NATION

PASSWORD

Callaban Peace Talks Underway (Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Romans

Postby Late Roman Empire » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:49 am

Marcellinus had about heard enough, even as Basilina wrote down each claim, counter-claim, etc. and the whole Ghantish folly. The Ghantish really annoyed him, because while he had tried to reach out to them, they had been concealing the degree of their reluctance to control their own territory and keep it from being a base of operations for every "free company" (private army) that wished to meddle in other nations' affairs. What kind of government didn't administer every square kilometer of its own land, provide infrastructure, law, order, etc. to the population there? It was beyond bewildering to him.

The cigar smoke also annoyed him, especially once Basilina had to walk out due to her asthma. He also recalled, after being distracted by the utter folly of the Ghantish/Edomite/Peregrino bickering, that he had read a file on Kalousdrian prepared for him by the Caesar, Titus Clemens, which had warned him that she had lung cancer, as well as news clippings from Nalayan press that confirmed it. Between that and Basilina's own trouble, he was furious.

"If I might interrupt for just a second, may I suggest that smoking be confined to smoke breaks in designated areas? My wife has asthma and the esteemed Arzhani Kalousdrian has lung cancer, which she is, I note, far too polite to reprimand anyone for. I do not wish to point fingers, but it is disconcerting to those with already sensitive lungs and those who happen to care for their health and welfare. I say this with no disrespect intended to the good Captain Esarhaddon, who was, I presume, unaware of these facts.

"I also intended to wait for my country's turn to speak its bit, but as I have already been forced to interject, let me note that my government still regards Peregrino as lawful Edomite soil, though we favor a peaceful solution based on a mutual understanding between what are essentially local and national governments. I say the former because the leadership of the PIF are largely drawn from the governing class and officials of the former provincial administration.

"I must admit that my government, perhaps naively, did not anticipate any conflict between the local elite and the new regime. We had never really experienced any rebellions, opposition, or the like, so why would we expect it when the Peregrinos were returned to the sovereignty of their mother country? We had actually anticipated a sense of relief to be back with the land that founded the colony, ancestrally speaking. Evidently, however, a great cultural gulf has grown and widened between them in the intervening years, one which we never quite considered.

"Still, we do not consider the hand-over wrong, because we had simply returned Edomite territory to New Edom, after having taken it by force in the past. This was part of the Treaty of Fineberg and its provisions, of which I have a copy that I am quite prepared to share with those who lack any such copy of said document. It is all quite legal and proper. We always intended to return Peregrino to New Edom, as witnessed by its name, which basically means 'foreign'. We never considered it Roman soil in the true sense, though this had tragic consequences under the now damned, deceased Emperor Clodius Sarmaticus, who allowed the land to be misused and neglected.

"No doubt, during much of this period was when the local administration became more independent, which is understandable. Yet it does not change the basic legal fact of national sovereignty and territorial integrity which make the island province Edomite soil by international law. We Romans do not dispute New Edom's claim, for we accepted it in transferring the colony. We simply urge that they and the Peregrinos alike seek a peaceful compromise, rather than insisting on the whole loaf at the cost of continued conflict," Marcellinus explained.

"I say this with great respect for New Edom, a country where I was Legate for more than two years. It is a fine country, whatever national quirks and flaws that it, like all nations, has. I won't even get into what the national vices of the Empire are. They are patently clear. At any rate, that is my government's position, per the Divine Augustus. We recognize Edomite sovereignty, but we urge peace and moderation, not war and destruction of life, liberty, and property."
Last edited by Late Roman Empire on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:15 am

The Mediation Table
Callaban

Siri held up a hand. "Paron, I assure you that I am quite fine. Currently I am enjoying something of a remission. Besides, it is not as though the Paron Captain can make it worse," she said with an amused smile. "Though I am appreciative of the sentiment."

The death rattle of a cough currently wasn't bothering her, mostly because she'd been drinking her coffee and that helped keep it at bay by moistening her throat. The heat was comforting as well. Ohanyan hadn't made a peep if only because the Arzhani had not made a request that he stop. Besides, one cigar was hardly as bad as Karapetyan's perpetual cigarette smoking.

She didn't disagree with the Roman either. She understood New Edom's claim just as well as the PIF's claim to their own independent land. It was a fine line to walk and not for the first time, she wondered what was going on in Perrin's head. New Edom couldn't afford to keep swinging their armed forces around. Not after all of their conflicts. The country was as unstable as ever, despite having a unified leader. It was not what Nalaya had expected of them. Nor had Anahid ever expected there would be this kind of...imperialism?...from New Edom. Had she known, she might have reconsidered that alliance.

It was an unfaithful thought, but not one Siri could prevent.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Callaban
Envoy

Founded: Dec 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Cigars

Postby Callaban » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:24 pm

[OOC]

Your delegates do not smell or suffer from the cigar.

Previously it has been established that:

"Wait! The Captain will require a filter ashtray [a suction unit vented ourside] and have the HVAC push more air into the room and concentrate the evacuation over his head [strong updraft]. We are, after all, in mixed company. OK - go now."

The Captain smelt and rolled the cigar. At the appropriate moment the Concierge struck his match; the Captain leaned very slightly into the flame which rippled slightly as the HVAC wicked the flame and smoke distinctly aloft.

The New Edomite officer leaned back and drew on his cigar and blew smoke out that almost magically drew upwards and away from the table.

Unless your 'characters' are standing over the smoking person they do not and cannot smell cigar smoke or experience any adverse affects, effects or affectations.

Callaban
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Time Passes

Postby Callaban » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:52 pm

The Maître d'Hôtel looks to the Nalayan delegation and and holds his pose at a respectable distance, until ushered forward.

"Are you to break for dinner, or shall I take orders to work though dinner? Or is it too soon? Let me know your desire in this matter and we will accomodate."

Matthew Vader is the visual representation of relaxed attention. It is as if... and is as if... his life might turn on this singular pronouncement.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Captain Ezarhaddon nodded. “Yes, Arzhani Kalousdian, I will bring the matter of investigation of illegal seizures of property to Fineberg. In fact, I will do it right now. It is perhaps a good idea to break for dinner, especially since Mr. Musa has withdrawn to contact his government.”

Then the Roman Marcellinus spoke, and the Edomites listened politely. How very Roman Elizabeth Corbulo thought. A very pretty speech that more or less reiterated what had already been said, to remind everyone of the sentiments of these negotiations. She smiled, listening. “I think no one could disagree with the pacific and lovely sentiments you have expressed, sir,” she sai.

“Agreed,” said Esarhaddon, drawing on his cigar and blowing the smoke out, which curiously drifted upward and away. “As for this matter of the Ghantish mercenaries, I hope to hear soon about that investigation. Because it does matter to us, very much, if other countries are trying actively to undermine the peace process. Lest anyone forget, that is one of my government’s chief concerns about this rebellion to begin with. Why would they try, an isolated island, unless they expected help, even now?” He held up a hand as Caracalla and Strega looked upset again. “As I ay, pending the investigation. So…dinner?”
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Callaban
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Oliver Scr1ptl1ng

Postby Callaban » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Captain Ezarhaddon had said things in such a way that direct contradiction would be a breach of basic protocol. Therefore we must prepare for dinners abroad, in hotel suites or roaming.

Why had not the Delegates supplied more information?

Oliver Scr1ptl1ng, 'I am The Maître d'Hôtel.' He mouthed. 'Je suis ici. Je suis sur mon jeu. Même si je reste, je vais rester vigilant. Je vais gérer toutes les choses comme si je les avais prévu.'

He sent the red flag up and looked forward to a coma.

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:40 am

The Mediation Table

Ninu Inogaru sat in his seat, slumped over, with a hand on his forehead, rubbing at the headache hoping it would go away, with squinty eyes and heavy sighs. A combination of the headache and this business regarding the mercs was enough to put him in an unpleasant state.

Nevertheless, he had a job to do, a duty to perform. So he perked up his ears and listened to what was being said around the Mediation Table.

Siri was the first to respond to what he had to say not too long ago. "If there is to be a full investigation, we will have to allow some time for various governments and the CPO advisors to work…if neither the Ghantish government nor the PIF have control over these mercenaries, it would stand to reason that they are indeed a third party intervening. In any case, we have other matters to attend to, such as that which led to this topic in the beginning. Paron Captain, you will bring the matter of seizure of property to the attention of FIneburg and Arzhani Pahath-Moab?"

Marcellinus was next, and went on at some length. "...I say this with great respect for New Edom, a country where I was Legate for more than two years. It is a fine country, whatever national quirks and flaws that it, like all nations, has. I won't even get into what the national vices of the Empire are. They are patently clear. At any rate, that is my government's position, per the Divine Augustus. We recognize Edomite sovereignty, but we urge peace and moderation, not war and destruction of life, liberty, and property."

Blah blah blah… Ninu thought. Leave it to a Roman to ramble on and on and on.

Esarhaddon of New Edom was next to speak. His words addressed Ninu specifically. “As for this matter of the Ghantish mercenaries, I hope to hear soon about that investigation. Because it does matter to us, very much, if other countries are trying actively to undermine the peace process. Lest anyone forget, that is one of my government’s chief concerns about this rebellion to begin with. Why would they try, an isolated island, unless they expected help, even now?...as I ay, pending the investigation. So…dinner?”

Ninu then spoke after the Edomite was finished. “Yes indeed, there will be an investigation, mark my words. We will get to the bottom of this affair and get some facts. I do honestly believe that this company would never have acted without being spurned by a foreign party. I doubt it was the Peregrinos…it would have been someone with greater means, greater ability, and greater ambition. After all, if you think about it, who would curry the support of fighting men from northern Ghant?” He paused and took a deep drink from his juice. “When the investigation gets started, we will inform the appropriate channels of the findings. In any case, I agree that dinner is in order.”

Something hot and delicious.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:33 am

As the meeting adjourned for the day, the Adirans recognized two things. First: once the grievances were aired, they hadn't accomplished much. Second: their workday wasn't over, least of all when Shadid glanced at her phone. It was the ANBC news site, first on the headlines: "Isidium Aid Workers Stripped in Peregrino." An entire plane full of them. Strauss, still lacking a smartphone, remained blissfully unaware until Shadid showed Paulsen, who then immediately handed it off to Strauss.

Strauss sort of looked, not a glare or a squint, but looked pointedly at the Edomite delegation. Did they do that on purpose? "You'd better take them," was all she said to Paulsen. That was better anyway, he had the manners for it. Both of the other Adiran delegates knew Strauss would immediately snap at the first signs of the Edomites beating around the bush...which was also a poor choice of phrase given the strip search. Of course, it was also rather unsafe to leave her around the Ghantish as well now. Best that the old mama bear be directed towards the PIF where she could commiserate.

Approaching the Edomite delegation, Paulsen bowed cordially. "Neil Paulsen, Undersecretary for Acheron Affairs. We're so tied up in procedure during the hearings, things get glossed over, missed even. In my opinion, that is likely how we hit the wall so soon. I was hoping that your delegation might join me over drinks to discuss some matters. Though you made your grievances abundantly clear, I would like to bring up the ceasefire violations you brought to our attention as well as New Edom's goals for Peregrino in greater detail."

Meanwhile, Strauss and Shadid walked over to Caracalla and Strega. In stiff but very grammatically-correct Latin, Shadid opened. "Senators, Marian Shadid, Undersecretary for Belisarian Affairs, and this is Special Envoy Strauss from the State Department. I'd like you to know that the Adiran public supports your desires for human rights and--"

"--and the desire not to be strip searched. Why don't you show the PIF delegation that article?" Strauss interrupted. Shadid flushed a bit, then pulled the article up after switching languages to Latin. Strauss continued in English "I don't imagine that's building much support for New Edom back home."

"We'd like to invite your delegation to dinner, though we hope Praetor Musa will be able to join us as well. We'd like to discuss your grievances in greater detail, including possible proposals for solutions. We'd also like to discuss the matter of the Ghantish mercenaries."
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Caracalla and Strega paused and turned towards the Adirans, and smiled politely. “Well that’s very thoughtful of you to ask. Of course we deplore the strip searches, we’re very sorry that this happened to your people. I was told by the Imperator that you can rest assured that all internationally recognized civil rights will be accorded to the Isidium volunteers who have so kindly come across the seas to help our refugees. Shameful, how they were treated.”

“Shameful,” echoed Strega, tightening her lips.

“ It’s not really our custom to discuss business over a meal, but we can certainly take a moment right now…” Caracalla began.

“Just a moment,” said Strega, raising a hand. “I was wondering if you could answer a straight question. Adirans have a reputation for honesty. It’s this: if New Edom does violate the cease fire agreement—is Adiron preparedto go to the length of declaring a state of war on New Edom, even if their allies were to support them?”

Meanwhile, Captain Esarhaddon had disposed of his cigar and was leaving with the other New Edomites. He nodded politely and said, “I believe, Undersecretary, that our aim is quite clear: Peregrino is New Edomite sovereign territory. One way or another the people there will have to recognize that and act accordingly. Though if they were to offer a compromise I’d be interested in hearing them out. Perhaps that was not made clear when we were discussing it?”
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Siri cradled her head in her hands one the delegates were filtering out, the aching tension in her jaw and temples almost unbearable. This was not going to end well. She knew that the same way she knew the sky was blue. From everything that Esarhaddon had said, she could gather that the Edomites weren't actually interested in peace. And why would they be, when they could just throw their weight around militarily and take whatever they wanted from Peregrino no matter the loss of life. She knew it was a bitter, cynical thought. However, that didn't mean it was detached from reality. Unfortunately the Adirans already had dinner plans, so she would have to wait on that.

Once the conference room was empty, or at least close enough, she fished her laptop out of her bag and opened it up. After her password, it took only a few keystrokes to open up a chat with Hravad Ardzuni, the Banak Yndhanur himself. "How is it going?" he asked by way of starting the conversation, focused attentively on his colleague and friend.

"Well, it didn't explode. But I'm reasonably certain that this is going to end in graveyards," she answered in Nalayan. Her frustration was universally apparent, however.

"There's an article you should see that the Adirans put out," Hravad said gravely, smoothing out his mustache and then rub his thumb along the dueling scar at the corner of his mouth. "It won't make you happy, but it is informative all the same. New Edom has changed under Perrin, Siri. It's time we acknowledged that."

"What is Khavar saying? I know she's watching the news and reading the reports. Hell, I'm going to have to send her one that reads 'I accomplished nothing today except for keeping the Peregrinos from storming out'," Siri said. She wasn't certain what to even hope Khavar would do.

"Nothing. The silence is unnerving," Hravad reported. He looked faintly worried, lines appearing in his brow as his eyes changed. It wasn't hard for the people who knew him to read his scarred face with its stiff expressions. "But she's doing something. She pulled all the records of peacekeeping reports from High Command for Raith Immel and Bara, plus all of the news going around, and had the Quarval-sharess and Qasim in her office for four hours. I think she's giving their arguments a lot more credence."

That didn't sound good to Siri. Well, not that it sounded bad either. It just sounded...serious. There would be a change and it would not be a small or gradual one. At least, if anything she knew about the Protector was true. "You don't think she—"

"Does one know the mind of a maelstrom?" Hravad interjected as politely as he could, shrugging his broad shoulders. "All I know is what Lledrith and Qasim want, which everyone with half an ear knows. The Mak'ur and Vatani have been leaning on Khavar since the religious debate started. And for once, the Imanalov' aren't happy."

"Wait, what?" Siri said, taken aback. She knew the Anur refused to take a stance on matters of politics because those were ultimately the realm of 'dreaming flesh' and not for mystics to consider. If they were upset about something, that would shift the opinion of the whole country. "Have the Anur said something?"

"Kishargal and Enki were here this morning," he said as confirmation. "I wasn't privy to the conversation, but I imagine they weren't here to compliment Khavar's new pet tiger. Not when this is a sacred day and they should be in contemplation off in their mountains."

Siri offered up a silent prayer to any god listening that whatever was being discussed wouldn't end in war. Khavar was a woman born with hammer in her hand and every problem was beginning to look rather like a nail. "Keep me posted. You can always text me even when the conference is going. I'll have it on silent, but I can always read the message later."

"Of course," Hravad said. "I will allow you to return to business. Until tomorrow, Arzhani?"

"Tomorrow, Ter," she confirmed before closing the chat window with a sigh. Lovely. The home front sounded even more complicated than this mess. She had a feeling the headache would only be intensifying over the course of this mediation.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:09 pm

"Declaring war on New Edom? And by allies I assume you mean the Imperium..." Shadid said, suddenly being very careful with her words. What if she gave the wrong impression?

Strauss didn't seem to hesitate. "This isn't the Undersecretary's department, I'm afraid. I can give you an honest answer: I'm sorry, Senators, but I'm afraid not. A war in Peregrino will start a war in Ceti as well. The Imperium has made it quite clear they will support New Edom's efforts against you. Even if we can provide you with some short-term gains and supplies, inevitably we'll have to focus on our own border with the Imperium."

"That is why we're trying to work as much as possible under the aegis of the CPO here, to try to reign them in a bit while we work to find a peaceful solution. It can't last forever though, they're already looking for excuses to resume hostilities. If we're going to find a peaceful solution, it must come through compromise. That's what we'd like to discuss with you in private."

"Compromise is precisely what I hoped to discuss, Captain. Odd how it didn't come up in the actual talks, wouldn't you agree?" Paulsen commented. "We can go to work on the PIF, see what their limits are, in fact...that's what my colleagues are doing right now," he continued, glancing back towards the PIF delegation.

"In my personal opinion, they probably know they can't win a war with New Edom. If they want to end up with anything at the end of this, they're going to have to play ball a little. You want an end to the fighting and to secure Edomite governance of the island, you indeed made that clear. Given what we know about the rebel militia, though, how long do you think you'd spend fishing guerrillas out of the countryside if you don't get some concessions out of them?"

Callaban
Envoy

Ex-Nation

I am The Maître d'Hôtel

Postby Callaban » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Oliver Scr1ptl1ng, spoke up 'I am The Maître d'Hôtel.' he said in a hushed theatre voice. 'Please let us know your dinner pleasure."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Strega snorted a phlegmy snort. "I see. So in other words as long as there is not too much risk you will back up the cease fire."

"Senator, please!" said Caracalla. She flushed.

"Forgive me, that was rude, but I am very tired, it was a long flight, and we have spent a lot of today just establishing what the status quo is. In the meantime the news has been changing all day, it's a lot to take in," she said apologetically. "You must surely understand our worry though. If you have any recommendations--perhaps you would like to state them over dinner? I think that the staff here want to get us ready for that, though I'd like to freshen up first..."

"It didn't come up because of the mercenary issuea and other matters," said Esarhaddon, noticing the maitr'd. He scribbled something on a card and nodded to his aide to hand it round to the others, who did likewise, and then an aide took it to Mr.
Scriptling with a polite bow and a murmured thanks. The ADC (a young naval officer in his mid twenties) also inquired politely about tipping policy. "Except in one regard--we offered full recognition of local authority and local laws. They didn't even seriously consider it. There's your compromise for you," he said with a friendly smile. "Did you have some other idea?"

Menu Card

Sparkling Water and fresh mint leaves
Palm Wine for all
Tabouleh salad
Tournedos
Caviar with blinis

After:
Captain Esarhaddon: TY KU (Asian spirit base (sake and soju), with yuzu, honeydew, mangosteen, green tea, wolfberry, and ginseng)

Undersecretary Corbulo: Sorel (clove, cassia, ginger, nutmeg, hibiscus)

Lieutenant-Colonel Havoth-Jair: Gabriel (cinnamon, apple, black pepper and peppermint)

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Strauss' eyes narrowed when she heard Strega's snide remark. 'If we asked you to fight in Ghant for us while your enemies were in Cornice, would you?' she thought.

Shadid seemed to preempt her, "If you'd prefer to discuss this in some other setting besides over dinner, that would be fine as well. We don't want you to be uncomfortable. One thing to consider is that the Edomites are still offering local rule and to keep local law on the books. Their priority still appears to be the military base."

"Undersecretary, the Senators want more than just a promise out of the Edomites about that," Strauss remarked. "An ideal peace from the Adiran perspective is one which the local customs and culture of Peregrino are respected, and the ethnic and sectarian violence is brought to an end. That would be ideal, and that is what we hope to work towards. If either side achieves control of the island by force of arms, this conflict will stew for years, decades even. If Aquila fell and Geta was captured, you wouldn't just stop fighting, would you? Do you think the Holy Cross would do the same, considering if you wrested control of Peregrino from New Edom they would simply launch another invasion?"

Shadid piped up. "...anyway, let's not keep the Senators, Special Envoy. Should we meet again later, over dinner or otherwise?"

"Well, that could be something we could work on them for you," Paulsen said, scribbling down his own order. "There was a lot lost in the heat of the moment, but it is possible that they didn't seriously consider it because they don't believe it will happen. Sometimes these disputes can last a very, very long time without a real conclusion. Look at East Klamath or Altinum. It's taken this long to decide the fate of places that changed hands in the Great War, and they look almost nothing like what they expected at the time."

"If we can offer them certain assurances that full recognition of local authority and local laws will happen, we may make some progress. Monitors and observers to keep an eye on things in the ground could help. Even if the laws are on the books, there may be fears over implementation and enforcement under Edomite rule," he continued. "If I can give them something from you, something which addresses those fears, we may be able to start bringing things together."

Menu Card

Pinot Noir
Prime Rib
Mixed Vegetables
Garlic bread

After:

Undersecretary Paulsen: Café Britt Coffee Liqueur

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Strega said severely, "How can we seriously contemplate that?" she seemed rooted to the spot. "The very organization that helped them in Bara--they stripped them and did an invasive non-consenting cavity search on one of the people who volunteered. They were only trying to help. The Boy General's government suppresses political consent and pretends not to. Oh yes, they had a test election in an area of the country that has been completely pacified and compromised. But in Gloria Regis? Pah! And that's another thing--they despise people of Cornellian descent. Nearly all Southern Acheronian nations do..."

"This probably isn't the time for this," said Caracalla firmly. "Senator, really, compose yourself, ah!" he said, "Here comes the Praetor!"

Musa had returned and looked bemused. "Vale..." he remarked, looking around.

"Vale," said Caracalla. "Senator Strega was just talking with the Special Envoy about the possibility of accepting New Edom's proposal. We did say that we don't normally talk business over dinner, but we are in Callaban, and it is an Adiran custom..."

"In that case, of course we should, Special Envoy, thank you for the offer." Musa replied. "The Edomite proposal is an...interesting one..."

"But we're worried about human rights being casually crushed beneath political necessity and so called security concerns, which they did without hesitation in Gloria Regis," growled Strega.

"And rightly so..." Musa shepherded them all towards the elevator and said, "How could we give checks and balances some real fiber, Ms. Strauss?"

Strega sighed. "I suppose we must consider the possibility..." as she got in and took a deep breath.

Captain Esarhaddon was heading towards the other part of the bank of elevators, just as the doors were closing over the Special Envoy, her companion and the Peregrinoans. "Undersecretary?"

"It's entirely possible," said Elizabeth Corbulo as she got in and nodded her smiling thanks to Lt. Colonel Havoth-Jair for holding it open, "The problem with Gloria Regis was that frankly the political leadership there was rotten with foreign intrigues to sever the protectorate from our country. If they agree to make sure that communist, feminist and anti-Christian sentiments are kept out of government, that would certainly make us more likely to give them protectorate status." Elizabeth Corbulo spoke in such a friendly, cheerful and courteous tone that she made it sound like she was ordering dessert.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 pm

The PIF

"You don't have to remind us what they did to Isidium, and you don't have to remind us of their domestic policy. That's probably what led to these calls for mediation in the first place," Strauss replied to Strega's impassioned argument as they got in the elevator.

Shadid put her hand on Strauss arm. The Special Envoy shot a glare at her, and although Shadid still had the posture of a lion tamer on her first day on the job, she held her gaze. Then the Undersecretary said "Senators, that's what our colleague is discussing with the Edomites right now: trying to find some sort of guarantee."

"Pahath-Moab's entire government is indeed based around a 'state of emergency,'" Strauss commiserated. "We know how promises can be followed in letter but not in spirit. I would propose that neutral election monitors, international press, and other political observers should be allowed free and open access to Peregrino, possibly under the aegis of the CPO. Diplomatic repercussions on New Edom would be agreed-upon beforehand if malicious neglect is detected. They're not going to just give that to us, though, we need to have something to offer. There, that's my elevator pitch, literally."

"Anyway, Senators, really, if meeting over dinner makes you uncomfortable, we can do it some other time tonight," Shadid offered, wishing Strauss would stop being so blatantly abrasive.

The Edomites

Paulsen seemed to chew on Corbulo's proposal, as though simply contemplating a crossword puzzle. "Are feminists, communists, and anti-Christians known to be part of the Peregrino Independence Front? They seem largely Christian; though their militias are hostile to Edenism they are largely Apostolic Christians in the Roman tradition. Communists...your delegation argued they represent the upper classes. Feminists? That I can't say. I also noticed you did not include Anarchism. May I ask why those three ideologies would be banned in particular?"
Last edited by Hittanryan on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:12 am

Musa reached out and pushed the hold button on the elevator. The other two senators looked at him with astonishment. “Very well, Special Envoy. I just got off the phone with the Imperator. What I’m prepared to offer on my government’s part is a partitionining of the island—what we occupy currently would become the Republic of Southern Peregrino; they could keep the north. People on either side of the island who don’t want ot live where they are for political reasons get to leave. The peacekeeping mission could continue on that basis. I think your transparency plans would be most satisfactory to my government.”

Strega raised her eyebrows but said nothing; Caracalla watched the Adirans thoughtfully to see what their reaction would be.

“Oh, I forgot the Anarchists,” said Corbulo with a soft laugh. “Naturally. But you know we wouldn’t consider them political opposition, just terrorists. Those ideologies are banned, Undersecertary, because they have been a constant source of the undermining of the peace and of our government, a thin end of a wedge by foreigners trying to take over our country. Feminists—why we have a nation of feminists just over the border who would love to seize Magna Lacuna from us.”

“There is substantial evidence that they were involved with the uprising in Gloria Regis,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Havoth-Jair.

The elevator came to a stop and the doors opened. “In any case,” said Captain Esarhaddon, “It could all be moot. Our patience is not infinite, we are not afraid of conflict, of taking losses and doing what it takes to win. Our mercy is not out of our hesitation but of our compassion. It is not in infinite supply. Are you joining us for dinner, Mr. Undersecretary?”

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:54 am

Strauss' reaction seemed to be accepting enough of the idea, giving a light shrug and replying rather nonchalantly as she and Shadid entered the elevator. "We can always float a partition plan out there. Frankly the Edomites' most immediate material concern appears to be their military base. If the island is partitioned, they can still get what they want. If it was just a matter of dollars, cents and lives, partition would probably be the quickest option. Population transfer would be messy, but I suppose if there's a will there's a way, and the peacekeepers are already there on the Line. You heard the captain though, they don't seem to see much of a reason to give any of the island up. Principle counts for a lot," Strauss said to Musa.

Shadid was a little more apprehensive, shifting just a little. The Edomites had made clear that they considered Peregrino to be Edomite soil, no bones about it. They didn't have to haggle anything if they didn't want to: mediation was a mere formality since they were entirely willing to conquer the island by force. "So Praetor, before your return, we were discussing the possibility of Peregrino receiving Edomite protectorate status. Suppose your government was given the right to local rule, but had some legal restrictions imposed upon it by New Edom? What is your line in the sand there?"

"I would like to join you for dinner, as long as I'm not imposing," Paulsen replied to the Captain. "I have little doubt that security must be an ever-present concern for your government in the wake of recent events. How many national tragedies have occurred in the past two years alone? The Second Civil War. The Hooded Man. Coordinated assassinations including regicide. Gloria Regis, as you mentioned. By all accounts, regular Edomite military forces have generally conducted themselves in accordance with all international norms of the rules of war. Contrary to Praetor Musa's claims of "weapons of mass destruction," my government has noted New Edom's relative restraint on the island."

"There's another matter which doesn't seem to get mentioned much in the papers, and that is the abuse of both civilians and prisoners of war by paramilitary forces. Although Inogaru appeared to have misspoke earlier in the day, he inadvertently brought up this rather important issue," Paulsen said gravely. "Adiran peacekeepers found impaled bodies posted on the road to Cornice, so my government can personally verify at least one claim of abuse. Whether or not this was an isolated atrocity, what's happening to your supporters on Peregrino is inexcusable. Those reports should be going public soon, though we have to hope they don't get buried by this growing media storm over the aid workers."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:25 am

“It’s possible, but not likely, undersecretary,” said Caracalla, glancing at Musa and Strega, who both nodded vvigorously. Musa pushed the elevator button again.

“How can we possibly trust then? We look to the example of Gloria Regis and Bara Province, to the occupation of Damoclea. Where is the genuine political freedom? The Interim Government imposes martial law and Compulsory Nudity at the drop of a hat. It’s unacceptable. Even with what you have proposed, there were journalists, observers and aid workers in Gloria Regis when things got out of hand,” said Musa. “Or are you advocating a longer lasting CPO mission in Peregrino, to provide teeth to the guarantees you are proposing?”

Making their way towards the restaurant, Esarhaddon said, “I’m very glad to hear the truth will come out about Peregrino. We did not start this fight, even if we are willing to finish it. I am not, and the President is not convinced yet that this was not started by provocateurs—possibly among Belisarian nations. I do not discount the possibility that these were private interests in Jedoria, Novitera, Ghant, which wanted war to keep us from having a military presence in the area. Unfortunately they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar thanks to the Ghantish incompetence, and then pulled back leaving the PIF’s asses swinging in the breeze.”

“Of course we have no actual proof we are prepared to present. Yet,” added Lieutenant-Colonel Havoth-Jair. “But we have much to be suspicious”
of.”

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:20 am

"To clarify, Praetor, in this case are you talking about an extended CPO peacekeeping mission in Peregrino as a unified Edomite protectorate?" Shadid asked hesitantly. "That would likely be an entirely separate mission from the current one, which is aimed primarily at enforcing border security. Would it be military? Would it..."

"Undersecretary, Praetor Musa is asking if it would be possible, not for an executive summary of a mission that doesn't exist yet," Strauss reminded her, cutting her off. Shadid blushed.

"Yes, the CPO may be able to fill that role," Strauss explained. "A more permanent mediation office might be created in Peregrino as a legal means of settling grievances. Observers could stay on in their current missions, and neutral non-military monitoring services might be brought on such as the election monitoring firm here in Callaban. The peacekeepers mission might switch gears, devoting all their efforts to protecting civilians from political violence."

"However, bear in mind there's a legal obstacle to using CPO peacekeepers to police the entire island: "Peacekeeping missions shall only take place where bodies in conflict agree that it should in order to maintain a neutral zone, or where humanitarian missions would otherwise be in danger." That's from the CPO charter. To save face the Edomites acquiesced to the result of the vote on the current iteration of the CPO Mission to Peregrino, but they didn't have to, and they may not in this case."

"So let me ask you something else, Praetor, Senators," Strauss said nonchalantly. "What will your government do if the Edomites reject partition out of hand?"

"There are plenty of people unhappy with the Ghantish mercenaries in Adiron as well, judging by some of the comments on that news article," Paulsen said, though as soon as he did, he wished he hadn't. Hopefully the Captain wouldn't go and check himself and find plenty of anti-Edomite sentiment as well. "The general consensus is that impersonating aid workers was grossly irresponsible, especially the way it happened. If aid workers are mistrusted, some states more paranoid than yours may bar humanitarian access entirely. Then it's the people swept up in events who suffer the more for it."

"As far as Jedoria, Novitera, and Ghant are concerned, I can't commit to any kind of action regarding them without proof. If you do have it, the sooner you present it the better," Paulsen said, trying to deflect the issue. It sounded awfully paranoid to him, but the Edomites always suspected the worst.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:54 am

"Yes," Musa said, his elegant features wrinkling a bit in a thoughtful frown. He took out a gold cigarette case, removed a cigarette and then paused. "What I was really trying to point out were the very problems that you just highlighted, Special Envoy. Short of that, there would be no real guarantee that we would be treated fairly by the Edomites, who as I have said have a history of imposing martial law at the drop of a hat."

"So let me ask you something else, Praetor, Senators," Strauss said nonchalantly. "What will your government do if the Edomites reject partition out of hand?"

"We shall probably have to fight," said Musa grimly.

"And give them the prospect of a long uneasy occupation where they can never rest their heads easily," said Strega.

"We do have some international support," added Caracalla. "Of course we held off on it because of the cease fire..."

"Undersecretary, there's problem something that most of your countrymen don't understand," said Lieutenant-Colonel Havoth-Jair. "It wasn't that it was Isidium. That was an unfortunate coincidence. The practice is not just to search people--it is to make it very clear to would be terrorists, infiltrators, and so on that we will do it. In our own culture it is understood."

"It probably could have been handled a bit better," said Captain Esarhaddon. "But it wouldn't be culture clash without discomfort."

"We actually have a few thoughts on that in my department," Elizabeth Corbulo said. "We're exploring some ideas about how to establish that it won't happen all the time..."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:55 pm

"You mean the Ghantish?" Strauss asked pointedly. "Ceasefire or not, their planes were intercepted by Edomite fighters. Their chances of reaching the island were..."

"Special Envoy, please!" Shadid said, trying to shut her prickly superior up.

"What? They asked for a bit of Adiran honesty. My point is that it wasn't the ceasefire that preempted your international support, Praetor. New Edom and...probably the Imperium, were already working to cut foreign support for your government. Even humanitarian aid to your part of the island was going to be cut off. Unless you had means of contesting their control of the air and sea, it would have been difficult to keep those lifelines open."

"Special Envoy, with due respect, this isn't your area of expertise," Shadid said.

"No? Why not? The Commoners did it to us back in '75," Strauss abruptly said, glaring at Shadid. She then lapsed into a bit of a memory dispassionately.

"They had jets in the skies and artillery on all the riverbanks. Nothing got through, at least, not in the amounts we needed. Cargo planes and river freighters couldn't sneak by, and this was before drones and new radar and all that," Strauss said, as though recalling what she had for lunch the other day.

"I was helping out in the field hospitals, no medical training, just an extra pair of arms and legs to fetch stuff. Right from the start, we were already rationing everything from syringes to bandages to anesthetic. Lost a lot of guys we might've saved otherwise. My guess is that the fighters were the same way. If we hadn't smashed up the Commoner airfields in Tau City when we did, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now, at least, not as Adirans."

"The handling really was the issue, specifically the lack of advance notification of a change in protocol," Paulsen replied to Havoth-Jair and Esarhaddon. "If it was clear from the start the aid workers would be subjected to a strip search, then I believe they would have been prepared, emotionally and mentally, for the procedure. Some who found the idea a strip search intolerable may have stayed home or transferred to a flight that passed through Aqua Vita. The Ghantish mercenaries' rotten timing, unfortunately, prompted your government to make a sudden change while they were already in transit."

"So, I am very much interested in your thoughts on the matter, Undersecretary," Paulsen said.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Musa looked exasperated. "I'm not complaining," he said, not concealing his irritation. "If you feel, Special Envoy, that I'm complaining about the cease fire, perhaps it is due to your being tired due to the journey. I was merely stating a fact--the ceasefire ended the possibility of us being reinforced, and if it ends now, we will be beaten in resources and numbers. These things are facts, which my people have to deal with. If you think I'm making a jab at Adiron, perhaps that's a guilty conscience speaking, but it is not my accusation!" He controlled himself with a visible effort.

"As for the matter of our offer of partition, it is the only one we are offering at the moment. I realize Adiron has been through its troubles--I can respect that. I also realize you were there," he said, looking at Strauss, wondering if she'd always been as sour as she was now. "With all due respect--who cares? It's our country on the line, not yours. Our country--such as it is. We've wasted enough time with minutiae, with the Ghantish blundering, with the good wishes of the leading mediators here. We have made an offer--we have one day before the New Edomites declare the cease fire to be over. Now we are taking a break for dinner. Thank you."

"My thoughts on the strip searching?" said Elizabeth Corbulo. "Well..."

Captain Esarhaddon looked suddenly tight lipped. "Undersecretary, are we really still talking about strip searching? Tell your government that the PIF have been torturing pro-Edomite militias to death. Tell them what an impaling looks like. We have pictures available, remember."

"I will, myself, wash the feet of every one of them," said Elizabeth Corbulo suddenly, putting a hand on his arm. "I don't think that you want people to suffer to any extent do you captain?"

"Of course not." Esarhaddon said. They were greeted by an elegant maitr'd and led into a fine restaurant with elegant table settings, murmuring voices of wait staff, the decor and lighting muted. Being seated, Esarhaddon sighed. "What does your government want with regard to the matter of the aid workers? Is there a policy?"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Strauss opened her mouth to speak once again, but Shadid interrupted her. "No one is saying you were making a jab at mediation or Adiron, Praetor. Special Envoy Strauss was merely trying to support her argument. I think you might be right, we've all had long flights and we're at the end of a work day."

Glancing once more at Strauss, who didn't say anything at this point, Shadid continued. "I realize this can't be easy. The partition plan makes a lot of concessions, over half of Peregrino as opposed to just enough land for a base. That's what we'll propose, and we're not going to push you. For right now though, let's break for dinner."

The Peregrinos and Adirans parted ways, and Shadid prepared to weather the barrage of grumbling and sour comments from her senior colleague. Instead she just walked in silence, though. What did that mean? Shadid couldn't help but think that Strauss was incensed, which made her annoyed as well.

Finally, convinced Strauss was going to give her the silent treatment, Shadid broke the silence. "You offended them, Special Envoy. Made them think their offer wasn't good enough."

"Yeah, I know," Strauss said nonchalantly. Shadid blinked. "Needed to see how much they were willing to give. We've hit their limit for now. Might've got a little rough around the edges at the end there," she explained. "Now we get to compare notes with Paulsen, though he might be wining and dining."

"Oh, and nice work playing good cop. Might be hope for you yet," Strauss added casually. Shadid was a bit dumbfounded. She'd been playing?

"My government simply wants to be able to reassure the Adiran people that this sort of thing won't happen again, naturally. And I don't mean the strip-search in this case, Captain. The only reason this is turning into a media circus is because it was unexpected. If it were up to me, I'd say this is a simple communication issue," Paulsen said, trying to preempt his exhaustion with the topic.

"At any rate, Undersecretary Corbulo, you asked about policy. Normal policy is that aid organizations will take steps to comply with local law and remain politically neutral, in exchange for their generally protected status as relief workers. This means that aid workers are unarmed, must not participate in ongoing conflicts, will be sensitive to local law and customs, and in the event of certain criminal charges may be extradited."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Esarhaddon and his companions paused the conversation. They ordered palm wine, fizzy water with sliced limes or lemons, and beluga caviar with blinis for a starter, to be followed by tabouleh salad and tournedos. They were served by artistically painted staff, who had been airbrushed to resemble oriental brush paintings of pheasants, bamboo reeds and other zen like subjects. While washing their hands in lemon scented warm water and soothing them on hot napkins, Esarhaddon said, "I meant is there any policy in your country regarding how to respond to citizens who are affected by such unfortunate and regrettable circumstances as the strip search."

He glanced somewhat obviously and ironically as the waiter, naked except for paint and soft neat slippers, withdrew, and sipped his fizzy water.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents