions are not met, Wanka cannot assure that peace will last for long in our part of the world."

The Prince leaned in, listening to Sonneborn's words. Calm as he was, Ivan grated his teeth behind closed lips; the Chancellor's demands were beginning to get on his nerves. He cracked a half-smile, admiring the Chancellor's use of his people's fears, real or not, to try and sway the meeting. “Forgive me, Chancellor, but I do believe that having Wanka annex part of Saxony will send a mixed message. At the moment, we are deciding on the nation's future with the intention to give it back to its people, were we to suddenly start dividing up and occupying different parts of it for security purposes, despite the fact we will have all pledged not to deploy troops to Saxony for the purpose of maintaining peace, then it becomes a slippery slope in the eyes of the international community and the Saxons themselves. Whilst I am in support of something of a buffer zone that you describe, I find your second request incredibly difficult to accommodate, despite the benefits the citizens of Zwickau and its outlying area will still be given.”

Ivan took a quick glance at the antique grandfather clock in the corner of the room, checking the time, before going back to the Chancellor. “However, I never like sour negotiations and I consider myself a gracious host, so I propose, for the area in question, that the TDF runs a separate sub-referrendum to decide whether the population of Zwickau truly wants to join Wanka, with all advantages you mentioned, Chancellor. To ensure the vote isn't manipulated at the last minute, the count will be held alongside the main one at the TDF's temporary headquarters in Dresden. I hope you find that satisfactory, Chancellor.”

The Wankan leader smiled back. "If only our Kaiser could have said the same at Hessen, Prince Ivan. Think about it for a second. An entire state forcefully separated from its motherland. Billions in war reparations which destroyed the Wankan economy. All colonies- stripped. All we ask for, now, is to be given back a fraction of what had been taken. I'd say it is not we who are not accommodating, it is not I who is 'souring' the discussion."

"You do not understand," Sonneborn's face grew tenser, "what this is about. Hessen and its surroundings are home to over five million Wankans and accounts for the single most valuable economic zone feeding much of the country. Yet it is vulnerable to be taken hostage by foreign players... vulnerable to the war hawks of the Septentrion Leagues, vulnerable to the missiles of a possibly hostile nation-state. The same situation is not faced by Sylva, who have hundreds of kilometers of Saxony, mountains plus vast grasslands until we meet something of value.

"We're looking for a peaceful solution, are we not? This will only be obtained by leveling the strategic playing field that the League has tried so hard to destroy. Until then, as long as guns have to be deployed on the borders, such peace will not exist and the threat of war will still exist for generations to come.

"I will agree to the separate referendum including the direct accession option for the Zwickau districts. However, regardless of the outcome, I request that the district come under nominal Wankan control, essentially only including the presence of border guards and spectator positions in the administration. Whichever government is chosen will be allowed to operate freely and Wankan forces will not interfere, as long as their status, rights and the security of Wanka is not threatened. I believe that this is an acceptable compromise for all sides."

Ivan cradled his chin with his thumb and index finger as Sonneborn continued his speech. All the talk of snatching states and economic downfall was tempting the Prince to make a comment about the Sellenland. However, Ivan knew better and Sonneborn's rage would pale in comparison to his father's wrath, should he behave in such a manner. “Thank goodness we no longer live in such times, Chancellor. I would have thought we'd have moved past the attitudes of what we once were, Aemen was once the centre of a glorious aspiring empire as well under my ancestors, an empire built on the corpse of every enemy soldier and oiled with their blood. However, those times are gone, long gone, and diplomacy has taken the place from war as the prime tool for solving disputes.”

“I must admit, Chancellor, I am somewhat perplexed as to your demands. I'm sure Mr. De La Calle is open to the idea of a demilitarised Saxony, as am I, and we would be more than happy to agree to such a term. However, you then go on to say that, after this measure is put in place, Wanka would be vulnerable to the League's antagonisations. Would this happen to be an issue of trust when it comes to the League's leadership on keeping to their word?”

Ivan sighed, finishing off the last of his glass of whiskey. “In any case, your idea of a minimum amount of Wankan influence in the Zwickau region is moderate enough for me to support. As long as the Saxon government, whatever it becomes, maintains its independence in domestic matters, then I see no dire issues arising in the near future. Mr. De La Calle, what do you say?”

"So it seems, Prince Ivan, but the League hasn't seemed to learn that. With the repeated intentional undermining of the Wankan nation, and with the most recent war they've caused- we were not the ones who launched that bizarre first strike- I'd say that our fears are more than justified." Sonneborn commented, before sitting back to await the Sylvan ministers' response.

De La Calle looked visibly uncomfortable, having to face, what in his opinion was an extremely un-diplomatic barrage of accusations from Sonneborn who barely seemed to acknowledge his existence. Nevertheless, he did come to Erus to look for a solution to the longstanding conflict, and he was well aware that compromises would have to be made.

"I will agree to the minimal Wankan presence, but only on this condition." The First Minister pointed at the map, at the land route through Wanka that would be supplying the TDF. He knew that Sonneborn believed himself to hold leverage over the TDF; in case it stepped out of its jurisdiction or mandate, or otherwise did something which threatened himself and Wanka, he thought he could easily cut the TDF off and force it to surrender. "Until the TDF's mandate expires, Sylva will hold the stretch of Wankan land in the Cloysteric Highlands lying between Sylva and the TDF supply route." Essentially, this would mean that the TDF route would be the new border for the time being, and if Sonneborn tried anything provoking, he would also have to deal with angry COSAF soldiers standing armed and ready on the other side of the road.

Sonneborn shook his head. "That amounts to illegal, unjustified occupation of our lands. We cannot permit that. You're in no good position to negotiate, I have over a million reinforcements moving in on your troops..."

"... half of which the League will have put out of action before you reach Sylvan borders." the First Minister finished. "Our troops are in Zwickau and are commanding a damn good position, and you know it, Sonneborn. In addition, we have the entire Seine Valley in our hands, and could grab Schwaben any time we want to. But enough of that," he said firmly, as Sonneborn was clearly looking to interrupt,"we have come to look for a peaceful solution, and this we will not arrive at with senseless threats and comparisons of how many men we're willing to throw to their deaths. Consider our offer. We will peacefully pull back within the next three months, Sylva has little interest in keeping those territories."

The Wankan chancellor seemed taken aback by the sudden surge of words by the as of yet quiet First Minister, but he quickly recovered. "On the condition that League forces completely pull out within a week after the TDF's mandate expires. If this doesn't happen, we will treat the presence of Sylvan troops on Wankan soil as a direct invasion."

Ivan scratched his chin as the two leaders had their first direct negotiation with each other, as opposed to himself speaking on behalf of De La Calle to Sonneborn. “We can put the logistics for such a move in place a week before the voting day so that there are no delays. I doubt those soldiers' families will want them to remain in a foreign country for longer than they need to. I am sure my father will consider helping with your forces' departure should they need it, Mr. De La Calle.”

The Prince gestured toward the pen that Sonneborn had set down on the table, urging the Wankan to consider his next move. “Chancellor, should you have any other demands you deem necessary and appropriate to make, then know that I am still open to hearing them and discussing them with yourself and Mr. De La Calle. However, I do believe we have covered all issues thus far, as such I'd like to push for you to agree to the conditions, both original and recently added, of the document in front of you so that we can begin implementation of the TDF, organise the mechanics of the Sylvan withdrawal from the Cloysteric Highlands and lay the foundations for minimal Wankan involvement in the region of Zwickau.”

Sonneborn hesitated yet again, picking up the pen and was about to sign the paper when he stopped, thinking. The atmosphere in the room was tense, there was no doubt about it, with both Prince Ivan and De La Calle, and secretly also Sonneborn, wanting to finally put an end to the bloodshed- while trying to come out as favourably as possible from the war which had claimed over a hundred thousand lives, the majority civilians.

Finally, the Wankan chancellor relented. There was nothing more to say; he had gotten more or less what he came for, albeit at a slight cost. He believed, and as it turned out, rightly so, that he could use this to his advantage and turn a military loss into a political victory. Sonneborn put pen to paper and signed, the other two men looking relieved as he finished, and looked up. However, he didn't pass the pen on to De La Calle; as if to spurn the Sylvan one last time, he handed the pen back to Ivan, while staring straight, coldly, at De La Calle.

Not a word was spoken as the document was signed by the First Minister. Nobody said anything as the three men exited the room and entered the press conference room, where Prince Ivan formally announced the success of the Erus Accords and with that, the ending of the Saxon War- to loud cheers from millions watching from all over the world. The three men tersely shook hands and answered several questions from the press before the leaders left Aemen for home. To ready themselves, once again, for the next propaganda and political onslaught that they would face or orchestrate.

This post was written by Aemen, Murovanka and Sylva.
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:01 am

And here's the agreement, wrote it out in this form so we can refer to articles separately. Do change anything if I got something wrong.

THE ERUS ACCORDS

1. Immediate ceasefire along all fronts and withdrawal of all military personnel and equipment to agreed lines and cease hostilities against all enemy combatants and citizens
    • Wanka will withdraw all of the aforementioned from Saxon territory
    • Sylva will withdraw all of the aforementioned from Saxony and Wanka
    • Aemen will ensure that both sides will be held to the conditions of the ceasefire and will establish a temporary military presence within Saxony to oversee the deconstruction of all hostilities and assist where necessary
  2. Ordering of all militant allies to stand down and desist
  3. Release of all prisoners of war and ensuring of their safe return to their native countries
    • Date, location and exchange are to be decided on at a later date
    • Deadline for the repatriation of all POWs is set at the 1st May
  4. Ceasing of all provocative rhetoric concerning the future of Saxony
  5. Public admission of responsibility and apology by Sylva and involved League nations for causing the war
  6. Pledge not to include Saxony in any offensive or defensive military alliance
    • Sylva will not draw Saxony into any military alliance
    • Wanka will, in case of accession of Saxony, pledge not to deploy any offensive weaponry to Saxony
  7. Provide safe access, delivery and distribution of humanitarian aid where necessary
  8. Suspension of all Saxon government officials and military personnel from their roles
  9. Creation of the tri-national Transitional Deterrence Force to oversee the interim period from the end of the Saxon War to its new government, consisting of Aemen, Wanka and Sylva and headed by Prince Ivan
    • Authorizing the stationing of troops, predominantly by Aemen, in Saxony to avoid exacerbation of political and ethnic groups within Saxony
    • Authorizing the stationing of personnel by Wanka and Sylva to areas where their ethnicities are most prominent in
    • Expiration of the TDF mandate over Saxony is set at the 1st July
  10. Setting up of a provisional regime by the TDF
    • Full authority, including executive powers, will be handed to the TDF
    • Provision of the majority of TDF civilian and regime personnel will be Aemen to avoid exacerbation of tensions within Saxony
    • Organization of humanitarian aid efforts and returning refugees
    • The regime’s mandate will end two weeks after the referendum is held
  11. Holding of a nationwide referendum to determine the future model of government of Saxony
    • Options will include:
      • Remain a Duchy with a constitutional monarch as head of state
      • Change to a republic
      • Follow the Wankan system of government
    • Holding of referendum will take place on 15th June by the latest
    • All citizens of Saxony above the age of 18 will be eligible to vote
  12. Authorization for Wanka to indefinitely maintain a minimal degree of influence in Zwickau and the territory between it and the Wankan border
    • Citizens will have the options of choosing Wankan or Saxon citizenship
    • Zwickau will remain a free city and Wanka will allow for unhindered movement between Saxony and areas under the Wankan sphere of influence
    • Wanka will not intervene in the local administration unless Wankan national security is threatened

Signed:
Heinrich Sonneborn
Stephen de la Calle

Chancellor of Wanka
First Minister of Sylva

Prince Ivan of Aemen
Arbiter
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:03 am

Thanks Aemen, and thanks to all who participated. It's been an amazing four months and four IC weeks, with over 70,000 words and around 300,000 casualties, along with an ending more bizarre than the post-WW2-Germany situation. Will work on the IIwiki page on this when I have time; feel free to make any edits. What happens next in our godforsaken region is for now left open- looking forward to a possible continuation of this story.

To Septentrion! :bow:
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 pm

Murovanka wrote:Thanks Aemen, and thanks to all who participated. It's been an amazing four months and four IC weeks, with over 70,000 words and around 300,000 casualties, along with an ending more bizarre than the post-WW2-Germany situation. Will work on the IIwiki page on this when I have time; feel free to make any edits. What happens next in our godforsaken region is for now left open- looking forward to a possible continuation of this story.

To Septentrion! :bow:

Huzzah! Now, about the Sellenland...
Last edited by Nova Sylva on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:49 am

Nova Sylva wrote:
Huzzah! Now, about the Sellenland...

That's mine for now :twisted:
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Aemen
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Aemen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:49 am

We'll get to that later. For now, I'm looking forward to conducting a conflict in the shadows of Saxony's halls of power, which will make a change from our conventional warfare stories.

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Aemen wrote:We'll get to that later. For now, I'm looking forward to conducting a conflict in the shadows of Saxony's halls of power, which will make a change from our conventional warfare stories.

Sounds good. Did you get my TG?

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Hey all I greatly apologize for my sudden absence. Life caught up to me in many ways and that stress on-top of the stress of keeping up with NS got to be too much to handle all at once so I had to take a few steps back. I am thinking about returning in a very limited way (although I have not decided at this time either way). Should I actual return to RP I would love to do any stand alone RPs with you all. Again sorry for disappearing, just wanted to let you know what happened to me.

Nova Sylva
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Nova Sylva » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Achesia wrote:Hey all I greatly apologize for my sudden absence. Life caught up to me in many ways and that stress on-top of the stress of keeping up with NS got to be too much to handle all at once so I had to take a few steps back. I am thinking about returning in a very limited way (although I have not decided at this time either way). Should I actual return to RP I would love to do any stand alone RPs with you all. Again sorry for disappearing, just wanted to let you know what happened to me.

Hey, its all good. Just glad to see you back :)

Ease into it if you have too, we're just glad to see you alive and kicking!

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 am

Achesia wrote:Hey all I greatly apologize for my sudden absence. Life caught up to me in many ways and that stress on-top of the stress of keeping up with NS got to be too much to handle all at once so I had to take a few steps back. I am thinking about returning in a very limited way (although I have not decided at this time either way). Should I actual return to RP I would love to do any stand alone RPs with you all. Again sorry for disappearing, just wanted to let you know what happened to me.

No worries, welcome back, situation's same with me actually. Taking a temporary break, but rn we have a diplomatic RP going on which suits me just fine- you should hop in.
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:40 am

Murovanka wrote:

No worries, welcome back, situation's same with me actually. Taking a temporary break, but rn we have a diplomatic RP going on which suits me just fine- you should hop in.

How did the other one end up?

Murovanka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:50 am

Achesia wrote:How did the other one end up?

This one? Well, the war was pretty much a stalemate, in a way. A tactical military victory for the SL, but political victory for Wanka. We have a weird situation in Saxony right now, you can read the concluding post on the IC. We're thinking of following this up with some kinda spy/political story based Saxony.
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Murovanka wrote:
Achesia wrote:How did the other one end up?

This one? Well, the war was pretty much a stalemate, in a way. A tactical military victory for the SL, but political victory for Wanka. We have a weird situation in Saxony right now, you can read the concluding post on the IC. We're thinking of following this up with some kinda spy/political story based Saxony.

That sounds fun to me.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents