NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Red Talons
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 12, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Red Talons » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Shameless tag... >.>

Also, I chalk my vote to tanks and mecha for a balanced ground force.
This is my factbook(perpetually under construction)
Because I advocate more space-magic, Laws For Magic.
A 4.2 civilization, according to this index.
---
Defense Status
{Green}--{Orange}--|{Blue}|--{Red}--{Black}
---
Universal peace is an archaic concept.
It is like taking a handful of sand,
and expecting none of it to slip through your fingers...

=Isahil Traekith=
---
Fear is a basic emotion...
What frightens you more, the evil that you know?...
...Or the evil that you don't...
When you light a candle,
you also cast a shadow...
=[Data Redacted]=

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Red Talons wrote:Shameless tag... >.>

The Utopia has also introduced a medium sized mech, but we usually use tanks, but it can't hurt to experiment with different things, i think balance is good like you said.
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:26 pm

How can you crush the skulls of your foes beneath your armored jackboots if you don't have mechs or powered armor? Armored jackboots are really quite heavy and effectively crushing skulls for long periods with them would be very tiring even for trained soldiers. By this logic, I conclude that legged vehicles are a necessity in any modern army.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Vernii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2008
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Vernii » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:20 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:How can you crush the skulls of your foes beneath your armored jackboots if you don't have mechs or powered armor? Armored jackboots are really quite heavy and effectively crushing skulls for long periods with them would be very tiring even for trained soldiers. By this logic, I conclude that legged vehicles are a necessity in any modern army.

I suppose the logical conclusion would be some sort of caterpillar system composed of armored jackboots. [Farnsworth] A 10 meter tall atomic powered construct for crushing the skulls of those who dare oppose me![/Farnsworth]

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:26 am

Vernii wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:How can you crush the skulls of your foes beneath your armored jackboots if you don't have mechs or powered armor? Armored jackboots are really quite heavy and effectively crushing skulls for long periods with them would be very tiring even for trained soldiers. By this logic, I conclude that legged vehicles are a necessity in any modern army.

I suppose the logical conclusion would be some sort of caterpillar system composed of armored jackboots. [Farnsworth] A 10 meter tall atomic powered construct for crushing the skulls of those who dare oppose me![/Farnsworth]

Yes, but the ground pressure from such an arrangement would mean that the vehicle would only be capable of crushing skulls on a paved road.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:26 am

I guess I should make a post for posterity.

Also - damn, I thought we were beyond the gaze of the mods.

Edit: And are we really having the mech debate again?
Last edited by Feazanthia on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:07 am

Shameless tag for posterity.

And I'm also of the opinion that mechs are a viable weapons-system: I just don't make mine bipedal, or quadrepedal, or even sextapedal for that matter. Moar legs = moar stability.

Plus it makes it harder for the squishies to track all of them in their limited cerebral cortexes and thus avoid being stomped.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Hover AT units, drones and tanks all work nicely together, I don't see the point in huge legged mecha anymore... My forces are becoming less and less biological dependent and more drone dependent for most ground operations... Ofc to keep story I do still use Power armored troops with all sorts of gear.. That and its easier to peace keep with a friendly face rather than a faceless drone.. (keeps people calmer)

Legged mechs are good if they're bellow a certain size.. Eight legged spider drones FTW.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Solarin League
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Solarin League » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:11 pm

I've been considering starting to deploy some lolmechs of some sort. If I ever did it though, I' d have to make them Titan hueg, just because.

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Good riddance to the old thread.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:56 pm

The Fedral Union wrote:

Hover AT units, drones and tanks all work nicely together, I don't see the point in huge legged mecha anymore... My forces are becoming less and less biological dependent and more drone dependent for most ground operations... Ofc to keep story I do still use Power armored troops with all sorts of gear.. That and its easier to peace keep with a friendly face rather than a faceless drone.. (keeps people calmer)

Legged mechs are good if they're bellow a certain size.. Eight legged spider drones FTW.

The point of huge legged mecha is to be awesome:

I rest my case.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:57 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
The Fedral Union wrote:

I rest my case.

What are those green turrets ontop the tripod?
Right behind you...: UDL

Inutoland
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inutoland » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Bajireyn wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:The point of huge legged mecha is to be awesome:

I rest my case.

What are those green turrets ontop the tripod?

Giant TV screens playing Lady Gaga music videos. The Ultimate Weapon.
Note: Our NS page is not entirely accurate. Please use the Factbook.
Embassy Program (MT) | MT Factbook | Culture Test (MT) | FT Factbook
Economic Left/Right: -3.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.95

If you want to abbreviate my nation's name, I prefer "Inu"

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Bajireyn wrote:What are those green turrets ontop the tripod?

Microwave projectors. To turn our enemies crispy.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Inutoland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Inutoland » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:07 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Moar legs = moar stability.

The Type III Legged Tactical Vehicle, commonly known as "Kugelmecha", is an orbital-droppable mech unit whose configuration is based on the Earth arthropod known as a "pillbug". The spheroidal configuration is used for deorbital planetary insertion, as the outer layers of the Kugelmecha's armour are designed to resist both the heat of re-entry and some of the thermal effects of energy weapons. The mecha unrolls upon landing for combat.

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15 pm

I must say, on the topic of legs versus treads versus everything else:

Treads are pretty cool. Hovering is pretty cool. Legs are pretty cool too. But look at the octopus. Those suckers are badass.

Why don't we argue about the validity of tentacle propulsion vehicles?
The Basics of New Amerik
Factbook | Portfolio | Resurrection Offered (Storefront) | Embassy
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 3 = Defensive Actions
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

Inutoland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Inutoland » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:50 am

On land, tentacles = flexible legs

An aquatic octopus-mecha would be pretty badass, though.

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:52 am

Inutoland wrote:On land, tentacles = flexible legs

I remember seeing an exhibit at a museum once which compared the energy efficiency of ship propellers compared to fish tails as a method of aquatic propulsion. It was a fishtank containing two model submarines, each about a foot long, with one using a conventional propeller and the other having a sort of fish-tail set up. Surprisingly, at least for me, the fish tail was more energy efficients, although I suspect the engine took up more space and probably required more regular course correction.

Anyway, if tails beat propellers, I'd be interested to see how squid or octopus tentacles might compare...
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

The 44th Indp Legion
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The 44th Indp Legion » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:26 am

Chalk mine down as well.
OOC, this nation is an autonomous exclave, but will ICly (rather firmly) assert that they are representing the whole of the 44th on diplomatic occasions. Please take their IC aspirations of grandeur and power with several grams of salt.
Post makes no damn sense.
You make a hurtful haiku.
Refrigerator.

Arteria Zoness
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arteria Zoness » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:31 am

Anyway, if tails beat propellers, I'd be interested to see how squid or octopus tentacles might compare...

Yes.

It's been a long time since I've had a reason to log on. And this is a good one, eh?

As noted, tentacles are ridiculously flexible (Was that a pun? I hope it wasn't.) As propulsion, they can achieve pretty ridiculous speeds, as only a few actually need to be in contact with the ground at any given time while the rest could be in various stages of motion E.I supporting weight, just finishing pushing forward, shifting into ready position, ready to shift weight and push,... They're also quite strong when built properly, and combined with their small size (relatively) as compared to regular legs make them damn near impossible to hit with any remote measure of accuracy. Toss in the ability to cover literally any terrain without hindrance and you've got pretty much the world as your highway. Then there are plenty of other obvious and even many more unconventional uses for them too, making them infinitely more adaptive than anything else that could be deployed.

Their only problems are engineering and mobility. Tentacles are ridiculously mobile,... too mobile. Lot's n' lot's n' lot's of joints (If any! The whole thing could be one big joint!) all with universal flexibility would be a nightmare to design, let alone actually build and maintain on a battle field where parts and indeed entire tendrils would wear out and break down with horrendous ease and frequency. Then you have to actually control the damn things. Where the tendril should flex, how much, at what exact angle? Does it need to twist at any point on it's length? How much force needs to be brought to bear? Tentacles could not realistically be controlled by pilots period. There's just far too much work for even maneuvering one, let alone six, eight, even twelve. Any machine utilizing tentacles will be delegated to neural interface weapons, automated drones, etc.

Tentacles underwater however face a unique set of problems and solutions as well. Or, well,... one problem and a billion different solutions. When it comes to propulsion, octopi and squids use a sort of jet burst, kinda like jelly fish (Speaking of which, they are both delicious and bad ass as bio weapons.) which sadly would produce absolute metric shit tons of noise that could be picked up with relative ease. But it doesn't make a single damn difference.
If you have a world like mine, you've got a lot of water. And evolution says sea life will be freaking crazy! Schools with countless members, horrors unimaginable, leviathans forming pods like whales,.... you've got it all. Point is, the ocean will already be noisy as hell, so there is no point in hiding. And since this is FT, things like screw noise are the least of your problems. So use something else that's much more efficient, unless you just absolutely need a ridiculous burst of speed. Which you probably will,...

Fortunately, your (squid/jelly fish/shark/nautilus(please don't?)/lobster/whale) inspired submarine will probably blend in a little better with the natural wild life. Then there's also the fact that- OMFG COMBAT TENTACLES! Yes,... YES!!! Combat has been revolutionized! Fuck your torpedoes! Dodge and grab those little pricks and throw them back! Choke an enemy submarine to death! Break that vertebra'ed sucka in half! Poke hulls in the underside of enemy shipping! SAVE MORE AMMO! Wave your arms in the air like you just don't care! Pirate all the goods off of all the ships! Play rock paper scissors to determine who wins naval engagements! Fight Lovecraftian horrors! Pull yourself around without burning fuel and making absolutely no noise what so ever! GO FISHING! YYEEEESSS!!!!

So anyway what, what I was saying- huh, what? What happened? What was that? Errr, what ever. Now where was I?
So yeah, tentacles are freaking awesome and can do anything despite a handful of glaring logistical problems.

Seriously, just imagine a submarine cruising by a reef, when out of fucking nowhere another sub hauls itself out of a dark cave, grabs the first sub and destroys it's engines and conning tower, then putting holes in it's ballasts before just leaving it there to down and sailing off to go do that to another ship just as easily!

Or what if two of these things went head to head! It'd be epic!
Cute little space dolphins with starships and ray guns. C'mon. That just too cute for it's own good.
MT and PT suck. :P

Valinon
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Postby Valinon » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
The Fedral Union wrote:

I rest my case.

My God! The Russians have built a Mobile Oppression Palace!
"We do not care where you go, but you cannot stay here."
The Honorable Herr William H. Keith to all 'colonization/relocation/refugee' convoys/missions en route to Alpha Centauri
Her Imperial Majesty's Foreign Ministry, Special Office for Border Control & Forcible Deportation

Fact Book Project | The Lanthe Route & Lee | State of the Galaxy | Interstellar Trade Cooperative

Pantheon of Useful NSFT Links
FT Advice & Assistance Thread | Helpful FT Links| The Local Cluster | NS Future Tech (NSFT) Discord Server

Demigueris
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Demigueris » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Valinon wrote:My God! The Russians have built a Mobile Oppression Palace!

Russia takes their oppression very seriously - really elevating more to an artform.

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Arteria Zoness wrote:Snip

Noooo tentacle hentai
Last edited by Strykla on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Red Talons
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 12, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Red Talons » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Arteria Zoness wrote:

Yes.

It's been a long time since I've had a reason to log on. And this is a good one, eh?

As noted, tentacles are ridiculously flexible (Was that a pun? I hope it wasn't.) As propulsion, they can achieve pretty ridiculous speeds, as only a few actually need to be in contact with the ground at any given time while the rest could be in various stages of motion E.I supporting weight, just finishing pushing forward, shifting into ready position, ready to shift weight and push,... They're also quite strong when built properly, and combined with their small size (relatively) as compared to regular legs make them damn near impossible to hit with any remote measure of accuracy. Toss in the ability to cover literally any terrain without hindrance and you've got pretty much the world as your highway. Then there are plenty of other obvious and even many more unconventional uses for them too, making them infinitely more adaptive than anything else that could be deployed.

Their only problems are engineering and mobility. Tentacles are ridiculously mobile,... too mobile. Lot's n' lot's n' lot's of joints (If any! The whole thing could be one big joint!) all with universal flexibility would be a nightmare to design, let alone actually build and maintain on a battle field where parts and indeed entire tendrils would wear out and break down with horrendous ease and frequency. Then you have to actually control the damn things. Where the tendril should flex, how much, at what exact angle? Does it need to twist at any point on it's length? How much force needs to be brought to bear? Tentacles could not realistically be controlled by pilots period. There's just far too much work for even maneuvering one, let alone six, eight, even twelve. Any machine utilizing tentacles will be delegated to neural interface weapons, automated drones, etc.

Tentacles underwater however face a unique set of problems and solutions as well. Or, well,... one problem and a billion different solutions. When it comes to propulsion, octopi and squids use a sort of jet burst, kinda like jelly fish (Speaking of which, they are both delicious and bad ass as bio weapons.) which sadly would produce absolute metric shit tons of noise that could be picked up with relative ease. But it doesn't make a single damn difference.
If you have a world like mine, you've got a lot of water. And evolution says sea life will be freaking crazy! Schools with countless members, horrors unimaginable, leviathans forming pods like whales,.... you've got it all. Point is, the ocean will already be noisy as hell, so there is no point in hiding. And since this is FT, things like screw noise are the least of your problems. So use something else that's much more efficient, unless you just absolutely need a ridiculous burst of speed. Which you probably will,...

Fortunately, your (squid/jelly fish/shark/nautilus(please don't?)/lobster/whale) inspired submarine will probably blend in a little better with the natural wild life. Then there's also the fact that- OMFG COMBAT TENTACLES! Yes,... YES!!! Combat has been revolutionized! Fuck your torpedoes! Dodge and grab those little pricks and throw them back! Choke an enemy submarine to death! Break that vertebra'ed sucka in half! Poke hulls in the underside of enemy shipping! SAVE MORE AMMO! Wave your arms in the air like you just don't care! Pirate all the goods off of all the ships! Play rock paper scissors to determine who wins naval engagements! Fight Lovecraftian horrors! Pull yourself around without burning fuel and making absolutely no noise what so ever! GO FISHING! YYEEEESSS!!!!

So anyway what, what I was saying- huh, what? What happened? What was that? Errr, what ever. Now where was I?
So yeah, tentacles are freaking awesome and can do anything despite a handful of glaring logistical problems.

Seriously, just imagine a submarine cruising by a reef, when out of fucking nowhere another sub hauls itself out of a dark cave, grabs the first sub and destroys it's engines and conning tower, then putting holes in it's ballasts before just leaving it there to down and sailing off to go do that to another ship just as easily!

Or what if two of these things went head to head! It'd be epic!
I intend to add tentacles to my PMT subs now... You are a wonderful person.
This is my factbook(perpetually under construction)
Because I advocate more space-magic, Laws For Magic.
A 4.2 civilization, according to this index.
---
Defense Status
{Green}--{Orange}--|{Blue}|--{Red}--{Black}
---
Universal peace is an archaic concept.
It is like taking a handful of sand,
and expecting none of it to slip through your fingers...

=Isahil Traekith=
---
Fear is a basic emotion...
What frightens you more, the evil that you know?...
...Or the evil that you don't...
When you light a candle,
you also cast a shadow...
=[Data Redacted]=

Fort Dyson
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fort Dyson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:25 pm

I see Zeke has already begun attempting to spread his love of weaponized tendrils.
Anyway, one thing he forgot to mention was their uses on star ships. Moron.

Anyway, yeah, they're good and all, but pretty damn useless as weapons in space (light second/minute ranges and all) But they are also quite versatile as basically USB machines. Instead of having different pieces of equipment for say, scooping fuel, retrieving loose floating debris/items, gangways during docking,... the list goes on. If you're willing to invest in megaton yield infantry weaponry or mecha as so many people are, it might be a good idea to put a little R&D into cramming all of those aforementioned systems into one highly flexible and extremely versatile device. Just be sure to give it a spacious housing with a good deal of armor over it. The space and money it saved would be well worth it for the high(ish) installation cost. Besides, can't have such an awesome piece of equipment getting blown up, now can we?

Strykla wrote:Noooo tentacle hentai

Didja' have to go there? Don't encourage him man!
Besides, how are you going to fit an anti-ship weapo- Actually,... I'm going to stop right here. With a warning and a ban: This is not Japan. Japan or Japanese nations are hereby banned from using this tech.
:p
Last edited by Fort Dyson on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I RP a nation of giant mechanoid sea horse like ships IN SPACE.
We are also trying to build a Dyson Structure, but haven't gotten past the initial stages of construction. (Do pay attention to that part would you?)
If'n you happen to have a problem with that, -or anything of mine for that matter- I happily invite you to buzz off. Else wise, please refrain from attempting to RP with me if you'd just give me pointless grief, or spout lengthy arguments as to why I should not have or do anything ICly I have decided upon. If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask,... unless you were just being creative. In that case, talk! I love suggestions! <3
If'n you didn't notice yet, I also loooooove space opera

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents