NATION

PASSWORD

CORNELLIAN EMPIRE NEWS (closed, Region Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Fri May 22, 2015 2:27 pm

headlines | vyrsar | region | sports | tech | lifestyle | business | travel | environment

Restricting Immigration

Senate may suspend Right of Heritage for Shalumite Germans

Among recent proposals in the Legislature against Jedoria and Shalum, a proposal to suspend the Right of Heritage for Shalumite Germans is currently under consideration by the Senate to be put to vote. If passed, the new legislation would suspend the Right and prevent Shalumite Germans from emigrating to Vyrsar and taking up citizenship through an advanced, sped up course. The Right has been a key principle of Vyrsarian-Shalumite relations since it was established in the early 20th Century.

If the law were to be passed, it would be an incredibly telling move by the Senate as to their opinion of the Shalumite actions in the conflict in Peregrino. While the Chancellor has the power to veto it, she had yet to comment on the proposed law.

The proposal is one of many that have been put on the Senate's docket since the Chancellor's speech last night, where she denounced the actions of Novitera, Jedoria, and Shalum and called for peaceful negotiations, going so far as to offer Vyrsar as a host for the negotiations and to act as a mediator between the belligerents.
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."
-ESL
-This Nation does not represent my IRL views

Under New Management Since July 2014

Julianica
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Julianica » Fri May 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Julianica condemns, sanctions Jedoria, Novitera and Shalum
Julianica stands with Spartianus against wanton aggression

The government of Julianica issued a public statement announcing an official condemnation of the governments of Jedoria, Novitera and Shalum for their unprovoked attack on the New Edomite Dependency of Peregrino, an incident that sparked international outrage and controversy.

Prior to this announcement, anti-war protestors took to the streets of several cities, launching demonstrations outside of embassies and government buildings as well as burning flags of the three nations plus those of Azurlavai, which announced that it will side with Shalum. Protestors, many of whom were university students and young professionals, also voiced their support for Spartianus, which has come under threat of Shalumite aggression.

“The people of Julianica will not tolerate blatant and wanton aggression from any nation, friendly or not,” Prime Minister Fabiola Gunnhild told the press. “Julianica is a peaceful nation, and we are horrified by the conduct displayed by fellow Belisarian nations. We also announce our support for the nation of Spartianus, as we find the threats emanating from Aragon to be totally unacceptable. Julianica applauds the Melek of Spartinaus for refusing to be intimidated, and for standing up for what’s right. Julianica, like Spartianus, stands opposed to any and all militaristic rogue states, and we will deal with them as such for the foreseeable future, by any means possible as a nation that values peace.”

In addition to sanctions, the Gunnhild administration has imposed an “immediate and unconditional cessation of all trade, embargoes on goods, freezing of all financial and physical assets, and suspension of all visas”. In addition, Julianica is leading a call among BL member nations to vote on suspending Jedoria and Shalum from the league.

On another note, Gunnhild’s government has not ruled out coming to the defense of Spartinaus should it be attacked, to which Gunnhild said, “that is a bridge we will cross when we get to it. But we will not tolerate an unprovoked attack on any BL nation, Spartianus among them. We do not suffer bullies, be they people or nations, and the right thing to do is to stand up to them.”

In response to Gunnhild’s position, her popularity is on the rise, peaking at 60% approval. Leader of the opposition Decimus Vinje, said that, “opposing these nations is tantamount to committing political and economic suicide for Julianica that will further isolate our nation for years to come, not to mention put us at risk of war from nations that are not too far away.”

More details related to this situation will be released as they become available, but in the meantime, Julianica has drawn the line and taken a stand, for better or for worse. It remains to be seen how other nations will respond to tiny Julianica, but we can all hope that at the very least, they will agree that peace is the best policy to be pursued.
Last edited by Julianica on Fri May 22, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sat May 23, 2015 5:58 am

Duchess Impeached and Arrested; Council Calls for Emergency Elections

The Tharkad Times

THE DUKE'S HEARTH - Earlier today, the High Council, with a vote of 178 approvals, confirmed the impeachment of Duchess Luminita Vianu. The Duchess's support in the Council evaporated in face of pressure from the combined fronts of the United Peace Part and Another Jedoria, with many of the Moderate's own ranks abandoning their Duchess. Sited as cases of treason and crimes against the Confederation, the Duchess's decision to launch an attack on the New Edomite Dependency of Peregrino has now seen Luminita Vianu removed from power.

Following the Duchess's failure to appear before the High Council, a warrant for the Confederation's leader was issued, and carried out by Field Marshall Pyotr Olsogovic of the Department of Internal Security. The Duchess officially went into custody as of 17:03 today. This marks the second time a Duke/Duchess has been voted for impeachment, following the impeachment of Duke Damian Dragan in 2012 for his conspiracy to commit tax evasion and fraud.

Following her incarceration at the Strana Mechty Capital Detention Center, the High Council has announced intentions to begin immediate preparations for emergency elections to determine the next leader of the Jedorian Confederation.

There is only speculation as to what this means for the newly declared war with New Edom and now the Shraileeni Empire, however it can be firmly estimated that any new Duke of the Confederation would almost certainly seek peace. As to what this will entail in the coming days and weeks is anybody's guess."
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Thu May 28, 2015 8:28 pm

FASDA -20.40 D&D 500 -8.36 CI -0.95 Pioneer 2000 +12.98 Crude -+1.20 Gold +1.63

Gale Wiyrkomi Departure Shocks Market and Devastates Employees

Wiyrkomi Software Engineer Mark Hampton (34) watches the announcement live
Employees and investors alike were devastated yesterday morning when it was announced by Gale Wiyrkomi himself at a press conference that he would be stepping down to retire. The sudden change of pace for Wiyrkomi came as a shock for the nation. Mr. Wiyrkomi's decision was completely unanticipated. He is set to leave Wiyrkomi tomorrow, spending his last day today saying goodbyes to what he refers to "the men, women and company I devoted my life to." It was announced that Chief Operations Officer Caroline Palmer would be replacing Mr. Wiyrkomi as Chief Executive Officer. As expected, Wiyrkomi share prices took a dive immediately after the announcement losing twenty-five points by day's end with prices continuing to fall today.

Although analysts are hopeful about the change in leadership citing Ms. Palmer's management of the successful introduction of Wiyrkomi products to the market since 2007. Examples include the Axis X smartphone which ranks third in sales after the number one Lai Dai Sleek-5 and second place Oscillo's Hub-5 in Novitera. Gale Wiyrkomi himself has praised Ms. Palmer's excellent performance in coordinating the operations of Wiyrkomi's many different divisions from their gaming console MegaMachine to Wiyrkomi's bread and butter, operating systems software. Others such as Wallstryn mutual fund manager Dean Maxwell have been stating "There is no Wiyrkomi without Gale Wiyrkomi. I've been unloading some of our holdings in Wiyrkomi stock. The future of the company is just too hazy at this time and I run safe investments."

Gale Wiyrkomi began Wiyrkomi Corporation when he was 25 selling his first operating system, Focus. The primitive software, revolutionary for its time, only allowed users to issue written commands to open programs which required a bit of tech savvy. As Wiyrkomi operating systems developed, the company along with others such as Lai Dai led the charge in the digital revolution bringing easy to use personal computers and smartphones to individuals across the region. Now such devices are as simple for a child to operate. It goes without saying that the wealthiest Noviteran with a net worth in the double digit billions is regarded as the nations most successful entrepreneur, greatest businessman and a champion of the digital age. A virtual national hero for our country that praises the most superb of business leaders who uplift our civilization through their innovations. In that category, Gale Wiyrkomi is second to none which is why many say this retirement is well deserved. Upon interviewing Wiyrkomi employees many said sadly they were happy for Mr. Wiyrkomi, wishing him the best in whatever his next journey is.

"I met Mr. Wiyrkomi at a conference in San Crispiano. He greeted everyone on our team and personally asked me how my work was going on the Focus 9 interface. That was four years ago. He visited me the next week at my office to see how I was doing and looking into my work personally. I'm frightened about what this means for the company but he deserves to retire." Says a teary eyed Betty Koda, a programmer currently working on the Focus Nova set to release next year.

"He was the man I tell you. Whenever Mr. Wiyrkomi came to visit he made it feel like you couldn't fail. Anything was possible and damn the person who said otherwise to his face. Novitera is not going to get another one like him I tell you." Remarks electrical engineer Benjamin Collins who worked on the development of the MegaMachine. He walked away shaking his head in disappointment at the news.

At his press announcement, a tearful Mr. Wiyrkomi had this to say, "I love this company. From our investors who never lost faith during our troubles in the 90s. To my employees who fight tooth and nail to develop and bring excellent products to the market. In my time here I've always encouraged this attitude to ask what is the next step. What is the next step to make things better and easier for Novitera and the world. I asked myself that question of late and decided to begin a new journey. It breaks my heart to say that effective in two days, I will be stepping down as CEO of Wiyrkomi Corporation to accomplish those things I have not done with the time I have left. In my years here I have met enough hardworking and brilliant people who honored me by working for this company. First among them is Caroline Palmer, my replacement. From my perspective, my departure is not step back. Just a change of the face in front of thousands of determined minds. I simply made the spark that brought all these wonderful people together. There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that Wiyrkomi and the digital world is in good hands. When I started this adventure in the early 1980s I had a vision in mind what it would become. What it would do for the world. It has surpassed every expectation...even my fantasies of what it could be. We...we moved mountains and ripped the moon out of the sky to give to the world. My work here is complete and I have faith that the thousands who have followed me will march on to bring the greatest company in the world to even greater heights."
Last edited by Novitera on Thu May 28, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sat May 30, 2015 7:23 pm

Gimme News

May 30th, 2015

The Dusk Twins of Dakmoor Born!
Maria of Garza, Crown Princess of Dakmoor, gives birth
Crown Princess gives birth to twin girls

(Dakar, Dakmoor, Ghant)- At approximately 9 PM GST, Maria of Garza, Crown Princess of Garza, gave birth to identical twin girls in Dakar, Dakmoor.

Dakauregia Palace announced that High Princess Isabella and Princess Valencia were safely delivered at the Dakar General Hospital. Maria’s husband, Crown Prince Martin of Dakmoor, was present for the birth of the couple’s first children. The babies weigh 5.5 pounds, according to the palace, which also says that mother and daughters are doing well. The twins, which are Monochorionic diamniotic, were indistinguishable from each other, leading to Isabella having a big toe nail painted black, while Valencia having one painted purple.

Isabella and Valencia are second and third in line to the throne of Dakmoor, held by their grandfather, King Malibar. They are behind only their father, Crown Prince Martin. Isabella is Heiress Presumptive, and will only inherit the throne if her parents do not eventually have a son. Their uncle Michael, King Consort of New Edom, is pushed to fourth in line, while their aunt Sophia, Empress of Ghant, is pushed to fifth. They are also the first cousins of the Imperial babies born in November, their uncle being Emperor Nathan IV of Ghant.

Due to their birth late in the evening during the sunset, in which the skies of Dakmoor turn purple as the sun goes down, people have taken that as a good omen. Not even an hour old, they already have a nickname. “The Dusk Twins of Dakmoor.” With a name like the Dusk Twins, one can only think that they will make a mark in history. Only time will tell.

Other News
  • Thule prepares for 30 days of sunlight
  • Big Trouble in little Segland
  • Royal Profile: Lucie Johannes

Last edited by Ghant on Sat May 30, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

United Valik
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Opposition groups call for withdrawal of CPO forces.

Postby United Valik » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Glauconeum Herald,
Anastas Corinthos

The "mainland civil war is largely over, and regrettably, our peacekeeping forces were not able to stem the tide. Some of this was due to the nature and composition of the peacekeeping forces, but far more had to do with the violations of the cease-fire and resumption of hostilities. Both sides committed serious infractions during the conflict, and thus both are to blame for the renewed conflict. As it is the position of the Federal Government that neither the Allied States of New Edom, nor the Theocratic Republic of New Edom, acted in good faith, but both brazenly transgressed the terms of an internationally enforced, legally binding truce, the Federal Government at this time has no sane alternative but to withdraw all peacekeeping contingents from New Edom. We evidently cannot trust the belligerents to keep their word in anything, and judging by recent reports about the Hutanijan contingent, cannot trust the foreign military forces as well. Accordingly, all Federal Army and Militia units must be withdrawn from New Edom, now, or we will have to hold this government to account!" Mikis Baukis, Chairman of the Federalist Party, asserted during Question Time, with Communist leader Anton Stavros shouting his approval.

What seems to have largely occurred here is that the demand in Parliament for action to end "our involvement in the bleeding ulcer that is Edom's third civil war in twenty years" has grown in the Senate and Federal Assembly to such an extent that there is a very real risk of the coalition government fracturing and the smaller parties have caused increasing alarm and panic in both houses of Parliament, regarding this as well as the terms of the Treaty of Beaulieu of late that have negatively affected United Valik. There has been considerable outrage over the breakdown of the cease-fire which the peacekeepers were sent to enforce. There is considerable doubt that United Valik will contribute another peacekeeping contingent to a CPO mission again after this for at least a few years, possibly longer, after the failure of this particular mission to keep the peace.

"It is very disappointing. I had hoped to play a larger role in winning the peace for this region, but, alas, the Edomites would rather have war," Prime Minister Dr. Basil Pappas has apparently stated during Prime Minister's Questions Time, "All that can be salvaged is saving the lives of refugees and foreign nationals trapped in the country."

Progressive League Chairman Andrej Balewicz, who was otherwise rather quiet during the exchange, observed that, "Perhaps the time has come to recognize Gloria Regis at least and evacuate anyone who doesn't want to live through a civil war to that island."

"I find that kind of thinking defeatist and unproductive. A country of 100,000,000 people can't be safely evacuated to such a small island, and are you ready to take on so many refugees? No, homes must be found for them in their own country!" Foreign Minister Talia Tsaros countered.

Observers believe that Pappas and Tsaros may have saved the mission for now, but time was of the essence. Another setback like the failure of the cease-fire and all confidence in New Edom would be lost, resulting in a likely withdrawal. That would be very bad news for the Edomite people, if nothing else.
Last edited by United Valik on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It's one big club...and you ain't in it." - George Carlin

Wrongfully banned in 2022 and lived to tell about it.

Aggressive war is wrong, no matter who does it.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:58 pm

New Edomite National News Report

Opening bars of Pictures at an Exhibition play as a globe spins with pins popping up on various points of the world. Split screen images of natural disasters, celebrations, military actions, elections, royal ceremonies, celebrity events are showin, occasionally with New Edomite news anchors talking about them, and then fades to a news desk.

A raven haired woman with olive skin, dark brown eyes with a rosebud mouth, a slim nose and a statuesque figure sat behind a news desk with the New Edomite flag imposed over a silhouette map of the Allied States of New Edom behind her. “Good evening,” she said, looking up with a smile. It was clear that above the waist at least she wore nothing but a gold cross on a chain, though her image was pixelated for those nations censoring such an appearance. “I’m Lavinia Tuller, and we're about to go to our sports desk with Simon Parg reporting on tonight's Army vs. Navy boxing match...hello Simon!"

A square headed middle aged man with a rough skinned face smiles showing a capped incisor. "Hello Lavinia! I'm speaking to you after tonight's fight at the Hippocampus Arena in Sterry where the Army vs. Navy final match of the season took place between Sergeant Joseph “The Hammer” Thomas of the 6th Regiment of Engineers and Chief Gunner’s Mate Zachary Tobias of the Air Defense Squadron, Military District of Fineberg.

"The Hammer started off living up to his nickname with a right left combo that had Tobias on the defensive immediately; the engineer was definitely drilling hard. However pretty quickly Tobias began some good ducking and weaving that kept him out of harm's way. Then the Hammer began to get a sense of the rhythm of the footwork and landed a few more blows.

"There was an increase of trading blows; Tobias may have been hit many times but a series of rights gave him a little break, then the Hammer's powerful combos drove him back to the corner. With the end of the round there was some evidence of bad blood--the service rivalry creating some hot tempers. I'll tell you Lavinia, everyone was glad of the MPs in the crowd. In spite of Tobias' broken nose, he appeared game for the next one.

"Wasn't there some mockery of the Navy after the mutinies that took place at Harbourtown and in Gloria Regis by Army troops?" Lavinia asked.

"That's right Lavinia, there has been as I said some bad blood beyond mere service rivalry. For a lot of Naval officers and other ranks there was a lot of support...and I think a lot of pressure on Tobias to win. But Thomas was in amazing shape, looking like a panther as he walked in there, a full swagger of confidence, and a camera glance shows the mean look in his eye, this combat engineer showing that he has the coolness and toughness to do what it takes even when he knows he's risking it all.

"it started out strong, the next round, with a combo set from the Hammer, but Tobias's lunging attacks with his full strength started to wear down the Army champion. It became more like gladiators as you see in this clip, two two hundred plus men going at it like warriors of old. Tobias concentrated a lot on a combo of body blow to head, body blow, body blow, body blow, slamming and then to the head, where Thomas clearly wanted to go for the maximum punch, right right left, left left right to the head.

"Neither of these men were quitters, Lavinia, no matter how hard the blows came, they kept coming back for more. You do not want to get into the ring with men like this. Into round ten, finally Tobias goes down, but manages to make it to the end of the round.

"And I was thinking that it was no doubt that the managing team were telling Thomas to avoid the knocout and focus on wearing down Tobias. Thomas bigger arms, better wind--he could do that. Towards the end of the match, we had exhausted men like sleepwalkers exchanging blows slower and slower, trading blows with every ounce of strength they had left. But still The Hammer on top...then sudden burst of speed, a right hook from Tobias and Thomas...went down. You would not believe the shouts and screams from the crowd.

"The triumph of the Navy could be felt throughout the crowd. The Service representative at the Nationals will be Chief Gunner's Mate Zachary Tobias! The Navy can hold its head up. What a match...what a match!"

"Thank you Simon, and it sounds very exciting, wish I could have been there! And we'll back after these messages, including a message from everyone's favourite, Ikram's Quality Cigarettes. Remember, Ikram's tastes great, so light up, don't wait!"
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:17 am

Jedorian Army put on alert as fighting continues in New Edom

Luxor - Two battalions of the 302nd Brigade, 15th Mountain Infantry Division were put on alert status earlier today in response to the continued bloodshed occurring south of Jedoria in New Edom. After losing the city of Harbourtown to Monarchist forces earlier this month, forces loyal to the Theocratic Republic have reportedly fallen back to the ETC controlled areas of Lookinghaven and Teman, both of which are not far from the Jedorian border.

Colonel Artur Dobre, commanding officer of the 302nd Brigade, confirmed that 3rd and 4th Battalions of his echelon had been put on Condition 4 Status in response to concerns over border security between the Confederation and the Allied States. "These actions are purely defensive in nature." The Colonel assured reporters, whom he briefed in a press conference early this morning. "New Edom's internal affairs are it's own, but we must be caution and ready to handle any kind of spillover that might occur."

The fighting in New Edom erupted several weeks ago following the declaration of the establishment of the Theocratic Republic of New Edom, led by the End Times Church Prophet Samuel Under, whom appointed Sarah Carmel as acting President. However, apart from recognition by the Caliphate of New Othman, there so far has been little done in support of the Republic by other Cornellian states. Meanwhile, the Monarchists of New Edom, with support from the Imperium of Arbites, Republic of Hutanjia, The Kingdom of Cacerta, along with Roman and Ghantish forces, began a large scale offensive against the Republic in violation of the ceasefire established by the CPO. Following a large naval and aerial battle, the Monarchists successfully broke the Republic's grip on Harbourtown, and now it is believed another offensive is in order against the Theocratic holdings in northern New Edom.

The Confederation has committed to the peacekeeping operations in New Edom, and Duke Victor Răceanu earlier this week condemned the reports of war crimes being committed by Monarchist allies in the Bara province. As of right now, much of Jedoria's armed forces stationed in the south have been put on a heightened state of alert, with this most recent elevation the highest it has been.

Although the specifics were not given, both battalions are expected to be conducting expanded patrols in the mountain ranges and valleys that separate Jedoria and New Edom.
Last edited by Jedoria on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

Spartianus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Spartianus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:04 pm

Ashurnasirpal III agrees to protesters' demands; Government reorganized
5 June, 2015

In an exciting conclusion two the past two weeks of protests, Ashurnasirpal III signed a decree today granting unprecedented levels of autonomy to the monarchy's lesser ethnic groups. The sixteen page decree contains quite a few governmental reforms, but we will list the major changes here for you now.

• The Metaphate governor system is to be abolished in its entirety and replaced by a system of appointed governors.
  • Serfdom, as organized by the monarchy, is to be abolished. The Crown will no longer enforce its practice.
  • The lands of Lycaonia, Sobat, and Naynuwan-Tocharia are to be reorganized as full Mamlakets invested in the person of Ashurnasirpal III.
  • The Metaphates of Ashur, Cosrhoene, Shereshe, Til Barsib, Qatna, and Kel-a-shin will be reorganized into ceremonial regions within the Altishahr crown land.
  • The Mamlakets of Lycaonia, Sobat, Naynuwan-Tocharia as well as Altishahr will recieve a Chamber of Deputies made up of the state's landholders to assist in governance and tax collection.
  • Each of these in addition to the non-mamlaket governates of Afanasevo, North Mutsatsir-Barhidum, and South Mutsatsir-Tel Ku'ara, with the exception of Altishahr, will receive a minister appointed by the crown to head the local government.
  • A new title shall be created in superiority to the Mamlakets now formed. Ashurnasirpal III shall be granted the title Sar Sarrani of Shartya'a-Lycaonia.
  • Within this new Sar Sarranum, Shartya'a and Lycaonians shall be granted equal privilege before the law and in monarch's council.
  • The Sar Sarranum will receive its own council in the form of the Parliamentum Magnum, in which all nobility and clergy of the Ashurene Catholic Church within Altishahr and Lycaonia will take part.

Experts suppose that the success of these nationalist protests was due largely to the chaos that has ripped through New Edom as well as the tension between Jedoria and the aforementioned New Edom. Further protests are not expected, though several landholders have come forward to state that they believe the reforms will only lead to further violence.

Stay tuned in for the latest updates.

Last edited by Spartianus on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Duke Applauds Gloria Regis Election

Strana Mechty - Calling it "a victory for democracy the will of the people" Duke Victor Răceanu praised the recently concluded election in Gloria Regis, which resulted in a surprisingly strong feminist victory. Despite pre-election polling finding support for opposition parties high, it was ultimately the Feminists who won through likely drawing moderates and other on-the-fence voters who might've been persuaded in recent weeks to seek independence following Monarchist actions in mainland New Edom.

Jedoria recognized the island nation shortly after the naval mutiny that sparked the revolution, and strongly called for the issue of independence to be solved through electoral means. With the election results in, the Confederation's wishes for Gloria Regis seem to have been fulfilled. Livia Barberina, the Premier of the Feminist Collective, announced the intention to officially declare independence in three days time. The Duke confirmed that the Jedorian Government planned to exchange embassies and diplomatic services with the newly formed State.

"In times like these, when so many parts of the world are torn apart by violence and civil unrest, it's critical that we take time to appreciate the small victories; that while may take place in small corners of the globe, they represent paramount victories in the most essential sense. I am speaking of course victories for the essential human right of freedom, the ability to chose your own leadership and representatives."

The Duke confirmed that the Confederate Government planned to recognize the newly formed state once the official declaration was made.
― Ernst Toller

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Duke and Husband set to adopt child

Jedorian Duke's tend not to have families. Damian Dragan didn't, Ecaterina Rosetti didn't, and neither did Ian Dresari. There's no law against it, it just seems that the Jedorian people prefer to appoint single politicians as their leadership. We couldn't really find out why, but what we do know is that the streak is about to be broken by the current resident of The Duke's Hearth, and his husband.

Duke Victor Răceanu and his spouse, Darius, have announced they have officially begun finalizing plans to adopt a child. Although long rumored, especially during Răceanu's campaign to become Duke, the couple, married since 2008, refused to confirm or deny rumors regarding a potential addition to the Răceanu family. However, early this morning, Răceanu's press correspondent confirmed in a quick morning brief that the couple were planning on adopting a child.

Although details have been scarce, it was confirmed that the couple will be adopting a girl, who's given name is the only detail known, Isabela. Age is unknown, but believed to be between 7-10 years of age. Social media was a buzz when the news broke out, with many wondering how the Duke's Hearth would look with a child now calling it home.

Răceanu became the first Duke to enter office married since Duke Iosif Ursu, although Damian Dragan did become the legally appointed guardian of his nephew, Cristian, following the death of the young man's parents in 2009.

Both Victor and Darius have thanked the public for their support and kind words, and are "eager to become parents and raise a child whom has not had the guidance of a loving family in their life."

In other news, bitches ain't shit.
Last edited by Jedoria on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Ernst Toller

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:08 pm

FASDA -8.56 D&D 500 -4.47 CI -1.45 Pioneer 2000 -6.22 Crude -+1.20 Gold +2.20

NoviMart Accused of War Profiteering

Several complaints of predatory pricing were made to the Secure Trade and Commerce Bureau by NoviMart competitors in response to NoviMart's sustained and unparalleled discounts in the price of rice. Rice is a widely consumed product in Novitera and any chain supermarket that can reduce their retail prices on rice would have a considerable advantage over other stores. STCB investigations revealed that the NoviMart logistics department made a number of futures trades on the Dabrid Mercantile Exchange taking a long position on the price of rice. Essentially, NoviMart placed bets that the market price of rice would rise and in this they were successful. It is not an uncommon practice for companies involved with the purchase or sale of commodities to hedge against fluctuating price changes on those commodities on the DME however NoviMart's trade was peculiar.

Disruption of rice production due to the turmoil in New Edom has raised the price of rice in Novitera which has left many grocery stores struggling. What raises suspicion over the NoviMart trades were that they were made seconds after the announcement that former New Edomite President Perrin Pahath-Moab was killed in an Stadium accident before premiums on long position futures on rise rose. Those futures trades are estimated to have saved NoviMart an estimated $100 million. From a legal standpoint, there is no suspicion from the STCB of insider trading as the trades were made after the death of Pahath-Moab became public information. The STCB has also reviewed NoviMart's cost of revenue specifically and have determined they are not selling under the average variable cost for the product and therefore will not be pursuing a predatory pricing antitrust charge.

"All the evidence shows that everything NoviMart has done is clean according to United Federation Antitrust and Commercial law. While the decision to make those trades, especially at the long price they were betting at borders on gambling, it is not illegal. I also do not wish to set a precedent of punishing companies for bold, risk taking behavior that benefits their customers if successful. Such actions are within the spirit of Noviteran business." Says the Director of the STCB.

NoviMart has been cleared of legal sanctions as they have technically done nothing wrong. However it is clear that the extent of the position they took on their trades have crossed the line from hedging to speculation and opportunism. The bet on the STCB was a gamble for NoviMart despite being legal. If anything, the act could be a violation of their articles of corporation though it is unlikely NoviMart shareholders will be complaining due to the savings. Humanitarian activist groups have criticized the company for using the civil war in New Edom to gain an advantage over their competitors stating that the trades following seconds after the announcement of Pahath-Moab's death are anything but coincidental. The CEO of NoviMart has declined to comment on whether the DME trades on rice futures were made in response to the news betting that turmoil would ensue though has expressed the company's commitment to bringing low prices to their customers which was their only intention in making those trades.It was found that a few of NoviMart's held rice futures have yet to expire which means as long as the civil war in New Edom continues, the company will continue to rake in dividends from their gamble and indirect exploitation of the suffering in New Edom.
Last edited by Novitera on Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:23 pm

New Edomite National News Report

Opening bars of Pictures at an Exhibition play as a globe spins with pins popping up on various points of the world. Split screen images of natural disasters, celebrations, military actions, elections, royal ceremonies, celebrity events are showin, occasionally with New Edomite news anchors talking about them, and then fades to a news desk.

A raven haired woman with olive skin, dark brown eyes with a rosebud mouth, a slim nose and a statuesque figure sat behind a news desk with the New Edomite flag imposed over a silhouette map of the Allied States of New Edom behind her. “Good evening,” she said, looking up with a smile. It was clear that above the waist at least she wore nothing but a gold cross on a chain, though her image was pixelated for those nations censoring such an appearance. “I’m Lavinia Tuller, and this is a report on the elections in Gloria Regis.

With 53% of the Protectorate's Senate firmly in the Feminist Collective Party, the former minority political group has formed a majority in the Senate and will be officially forming the Government in the eyes of the nation.

Excitement and celebration are the watchwords in the capital, Sixington, following this. (images show people celebrating in Bountiful Park in Sixington, parading with banners, waving female symbol-fist flags)

Not all cheeks are rosy and not all mouths are smiling though. Senator Glaber of the Intellectual Party had this to say.

Senator Glaber, gravely, standing at party campaign headquarters, brave smiles of other Lecks around him. "We must accept defeat graciously and recognize that Livia Barberina is officially the Premier of Gloria Regis."

Among the first nations to congratulate the new government and express hopes for independence was Jedoria's Duke, Victor Răceanu. However in the wake of the Duke's open acknowledgement of what Bishop Zecharias, the Chief Justice, has called "an unnatural intimate relationship" in adopting a child with his homosexual partner, and the earlier recognition of independence following the mutiny, there is some controversy.

"Should they be here at all, is my question," said National Wisdom Party leader Dr. Marius Campion. "We have them just across the border, apparently mobilizing because they're worried about what we might do, and now they are pushing the independence of an island community whose defenses are led by mutineers."

The National Wisdom Party leader had apparently commiserated with provincial NWP leader Julianna Lindley on only taking 23% of the seats in the Gloria Regian senate earlier.

Part of the growing controversy is about whether or not the island is going to become a stepping stone towards outflanking New Edom, with a radical political agenda that is against everything our country stands for.

"The key gesture here is the handing over of the mutineers and the ships, which is to take place tomorrow," said Minister of the Interior Count Sharra in a Q&A earlier. "That will be a gesture of good faith that we have had promised to us. This is not a capitulation, it is meant to be an agreement between free peoples for their general good."

The first two regiments from the 9th Infantry Division were withdrawn yesterday along with all military dependents from the island, and along with Roman Marine Legion forces the day before that.

"We have kept our part of the bargain, and will continue to do so," said General Jonathan Unwerth, Chief of the General Military Staff. "Now it's up to them to do theirs."

Rear-Admiral Daniel Esarhaddon, commanding Task Force Anaconda which is to oversee the handover and replacement with New Edomite crews on the three vessels--a carrier and two cruisers--which are to be handed over.

However this has become controversial as well in the eyes of some political leaders. Unnamed sources have said that this has become a supreme test of the Regent's authority, particularly as two vessels remaining with the Gloria Regian squadron are arsenal ships capable of firing many missiles at once.

"The Regent did not agree to this lightly," said General Unwerth, frowning at reporters. "It was decided after careful negotiations. The missiles could in theory pose a danger, yes, but ultimately we have a defensive shield more than capable of meeting that danger and then some. The naval forces which would remain in Gloria Regis are capable of defending the islands. We are withdrawing all fighter craft, all attack helicopters, dismantling the radar station, removing AWACs. it is comparatively a small thing. No more questions!"

A spokesperson for the Office of the Regent stated that Gloria Regis' non-violent registration of voters and subsequent election represented a victory for the new national election system, which the Regent led the creation of during the government of Perrin Pahath-Moab, bringing to fruition the goal of establishing a clear and fair process of elections in the country.

And we'll back after these messages, including a message from the National Petroleum and Energy Corporation--bringing safe energy right home to you.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Deadora
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Deadora » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Deadoran Imperial News Network

Music plays as a shot of Calla-Gold Palace pans across the screen. Suddenly the camera zooms out, encompassing the entire city in a single shot. As the shot continues to retract it switches to a graphic map of Deadora and the continent of Acheron. Bryn Tegna is a golden start spreading rays of light in every direction. The letters DINN materialized across the screen. Everything fades to black.

The picture fades back in. Two women sit in comfortable chairs across a small coffee table. One is a middle-aged woman in a professional suit and her black hair in a tight bun; the other is a young woman perhaps eighteen years old in a silky backless robe. A beam of sunlight falls through an open window on a portrait of Empress Thrall. The older woman speaks first.

"Welcome! This is Sylora Fiera here, and you're watching the Deadoran Imperial News Network. Today we have been lucky enough to host none other than Imperial Princess herself, Bethany D'Xaen!"

The camera cuts to Bethany at an angle that puts the portrait in the background. The resemblance is plain to see: the same jade eyes, the same elegant nose. But Bethany's cheekbones are lower, her face rounder, more open. A silver circlet in the likeness of twining serpents with a blood-red diamond clutched between their jaws rests across her brow. She smiles into the camera, then turns to Fiera who bares her neck respectfully.

"It's a pleasure to be here, Sylora!"

"So Princess, in just two weeks you will be turning eighteen. For thousands of girls across the Empire, that is the day they begin their terms of mandatory military service and the journey to womanhood. Will you be joining them?"

"Absolutely. Military service is an important tradition, not just for the common citizens, but for the nation's highest leaders as well. I couldn't call myself a Deadoran or a D'Xaen if I refused to serve alongside the lowest born of this great nation. The Empire needs every brave woman and man it can get to protect us from the chaos engulfing our neighbors."

She spoke with perfect poise, and a confidence in her own ability. There is a note of yearning in her voice, as if she longs to be part of something greater than bloodlines and class. Her smile fades to neutral as she speaks.

"How very admirable of you, Princess! Now you mentioned chaos, and I can only assume you mean the ongoing strife in New Edom. As we all know, this is their third civil war in nearly two decades. Are you concerned that the violence and instability could instigate unrest here in Deadora?"

"Slightly, yes. There are always undesirables looking to exploit tragedies for their own, selfish ends. But like you said, New Edom has been at war with itself twice before without damaging the Empire. As long as we remain vigilant we will be fine, and Empress Jennifer is the fiercest, most vigilant woman in the world! Truly, I feel more pity for the Edomites than anything. It is their innocents, their women and children, who are the most vulnerable to suffering during these dark times, often targeted specifically."

Bethany speaks the Empress's name affectionately; an idolized big sister, an inspiring mother. As she goes on it is replaced by frustration and distress. She wears a little frown, even glances down at the floor.

"Do you think the Monarchist government, the largely recognized successor to the Pahath-Moab regime that controls most of mainland New Edom, is doing enough to protect these vulnerable innocents?"

"Not at all! In fact, I think it's rather horrible what they're doing, allowing foreigners an unfettered run across the country. You know these Hutanijans are as barbaric as any patriarch on the field of battle, and we're already hearing news stories about how they've raped and murdered hundreds of women in Bara. It confounds my mind to imagine how the one woman in the best position to help these victims, Princess Jocasta, can sit back and let these foreign mercenaries ravage her people while she lives in the lap of luxury."

"Does that mean you think the Matriarch Empress ought to withhold recognition from the Monarchists, or recognize their rivals, the Theocratic Republic in northern New Edom?"

"I'm not privy to the same information as the Matriarch Empress, and a civil war is such a complicated muddle, but at least the Republic is just trying to create a safe space to live their lives. I don't blame them after all of Perrin the Patriarch's purges. But I know the Empress will make the wisest choice. She always does!"

"A prominent newspaper from Gloria Regis released an issue yesterday announcing the results of a historic election where the Feminist Party received the majority vote. Their new Premier, Livia Barberina, pledged to declare independence. What are your thoughts?"

"I think it's great. The Gloria Regians have suffered quite a bit under the Edomite occupation, and it is heart lifting to see a people unite and decide they want to create an independent and safe society for women. But the journey towards independence can be supremely difficult, a lesson we learned two hundred years ago that is just as true today. I support an independent Gloria Regis, and I think Deadora should too."

Her voice raises slightly in timbre and gravitas. Again the angle cuts to include Bethany and the portrait, a prophetic tease at what may be. She holds a fierce expression muffled by her soft features, then transitions to a stunning smile.

"Thank you for your time, Princess! It was such a pleasure to finally meet you."

The two women stand and leave the room as the sound and picture fade away.
Strategy is the art of creating power.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:01 pm

Government Praises Elections in Gloria Regis

Several months into the Third Edomite Civil War, it appears that some progress has been made on the Protectorate of Gloria Regis. Following the Olympic Stadium collapse, the Feminist Collective Party, outlawed and forced underground under the Pahath-Moab government, emerged to form an independent government on the island. They were aided by the mutiny of an Edomite carrier group, which declared solidarity with the movement and stated its intention to defend the island against reprisals by the mainland.

Since then Gloria Regis has seen tensions ebb and flow, coming to a head a few weeks after Pahath-Moab's death. The Edomite monarchy was initially divided in its loyalties between Queen Mara I and Princess Jocasta Obed. Those loyal to the Queen cautiously pursued negotiation with Gloria Regis, while the Heir's supporters advocated armed intervention. This debate was only partially resolved by the formation of the Regency, which tempered both calls for moderation as well as military action, muddying the issue somewhat. The outbreak of open hostilities in western Bara Province, however, drew the monarchy's attention to more immediate concerns.

Political battles raged in the Gloria Regian Senate as well, with different wings of the Feminist Party, the Intellectual Party, and the monarchist National Wisdom Party debating the merits of independence and continuity of government from the last administration under Nelson Smith. The Feminist Collective Party underwent defections and internal leadership challenges. There were even concerns amongst the international community about the possibilities of political repression and armed conflict based on certain comments from radical feminists.

Ultimately, however, cooler heads prevailed on both sides. On the mainland, the newly-appointed Regent Elijah Shalmaneser continued to advocate moderation and cautious negotiation while presenting a clear set of terms regarding the mutineers and elections. Premier Barberina rallied her party against more radical elements of her caucus, eventually successfully garnering the votes to open official talks with the mainland.

In the end, an agreement was reached by which Gloria Regis' future would be determined through democratic means. With observers from multiple nations on hand, the Protectorate of Gloria Regis held island-wide elections. Despite an early lead by the Intellectual Party in the polls, ultimately the Feminist Party gained a plurality in the Senate with 53% of the vote.

At a conference with the Center for Democratic Progress today, Secretary of State Deol took the opportunity to clarify the government's position on the protectorate. "This week we've really seen something extraordinary unfold in Gloria Regis. A settlement was reached not through gunboat diplomacy, not by martial law, not by stacking the deck, but through negotiation and compromise.

"I think it highlights the remarkable leadership of Premier Barberina and His Highness the Regent. Despite facing pressure from various parties within their own camps, they remained steady and were able to reach a mutually acceptable solution, one which was ultimately based on popular consent. It is fortunate that two level-headed leaders emerged at just the right time, one the head of New Edom's elections committee whose efforts were praised by this very organization, the other a tireless activist for moderation, fairness, and democracy."

"It is the government's position that this election was a success for democracy. Gloria Regis' government under Premier Barberina shall reflect the will of its people, as will any decisions made regarding independence and its future relationship with New Edom. It also gives us hope that a similar peace is possible on mainland New Edom under Prince Elijah."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Free Garza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2005

Gloria Regis Recognition Still Not Implemented!

Postby Free Garza » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:12 am

Free Garza City Matador,
Lisa Benitez

Despite a recent vote on a compromise bill that recognized Gloria Regis as a sovereign nation, no measures have yet been taken to implement the obvious consequences of such recognition. The consul, Felix Navarro, has not yet been promoted to the rank of Ambassador. The consulate in Sixington has not yet been upgraded to an embassy. The Ministry of Finance has cited "budgetary constraints," but there is little doubt that the King and His Catholic Majesty's Government are less than pleased with the decision by the Cortes to recognize Gloria Regis and thus endanger the alliance with New Edom. Justice Minister Dr. Rodrigo Calderon has even hinted that some legal action might be taken to contest the provision regarding Gloria Regis as "breaching our existing treaty obligations to New Edom and thus potentially null and void." This suggests to many observers that the Crown could actually challenge the particular clause regarding Gloria Regis in the courts.

In light of the recently leaked reports that indicate that a force of Garzan military criminals have been granted royal clemency and released into Edomite custody, with the strong suggestion of a formal naturalization as Edomite citizens, the conclusions seem to be rather clear to this admitted sympathizer with Gloria Regis. The Crown and His Catholic Majesty's Government, aside from Princess Dora, have little use for Gloria Regis or any other cause that might offend their friends in Fineberg or endanger the Edomite-Garzan alliance. They are determined to bend or even break the laws of the realm, if needs must, in order to secure and preserve said alliance at all costs.

Private sources even intimated to this reporter that "Satan will get frostbite before Gloria Regis gets full normalization of relations without Edomite consent. The Regent has a real veto there, because the King and Premier will do nothing to risk the partnership with New Edom."

The fact that the Feminist Collective Party won so many seats in the Senate admittedly hasn't helped the cause of Gloria Regis in Free Garza, with even Liberal Democrats admitting that, "We had hopes of at least an Intellectual Party government. But now....now the real crazies are in charge, more permanently, probably for life once they've canceled the next round of elections and imposed their one-party state, instituted their forced famines, gulags, purges, secret police, and show trials. We really hoped that supporting their claim of independence would moderate the Gloria Regian voters' politics, not radicalize them. This proves that we were too optimistic by half."
Last edited by Free Garza on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viva La Garza!

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:58 am

The Kalko's Cry
The First Independent News Source of the Shrailleeni Empire

June, 1291 (2015)
National News

Treason in the Capital!
Attempted Coup Thwarted, Nobility Arrested!

Imperial City - Shock! Dishonor! Treachery!

After days of speculation, a spokesperson for the Mother Empress has confirmed: The noble Houses of Shrailleen, with the sole exception of Kurungarra, have plotted to murder Her Enlightened Majesty and take control of the Imperial government. Their villainous conspiracy was thwarted through the efforts of brave Shrailleeni sailors, loyal Black Wing forces, and the blessings of the Mother of All, and the perpetrators have been placed under arrest.

Confusion and rumors spread throughout the capital a week ago when residents were startled to find dozens of Black Wing aircraft and armored vehicles converging around the airspace and street entrances of the Imperial Palace. Numerous reports of small arms fire were reported by people closest to the palace grounds, and Black Wing forces denied access to all but the highest level members of government. At the time no official information was given regarding the presence of the Shrailleeni defense force at the heart of the Imperial City, and rumors of treason, emergency, and even foreign invasion abounded. The government maintained silence regarding the event for days.

Today that silence was broken in a two-part announcement to the national press. Early this morning, an official spokesperson for the Imperial government met with Cry correspondents to offer a detailed description of events. The details of this report will be published here for the first time, the record revealing a story of chilling betrayal:

In the immediate wake of New Edomite leader Perrin Pahath-Moab's death, members of four of the Great Houses of the Shrailleeni Empire met in secret without the knowledge of the Mother Empress. Their cause was to form a reaction to the recent Divine Revelation which graced the people of the Empire from the Mother Goddess, and the Mother Empress's wise and Enlightened decision to explore ways to carry the Revelation out.

The decision was made, with the full backing and authority of the Great Matriarchs, to halt the upcoming National Assembly by murdering the Mother Empress and blaming the act on radical Republican terrorists. The Great Houses would then control the new Mother Empress through blackmail and threat of force to renounce the Divine Revelation and make war on the Republican sects still in existence throughout the country.

This coup was thwarted when a brave individual, a member of the inner circle of conspiracy, revolted against this vile plan and alerted members of the Imperial Navy who were able to stop the planned attack on the Mother Empress's private aircraft.

Unaware of this, the Great Houses convened in the Imperial City to plot their next moves. Using the element of surprise, the Mother Empress commanded loyal Black Wing forces to converge on the palace and arrest all of those responsible. The Great Matriarchs were arrested attempting to flee the palace grounds, along with dozens of high-ranking Queens and members of court.

The details of the coup were kept a secret for days while the Mother Empress and the remaining loyal members of the Imperial government sought out other members of the conspiracy across the islands. In total, two hundred and seventy three Queens and Princesses, along with their husbands and most loyal supporters, have been arrested and held in the Imperial dungeons to await sentencing for their crimes.

The second part of the announcement, made more recently, was an official speech from Her Enlightened Majesty the Mother Empress herself. Addressing both the national and international press, the Mother Empress pardoned certain members of the nobility as innocent, and spoke passionately about the strength and future of the Shrailleeni Empire.

"...Not all of my Sisters and Daughters are guilty of this most Unenlightened treason. I hereby absolve High Queen Atchell Thrina fe Fromathra of any involvement in this conspiracy, as the daughter of my blood has shown nothing but the utmost loyalty to myself and the Imperial House. The honored Matriarch Princess Tress Vilnis fe Fromathra, Matriarch of War, is also absolved through her quick action and unswerving faith in bringing her kin to justice. Queen Gillya Venda fe Sevreen of Dressanna, who severed all ties with her family upon learning of this treason, shall likewise keep her name and titles..."

Included in the list of vindications were numerous small families, Princesses and Princes not yet of adult age, and other select nobility. The Mother Empress then continued by speaking of the upcoming National Assembly:

"Never have I been more certain in my duties as Mother Empress, or in the course that we the Children of the Mother Goddess must take. I hereby announce that the first National Assembly of the Shrailleeni Empire shall be held in one week's time, and that the venue for this historic gathering shall be nothing less than the Imperial Palace itself. I have received assurances from all of the invited parties, from all Republican movements and city councils, from the Temple of the Mother Goddess and from those of noble blood who remain loyal and devoted to the Mother Goddess and to the people their Children, that all will be in attendance. Together we shall shape the future of our nation by forging it anew, and creating a land in which all Shrailleeni regardless of the circumstances of their birth will have the right to help decide the fate of their Sisters, Brothers, husbands, neighbors, and children. I have now seen first-hand the corruption of the past, and I vow that it shall continue no longer."

The fates of the arrested coup leaders, who include among them many of the nations formerly most powerful women and men, has not yet been announced. It is assumed that the Imperial government is continuing its investigations before passing any permanent sentencing. Capital punishment has been banned in the Empire for just over a century, but many people on the street are of the opinion that it should be an option revisited.
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Allamunnic States » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Official Statement of the Federal Government of the Federation of Allamunnic States

On the behalf of the Federal Government of the Allamunnic States, we would like to express my relief and pleasure at the news of successfully-concluded elections on the island of Gloria Regis. This government has no position on the composition of the new Gloria Regian government, other than that it is good to see the will of the people determining the direction of the new nation.

We would like, as well, to commend the government of New Edom for their own work in ensuring the smooth transition of power in Gloria Regis, including their role in fostering the democratic process there. We look forward to seeing this process unfold with similar success on the mainland, and urge cooperation among all elements in New Edom with the democratic process.

In regards to Gloria Regis: in the eyes of this government, this process is credible and sufficient to make the resulting government a fully valid one worthy of equal status to other national governments throughout the world. Accordingly, I have the pleasure of extending full diplomatic recognition to the independent nation of Gloria Regis from the Federal government of the Allamunnic States.

At this time, as well, we wish to address the concerns about a potential single-party government in Gloria Regis:

Currently, while such fears are understandable, it is the opinion of the Allamunnic federal government that there is not credible reason to fear single-party rule in the newly-independent nation of Gloria Regis. That said, we intend to monitor Gloria Regian governmental activity and civil society, with the intention of nurturing a free and open civil society and a vibrant and representative political system.

The new Gloria Regian government, so long as it follows the course of freedom and government for and by the people, has the blessing of the federal government of the Allamunnic States.

With great hopes for liberty,
Jordynn Graagursunn,
Director,
Ministry of Foreign Affairs

with the approval of

Stevan R. Grimmeburger,
Head of State
Federation of Allamunnic States
Part of the Ajax Role-Playing Community.
Stay apprised of developments in Ottonia
Political Compass
Six-Time World Bowl Champions (XVI, XVII, XIX, XXIII, XXV, XXVII)
WLC VII & X Champs (WLC VI, XI & XIII Runners-Up)

United Valik
Diplomat

Supreme Court of Justice voids birth control ban!

Postby United Valik » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Glauconeum Herald,
Ignace Masaryk

Today, the most contentious birth control law in the nation's history, the Abortificient Non-Importation Enforcement Act, intended to prevent the importation of certain birth-control devices and medications into the country, a law instituted in 2011, saw a section invalidated by the Supreme Court of Justice as "exceeding the lawful and constitutional mandate given to the Federal Government under this Constitution, as it prohibits some devices and medications which do not cause abortions from being imported into the Republic." Specifically, the importation of Supplant DV-9, a birth control implant placed just under the skin, had been prohibited under this law, but now this ban has been nullified by the Supreme Court of Justice in the case of Strauss vs. Kojak, which was decided by a margin of 5-2 today.

The seven member high court essentially accepted the arguments of the importer, Kojak Pharmaceuticals, Inc., that abortificients for the purposes of Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution consisted solely of any devices that prevent implantation of a conceived embryo, not those which prevent fertilization of ova by spermatozoa in the first place. Since Supplant DV-9 prevents fertilization by releasing a spermicidal chemical, but does not prevent implantation of an already fertilized embryo, it is not deemed to be an illegal abortificient, but rather a legal contraceptive device.

The federal counsel, Yakov Strauss, has conceded that this matter is now closed, saying, "The affair is decided now. Whatever the merits of the case, the precedent and legal standard have been set by the highest court in the land. We now know what is not prohibited, at least in this case. The rest of the law remains valid, with only one provision of it overturned. We now know that for the purposes of federal case law and the Constitution as interpreted by our courts, only implantation and abortion after implantation may be banned, not any form of spermicide."

The decision has been hailed by feminist and birth-control advocates, while being decried by religious leaders and Federalist Party Chairman Mikis Baukis. Baukis called this decision, "an open door to national extinction." The Federalist Party renewed calls to outlaw all forms of abortion and contraception in order to "encourage rather than discourage procreation, the only way that our nation can survive." He also warned that "feminism, abortion, and contraception are all enemies of posterity and of our nation."

United Valik
Diplomat

Prime Minister Pappas submits GR recognition bill!

Postby United Valik » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Glauconeum Chronicle,
Stefania Brzezinski

Today, 23 June, 2015, Dr. Basil Pappas, Prime Minister of the Federal Democratic Republic of United Valik, presented to Parliament the draft of a proposed Gloria Regis Independence and Freedom Act, the substance of which will result in recognition of Gloria Regis as a fully sovereign nation in its own right, independent of the Allied States of New Edom. It will also direct the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to begin work on credentials, documentation, and protocols to prepare for full normalization of relations with Gloria Regis and its "duly elected national government."

However, it should be noted that there is a possible poison pill of sorts in the "economic chapter" of the Act, as this directs that trade and commerce should only be permitted with Gloria Regis "until such time as a single-party dictatorship or tyranny of any manner might be imposed on the newly liberated people and citizens of Gloria Regis." In the event that such should take place, economic sanctions and a travel ban could be imposed, along with possible suspension of diplomatic relations, perhaps even a full embargo. It is clear that this was needed to secure the approval of the National Liberals, the Prime Minister's own party, due to fears that Gloria Regis could transform over time into a "Marxist-Feminist police state."

Given the strength of support for recognition in most of the opposition as well as the governing coalition by now, it is almost certain that the Act will be ratified and that Gloria Regis will be recognized, at which point, an ambassador to Gloria Regis would then be selected, as well as a possible consul in Iphigenia. Negotiations for trade and other agreements could well follow afterward. This is almost certainly a historic day for both nations in their relations with each other and it only became possible because the Gloria Regian leadership honored their word and respected the sovereignty of the People in a free and fair general election, which gave them a mandate to govern for at least the first phase of their national history. It also became possible because New Edom and its Regent honored their word and respected the will of the Gloria Regian electorate.

Congratulations, Gloria Regis. You are truly free at last. Welcome to the family of nations. Now, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and prove yourself worthy of it.

Free Garza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2005

Omnibus Foreign Relations Act finally carried out!

Postby Free Garza » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:03 am

Free Garza City Matador,
Lisa Benitez

There has been some considerable criticism in the recent past about the failure and refusal of His Catholic Majesty’s Government, led by Premier Marco Roman, to implement the Omnibus Foreign Relations Act, which was enacted earlier this year by the Cortes and signed into law by then Princess Regent Dora during the King’s brief absence. This criticism was justified, because the Government had so prioritized its alliance with New Edom over its constitutional duties to the People and the nation that it had failed to execute and comply with the law of the land, both in the form of the Constitution and the aforementioned Act.

Now, however, the Government has ceased making excuses about “budgetary necessities” and stopped dragging its feet. Following “advice” from His Catholic Majesty, King Diego IV, Premier Marco Roman has meekly obeyed the will of the People’s representatives that he should have already followed. He has promoted Consul to Gloria Regis Felix Navarro to the rank of Ambassador to Gloria Regis and upgraded the consulate to an embassy. Instructions have also been made for Navarro to present his credentials to Premier Livia Barberina, as head of the “democratically elected government of the newly independent nation of Gloria Regis.”

Whatever the delays and excuses made, the right decision has finally been made, and while they earned a rebuke for delaying this long, preferably at the polls, the King and Government deserve some grudging respect for finally doing what was right. For now, let us work together to establish good relations with both New Edom and Gloria Regis. We can leave judgments for Election Day.
Viva La Garza!

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 am

Domestic Security Act passes despite controversy

STRANA MECHTY - The High Council today by a vote of 112 ayes, 58 nays, and 30 abstains passed the Domestic Security Act, a bill that aims to curb potential terrorist threats against the interior of Jedoria. However, the Act has come under fire by several prominent civil rights groups who claim that the law would strip away the right to privacy, and in some words, turn Jedoria down the path to a police state.

The Domestic Security Act was introduced earlier this year following the outbreak of civil war in New Edom and the terrorist attacks in Adiron, and was stated to provide the Department of Internal Security "The tools and know how to combat insider threads against the Confederation and it's people." The bill itself is a wide umbrella that covers many facets from immigration, border security, and while some elements are intended to streamline current processes, several provisions have come under scrutiny by watchdog groups.

In particular is Section C's Article 5, which allows Law Enforcement to conduct "unofficial investigations" aimed at individuals deemed to be acting "in a manner that indicates malevolent intentions towards the nation and the Jedorian people." The vague wording of the provision has been blasted for opening the door to subversion of privacy rights, along with the additional condition that Internal Security will no longer require a warrant to monitor web activity and telecommunications of suspected malcontents.

The civil rights group, Citizens for the Protection of Civil Liberties (CPCL) have vowed to bring the legality of the Act to the Courts and maintain that the passage of the bill represents "a profound and naked act of aggression against the rights of everyday Jedorian citizens."

Minority groups likewise are near uniform in their condemnation of the Act, claiming that it will open up further discrimination against religious minorities, in particular Christian and Magi followers. Supporters of the bill denied there was any connection and that the Act is entirely unbiased in nature.

Duke Victor Răceanu is expected to sign the bill into law later today.

In other news, a peace settlement has been reached in New Edom.
Last edited by Jedoria on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:12 am

Breaking: Peace in New Edom

(A middle-aged news anchor in a suit is seated before a window of the nighttime Puerto Rojas skyline. Though he's talking about a political story, when he reaches a break point in the conversation he changes the subject)

"And thank you, Tim, we're going to cut this just a bit short. We are just now receiving a breaking story from our Senior Correspondent Chris Olsen that a peace agreement has been reached between the Theocratic Republic and the Regency of New Edom, brokered between Queen Mara I and Prophet Samuel Under in the Cathedral of the End Times. We go now to Hillel.

(Cut to the shot of the antechamber of the Cathedral. The doors to the inner chambers open, and Queen Mara and the Prophet, Samuel Under, emerge)

“We will have peace,” said the Prophet, holding up his hands as he was barraged with questions. “The Queen and I, and the Regent, have come to an understanding. President Carmel has agreed, we spoke on the phone. Monarchist forces have captured Nass. We have agreed to talk peace terms while we can do so from a position of relative strength."

Mara said, smiling, taking his hand a moment, “The peace we have agreed is to reconcile. You see, the Free Congress were afraid, and rightly, because my sister, advised by people who were mistaken and perhaps misjudged and made grave errors, attacked their protesters. This set of fear and suspicion. And hatred and fear lead to more of the same. And so we had civil war again. And I understand this, and I believe the right path is forgiveness, all round.”

(Cut back to Townsend in the studio)

"Apparently this happened only a few minutes ago, caught on film by our team, who we are getting on air right now. Viewers who have been following our Queen's Gambit series will be familiar with their story so far. Traveling more or less alone, the Queen and our team boarded a peacekeeping flight bound for Hillel carrying refugees and aid workers," he explained, stalling for time before looking off to one side. "And now we go to Senior Correspondent Chris Olsen. Chris."

(Cut to a shot in Hillel, an older-looking city with the massive stone facade of the Cathedral of the End Times in the background. There are celebrating crowds in the background. Front and center is Chris Olsen, filmed from the waist up bare-chested. He has a strong frame, broad shoulders, and a well-muscled chest and stomach)

"Mark," he replies.

"Chris it's remarkable you were here to witness this firsthand. We can see people celebrating behind you. Tell us everything you can about this agreement. How was this possible?"

"Well that was just an excerpt from the full speech in the Cathedral. We're going to air it in full on Gambit tonight, but you saw that the Queen spoke about reconciliation," Chris explained, the audio on a bit of a delay.

"The Prophet spoke at length about the terms, and it's essentially a series of compromises. If you'll recall the protests, which we covered and were mentioned by the Queen, the Heri's cabinet appointments were what touched off most of the early unrest that built into the civil war. What this agreement does is recognize the current Council of Ministers as an interim Cabinet until the election, at which point they can be vetted by an elected Chamber of Deputies. Some will probably keep their posts, others may not, but this way there's input from the voting public."

"What happens to the Theocrats in the meantime, especially those who took up arms against the government?"

"Compromise again. The ETC militias will be disarmed and demobilized and all former Theocratic Republic officials will step down from public office, relinquishing any claims to power. The Theocratic Republic is effectively disbanded as a separatist movement. In exchange it was agreed that clemency will be granted to the ETC, which means no purges or reprisals. Military officers who sided with the Theocratic Republic may retire or be considered for reinstatement in the Edomite armed forces, and former Theocratic officials have the possibility of running for office again in the future."

"Obviously this is a major game-changer for the ETC. Are there any comparable changes to the Regency?"

"Yes, there are. If you'll recall, the Regency was essentially founded on the notion that the Queen was unfit to rule owing to mental illness while the Heir was inexperienced owing to her youth. The Regent, Prince Elijah Shalmaneser, would therefore act as Head of State for several years while the Queen attended to her health and the Heir gained experience in government. There are two big shakeups here."

"First, the Queen has been deemed fit to rule," he begins before being interrupted.

"So hold on a second, does that mean the Queen's mental illness has been cured? Have you noticed a change in her?"

"Well..." Chris says, hesitating a bit. "I'm not a therapist, Mark. Maybe one watches Gambit who could tell us, but in traveling with her, I never noticed that she was making any unsound judgements or was unbalanced. I don't know anything about her condition or previous state before coming on this journey, but the proof's in the pudding. Regardless of her condition it's looking increasingly like she was able to end a civil war."

"So what was the second big shakeup?"

"The Queen will divorce Michael of Dakmoor to instead marry the Regent, who will become King," Chris says.

"Interesting, why did they want him?"

"In brief, they trust him. The way he handled Harbourtown gave the Theocrats reason to believe they would be treated justly in the event of a military defeat, and was likely key to reaching this agreement. He's committed to democracy, as evidenced in Gloria Regis, and he's been head of the largely successful National Elections Committee for over a year. Between his leadership and the way the Queen went about demonstrating her commitment to the people of New Edom, this is a monarchy the Theocrats can presumably get behind."

"I suppose it will certainly be for the best if it helps bring peace. We can only wonder what this will mean for the Edomite alliance with Ghant," Townsend says.

"We'll have to see," Chris says plainly.

"So, do you think if the Queen had reached Hillel sooner the war would have ended earlier?" Townsend asks, seeing that subject was done.

"Well, it's interesting how events have all come together in a way. While the Queen was in talks with the Prophet, we actually received a text message—and you'll see this in the show—that Nass had fallen to the Monarchists."

"Also within the past hour?"

"Yes."

"So was that the last straw? Did that help make all this possible?"

"At this point we can only speculate, Mark. It's possible things could have gone differently if the Queen made it here while the Theocrats still had Harbourtown and Nass. If they had more leverage the Prophet may have made fewer concessions back then. That's a lot of maybes though. Everyone in Hillel however seems impressed with the Queen taking this long and decidedly risky pilgrimage, however. She has clout."

"And you and your team shared in that risk. As always we look forward to seeing the whole story later on Queen's Gambit. Stay safe out there in the meantime, Chris," Mark said.

Chris wryly glanced behind him at the celebrating crowd. "Thanks Mark. We'll try," he said with a smirk.

Townsend didn't seem to notice. "And that was Chris Olsen live from the Cathedral of the End Times with the first report of the end of the Third Edomite Civil War. Stay tuned for analysis by our foreign policy team and what it means for Adiran peacekeepers currently deployed in New Edom."

(End of Segment)
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Deadora
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Deadora » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:06 pm

News for the People

Innovative Integration

Deadora Joins Cornellia's Largest Economic Bloc

Oerene Balla
Journalist

Rik'Shor, Deadora Early last week, nations of southern Acheron joined Deadora in creating the South Acheron Economic Community, a trade and customs union that joins six of the continents rising economies, including the fledgling independent Gloria Regis. Negotiations with the signatories began in the aftermath of the War of Othmani Aggression against Lazodiria and United Valik, a conflict that devastated the two gulf states before being turned back by a multilateral coalition. The initial deal would allow capital and goods easier access to the disturbed markets, increasing the pace at which they could recover. As the scope and concept of the agreement started to crystallize, invitations were extended to the High Queendom of Kurungarra and the Sar Sarranum of Spartianus.

It is also expected that SAEC will not only aid the recovery of post-war economies in the Gulf States, but increase the quality of life for Imperial citizens and the long term productivity of the Deadoran economy. While businesses that previously enjoyed Imperial protection from foreign competition may see initial losses in the face of more corporations more experienced in the international market, the free movement of expertise and labour will only add to economic growth as Deadorans adapt.

But SAEC's achievements go beyond the economic. As Matriarch of Foreign Affairs, Arlenica Nessic, said when contacted for a statement, "[SAEC] is a declaration of solidarity with the weaker nations of Acheron. While it is not a defense agreement, the Empire is invested in protecting the integrity of these economies, of the livelihood of all citizens, against patriarchal aggression; be it a revanchist New Othman or any other foe."

Matriarch Empress Jennifer Thrall, with the stroke of a pen, has transformed southern Acheron and struck the death blow to economic and diplomatic isolation tracing back across the century to the climatic resolution of the Great War.

International News
  • Civil War Ends in New Edom
  • What's Next for Gloria Regis?
  • Birth Control in United Valik: A Feminist Victory
Last edited by Deadora on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategy is the art of creating power.

New Othman
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Nightclub Destroyed By Bombs in New Ankara!

Postby New Othman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:58 am

New Ankara Gazette,
Aya Gundogan reporting

The Altinay nightclub in downtown New Ankara, a famous and popular location for successful members of the growing Othmani middle class, was destroyed in a series of explosions, with the first blast from an improvised devise that killed at least 65 people and injured a minimum of 79 others. The second blast was apparently timed to strike and hurt firefighters, rescue workers, EMTs, and police when they arrived on the scene. There was no third blast, but even so, that possibility can't be ruled out in the future.

Not half an hour later, a group calling itself the "Vengeance of Allah" claimed responsibility for the bombing in a note left at the doors of the Al-Samir Mosque, a Shia location, warning that, "For the Shia liars who claim to be Muslims, you are next. The Vengeance of Allah has been shown against the foreigners, fornicators, and filthy usurers who pollute this great nation with their wickedness, sin, abominations, and crimes against Allah and their fellow Othmani. The treason and blasphemy of the infidels and apostates shall be punished!"

The "Vengeance of Allah" has reportedly made demands that New Othman be transformed into a caliphate, that Sharia law be instituted, that Shia "unbelievers" be forced to convert to Sunni Islam, that Shia clerics be executed, that the Treaty of Beaulieu is renounced, that the armed forces are rebuilt, that social services be expanded, that the draft be reinstated, and the Constitution must be abrogated. They also apparently wish to see women required to wear the burk-ha as well.

The best thing that we must as a society is to reject their extreme demands and continue our progress as a nation. The most patriotic cause right now is peace and prosperity. We must advance and rebuild, not tear ourselves down to spite our former enemies. As for the social welfare, we were already doing that, anyway. We must not return to the repressive, misogynistic past.
Last edited by New Othman on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is high time for ballots, and not bullets. For bread and butter, not tanks treading on foreign streets. For reform, for schools, for more police on the beat, instead of building up a massive war machine used only to bully our neighbors. The only armed forces that the new New Othman needs are those which defend the nation itself from aggression. We don't need the trillions that we used to spend for that." - Udan Varcar

"Radical feminism in the west is less about womens liberation (and that's fair - women in the west have been largely liberated after all), and more about authoritarian thought policing." - Hirota

"The function of our social services is to discourage sedition." - Premier Bayazid Izmirek, 2005

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents