NATION

PASSWORD

CORNELLIAN EMPIRE NEWS (closed, Region Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Allamunnic States » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Allamunnic States Daily
National News

CPO Contingent Announced
Purchase of firearms also announced

By Korynn Hunt

Roan, Ainslynd --- Yesterday Generalissimo Stevan Grimmeburger, accompanied by Minister of Defense Andrik Daanylsunn, announced that the 4th Regular Brigade would be deployed to New Edom to serve as the Allamunnic contingent in a recently-approved peacekeeping and mediation mission to resolve the ongoing political crisis there.

"The mission calls for troops to patrol a demarcation line separating the belligerent parties, restraining both from further bloodshed. Other aspects of the mission will call for defending polling places and political and campaign events during the upcoming Edomite elections, to ensure a peaceful, fair atmosphere for the electoral process," the Generalissimo explained. "After much discussion, we believe the men and women of the 4th Brigade to be more than up to the task, and they have been selected accordingly. They will also be aided by a battalion-sized detachment from the Federal Gendarmerie."

At press time, elements of the 15th Mobile Infantry Battalion and the 37th Service Battalion were boarding planes to begin the airlift process to New Edom. They should be arriving at Padan-Aran some time tomorrow, at which point they will begin their coordinated efforts with Noviteran and Spartianian contingents.

Later in the press conference, Minister of Defense Andrik Daanylsunn confirmed the purchase of 10,000 units of the AUX-2 assault rifle from Vyrsarian defense company SK Armaments. Daanylsunn indicated that the rifles were intended to replace the problematic SCAR 78 that Federal Army mechanized troops have been using since 2012. Complaints about the current firearms included issues with CPO standardized munitions that could cause the weapons to malfunction in a manner dangerous to the operator.

Daanylsunn also confirmed that the new rifles would enter service with the Federal Heavy Infantry within the next year.
Part of the Ajax Role-Playing Community.
Stay apprised of developments in Ottonia
Political Compass
Six-Time World Bowl Champions (XVI, XVII, XIX, XXIII, XXV, XXVII)
WLC VII & X Champs (WLC VI, XI & XIII Runners-Up)

New Othman
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Ambassador to New Edom calls for peace

Postby New Othman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:37 am

New Ankara Gazette
Mehmet Berisha

Recep Adnek, Othmani Ambassador to New Edom, has openly called for "peace and democracy in New Edom, an end to riots, restoration of law and order, free elections, the maintenance of the rule of law, the preservation of the safety of lives, liberty, and property, the restoration of due process, and avoiding a repeat of the unfortunate civil wars and internal strife that have plagued New Edom and New Othman alike in the recent past. We call for both sides to work with the CPO and each other toward a peaceful reconciliation, and we call for patience on the part of Gloria Regis, rather than rushing full tilt toward secession until it is clear that the people still desire it after all this time."

"As a friend and trade partner of New Edom, New Othman wishes to see peace and prosperity for all people in both lands. As to Gloria Regis, if there is to be a separation, let it be because all affected by it consent to it. Otherwise, perhaps some other form of self-rule would suit better. We applaud both General Hesperinus and Ms. Barberina for showing admirable self-restraint in the handling of this dispute between them, so that the electors in Gloria Regis can have their final say about the matter in peace. We applaud them for limiting violence and confusion, for not interfering with the elections, in the General's case, for not reimposing martial-law, and in Ms. Barberina's case, for not abusing the power as having a monopoly of police powers for her Militia would surely tempt her to do. We urge them to continue this solid work toward free and open elections and consider them an example to be followed on the mainland as well.

"Whatever transpires in New Edom and Gloria Regis, we hope that it is the freely expressed will of the People, exercised in free and fair elections under CPO supervision. Perrin Pahath-Moab was a friend to us, and for his sake and that of his memory, we wish only the best for the Edomite people."
"It is high time for ballots, and not bullets. For bread and butter, not tanks treading on foreign streets. For reform, for schools, for more police on the beat, instead of building up a massive war machine used only to bully our neighbors. The only armed forces that the new New Othman needs are those which defend the nation itself from aggression. We don't need the trillions that we used to spend for that." - Udan Varcar

"Radical feminism in the west is less about womens liberation (and that's fair - women in the west have been largely liberated after all), and more about authoritarian thought policing." - Hirota

"The function of our social services is to discourage sedition." - Premier Bayazid Izmirek, 2005

Laudine
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Laudine » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:51 pm

Edit: retconned away
Last edited by Laudine on Mon May 15, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Servius Ahenobarbus is engaged to Princess Malina Silven!

Postby Late Roman Empire » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:53 pm

Belisarium Herald,
Manius Papirius

Servius Ahenobarbus, the new Praetorian Prefect of Constantinople, has been engaged to marry Her Royal Ossorian Highness, Princess Malina Silven of the House of Silven, the royal dynasty of the High Kingdom of Ossoria, a further match to strengthen the alliance between two former enemies who have improved their relations since correspondence began less than two years ago and the Empire joined the Belisarian League, signing the Belisarian Sovereignty Accords.

Aged 34, Count Ahenobarbus is also recognized as officially third in the imperial line of succession as decreed last winter by the Edict of Accession (29 December, 2014). His engagement to Princess Malina is thus a highly significant move, as it indicates a blood tie from the imperial family to the the supreme royal family of Ossoria, the one which produces the central monarchy. By marrying a member of the House of Silven, the Praetorian Prefect is also formally uniting the Roman and Ossorian dynasties into one family, just as the Emperor's Tartarian wife, Empress Serena, helped combine the imperial house of Tartarus with that of the Empire.

Foreign policy watchers also noted that the Emperor having spoken at the Dail and the High Queen been extended an invitation recently to address the Senate, are further steps which cement the Roman-Ossorian alliance...thus uniting one of the largest land powers in the region to its principal naval power....a union of giants from both sides, and not one that can be ignored. Enemies to both nations would rightfully have cause to fear attacking either one and our partnership strengthens the influence and prestige of each nation separately as well.

The Count's sister, Servia Ahenobarba, is Queen of Gaemar through marriage to King Gadiel there. The Count is a cousin of the Divine Augustus himself.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Manumission Day Brings Shocking News!

Postby Late Roman Empire » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Chalcedon Gazette,
Manlius Constantius

Manumission Day, 2 April, 2015, witnessed incredibly good news, in that the Sacred Palace has announced that Countess Livia Marcella, the Emperor's natural daughter, is expecting a child by her husband, the Caesar Titus Clemens. This was most fitting, given that the Countess's mother is a freedwoman herself, rumored to have had her freedom bought by the Augustus himself after their brief liaison, though that was never proven.

This Manumission Day has also witnessed the news that the usurper Arcadius Secundus, who briefly deposed the Augustus Decentius, was found in New Othman this morning. He has apparently declared that his dream had been to rebuild at least part of the Cornellian Empire and reinstate slavery, as well as exterminate all Magi. He also admitted that he had befriended New Othman's former Fascist leaders in the hope of future assistance in regaining the Principate of Rome. He has, by his own admission, participated in several of the activities in Saint-Severin and Lazodiria of the Fascist Party Militia. If this is true, the Roman Legate in Lazodiria, Camillus Nerva, has indicated that the Empire will forgo its rights to extradite Arcadius Secundus in favor of Lazodiria, as "war crimes trump even treason in their malevolence."

At the time that Arcadius Secundus was located, he was apparently involved in illegal arms deals involving the banned Black Sword of Islam organization, indicating that he had transferred his interests to militant Islam in place of Fascism. Reports suggested that Arcadius Secundus was to recognize a restored Othmani Caliphate in exchange for aid in restoring his throne.

In summary, Arcadius Secundus, if he is extradited to Lazodiria as a war criminal, will ironically have saved his own life by doing so, since Lazodiria has no death penalty, unlike the Empire. Meanwhile, the true Emperor, in the Empire that has long since dismissed Arcadius as a mere footnote of history, is about to become a grandfather. As a former victim, along with my late wife and family, of that man's brutality, I can only hope that this prompts Lazodiria to restore capital punishment, after all.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Gimme News

April 4, 2015

Palace: Emperor and Empress expecting fourth child
Empress is with child once more

(Ghish, Ghant)- Another royal baby is on the way.

Emperor Nathan IV and Empress Sophia are expected to become parents for a second time, the Imperial Palace announced Saturday.

"The Empress and members of both families are delighted with the news," the palace said. It didn't say when the due date was, although speculation has it placed sometime in December, amid rumors that the Emperor and Empress reconnected during the funeral of Perrin Pahath-Moab nearly a month earlier.

The decision to announce the pregnancy was made when Empress Sophia missed her cycle and decided to undergo a pregnancy test, which came up positive.

The child, if a male, will become third in line to the Obsidian throne, after his older brothers Crown Prince Nathan and Prince John. The couple's first three children, also including Princess Imperial Sara, were born on November 8, 2014.

Prime Minister Nymun Izarbegiratzeak was among those quick to welcome the imperial announcement.

"Many congratulations to the Emperor and Empress," he tweeted. "I'm delighted by the happy news that they're expecting another baby."

This also comes a day after the Sacred Palace announced that Countess Livia Marcella, daughter of Emperor Valerian of Rome, is expecting, which would make that the first child born to her and her husband, Caesar Titus Clemens. Speculation regarding a betrothal between Crown Prince Nathan and Princess Marcia, Valerian's infant daughter, remains rife.

More updates will be released as they become available.
Last edited by Ghant on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:59 pm

FASDA +13.23 D&D 500 +14.16 CI +8.50 Pioneer 2000 +20.67 Crude -+3.25 Gold +3.00

Novitera Day!

Novitera Day Parade in Avantine
Happy Novitera Day! We at Gallows Street want to wish everyone out there a wonderful time on Novitera's most important holiday and 159 anniversary of being an independent nation. As Novitera Day celebrations kick off, major streets are being closed down in every city. We remind our readers to plan ahead when travelling as detours and traffic are to be expected. The masses are taking to the streets in celebration!

For a history review, the United Federation Congress signed the Declaration of Independence on April 5, 1856. On the same day, Jordan Tavish was appointed Supreme Commander of the Free Noviteran Army to lead the fight against the Cornellian Empire. By April 18, 1862, six years later, Imperial troops had completely withdrawn from our country marking Victory Day!

As per tradition, civil codes banning the consumption of alcohol in public areas have been lifted for the next 24 hours nation wide by Federal Directive. While the ban is only in place in certain jurisdictions, the reader should be reminded that the legalization is for today only. We urge our readers to enjoy themselves but stay safe and obey law enforcement officers. Fireworks displays are in planned throughout the day so please report any fires immediately. Have fun out there and be sure to show up at the bars early for the lines are certainly to be out the door.

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:53 am

AMBASSADOR MURDERED IN HUCHENG

Xinzou: Police are currently investigating the assassination of the Allamunic diplomat Edgar Daanylsunn, who was murdered at 11:35 on Monday by an unknown assailant believed to be a possible member of the Black Clans. This is the first major assassination of a offical since the Second Keng Incident in 1987 and as a result has sparked discussion in the Enclave and the Grand Conclave.

Dannylsunn was a notorious anti-black clan activist, often lobbying the Lazinato Autonomous Region's government to violently crackdown on illegal activities which he said "permitated the very fibre of Akai." His claims were often ignored by the Executive Jongtzu Han who was in power for the majority of the time since Dannylsunn was here. He also disapproved of what he called "the state-industrial complex which exists between the State and the Jituans, as they possess enough power together to circumvent justice."

Prince and Regent San Fu Lazin offered his condolences to the Daanylsunns and in his press statement said: "the Akai must find out who's responsible for the vicious and cruel attack on to the ambassador of a fair nation. No such attacks on the stability of order shall be tolerated and all efforts to reignite the brutality of political usage of murder shall be crushed with great effort."

The news comes soon after the Grand Conclave's decision to increase funding to the State Internal Authority by 1.5% percent so they can develop and invest in the future of law enforcement.

Updates shall be given as soon as more information arrives.
ALSO IN THE NEWS

• San Fu raises possibility of regulation of cultural activities.
  • Who are the Black Clans?
  • Cangbai group proposes plan for economical space travel.
  • Sophia of Ghant pregnant again.
  • Editorial: Why the Lazinato model needs to be widely adopted across Akai
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Clerics Unite in III Nations to call for peace!

Postby Late Roman Empire » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:47 am

Chalcedon Gazette,
Manlius Constantius

In stunning news, a collection of major religious leaders in the Empire, Exalted Draconia, and United Valik have issued a joint-proclamation, calling for peace in New Edom and a stand down of all armies and armed forces in the front lines of the civil war. His Eminence, Marcellus I, Patriarch of Constantinople, Grand Master Antipater of the Patrian Order and Faith, the Hierophant (always nameless) of Exalted Draconia, Arintheos, Catholicos of Glauconeum and Metropolitan of the Valikan Orthodox Church, Chief Rabbi Efrem Rabin of the Federated Congregations of United Valik, and Stanislav Cardinal Wociek, Archbishop of Valikgrad, have all issued proclamations of fasting and prayer, including themselves in this act, in the interests of "securing peace through moral force and spiritual leadership."

The Council of Belisarium has not yet formally endorsed this action, but it was noted that a vast majority of the bishops in attendance appeared with the Patriarch in front of St. Irenaeus's Cathedral, essentially endorsing the message of peace and nonviolence advocated by the Patriarch. It has been confirmed that the Patriarch himself fully intends to fast until "peace and brotherhood were more secure among our Edomite brethren. The Queen's message has touched our hearts and we believe that it came from the heart of God. We believe that the time has come for men of God to stand up for justice and peace in this conflict, to do our part to end this war before it gets out of hand."

While the Sacred Palace has declined to comment so far, some have noted that the Patriarch serves at the pleasure of the Augustus and if his message completely displeased him, he might well have already been dismissed.

Perhaps that is an encouraging sign for the future, after all. A sign of hope for peace. The Empire will stand by the right side in the war if conflict resumes, but the Emperor as always is at heart a man of peace.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:39 pm

Breaking: Terrorist Attack in Isidium

(Townsend abruptly cuts off the previous news piece on peacekeeping in New Edom, his expression hardening as he does so)

"Viewers, we interrupt this story with news that there has been an explosion at Bluebrook Station in Isidium. About three minutes ago, a blast tore through Isidium's largest rail terminal, causing part of the underground structure to collapse and touching off a number of fires.

(Live footage from a news chopper is seen overlooking Isidium. Thick black smoke is seen rising from where Bluebrook Station was. Fire trucks and the flashing lights of sirens can be seen on the street, which appears to be cordoned off)

"First responders are working to extinguish the blaze so that rescue efforts can begin. Senior correspondent Ashley Wu is reporting from on the ground. Ashley? What can you tell us?"

(The camera shifts to an attractive Han woman with her hair tied back in a braid. She's wearing a blouse and skirt, might not have been ready for outdoor coverage. Her expression is grim. They are somewhat removed from Bluebrook, with the flashing lights from police, ambulance, and fire trucks clearly visible as well as first responders moving around)

"Mark, the authorities are already referring to this as a terrorist attack. Approximately seven minutes ago, the Isidium Metro Authority was contacted by police and ordered that the station be evacuated as quickly as possible for a potential bomb threat. The blast hit four minutes later."

"What about the commuters and the first responders who were inside the station? Was the evacuation completed?"

Ashley's expression seemed to waver a bit, before composing herself. "Not entirely. Police arrived on scene as fast as they could, and the emergency drills were all carried out correctly. First responders managed to evacuate thousands in the few minutes provided, but this is the city's central train station, Mark. Almost half a million people pass through Bluebrook on a typical day. There were still first responders and a number of commuters inside the station when the explosion hit."

"How many were trapped inside?"

"Estimates range between three to six hundred, but it's difficult to tell. These would have been people who were farthest from the entrances, or first responders who stayed behind to try to get everybody out. Right now firefighters are working to contain the fires so that rescue efforts can be mounted. It's difficult, speed is critical in this situation but they have to be careful not to cause any sort of shifts in the wreckage."

"When can the search start? What sort of preparations are being made?"

"They're working to coordinate everything, Mark. The firefighters are continuing to fight the blaze and assess the station's structural integrity. Search and rescue dogs and their handlers are ready to go in first. Police have closed Second Avenue and EMTs are standing by," Ashley said, a bit stiffly.

"This is...truly a tragedy, Ashley. Is there any indication as to who's responsible?"

"Apparently the police themselves got a tip from higher up. They didn't say from where," she said, now visibly worried.

"All right, thanks Ashley. We will continue coverage of the situation throughout the day. From Puerto Rojas, I'm Mark Townsend."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Schottia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:58 am

SBCNews online...
14-04-2015

Home|Schottia|Belisaria|World|Polotics|Education|Science|Sport|Arts & Culture|History

Referendum Now Unavoidable, says Connell

Amy Connell has been forced to bow, amidst mounting pressure from the public and members of her own party, to offering an in out referendum on Schottia’s continued membership of the BL. Fresh pressure came as it was announced that Novitera have filed to withdraw from the organization, which has come under criticism for its failure to act of significant issues.

The High Council are set to vote tomorrow on a bill which would allow a referendum to go ahead quickly, although it is believed that council vote will pass with little difficulty.

Amy Connell, who has previously been a supporter of the Belisarian League, and campaigned for Schottia’s membership, has been backed into a corner by coalition partners the Workers’ Party. The party led by Isabella Sillvera made it one of their main manifesto pledges to take Schottia out of what they called an unbalanced alliance.

As the news was announced earlier today, Sillvera had this to say:

“It has been the stance of my party from the outset, that this arrangement wasn’t it the best interests of our nation. We have spent the last year trying to resist pressure and unfair competition from foreign companies entering the Schottic market through BL trade deals. We’ve also seen Schottic troops and finances committed to wars which have nothing to do with us. That’s money that could be used to build new hospitals and schools.

It’s just common sense. It’s a financial commitment that we do not need to bare.”

The current Schottic system allows for referendums to be held quickly, with a mandatory minimum two-week period for campaigning. It is however, unlikely that a vote would be held that quickly. If recent opinion polls are anything to go by then it will be closer than some people may have anticipated, with around 58% of people asked, in favour of withdrawing.

Either way, coupled with the news of the Noviteran withdrawal, this is likely to increase pressure on any other nations who may have been undecided.

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:45 pm

FASDA +13.23 D&D 500 +14.16 CI +8.50 Pioneer 2000 +20.67 Crude -+3.25 Gold +3.00

Cornellian Trade Organization and Withdrawal From The Belisarian League

Featured Stories
-New Edom, Can there be peace?
-Terrorist Bombing In Isidium, Adiron
-A Look Into Schottian Socialism
-Allamunnic Ambassador Assassinated

Political commentators, interest groups and politicians across Novitera have been questioning the nation's withdrawal from the Belisarian League (BL). Mostly due to the loss of the beneficial trade agreements as part of the BL charter. The Federation Directorate Panel has been debating this move for some time under pressure from Prime Executor Trask and the Patriot Party. Supporters of withdrawal, led by the Trask Administration have claimed that the BL is simply too costly on Novitera and holds too large of an obligation over the country, one it is far more likely to drag the country into the conflicts of others. At the same time, the National Party has blocked withdrawal favoring the trade agreements. The Patriots claim that the agreement is too vague and there are no proper channels for recourse for infringement of trade rights granted by the BL. Due to this, the trade agreements are simply not worth the United Federation's duties under the mutual defense provisions.

A middle ground was brought forth by the Commonwealthers under Harvey Gentry who proposed the Cornellian Trade Organization. This new trade arrangement will be open to all Cornellian nations, providing a firmer and more specific arrangement in the realm of international trade. Not only that, the CTO has certain Antitrust and Intellectual Property provisions which the government hopes will spur competitive markets and lower costs region wide. Unfortunately, political analysts believe that many nations will scoff at the CTO as a Noviteran capitalist ploy to corner markets. Proponents of the CTO maintain that the Antitrust provisions, if implemented properly will be able to prevent such measures citing the Noviteran market as proof.

"Our Department of Justice Antitrust Division and Secure Trade and Commerce Bureau is actively prosecuting anticompetitive activity occurring within Noviteran borders. Those two agencies have had a long history of going after antitrust violators to create the pro-competitive market we have now. We are happy to show other nations on the fence about this how to detect, investigate and prosecute anticompetitive behavior which the United Federation has successfully done for decades now. The CTO is an organization for a fair and competitive region wide market with a stronger means to enforce its provisions." States one of the CTO drafters Director Harvey Gentry.

"We want to encourage innovation region wide. But at this time there is no central authority to oversee intellectual property rights. Anytime the Noviteran market invents something new we have to file patents across multiple nations to make sure IP rights are protected. This only serves to drive up legal expenses. A central authority could cut those expenses dramatically, passing on the value to the consumer. We want to make these benefits available to all of Cornellia." States another CTO drafter, Director Hillary Clemente.

Prime Executor Trask has claimed that while the United Federation has withdrawn from the BL, his administration is still committed to cooperating with Belisarian nations to better the continent's security especially with the situation in Azurlavai. This is why he has decided to keep Noviteran troops in Shalum to help support operations in Azurlavai against the Revenant. How much longer our forces remain in the South is being decided in talks right now with Chairman Freida Trotsbeck over how Azurlavai and Novitera are to proceed together. This plan can be countermanded by Imperator Tyler Holland of Shalum as Noviteran troops are occupying a Shalumite base at the Imperator's permission and relies on Shalumite support. Trask has went on the record stating that Noviteran troops will have no choice but to withdraw if Holland demands it.

In other news, apparently Novitera is not the only nation to express dissatisfaction with the BL. The United Federation's withdrawal has incited political activism in Schottia as cries for withdrawal spread throughout the island nation. Amy Connell, under fierce pressure from the Schottian Workers' Party are close to maneuvering the government into putting forth a referendum to decide whether Schottia will remain a BL member state. Supporters of withdrawal in the nation have cited the high cost of membership and impeding the government's ability to implement protectionist measures. When asked whether the Schottian withdrawal is to be supported here, Trask answered:

"Noviteran politics and Schottian politics are two vastly different things. But their own movements towards withdrawal say something about just how beneficial the Belisarian League is. The Schottians have their own reasons for leaving and I wish them the best if this is what the people of Schottia choose for themselves. I invite Schottia to join the Cornellian Trade Organization and promise them that under this new arrangement, the United Federation government will regulate any of its firms unfair and anticompetitive practices in Schottia at home."
Last edited by Novitera on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Spartianus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Spartianus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:09 pm

MELECH LAMENTS BELISARIAN BREAKDOWN
14 April 2015

Honorian Palace, Ashur - Representatives of the Mamlaket announced a rare press conference today in order to address announcements by Novitera and Schottia, both concerning leaving the Belisarian League. The Noviteran government outright terminated their membership, conveniently coinciding the event with the announcement of a new international trade bureaucracy they have dubbed the Cornellian Trade Organization. From what has been stated so far by business and political pundits like Harvey Gentry, the organization seems to be geared towards increasing the reach of large businesses, such as those featured so prominently in Noviteran society and government, across the region.

On the other end of the economic spectrum, a coalition of representatives led by Schottia's own Workers' Party succeeded in bringing forth a bill that would call for a referendum on Schottia's involvement in the Belisarian League. However, while free markets were the only thing keeping Novitera interested in the League, Schottia's Workers' Party cites the international free markets as the main problem with international treaty. Workers' Party leader Isabella Sillvera stated she has been against the treaty for a year, claiming that the League allows for unfair competition from foreign companies. Foreign companies that Novitera's Cornellian Trade Organization would seek to strengthen in the international sphere.

Dr. Halim Enwiya of the Melech's Institute for Archaeology and Anthropological Studies calls this the end of an era.

"There is no doubting that when an alliance begins to lose members from both sides of an issue, it cannot hold on much longer. Historically speaking, when power players begin to view an arrangement as a wall to their ambitions rather than a shield to protect themselves with, conflict is inevitable. In the age we live in it is simply impossible to say whether war is the most likely outcome, but with the CPO stretched thin and conflicts reaching their boiling points across Cornellia, it is better to prepare than be left out in a sandstorm."

The Mamlaket itself, on the other hand, seems to be taking a very diplomatic approach to the issue. This stance was well expressed by the Melech himself during his speech to the press as well as during questions answered by Director-General Narsai Sayad. The monarch Ashurnasirpal III directed his attention towards international stability rather than economic or military progress.

"There are those who say now that Belisaria's age of peace is over. But I say to you, Belisarian solidarity will not be ruptured by tariffs or taxes, trade or isolation, peacekeepers or even the boots of foreign invaders. No, we have lived with these things for generations. Peace in Belisaria will be broken when the people of Belisaria, as well as their governments, fail to trust their allies, or when their allies fail to be trustworthy. When rebels in Azurlavai wreck havoc, peace will not end. We can fight rebels. We can win against rebels. Distrust is harder to fight. When the people of Belisaria put their trust in the strength of their economies rather than the good will of their neighbors; that is when peace will cease to exist. Foreign businesses and military expenditure are not our enemies. Discord is our only enemy. Solidarity is our greatest ally."

Representatives of the Mamlaket have stated that in order to address the current crisis, Spartianus will offer further olive branches to its neighbors both in and outside of the League. The Political Security Directorate also advises all citizens of Belisarian states to continue to support international solidarity in the area. Director-General Narsai Sayad's closing statement summed up the Mamlaket's stance on the current international crisis.

"The Mamlaket's primary foreign policy is, as it always has been, to promote cooperation both diplomatically and militarily between Belisarian states. Whether the League is able to facilitate this is yet to be seen. However, it is the firm belief of the Melech that while the League may have floundered in the past in relation to certain civil wars, abandoning it altogether gives up all hope for its future."

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Savvy Novi
Novitera's Most Innovative Magazine

Intellectual Property and the Tech Industry
Interview with Gale Wiyrkomi

Today we have a special guest for interview. You know him as the wealthiest Noviteran and leader of the software titan, Wiyrkomi Corporation. Gale Wiyrkomi rose in the 80s when he lead the charge of the Noviteran bid for entering the emerging tech and personal computer industry. Lai Dai has since risen in direct competition to Wiyrkomi who has also since branched out from selling operating systems. You may know their broad array of products today in the form of a search engine, video game console, tablet, cloud services and various other info tech products. Gale Wiyrkomi, a model Noviteran has a story of humble beginnings. Hailing from the suburbs outside of Palatine, Gale grew up lower class. He worked as a landscaper as a teenager to save money for college. Attending University of Avantine majoring in mathematics, he soon went to perfecting the software which he started working on in his junior year. Savvy Novi is grateful to have such an esteemed entrepreneur and regional business leader with us today.

Q: Mister Wiyrkomi, people look up to you as the model Noviteran. You have a keen mind for business and your products have changed the very framework of life for the modern man. Is there anything you would like to say to your admirers out there?

Wiyrkomi: Yes, thank you for your praise and be sure to buy Wiyrkomi.

He says this to me with a devious grin.

Q: We asked you to this interview to ask about the regional intellectual property reforms proposed by this floating CTO agreement. As leader of the tech industry, how do you think this can change things? Politicians have praised what it could do for tech developers but we want your perspective.

Wiyrkomi: In general, I agree with Director Hillary Clemente. She knows what she's talking about. The woman served as general counsel to Ishukone.

Q: Specifics please, for the layman reader.

Wiyrkomi: Let's put it this way. Say Wiyrkomi is coming out with a new product...a tablet. First, I have to go to our General Counsel and put them to work. They go to our government patent office and do a search. I have to make sure we aren't infringing on anybody else's patented designs. If not, we go ahead and file the patent. There's a waiting period until the government approves it and the company is assured it's design is protected. This takes lawyers, fees and all kinds of other expenses.

Now, Wiyrkomi is an international corporation. I did not grow it to the size it is now just by selling to Noviterans. I have to send our General Counsel to Jedoria, Adiron, Rome or Vyrsar...I have to hire one of their law firms and repeat the process over there. All the while racking up legal expenses and delaying when I can put the product to market. The company has grown to the size where it has the cash reserves now to keep us liquid during the waiting period before the revenue starts coming. But we've had problems with it before and have had to take out loans. It's definitely a problem for tech start-ups who don't have as much cash on hand. Then once our patent is approved in every country we find it worth getting approved in, the tablet can hit the shelves. But...I mean...that's after millions in legal expenses and interest expenses from the loans we've had to take out. Wiyrkomi has to recoup those costs. This is a for profit institution after all.

Q: So you have to charge your customers more?

Wiyrkomi: The company has to charge its customers more correct. One patent filing office and we can significantly drive down our cost of doing business. I guarantee you I can drop the prices for Wiyrkomi products if that is the case. Not only that, I can decrease the time gap between when a product is developed and when its available to the customer.

Q: And this would be a boon to all of the tech industry?

Wiyrkomi: Definitely!

Q: Does it not lower barriers to entry? Are you not worried about that?

Wiyrkomi: Ahhh...well....from my perspective yes, a little. It could bring more competitors to the market due to the reduction in costs. Feisty start-ups who don't have a lot of money looking for a piece of the action. But this is a Noviteran company. We aren't scared of a bit of competition. The Noviteran private sector has been dealing with it for years. Our government practically rolls out the red carpet for foreign firms to come and try to take a bite out of us and we're still standing. From the perspective of society as a whole, it's a good thing. It gives smaller companies a better chance of competing internationally. More firms in the market is a good thing for the consumer. Right now, many just look to be acquired. They may have a good idea but can't get the capital to grow themselves especially due to the costs.

Q: Like how you bought a chunk of Celestial?

Wiyrkomi: Celestial is doing quite well. I'd hardly consider them a start-up anymore. But they are a newer player that's true.

Q: There's been fears that the CTO won't gain traction because the proponents of it are greedy capitalists. Critics like the Ashur Broadcasting Network of Spartianus have claimed that the CTO provisions serve big business like Wiyrkomi the most. What do you say to this?

Wiyrkomi: Nonsense. Capitalists, socialists...both sides of the fence can agree that driving down costs are a good thing. Monopolies, cartels, predatory pricing, collusion and other anticompetitive behaviors are a bad thing. Aside from what I said about giving smaller firms a fighting chance, I think the Antitrust provisions will serve to help curtail big business leveraging their market power to bully smaller firms. It's worked pretty well here. At the same time, Ashur has its point. I would not discount the news network's stance just because its from a less than developed country. Big business will definitely benefit from the CTO too.

Q: You don't like that do you?

Mister Wiyrkomi chuckles at me.

Wiyrkomi: We'll compete anywhere there's a market but the CTO can definitely make it harder for Wiyrkomi to swing its weight around abroad.
Last edited by Novitera on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:20 am, edited 8 times in total.

Macureus
Envoy

Founded: Aug 16, 2009

Membership of the Special Executive Declared

Postby Macureus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 am

New Macureus City Probe,
Alar Darin

The new Special Executive has been faceless since the dissolution of the two separate national governments and formation of this interim governing body for the reunified nation, but now its membership has been confirmed. The following people are members of the new transitional regime: Anu Namin, Chairman of the Special Executive, Dir Datin, Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Idar Calin, Secretary of Information and Communications, Nora Lavin, Secretary of Justice, Aren Dazun, Secretary of Internal Affairs, General Ira Murayawa, Secretary of Military Affairs, Cair Danin, Secretary of Economic Affairs, and Ras Vatin, Secretary of Culture. Of this group, Danin and Vatin were relatively junior officials before, the former having been Chairman of the State Central Bank of the former New Macureus and the latter a recent Mayor of the port city of Lurin. General Ios Melin has been appointed Ambassador to the World Assembly and Delegate to the CPO Peace Council, essentially turning over supreme power entirely to the Special Execution for the transition.

Secretary Calin issued the following statement to the press regarding the policy of the Special Executive of the Socialist State of United Macureus with respect to matters in foreign nations:

As even the current members of the entirely self-appointed Theocratic Republic of New Edom tacitly accepted the legality and legitimacy of the Council of Ministers as appointed under the late Brigadier-General Perrin Pahath-Moab by accepting positions of authority under his Presidency and resigning their former offices, it is illogical and contradictory them to now assert that said Council of Ministers was never legal or lawful, nor a constitutional body, and it is further subversive and inconsistent for them to dispute the legality and supremacy of elections and the constitution authorized by the National Elections Committee appointed by the late President of the Council. Accordingly, the Special Executive recognizes but one national government of the Allied States of New Edom as a legal entity, the Regency of Vice Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser, who was accepted as Regent by the Queen and Heir. It is the lawful and legitimate successor of the previous Interim Government.

Regarding Gloria Regis, it is the position of the Special Executive as the current Premier illegally resumed office without the authorization to do so from the National Government and thereby usurped the lawful powers of the then Military Governor, General Zadok Hesperinus, until such time as martial-law is formally lifted and the Premier reappointed by the Regency of the Allied States of New Edom, neither the so-called Premier, nor her Council of Ministers, nor the Feminist Militia, are to be regarded as legal and duly constituted authorities in the Protectorate of Gloria Regis. Secession by Gloria Regis from the Allied States of New Edom shall not be considered legal nor shall it be recognized by the Special Executive until such time as it is recognized by the Regency.

With respect to the Hemar Islands, the Special Executive is pleased to formally recognize that they are a Protectorate of the High Kingdom of Ossoria. Accordingly, said Protectorate shall be designated and regarded as Ossorian soil and integral territory, regardless of whatever position other nations may take concerning it.

With respect to Arcologia, it is the proposal of the Special Executive that the Union of Urdnotia, Imperium of Arbites Materia, and Republic of Adiron should partition the stateless territory and annex their own distinct zones of the same.

This last statement, while surprising, reveals that the Special Executive is not comfortable with the legal limbo of Arcologia and would prefer to see it annexed to the three nations of Ceti. This would stabilized and resolve the future status of the people and territory of Arcologia. No statements regarding Dengali, Azurlavai, or any other contentious issues have been issued or declared as of this time.
Socially quite liberal, economically a bit more authoritarian. Not a fan of organized religion or traditional family values or the present social order. You've been warned.
"Audacity, audacity, this day, audacity, forever audacity!" - Georges Danton
"It is with regret that we pronounce the fatal truth. Louis must die so that France may live." - Maximilien Robespierre
"I did not seize the crown. I found it in the gutter and picked it up." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm

DASH
Internet News Media

A Working Monarch

A monarch who works, there's not something you see everyday. You've all seen the news of Queen Mara of New Edom being found working in an aquaponics facility in Harbourtown unbeknownst to the Regency government of Prince Elijah Shalmaneser for a time. Now any good Noviteran would scoff at an individual who puts a noble title in front of their name. To us it invokes words like entitlement, undeserving and perhaps even lazy. Now Mara can add her name to the list of monarchs that are actually useful by getting their ass to work. By work I mean a real job that takes skill, effort and long hours of labor. It takes more than just appearing pretty on cameras and attending social events. That's something a Noviteran can appreciate, something we can respect. The staff here at DASH ran poll on our website where readers can vote for the best monarch in Cornellia. Queen Mara was placed there along with several other regional monarchs. Unsurprisingly, Queen Mara has won landslide approval among thousands and this is not just in Novitera. Popularity for New Edom's Queen has spiked as well in the troubled nation. To the rest of Cornellia's throne sitting, scepter wielding, crown wearing individuals, there's an example you can follow! Get a real damn job.
Last edited by Novitera on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gylias
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gylias » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:15 am

THE REPUBLIC

Guest editorial: Does CTO stand for "Copyright Trampling Organisation"?

Editorial by Varesak Nyndael
18 April 2015

The recent announcement of Novitera's exit from the BL and instead set up a proposed CTO has been greeted with understandable confusion and curiosity. There are plenty of things to digest about the proposal, and the agreement will likely be dissected to death within and without, but there is one area I would like to register my skepticism about.

I am a musician. Much of my music uses sampling as a key element. I've had some opportunities to meet the musicians I've sampled from, which I am grateful for; the fact that they were receptive to my work was a great help as well. The fact is, however, I am only able to do what I love because of Gylias' copyright laws. Frankly, I would never have been able to officially release an album like Cockatoo if I was a Ghantish musician. And I don't mean that as a slight against Ghantish musicians, simply a statement that I would've been vivisected in court if I attempted to release it anything other than unofficially. Call me old-fashioned, but I like the certain romance of officially releasing music and seeing the response it gets from people, over putting out practically in secret and hoping it spreads like contraband.

It's why it gives me pause when I read the proposal for the CTO and I notice that Article 10, section 3, reads, "The standards for intellectual property filing will be those set forth by United Federation law (same as US law) by default. ", with additional paragraphs that state, "Signatories to Article 10 may make amendments to these standards by two-thirds approval of all signatory nations to Article 10." and "All and only signatory nations to Article 10 may propose amendments to intellectual property filing standards."

Article 10 is an auxiliary agreement so it can only be adopted by states that would explicitly choose to do so after having agreed to the bulk of the CTO proposal. But considering the vast gulf between Gylian and Noviteran copyright law, I don't believe it's that far-fetched to express caution about something that could be used to wreck the environment that allows me to be a musician.

Such matters may come second-hand for discussions between fellow musicians, so I must digress for a second to explain the mechanics for the benefit of readers not already in the know. Gylias' copyright law starts from the principle of finding a good balance between protecting the rights of creators (especially defending them against exploitation), and protecting the public good (especially incentivising progress, innovation, and the growth of an environment in which a vibrant culture can flourish). The application of the law starts from strict guidelines: copyright is automatically and freely granted for 12 years after the publication of a work, following which creators can apply for extensions of 12, 6, 6 and 10 years, respectively, each for a certain cost, and after 46 years in total any protection completely ends and it enters the public domain. These are merely guidelines - in practice, copyright is implemented using a sliding scale, taking into account factors such as personal financial situation and income to adjust lengths and renewal costs.

Thus, Gylias simultaneously has legislation that guarantees one copyright law for all, and employs room to manoeuvre in practice, according to the principle that the gigantic multinational media empire does not have the same needs as the local self-distributed artist. To this we can add measures such as strong protection for fair use, limits on statutory damages for copyright infringement, a severe standard of proof for accusations of copyright infringement and punishments for false claims, and the use of multiple and flexible public copyright licenses. And, most importantly from my standpoint, the compulsory mechanical license that is in effect for both cover versions and sampling. I can cover a song from anyone else, or sample a song from anyone else, without needing their permission, as long as I pay them a fixed royalty rate for each copy I sell of either the cover, or the song I've made that includes the sample. (I still like to contact the creators in advance to tell them about the sampling, and if possible play it to them, because it's a nice thing to do.) And the rules are so clear and universal that it doesn't leave an opening for legal shenanigans or ridiculous clearance fees of the kind that stifle creativity in other countries.

By contrast, let's look for a second at the Noviteran system. It is based on protecting the rights of the author exclusively, and doesn't receive nearly as much attention even by the standards of the Noviteran government compared to patents, which are given priorities. Its copyright protection lasts for the lifetime of the author plus 70 years. And it does not have any framework for samples or remixes, instead throwing it at the artists' feet for them to negotiate the matter. We can argue all day about whether this is a better incentive for creativity or not (and I should hope to never encounter the situation where the only incentive one has to be creative is the possibility of material reward; it is an overly narrow and rather sad perspective on one of our best impulses as human beings), but the fact is, the public good does not factor into the Noviteran system at all, except if there are patents involved.

I can understand the idea of a lifetime protection, and indeed there have been cases in our history where the regulators involved saw it fit to allow what ultimately amounted to such for artists who needed it. But what kind of dogmatic pigheadedness drives one to consider 70 years after an artist's death to be a good term for copyright? By that point, there is no author left to protect the rights of; there is just rent-seeking, and the exploitation of their work by whoever was left in control of it. (The cesspool that can be the music industry elsewhere and its gouging of fans with expensive reissues hardly needs elaborating on here.) What incentive is there for innovation, if one could presumably just arrive to success with a Rainbow Moon and then spend the rest of their life living off that one success? What works would we be deprived of in a system that gives all power to grant permission for sampling and remixing to the original creators, with no rules in place to prevent them from demanding payment up the nose during negotiations for sample clearance? Gylias is already recognised for having a vibrant culture without any barriers to access (the success of musicians like Sophie Lally testifying to that), so I shudder to think what works we would be deprived of artistically and creatively in a system that pushes towards culture as a pastime for those rich enough to afford it, instead of for everyone.

Gale Wiyrkomi deserves at least some mild credit for being so honest about the fact that big business will benefit from the CTO. The fundamental question that should accompany any discussion about the CTO is whether everybody else would benefit equally, or be forced to put up with whatever is good for big business that is also terrible for the rest.
Last edited by Gylias on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:41 pm

DASH
Internet News Media

Brandy and Lila Show

This is an internet news channel available to all viewers on video hosting sites such as Sutorimu and the DASH official website. The camera view begins with two individuals, pretty females in their early 30s who are sitting in what appears to be the living room of a sunlit house. Both are in casual dress wearing well fitting jeans and deep cut t-shirts.

“Welcome back to the Brandy and Lila show! I’m Brandy.” Says the black haired woman with a smile.

“And I’m Lila. Today we’re discussing this popular editorial written on a Gylian newspaper by one Varesak Nyndael. We have posted a link in the description for viewers to go read the article. Now Mr. Nyndael claims that Noviteran Copyright Law with its long terms rights it bestows on the author stifles creativity.” The blonde woman says with much skepticism.

“He also goes on to state how our legal framework presents an obstacle to his ability to sample and remix the work of other artists.” Brandy adds.

The specific sections of Nyndael’s article are displayed highlighted that support Brandy’s claim.

“I’m unfamiliar with the intricacies of our copyright law Brandy. Is there anywhere that says Noviterans cannot creatively produce their own original works since they cannot rip off others?” Asked Lila.

“I’m not an attorney but I’m pretty sure it does not. Something Mister Nyndael is allowed to do in both Novitera and Gylias. I don’t understand how a system that allows everybody to so easily make derivatives and outright copies of the works of others to be promoting creativity.” Brandy states confidently.

“The Noviteran market is consistently producing some of the region’s most popular and best music, television shows, video games, movies and novels. I’d hardly call this an environment that chokes creativity. Now, let’s look at Mister Nyndael’s challenges to using material reward as an incentive. Entertainment is an industry. One that provides jobs and income to wide array of individuals, not just the artist. But if the artist is just in it for the money, isn’t that their right?” Asked Lila.

“Doesn’t matter. If there’s an artist out there who solely wants his work to be appreciated by a broad audience, copy or sample..."

Brandy makes a quotation gesture.

"...the works of others like Mister Nyndael does, they are welcome to do so and have the tools to do it. That avenue is perfectly open in Novitera and many other countries. Media corporations and record labels hardly have a monopoly on mass media anymore. I’ve seen many talented musicians covering and remixing the works of others on sites like Sutorimu. With modern technology in the digital age there’s plenty of ways for musicians and artists to put their works out there.” Brandy says happily.

“I hope Mister Nyndael is not worried he can’t keep sampling, covering and remixing other people’s creative works. Of course he can and to a broad audience too. He just can’t make money off it without negotiating a deal with the author. But he doesn’t care about that anyways. To him, it’s about doing what he loves!” Lila states in a sarcastic bubbly manner.

“Frankly, I do not know what Mister Nyndael is going on about in regards to the public good.”

The view shows the lines of the article highlighted.

“Artistic works are not some critical technology though they are important. That is why our laws protect the rights of the artist to craft something unique and attributable to them. Where is the incentive if everyone can just rip off your hard work in a few years time? Collecting rents and exploiting their work is their right. But this hardly forecloses the market in the entertainment industry. Such things have a ceiling. There’s always an army of artists and producers at the gates who can and will eventually come up with something better if history serves as an example! In Novitera, media has to struggle to keep pace like everyone else lest they get left behind trying to pawn off their same old hit single over and over.” Exclaiming Brandy hysterically. “Anyways, I can’t understand in what world the Gylian model encourages more creativity. Sounds like the laws of Gylias cultivates a dozen copycats for every true real artist out there.”

“I think Mister Nyndael’s statements speak for themselves. What he’s truly frightened of is losing his ability to cash in on other artist’s music. We aren't fooled Mister Nyndael. The laws in your country may allow you to leech off success that isn't yours. We'll stick to real creativity here.” Lila says condescendingly.

Music plays as the camera cuts to scenes displaying Noviteran popular culture then fades away.
Last edited by Novitera on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:54 pm

headlines | vyrsar | region | sports | tech | lifestyle | business | travel | environment

Courts Remain Silent and Idle on 'Ethnic Prostitution' Scandal

Prostitution has been an industry long targeted in Vyrsar, particularly by the more conservative government parties, it has remained a legal and completely regulated industry. While street prostitution remains illegal, organised prostitution is not. Most challenges against it have been made on the grounds of morality- a concern that was definitively put to an end by the National Supreme Court in 1981, where the precedent was set that the government would not regulate the industry based on religiously-based morality.

In the last decade, it has been targeted not for its morality, but for its questionable practices. A trend known as 'Ethnic Prostitution' has been much criticised, and calls for the courts to outlaw it have fallen on deaf ears. What is the practice being called 'Ethnic Prostitution'?

"The term 'Ethnic Prostitution' refers to the ability of clients to hire working girls based on the background of the client, and the background of the girl. For example, an Adiran or Noviteran client would not be allowed to hire a German girl, at the discretion of the owner of the establishment, simply because that specific client is not themselves of the same background," says attorney Jonas Meier, who has a long record of protecting the legal rights of legal prostitutes in Vyrsar. "While technically illegal, the practice is extremely widespread and almost an unspoken rule within the prostitution industry."

Since the 1970s, the vast majority of working girls in the industry in Vyrsar come from Nekulturnyan, Othmani, or other Northern Acheronian refugees. That 'vast majority' hit 94% in 2008, a decade after the end of the War of 1998 after which over a million Nekulturnyan refugees flocked over the border to escape the rapidly deteriorating situation in their homeland. Today, that number has risen to 98%. Out of that 98%, German working girls remain the most expensive, most cared for, and the most well paid of the demographic.

"Studies have long determined that the practice stems almost purely from tradition. Not from a tradition that says that the specific Vyrsarian German ethnic group is superior to others, but a tradition that has long taught that 'the bloodline should remain pure', so to speak. It is a prevalent theme throughout Vyrsarian society and history, from sports to everyday street culture, where Vyrsarian citizens not of Vyrsarian German birth are not regarded as really Vyrsarian even though that individual may have grown up in this nation their entire life," says acclaimed historian Viktor Schauble.

According to Schauble, though business or legal discrimination on ethnic or racial lines are illegal under the Vyrsarian Constitution, the government has long turned an eye to questionable practices that are similar to 'Ethnic Prostitution'. And, according to Meier, the practice is not likely to be challenged by the legal system.

"The rule of keeping German working girls reserved for wealthy, German clients is not likely to change simply because the concept of reserving these girls for wealthy clients of the same background is so deeply embedded, and the amount of other working girls so plentiful, that it is not necessary to."

"It's just another example of the long-standing Vyrsarian ethos of keeping what is Vyrsarian for Vyrsarians," says Schauble. "I suppose on could say that they don't like to share."

by Thomas Reus
18. April 2015

✎ 123 Comments
(Read All Comments)

✓ 1,019
⌘ Share this Story
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."
-ESL
-This Nation does not represent my IRL views

Under New Management Since July 2014

Macureus
Envoy

Founded: Aug 16, 2009

Mixed results in Congressional Elections!

Postby Macureus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:43 am

United Macureus City Probe,
Alar Darin

The results of the first general elections in Macurean history have been what one member of the Special Executive frankly called, "mixed." While the pro-matriarchy Faith and Family Party did a surprisingly strong 13% of the popular vote, making them actually the third-largest party in the new Congress of People's Deputies, they remained a distinct minority next to the vast majority of other parties, led by the Progressive Party, which received 19% of the vote, a simple plurality. Furthermore, aside from the New Feminist Party, which took 10% of the vote with its more modern, egalitarian approach to feminism and embrace of greater personal freedom, they have no potential coalition partners with whom to work toward forming a government.

By contrast, the Communist Party under Nora Lavin took 11% for its democratic socialist program, while the Intellectual Meritocracy Party claimed 15%, making it the second-largest in the reunified nation. The pro-business Liberation Party and pro-Imperium, Magi-led Justice Party each claimed 9% of the vote for strong second-tier showings. The Fascist Party did even better at 11% of the vote, tying the Communists. Dead in the vote tally was the Nietzschean Nihilist Party, which advocated rule by an "Overman", a more evolved, presumably male commander-legislator based on the ideas expressed in the writings of Friedrich Nietzsche and which advocated the relegation of women to second-class status, the formation of a new Cornellian Union that would be ruled by this Overman, the legalization of slavery, and the abolition of organized religion. It received roughly 3% of the vote.

It is not yet clear what sort of government can or will be possible when the new Congress of People's Deputies, some 600 deputies, convenes on 1 May, 2015, but one thing is clear. The Macurean People have spoken, and they've shown a wide array of different views. Will any of them be strong enough to survive and what will the People say next time around? In the meantime, those who deny the legitimacy of reunion only reveal their ignorance now. The People have approved it and have validated these elections by casting their ballots. The new Congress is sure to be a force worth noting and the Special Executive will have to secure its support, as will any future governments.

For better or for worse, the final say in Macurean politics now lies with the People. The masses, not some religious or intellectual elite, will determine our national fate. The past is dead. Long live the future.
Socially quite liberal, economically a bit more authoritarian. Not a fan of organized religion or traditional family values or the present social order. You've been warned.
"Audacity, audacity, this day, audacity, forever audacity!" - Georges Danton
"It is with regret that we pronounce the fatal truth. Louis must die so that France may live." - Maximilien Robespierre
"I did not seize the crown. I found it in the gutter and picked it up." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:18 pm

DASH
Internet News Media

Wiyrkomi Foundation Sends Food To New Edom

The Wiyrkomi Foundation has been involved in international philanthropy before. However most of the organization's proceeds which are in the billions go to benefiting Noviterans at home. The foundation, run by Gale Wiyrkomi and his wife Pauline are mostly involved with scholarships to aspiring students and grants to research projects. They have helped out with a few budget shortages for public schools across the nations as well. It came as a shock that the Wiyrkomi Foundation is pledging as high as 45 million UFD to alleviate food shortages in the city of Saint Joseph, New Edom where UF troops are stationed as part of the CPO mission.

"The Wiyrkomi Foundation has always been more about giving those with the talent a fighting chance. I want to send people to college who are having trouble paying the cost. It was something I struggled with going to Avantine U. Though they certainly can't be worrying about their education if they're going hungry. Novitera is part of the CPO mission so I thought this a good opportunity to support our efforts as much as New Edom." Mister Wiyrkomi has stated.

A small price to pay for one of the region's wealthiest men and wealthiest Noviteran. With a net worth estimated in the billions, Gale and Pauline Wiyrkomi have been very active in charitable pursuits. Outside of running the well known Wiyrkomi Corporation, the Wiyrkomi Foundation gets a lot of direct attention from Gale as well.The Foundation's last large donation was a 170 million UFD grant to various Noviteran universities for pharmaceutical research.

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shalum » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Shalumite News Network

Shalumite Armed Forces Opens Military Installation in Imanalov' Territory

-Gebirgsjäger Troops from the 32nd Infantry Regiment Near the City of Annu

Reported by: Sarah Abrams

Approximately three months ago, the Democratic States of Shalum and the Military Protectorate of Nalaya formally aligned in the capital city of Sevan, declaring their intentions of mutual defense and trade. It was at this meeting of military, economic, and world leaders that it was decided that the respective nations would open military installations in each other's homelands as a sign of both future cooperation, and that they fully intended to aid one another if a time of crisis arose. The Nalayans were the first to act, deploying a brigade sized unit to the military district on the southern perimeter of Aragon. However, the Shalumite army was not far behind.

Earlier today, military officials confirmed that soldiers from the 32nd and 33rd Mountain Infantry regiments arrived at the city of Annu, where the Shalumite base is to be located. This will bring the total number of permanent Shalumite forces stationed in Nalaya to four-thousand, making it the largest external deployment of the Shalumite armed forces, following the withdrawal of marines from New Edom.

In Other News:
-Shalumite Navy Orders (120) F-39 Ravens from Ossoria and Adiron

-Shalumite Land Army Approves Additional Upgrades to Gladiator Main Battle Tank System

-Joint Shalumite/Cacertian Wargames continue Near the City of Dresden

-Count Lucas Phelps Assumes Post as new Ambassador to Allamunnic States
Last edited by Shalum on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 pm

New Edomite National News Report

Opening bars of Pictures at an Exhibition play as a globe spins with pins popping up on various points of the world. Split screen images of natural disasters, celebrations, military actions, elections, royal ceremonies, celebrity events are showin, occasionally with New Edomite news anchors talking about them, and then fades to a news desk.

A raven haired woman with olive skin, dark brown eyes with a rosebud mouth, a slim nose and a statuesque figure sat behind a news desk with the New Edomite flag imposed over a silhouette map of the Allied States of New Edom behind her. “Good evening,” she said, looking up with a smile. It was clear that above the waist at least she wore nothing but a gold cross on a chain, though her image was pixelated for those nations censoring such an appearance. “I’m Lavinia Tuller, and this is a NENN economic affairs report.

"While there are still fears on the part of investors and financial leaders in the nation and among trading partners about the civil war, Count Thomas Lalery and dr. Amon Ashren have announced what people are calling a bold plan...for the future."

Images show Count Lalery and Dr. Ashren leaving the Ministry of Finance building clattering down the polished granite steps with briefcases in hand while aides and security surround them, being saluted by a green jacketed billed cap wearing driver before getting into a black Chaika. Voice over by Michael Diamond, a field correspondent.

"Lavinia, today both Ministers left a meeting with regional representatives from the loyal provinces and exiled leaders from the rebel provinces to discuss a plan to make use of funds allocated by the Pahath-Moab government for educational reform. While there is currently no sitting legislature a general agreement by the representatives was persuaded over three days of discussion to support this measure which is being called the University Restructuring Measure, which calls for 1.87 billion coppers to be spent on rebuilding Fineberg University. The basis for this reform is a deal being offered by Legion University which would partner Fineberg University with the teaching systems, building plans and information used by the international university."

"We've been using programs from other nations before--Nui-Ta, Lamoni and so on," explained Dr. Ashren, "But what we'll be doing now is a genuine educational reform where we will make use of business studies, science studies, policy development and medical studies to launch ourselves into the future. Fineberg University is only the beginning."

Lavinia Tuller said with a smile, "And this is all very exciting, but some are wondering if this money might be better spent elsewhere--on improving our national defense, for instance. According to officials at the Ministry of Finance, however, the national defense budget is strained and arguably the university's programs in national and international policy may be as much of a defense as new air defense systems--which Finance officials claim we don't need. There will be future discussion of this, when later tonight we have several retired officials to discuss who may be right. One thing is for certain though: true to his promise, the Finance Minister, Count Lalery, has future ever present in his mind. We'll be back after these message...
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 pm

Duchess Condemns Attempted Coup In New Othman, Declares Open Support for Othmani Republic

STRANA MECHTY - In a series of harsh attacks against the self anointed Prince Selim "Khalifa" of New Othman, Duchess Luminita Vianu harshly condemned the attempted coup by the Islamist forces and vowed unyielding support for the Republican Government under Premier Tufan and President Erdem.

"This is a blatant violation of the Treaty of Beaulieu, and an assault upon the foundations of democracy and self determination. Under no circumstances should the nations of Cornellia allow such a regime to come to power, less the will of tyrants be allowed function unmolested."

"New Othman's legacy has been one of trouble in recent years, but efforts were underway to set the Republic on the path towards a functioning modern democracy. Now those efforts have been put in jeopardy, and the forces of oppression and malevolence are on the march against a war weary people simply trying to rebuild their lives. How any nation, nay, any human being stand by and watch these crimes go unpunished staggers the mind. New Othman has come too far to let it fall into the hands of slave-holding, tyrannical theocracy."

"The Confederation of Jedoria can under no circumstances stand by while democracy and basic human rights are being punished for their mere existence, especially in a realm where the people have been denied them for so long, and once have received them, have them torn away once more. I call upon those regional actors who stand for democracy and the protection of the fundamental, undeniable rights of mankind, to take a united stand against those who would threaten them."

The Duchess went to pledge complete support for the Republican elements in New Othman, explicitly mentioning military support. "Some causes are worth fighting for. Some are even worth dying for. The right of the people to live their lives as they see fit is one of them." The Duchess said bluntly.

Rumors are abound that elements of the Armed Forces of the Jedorian Confederation have been put on alert, possibly in preparation for mobilization.
Last edited by Jedoria on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:48 pm

DASH
Internet News Media

Trask Administration Stands With Vianu

Cassandra Donal, Chief of Staff for the Trask Administration has echoed the Prime Executor's sentiments supporting Duchess Vianu and the Othmani Republican government. The Trask Administration has long been criticized by National Party pundits for extending the country's resources in foreign affairs starting with participation in the CPO mission to Peregrino then New Edom. While widespread support remains for operations in Azurlavai, Trask and the Patriot Party are likely to face staunch opposition to further aggressive foreign policies. Especially anything that involves the use of Novitera's military assets.

"The Trask Administration stands behind Vianu's words. A regime that is so anathema to the ideals of democracy and civil rights must be opposed." Stated Cassandra Donal.

There are signs of Jedorian military mobilization in the south. When asked whether the government would support Jedoria in military action she answered, "We cannot say at this time as the executive does not have control of the military. That is up to Director Silas Clayton, who is currently acting commander in chief for the time being. The Trask Administration is doing what it can to secure the votes needed to reverse the Directorate Override. National and Commonwealth Party members who pushed the Override through the FDP need to understand that Novitera has to duty to ensure regional stability. Turmoil such as that happening in New Edom, Peregrino and New Othman impacts our own economy and national security. To Duchess Vianu, Preimer Tufan and President Erdem, know we are doing all we can to be in a position to help."
Last edited by Novitera on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents