NATION

PASSWORD

The War of the Two Empresses OOC/Signup Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:22 pm

I have not really much time lately to write new chapters for the RP, but I will be soon enough. In the meantime, I am posting a summary of the literary themes of the RP:

Power

Who wants it, who spurns it, who has it thrust upon them, who abuses it, who fears it, who hungers for it but doesn't know what to do with it when they have it, and who just treats it like a game. Who can handle it, who is corrupted by it and who is simply overwhelmed and chewed up by it.

I do not subscribe to a Manichean view of the world. Rather, I espouse the idea that good and evil are both present within each individual. In keeping with this individualist view of humanity, many of the characters in the RP are defined by their use and misuse of power. In fact, the nature of power is directly discussed by several characters in the RP, and each has a different take on it.

A person's use of social and political power usually reveals the limitations and moral boundaries of that person. One limitation is the belief that there is a separate set of laws for those who have power and another for those who do not. Abuse of power occurs when a person’s psychological problems undermine their moral principles. Power also magnifies both a person’s virtues and his vices.

In a sense, this RP consists of a set of meditations on the nature of power, how people wield it, and seeking to try and find an answer to a question man has been asking forever: what makes a good ruler of men, and what right does anyone have to rule?
We've got good potential candidates for leadership, and bad potential candidates for leadership; honorable men and dreadful men; people who fall into power by accident, and those that acquire it through force of will, sometimes through deceit, sometimes through domination, sometimes through democracy.

Also is the idea that the struggle for power and control is a zero-sum game. More succinctly, power is an illusion.

Realpolitik

Realpolitik is a German term for the type of diplomacy which is based on practical objectives rather than ideals. Realpolitik endorses a pragmatic, no-nonsense view and a disregard for ethical considerations. Those engaged in realpolitik emphasize immediate practicalities and self-interest over principled ideologies. The term has become synonymous with unscrupulous and coercive political tactics, particularly since its popularization by Henry Kissinger.

Much of the RP deals with the theme of realpolitik; closed door scheming by the ruling elites at the top of society without regard for ethical concerns. These types of back room dealings are a major driving force in the plot of the RP. The common people have no say in strategic decisions made by the elite, yet their fates are often determined by them.

This Realpolitik allows for the following concepts to be expunged upon:

The law of unintended consequences
The messiness of politics
The danger of ideological purity/inflexibility
Corruptibility and redemption

Religion

A third overarching theme in the RP is that of a plurality of competing religions. Multiple faiths are a more realistic presentation in literature which mirrors the current state of the world.

The RP portrays several competing religions. We included religion in Panessos to make it seem more realistic. Since entirely made-up religions are more difficult to make plausible, we based the RP's major religions on real religious systems, which we tweaked or expanded with imaginative elements, without doing one-to-one transformations. The fictional history of Panessos shows how each religion evolved. Each of the religions reflects its culture's temperament. However, I regard any (real or fictional) religion's claim to truth with suspicion, and I have never been satisfied by standard answers to questions like how a benevolent God allows for a world full of suffering. Many of the characters in the RP espouse a similar perspective.

No religion is presented as the true faith, although there are eerie displays of power on many sides, nor do any have a monopoly on virtue. Readers remain free to wonder about the validity, teachings and supernatural power of the competing religions in Panessos.

Moral Relativism

A common theme in many RPs is the battle between good and evil, although I am deliberately defying the conventions and assumptions of this struggle. I am opposed to the oversimplification of the struggle between good and evil into stereotypical clichés. I believe in the merits of William Faulkner's 1950 Nobel Prize speech, which serves as a paradigm for my writing; Faulkner said that only the human heart in conflict with itself was worth writing about. Just like people's capacity for good and for evil in real life, I explore the questions of redemption and character change in the RP. Characters who initially seem likable commit reprehensible acts, and apparent villains become sympathetic over time, and a presentation of characters with sometimes sympathetic, often imperfect motives.

I refuse to embrace a vision of the world as a Manichaean struggle between Good and Evil. This RP is multifaceted and ambiguous, as are the men and women who wage it.

I am inclined to write about and engage with gray characters instead of good guys and bad guys, and I regard the hero as the villain on the other side. As any universally adored or hated fictional characters are too one-dimensional to present real life, I write my characters with well-mixed natures so that readers will invest in and identify with them. The actions and politics in the RP leave it to the reader to decide about who is good and evil. Characters are explored from many sides through the multiple viewpoint structure so that, unlike in a lot of other RPs, the supposed villains can provide their viewpoint. This is necessary since in the real-world throughout history, all human beings justify their deeds as the right thing and their opponents as the villain. It may not always be easy to determine who represents the good and evil side in real life, as some of the darkest villains in history had some good things about them, the greatest heroes had weaknesses and flaws.

No one is clear cut good or evil, right or wrong. They simply have their motives or convictions, and try to act towards achieving them. Once you see someone else's side of things, you understand how grey things are. We realize that their seemingly completely indefensible actions do, in fact, have a defense. And even if we don’t agree with the logic guiding their actions, we might at least sympathize with them, especially if we discover that they feel guilty about what they’ve done. Some characters will naturally be more difficult to sympathize with though. However, I intending on writing my characters so that we can understand how they got there.

In large part, the difference between moral and immoral people is power and opportunity. Corollary: power is fragile. Power is dangerous, as was previously mentioned.

I think ultimately the battle between good and evil is weighed within the individual human heart and not necessarily between an army of people dressed in white and an army of people dressed in black.

Love

Another theme of the RP is love. The term "Love" does not apply merely to romantic interests, but also to respect, acceptance, and personal fulfillment. All human beings need love and other basic needs met in order to feel a sense of contentment, but people will go about achieving this differently. People require different things in order to feel satisfied, but ultimately they are motivated out of a need to feel loved and accepted.

To the rest of the world, we are often defined by our shortcomings. We need validation like food, from strangers, from our parents, from those above us and those below us. And yet we judge constantly, noticing the negative in others more than the positive, and are judged in turn. The strongest characters are those who have overcome this need, or come to terms with it. Of course, most have not come to terms with it nearly as much as they would like to believe. Corollary: if you don't fit in to your role in society, be prepared to work really ridiculously hard to get people to notice anything else about you.

Order vs. Chaos

The RP also emphasizes the differences between Order and Chaos, and the area in between. Order keeps everything together and allows things to perpetuate as they have. Chaos is, well, chaotic. It is destructive. Yet it also represents power, creative energy, and the life-force itself. An ordered world cannot tolerate the uncontrolled operation of such an incomprehensible power, and yet a too-ordered world, one that too successfully represses this force, becomes sterile and meaningless.

I would venture to say that a sub-theme of the RP is about the destructive nature of charismatic leaders. In this sense, Nathan is an allegorical figure: a good man whose efforts to make good on his ancestral claims and doing what he believe is the right thing leads to war and chaos. Panessos has a well-balanced political system in which every Nation plays a cooperative role. When many of the Ghantish Lords and Paramilitary Groups rise for Nathan, the balance of power in Panessos is upset, and the entire political system comes apart.

The RP represents both the risks and the rewards of the unbridled id and of the chaotic power that underlies existence. Laoni assumes the role of an chaotic figure that renews a sterile world by releasing into it the potentially dangerous and destructive power of another state of being. She shakes things up. She disrupts conventional patterns of meaning and threatens the established order.

Transformation

Transformation is another theme of the RP. On a more subtle level, transformation may chart a character's slow internal change. Personality, values, and their overall outlook on life may be significantly altered in a character's journey from the beginning to the end of the story. Transformation can be either positive or negative. Characters undergo transformations that alter their thought-processes, sometimes voluntarily and other times involuntary. Loss of control, lack of free will, and alienation can emerge as negative aspects of involuntary transformations. Sometimes the characters are forced to endure a transformation as a punishment as well. An individual who chooses transformation, on the other hand, may become symbolic of liberation and escape from convention or expectation. Voluntary transformation can also, however, indicate abuse of power and deceit.
Last edited by Ghant on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Well i am constantly forgetting about this OOC thread.
You can call me Easy-E or Eppie if you want but you can if you are really lazy call me Ep.
I am Spanish so don't ever expect me to have anything close to perfect grammar.
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
Myansaland wrote:
HorusLand wrote:How's the revolution going?

I will not pay my taxes this year :p

After all, I recieved a letter from the City of Warsaw recognizing me as an indepedent apartment.

Founding Member of LAVMEO
My proud anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5dSdxUGLc

Virenna
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virenna » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:55 pm

Ghant wrote:I have not really much time lately to write new chapters for the RP, but I will be soon enough. In the meantime, I am posting a summary of the literary themes of the RP:

Power

Who wants it, who spurns it, who has it thrust upon them, who abuses it, who fears it, who hungers for it but doesn't know what to do with it when they have it, and who just treats it like a game. Who can handle it, who is corrupted by it and who is simply overwhelmed and chewed up by it.

I do not subscribe to a Manichean view of the world. Rather, I espouse the idea that good and evil are both present within each individual. In keeping with this individualist view of humanity, many of the characters in the RP are defined by their use and misuse of power. In fact, the nature of power is directly discussed by several characters in the RP, and each has a different take on it.

A person's use of social and political power usually reveals the limitations and moral boundaries of that person. One limitation is the belief that there is a separate set of laws for those who have power and another for those who do not. Abuse of power occurs when a person’s psychological problems undermine their moral principles. Power also magnifies both a person’s virtues and his vices.

In a sense, this RP consists of a set of meditations on the nature of power, how people wield it, and seeking to try and find an answer to a question man has been asking forever: what makes a good ruler of men, and what right does anyone have to rule?
We've got good potential candidates for leadership, and bad potential candidates for leadership; honorable men and dreadful men; people who fall into power by accident, and those that acquire it through force of will, sometimes through deceit, sometimes through domination, sometimes through democracy.

Also is the idea that the struggle for power and control is a zero-sum game. More succinctly, power is an illusion.

Realpolitik

Realpolitik is a German term for the type of diplomacy which is based on practical objectives rather than ideals. Realpolitik endorses a pragmatic, no-nonsense view and a disregard for ethical considerations. Those engaged in realpolitik emphasize immediate practicalities and self-interest over principled ideologies. The term has become synonymous with unscrupulous and coercive political tactics, particularly since its popularization by Henry Kissinger.

Much of the RP deals with the theme of realpolitik; closed door scheming by the ruling elites at the top of society without regard for ethical concerns. These types of back room dealings are a major driving force in the plot of the RP. The common people have no say in strategic decisions made by the elite, yet their fates are often determined by them.

This Realpolitik allows for the following concepts to be expunged upon:

The law of unintended consequences
The messiness of politics
The danger of ideological purity/inflexibility
Corruptibility and redemption

Religion

A third overarching theme in the RP is that of a plurality of competing religions. Multiple faiths are a more realistic presentation in literature which mirrors the current state of the world.

The RP portrays several competing religions. We included religion in Panessos to make it seem more realistic. Since entirely made-up religions are more difficult to make plausible, we based the RP's major religions on real religious systems, which we tweaked or expanded with imaginative elements, without doing one-to-one transformations. The fictional history of Panessos shows how each religion evolved. Each of the religions reflects its culture's temperament. However, I regard any (real or fictional) religion's claim to truth with suspicion, and I have never been satisfied by standard answers to questions like how a benevolent God allows for a world full of suffering. Many of the characters in the RP espouse a similar perspective.

No religion is presented as the true faith, although there are eerie displays of power on many sides, nor do any have a monopoly on virtue. Readers remain free to wonder about the validity, teachings and supernatural power of the competing religions in Panessos.

Moral Relativism

A common theme in many RPs is the battle between good and evil, although I am deliberately defying the conventions and assumptions of this struggle. I am opposed to the oversimplification of the struggle between good and evil into stereotypical clichés. I believe in the merits of William Faulkner's 1950 Nobel Prize speech, which serves as a paradigm for my writing; Faulkner said that only the human heart in conflict with itself was worth writing about. Just like people's capacity for good and for evil in real life, I explore the questions of redemption and character change in the RP. Characters who initially seem likable commit reprehensible acts, and apparent villains become sympathetic over time, and a presentation of characters with sometimes sympathetic, often imperfect motives.

I refuse to embrace a vision of the world as a Manichaean struggle between Good and Evil. This RP is multifaceted and ambiguous, as are the men and women who wage it.

I am inclined to write about and engage with gray characters instead of good guys and bad guys, and I regard the hero as the villain on the other side. As any universally adored or hated fictional characters are too one-dimensional to present real life, I write my characters with well-mixed natures so that readers will invest in and identify with them. The actions and politics in the RP leave it to the reader to decide about who is good and evil. Characters are explored from many sides through the multiple viewpoint structure so that, unlike in a lot of other RPs, the supposed villains can provide their viewpoint. This is necessary since in the real-world throughout history, all human beings justify their deeds as the right thing and their opponents as the villain. It may not always be easy to determine who represents the good and evil side in real life, as some of the darkest villains in history had some good things about them, the greatest heroes had weaknesses and flaws.

No one is clear cut good or evil, right or wrong. They simply have their motives or convictions, and try to act towards achieving them. Once you see someone else's side of things, you understand how grey things are. We realize that their seemingly completely indefensible actions do, in fact, have a defense. And even if we don’t agree with the logic guiding their actions, we might at least sympathize with them, especially if we discover that they feel guilty about what they’ve done. Some characters will naturally be more difficult to sympathize with though. However, I intending on writing my characters so that we can understand how they got there.

In large part, the difference between moral and immoral people is power and opportunity. Corollary: power is fragile. Power is dangerous, as was previously mentioned.

I think ultimately the battle between good and evil is weighed within the individual human heart and not necessarily between an army of people dressed in white and an army of people dressed in black.

Love

Another theme of the RP is love. The term "Love" does not apply merely to romantic interests, but also to respect, acceptance, and personal fulfillment. All human beings need love and other basic needs met in order to feel a sense of contentment, but people will go about achieving this differently. People require different things in order to feel satisfied, but ultimately they are motivated out of a need to feel loved and accepted.

To the rest of the world, we are often defined by our shortcomings. We need validation like food, from strangers, from our parents, from those above us and those below us. And yet we judge constantly, noticing the negative in others more than the positive, and are judged in turn. The strongest characters are those who have overcome this need, or come to terms with it. Of course, most have not come to terms with it nearly as much as they would like to believe. Corollary: if you don't fit in to your role in society, be prepared to work really ridiculously hard to get people to notice anything else about you.

Order vs. Chaos

The RP also emphasizes the differences between Order and Chaos, and the area in between. Order keeps everything together and allows things to perpetuate as they have. Chaos is, well, chaotic. It is destructive. Yet it also represents power, creative energy, and the life-force itself. An ordered world cannot tolerate the uncontrolled operation of such an incomprehensible power, and yet a too-ordered world, one that too successfully represses this force, becomes sterile and meaningless.

I would venture to say that a sub-theme of the RP is about the destructive nature of charismatic leaders. In this sense, Nathan is an allegorical figure: a good man whose efforts to make good on his ancestral claims and doing what he believe is the right thing leads to war and chaos. Panessos has a well-balanced political system in which every Nation plays a cooperative role. When many of the Ghantish Lords and Paramilitary Groups rise for Nathan, the balance of power in Panessos is upset, and the entire political system comes apart.

The RP represents both the risks and the rewards of the unbridled id and of the chaotic power that underlies existence. Laoni assumes the role of an chaotic figure that renews a sterile world by releasing into it the potentially dangerous and destructive power of another state of being. She shakes things up. She disrupts conventional patterns of meaning and threatens the established order.

Transformation

Transformation is another theme of the RP. On a more subtle level, transformation may chart a character's slow internal change. Personality, values, and their overall outlook on life may be significantly altered in a character's journey from the beginning to the end of the story. Transformation can be either positive or negative. Characters undergo transformations that alter their thought-processes, sometimes voluntarily and other times involuntary. Loss of control, lack of free will, and alienation can emerge as negative aspects of involuntary transformations. Sometimes the characters are forced to endure a transformation as a punishment as well. An individual who chooses transformation, on the other hand, may become symbolic of liberation and escape from convention or expectation. Voluntary transformation can also, however, indicate abuse of power and deceit.

This has actually really helped me develop a character I plan to introduce in my next post.
FLAG

"Iron hand in a velvet glove."
-Charles V

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Virenna wrote:: This has actually really helped me develop a character I plan to introduce in my next post.

I am glad that you find it useful.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Communists for the people
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Communists for the people » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Mizrad wrote:Wait you guys know I'm not taking sides in this OOC'ly, right? I'm sure none of you know this IC'ly but, to clear up what I'm trying to do I'll just say this. Mizrad is in conflict to try and stop any major war from happening although they are using this war as a tool to complete major tasks of theirs such as straightening out relations with Rhodesea, settling into the area, keeping relations good whilst taking out any enemies of Mizrad before backing out of the war and trying to keep the area around Mizrad peaceful.

I think I will probably side with Ghant. Although it really just depends on what my diplomat is able to turn up.
Please refer to me as Communists for the people CFTP
GO CUBS
"If it were not for the will and determination of these men to stop the superior forces of the German army, a different chapter of history would have been written" Major General Troy Middleton
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
Proud member of Hemithea
1. [Boredem]
2.Military readiness
3. Minor engagement
4. Destroying misguided infadels
5. Mass genocidal war

Omegaopterix
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Omegaopterix » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:32 pm

I really want to join, but man, I've got some work to do if I want to catch up story-wise.
"They are everything and nothing, the many-angled ones, unknowable, timeless, eternal. They inhabit the Abyss, the gulf between what's said and what's understood, the place from whence stems all human suffering. Mankind can only trace their jagged silhouette around the shadow they cast across the world, They are famine, conflict, genocide, they are now and forever amen... and they're coming your way."

-Creed of The Corrupted

Firmador
Minister

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Firmador » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:26 pm

Austoria, could I get a response to my Q, compadre?

Naybra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Naybra » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:15 pm

Gillenor, how do you want to work that Top Secret Zirus? I was thinking with the attempts at making a joint-history between Gillenor and Naybra, they joined together for the project. When a devestating regional war broke out earlier in Gillinors history, the project and all its research was moved to neutral Naybra. If Lanoi really is after this biological weapon, it will sure be a plot twist when she discovers it is no longer in Gillenor. How's it sound? Any ideas?
Proud Member of the Panessos Community
| | The Western Isles of Naybra | |
Moving on Up
IIWiki | My History in NationStates | Embassy Program | Naybra International Airport | WIoN Inc.
DEFCON STATUS
1. Nuclear War
2. Engaged in War
3. Preparing for War
4. Sending Aid
5. Increase Intelligence Activity
6. Normal Readiness
Call me Naybra

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:41 am

Naybra wrote:Gillenor, how do you want to work that Top Secret Zirus? I was thinking with the attempts at making a joint-history between Gillenor and Naybra, they joined together for the project. When a devestating regional war broke out earlier in Gillinors history, the project and all its research was moved to neutral Naybra. If Lanoi really is after this biological weapon, it will sure be a plot twist when she discovers it is no longer in Gillenor. How's it sound? Any ideas?

Without spoiling anything, the research facility needs to be in Oceanus.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Naybra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Naybra » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:08 am

Ghant wrote:
Naybra wrote:Gillenor, how do you want to work that Top Secret Zirus? I was thinking with the attempts at making a joint-history between Gillenor and Naybra, they joined together for the project. When a devestating regional war broke out earlier in Gillinors history, the project and all its research was moved to neutral Naybra. If Lanoi really is after this biological weapon, it will sure be a plot twist when she discovers it is no longer in Gillenor. How's it sound? Any ideas?

What do you mean? And where is Oceanus?
Proud Member of the Panessos Community
| | The Western Isles of Naybra | |
Moving on Up
IIWiki | My History in NationStates | Embassy Program | Naybra International Airport | WIoN Inc.
DEFCON STATUS
1. Nuclear War
2. Engaged in War
3. Preparing for War
4. Sending Aid
5. Increase Intelligence Activity
6. Normal Readiness
Call me Naybra

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:09 am

Naybra wrote:
Ghant wrote:

What do you mean? And where is Oceanus?

Oceanus is in Gillenor.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Ghant wrote:I have not really much time lately to write new chapters for the RP, but I will be soon enough. In the meantime, I am posting a summary of the literary themes of the RP:

Well I've certainly been investigating the concept of an Ausitorian Prince: What do you do when you have absolute power (in principle), are absolutely free from corruption, and are absolutely certain of what is right? Do you proceed with what you know is right? Or do you step back from doing what you know is right? If liberty and individuality is right, should you shape the world according to your own view? (My nation isn't the least Authoritarian in all of Panessos without reason)! Do you have the confidence to proceed with absolute power? Do you have the confidence to proceed without it?

And that, briefly, is why my involvement in this imperfect war is likely to be agonizing.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Firmador
Minister

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Firmador » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:

Well I've certainly been investigating the concept of an Ausitorian Prince: What do you do when you have absolute power (in principle), are absolutely free from corruption, and are absolutely certain of what is right? Do you proceed with what you know is right? Or do you step back from doing what you know is right? If liberty and individuality is right, should you shape the world according to your own view? (My nation isn't the least Authoritarian in all of Panessos without reason)! Do you have the confidence to proceed with absolute power? Do you have the confidence to proceed without it?

And that, briefly, is why my involvement in this imperfect war is likely to be agonizing.

Could we please clear our OOC stuff up, I wanna post D:

And

"are absolutely certain of what is right?"

I'm pretty sure all tyrants, especially genocidal ones, feel this way.

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Don't mean to butt in on this, but could this be where DOZER steps in?
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Mizrad
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Also, Laoni is out to essentially conquer the world, right? Before Bavaria left, he and I were talking about this [As you probably all know and remember] and how things may play out. He and I had discussed how maybe Mizrad, Trenaria, The New Lowlands and other far east nations would be the final stand against her armies and sooner or later, all the nations would be invaded. Although I did want this to not be altered or have an end result determined. My point being everything so far has pretty much been gone according to a plan, and I want that whole concept thrown out the second the last pockets of resistance are invaded as it would make for a great RP to see other surviving nations and I getting invaded and either fending off enemy forces or succumbing to Laoni's might. If we lose, Laoni wins and the RP ends with Panessos being under her control IC'ly until something happens. If we win however, Laoni would most likely be killed and all of the "Evil" in Panessos would suffer the same fate.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Mizrad wrote:Also, Laoni is out to essentially conquer the world, right? Before Bavaria left, he and I were talking about this [As you probably all know and remember] and how things may play out. He and I had discussed how maybe Mizrad, Trenaria, The New Lowlands and other far east nations would be the final stand against her armies and sooner or later, all the nations would be invaded. Although I did want this to not be altered or have an end result determined. My point being everything so far has pretty much been gone according to a plan, and I want that whole concept thrown out the second the last pockets of resistance are invaded as it would make for a great RP to see other surviving nations and I getting invaded and either fending off enemy forces or succumbing to Laoni's might. If we lose, Laoni wins and the RP ends with Panessos being under her control IC'ly until something happens. If we win however, Laoni would most likely be killed and all of the "Evil" in Panessos would suffer the same fate.

One problem with that;
MAD.

Mizrad wrote:

Really not liking all this talk of silly weapons as a strict-MT RPer.
Last edited by The New Lowlands on Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mizrad
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:58 pm

The New Lowlands wrote:
Mizrad wrote:Also, Laoni is out to essentially conquer the world, right? Before Bavaria left, he and I were talking about this [As you probably all know and remember] and how things may play out. He and I had discussed how maybe Mizrad, Trenaria, The New Lowlands and other far east nations would be the final stand against her armies and sooner or later, all the nations would be invaded. Although I did want this to not be altered or have an end result determined. My point being everything so far has pretty much been gone according to a plan, and I want that whole concept thrown out the second the last pockets of resistance are invaded as it would make for a great RP to see other surviving nations and I getting invaded and either fending off enemy forces or succumbing to Laoni's might. If we lose, Laoni wins and the RP ends with Panessos being under her control IC'ly until something happens. If we win however, Laoni would most likely be killed and all of the "Evil" in Panessos would suffer the same fate.

One problem with that;
MAD.

Mizrad wrote:

Mad about what? I feel like I should know what you mean by this though lol.

In response to your second statement, zombie-like creatures already exist. Ever heard of bath salts or Hitler's biological weapons research? Not trying to be a wise ass there but, drugs that make humans act like things VERY similar to zombies already exist.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Mizrad wrote:
The New Lowlands wrote:One problem with that;
MAD.

Mad about what? I feel like I should know what you mean by this though lol.

In response to your second statement, zombie-like creatures already exist. Ever heard of bath salts or Hitler's biological weapons research? Not trying to be a wise ass there but, drugs that make humans act like things VERY similar to zombies already exist.

1)Not mad, MAD.

2) Sauce? :3

Mizrad
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Ohhh, that MAD. Well, it might not be like that considering that nuclear weapons would be near useless to a person who wants to have land and power going up against nations who believe in freedom and strive to free those under oppression. Blowing up territory and people would be useless to both sides. The reason this was so popular in the Cold War was because the only thing that the USSR wanted was the annihilation of the US and the US wanted to defend itself or simply blow up the Soviet Union. That and the fact the entire Cold War was based around the single largest build up of weapons the world has ever seen. This on the other hand, would be a perfect simile to the Second World War in a way. Hitler =Laoni Allies =The people against Laoni. Hitler nor the allies wished for the destruction of land except for the land of the people Hitler hated and for the allies, all of Germany. What I'm also trying to get at is that mutually assured destruction can't exist if one of the two sides has lost and disbanded.

Type in bath salts and Holocaust experiments on Google or find some books on them at your local library. I can't really name any specific sources off of the top of my head except for the multiple bath salt "Zombie" incidents [Like the one about the homeless guy in Florida getting his face eaten]. Despite this possibly being a unique effect upon the drug user, an effect that is common with all drugs of that type is the inability to feel pain. Which is why head and heart shots are the only things that will quickly bring down anybody hyped up on that stuff. As you may know, shooting a zombie in the head is the only way to stop one and that's why so many people think bath salt-related incidents are outbreaks of some zombie virus.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Mizrad wrote:Ohhh, that MAD. Well, it might not be like that considering that nuclear weapons would be near useless to a person who wants to have land and power going up against nations who believe in freedom and strive to free those under oppression. Blowing up territory and people would be useless to both sides. The reason this was so popular in the Cold War was because the only thing that the USSR wanted was the annihilation of the US and the US wanted to defend itself or simply blow up the Soviet Union. That and the fact the entire Cold War was based around the single largest build up of weapons the world has ever seen. This on the other hand, would be a perfect simile to the Second World War in a way. Hitler =Laoni Allies =The people against Laoni. Hitler nor the allies wished for the destruction of land except for the land of the people Hitler hated and for the allies, all of Germany. What I'm also trying to get at is that mutually assured destruction can't exist if one of the two sides has lost and disbanded.

Type in bath salts and Holocaust experiments on Google or find some books on them at your local library. I can't really name any specific sources off of the top of my head except for the multiple bath salt "Zombie" incidents [Like the one about the homeless guy in Florida getting his face eaten]. Despite this possibly being a unique effect upon the drug user, an effect that is common with all drugs of that type is the inability to feel pain. Which is why head and heart shots are the only things that will quickly bring down anybody hyped up on that stuff. As you may know, shooting a zombie in the head is the only way to stop one and that's why so many people think bath salt-related incidents are outbreaks of some zombie virus.

The thing is, if the United Provinces comes under an existential threat, the government won't give a damn. We already use lethal chemical agents and death squads on our own people- granted, they're secessionists, or in rarer cases bona fide reactionaries- but an existential threat to the Republic means 'bust out the nukes, see if we can't save some of the green belt.'

None of the chemical properties of bath salts make it come across as a particularly effective agent to weaponise.

Mizrad
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:28 pm

The New Lowlands wrote:
Mizrad wrote:Ohhh, that MAD. Well, it might not be like that considering that nuclear weapons would be near useless to a person who wants to have land and power going up against nations who believe in freedom and strive to free those under oppression. Blowing up territory and people would be useless to both sides. The reason this was so popular in the Cold War was because the only thing that the USSR wanted was the annihilation of the US and the US wanted to defend itself or simply blow up the Soviet Union. That and the fact the entire Cold War was based around the single largest build up of weapons the world has ever seen. This on the other hand, would be a perfect simile to the Second World War in a way. Hitler =Laoni Allies =The people against Laoni. Hitler nor the allies wished for the destruction of land except for the land of the people Hitler hated and for the allies, all of Germany. What I'm also trying to get at is that mutually assured destruction can't exist if one of the two sides has lost and disbanded.

The thing is, if the United Provinces comes under an existential threat, the government won't give a damn. We already use lethal chemical agents and death squads on our own people- granted, they're secessionists, or in rarer cases bona fide reactionaries- but an existential threat to the Republic means 'bust out the nukes, see if we can't save some of the green belt.'

None of the chemical properties of bath salts make it come across as a particularly effective agent to weaponise.

Indeed, although it doesn't have to be weaponized as itself. Variations can be made with it and multiple other drugs being used as the building blocks for virus and biological weapon research. You also don't even need to use bath salts, there's already fungus out there that forces ants and other small creatures to go insane before dying and turning into a spore to spread a virus. Considering it's highly contagious in both the infected psycho form and the infection spore form, this could be translated for use on humans with extensive research.

Although with multiple nations begging for you to not use nukes and instead using your forces to fend off the enemy, I would think you wouldn't use them. That or Ghant would leave you alone as I'm pretty sure he's banned all nuclear weapons in his nation and Laoni would have to gain access to another country's stockpiles, which you could simply bomb yourself.
Last edited by Mizrad on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Mizrad wrote:
The New Lowlands wrote:The thing is, if the United Provinces comes under an existential threat, the government won't give a damn. We already use lethal chemical agents and death squads on our own people- granted, they're secessionists, or in rarer cases bona fide reactionaries- but an existential threat to the Republic means 'bust out the nukes, see if we can't save some of the green belt.'

Indeed, although it doesn't have to be weaponized as itself. Variations can be made with it and multiple other drugs being used as the building blocks for virus and biological weapon research. You also don't even need to use bath salts, there's already fungus out there that forces ants and other small creatures to go insane before dying and turning into a spore to spread a virus. Considering it's highly contagious in both the infected psycho form and the infection spore form, this could be translated for use on humans with extensive research.

It'd still be significantly less reliable and more costly than other, more conventional weaponry.

Mizrad
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:31 pm

The New Lowlands wrote:
Mizrad wrote:

It'd still be significantly less reliable and more costly than other, more conventional weaponry.

Well you also don't have to have zombies, you could just create a more deadly strain of anthrax or something like that instead.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Mizrad wrote:
The New Lowlands wrote:It'd still be significantly less reliable and more costly than other, more conventional weaponry.

Well you also don't have to have zombies, you could just create a more deadly strain of anthrax or something like that instead.

Now I don't mean to come across as dickish, because I'm willing to bend the strict-reality rules I usually play by to a certain extent, but nonetheless such an agent- still requiring bajillions of [currency], would end up being less effective than the weapons already available at a much lower price, i.e. theater nuclear weaponry.
There's also a problem with any biological weapon that it carries the inherent risk of spreading everywhere, and will often simply be met with a nuclear or similar response.
I just don't see exactly why or how such a weapon would contribute to the story, but perhaps you can enlighten me.

Mizrad
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 pm

The New Lowlands wrote:
Mizrad wrote:

Now I don't mean to come across as dickish, because I'm willing to bend the strict-reality rules I usually play by to a certain extent, but nonetheless such an agent- still requiring bajillions of [currency], would end up being less effective than the weapons already available at a much lower price, i.e. theater nuclear weaponry.
There's also a problem with any biological weapon that it carries the inherent risk of spreading everywhere, and will often simply be met with a nuclear or similar response.
I just don't see exactly why or how such a weapon would contribute to the story, but perhaps you can enlighten me.

[Just for the record, I'm not insisting we use biological weapons, it's just a suggestion to introduce new and interesting areas to the plot]

Because what I had planned along with Naybra, Gillenor and Ghant would be that Laoni discovers these weapons and takes them up as her own. Whether or not she uses these weapons in the RP, I don't know. Although what I do know is that I had planned to make an RP after this if the whole "Invasion" thing plays out and we win against Laoni. This RP would be about a country, getting along but just scraping by but, the nation [Destinado Tierra or the Destined Land] has discovered massive mineral deposits which, until recent times were under the complete control of Mizrad and the country itself. Although with it being a hot bed for people who want to escape from things, some of Laoni's surviving supporters would get their hands on these bio-weapons and flee to Destinado Tierra. Here, they would continue their work but soon be discovered by Mizrad as they have a very tight relationship with the country. Here's where the RP actually starts, a few characters of mine that would be involved in tracking down the bio-weapons in this RP would be the main ones in the new RP. They would begin to discover more and more brutal mutations and killings in various parts of the country, and trace them back to Ghish citizens. Then to their dismay, they discover that these Ghish people are the ones manufacturing and threatening to use these weapons all over the world thus causing nuclear war and destroying Panessos, in turn avenging their loss. Therefore it's good that these weapons will cause really bad after effects considering it would be what drives the characters trying to stop the virus from spreading to do their jobs.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents