NATION

PASSWORD

The Griffon and the Peacock (IC, Please Sign Up First)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:45 am

Atchell nodded in agreement with Standish when he spoke of people. She truly did find it irrational, but then she did not think much of the Christian faith. To her it was not a true religion, more like a cult following. How could you have a true religion so divided within itself, one that could not agree even in its own doctrines? She was willing to allow it in the Empire only because it seemed relatively harmless, and because the Railtic Christians at least professed a version of it that made some sense to her. But a religion? Hardly.

She said none of this, however, preferring to remain in polite silence. She was slightly pleased to hear Roberts express some indignity with the line of the ceremony that had spoken of obedience. She had heard that Norvenia was more of a merit-based nation that others, and it seemed to show. For her absolute gender equality, while strange, was at least preferable to patriarchy. Especially if it produced strong women leaders, such as the Norvenian Colonel here.

"It sounds like a very complex and dangerous situation," she finally replied. "In the Royal Court we hear things, of course. All of the information in the Empire runs through us in some form or another. But we all pray daily for this country and its troubles. I hope that the Mother Goddess looks over you here Colonel. You are certainly doing Her work, and New Edom seems to have far more troubles than most."

The Shrailleeni looked over the menu, and decided to try the venison as well, along with wine. It would be interesting to try foreign spirits, and a wedding was one of the occasions for which the Shrailleeni drank alcohol. As Atchell spoke with Roberts, Talmar turned his attention to the Timothy Standish and the Imeriatans. He was surprised when he realized that they were speaking English, but not as surprised as he was to hear their lengthy titles. By the Goddess, it is like seeing the old tales of the ancients in real life!

He nodded at the Imeriatans with a glance at Standish. With his wife occupied, it was up to him to introduce himself on behalf of the Empire.

"Greetings from the Shrailleeni Empire, Queen Helena the sixth auf Stjarnkhrone, Princess Aula Romulus. And to you Lady Runa auf Stjarnkhrone and Lord Arik auf Sandersja."

The strange names were pronounced with great difficulty, but he fought through them in the name of politeness. The Empire had dispensed of such lengthy titles long ago, finding more succinct titles to be fitting for a royalty whose powers and prestige where implied. They seemed friendly enough, however, so he returned the friendliness in his own voice.

"This is Queen Atcheel Thrina fe Fromathra, of the Greater Fromathrine Queendom," he introduced his wife first, who paused to give the Imeriatans a polite bow. "And I am Regent Talmar Thrina fe Fromathra, of the Greater Fromathrine Queendom and third child of the Mother Empress Chella Resyanna fe Shrailleen. On behalf of My Mother, I greet you with honor. And I am glad that you find the climate pleasing. It is actually a bit cooler than we Shrailleeni are used to."
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Izzyshipper
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Izzyshipper » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:32 am

Isabella giggled, looking at Mara with an amused twinkle in her eyes. She drained her wine glass, her venison all but untouched - she preferred lobster but had ordered the deer to spite Thomas - and patted Mara's shoulder. "Oh well, I suppose that's one way to find a husband," She said airily, "Only if very handsome men are the ones doing the painting understand?"

Sophia nodded to the Prince Regent, "Fair enough. I have attended enough of these to see the eyes of guests droop when it's time to raise a glass for the toast." Having sorted the technicality, she started on her lobster, vaguely wondering why Isabella was giving her envious looks. The Queen was much of the opinion of Thomas, for a woman who had spent her girlhood with her father shooting and hunting, she always found game cooked by some of the finest chefs somewhat defeated the point.

James, who had been very involved with his meal tugged slightly at Victoria's dress. "Am I allowed to come visit you at Edom?"

Victoria smiled and planted a kiss on her brother's cheek, who for once didn't protest. "Of course, in fact you have to. It's compulsory, didn't you know? Besides, Thomas would get too bored without you - isn't that right, Thomas?"

Isabella's lips twitched, "Goodness, Mara, barely back on the market and handsome men are knocking at your door," she said, winking at her friend, "James must have heard Victoria is to be your Matron of Honour and is already planning to sweep you of your feet."

James shot his sister a death glare to which the Archduchess merely stuck her tongue out at him. James was quiet for a minute before tugging at Victoria's dress again, "Am I allowed two desserts?"

The young bride laughed, "Why not?"
Last edited by Izzyshipper on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Female |I use UK Spelling

Wise princes avoid as much as they can being in other men's power - Niccolò Machiavelli

Government- Monarchy
Ruler - Queen Sophia I
Demonym - Izzyerian

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:23 am

Toishima

Deon Theron had the beginnings of a genuine grin on his face, Ser Rufus thought. The Toishimese (was that was their demonym, he wondered) seemed polite and well-bred. The Duke of Delos preferred such company."Yes, I am. This is my wife the Duchess of Delos, Abigail. She seems to be fine with 'Duchess Abigail', if it please you. And of course my lovely daughter Katherine." He gestured to both in turn, then paused. "Oh, and Ser Rufus Poole, the envoy to the court of House Obed of New Edom."

Rufus smiled while both Theron women gave curt bows of the head. Katherine giggled lightly at Princess Maki's soft outburst, but did so in a friendly and not condescending fashion.

To Princess Kagami's uncomfortable greeting, the Duchess gave a warm smile that reached her eyes. "You do me an honour, Princess," she said. "I am but rather more humble than my husband, as well. My grandparents acquired their modest incomes by trading in foreign goods in Patriciastadt. By chance I met Deon at a social event, and he wanted to marry me. Even when I turned him down twice."

The Duke blushed and adjusted his monocle to buy time. "My lady was smarter than any two people I'd met. No doubt she used some reverse psychology to trick me into proposing!" But he was smiling now too, with no hurt in his words.

Turning back to the Imperial Prince, the Duke finished adjusting the monocle. "And so we've sat on Delos the last few decades, building wealth with nary a bit of involvement in Cornellian affairs. But all things must change, or so my Duchess tells me.

"And you, Prince Kaji, what brings your party here?"

Ser Rufus was struggling to pay attention, while Katherine poked at his arm while whispering "When does the dancing start?"

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Norvenia
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:36 am

Tim Standish's eyes glazed over as the Imeriatans introduced themselves...and introduced themselves...and introduced themselves. My God, how does this country even still exist? It's...medieval. He was privately relieved when Talmar interceded. Considerably more collected by the end of the Shrailleeni man's introductions, Standish smiled brightly. "I must confess that the weather in New Edom is rather warm all year round, by Norvenian standards. But I assure you, Majesties, your Lordship and Ladyship - the hospitality of our hosts more than makes up for the heat, on this day as on almost every day." Standish chuckled. "I've been in this country almost a year, and while I often rue the reasons for my posting, I have rarely regretted the assignment itself. This is a remarkable nation, with much to teach us all."

Steele raised an eyebrow at that. He could see what Standish was up to. In the most cunning possible way, the diplomat was testing the Imeriatans, almost baiting them. They had a reputation for ethnocentrism, even xenophobia; they were not known for their belief in learning from other nations and cultures. So now Standish put them in a subtle vice: either they agreed that they had much to learn from New Edom, or they tacitly insulted their hosts while sitting as guests at the very table of those hosts. For the Imeriatans to choose the former option would elevate their status in Norvenian eyes; for them to decide upon the latter course would prove the worst theories of Norvenian cultural analysts. Either way, Standish would come away with a valuable firsthand understanding of Imeriatan ideas and norms. It was a clever test, one which most people - even politicians and diplomats - wouldn't even recognize as anything outside the realm of normal conversation.

Roberts, for her part, nodded gratefully. "I hope that God watches over us too, your Majesty, no matter what name we know God by. And prayers never hurt, Lord knows." Roberts sighed, shook her head. "But I wish I had your certainty that we are doing God's work. I know that we're trying, that's for sure. And maybe that's all we can do." Roberts closed her eyes a moment, shoulders slumped with unutterable weariness. "Christ," she murmured, almost to herself. "I don't know." The Norvenian's eyes opened again, and she glanced over at Atchell. "But we do try," she said with a tired smile. "I just have to hope that trying is enough."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 am

Izzyshipper

Mara was amused by Isabella. "I'm sure the painters will enjoy painting you. You know that I went on a diplomatic mission to the Late Roman Empire and because at the time Sif Finnhald was acting President, as a compliment to the Free Congress I went wearing only paint, sandals and jewelry? It was very liberating."

"Actually after a while the whole nakedness thing becomes one of aesthetic rather than titillation," said Olivia. "It's tension not complacency that creates arousal."

"Livvy, there are children present," said Mara reprovingly.

Olivia smiled. "I doubt he understands, and what's wrong with discussing such a thing if he does not? We are talking generalities, not specifics. My point is that it seems naughty because you've not done it yet, Isabella, but for example in my novel Elwe Captive all the tension comes from the fact that my heroine is used to wearing long gowns and undergarments, and then finds herself among the half naked or sometimes quite naked Elwe, forced to live as they do, and so it's a titillating read because of the contrast." Olivia noticed her brother staring at her, almost glaring, and that he doffed back a swallow of wine and put it down with a clunk on the table.

Prince James nodded to Queen Sophia. "Very well...then let us begin. I believe you should go first."

When the Queen stood up, Marshal Achan also did, and said, "Your Majesties, Highnesses, Excellencies, my Lords, Ladies and gentlemen, pray silence for Queen Sophia of Izzyshipper."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Izzyshipper
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Izzyshipper » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 am

Isabella raised a single eyebrow, "You two are a terribly bad influence on such a young, naive and innocent little Princess such as me." Isabella said, clutching her heart in mock shock, "Talking of corrupting maidens, Olivia, I have yet to read your delightful novels - she hinted heavily, expecting signed copies for Christmas." Isabella laughed, nudging the Countess to reinforce her point.

Sophia stood, looking at the crowd of faces before her and smiling slightly at the flutter of nerves that still arose in her stomach despite countless speeches she had made in her life. Taking a deep breath, she motioned with her hand.

"We have, throughout our life, been subject to much gifts and privileges due to the high position of our birth. Yet to me, the greatest jewel is not some mere rock ripped from the womb of the earth but that which I share with many present; the love of my children I count as the highest honour that could be bestowed upon me. Therefore it is with a most bitter-sweet feeling that I hand such a treasure to the man before me," Sophia gestured briefly to Count Lalery.

"To him I charge him to keep my beloved daughter happy and healthy with nothing but the sweetest words to say about him. To my darling Victoria, I shall say for her to use her natural wit and charm to assist her husband in all his endeavours, to keep him content and to make him glad to call her his wife. So before I hand you into the hands of my illustrious colleague, His Royal Highness The Prince Regent, I ask you to raise your glass," The Queen concluded, raising her own glass, "To Their Royal Highnesses, The Archduke and Archduchess of Vinera, Count and Countess Lalery, Husband and Wife."

Wise princes avoid as much as they can being in other men's power - Niccolò Machiavelli

Government- Monarchy
Ruler - Queen Sophia I
Demonym - Izzyerian

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:14 pm

There was applause in response to the Queen's speech, and then glasses were raised, and her words echoed loudly, and much drinking and quaffing and slurping in response. In New Edom, you didn't just take a sip, you drained your glass with each toast. Count Lalery beamed. "Thanks Ma," he said cheerfully to her.

Prince James stood up then, and glanced at a piece of paper which he then handed to Princess Rebecca. He smiled. "What can I say about my nephew--who has been like a son to me? He can be stubborn, bloody minded, and even cruel--the bad side of being a Baran. He is also loyal, generous, brave, and a man of honour. I am proud of him, and I am glad that he has found so loving, kind hearted, intelligent and lovely a bride as Princess Victoria. I am not, as all of you doubtless know, much of a man for long speeches, and so I shall keep this one brief. The Archbishop spoke of words from the Holy Scripture that are important to remember. I urge you both to remember this: love in marriage is not the wild passion they show in the movies--it is something cultivated with care and tenderness. It is a partnership explored with thoughtfulness and pursuit of wisdom; true passion comes with discipline and the love which is more in our chosen actions--those actions we choose that show our preference for forgiveness, understanding, patience, mercy, kindness, wisdom, and seeking the best for our spouse. So I hope that those of you who pray will hold this couple in your prayers, and that those who have been witness to them will give them every encouragement to remember that their vows are not merely to an institution, but to one another. Friends, I give you the Bride and Groom." he raised his glass.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Izzyshipper
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Izzyshipper » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Isabella applauded with the rest of the room as she decided to follow the Baran custom and drained her glass completely. Noticing a small pause, she turned to Mara and Olivia with a start, "Bugger, it's my turn isn't it?"

Hastily standing up, Isabella regarded the room confidently with her hand resting on her hip. "Today was a day which saw a beautiful, young woman walk up the aisle to the astonishment of all those assembled. Of course, Victoria looked rather pretty as well," Isabella said, with a smile hoping people would take it in jest rather than a self obsessed observation of a spoiled royal. Sometimes people expected so little of a Princess, her eyes flickered to Victoria who had laughed and felt relieved that she had least found it funny. "But sadly this speech can't all be about me. No, instead I must talk about this divine creature beside me, my darling sister and ever-so beautiful Princess Victoria. Whose grace, beauty and intelligence far outshines any other in the House Maddox and who finds herself in the arms of the dashing Thomas, Count Lalery.

This sweet little girl is now under the care of this strapping figure, who has guided my shy and timid Victoria into a confident young woman ready to take on the nest stage of her life. Therefore for that I thank him and alongside him I thank the two extraordinary women who have shepherded this couple and ceremony, the Countess Olivia and Princess Mara who I have the pleasure of officially calling my sisters. Lastly I thank you, august dignitaries and friends for sharing this special day with the House Maddox and Obed."

Government- Monarchy
Ruler - Queen Sophia I
Demonym - Izzyerian

Arbites
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:56 pm

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry," Sam said to Felicia while taking a number of mental notes. "I had no idea, I didn't mean to draw attention to...well, everything. I wouldn't dwell on it though, all sinners can be redeemed, and life has ways of surprising everybody." In spite of herself, Sam couldn't help but wonder why the woman was so focused on work instead of raising a family. Certainly she should have been able to find a husband easily enough.

Jake was acutely aware the men were looking to avoid conversation if possible. For diplomats, the pair seemed somewhat...undiplomatic, not saying a single word to break the tension. 'Can they really be so absorbed in Adiron's lies that they cannot be civil?' the Imperial ambassador wondered. He decided to try the old tactic of playing dumb, pretending the other side simply didn't know who he was.

"Life is always full of surprises," Jake said after the toasts. "Amongst them is the fact that I don't think we have been formally introduced. Jacob Lee, Ambassador to New Edom," he said to the Count on his left, offering his hand. "I'm guessing, based on your silence thus far, that you're already aware of where I'm from."
He who stands with me shall be my brother

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:39 pm

The Therons paused their conversation with the Toishimese royalty as Prince James and Queen Sophia stood and spoke. Ser Rufus joined them as the guests gave polite applause, then raised their glasses in toasts. With his own glass in hand the Duke called out in a deep voice, "Wes hal; good health!" and was echoed more softly by his wife and daughter. Rufus mirrored His Grace in taking a deep sip, as did the Duchess. Katherine, on the other hand, imitated the New Edomite tradition and emptied her glass. The Theron daughter's face flushed as she smiled widely and glanced around, obviously enjoying the atmosphere greatly. The Duke said nothing on it.

Overall, the wedding was to Ser Rufus an interesting occurrence. Strange in how parts were carried out, yet familiar in other regards. For an instant he wondered what sort of wedding Lord Jacob would have had, had he married the Edomite princess. Blæclæc or Baran? Worlds that weren't, he supposed, and dismissed the thought.

Lady Katherine was still beaming at the gaiety of it all, looking to the other guests and nobility. No doubt sizing up potential dance partners, Rufus considered. A duke's daughter was no small catch. Perhaps His Grace had thought it out himself, else why bring his own daughter to a foreign wedding? It seemed to him that the Duke of Delos held foreigners in some impersonal contempt, though. Such thoughts made his eyes turn of their own accord to the Duchess, who maintained a pure smile as she toasted the newlyweds.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 am

Izzyshipper

"Well done," said Mara, clapping with others as Isabella sat down. "Sometimes I think we should have a herald to make sure people know how to respond to our speeches. And thank you for the last bit."

Count Merodach stood, and said, "I have little that I can add to what has been said. I would like only to extend this traditional wedding blessing:
All earthly goods I wish thee.
All that's good for thee and thine
And still, not only earthly
But all we know to be divine.

May earth and heaven mingle
May earth and heaven be one
All through your earthly journey
Till sets your earthly sun.

In Sunshine and in shadow
Through dancing and in song
May heaven bless your union
Throughout your whole life long.
." he smiled and bowed to the couple, and sat down.

Prince James then stood again, and said, "We are now going to repair to the ballroom for some dancing. While there will be an opening dance for the bride and groom, there will also be dancing immediately following. I am glad that you are all here to celebrate this occasion with us."

The ballroom was decorated with a combination of purple and white flowers in heart shaped arrangements, with banners of peacock and griffon, and and had a floor of cunningly fitted wooden pieces, a gallery for the band, as well as others for people who didn't want to take part and could be out of the way of the dancers. Servant girls (the same from the banqueting hall) were there to serve champagne, wine and refreshments.

Mara pinched Isabella, and murmured, "Don't laugh during the song."

"There's nothing funny about it at all," said Olivia, who seemed suddenly on the verge of tears, watching the couple moving to the center of the floor as the song began, as Count Lalery took Princess Victoria in his arms.

Thomas looked into Victoria's eyes as he put his arms around her, and just as they had done on their first meeting, led her gracefully around the floor. "I wonder," he murmured to her, "If my cousins are trying to tell us something...flattering you and making fun of me? Ah well. Let them have their fun," he said with a grin. "We're due for more fun pretty shortly, you and me, my little ermine."

During this time, the other guests, while watching, would also have opportunity to choose their dance partners.

Izzyshipper
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Izzyshipper » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Isabella kept her face straight, "Why would I laugh, sweet pea, this is quite serious," she said, her tone not betraying her mirth, although the amused twinkle in her eye gave her away. She put an arm around both Mara and Olivia, "Look at them, together at last. Oh, we did well sweet things, although if anyone asks me I will claim sole credit."

"Stealing the limelight again, Bells?" a male voice said, and Isabella turned around with a squeal of delight and hugged her cousin.

"Felipe! My precious Felipe, we where not sure if you would make it from Maraque!" Isabella said, kissing her relative.

"And miss this?" the handsome young Prince said, bowing to Olivia and Mara, "I shall leave you to your beautiful companions, I think my dear Aunt Sophia would like to see me."

Isabella nodded, waving goodbye, "Oh, this is making me broody, I want a husband. Or a man for an hour, whatever is easier."

Victoria giggled, trying to remember those lessons with Miss Summers at Queen Alexandria's Finishing school for girls, dancing lessons had always been something of an embarrassment for Victoria. Either dancing with other girls which usually ended in fits of laughter or with boys from other schools using it as an excuse to try and cop a feel at young girls. Yet it had done the job as Victoria danced her waltz with grace, grateful that Thomas lead quite well.

"Well it's their mistake," She said, turning while trying not to trip on her dress, "Beside I do believe the beast turns into a handsome Prince with a kiss."

She leaned forward, her face inches from his, blushing at his later comment, "You're right though, we are due some fun. I have been due that for quite some number of years."

She bit her lip, realising that soon the title of maiden would be in the past - something she was quite looking forward to.

Government- Monarchy
Ruler - Queen Sophia I
Demonym - Izzyerian

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:18 pm

"Your royal highness, Hern!" the high queen said as she nodded towards the queen and the man while the rest of the group bowed quickly or curtsied in the case of the females in the group towards "I would wish you the greatest wishes of the absolute royal federation and all of her realms that my husband rules!"
"But too hot Herr Talmar Trina fe Fromatra? I take it that herr is from a more southern realm then?" the queen said with a chuckle as it was almost spring temperatures outside according to any good Scanderan as the memory of the howling winds, the dark nights and the snow that fell outside came back with no difficulty.

"But what are you Sharillen used to then herr? If herr does not mind my ignorance on the matter!" she continued as she suppressed the nice imagery of a good Scanderan night where you could hear the wind howl from the city alleyways, how you could see the warm lights from the streetlights and the houses on the other side of the palace gates that were otherwise entirely hidden by the falling snow or the sound later on of children playing in the snow or making a few khrönor showling away snow or running some other errants when the "day" came.

Of course since the long night had descended upon their home so had they not seen daylight for a long long time which the queen had to admit was one of the nicer parts about the land since she missed light that did not come from burning oil a electric lamp. She returned a smile towards the Norvenian ambassador as she could feel a bit sympathy for him as she would not wish to be trapped here in the summer.

"Most nations have at least something little glimmering in them herr Tim Standish!" she said with another smile, of course being a Scanderan meant that she herself had very little left to learn but that was better left unsaid. Something the older officer hardly seemed to be very interested in doing judging from his grunting in disapproval.
"The same people that runs around naked outside herr? I remain somewhat sceptical to their ability to teach anyone anything, us least of all!" Erik muttered and the frown he made was echoed in the thick moustache and sideburns that he wore that seemed to frown as well as he shook his head.
"I know tribesmen from the darkest corners of the earth that at least have the sense to dress in a fitting manner no matter what other flaws they have!" he said in a final disapproving grunt.
"Well his lordship I would have to disagree with you there, they might be somewhat... less dressed than common decency would demand but I do believe there is something good about the natives here!" Runa pointed out as the officer simply grunted in disapproval while she shook her head, they built things nice looking after all and she suspected that there would be some other qualities that would at least be Scanderan enough to be proper enough.
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Izzyshipper

As the next dance began, Mara and Olivia glanced at one another and then at Isabella. Mara then said, "Well, Bells, if you're really that horny--you only have to say. I know that my father has this guardsman in his service--he's always got a clean bill of health. I swear, you'll probably have to go bow legged from what I hear from the servant girls. Like you could use it as a battering ram. Not that I'd know, you know."

"Or we could introduce her to someone. Would you like to be introduced?" asked Olivia, shaking her head at Mara.

Meanwhile, Thomas brought Victoria to a twirling end, and kissed her once more. "We should mingle, but remember, the last dance before we end this evening for ourselves belongs to me." He then kissed her hand and made his way towards his aunt, Princess Rebecca, and led her out onto the floor.

Admiral Rand led his wife onto the floor; President Touchstone did not dance. Dr. Elizabeth Salt sat hopefully, wondering if anyone would ask her, while Sarah Carmel and her husband Dr. Stephen Carmel went to dance together. Lieutenant Gareth Carmel asked Sarah Dominguez to dance, and Ruth stole off for some more ice cream. Count Merodach asked his wife Missy to dance, and Captain Marcus Cotta was about to ask Princess Marissa for a dance when he saw General Hesperinus heading over there, and stopped and turned in another direction.

The General, hairy browed, lumpen nosed, square cheeked and beetle browed, looking somewhat like a shaved ape in a dress uniform (albeit a beautiful uniform, with gold braid, decorations glittering, sword with gold hilt and pommel, riding boots like mirrors) and was even a bit bandy legged like an ape, but his bow was perfection as he said with smiling confidence, "I hope I do not trouble Your Highness," to Princess Marissa, "But may I ask that you honour me with a dance?"

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Roman party

Postby Late Roman Empire » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Felicia sighed at her own folly in using the word "sinner". That might leave an opening for a fanatic like those at the table with her.

"I appreciate the sentiments you expressed, but you should understand that we all have a calling from Heaven. Presumably your religion teaches that, just as my faith does. That we worship a different God shouldn't change that. My mother practiced the ancient Hilvian cult, instead of trusting in Christ like my father and myself. She didn't grasp the notion of a calling in the same way, never could.

"A strangely hedonistic folk, the Hilvians, far more interested in pleasure and frivolity, not enough in duty and honor. Nevertheless, they have some principles, and I respect a few of their customs, such as abstaining from all seafood, even though I do not share their worship of their ancestors, which is idolatry, of course. I am a Roman first, and then a Hilvian, in spite of my ears.

"I do not expect you to understand, given that your own religion has its own values that are distinct in their own way. Even so, perhaps we can respect our differences. If my companions seem a bit distant, it is perhaps due to recent tensions, and frankly, some doctrinal controversy about you in the Church. There are many who have made claims about you that I find hard to credit in their extremity. Even so, perhaps we can move beyond the bad blood of the past. Am I right, Count?" Felicia turned to her companion, urging Marcian to relax a little, mostly because she had provided a face-saving way to acknowledge the Arbitians....

.....yes, the tactic seemed to bear fruit....seem a bit aloof, and then ease into a friendlier pose in the guise of initiating conversation among the ladies.

"Well, of course. Forgive my awkwardness on this occasion. There have been some disputes regarding your status among the unconverted. They have made us a bit more introspective and more given to observation rather than contact at such rare encounters as this. I do recall, however, that your representative at the late conference proved to be, surprisingly, a voice of reason. Both he and Prophet Burden surprised me that way, as it happens. Perhaps some progress is conceivable toward a warming of the previous frosty relations between our lands," Count Marcian added, winking at Felicia to indicate that she had played her part well, that of the nagging woman. He hoped that the Magists didn't get the right idea about their relationship from that, but it was always a risk.

"Naturally, Your Excellency, one hopes for the best," Marcellinus concurred, while Basilina nodded through her tears.

The careful phrases were intended to avoid going too far, too fast, to prevent causing any reckless mistakes or blunders.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Imperial Yamea
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Yamea » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:57 am

Tomas and Kathlynn finished their dinner and dessert off, listing attentively to the speeches. Once the wedding party moved to the dance floor Tomas and Kathlynn joined the rest of the guests in moving as well. As they made their way into the ballroom Tomas again began fussing over his wife. "Do you feel able to do a couple of dances my dear? In your condition we don't want anything to happen." Tomas fretted.

Kathlynn laughed at Tomas' worry and stroked his cheek lightly. "I will be fine my love, don't forget we have to keep up the appearence for a few more weeks at least, what would your mother think if the press got wind of ... my condition. I will simply have to have a few dances." Kathlynn said this with a slight smile and a twinkle in her eye, they both new she loved dancing.

During the first dance they made their way over stand next to the Crown Prince Edward and his wife Aredhel who they had been talking to earlier. Kathlynn asked Aredhel "Will you be dancing my dear? Just a couple of slower dances for me tonight." Then she accepted another glass of carbonated water from one of the serving girls.
Member of The Commonwealth of Crowns

United NW Canada
Osberg-Thitania
Member of the Commonwealth of Crowns

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:33 am

Aredhel, after bidding farewell the Yamean princes, spent most of the dinner quietly eating while only occasionally, to avoid being seen as dull or, worse, rude speaking a jest, a compliment, a witticism or other sound bite. No doubt inspired by pregnancy induced hormones the Crown Princess felt slightly nostalgic about the whole affair, only the second western themed wedding she had ever attended. Much to her own dismay Aredhel felt a tingle in her tear ducts, heralding the arrival of a few sincere tears between the speeches of the Queen and Prince James. Though it seemed a proper enough moment to shed a tear or two Aredhel preferred her tears to be produced by her mind not her heart.

Joining the rest of the wedding party in the ballroom the Crown Princess observed the wedded couple have their first dance while sipping her fake champagne. She had to admit they made a strapping couple. Even if she remained somewhat ambivalent in her opinion on the sensibility of the match made for Victoria the older woman did seem more happy than Aredhel had seen her in a long time. It was difficult not to get carried away, even when you knew how fickle an emotion love was. Aredhel's position on love was definitely more in sync with the one expounded by Prince James in his speech than the one advanced by the Countess Olivia in her books.

During dinner, which for both of them where the vegan choice, Atanamir and Arien made casual and playful banter with their Tartarian counterparts. Atanamir, in response to Princess Marissa's question to his previous visits to New Edom, told what he thought was a most entertaining, if perhaps slightly unseemly, tale of his prior visit to the Allied States. Though the story could no doubt have been a dramatic thriller detailing the responses of Edomitte, Quendi and Xanadouvian regimes to the Dengali crisis in Atanamir's tale it became much more of an exciting backdrop for an animated story about the Prince's first meeting with the Obed family.

Atanamir, who could be quite charismatic after a glass of wine and with an attentive and beautiful listener, courteously avoided revealing too much about Princess Mara and her Riemaian friend, Princes Anneli. It concerned no one that the two princesses had seemingly been both alcoholics and drug addicts, however high functioning. A certain Pomeranian and the fast talking of the princess however seemed innocent enough to be shared, and entertaining enough to be worth sharing.

Arien, who had never been to New Edom before, remained silent for the most part, only occasionally interjecting a few words of her own. While Atanamir forgot himself she carefully made sure that the Edomitte royalists did not feel excluded by quizzing them on their life and their monarchy. She was the sister of Aredhel after all.

After the dinner ended, Atanamir, quite smitten by Princess Marissa whose beauty and charm had not been something his sister had given half the attention it required in her story, thought to invite the Tartarian princess for a dance and was quite disappointed that the Edomitte general beat him to it. Instead he turned to Prince Hugo. "But I have been remiss, boring your highness with my silly story. Please do forgive my insolence and please tell me is it true that a match between the Tartarian and the Late Roman Empire is under way?" The prince spoke, hiding his disappointment.

Arien, who was not quite as good as her cousin at hiding her emotions, despite her sisterhood, looked at Princess Marissa with a little bit of jealousy. Dressed as she was in a military uniform Arien was quite self conscious about her appearance and since she knew almost no one at the wedding had not exactly expected a queue of dancing partners to line up before her, but it would have been nice.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:43 am

The dinner had been very pleasant, with both the Tartarians listening and enjoying Atanamir’s story about his visit to New Edom. While neither were aware of Mara and Anneli’s drug taking, they were both aware of the two women’s behaviour, having met both on occasion. They had also heard stories from a joint friend of the Edomite Princess and theirs regarding some exploits at a party. But like Atanamir, they merely stuck to the general times that they had shared, which seemed to including dancing, hunting and having very enjoyable times.

They followed everyone into the ballroom and watched the first dance, Marissa being highly amused by the choice of song, even though it did seem a little harsh on Count Lalery. While she did not know him that well, she had spent a weekend with his family and he seemed pleasant enough, but then he could have been on his best behaviour. She knew that her own family were far different in the privacy of their own homes than they were on occasions where they mingled with guests.

“It would be my pleasure,” Marissa said to General Hesperinus, with her usual delightful smile. She had been hoping to be asked to dance by the Quendi, when she was approached by someone she had seen mingling with the New Edomites. She excused herself from her brother and their companions and allowed herself to be led to the dance floor for the next dance, which was a waltz. She bobbed a slight curtsey and then took up her position, as the music began to play.

Prince Hugo watched as his sister left with General Hesperinus. Unlike Marissa, he took the time to read through guest lists and dossiers so that he knew who was who. He turned back to Atanamir and grinned at his apology for boring him. “It was a very entertaining story and made dinner very interesting,” he said, his voice indicating the sincerity of his words.

“It is indeed true, our cousin Princess Serena is to be married to Emperor Valerian of the Late Roman Empire,” he said, with a slight nod of the head. “It is a match that is greeted with joy by both families and is also of historic significance, as it brings about an alliance between the two empires and heels the rifts of the past.” Hugo was a bit of a fan of Tartarian history, so he liked that he was there to bear witness to one of the biggest events that had happened in many a year.
Nation name: The Empire of Tartarus
Nationality: Tartarian

Ruler: Her Imperial Majesty, Gehenna, Empress of Tartarus

Arbites
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 am

Unable to resist, Sam finally couldn't help herself. "I've been meaning to ask about that, I've never seen ears shaped quite like yours," she said to Felicia. "Were you born with them? I mean, are they naturally pointed like that?"

Lee was a little dismayed at Marcian's decidedly stiff reaction. On the one hand, they acknowledged the Imperium was subject to vicious rumor. On the other, they seemed to subscribe to those very rumors themselves. He replied with a grin, "Count, though I certainly appreciate the sentiment of restoring Roman-Imperial relations, this is a wedding. Let's be realistic, I do not expect the two of us can overcome two decades of chilly relations here in the next couple of hours or so."

He was only half-joking; the Order Pacific was skeptical if the rift could be bridged at all. "You must be referring to Ambassador Gallus, the Imperium's representative at the latest regional conference," Lee said, changing the subject. "By his account, despite Tartarus' best efforts, it was largely a sham aside from the CPO. The Greymarkers filibustered, the Bratoslovoukians and Wielkilans' unprofessional representatives simply wandered off, the Cookish attempted to usurp the hosts' position, and the Adirans were busy spreading their usual lies."

"Sanity must be restored to this region before any meaningful degree of cooperation can take place. I pray that the impending union between the Empire and Tartarus will act as a badly-needed force for stability after the events of the past year," he said, looking contemplative. "I'm sure, based on the state of Roman-Imperial relations, that you regard the Imperium as running counter to those aims. Though I may not change your entire country's mind, if I am able, I can endeavor to dispel some of the misconceptions about my country you alluded to earlier."
Last edited by Arbites on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who stands with me shall be my brother

Izzyshipper
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Izzyshipper » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 am

Isabella laughed nervously, even for the liberal and, in some ways, libertine Princess the language was a little direct for her to take effortlessly. "My, I think you have done the impossible and made Isabella blush," Victoria said, gliding towards them from the dance floor. She kissed Mara and Olivia before giving Isabella an amused look.

"Don't talk nonsense," Isabella said, her hand in her hip while cursing the heat of her cheeks. Isabella was not used to being considered the prude and she rather liked being seen as daring. "I am but flushed from all this excitement and I do not need help in getting gorgeous men to dance with me."

"Suit yourself, although it's not too late to take Mara up on her offer, body paint would look so good on you." Victoria said, winking. Isabella was appalled, barely married two minutes and she was acting as though she was running a brothel - she was still a virgin for goodness sake. Balance had to be restored to the universe.

"Daddy!" Victoria said happily, hugging her father who led her off to dance.

Edward, Crown Prince smiled as the Yamea coupled wandered over although a little put out in that he had hoped to invite Aredhel to dance. "Of course we will be dancing," he replied, "Can't let her steal the show all day can I?"

Government- Monarchy
Ruler - Queen Sophia I
Demonym - Izzyerian

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:56 pm

Aredhel smiled at the two Yamean Princes, sincerely glad to meet them again. Though she too planned to have a couple of dances with her husband, who knew how long she would remain gracile enough to rule a dance floor, she was a patient woman, and knew the value of mingling. Besides for all the brevity of her conversation with Princess Kathlynn Aredhel's instincts told her that she had something in common with the other woman. The Inquisition had taught her to trust on the superbly fine tuned instrument that was her subconscious and thus the Crown Princess greeted the Yameans with a sincerely warm and pleasant smile.

"I most certainly will." Aredhel said slipping her arm between her husband's. "What wedding would it be if there was no dancing." She added, a smirk on her lips at the thought of how Quendi weddings saw very different dances being practiced than those of the Western countries. "Are you fond of dancing, Princess?" Aredhel asked, perfectly well aware of the Princess's affinity for dancing, and even what sort of dances in particular interested her.

Atanamir, not without one last lingering look towards Princess Marissa and her suitor, a New Edomitte military man that Atanamir did not recall the name of, the young prince nodded interestedly. Though not terribly concerned, to put it mildly, with the joy of the dynasties of Tartarus and the Late Roman Empire the political aspects where captivating and the historic ones interesting. Though the enfant terrible of the Alcedina Dynasty did not pause to contemplate whether the Tartarian-Roman marriage indicated a general tendency in the ruling houses of the two countries to open up to increased "out-marrying", the alliance and its consequences for the balance of power in Cornellia fascinated him.

Arien, unsurprisingly, had a different perspective. Not, of course, that she was unable to consider the political implications, she was Alcedina so that came as naturally to her as breathing. But Arien was also an eighteen year old girl with a tender, almost dreamy nature. Neither harsh military training with the elite soldiers of Aman or the infinitely harsher upbringing she had been subjected to at the Palace of Scholastic Excellence prevented her from being an incurable romantic, why her thoughts went in a different direction than that of her cousin.

Almost simultaneous the two princes made their thoughts on the match known. "Two of the largest Cornellian Empires united by blood will surely make for a more stable region." Atanamir spoke. "I hope they will be very happy and have a beautiful wedding." Spoke Arien. Resisting the temptation to laugh at his kinswoman's absurd comment Atanamir merely shook his head. "Well I believe congratulations are in order, may their union bear much fruit." He said formally so as to hide his amusement.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:59 pm

"well..." Runa said as she rose up looking a bit discomforted but managed to smile a bit as she curtsied "If my lords, herrar and royal highnesses does not mind so had I planned to join the dancing, those of us not married would surely be able to enjoy it!" she explained sounding a bit apologetic as she looked sideways at the young lancer that seemed not to have gotten the hint as he had instead decided to fill his mouth with one of the beverages.

With a annoyed look on her face did she look at the elven servant that rose up with a slight giggle at her mistress failed attempt. Looking a bit more annoyed did she clear her throat as she noticed how most of the group looked at the still drinking and still very oblivious young man that seemed to to look in the other direction in a thoughtful manner.
"I do believe that was a invitation friherre squire Fridhlef auf Ekhjarta!" Princess Aula said with a amussed smile spreading on her face as the eyes of the young man widened a lot and he made a rather peculiar sound that seemed to be the combination of a cough, someone choking and a "what?!?" as he managed to both get his drink in his lungs even if he to Runa's surprise were able to not get anything on the floor.
"ME?!? uhmm... sure of course your ladyship... I did... I mean t'was not like... I just... my family... I am but a... yes, yes of course I would be honoured!" he managed to stutter out of himself as he rose up hastly and managed to tip his chair over.
"oh... uhmm sorry my lords, ladies, royal highnesses..." he muttered as he quickly as he bent forward for just a moment before he stretched his back and bent his knees in a more proper manner though not before Runa had been able to get a very brief view of his rear that the very tight pants managed to preserve the shape of very well as she tilted her head forward just a tiny bit to be able to see under the cavalry tunic.
"I.. yes of course!" he muttered as he took the first steps away from the group towards the dancefloor, right past Runa and Hälgha as the elf and the lady exchanged a quick look.
"I do believe that his friherre squire would find it customary for the male to escort his dance partner personally to the floor my dear friherre squire!" Runa pointed out as the young man froze again and turned around redder than ever before.
"Uhmm... yes of course my ladyship... I am so sorry for my rudeness!" he muttered as he extended his arm which Runa grabbed cheerfully as he walked towards the floor with her firmly holding his arm while the elf servant and human lady exchanged another pair of happy looks as the servant took the first steps after her mistress.

"I do believe that I feel a bit sorry for my poor lancer..." Aula pointed out with a smirk on her lips as they could hear how Runa started to talk rather cheerfully in the good old tongue as the lancer muttered a few lines here and there in response before the pair stepped out on the dance floor.
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Izzyshipper

Mara looked at Olivia, then back at Victoria. Then at Isabella. "What the hell was that?" she said. "I mean she's what--had some passionate kissing, barely let the man touch her ass, and suddenly she knows all about it."

"We'll see what she knows in the morning. I bet she either comes out running from the bedroom before we even get back to the ballroom screaming 'ew ew ewwwww gross!' or else she'll be heard screaming for more in Sterry. That's what happens--the prudes turn out to be back clawers and leg lockers, panting for it." said Olivia merrily.

General Hesperinus meanwhile led Princess Marissa gracefully out onto the dance floor, the waltz with an easy beat to follow and him having danced since he was 8 (though he hated it then, having to dance with aunts and mothers and so on) He said, "Your Highness, I am impressed that you returned to New Edom. The previous trips clearly didn't scare you off--you are a woman of iron. And I am honoured to make your acquaintance in this manner."

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:47 am

Talmar replied to the Queen with some of the warmth that thoughts of his home evoked. It was a little strange to hear and see how the female royalty of the Imeriatans behaved, in the Empire no Queen would have ever lowered herself to the point of apologizing to a man, and would especially never have admitted ignorance so openly. But however strange the customs of foreigners were, Talmar was nothing if not polite and friendly. It was simply a part of his nature.

"Of course Queen Helena, it would be an honor," he said with the smallest of smiles as Runa dragged the "lancer" onto the dance floor. They behaved much as children, though hardly in a manner befitting royalty. Another difference, he supposed. "Our home islands are are indeed located in a much warmer climate. Our seasons alternate between wet and dry, but even during the longest rains it is warmer than it is here in New Edom today. In Imperial City, where I was born, it often becomes so hot that clothing becomes more a hindrance than a help."

He said his final sentence with a straight face, thinking of how his audience had just equated nudity with barbarism. He was not offended by the suggestion, Shrailleeni ways were after all not the ways of foreigners, but he did want to let them know that the Empire held clothing, or the lack of it, as a non-concern.

"There is some snow in the high mountains of course, but most of our subjects live in the tropical lowlands. And on the isle of Fromathra, where my wife Queen Atchell rules, the heat is even greater."
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Imperial Yamea
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Yamea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:51 am

Tomas laughed lightly at Edwards' remark, "Too true, we can't let them have all the fun." Kathlynn laughed as well. "I am very fond of dancing indeed, normally we twirl and whirl out there until the last guest has left but not tonight, Tomas wants me to take it easy tonight, maintain my health. What types of dances do you like?"

Kathlynn smiled slightly as she thought of a traditional Imperial Yamean Ball, the costumes, the dancing, the food, it was quite a spectical to observe. She wondered if there was anything of the sort among the Quendi.
Member of The Commonwealth of Crowns

United NW Canada
Osberg-Thitania
Member of the Commonwealth of Crowns

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents