NATION

PASSWORD

Future Tech Advice and Assistance Thread [O.O.C.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Wed May 18, 2016 9:27 pm

Pillowlandia wrote:alright, so I myself am semi-active in MT RPs but am interested in doing more FT. Is there any basic things that I should do first? I'm also trying to think of a good theme, I plan on having an absolute monarchy which evolved from a democracy X time in the past for X terribe accident. that's about as much as I actually have so far.

First things first, you should definitely take a look at the OP of this thread and all guides linked at the bottom of it.

Most importantly, check out these three, starting with the Future Tech Beginner's Tutorial, and then moving to the Size in Relation to Future Tech guide and then Roleplaying as Humans and Aliens.

You should read all of the linked guides, though. They are extremely informative as to how FT works. You should also check out The Local Cluster, a region where FT players just hang out and talk with each other in a OOC fashion (make sure to read the Mission Statement). Also important is jumping on to the IRC channel so we can talk with you in real time about, well, anything. Be it RP related or just hanging out and talking about random stuff like video games or sports or whatever.
Last edited by Vocenae on Wed May 18, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Wed May 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Pillowlandia wrote:alright, so I myself am semi-active in MT RPs but am interested in doing more FT. Is there any basic things that I should do first? I'm also trying to think of a good theme, I plan on having an absolute monarchy which evolved from a democracy X time in the past for X terribe accident. that's about as much as I actually have so far.

Hi there, and welcome to FT!

The best first step on what to do would be to look at the opening post to this thread. The links and discussion then are likely among the most important for getting started in FT. In particular, I'd like to point out several key posts.

While all the discussion points in the OP are important, these are perhaps the best when it comes to giving a 'Cliff Notes' or abridged version. We recommend you really look through the OP and all its resources, but if you only read a few things do try to read the oens above. They perhaps best summarise what the FT community is about. However, one of the most important things I'd recommend you do is to really try and develop your nation and its culture. Focus on figuring out who they are and what they're about, and all the basic things about them and their culture that you need to. It's great that you have an idea and theme and that was what you went for first, so I would say continuing to build on that regularly for now.

In addition, I'd recommend you check out the 'hub' region for FT, The Local Cluster, along with our IRC channel, #NSLegion on esper. Both of those are good locations for getting to know your fellow FT players, and getting into the feel of FT.

I hope this has been helpful, and feel free to ask any follow ups!
Last edited by Lubyak on Wed May 18, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Heavonia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavonia » Wed May 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Okay so, how much do you guys rate this tactic as a contrived method of having almost!Scotsmen marching in line to the tune of Black Bear?

The Free-Running Broadsword Advance Manoeuvre

A company-level manoevre which can be performed by a full-battalion if necessary. Ill-advised at platoon or section level. The formation divides into four elements, 'Line', 'Fore Flank', 'Aft Flank', and 'Support'. At Company Level the Line, Fore and Aft are each one of the Line Platoons. The Support element is both the company's integrated fire support and its combat support (e.g. ammo, ambulance, commanders) elements.

They advance through dead-ground in vehicles to the 'base line of advance' before the Line dismounts, as do mortar crews of the Support, Fore and Aft Elements. This advance is conducted in a 'hollow square' formation, with Line forming the leading edge, Fore the right edge, and Aft the left edge. This should not be performed as an advance to contact, but should instead be performed as part of a targeted assault on specially selected enemy formations or positions in areas picked for the favourable terrain.

On sounding of the advance, the mortar crews fire No.9939 MkIII munitions. These embed themselves into the ground, and then start playing bagpipe music incredibly loudly. Like, at 'if you're not wearing enclosed power armour designed to face it, you will suffer hearing damage'-levels of loud This is accompanied by every vehicle and soldier in the 'Line' formation playing the same music, in time, from speakers mounted on their hulls or on their powered armour - all of it so loud it's able to drown out artillery fire. The Line formation activates specially designed bucker-style energy shield emitters to provide protection to the front, along with the usual energy shields like those equipped by Spartans in HALO which are fitted to the user's body shape. These are then boosted by basically taking a power pack that's designed to run for most of a campaign, and then dumping all it's energy in the next fifteen-twenty minutes. This leaves the 'Line' formation with very tight time constraints, but being able to shrug off pretty much anything that's not specifically anti-armour.

They then advance at a pace best described as a quick march/Rifles Regiment 'Double', firing belt-fed HMGs and their standard combat LSWs from the hip as they half-walk, half-run toward the enemy line being followed by their APCs (and any attached infantry tanks) at a crawl behind them, all firing. The enemy thus focuses on the incredibly loud, seemingly unkillable assault force to the front accompanied by Support element's mortars, completely neglecting to notice the two pronged flanking pincer movement by Fore and Aft flank platoons. These two platoons aim to encircle and destroy (or at least force a disordered retreat by) the heart of the enemy's defensive line.

Meanwhile, if it reaches the enemy position the Line Platoon is (as all power armoured soldiers of the household division are equipped) furnished with break-action handcannons, not!Webleys, basket-hilt power-field-enhanced broadswords, fighting daggers, their rifles, and grenades. Accompanied by the temporary boost in their armour's energy shield strength to make them practically beserkers, able to shrug off incredible weights of fire before the energy fields collapse and they are finally killed.

Advantages to this tactic: It's fucking boss, if contrived.

Disadvantages: If the Line element doesn't accomplish its objective in time, their suits of power armour will literally turn off, and necessitate manually being re-cored by engineers. Furthermore, sufficient weight of firepower, or failure by the Flank elements to deal with the enemy forces could result in a general failure of the assault to assail the enemy.

I am the personification of Perfidious Albion...
Heavonian Embassy Thread
Heavonian Factbook

Storm Gard
Envoy

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Storm Gard » Fri May 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Alright so I'm going to try to take a crack at this, your post is fairly involved though so I'll be breaking my post into multiple points.

So as a primer, as a particular isolated incident in a well planned and well communicated thread, this tactic could serve as a nice little scene in a overarching story. Beyond that however it's essentially useless. In effect, what you're describing is an all up attack with some mobile armor support straight out of WWI with the infantry leading the charge for some odd reason when you have AFVs around for the breakthrough. Which would leave your more fragile dismounts eating the brunt of your initial defensive fire. Basically, you would likely end up with a fair amount dead with pretty much no gain whatsoever.

Now onto the specifics. And I'll be assuming its a on equal ground for a start for one battalion fighting one battalion.

A company-level manoevre which can be performed by a full-battalion if necessary. Ill-advised at platoon or section level. The formation divides into four elements, 'Line', 'Fore Flank', 'Aft Flank', and 'Support'. At Company Level the Line, Fore and Aft are each one of the Line Platoons. The Support element is both the company's integrated fire support and its combat support (e.g. ammo, ambulance, commanders) elements.

Point one, company and battalion level operations are not Napoleonic line battles. For armored infantry platoons currently, you get frontages that range out from 1.5km to 3km or even slightly more depending on the circumstances so for companies you're talking about 10 plus kilometers of frontage and battalions even more than that so to apply a single all up tactic for such a huge frontage is rather ridiculous.

They advance through dead-ground in vehicles to the 'base line of advance' before the Line dismounts, as do mortar crews of the Support, Fore and Aft Elements. This advance is conducted in a 'hollow square' formation, with Line forming the leading edge, Fore the right edge, and Aft the left edge. This should not be performed as an advance to contact, but should instead be performed as part of a targeted assault on specially selected enemy formations or positions in areas picked for the favourable terrain.

Now point two, what kind of distance are we talking about when referring to the 'dead ground' before the 'base line of advance' from the enemy, 1km? 5km? 10km? because at roughly 10km a huge currently non mobile mass is going to get all sorts of arty vectored on it, 3-5km is when support weapons like ATGMs and mortars are going to flow like water to hit literally everything they can see along with whatever arty HHQ can still vector on whatever is after the pounding from the 10 to the 5km line, so before your troops start to get anywhere close to the rundown point your battalion is probably completely going cease existing.

Also with the fluid nature of warfare nowadays lines don't exist as you traditionally know them. Rather, its more of a general line of advance rather than that like WWI defensive trenchworks, so your 'all up' attack now has to large enough to survive that run, stealthy enough to minimize detection, and executed so quickly so as to be sure that target is still there.

On sounding of the advance, the mortar crews fire No.9939 MkIII munitions. These embed themselves into the ground, and then start playing bagpipe music incredibly loudly. Like, at 'if you're not wearing enclosed power armour designed to face it, you will suffer hearing damage'-levels of loud This is accompanied by every vehicle and soldier in the 'Line' formation playing the same music, in time, from speakers mounted on their hulls or on their powered armour - all of it so loud it's able to drown out artillery fire. The Line formation activates specially designed bucker-style energy shield emitters to provide protection to the front, along with the usual energy shields like those equipped by Spartans in HALO which are fitted to the user's body shape. These are then boosted by basically taking a power pack that's designed to run for most of a campaign, and then dumping all it's energy in the next fifteen-twenty minutes. This leaves the 'Line' formation with very tight time constraints, but being able to shrug off pretty much anything that's not specifically anti-armour.

They then advance at a pace best described as a quick march/Rifles Regiment 'Double', firing belt-fed HMGs and their standard combat LSWs from the hip as they half-walk, half-run toward the enemy line being followed by their APCs (and any attached infantry tanks) at a crawl behind them, all firing. The enemy thus focuses on the incredibly loud, seemingly unkillable assault force to the front accompanied by Support element's mortars, completely neglecting to notice the two pronged flanking pincer movement by Fore and Aft flank platoons. These two platoons aim to encircle and destroy (or at least force a disordered retreat by) the heart of the enemy's defensive line.

So point three, while get the whole 'rule of cool' bit, realistically the music bit is just superfluous. A mortar from a Soviet 82mm landing at 50 meters feels like you've just had a guy with a strong right hand just unload on your face, while even a grenade can wind an unprepared person from the force of the explosion alone. And having an MG open up on you with the bullets passing by your head is a life changing experience. Music, even extremely loud music, is not even going to be among the top ten things your average grunt is going to be worried about.

Point four, you should be having the brunt of your attack power (i.e. the IFV and tanks) be the spearhead, they have the firepower and the armor to weather storm, since whatever is giving your troops the durability would probably work even better mounted on a tank, and continue on to throw the enemy into disarray. Instead you have an infantry lead attack like a WWI charge into no man's land no apparent reason, and to add to that, in general involved defensive works don't simply face forward but rather have interlocking fields of fire so defensive fire is going hit everything from the front and more troubling for you from the sides. Along with the fact that defensive works especially involved static ones that would likely be on the receiving end of this sort of charge, are likely to be built in-depth you're going have to fight through the initial defense, take the first set of fortifications, and then weather the arty that any non retarded general would already have his own defenses pre-sighted for fire and then continue for another set or two of defenses at minimum across a ridiculously broad frontage.

Point five, the pincer movement, its going to be one of three things, one your frontal attack is understrength and thus break fast which causes your pincers to be hit as the enemy repositions. Or two the pincers are understrength and can't take the attack on end. Or three remember how I stated that combat frontages in the modern day at pretty huge? Your pincers come late as they are advancing in a broader arc to outflank the defensive arc of the defenders and allow the defenders to mop your troops up in detail. And I can guarantee the pincer fails to be pulled off unless your troops are godlike with their stealth since its trivially easy to have a wider frontage than any logical pincer movement can extend, assuming straight line defensive works. Assuming a circular or squarish defensive layout, well you're not going to outflank anything since any commander worth his salt knows to commit his either force on the first attack, at most he commits a reserve platoon or two to more adequately sandbag your straight thrust while waiting for your flank attack.

Point six, the assumed defensive works itself, unless you're fighting massively weaker forces like a section or a platoon 15-20 mins is nowhere enough. Even a company can easily lay out multiple layers of defensive works that are mutually supporting that you have take one after another while eating fire from just about every direction. In fact, in general most attacks even with numerical superiority can take multiple hours if not days to properly accomplish.

Point seven, assumption of the non existence of anti armor weaponry, even in the modern warfare AT weapons are extremely prevalent. Most modern platoons just about has 20 odd anti tank missiles/rockets, not counting the metric shitton of heavier weapons support platoons have. After an initial shock, frankly I don't see the infantry surviving all that long.

Point eight, counter movement. Maneuver is drilled into just about any professional soldier and officer, why would the enemy just sit still and wait to receive an extremely blatant, extremely visible charge?

Instead any sane commander would either leverage defensive posture to drain your troops and watch for flanking opportunities. Or just pack up and maneuver all about the area.

So yeah in conclusion, essentially this plan is needlessly contrived for basically no gain and would generally not work in any circumstance beyond the most extremely favorable, as in with massive numerical and firepower superiority along with ninja like stealth on a battalion level without being spotted by thermals or whatever space sensors they have, and annihilated in short order with arty. Also IFVs and tanks exist for a reason, this isn't WWI where everyone has to go over the top, use these technological marvels created to solve the issue of enemy defensive works. So yeah, pretty decent concept as a one of hail Mary kind of thing but as an actual tactic it's pretty solidly on the terrible side for ideas.

EDIT: Formatting, spelling, and odd additional points I decided to add.
Last edited by Storm Gard on Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Heavonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavonia » Sat May 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Storm Gard wrote:*snip*

So, what you're saying is that should be perfect for everything I want it to do?
Heavonian Embassy Thread
Heavonian Factbook

Pillowlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pillowlandia » Sat May 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Heavonia wrote:

So, what you're saying is that should be perfect for everything I want it to do?

If you want to loose a battle tactically in the name of coolness. Then yes.
Stasnov wrote:Small-to-medium sized professional, relatively high-tech and well funded military. Emphasis on flexible units at Brigade-Battalion level.
#ValaranSoFab

Heavonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavonia » Sat May 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Pillowlandia wrote:
Heavonia wrote:So, what you're saying is that should be perfect for everything I want it to do?

I doubt I'd lose a battle just through use of that. One Ott fancy thing isn't indicative ofmainstream tactics.
Heavonian Embassy Thread
Heavonian Factbook

Pillowlandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Pillowlandia » Sat May 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Heavonia wrote:
Pillowlandia wrote:

I doubt I'd lose a battle just through use of that. One Ott fancy thing isn't indicative ofmainstream tactics.

Well, I didn't mean it like that. Simply that if you used it as a move to win a battle you would have a bad time.
Stasnov wrote:Small-to-medium sized professional, relatively high-tech and well funded military. Emphasis on flexible units at Brigade-Battalion level.
#ValaranSoFab

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Sun May 22, 2016 11:18 am

Pillowlandia wrote:
Heavonia wrote:So, what you're saying is that should be perfect for everything I want it to do?

There multiple other factors in regards to winning and losing a battle in an RP. In future tech we encourage players to collaborate with each other in an effort to bring the community closer together and have players become friendlier one another but to also cut down on the crys of metagaming and such.

Heavonia wrote:

Storm laid out a pretty detailed list of faults with it, I'll take it a step further in regards to issues with it in FT
Aldo maybe you could be more specific what it is exactly that you want it do so that we can help out a little more there

The sound thing first off, myself personally and I know of a few other players use environmentally sealed body armor (same with my power armor) to help with shock from explosive noises, there are noise dampeners inside the helmet of my soldiers armor so I'm not certain how effective would be if any at all.

Secondly even with power armor and shields you have to remember unless you're fighting someone with a substantially lower tech base then you you're going to be going up against FT weapons that are designed to knock out power armors and FT armor as well so an advancing line of infantry will get cut down by any multitude of massive area of effect weapons and if your any has the orbit that's doubly bad for any massed amount of infantry

All in all though if you are wanting to do something along the lines of a WWI infantry charge in FT talk with who you're playing with and see if you can set up circumstances in the RP where such a maneuver might be plausible

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun May 22, 2016 10:27 pm

Heavonia wrote:
Pillowlandia wrote:

I'm not really sure what sense you'd use such a tactic in. It seems to be only in any way applicable to some sort of frontal shock assault, and in that case then all the stuff Storm laid out is going to come into play, unless you're fighting troops with a much lower tech level or who are limited entirely to very small arms or super low on ammunition or something.

If you have those mortars, though, it seems like a shame to waste them. You could have them fire the bagpipe things so you get music, and then launch a sudden lightning barrage of high explosives. Then perhaps this could be almost like the German Stormtrooper tactics from the Spring Offensive, with the added shock or psychological element of loud music. If you also had the troops follow their armor rather than leading it and getting chewed up, it could be a cool shock tactic for use against static positions.

(Then again, there's every chance all of what I said is wrong, since pretty much all the stuff I "know" about tactics I've picked up here and there on NS. :p )
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 pm

Well, weren't the British known for conquering lesser civilizations through outstanding use of overwhelming power and technology? Weren't most European nations good at that? :>
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Spindle
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Sat May 28, 2016 9:56 am

Kassaran wrote:Well, weren't the British known for conquering lesser civilizations through outstanding use of overwhelming power and technology? Weren't most European nations good at that? :>

If you're saying that in reference to the bagpipe maneuver, then yes. But that was because our technology allowed us to kill them from beyond their range at a horrific rate - we had 550 rpm machine guns which would go through whatever armour the poor people we were stepping on could bring to bear. But that did not give us licence to disregard military logic: simply looking at the Battle of Isandlwana tells us that. Technology is a force multiplier, not a guarantee of invulnerability.

(Of course, there are arguments that the technology simply allowed for a better CONOPs. I'm going to ignore these for the sake of this argument, they are of little relevance.)

And, in FT, you can never presume technological superiority in your next war. Any potential enemy you go up against might be more advanced than you and your plans, doctrine and tactics have to take that into account.
Disclaimer: Nothing said here is the product of a rational mind.
So...apparently I'm a decent writer. Um...wait, what?
Relativity, nukes in space, nukes in atmosphere, LASERs, MASERs, kinetic weapons, missile and kinetic CIWS, impactors and centripital force.

And, of course, for anything at all, you can always go here.

The Vahkiran
Attaché

Founded: May 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Vahkiran » Sat May 28, 2016 10:38 am

Spindle wrote:
Kassaran wrote:Well, weren't the British known for conquering lesser civilizations through outstanding use of overwhelming power and technology? Weren't most European nations good at that? :>

If you're saying that in reference to the bagpipe maneuver, then yes. But that was because our technology allowed us to kill them from beyond their range at a horrific rate - we had 550 rpm machine guns which would go through whatever armour the poor people we were stepping on could bring to bear. But that did not give us licence to disregard military logic: simply looking at the Battle of Isandlwana tells us that. Technology is a force multiplier, not a guarantee of invulnerability.

(Of course, there are arguments that the technology simply allowed for a better CONOPs. I'm going to ignore these for the sake of this argument, they are of little relevance.)

And, in FT, you can never presume technological superiority in your next war. Any potential enemy you go up against might be more advanced than you and your plans, doctrine and tactics have to take that into account.

This is why you'd not jump into a war knowing nothing of your enemy. By the time a full blown conflict has occurred, you'd have done some serious research and recon on the enemy and adjusted your tactics, logistics and doctrine to aid in the war effort. Jumping into a war with no planning is something no nation would ever do, unless it was just, idiotic.

Spindle
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Sat May 28, 2016 11:10 am

The Vahkiran wrote:
Spindle wrote:If you're saying that in reference to the bagpipe maneuver, then yes. But that was because our technology allowed us to kill them from beyond their range at a horrific rate - we had 550 rpm machine guns which would go through whatever armour the poor people we were stepping on could bring to bear. But that did not give us licence to disregard military logic: simply looking at the Battle of Isandlwana tells us that. Technology is a force multiplier, not a guarantee of invulnerability.

This is why you'd not jump into a war knowing nothing of your enemy. By the time a full blown conflict has occurred, you'd have done some serious research and recon on the enemy and adjusted your tactics, logistics and doctrine to aid in the war effort. Jumping into a war with no planning is something no nation would ever do, unless it was just, idiotic.

Agreed. While there are scenarios I can imagine where a nation doesn't have time to see the war coming, any war which a nation has time to prepare for or chooses to be embroiled in should be preceded by a lengthy period of homework and tweaking. Although, at the same time, I would imagine most nations would settle for 'good enough' on that front, as opposed to perfection for each individual scenario. You don't want to change your TT&D too much for any given conflict, after all, since your military's probably evolved towards certain aspects of war-fighting more than others for a reason.
Last edited by Spindle on Sat May 28, 2016 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Relativity, nukes in space, nukes in atmosphere, LASERs, MASERs, kinetic weapons, missile and kinetic CIWS, impactors and centripital force.

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat May 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Spindle wrote:
The Vahkiran wrote:

Agreed. While there are scenarios I can imagine where a nation doesn't have time to see the war coming, any war which a nation has time to prepare for or chooses to be embroiled in should be preceded by a lengthy period of homework and tweaking. Although, at the same time, I would imagine most nations would settle for 'good enough' on that front, as opposed to perfection for each individual scenario. You don't want to change your TT&D too much for any given conflict, after all, since your military's probably evolved towards certain aspects of war-fighting more than others for a reason.

Exactly. As you've pointed out in your factbooks - which I did read - Spindle's military is the way it is for a reason and part of that (economy, location, resources) cannot simply be changed on a whim. Or at least not without radical consequences far beyond the war itself. Another important aspect of preparing for a war is knowing which wars to fight and which to not and that largely depends on those immovable objects. Of course, these are also what gives a nation and its history a healthy dose of character; Rising up to - or falling prey to - those challenges that it cannot overcome by simpler means.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

U A C
Civil Servant

Founded: May 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby U A C » Sat May 28, 2016 4:06 pm

So, my nation corporation is loosely based off the new DOOM + some random (read as not yet decided) futuristic elements. Would that fit in with the FT community???

Pillowlandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Pillowlandia » Sat May 28, 2016 4:22 pm

U A C wrote:So, my nation corporation is loosely based off the new DOOM + some random (read as not yet decided) futuristic elements. Would that fit in with the FT community???

anything fits! The only thing which might not work might be very specific details for certain RPs. Like if you use nukes a lot but the OP wishes for no nukes then you would talk it out and try to compromise. However, quite simply the more outlandish you are the more interesting your nation will be, at least to me.
#ValaranSoFab

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Sat May 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Pillowlandia wrote:
U A C wrote:So, my nation corporation is loosely based off the new DOOM + some random (read as not yet decided) futuristic elements. Would that fit in with the FT community???

anything fits! The only thing which might not work might be very specific details for certain RPs. Like if you use nukes a lot but the OP wishes for no nukes then you would talk it out and try to compromise. However, quite simply the more outlandish you are the more interesting your nation will be, at least to me.

There's a limit to outlandish stuff in FT, you know, and often it is the point where the lore may or may not make sense.

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Sat May 28, 2016 7:04 pm

Pillowlandia wrote:

I'd like to direct both of you guys Here.

Please make sure to check out the rest of the OP and the Guides for futher information on how Future Tech works. If you have any questions on anything within these guides, please feel free to ask here or check out The Local Cluster, or if you want to talk to members of the community in real time, check out our IRC channel, #NSLegion.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Spindle
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Sun May 29, 2016 2:04 am

Sunset wrote:
Spindle wrote:Agreed. While there are scenarios I can imagine where a nation doesn't have time to see the war coming, any war which a nation has time to prepare for or chooses to be embroiled in should be preceded by a lengthy period of homework and tweaking. Although, at the same time, I would imagine most nations would settle for 'good enough' on that front, as opposed to perfection for each individual scenario. You don't want to change your TT&D too much for any given conflict, after all, since your military's probably evolved towards certain aspects of war-fighting more than others for a reason.

Exactly. As you've pointed out in your factbooks - which I did read - Spindle's military is the way it is for a reason and part of that (economy, location, resources) cannot simply be changed on a whim. Or at least not without radical consequences far beyond the war itself. Another important aspect of preparing for a war is knowing which wars to fight and which to not and that largely depends on those immovable objects. Of course, these are also what gives a nation and its history a healthy dose of character; Rising up to - or falling prey to - those challenges that it cannot overcome by simpler means.

Wait, people actually read my factbooks? I thought they just sat there and slowly swelled up...

But yes. That's the reason why Britain has focussed on the Navy more than the army since the 14th century and has been impossible to invade since. And, conversely, the lack of a Navy despite being an island meant that the Romans could easily bring their superior army to bear without interference.
Last edited by Spindle on Sun May 29, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pillowlandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Pillowlandia » Sun May 29, 2016 8:15 am

Spindle wrote:
Sunset wrote:

Wait, people actually read my factbooks? I thought they just sat there and slowly swelled up...

But yes. That's the reason why Britain has focussed on the Navy more than the army since the 14th century and has been impossible to invade since. And, conversely, the lack of a Navy despite being an island meant that the Romans could easily bring their superior army to bear without interference.

I read them too, interesting theme for you craft. Though a little bit too real science for me to really prefer, still very interesting content for any conflicts we may ever encounter with each other. Plus it makes me want to not be lasy and do my factbooks
#ValaranSoFab

Spindle
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Sun May 29, 2016 11:40 am

Pillowlandia wrote:
Spindle wrote:Wait, people actually read my factbooks? I thought they just sat there and slowly swelled up...

I read them too, interesting theme for you craft. Though a little bit too real science for me to really prefer, still very interesting content for any conflicts we may ever encounter with each other. Plus it makes me want to not be lasy and do my factbooks

Well then. Thanks, I guess.

U A C
Civil Servant

Founded: May 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby U A C » Mon May 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Stormwrath wrote:
Pillowlandia wrote:

There's a limit to outlandish stuff in FT, you know, and often it is the point where the lore may or may not make sense.

Well, I'm fairly sure my idea is a lot less outlandish than others. Things are largely on the primitive end aside from our exploitation of hell for a power source and some odd experimentation (and occult worship). So, aside from the occasional demonic incursion (because killing demons is fun) its pretty straight forward otherwise.
Last edited by U A C on Mon May 30, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Mon May 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Can i get help for writing the factbooks.It's difficult to put images and write many text there because i use Ipad to play NS.Also can you help me with the codes.This might sounds unrelated but i want a help to write my factbooks about my nation and other things because im a FT.Also i would like help on how to make a FT RP
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue May 31, 2016 6:14 am

When I'm writing either a post or editing a factbook from my phone or tablet what I like to do is use a text editor instead of the regular posting or editing system. Then you have access to the more powerful tools in the text editor - copy/paste, revisions, etc - and if you loose connection all your work is saved locally. Then you can copy/paste it directly into the appropriate nationstates dialog whenever you're ready. I personally use Jota++ on Android but there are many different text editors out there.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents