NATION

PASSWORD

The Bredubar Covenant

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

The Bredubar Covenant

Postby Lyras » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:25 am

The Bredubar Covenant

Preamble:
The world mankind has forged, in blood and sorrow, is a place of rising discord and aggression, a place where charity and benevolence has been replaced by malevolence and self-interest, a place where genocide and enslavement have replaced peace and liberty, a place where tyranny and persecution increasingly replace freedom and justice, and a place where increasingly the forcible abrogation of the basic rights of man are not merely commonplace, but accepted or condoned. As we cast our eyes across the face of the Earth, we see evil, and as our ears are assailed by the pleas of the maltreated and dispossessed, so we, undaunted, raise our banners atop our bastion walls and proclaim our intent to stand unyielding.

The Bredubar Covenant, or simply “The Covenant”, is an oath of loyalty, alliance and allegiance between its signatories to broadly, inclusively and in good conscience uphold the values of Trust, Loyalty, Honour and Respect that exist between them and that are increasingly eroded in the modern world. Signed in Hall of Remembrance in the fortress-city of Bredubar, capital of the Protectorate of Lyras, the Covenant is an alliance that stands to promote these commonly held values whilst rendering to its members the greatest of bonds of solidarity and good faith, and proclaiming to all the resolution to uphold the right, whenever and wherever it is required, in accordance with each member-state’s best judgement and conscience.

1. Above all else, and in all things, act rightly, speak justly, and conduct yourself and yourselves with honour and in good conscience.
2. Honour is held not just in the individual, but in the collective. Strive for honour in your own actions, but take honour in the actions of the Covenant, and exert the greatest effort to individually and collectively not let your actions bring the Covenant into disrepute.
3. The Covenant is not a mere alliance. It is not defined by articles, rules or procedures. Member-states are expected to consider other states within the Covenant as kindred, and accordingly to afford each other the highest degrees of trust, in spirit as in letter.
4. The Covenant is a bond of brotherhood. States seeking admission to the Covenant seek the closest of affirmations and articles of faith and association. Should any signatory of the Covenant not affirm the entry of a Covenant petitioner, then the petition is not advanced. Petitions will be reviewed periodically. Acceptance must be unanimous.
5. Should a state betray the Covenant by flagrant and repeated dishonourable conduct, the Covenant may determine that their actions have dissolved the bonds of unity that exist, and, in so doing, end their participation within the Covenant. Such an ejection must be unanimous. Should such a state seek re-admission, genuine change in circumstance and behaviour is a pre-requisite for reconsideration. Acceptance must be unanimous.

The Covenant is not an alliance in the usual Nationstates sense of the word. These are people (states) who have known each other for some time, and who have consciously decided to trust each other, ICly, but, more importantly, OOCly. Which is why it’s deliberately hard to join. Everyone of the Covenant needs to be completely comfortable with each other, OOCly. Not easy, and there will, of course, be people that know each other better than others, and that’s ok… but also not quite the point. The Covenant, OOCly, is about trust. The conditions are intentionally vague, and largely non-binding, because of that IC and OOC trust.

It's also entirely possible that, given my chaotic brainspace, I've actually forgotten several members... which is embarrassing, but not unlike me... if so, please let me know, so I can edit this post...
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Delmonte
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:15 pm

The Chancellery of Foreign Nations
Of the Most Serene Republic and Grand City of Delmonte

"In Bellum Pax; Per Pax Prosperitatem."

Addressed to the Signatories of the Bredubar Covenant; Dear Sirs,

I cannot tell you how happy our noble Republic is on your behalf. Congratulations are truly in order for this momentous occasion. The Most Serene Republic is very pleased that an alliance that had always existed informally has been made formal. Formality and tradition are incredibly important to us, after all. In the absence of formality, we would all be absolutely useless. We are so happy that the Most Serene Republic and your Covenant see eye to eye on this issue.

Further congratulations is in order regarding the location of the signing ceremony. The wife and I once vacationed in Bredubar and, I must say, it was a lovely place. The people were lovely and just couldn't do enough for you. I recall that our hotel was not in the city proper, but was very satisfactory nonetheless, despite the lack of certain comforts, such as Delmontese wine. Or any wine at all. And the footmen were rather aggressive about being tipped. But those issues aside, it was quite nice. The food was very... ah, hot. Cooked completely through, without fail, every time.

The Most Serene Republic would be honored to be a member of your organization. Truly, nothing would make me happier. My hands, I'm afraid, are quite tied. You see, there are laws that prevent me from signing a Covenant of Alliance with any nation who is not an ally of Delmonte. This is a result of several laws conflicting. We would change them but, unfortunately, there are laws against that.

That being said, I'd love to be a petitioner to be a member. It's wonderful that you have a specific track through which membership is acquired. In fact, the only thing that would make me happier than being a Petitioner would be full membership, which I've already explained is impossible. This is because we are not allowed to enter into any Alliance or Covenant in which we will not be a full member.

We are, however, allowed to Observe your Alliance, which would make us very happy indeed! However, there is a great deal of administrative labor involved with that. Rest assured that we will get through all that, however, and be able to commit to an Observership status. We should have something your desk in... five to six business... years.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Ludovico Di Canossa; Foreign Chancellor
Last edited by Delmonte on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
[15:35] <Tag> I can only presume it is treasure.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
<Delmonte> Metaphorically kill their metaphorical family.
Code: Select all
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The man from Delmonte says yes.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 pm

An Announcement From The Archon of Unilisia

Written by the Grace of the Archon Herself

To: The Protectorate of Lyras
From: The Office of International Affairs of the Unilisian Imperium
Subj: Pledging the Oath

Unilisia accepts the Codes of the Bredubar Covenant and seeks to join this most esteemed association of nations. As a long-term ally of several of the states who have also accepted the Codes of the Covenant, it believes admittance to this quasi-brotherhood of states is a necessary and proper step in its international affairs.

Signed,

Her Malevolence, the Archon Enex, the Guardian of Panascenciae and the Directorate

Preserved In The Accords Of The Directorate, Recorded In Many Forms For All Eternity
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Return to International Incidents