NATION

PASSWORD

Future Tech Advice and Assistance Thread [O.O.C.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:33 pm

Superpower is ... a tricky defention. They /CAN/ exist in FT.... people HATE the term because it was used by... egotists... But you have to remember superpowers still have limits, they cant control or do everything or anything at one time especially in a galaxy. However it sems to me your trying to go the star-gate route; superpower is not something that is self imposed or shouldn't be unless as you say you're in a multi polar world (multiple states) with one power dominating all those states and them being the ones with the ship. But that's classified as a planetary superpower.

Soft power is still a thing in FT, Hard power too but it is unlikely right off the bat you could achieve such a status IF at all. It depends on alot of variables, making friends and allies is a start gaining political and economic influence is another start. But in the end it comes down if one OOCly respects you enough/ you write well enough to be considered in the higher echelons. Don't seek "Superpower status" don't even worry about it. FT is alot more complex; economically if you have access to resources in space, socially, culturally. There will always be "bigger" fish as it where.

Space is so large that spheres of influence wouldn't even exist. It would be pockets of allied civilizations; it wouldn't be limiting if you didn't start out like I said with the goal of attain "any power" status. Pick your battles either politically or with gunboat diplomacy wisely. The whole concept of power in space and in FT is better left undefined for yourself.

One planet civilizations in general can be played well and become an influence but that influence depends again on out of character (as people have been saying) interactions and what kind of writing/stories/excitement you can bring. Its not like MT. If you find a nation or a group of nations who may be friendly you'll gain benefits not only in the form of rp and writing but icly as well. NS and FT especially is not a play to win game, its a play to have fun game. I think a one planet nation is one great idea because I don't see it done often personally. If you make contact with any of the few economic or MDP pacts out there surely you'll have a cushion of protection and even "soft power influence"

But I would say.. Start out with baby-steps don't go in to FT thinking you have to be a superpower or great power to have fun; write well, and have a good time is all that there is too it. And as everyone else keeps mentioning , talking. OOC communication helps plenty. The universe is not just a chessboard its a storyboard as well, its got many, many different layers of complexity. Don't worry about who considers you what, because that varies widely. One mans superpower may be another mans third rate power. In the end you can always branch out and find friends if your people are afraid some big empire is going to try to pummel you. But that rarely happens without consent.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The United Dominion
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Dominion » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Neritucal wrote:New-ish player here, hoping to take a few steps into this community looking for some advice and opinions.

I wanted to hear your thoughts on how viable it is to play a FT civilization, with FTL technology and colonies spread across a few star systems but which is not an interstellar or even interplanetary empire and has so far not even achieved planetary unity. The basic concept is a species that in haste began colonization and evacuation as their homeworld turned increasingly hostile to them in large part due to their own impact on climate and biosphere. Though the various powerful states had much technological exchange, even the crisis couldn't bring them to prolonged political cooperation and in the end they performed their own colonization programs independently. These independent colonies grew, unified and fractioned repeatedly as time passed, at a few points setting up new colonies on new worlds that eventually splintered into independent (and mutually hating) states.

At this point there is no planet that is unified, each is divided among different nations that often have very different government and ideology, and only the most powerful of these states have the power and resources to construct and maintain starships with FTL drives, most of which would be used for trade between the colonies rather than equipped for warfare (I just imagine that as most planets are locked in cold, or hot, wars it's simply easier to import strategic resources from extraplanetery nations that has no personal reason to hate your guts). Any space navy will be small, without FTL and focused on protecting from alien threats - I'm not planning for them to be isolationist or isolated despite their obvious vulnerability.

So, well, how viable is it to play a FT state which is a superpower bound to only one planet but still can construct and man (a few) FTL-capable ships? I'm concerned not only about the concept but also if it would be too limiting in roleplay.

The concept itself is perfectly sound, and the only thing that would be really important here would be how you carry it out. That would be the deciding factor. Yes, it is likely to be more difficult to RP if you want internal consistency and in-canon rationale and logic for everything (I, for one, do, as do many others in the community; but I know players who are less than concerned about it). You will definitely run into problems of "well, how would the rest of the homeworld react to this" and "who will this alliance actually benefit" amongst other things. That's all good flavor, though, and developing things like this is always good and can lead to very worthwhile plot-points.

Not being isolationist, the only limit you would really have to RP, I suspect, would be people who would see it as an OOC weakness with your state/people and would try to take advantage ICly for competitive reasons. There aren't very many competitive RPers in the community, though, and you're under no obligation whatsoever to RP with anyone or accept any forcing of your hand. Your goal should be to have fun, make friends, and write something great; your concept will put you in the somewhat unique position that I think would be very interesting if you can flesh it well. I might recommend coming by the IRC channel sometime if you want to discuss ideas in real-time.

I RP something kind of similar, but not factions all on the same planet. We can probably come up with stuff together, at the very least. Either way, though, a lot of people on the channel would be willing to help out.
:: The Local Cluster :: Join Today! ::
:: "The Best Region for NSFT"™ ::
:: NSFT Community Discord Server ::

Neritucal
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Neritucal » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:38 pm

The Fedral Union wrote:-Snip-

Oh, no, no you misunderstand me! When I said superpower I didn't mean on the galactic scale, I meant that on their own planet they are a superpower. This still means that compared to even the smallest interplanetary civilization they are Belgium. The species is spread over several star systems but each planet is in itself divided by independent, sovereign states rather than unified planetary governments.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:39 pm

@ my derpynes:
Ohhhhh!

In that case yes. That like UD said is a sound idea; I don't see why it wouldn't work and could be interesting.

There are other sources of opinion too I should note; so you might want to explore the various groups in FT and average out what everyone thinks. FT is a big place not one group is a sole authority. But there are plenty of ideas to be found in plenty of the communities you could draw inspiration from.

(Sorry brain is a little fused with math; my bad)
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:04 pm

There is only one group of FT players, and that is FT itself. Regardless, I really do suggest that you drop by our IRC channel Neritucal, as the vast majority of active players do hang out there and are more than willing to provide real time advice on worldbuilding and general RP questions, along with just talking about random stuff like video games. It is essentially the biggest resource the community has as it allows us to get to know our fellow FT players on a Out of Character basis, which leads to developing better and more entertaining RPs because you're able to hash out the minute details of a thread in real time as opposed to telegram or an OOC thread here.

(if you haven't guessed by this post and the posts by Neornith and United Dominion, we put a heavy emphasis on communicating with your fellow players here in Future Tech. It is, after all, what makes this community the most close knit and easiest to get into of all the tech levels on Nationstates ;) )

If you haven't already, also check out The Local Cluster. It's a region made for a similar purpose as the IRC channel: allowing players to hang out and chat and get to know one another if IRC isn't an option. It not a closed region nor is it a Closed Roleplaying Group (or CRG), nor is it considered to be In Character, it's just an OOC holding area that comes with the advantage of being able to talk with your fellow players. It's also the largest non-feeder region for Future Tech. :P Just make sure to read our Mission Statement and check out the links in the regional factbook (which also includes a link to our IRC channel, and you'll be nice and set. :)

Hope to see you on the IRC soon, and look forward to getting to know you and your nation a bit better!
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Neritucal wrote:New-ish player here, hoping to take a few steps into this community looking for some advice and opinions.

I wanted to hear your thoughts on how viable it is to play a FT civilization, with FTL technology and colonies spread across a few star systems but which is not an interstellar or even interplanetary empire and has so far not even achieved planetary unity. The basic concept is a species that in haste began colonization and evacuation as their homeworld turned increasingly hostile to them in large part due to their own impact on climate and biosphere. Though the various powerful states had much technological exchange, even the crisis couldn't bring them to prolonged political cooperation and in the end they performed their own colonization programs independently. These independent colonies grew, unified and fractioned repeatedly as time passed, at a few points setting up new colonies on new worlds that eventually splintered into independent (and mutually hating) states.

At this point there is no planet that is unified, each is divided among different nations that often have very different government and ideology, and only the most powerful of these states have the power and resources to construct and maintain starships with FTL drives, most of which would be used for trade between the colonies rather than equipped for warfare (I just imagine that as most planets are locked in cold, or hot, wars it's simply easier to import strategic resources from extraplanetery nations that has no personal reason to hate your guts). Any space navy will be small, without FTL and focused on protecting from alien threats - I'm not planning for them to be isolationist or isolated despite their obvious vulnerability.

So, well, how viable is it to play a FT state which is a superpower bound to only one planet but still can construct and man (a few) FTL-capable ships? I'm concerned not only about the concept but also if it would be too limiting in roleplay.

Hi there,

I definitely like this idea of a FT civilisation. It does mean you have a lot more work to do, but it opens up a lot of RP opportunities.We always say that it's best for you to start 'small', with a few planets, and this is a great way to do that. I'd definitely look forward to what you'd do with it.

Feel free to join our IRC channel (irc.esper.net #NSLegion), so we can talk more about ways to get you involved.

Edit: Damnit, ninja'd.
Last edited by Lubyak on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:13 pm

Neritucal wrote:
The Fedral Union wrote:-Snip-

Oh, no, no you misunderstand me! When I said superpower I didn't mean on the galactic scale, I meant that on their own planet they are a superpower. This still means that compared to even the smallest interplanetary civilization they are Belgium. The species is spread over several star systems but each planet is in itself divided by independent, sovereign states rather than unified planetary governments.

Completely reasonable and a very sound idea, I also commend you on considering starting out very small on the galactic scale, too often many new players become concerned with starting out as some big bad and wanting to be a superpowerful and they end up flaring out rather fast, I started and am still consider myself small in terms of size compared to other older more established members of the community and its a much more enriching experience to try and grow your nation through RP.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:20 pm

I play something similar. The governments of (my) Earth are nominally united under an 'alliance' headed by the main state, but are still defacto independent entities, at least as far as internal policy is concerned.

People will generally be quite happy to come to you if you've got something they want :P
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:47 am

Vocenae wrote:There is only one group of FT players, and that is FT itself. Regardless, I really do suggest that you drop by our IRC channel Neritucal, as the vast majority of active players do hang out there and are more than willing to provide real time advice on worldbuilding and general RP questions, along with just talking about random stuff like video games. It is essentially the biggest resource the community has as it allows us to get to know our fellow FT players on a Out of Character basis, which leads to developing better and more entertaining RPs because you're able to hash out the minute details of a thread in real time as opposed to telegram or an OOC thread here.

(if you haven't guessed by this post and the posts by Neornith and United Dominion, we put a heavy emphasis on communicating with your fellow players here in Future Tech. It is, after all, what makes this community the most close knit and easiest to get into of all the tech levels on Nationstates ;) )

If you haven't already, also check out The Local Cluster. It's a region made for a similar purpose as the IRC channel: allowing players to hang out and chat and get to know one another if IRC isn't an option. It not a closed region nor is it a Closed Roleplaying Group (or CRG), nor is it considered to be In Character, it's just an OOC holding area that comes with the advantage of being able to talk with your fellow players. It's also the largest non-feeder region for Future Tech. :P Just make sure to read our Mission Statement and check out the links in the regional factbook (which also includes a link to our IRC channel, and you'll be nice and set. :)

Hope to see you on the IRC soon, and look forward to getting to know you and your nation a bit better!

I may disagree on the statement that the FT community is a single and unified group, as you mentioned that there are CRGs in existence that are essentially their own communities; but I digress.

Also Neritucal, IRC channel is #NSLegion. Check it out. :D Unless you have already been there, in which case I suggest you come back to us again someday.

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Thrashia » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:50 am

The FT community is much more akin to an frat house of loosely connected sociopaths that are also creative writers.
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:57 am

Since we've beaten the issue of people's opinions on the FT community to death I would like to propose a change in subject.

While it is realistic for some to never land planetary military forces and instead stay in orbit and have their fleet siege a planet. Sometimes however for the sake of plot or the sake of fun planetary forces are landed.

What are your nation's landing tactics and once they're planetside what is your military forces doctrine.

Consortium tactics revolve around putting infantry on the ground and then relying on its massive atmospheric air force to establish air superiority. Since Avan military has no ground vehicles at all and only has light and heavy infantry it does not engage an enemy ground force fully, instead it harasses and tries to slow it down while calling in the big guns from the air in the form of CAS, bombers, and gunships.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:45 am

Thrashia wrote:The FT community is much more akin to an frat house of loosely connected sociopaths that are also creative writers.

That's dangerously close to Bryn quote territory there bro :P ;). But yes theres one Meta-dogma but not one group, thread or region runs that meta-dogma .
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Rhustarim Hegemony
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Rhustarim Hegemony » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:56 am

Neornith wrote:Snips.

Hegemonic landing doctrine basically involves mass dropping of expendable drones to try and overwhelm AA defences to get some on the ground. The drones exist to deploy Foldpoints and try and hold the area surrounding them while they're installed. When a Foldpoint is installed, they can use Displacers to land their proper infantry and light vehicles. Heavier things like artillery, naval assets and the like, require the infantry to have secured landing sites. These things are generally too mass heavy to displace accurately, even to a Foldpoint.
The Rhustarim Hegemony|State of the Galaxy
The only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

Dolmhold
Minister

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolmhold » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:02 pm

Neornith wrote:What are your nation's landing tactics and once they're planetside what is your military forces doctrine.

I've never RPed a planetary invasion yet, but I do have some fluff built up for my nation's history. The general idea is long, bloody, grinding, bitter and stalemate.

Myrmidon invasion tactics are built around the expectation of a rather heavily fortified world - mobile point-defense vehicles denying effective orbital bombardments, massive fixed point defense batteries denying even mid-orbit to spacecraft, anti-orbital missile submarines coming up at unexpected times to blast the orbital zones and beyond, intercontinental artillery, subterranean cities, and so on. That being said, the one and only invasion in history failed to pass stage two - the world being Virens, and the invader being Leviathan Ditio.

Invasion tactics proceed across multiple stages out of necessity. The first stage involves the dismantling of one hemisphere's orbital defense capacities, and this is done by dropping large numbers of stealthy soldiers, under the cover of an even larger missile/kinetic barrage, at the planet. The kinetics and missiles are generally meant as shields and decoys for the soldiers, who drop alongside them. Once on the ground, the soldiers try to seek out and destroy as much enemy anti-orbital weapons as possible. This is a rather suicidal job, especially since your fellow soldiers may be dispersed around the world. Think SCUD hunters.

Once defenses over one hemisphere of the planet have been thinned out to an acceptable degree, the next stage - landing the actual planetary military, takes place. Here, a mostly symmetrical war takes place - symmetrical, because the defender still has enough anti-orbit or anti-space weaponry to mostly deny effective usage of orbital bombardment, and because anti-air capacities and orbital support ensure that the defender's likely aerial superiority does not result in decisive superiority for the defenders. The SCUD Hunter-type of orbital weaponry dismantlement continues on deeper inside enemy territory, but is overshadowed by this massive conventional war.

On the ground, Myrmidon forces quickly disperse and entrench, no matter if one is the attacker or defender. Anything detected in the open is likely to eat an artillery round that was guided into it by a watching infantryman. Anything rushing in small concentrations is likely to eat area-effect weapons some time soon. War is defined by long periods of stealthy placement and hunting for enemy forces, broken by periods of massive rushes when one side thinks it has a relative material superiority built up - these rushes can turn into blitzkriegs, or they could turn into killing grounds like the Somme.

Stage three has never occurred yet, but exists as a hypothetical. In the event that total air superiority and orbital dominance has been established, yet the enemy still hasn't surrendered, it's down to guerrilla warfare. If the enemy has underground settlements, the war takes to the underground domain, fighting in and building new tunnels to enemy settlements. One of the major difficulties foreseen is that digging or cratering one's way into an enemy settlement is countered by the enemy encouraging massive lava flows up to the surface to patch the holes and increase the thickness of the covering over the settlement. The underwater domain of submarine versus submarine warfare may or may not have taken place yet - it can belong to either stage two or stage three.
Last edited by Dolmhold on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:08 pm

The Rhustarim Hegemony wrote:
Neornith wrote:Snips.

Hegemonic landing doctrine basically involves mass dropping of expendable drones to try and overwhelm AA defences to get some on the ground. The drones exist to deploy Foldpoints and try and hold the area surrounding them while they're installed. When a Foldpoint is installed, they can use Displacers to land their proper infantry and light vehicles. Heavier things like artillery, naval assets and the like, require the infantry to have secured landing sites. These things are generally too mass heavy to displace accurately, even to a Foldpoint.

Only if your enemy has fixed AA emplacements.. Regardless your going to have to deal with excessive usages of MANPADS, air burst high yield weapons; this is after a protracted fleet battle mind you witch could be interesting insofar as costly. You should probably make use of special operations teams to get behind enemy lines and sabotage stuff with direct or indirect action operations. If you have teleporters that would be one effective use of them. I assume some of your larger transport ships can provide troop support with orbital strikes? I mean are we talking taking a back water or a high populated and developed planet?

Now if you remove the main obstacle of landing witch is pretty much a worlds fleet of ships; you'll still have to content with protracted ground battles against enemy units drones or no drones. Carpeting the sky with tactical field weapons would put a dent in a drone swarm; but if you had enough "decoys" they would still be some what effective. As for the gate thing well, that's cool; but they'd be high priority targets for the enemy to take out. Either by subterfuge/special operations, tactical strikes or as mentioned above if the world cant muster a force to quickly dispose of them unconventional methods.

You would just have a tough fight on your hands. Im not saying ground battles are impossible shit I love a good ground battle; I just know they wont be easy.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Neornith wrote:Since we've beaten the issue of people's opinions on the FT community to death I would like to propose a change in subject.

While it is realistic for some to never land planetary military forces and instead stay in orbit and have their fleet siege a planet. Sometimes however for the sake of plot or the sake of fun planetary forces are landed.

What are your nation's landing tactics and once they're planetside what is your military forces doctrine.

Consortium tactics revolve around putting infantry on the ground and then relying on its massive atmospheric air force to establish air superiority. Since Avan military has no ground vehicles at all and only has light and heavy infantry it does not engage an enemy ground force fully, instead it harasses and tries to slow it down while calling in the big guns from the air in the form of CAS, bombers, and gunships.

There are two general forms of land combat that the R.u.B Common Army prepares for: 1) the invasion or defence of a planet from an trans-planetary threat, 2) the invasion or defence of a territory from a cis-planetary threat. The main distinction, of course, is how the troops arrive to the field of battle. Once the troops have arrived, the objectives remain--roughly--the same: fortresses must be besieged, population and economic centres taken, and armies defeated. On the offensive, all three objectives must be achieved, and on the defensive all three must be prevented, and the attacking force itself defeated.

As such, the R.u.B Common Army prefers a very aggressive operational tempo. Dragoon, cavalry, and jaeger formations usually form the vanguard, identifying and pinning down hostile force, so that the main body of the army may engage it in pitched battle. Each field army--or corp's-- objective will usually be a key target: a fortress, city, or other such important point. By pressing the attack, the hostile army must either come forward to engage in battle, or surrender the objective. If fortresses and cities are sacrificed to preserve the army, then when the confrontation does come the enemy will be at a disadvantage from lack of both supplies and a safe rallying point. Tactically, the Common Army relies on close assaults, relying on ravelins to mitigate long ranged attacks, while pressing close for a close ranged engagement where bayonets and laslock fire can prove decisive. Tactical success can then be exploited by cavalry and dragoons in pursuit operations.

While on the defensive, the same agressive tempo is maintained. The primary goal of a defensive struggle is to destroy the attacking army. Fortresses may be used to tie up portions of the enemy, or to attrit them, but the Common Army prefers to not merely hide behind bastions and curtain walls. An Imperial fortress under siege is usually expected to merely hold out, until an army of observation can arrive to relieve it.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Neornith wrote:Since we've beaten the issue of people's opinions on the FT community to death I would like to propose a change in subject.

I'd say the first part really depends on your goals and interests in a planet, as well as cultural and technological factors. The Russian Empire generally considers murdering the entire planetary population from orbit a last resort, considering the expenses involved in recolonization and retooling the local economy. Some admirals have also expressed moral quandaries about such actions, surprisingly enough.

The ideal Russian drop operation consists of four phases:

1. Bombardment: Destruction or suppression of enemy anti-orbital and anti-air facilities to clear the way for the incoming ground elements. The fleet assumes an equatorial orbit with elements positioned at three points, forming an equilateral triangle, allowing full coverage of the planet. Major anti-orbital facilities are targeted first, followed by secondary installations, then strategic anti-air installations. Tertiary targets include nuclear or other WMD launch facilities, followed by key civilian infrastructure in case a long campaign or occupation is expected (power plants, dams, major logistical hubs, etc.) In some cases, orbit-to-atmospheric bombers may be deployed if conditions warrant (EX: Sensors are disrupted by atmospheric elements, or some form of enemy technology hinders orbital bombardments.)

2. Shock: Advanced elements of the military are deployed via drop pods. Irregular forces (Cossack units, spetsnaz, etc.,) are dropped into areas of low enemy force concentration to disrupt the rear areas and gather such intelligence as is relevant. Regular forces (typically cavalry units and armor) are deployed at areas where major enemy forces are congregating but have not yet fully organized themselves. These forces will also act to neutralize any remaining anti-orbital sites in strategic areas, clearing the way for the main landing force. If possible and/or deemed strategically desirable, these elements may attempt to secure or eliminate enemy heads of state, military leaders and similar.

3. Main attack: Major elements of the invasion force are deployed via landing craft in secured areas. Typically the goal is to find the largest enemy military force and neutralize it, while other elements of the force secure the enemy capital with the assistance of the shock elements. If strong resistance is expected, then multiple major force elements will be deployed in parallel, the goal being a constant, combined-arms offensive on several fronts with the enemy being unable to concentrate his forces against one element for fear of leaving a flank open to another. Strategic goals generally focus on the taking of logistical and strategic facilities (EX: Food production/distribution centers, military industrial areas, transportation hubs deemed important to the invasion, etc.)

4. Mop up: Irregular elements seek and destroy any enemy guerrilla or partisan units. Elements of internal security may deploy to assist in this operation. Where enemy remnants attempt to congregate or organize, major elements may be deployed. Civil disorder will be contained by the local police establishment, with military elements being deployed only in the case of a total breakdown of authority, or in areas deemed strategically important.

This, of course, assumes the enemy rejects offers to settle the dispute in the honorable fashion, two equal forces meeting head to head on the field of battle.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Federal Republic of Free States
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic of Free States » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Republican Military Doctrine in Invading and Occupying a Planet exists in many forms depending on Force Deployment, Supply Routes, Tech Level of Enemy, Dispersement of Enemy Forces, and several other factors. However, it can mainly be broken down on these points, keep in mind these points are not for Colonization. These are for actual MILITARY OPERATIONS.

The Ruse: Spatial Task Forces Enter system on the Periphery of the System, Data from the system is then gathered and dispersed between the Fleet, also maneuvers are held to bait the opposing Naval Fleet away from Orbital Positions. With Enemy Naval Forces away from any Planetary Anti-Orbit Emplacements, Ship to Ship Conflict can begin and Space/Orbital Dominance can be achieved.

The Swing: Spatial Fleet begins maneuvers against Orbital Facilities, engaging at extreme Range [To stay out of Range of Anti-Orbital Emplacements] hostile Facilities are destroyed, those that can be of use to Republican Forces are left. [Space Elevators, Docks, Manufacturing Facilities, Habitable Facilities].

The Drop: With Space/Orbital Dominance achieved, Anti-Orbital Emplacements are identified and targeted. If the emplacement is heavily fortified with unsurmountable Defensive Forces, they are destroyed from Far Orbit. If they are lightly defended, or are adjacent to Strategically Important facilities, they will be targeted by Shock Troops dropped by Insertion Pods. Shock Troops are also dropped in lightly defended area's to create and hold Forward Operating Bases.

The Swarm: With Anti-Orbital Capabilities by the Enemy suppressed, Spatial Forces move into Orbit around the Target Planet. Situated around the Forward Operating Bases, Terrestrial Landings occur with main forces. Terrestrial Forces consolidate around the FoBs and being their assaults against Enemy Emplacements supported by AeroSpace Forces as well as Spatial Forces in Mid to Low Orbit.

The Mop: With dominance in Orbit and Terrestrially secured, mop up Operations are carried out against any sympathizers of the old regime. Defensive stature is then expressed by Forces in Orbit as well as Planetside, so guard against any counter-attack to the System.

Be advised, per the flow of the battlefield, it is not advised to strictly adhere to the layout of these steps. Opportunities may present themselves that allow you to sway from Doctrine, DO NOT BE AFRAID to take a chance and achieve victory by other means. Operational Commanders are not tied to these steps, they are more of a guide.

Dreadful Sagittarius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dreadful Sagittarius » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:57 am

A new topic, certainly. For what it's worth, the Phanes Republic has never committed a planetary assault for the simple reason that the only such attack in its history was performed by the preceding divided states, but the theoretical approach would be first to determine viable targets for elimination via the use of rapid-insertion pathfinders, before committing naval assets to securing an appropriate landing zone, (referring to one located away from foci of opposing forces and/or well-defended locations), and 'boxing' it off from all interference, both ground and spatial. From that point ground forces are conveyed to the surface and prepared to move out in fast-moving columns and strike at weak points in the defences designated by the pathfinders.

At the same time, larger groups will focus on initiating hit-and-run attacks on enemy force concentrations, with the use of fighters launched from high-atmosphere carriers providing additional reconnaissance, CAP and ground support as necessary, while CASEVAC will be on continuous standby the whole time (medevac'ing Republic forces is a big thing when it comes to public relations, thanks to the wholesale slaughter caused by the Trade War). The overall intention is to cause enemy forces to wear themselves out by the continual threat of attack, actual attacks, and weaken their logistics/rear echelon to the point where they can't initiate offensive operations. Where appropriate, naval forces will begin to conduct high-atmospheric entries and strafe enemy forces/positions as a prelude to assault or to discourage movement overground.
In Memoriam of David 'CanisD' Briedis, October 20, 1970 - August 27, 2015
For He Loved The Stars Too Fondly, To Fear The Night
Factbook of the Phanes RepublicFuture-Tech Advice & Assistance Thread
Future-Tech Market Index ThreadThe CompendiumState of the Galaxy
Only a fool taunts the Archer

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:43 pm

What are your nation's landing tactics and once they're planetside what is your military forces doctrine?

I took this as "what do your drop operations look like".

The Bakran Empire is built on mass warfare tactics; it’s main enemy for the last hundred years (the Empire’s entire interstellar existence) has relied heavily on throwing meatshields at them until they can exploit weak spots in a Bakran offensive or defensive operation. Therefore, the Bakran drop procedures reflect this. Adjustments have been made following the disastrous Battle of Emmos which nearly destroyed an entire drop army because it lacked heavy support and relied too much on orbital supremacy. The modified composition of drop troop units and drop operations reflect this. Rather than an actual procedure, the armed forces instead have three categories of drop operations. These terms are universal, used by both the Army and the Star Marines.

Independent Drop: This is when the drop troops have little to no orbital support. Most operational commanders expect this as a worst-case scenario, where they have to rely on their own supplies and support when they drop into battle. This is a stark reality for too many drops, making the reputation and higher pay of the drop troops realized.

Supported Drop: The ideal drop operation, which any commander would tell you is uncommon. Guaranteed and dedicated orbital support is something that any commander dreams of but isn’t much of a reality. Nevertheless the supported drop means that orbital supremacy has been partially achieved making the operation go smoother.

Reinforcement Drop: Sometimes called a “hot drop”, reinforcement drops are what comes after initial landings. Whilst transports are sometimes too exposed, the drop troops will come in using their ubiquitous drop pods and reinforce troops on the battlefield, even during battle. Arguably the most chaotic and difficult drop is one that happens in the middle of combat.

Raid Drop: These are typically in preparation for landings or to raid an enemy’s infrastructure. Troops drop in small packs behind enemy lines to sow confusion and sabotage immediately prior to a major operation. This includes assassination, demolition, and guerilla warfare in order to weaken the enemy and avoid bottlenecks in the coming operations.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:20 am

Accessing Data Files...
Alert! File: Planetary_Invasion_Tactics.dat is locked! If you have access, enter password:
Checking....
Access Granted! Opening File: Planetary_Invasion_Tactics.dat ...

Planetary_Invasion_Tactics.dat:
  • ORBITAL_HELLSTORM: entry.log.23/12/2495: "Huge battalions of troops are dropped simultaneously with hellstorm missiles, bombs, and hellstorm non-nuclear citybusting bombs. This is to ensure absolute chaos and victory for the Union, as well as to deter enemy resistance upon landing."
  • DIRECT_INVASION: entry.log.23/12/2495: "The planet is directly invaded by the full force of the fleet literally sending battalion upon battalion down. Once a foothold is established, we begin direct invasion of all territory on the planet. This involves little to no bombardment."
  • ANNEXATION: entry.log.23/12/2495: "The planet is annexed. This usually entails cutting off the entire star system as well as the planet. Once the planet is choked of supplies, power, etc. we simply offer them aid in return for undying loyalty. Usually, this takes years to work, but it ends in bloodless conquest... usually."
  • TOTAL_ANNIHILATION: entry.log.23/12/2495: "The planet's major cities, farms, etc. are totally obliterated by orbital bombardment, and the planet itself is thrown into chaos by terraformation bombs. Then, shock troopers drop in and kill any resistance, and finish the planet-wide 'genocide'. Not often used unless we are in a hurry."
  • THE_END: entry.log.23/12/2495: "The world is terraformed and the terraformation device defended until the process is over. In that process, almost all non-Union life dies from the new hostile atmosphere. Those who survive are enslaved."
End_File: Planetary_Invasion_Tactics.dat
_LOGOUT
Logging out...
Goodbye, [REDACTED].

So what if I posted semi-ICly? Blegh.

Transvaal Vrystaat
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Transvaal Vrystaat » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:57 am

It's people like you who make me re-consider only having a couple dozen asteroids.

In any case, have fun rebuilding all that infrastructure.
Literal Space Boers in the Asteroid Belt. Factbook tbd.

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:40 am

What are the advantages and disadvantages of hover vehicles? I've been thinking about forming my rebel puppet nation's armour into "repulsorlift" divisions. I want it to be different from this nation, which mainly uses tracked armoured vehicles (Referred to as cuirassiers or armoured cavalry). The increased mobility hover vehicles have fits into my puppet's military strategy, which is primarily focused around hit and run attacks due to the numerical disadvantage it has against this nation.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:47 am

Tierra Prime wrote:What are the advantages and disadvantages of hover vehicles? I've been thinking about forming my rebel puppet nation's armour into "repulsorlift" divisions. I want it to be different from this nation, which mainly uses tracked armoured vehicles (Referred to as cuirassiers or armoured cavalry). The increased mobility hover vehicles have fits into my puppet's military strategy, which is primarily focused around hit and run attacks due to the numerical disadvantage it has against this nation.

It depends on what disadvantages you want to work into it I think personally. Hover vehicles can come in a large variety, do they use some sort of fancy fan to give them lift? If they do what would shrapnel and debris do to those fans? Does it use anti-gravity of some sort and if so what are the weight restrictions and what does that mean for a vehicle's firepower and armor? I its less to keep up your speed? What sort of training would be required in comparison to a tracker vehicle? Would it be extensive or negligible?

Just a few questions off the top of my head I'll try to think of more for you to consider.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 am

Tierra Prime wrote:What are the advantages and disadvantages of hover vehicles? I've been thinking about forming my rebel puppet nation's armour into "repulsorlift" divisions. I want it to be different from this nation, which mainly uses tracked armoured vehicles (Referred to as cuirassiers or armoured cavalry). The increased mobility hover vehicles have fits into my puppet's military strategy, which is primarily focused around hit and run attacks due to the numerical disadvantage it has against this nation.

Star Wars' repulsorlift doesn't work on some planets, due to magnetic field variation and similar anomalies. Hence why the Empire developed walkers and wheeled vehicles. Apparently repulsorlift craft also require fairly flat terrain. They don't like steep hills and don't work very well at all when it comes to mountains or canyons.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents