NATION

PASSWORD

The Red Flags Rise (Revised: Please Sign up OOC )

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Battle of 9th Street, Crozier District, Fineberg

Dale glared at Caleb; he was just about to go, when suddenly the Angelan peacekeeper leader stopped him again. He had to force himself out of combat mode to think.

"We going Sergeant?" snapped the tail end soldier.

"Shut up." Dale tried not to cough at the smoke, and muffled the nose with his fist. "Alright, you can tag along; if you see civvies in there, you can haul them out, if they'll come. Shoot in the same direction as the rest of us and don't get in the way. Move out, move out!" he motioned, and the ETC militiamen were rushing across through the purple and green smoke and across the ruined road, dodging from vehicle to vehicle, hiding briefly behind an overturned half burned bus that lay before the apartment; smoke or no smoke the Monarchists were laying down a lot of suppressing fire to keep the street clear. Thanks to the Angelans, Dale thought, they knew where they were. There was no hope for it.

A brief flash of his life before all this; he was a factory worker, damn it. All he'd wanted was to make manager and have a house of his own, maybe be an Elder Brother one day and read prayers with his children. Oh well. Screw it. "Come on, give me some covering fire. Orin, Scant, Prand, with me!"

They screamed wordlessly as they ran again, right for the building itself. Scant had a demo charge because the Monarchists had, behind a row of concrete blocks, a concertina of razor wire stretching across the whole building. They crouched like rats by the concrete blocks, dust and chips flying as the Monarchists aimed down for them; Scant had the charge ready and then was screaming, writhing like a stuck pig on the ground; Dale was horrified to see a huge dark spread on his left leg where he had been hit. "Medic!" he shouted. The smoke wreathed around them, and all was madness. "Prand, set that charge!" he shouted again as he cautiously stuck his head up. There was the doorway--all blocked with debris, even though they'd blown the doorway open. A mess of shopping carts, old tires, junk and rubbish and strung together with more razor wire. How the hell were they going to get in?

"RTO, on me!" he shouted as the rest of the platoon was hunch-running across. "Get me the Company CP!"

9th Street

Tim and Catalina had been talking earlier. There was a lot of firing going on, and there had been a lot to do. At a neighborhood meeting at the local church worried talk had begun about how to make sure the children had school, fresh or at least enough food, and what to do about the areas where power had gone down. A group of volunteers who had training in electrical engineering would work on shunting in power from a station that was active in a nearby district; apparently the power station had been taken over by Monarchist militia who were using it. But then someone had heard that there were Mount Angel peacekeepers in the area! Catalina had insisted that they go.

Their talk, their private one, had been about the women in the grocery store. Catalina seemed brittle, nervous. "We have to go, Tim. I know it's dangerous--but we have to. We can't stay here. I heard that a few blocks away a bunch of guys got drafted into labour for the Monarchists. We have to leave." There was tension written all over her body. "And we need to find some clothes or something, it's not safe."

"Listen, almost everyone in this area is a law abiding citizen. They were probably wives of Monarchist reservists or something," said Tim soothingly. "But you're right, we need to go. Let's get packed up, get some things and start moving."

Just one bag each, because they had two little ones to deal with; they were young enough that their short legs would get tired quickly, and they might be scared, need to be moved fast. So one backpack for Tim, the suitcase that could be pulled for Catalina, and that had the non-essentials in it; the backpack had stuff that they couldn't do without, including enough food and clean water for two days at least. They compromised; mantles for each of them and for the kids.

Out on the street, several other families and individuals were gathering as well; they took vehicles because they could put more in them, and had a bunch of white flags on them. Tim had a shortwave radio with him and tried to find a military channel that was open, broadcasting: "We are a convoy of civilians heading out from the 8th Avenue and 10th street block. We have white flags on our vehicles! Do not shoot at us! We are unarmed and have children with us!"

Tim held Catalina's hand. They were in this together. He would do his best for her and the kids, even though last night had been one of the most painful of his life, ironically. They had lain in bed after a tense day, a tense night, and even though they had with some enjoyment made love, she had finally admitted, "I love you, but I'm not in love with you."
Neither of them knew what to do after that but survive. She had little to say. Even lying beside her while they were both naked, she had an impenetrable armour around her. But he would do his best for her anyway. As the van they were sharing with the Remigios family trundled along in the convoy of Ladas and other rather clunky vehicles, they could hear the sounds of action getting louder. Up ahead though was that big old ugly New Day era apartment block, wreathed in smoke, and it sounded like the Battle of the Century to the people in their vehicles. Around the other buildings nearest it they could see groups of Monarchist soldiers crouching behind them, waiting. A group of them advanced rapidly on the slowing convoy.

"Oh shit," said Mr. Remigios, paling and starting to turn the van around.

"Stop! Slow down and stop!" shouted one of the Monarchist soldiers. "Turn the engine off!" he gestured and yelled at the same time.

Tim took a deep breath; he saw the round huge eyes of the littles in his and Catalina's lap, and he had never felt so helpless in his life. What could he do? Remegios had no choice but to turn the key off and lift his hands from the wheel.
Last edited by New Edom on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Mount Angel
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Angel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:33 pm

The "Cookish Stadium," Fineburg

Ionion Marley gave a swift nod. "All right," he said. "We'll get on it - most of it." The Ninianite abbot shook his head slowly. "I don't know how possible it's going to be to get people out of the city. There's fighting all around, or very soon will be. But I'll do what I can on the rest of this." Turning, Ionion snatched a radio from his jacket pocket and began speaking rapidly. And soon enough, the ponderous machinery of the Angelan aid mission ground into action.

Dozens of qualified architects from the Order of Saint Thomas set to swarming about the walls of the stadium, waving and gesturing, taking measurements and checking angles. Huge steel I-beams were ferried from the Angelan airfield and set up as crude struts against the walls of the stadium to stave off collapse; crumbling areas were draped in the sort of metal mesh nets that were used to prevent rockslides onto mountain roads. In one area, which was leaning alarmingly to the side, the Angelans cleared an area of tents and then simply collapsed the tottering wall in a controlled fashion, so that no one got hurt. Trucks started hauling away the rubble to use to shore up more salvageable walls elsewhere. Overhead, the Angelan helicopters scanned for the sources of the indirect fire with all the sensors at their disposal. Rules of engagement allowed them to return fire directed at civilians once a warning had been given; if the Michaelite pilots had anything to say in the matter, the mortar rounds falling around the stadium were soon to become a highly unprofitable policy.

Meanwhile, Angelan doctors poured into the camp. Claudia Lettiere waved rapidly to Joshua Koch, as the two dropped to their knees beside a young man with severe burns along his left arm, chest, and neck. Claudia recognized the damage as done by flaming gasoline; he must have been near a car when the fuel tank went up. Refusing to allow herself to think - look, but don't see; do, but don't feel - Claudia started barking out orders. "I need a saline solution drip for fluid resuscitation, I need morphine, and I need a debridement solution to get the dead tissue off." Josh, silently, started setting up a collapsible IV stand. There was a rumble as an LVS truck stopped at the front of the stadium and crates of styrofoam-packed medical supplies were muscled off, broken open, and the contents dispensed to Cookish and Angelan doctors as fast as the Thomists could get the bags and bottles out of the containers. Claudia snapped open her bag and pulled out a scalpel and a vial of alcohol. "This is going to need a skin graft," she told Josh, "but first he needs an escharotomy around that arm, or he's going to lose it from the elbow down." Claudia plunged the blade into the alcohol, and took a deep breath. "All right," the Lukan murmured. "Time to do what we came here for."

Meanwhile, Marie Hanson found herself arraigned by Prior Stephen Pisano, who grabbed her by the arm, thrust a leather-bound Angelan prayer book into her hands, and announced: "Marie, darling, I have a terrible job for you, but I know you'll do it well. Now, as you know, this is a Christian country, and people here value the services of the clergy. I'm afraid that many poor folk have died in this stadium, and of those, many have never had the last rites said above them. You are a missionary, and so you must do what domestic clergy cannot."

Marie stared for a moment. I've never even seen a dead body. And then a strange, peaceful calm came over her, and she nodded. "Yes. Of course, Father Prior."

Stephen gave a small, proud smile. "You fine lass," he said thickly. "Go. They keep the bodies over there." And with that, Marie tucked the prayer book under her arm, and strode off amidst the tents to do what she could for the dead.

At around this time, the first trucks began moving back into the stadium from the Crozier district, carrying the civilians evacuated by the Angelans from the fighting there. Ionion Marley pushed his way through the press back to Soymer. "Doctor, I hate to bother you, but we need to get ready for another influx of refugees; peacekeepers are trying to get people out of the Crozier and Chasuble districts, where the fighting is still too intense for civilians either to leave without help, or to stay without injury. A lot of those people will be able to leave the stadium on their own and stay with family elsewhere in the city, but for those with no place to go, we're going to need to make accommodations. We're starting to put up prefabs outside the stadium but inside the Michaelite perimeter to handle any overflow, but your folks should get ready for a lot more people who need help." Marley ran a hand over his long, pale, sweaty face. "The Cookish ambassador was told this was going to happen, so I assume you got the word; this is just to let you know that the first refugees from Crozier are being ferried back now, so we're looking at a hectic next twenty-four hours."
The Dominion of Mount Angel: A semi-democratic progressive Christian theocracy.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Betharan Palace

The Attorney-General, her senior staff, Undersecretary Fish, Minister Kohath, General Harcourt, General Barak, and a number of officials from the Ministries of Health, Transport, Education and the office of the Ethnarch of Fineberg were present at a meeting. In addition officials from the Judiciary and Church were there. The Church officials were a sharp contrast because they were all wearing official garments of the clergy or the judiciary; Gabrielle Balaam for example wore her robes of office. Bishop Zecharias wore a purple and white robe.

"Skyfarms will keep producing, Madame Attorney-General," said the Ethnarch, having been fully briefed by his own officials previously. His credentials were very solid; he had been arrested by the Monarchists shortly after Rand took power. "However we'll have to introduce rationing as per the War Measures Plan that Mr. Crowl had prepared. All other foods that get regularly delivered unfortunately come out of the rest of Bara. We can start shipping in stuff from Gloria Regis to a greater extent though. I was talking with the President's office and they guaranteed that they can supply weekly deliveries."

"Yes, that will mean that we have to have most of Task Force Odysseus ready to protect those shipments," pointed out General Barak. "But it can't be helped. We're better off than some I guess."

"How much rationing are we talking about?" said Offenbach, the Undersecretary for the region of Cornellia. Offenbach was a short haired very serious woman, wearing glasses.

"We're going to ration as follows;" said the Ethnarch. "Given current levels of production and with backup by shipments from Gloria Regis." one of the secretaries began handing out forms to everyone.
Estimated Energy Requirements
Males (Calories per day)
Age Sedentary1 Low Active2 Active3
2-3 y 1100 1350 1500
4-5 y 1250 1450 1650
6-7 y 1400 1600 1800
8-9 y 1500 1750 2000
10-11 y 1700 2000 2300
12-13 y 1900 2250 2600
14-16 y 2300 2700 3100
17-18 y 2450 2900 3300
19-30 y 2500 2700 3000
31-50 y 2350 2600 2900
51-70 y 2150 2350 2650
71 y + 2000 2200 2500

Females (Calories per day)
Age Sedentary1 Low Active2 Active3
2-3 y 1100 1250 1400
4-5 y 1200 1350 1500
6-7 y 1300 1500 1700
8-9 y 1400 1600 1850
10-11 y 1500 1800 2050
12-13 y 1700 2000 2250
14-16 y 1750 2100 2350
17-18 y 1750 2100 2400
19-30 y 1900 2100 2350
31-50 y 1800 2000 2250
51-70 y 1650 1850 2100
71 y + 1550 1750 2000

"Alright," said Carmel, glancing up from the report. "Distribution centers?"

"What we've got to have is cooperation from other authorities. Several designated areas for food distribution are to be used, including already existing markets and stores, which will provide the food. Every family or single individual will be provided with a ration book." the Ethnarch rubbed his nose and coughed into his fist. "Excuse me. We are going to need a unit of police or military personnel to help oversee security for this."

"General, find some unit to divert to that, but make sure they aren't local reservists," said Carmel.

"Understood." said General Barak. Major-General Solomon Barak was a slab faced slab muscled man with a dark moustache and dark eyes, the Adjutant-General to General Benajah; since General Pahath-Moab would lead ground forces operations in defense of Fineberg a lot of the other military decisions would, for the time being, be made by Barak. He had no idea where he would get such troops from was the problem. However he had just been told not to use local reservists; it was an issue because they were what was available, but how many of them were staunch Monarchists, and how many would simply favour (for very human reasons) their own families over the needs of the community in general? He didn't know.

"One thing I wanted to bring up--apparently, according to reports," said Barak, "The Mount Angel peacekeepers are flying around Crozier and Chasuble Districts, are moving all kinds of military hardware in the area. Why wasn't I informed about their activities?" he asked this as the meeting was breaking up after they'd discussed all the details about the rationing plan.

Carmel frowned. "Harcourt told them about the liaison office that Pahath-Moab set up before he went off to the prospective front. It's a simple damned plan, Barak, how could it get fucked up?"

Barak raised his eyebrows. Carmel sighed. "Well, find out. Contact their HQ or something. The last thing we want is yet another combatant to deal with."

"Yes Ma'am," replied Barak, saluting and heading off.

Later on, Barak was in his office in his bunker and was informed by his ADC that there had been no communication, and that there had been no established truce between the Monarchists and the ETC militia in the area. At a strategy meeting he had been present at the ETC leaders had agreed that they would take responsibility for uprooting the rebels from the residential and commercial areas they had hunkered down in. It was a dirty job but they lacked regular soldiers for it, and anyway the ETC were tough experienced street fighters. Benajah and Pahath-Moab had both agreed that it was a bad idea to simply shell the area. Various pockets of resistance were making it hard to capture Crozier in particular. The problem was that they were stretched so damned thin. Like he didn't have enough to do; they'd designated an officer commanding a logistics unit to deal with the peacekeepers and aid workers and apparently no one had even tried to contact her.

Great windowless room; they all had begun transferring to the bunker system not far from Betharan; the others were unsuitable because if they were seriously shelled or bombed they'd never get out again. This one had three different exits, all concealed and heavily guarded, and could withstand a siege for months. Walk in deep freezes, huge storage rooms full of fuel, ammunition, communications equipment, clothing...but it was like living in a tomb. No one had thought to put anything cheerful up but some paintings. His bizarrely had scenes of the sea--small sailing ships, fishermen, a group of women gathering shells wearing classical Cornellian gowns of pink and blue and green. he felt cooped up. But the sight of Wendt had warmed him.

Major Wendt came in to report to him. She was a pretty little thing; an Anglo-German pureblood, which had become rare over the last couple of generations; all the young people wanted to interbreed now, but she looked like she'd come fright from Riemaia or Nordkruessen. Hair smooth and golden as melting butter, clear fair skin, light blue eyes. Not much in the breast department, but hips like a violin, buttocks like warm rising bread. "Major, I want you to make sure that that liaison office is doing it's job. Have Major...what's her name...Ben-Hadad...contact the Mount Angel peacekeepers and the Cookish Embassy. Find out what the hell is going on down there and report to me." He blew out some air as he sat back in his desk.

"Yes sir, I'll see to it," she said. She looked at him warily, not that she had any cause for that. "Was there anything else?"

"Have someone bring a fresh pot of mint tea." he said brusquely. As he watched her leave he enjoyed the sight; even in BDUs she couldn't hide that wonderful set of cheeks. He had on occasion of course been unable to resist patting or pinching. He could tell she was warming to these attentions by the saucy waggle of her departure. A nice distraction for an otherwise crap day, constantly organizing and meddling and dealing with circumstances.

Code: Select all
To: Cookish Embassy, Mount Angel Peacekeeping Command
From: Office of Major-General Barak, Adjutant-General's Office

This message has been sent to inquire as to why there has been no direct communication to the 11th Logistics Regiment via Major Ben-Hadad. It is understood that there has been an increase in movement from the peacekeepers from Mount Angel and by Cookish humanitarian workers in the Crozier and Chasuble Districts, but that there has been no communication and coordination of a cease fire with either Ben-Hadad or the Monarchist leadership in those Districts. Please advise on status of communication ASAP.
Last edited by New Edom on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

The Cookish States
Minister

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cookish States » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:46 pm

"Cookish Stadium", Fineberg, New Edom

The Angelans started arriving within the hour. They were all so clean and well dressed, you could tell a Cookish doctor from an Angelan one. The Cookish ones generally were spattered in blood and other fluids, dirty from weeks without a shower minus their hands, which were sanitized once per patient. The Edomites were handed out extra clothing to deal with the cold nights, while none of the Cookish participated in the impractical nudity laws. Who goes bare when there's guns and explosions about?

The new supplies were quite literally a godsend. Now Soymer could do more to help medically. As he fit a new brace over an old mans leg he got a good look at the tunnel to the locker rooms...that's where the dead were being rested. They started in the beginning, to bury them, and give them good and proper funerals. Then, there were more dead. Then even more. They were now having to pile the dead in the Away-side locker rooms, which were luckily very large.

"That is no way to lay a man to rest."

Soymer saw a woman walking toward the dead rooms...she was too far away for him to stop her. Poor girl. He listened to Marley now, speaking to him. In a serene and calm fashion Faman spoke..

"We have fifteen extra tents that are empty, and have multiple rooms, do me a favor? Have your men set up five triage stations within five of the tents, two O.R's, and a delivery room. I trust your people have an OBGYN? Also, this is important, I had a security detail of six men, including a close friend, go out into the city to retrieve some wounded. 9th Street. Crozier. Could your peacekeepers do anything about that?"
__________________________________________________________________________________
9th Street, Crozier, Fineberg, New Edom

Jacob Hadn't was a retired CVA trooper. When he heard about the civil war, he got a phone call from Doctor Soymer, one of his old college friends asking for him to carry a gun and work security for him. Jacob was strapped for work ever since his discharge from the Army...and accepted.

Now, his five man medical team was dead. The red crosses on their chests didn't mean shit to the monarchists, who lit them up with machine gun fire as they ran for four wounded civilians. He was laying in a crater in the middle of the street, with an exposed utility pipe spraying him with dirty water. A bus was on its side in front of him as he laid on his back in the cracked asphalt and dirt. He could hear yelling, shots being fired. And now, to make things worse, he'd caught some chunk of wood in his calf. In the sky a giant girder seemed to slide from an angled floor in slow motion. The hunk of steel plummeted down six stories and landed fifteen feet from him, the sound deafened him.

"Could it get much worse?"

The Rangers walked on the hot tarmac in lines, loading onto C-130's as F-16's orbited ready to escort the planes. The typical paratrooper from the Cookish States had 70 pounds of equipment on him, along with his weapon and ammunition. None of this included his forty pound parachute.

The last of the planes loaded up, there were twenty six of them. Each plane held 64 paratroopers. They would rely on Edomite and Angelan supply lines to keep them fed, while the planes started taxiing supplies to Fineberg International Airport.

Cameron Forks loaded onto his aircraft behind his squad leader. He just joined eight months ago. Hadn't even been in for a year. He couldn't wait to kill some Monarchists. His superiors told him to thank God he hadn't yet seen combat. But he knew he had to learn that one for himself.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Bashamat Air Command, Radio Transmission to Edomite High Command

Edom High Com, this is Flight 247 carrying a load of precious cargo for your fronts. We need a good co-ordinate or we're going to Beta Dropzone behind rebel lines to the north. At which point we will need reinforcements.
Oh, is this sig supposed to make you laugh?

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm

To: Bashamat Air Command
Code: Most Secret

1. Your landing grid will be 40 KM from Fineberg 2 KM from highway A-1.

2. Terrain light woods and farmland.

3. Risen Sp. Forces will provide LZ and guidance.

3. Operation Code for friendlies is "Shibboleth".

4. Target: fuel and supply column, 1 Logistics and 1 Transport regiment, escorted by 1 mechanized battalion (LY219 IFV/APC) with call in access to Aviation Regiment. This operation will take place in tandem with an ETC attack on the Monarchist artillery column. Without fuel and supplies and artillery, division will be unable to effectively attack Fineberg.

5. Friendly assets include planned combined ground attack and air superiority fighter flights to hold off enemy aviation and act as aviation fire support.  Call designation is "Hound-6".

6. Weather expected to be scattered thundershowers in the area within one hour of your unit's arrival, wind inclining to N-SW, light winds.

The Cookish States
Minister

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cookish States » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Over New Edom, ETA Twenty One Minutes

Cameron looked around the cramped plane. It was dark, there was a red light illuminating everyone barely, with the back ramp letting a streak of sunlight in. The jumpmaster checked everyones equipment, and briefed everyone on the security word.

"Shibbolet"

The normal response was something like..

"Say what? They tryina' get us killed?"

The jump masters finished their checks and manned their doors. They hung out the sides to check the windage.

"8 knots! We're green on weather. Gotta make it in two drops though, I see an overcast hauling ass over here!"

The master jumpmaster (actual term) got on a small box so everyone could see him.

"TEN...MINUTES! HOOK UP!"

Everyone took their static lines and hooked them up as ordered. Weapons were charged, the compact L85's were perfect for this sort of operation. Some of the troops were even running the Famas. But, there were five or so poor bastards per plane that were forced to carry the M240B. It figured that Forks was one of those poor bastards. The light turned from red to green and men started flowing out of the two doors.

"GO GO GO!"

Forks walked forward and before he knew it cold air was blasting his face. Underneath him he saw black smoke rising above Fineberg's skyline and wartorn suburbs. The DZ was coming fast, and he prepared to land. His knee wasn't fully relaxed though, and he felt his whole leg go numb.

"Fuck me runnin'"

As he massaged feeling back into his leg he saw everyone digging holes for their parachutes. Then men started yelling, and pointing upward. A C-130 had caught a stray SA missile. It flamed up and dove into the trees a few miles away. Still, more paratroopers were coming down on dropzone B just to his left. But officers were rallying other Rangers to "Follow me!" and go attack the rebel fuel and supply regiments. 1,500 Rangers would surely be able to topple some wanna-be princes off their thrones.
Last edited by The Cookish States on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, is this sig supposed to make you laugh?

Estovakiva
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Estovakiva » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:36 pm

The Embassy of the Stratocratic Federation of Estovakiva.
Fineberg - New Edom

Malashenko shook his head as he put some pappers from Jötunheimr, which contained strict instructions and information on Estovakiva`s change of stance in terms of the secound New-Edomite civil war. Seems Estovakiva had finaly choosen it side, not suprising Malashenko thought especialy regarding the side Estovakiva would now support fully-heartedly was the one they have had dealings with before. The Free Congress, which Estovakiva has established good relations with, something the Monarchists might wiev with hatred. As Estovakiva quickly shifted its support from the Monarchists to the Free Congress quickly when King David had died in an aircraft "accident" an New Edom under Free Congress rule would be acceptable as it were predictable the Estovakivans knew how to deal with them, however New Edom under the Monarchists were wieved with sceptism as well as dislike as New Edom would then become unpredictable.

Communications were already going in and out of the embassy, to the homeland as well as to General Kamerov`s forces approaching from Raith`immael. FSB staff members were already ready to cordinate efforts with the Free Congress which would recive said support. Malashenko smiled and said to himself "Seems Estovakiva is going to war yet again in New-Edom to maintain peace and security", Malashenko raised a brow as the door was opened and a FSB operative entered. "Well what do you have to report?"

The FSB operative removed his bacheclava and saluted shortly "All communications are up various satelites have been re-positioned to help us in our actions and the defences of the embassy has been severly reinforced incase the Monarchists decides to attack our embassy, now we only have to contact the Free Congress so we can initiate our plans."

Malashenko noded approvingly "Exellent, im quite sure Madame Carmel wil be quite relived when we voice our support of the Free Congress, rather then the monarchists anything else to report?" said Malashenko as he eyed the operative. "No but we have detailed information about the city as well, as who controlls what however we are unsure if this have changed we better recive confirmation from the Free Congress themselves to be exactly sure. Rumours has it that a large Monarchist force is approaching from Harbourtown but so far anything remains unconfirmed"

"Very well" Said Malashenko as he began writing the message to Sarah Carmel as the FSB Operative left his office.

Malashenko`s diplomatic letter - encryption level:Red
To: Attorney-General Sarah Carmel
From: Ambassador Malashenko of The Stratocratic Federation of Estovakiva.

Attorny-General,Carmel

I am to inform, you as of now The Stratocratic Federation of Estovakiva supports the Free Congress of New Edom fullheartedly against the rebel forces of the Monarchists and its allies, we belive that it would be a disaster if the Monarchists were allowed to return to power after such a brutal Coup D'etat. And therefore we have decided to support the Free Congress, as we know the situation in Fineberg is rather dire, which is why the 45th Heavy-Guards Brigade are enroute to Fineberg from Raith`immael. Thus we would like to set up joint communications and command so we can better cordinate our efforts. We would as well like to recive as much information regarding the situation in New-Edom and Fineberg as a whole so we can gain better situational awareness.

May i note that our UAVs and UCAVs as well as Helicopters wil required to operate from an Free Congress Air force base, so information regarding that wil be required.

We hope our continued support cast a light on the grim situation.

Sinercly, Ambassador Malashenko
Last edited by Estovakiva on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:00 pm

(saved)
Last edited by New Edom on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mount Angel
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Angel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Battle of 9th Street, Crozier District, Fineberg

"Let's go!" Caleb snapped into his headset, and the Michaelites broke into the street, sprinting and bent double. Halfway over, a round clipped Megan Simms' shoulder and she spun, hit the ground, and then flung herself behind a half-overturned bus. "Sister Megan!" Caleb called. "You all right?"

"Fine, Prior!" the medic shouted back, then gave a slightly crazed laugh. "It hit the cross! It hit the cross!" Sure enough, the dull bronze cross embossed on every Michaelite's shoulder-armor was dented on Meghan's camouflaged arm, crumpled about a third of the way up its length. And if that's not symbolic, Caleb thought half-crazily to himself, I don't know what is. In the brief respite behind the bus, he heard Lucio's rifle open up, the steady crack-crack-crack of aimed fire hammering the windows of the building ahead, joined now by the blurred roar of caseless fire from the LY21s, tightly controlled bursts making a sound like fabric tearing in the heavens as the Angelans tried to cover the ETC advance.

And then they were up and moving again, straight for the building itself, ETC screaming all around them. It was somewhere in that last dash that Caleb and his fellow Angelans forgot all about their supposed neutrality. Here they were, charging into the mouth of death side by side with the militia. The reasons were different, but in the visceral, overwhelming intensity of the experience, all the subtleties of diplomacy and politics lost their relevance. Caleb felt nothing but brotherhood with the militiamen around him, and for a moment, leaping over ruined cars through a rain of bullets, that seemed like the most important thing imaginable.

And then, with a crash, the armored Angelans flung themselves against a line of concrete blocks at the foot of the building. Megan crawled prone up to an ETC fighter who'd been hit in the leg while trying to get a demo charge set, and a quick glance up showed Caleb that the door into the apartment building, blown open, was blocked with debris. Shit. He stared around desperately, searching for inspiration, and then found it. Directly behind him, across the road and down the alley alongside the strip mall from which they'd come, almost out of sight, lurked the flattened form of an Angelan Sorcha HIFV.

"Listen up!" Caleb roared. "Everyone get away from that door! I say again, get away from that door! And keep your heads down! I'm calling in fire support!" With the touch of a button, Caleb activated the laser designator attached to his LY21, and then raised the rifle - though not his head - over the Monarchist barricade until the beam of coherent light was trained directly on the blocked door. "Brother Simon!" Caleb shouted into his headset. "Are you getting that?"

"Copy, Father," came the calm reply. "I've got you on scope."

Caleb's arms shook as he tried to hold the rifle steady above his head. "All right!" he almost screamed. "I want you to put an ATGM on those coordinates. Clear?"

"Crystal. Ready?"

Caleb gave a quick glance around, made sure that everyone was behind cover. "Clear!"

"Missile away."

The Helios II ATGM was intended to engage main battle tanks from up to fourteen kilometers away. It had a tandem-charge HEAT warhead meant to blast through reactive armor and rolled homogenous steel. Now, it was unleashed at a doorway. The sheer solidity of the building had given Caleb the courage to risk this, but he still had a last-minute, irrational flutter of fear that the entire apartment building might come crashing down when the missile hit the makeshift barricade. The priest dropped behind the concrete blocks, eyes closed. Later, he would swear that he could feel the wind from the missile on his face as it went by over his head and streaked toward the blocked door. But less than a heartbeat later, light exploded behind his clenched eyelids, and there came a sound like the world ending, and Caleb felt bits of masonry and rubbish raining down on his helmet like a summer shower.

Mount Angel
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Angel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Around 9th Street, Crozier District, Fineburg

"No plan survives contact with the enemy," muttered Prioress Martha Wallenstein. Never had the old truism seemed more apposite than here in the hell of the Crozier District, with gunfire all around. Father Caleb Franks seemed to have taken it upon himself to resolve the battle in short order, apparently by the use of overwhelming firepower. Martha had to assume that the priest was within the rules of engagement, but then - how could he not be? Everyone in the city seems to be shooting at us.

And now there was a distress call. An RTO in one of the Sorchas had picked it up: "We are a convoy of civilians heading out from the 8th Avenue and 10th street block. We have white flags on our vehicles! Do not shoot at us! We are unarmed and have children with us!" That was ten minutes ago. They should have made it to the corridor by now, Martha thought grimly. But they're nowhere to be seen. So what do I do?

It had seemed so simple: advance into the district, evacuate people along the route, hold the corridor open to provide an escape route for people who didn't live along the line of the advance itself. But now there was a dramatic, pointed question: what about the people who couldn't make it to the corridor?

Ordinarily, the answer would be simple: not our problem. No one could do everything. If you started sending units off into the red zone on hare-brained rescue missions, you were going to stretch the Michaelites too thin to keep the corridor open, and then all would have been for naught. Martha knew this. And yet...

They have children with them. And Caleb was out there somewhere fighting a private war with ten men and an HIFV - and his unorthodox methods might yet be the best hope for saving hundreds of lives. The plan's gone to hell already anyway. And, oh, God - they have children with them. Children on the streets in the middle of a battle.

In the end, it was a gut check for Martha, a decision made on moral instinct. She pulled down the mike on her headset and snapped: "Contubernia Marlowe and Bykov, form up on your vehicles and get ready to move. We've got a civilian party en route to the corridor from Eighth and Tenth, and they've gone dark. We're going to see what's going on."

"Roger that, Mother Prioress." The response was instant, but Martha could hear the split second of thought behind it, the realization that they were going off-script. Then the twenty Michaelites drew up behind their HIFVs, using the vehicles as moving cover, and went down the alley at the opposite end of the strip mall from Caleb's team, and vanished into the chaos beyond.

+

When the Angelans emerged north of the apartment building, a few stray bullets immediately splattered against the Sorchas, causing the peacekeepers to put the vehicles between themselves and the building. Well, that's our justification if we start shooting ourselves. But Martha Wallenstein had more important things to worry about, because she saw two things that caught her immediate attention. First, there were six bodies with red crosses on their chests, sprawled in the middle of the street in a crater. But there was something wrong with one of those bodies, a big man with a piece of wood embedded in his calf. As the Angelans watched, a massive steel girder plunged down, impacting seemingly next to him - and the dead man twitched. Wait, Martha thought, and before she could open her mouth, Sister Tori Brown - the marksman for Father Bykov's contubernium, was shouting: "That's a live one! That man's alive!"

The second thing that Martha saw was, in front of her, a long line of vans and trucks, marked with white flags. A line of vehicles that was stopped while Monarchist soldiers waved at the lead van from the structures nearest the main apartment building. As Martha watched, a group of troops rapidly advanced on the civilian vehicles. At her shoulder, Jordan Toglu, Father Marlowe's marksman, raised his SR10R1, staring down the scope at the lead Monarchist. "I have the solution," Jordan breathed.

"Hold your fire," Martha snapped. "Father Bykov, take two brothers and your Sorcha, get that man out of the crater before he gets killed for real, and then rejoin me." At this point, trying to go anywhere without the HIFVs to provide a moving piece of armored cover was suicide; it might as well have been raining bullets. "Everyone else, stay behind Marlowe's Sorcha. We're going to try to get those Monarchists to let the civilians go. Amen?"

"Amen," chorused the Michaelites. Bykov pointed at two soldier-monks from his contubernium, and they moved off with their Sorcha across the road to where the man known to the reader as Jacob Hadn't lay in a crater. Bykov kept his shoulder pressed against the side of the HIFV; he could feel the vehicle shake as a high-calibre string of machine-gun rounds ricocheted off its far side, which faced the apartment building. There was a low, angry rumble as the vehicle's autocannon turret swiveled to face the fortified building. Father Andrs Bykov offered up a brief prayer that no one felt like getting lucky with an RPG. And then the Sorcha ground to a stop with its bulk between the prostrate Cookish vet and the apartment building whose fire had so nearly killed him. Bykov reached down, grabbed Jacob by the collar, and unceremoniously bundled him into the crew compartment of the Sorcha. "Angelan peacekeepers," he told the man. "You're in good hands." Then Bykov hammered on the side of the HIFV, and the rear ramp rose. "Let's go!" The Sorcha rumbled back toward the scene of the confrontation with the civilians - and a good thing too, for scant seconds after it left the foxhole, a missile streaked by through the space which it had previously occupied, on its way to a rendezvous with the barricaded door that was stymieing Father Caleb Franks and the ETC militia.

Meanwhile, Martha had moved forward with the other HIFV and most of two contubernia. "Sister Maria, patch me in to the Sorcha's loudspeaker," she snapped. There was a moment's pause, then the response crackled in Martha's ear. "You're live, Mother Prioress." Martha took a deep breath, and then spoke firmly into her headset. She almost jumped to hear her amplified voice boom across the street to where the civilians were being stopped by the Monarchists.

"This is the Angelan Peacekeeping Force! We are here to evacuate civilians! We have received communications from these civilians making clear their desire to be evacuated! Please allow us to get them to safety, in the name of the God whom we all worship!" That last was a desperate move, Martha thought, but it might work. If there was one thing that New Edomites and Angelans had in common, it was piety. The Michaelites, clearly, were not counting on that; the Sorcha's turret was steadily trained on the Monarchist positions, as were two SG2s, two SR10R1s, two Mk 48s, and twelve LY21s. "I still have the solution," murmured Jordan Toglu.

"Hold fire," Martha snapped into her headset; she had forgotten that she was still patched into the Sorcha's loudspeaker, so it came out: "HOLD FIRE!" The prioress flinched, then, with a stomach-churning awareness of her own mortality, decided to make the best of it. "I'm coming out!" she broadcast. "Hold your fire! I want to talk! Let's see if we can find a way to get all of these people out of here safely, all right?" Martha took a deep breath and stepped out from behind the Sorcha, hands raised. "Let's just talk, okay?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 pm

9th Street, Crozier District

Even as the Monarchists were approaching the vehicles there were suddenly cries of consternation from them. He started muttering, recognized as near hysteria even as he pulled Catalina and the kids to the floor of the van, hunching down there. "Moooom! Daaaad!" they cried. "What's going on?" The deafening sound of automatic weapons seemed all around them, and then suddenly other shouts; unbeknownst to them the Monarchists were exploding into action all around them. It looked like there were even more Free Congress, with a Sorcha no less! As the Angelans were rushing up they heard them shouting something about peacekeepers, but that was nonsense; they had just seen them attack the apartment-fortress, and so one of them crouching in the doorway of a building fired an RPG-16 at the treads of the vehicle while another aimed for the joint of the turret. From the other positions it was all chaos; one of the Monarchist units broke and ran into the streets, firing wildly, in full retreat from what they felt were overwhelming forces coming to get them. Bullets zinged through the convoy in the midst of the confusion--unintended but happening nevertheless.

From the point of view of Dale and the other ETC militia, all they were aware of was the open door. Dale would possibly later marvel at the idea of cooperating with Angelans, but for the time being he just moved up to the door. "Come on!" he signaled for grenades; two flash bangs went in and BOOM, to dazzle and smoke out the enemy. He had remembered that the Angelans had spoken of civilians, so he'd at least give them a chance; in he went first, aimin to spray the room. They had a layered defense; a row of sand bags and other junk, but the flash bangs had given the ETC initiative and he punched several rounds into one of them who had stood up with an HK CAW (damn, that would have been nasty!) even as the rest of the squad were blazing away at them. it was a lobby, a wrecked but definite lobby, and a hallway past it and a flight of stairs and an elevator bank. Dale motioned for the first squad to finish a sweep of the lower level while the other was to cover the stairs and elevator. He wondered if the elevator actually worked, not that he had any intention of using it. He motioned for his RTO. "Bravo Six, this is Bravo 2-O, we are in the first level of the building." He gave Caleb a thumbs up. There was a map of the building on the wall; he nodded to it and gestured that he'd take the flight of stairs up and left, and for Caleb to go up and right.
Last edited by New Edom on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mount Angel
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Angel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 pm

"Cookish Stadium", Fineberg, New Edom

Ionion Marley nodded. "I'll get it done." Out came the radio again, and soon enough, Angelans were carrying supplies, operating tables, and portable sanitation stations to the locations designated as O.R.'s and triage stations. Similar equipment, plus various more specialized supplies, were brought into the tent designated as a delivery room. Ionion didn't even want to think about why that should be necessary, but he found his mind rebelliously running over all the sickening possibilities, and each new consideration made him even more angry. The Ninianite let out a deep breath. "I think Father Panicucci worked in a delivery room in Shiloh. I'll send him over, and I'll get the new arrivals moved to the extra space, all right?" Ionion started to walk away, then turned. "Oh - about your team. There's a lot of shooting out there, but the Michaelites are good. If your friend is still alive" - they had moved far beyond any hope of delicacy, standing in this ocean of suffering humanity - "then the peacekeepers will find him." Ionion paused, and then - perhaps moved by the brooding spirit of Father Andrs Bykov - added, "He's in good hands."

Meanwhile, Marie Hanson approached the tunnel to the locker rooms. As she approached, she felt a terrible premonition run up and down her spine, and her hands suddenly clenched. There was something wrong here, very wrong, and the tunnel suddenly seemed like a gateway to Hell itself. The young Ninianite stopped, her breath ragged, and closed her eyes, searching for the courage to take one more step. Her mind sped back through the last week, back to the amphitheater at Fort Cupertino and the Archbishop's address a lifetime ago.

Love wins.

All right.
Before she could think better of it, Marie half-ran down the tunnel, and into a nightmare.

The bodies were stacked like cordwood, with the obscene detachment of necessity. Men, women, and children lay sprawled over each other, neatly stacked from one side of the room to the other. Mouths gaped; bellies swelled. Flies coated an old man's staring eyes, which nonetheless contrived to stare directly at Marie. A scream rose in her throat, and she fought it down.

It was a hot summer. An End Times Church fighter, likely now dead, had told Shadrach Parks that it was a dry heat. Mother Nature didn't care. The locker room smelled like an abattoir. One of the corpses thrashed as gas forced its way out of the swiftly putrefying body. It was the last straw. Marie turned aside, and vomited until only bile came forth, and then sank to the floor, shaking.

She stared down at the prayer book in her hand. Leather binding, gold letters. Someone had spent hours, maybe days of work on this, just to make it beautiful. And here it was, in a room full of the decomposing corpses of ordinary people, normal people, no different from Marie's own family. The incongruity was incomprehensible. It did not seem possible that the world could contain both extremes in the same place, and Marie even felt for a moment, insanely, that the titanic conflict of the two would rip the fabric of reality itself, like a sheet gone threadbare beyond endurance. Like a burial shroud.

Marie glanced up, her sorrow weighing on her like a wild beast. They could be my parents. My sister. My best friend. And here they are stacked here like firewood.

She stood. If anyone had seen her then, they might not have recognized the Marie Hanson whom they'd known. Her face was broken, furious, exalted. Marie stalked out of the locker room and across the teeming stadium to Joseph Valcon, his wife, his daughter, and all the other volunteers for whom Marie was responsible. She stopped in front of them, and they stared at her and then looked away, as if she were Moses come down from Mount Sinai, and they could not bear the radiance of her face.

"Come on," said Marie Hanson simply. "We have graves to dig."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Near Constanianna Embassy

The Sergeant had just been about to escort these people to the immigration and travel office, when the Ranger Captain suddenly hurried up towards the family, the sergeant's troops who were after all hardly standing around merely gawking but were on a patrol of the street had covered their approach. It was more than the Sergeant could bear--now who were these spit and polished embassy troops?

"Excuse me." said the Sergeant in a tight cold voice. "Do you have some jurisdiction here that I'm not aware of?" As they were saying this the battle off in Crozier and Chasuble suddenly went ballistic; the sound of propeller driven planes in the sky, automatic weapons fire, missiles and rpgs going off escalated enormously; clearly a full scale battle taking place somewhere.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:05 pm

To: Ambassador Malashenko
Code: Most Secret Allied Channel

Dear Ambassador

I welcome the decision of the Estovakivans to support the properly elected and legal government of the Allied States. I would like to forward you a copy of operational orders regarding the defense of Fineberg. If you could have your forces form a screen to the northwest of the city, according to General Benajah, that would be ideal, but please contact his command directly for details.

sincerely,
Sarah Carmel

MINISTRY OF NATIONAL DEFENSE
To: Cookish, Nalayan, LRE, Lamonian, Shrailleeni, Adiron High Command
Security Code: Most Secret, Eyes Only

OPORD "URGENT ZEAL"

1. Situation: Monarchist forces attempting to envelope the city of Fineberg and cut off advance on the Silver River Air Force Base.

1. 3rd Marine Division
CO: Major-General James Seaguard
{- 2x Sd.Kfz. AY151 Javelin command modified vehicles
200x Pz.Kpf.W AY2-1E Panthera Tigris main battle tanks
20x Panzerhaubitze 2E self-propelled artilleries
10x Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer 2E air defence tanks
10x PiPz AY2-AVEE combat engineering Tanks
5x Panzerschnellbrücke 2E rapid bridge tanks
200x Pseudonaja utility vehicles
1,000x Corio Class E-Cab military trucks
21x RH-77 Cannondale stealth attack helicopters
21x RH-90 Incursor heavy attack helicopters
40x TH-300 Lakota utility helicopters}
(Advancing in general direction from Harbourtown, last noted position 65 km from Fineberg along A-2 Highway and adjacent roads within 5 km of main highway. Advance slowed by friendly forces noted below.)

2. First Mechanized Division
CO: Major-General Zadok Hesperinus
130 x LY7 Rottweiler MBT
490 x LY219 IFV/APC
20 x LY219 Armoured Recovery
5 x LY219 Command Vehicles
25 x LY219/220 Shepherd STMRAD
72 x LY7/4072 Cockatrice MRS
30 x LY6 Werewolf Assault Gun/Tank Destroyer
3000 x HEMT trucks
80 x TRA-92 "Eiko" Light Attack Helicopters
10 x K45A2 'Vandal' Light Utility Helicopter
1 x LY471 Skyguard Battery
last known location 70 km from Fineberg advancing along the A-1 Highway from Padan-Aran, slowed by friendly forces noted below)

3. Air Cover
25 x Sea-Terrier
8x GM-24 Sea Caballero
30x Sparrowhawk
30x Shadowhawk
• 4x A565-B AWACs
• 8x T565 Tanker
(estimated deployment)

4. Naval Support
(Imperial Riemaian Expeditionary Force)
IRV Renia (CVN-935, Reyja Class Fleet Carrier)
IRV Butterfly (LHDN-1, Butterfly Class)
IRV Lumina (LHDN-3)
IRV Pennen (LHDN-14)
IRV Tuulikki (CGN-108, Tuulikki Class Cruiser)
IRV Meliore (DDGN-203, Rena Class Destroyer)
IRV Cassandra (DDGN-207)
IRV Zensen (DDGN-212)
IRV Kirlsa (FFG-765, Kirlsa Class Frigate)
IRV Aquaria (FFG-771)
IRV Nemural (FFG-772)
IRV Roel (FFG-781)
IRV Sencho (SSN-02, Seawolf Class Submarine)
IRV Telabath (SSN-13)
IRV Excel (SSN-41)
IRV Selenite (AOE-11, Supply class fast combat support ship)
IRV Quazinc (AOE-09)

(Possible Amphibious landing with air support from following:)

Ground
(located on the three LHDNs, overall)
6x LCAC (In Well Deck)
24x Ekocasan 128 (MBT)
72x BMP-3RI (IFV)
24x M-777 Howitzer
36x SA-150 (Sisu Masi)
90x MOWAG Eagle
12x G6 Howitzer
24x Sisu Pasi (3 Command, 3 Communications, 12 Anti Air, 6 Ambulance)

1st Army 9th Combined Arms Group (2,000, IRV Lumina)
1st Army 12th Combined Arms Group (2,000, IRV Pennen)
1st Army 16th Combined Arms Group (2,000, IRV Butterfly)
1st Army 3rd Special Operations Company (36, IRV Tuulikki)

Air
(On the IRV Renia)
24x Sea Gripen
6x CH-53 Sea Stallion

(On the thee LHDNs, overall)
42x BAe Sea Harrier
12x V-22 Osprey
6x CH-53 Sea Stallion
18x LALY-215 Reaver
(Note: Riemaian Forces have recently had an encounter with Loyalist naval forces 25km offshore from Harbourtown)

General Command:
Minister of Defense Augrim
Military Command East Bara: Lieutenant-General Martin Benajah, GOC.
1. 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment (14th Hussars)
CO: Brigadier-General Perrin Pahath-Moab
New Edomite Armored Cavalry Regiment Organization:

HQ Unit (2 Command Vehicle variants, 1 M28 armored scout car, 1 M20 APC)
- maintenance troop
- communications troop
- medical troop
- supply and transportation troop

Armored Squadron (2 , 64 Panthera Tigris mbts, 1 combat engineer company)

Armored Infantry Squadron (30 M20 APCs, 10 Javelin IFVs, 6 mortar vehicles, 6 anti-tank vehicles)

Aviation Squadron (6 Vandal light utility helicopters, 12 RH-77 attack helicopters, 20 Lakota transport helicopters)

Artillery Squadron (1 howitzer battery of 8 SPH, 1 MRLs battery of 8, 1 Skyguard battery)

Combat Engineer Squadron (1 Anti-Mine Troop, 1 Combat Engineer Troop, 1 NBC Platoon, 1 Bridge Troop)

SKYGUARD 9 x LY4030 TEL, 9 x LY4031 TEL, 9 x 4032 TEL, 56 x LY4030 missiles, 144 x LY4031 missiles, and 18 x LY4032 “Rampart” missile, in a ready-to-fire state. 1 x Moat, 1 x Bastion, 1 x Keep. 1 x BCCV. 18 x PAMV
(Currently preparing defenses for the city of Fineberg and outskirts within 5km)

2. 5th Tactical Fighter Group
CO: Lieutenant-Colonel Nathan Taramemnon
- 25 x LY909 Sparrowhawk (1st Squadron) (Major Joanna Heep)
- 30 x Shadowhawk (2nd Squadron) (Major Alicia Hera)
- 30 x Terrier VSTOL (3rd Squadron) (Major Tobias Catisphon)
• 2 x A565-B
• 2 x T565 Tanker
(providing air recon and attempting to gain air superiority over Southern Bara)

3. 1/18th Light Troops (Rangers)
- 1 x HW Company (MANPADs, mortar platoon)
- 3 x Rifle Grenadier Companies
- 1 x Rover Team (Special Forces, Demolitions Company)
(currently acting as partisans slowing the advance of the Monarchist Marine Division)

4. 3rd Congressional Militia Legion
- 3 x ETC Militia Rifle Companies
- 1 x Risen Company (Special Forces)
- 1 x Combat Engineer Battalion on secondment from command at Sterry.
(currently acting as partisans slowing the advance of the Monarchist First Mechanized Division)

5. Naval Operations
CO: Vice-Admiral Jacob Button
1 x Tuulikki Class Cruiser
2 x Hatchet Class Frigate
1 x Pijil Class Arsenal Ships
1 x Kazatlan Class Amphibious Ship
4 x Audentia Class Corvette
8 x Creodont Class Patrol Ship
4 x Littoral Combat Ship
1 x Littoral Combat Support Vessel
(Currently holding off Riemaian Fleet in a standoff near Harbourtown)

2. Mission Defend Fineberg and SE Bara from invasion by Monarchist Forces.

3. Concept of Operation:
- Prevent Landing behind lines of Riemaian amphibious forces.
- Gain air superiority over East Bara
- Prevent Monarchist forces from advancing on Fineberg by driving them out of East Bara, ideally damaging or destroying their capacity for attack.

4. Execution
A. Allied Naval Operations will in a staggered formation cut off Harbourtown from Fineberg, using combined air, surface and submarine forces to attack the Riemaian Fleet outside Harbourtown. Use of UAV, electronic jamming and cover to be used. Coordinated fire of guided missiles, torpedos and air borne anti ship attacks along with attack on covering air units by air superiority fighters.

B. Cookish Paras to support 18th Light Troops by attacks on rear and supply areas of the First Mechanized Division.

C. LRE, Nalayan and 14th ACR to prepare a staggered line of ambush against 3rd Marine Division.

D. Allied Air Operations to attack Monarchist Air Cover by search and destroy missions, concentrating first on EW, AWACs and refueling planes.

(Command, Signal, Maneuver and Support attachments provided.)[/spoiler]

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Josiastown, Dengali

President Andrews was a strongly built man with a large flat nose, heavy lidded eyes, a short dark neat goatee, wearing a three piece suit, staring out the windows of his office at the green lawn surrounding the Presidential palace.

"Your Excellency," his secretary, Peter Kazana, said as he knocked and entered, "The senior cabinet are here."

"Thank you, Peter," said Andrews, turning and smiling as Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser, Dr. Uriah Nicanor, Cassandra Blue, Harriet Waller and Samuel Kitchen entered the room. He had appointed them all to create a strong government to try to create unity among the people of Dengali. And two of them--the Admiral and the Doctor--were New Edomites. Representing the Free Congress and the Monarchists now respectively. How could Dengali be whole if even those who attempted to help lead it were fractured among themselves?

"Welcome, all of you. Please sit down." said Andrews warmly, hiding his concern. He sat and crossed his legs. "Ladies and gentlemen, I have grave concern, and we have been meeting for the past several days to discuss what to do in the face of New Edom's troubles. And we have proposed this solution, and that solution and never one that we could all agree upon. And now I must ask Doctor Nicanor and Prince Elijah what they intend to do."

Doctor Nicanor nodded. "Mr. President, you have treated us very kindly and I am very grateful. What we appear to have," he said, glancing at Prince Elijah, "Is a standoff. The forces under our commands here have refused to fight one another. In fact, to be blunt what we have is a mutiny on our hands, and we may as well thank God for it."

Prince Elijah nodded grimly. "For the moment at least our loyalties must be to Dengali itself." He didn't allude to the fact that he had had to look at a signed petition from the fleet, with sailors staring at him intently, and a Senior Chief approaching and saying, "Highness, with great respect I tell you that we have no quarrel with you as man or commander. But we will not again shoot at our own people." He privately wished that everyone had responded that way, but of course out here they'd had time and distance and more space to think about it, and even as attempts had been made to get them to follow Rand's orders and Finnhald's orders at the end of the day none of them wanted to follow any such orders. Of course there was another simple reason; they all lived like princes here. Welcome in almost every home, prices low, their money more valuable, respect given to them beyond anything they got at home--and New Edomite uniforms were respected--made it like a paradise. The slow easy pace was even required somewhat--they couldn't drill as hard because of the heat, and so siestas were mandatory. By now the average military man or woman probably shared a native servant, had as much respect as officers were normally granted back home, had enjoyable leave and generally had a home away from home. They wouldn't let anything endanger that. Many had also formed local relationships. Always a problem. But he did not mention this shame specifically.

"Then gentlemen," said Mrs. Blue, the Prime Minister, "I take it that your forces will remain here to defend Dengali?"

"In a nutshell," said Dr. Nicanor.

"I personally need to resign," said Prince Elijah politely. "I have enjoyed my service here, your Excellency, but I cannot in good conscience continue to serve here."

"I see." said Andrews. "And you, Dr. Nicanor?"

"Your Excellency, it is my intention to remain here." said Nicanor firmly.

"Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser, you have served my country very well. I could not be happier with the training, the anti-piracy activities and the peace you have generally established in my waters. I am sad to see you go, but I understand that it is a matter of honour," said Andrews softly.

He stood, and Prince Elijah stood, and they shook hands.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm

"I honestly don't see why they're so against us bringing a fleet. I mean, the last time we actually used a fleet we sent in an investigatory role was..." John paused.
"A few months ago," Francis replied. "Remember Vorshka? And also Republicania?"
"Yes, I know," John said. "But honestly, in the decades before that we have operated a dozen fleets in hundreds of peaceful patrols and we really aren't the sort ..." he paused again.
"Well, we do actually have some sort of a history of using our fleets, and it is in our standard operating provisions," Francis pointed out.
"Yes, I know," John replied. "But just because we do use our fleets doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with bringing one with us. We can't move between fractal realities without transport, we can't use aircraft because we can't refuel them to get them anywhere within the New-Edom planetary confines, so we need something which can refuel and that means we need a supercarrier and that means we need a fleet to defend it! And there's no point in mediation of you can't ensure that peace agreements will be honoured," John said, in an aggrieved tone. "And, there's absolutely no way we're going to help New Edom without ensuring that they follow the conventions of war, which means we may need peacekeepers before the end of negotiations, and so, again, a fleet. And they need to practice manoeuvres in unfamiliar terrain. Any two of those reasons should be enough. Well, they're going, whatever anyone else says. And as for written correspondence - they're fools, if you have things in writing they can't be changed, and can be more easily recollected and argued over. And correspondence hasn't been lost since pigeon post."
Francis chuckled. "And we were probably using it more recently than they were. Well, let them have their way on that. Don't mention it in your reply, other than to say they may delay negotiations - refer to their style."
"That will suit admirably," John replied. "Hopefully they'll leave it at that, then the one-up-man-ship political game can end with a draw on that point."

From: The Foreign Secretary's Office, Libraria and Ausitoria
To: Emma Sarie, Secretary of Foreign Affairs of Tartarus
CC: Sif Finnhald of the Government of the Free Congress, HRH James Obed of the Government of HM King David III

Dear Madams and Sir,

We have already stated very good reasons for taking a mobile air base with us: our ambassadors must have the capacity to fly under their own steam (so to speak) to anywhere in New Edom or around it to negotiate as required. We should be capable of reminding all powers of our friendly interest in their affairs, so that extremists follow the conventions of war and honour any peace agreements. Our fleet needs to practice manoeuvring in an unfamiliar environment anyway. It will do other powers good to see a constitutional monarchy not fighting. If this fleet does feed into the calculations of the armies manoeuvring, that will be good for them: it should encourage a more defensive posture and hopefully fewer large ugly battles as a result as all sides hold some extra forces in reserve. And it will not increase tension except amongst any powers foolish enough to plan massacres.

We shall delay adding to the list of possible compromises and agreements in writing, as is the Empire of Tartarus' style. We look forward then to the speedy beginning of the peace talks.

We have the honour to remain,
The Foreign Office (on behalf of)
The Imperial Commonwealth etc.

(OOC: May I say our fleet has arrived? I'm not sure how fast time is progressing? It would need 24 hours from the decision to dispatch it, 2 OOC days ago.)

(EDIT: Minor formatting)
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm

The Advance of the Monarchists

A CFHQN-35A Kite Naval Rotodyne UAV was heading north, and its radars and IR were sweeping around the area where supposedly a rebel force was on the move. Its handlers were recording all the data it picked up; a naval intelligence team was analyzing this data.

The First Mechanized Division under General Hesperinus was still advancing, but the advance was slow, ponderous. They were instructed to be friendly to the locals, avoid damage to property where possible, and act as liberators rather than conquerors. The 7th Marine Infantry Regiment moved like supplicants before the war gods. They crept through the brush and the fields, blades out, gently digging, sweating, tense, aware only of the possibility of death lurking in the area. Whoever the CBE units were, they were good enough to have concealed the mines very well. It was also nerve wracking that not far off helicopters and artillery were raking the hills to rid them of the mortar and sniper ambush that had been set up when the minefield had been found.

Meanwhile, General Ephraim's Cuirassier Guards had been advancing slowly but steadily with combat engineers and recon platoons leading the way, as it was in essence a mixed brigade, which could fight entirely on its own if it had to. Ephraim himself was in an Ironheart command vehicle and with the agreement of General "Animal" Hesperinus began to move his forces north of the city guided by the UAV and a flight of EW intelligence gathering fighters. A squadron of fighters would be on call, and a Troop of armored reconaissance led the way for the Regiment. The aviation Squadron was to act as a screen in the air for the advancing regiment, and the Skyguard anti-aircraft battery was alert for any potential incoming missile or air attacks.

To the Guardsmen, this sort of campaign was old hat, but that also filled them with a grim anticipation and apprehension, variously. The average trooper had known war most of his life--from the uprisings in Greymark and in Raith Immel to the civil war in the Chyeknovostan Republic; from the liberation of the oppressed in Mallarctaia to the battles that followed. In a way, one battlefield had blurred into the next--it was mostly a matter of what weapons were used, what language you used to get a hot drink or a piece of ass, what kind of cover you could expect, what the weather was like. The hazing of new recruits was rough, intended to weed out those who couldn't stand to be under constant artillery fire or in the field for days without bathing or hot food under constant stress even for being in the infantry; in the Guards it was even harder. The NCOs and officers tended to stick with their regiments, rarely asking for transfer. It was hard to get into either the marines or the armored cavalry; they were elite units of the line.

However, they were also aware that anyone could be killed by mines, snipers or just about anything. The older Guards minded the younger, because they were the weak point, the ones who could get the others killed. It was the unit system that made them strong.

Accompanying them were two squads from a Rover Team, who were moved ahead along the road by helicopter and were proceeding on foot. They were approximately an hour ahead of the main column, and would be lifted and moved ahead again, the birds flying low to the ground guided by the UAVs.

Lieutenant Ephren was often joshed about the fact that his named sounded like the General's, and was sometimes told "Your Dad says we're going to strike a great blow for freedom," or other moronic jokes like that. But jokes were good, as long as they were good humored. One thing that had come as a nasty shock was that some genius had sent them tons of NE-IMPs rather than Riemaian or Lamonian rations. He was relieved to see that the Guards were joking about it rather than bitterly complaining. But then they were Guardsmen; they were elite, loyal determined; they had all wanted to be here.

"I got a can of machine lube...what the hell?"

"That's lard, boy."

"But they said no fraternizing..."

"I think I recognize my sister's pet rat in this."

"I'd give anything for my sister's pet rat..."

"Rest halt's over, Sergeant," Lieutenant Ephren was always rather serious, he rarely smiled, when he did it was like he was trying it on for size. Sergeant Naham snapped, "Alright, girls, you heard the Lieutenant, stow the IMPs and on your feet, let's get back in the vehicles, by squads, move it out!"

"we got the fields ahead cleared, sir?" asked Ephren.

"That's right. Let's keep going."

The Guardsmen began to climb back into their Ironhearts and all around the temporary encampment people were tossing their cans in the pits for the engineers to cover up. Apparently according to Ephren Air Recon had picked up something, and they were to keep moving to envelope Fineberg, root out the Free Congress, and restore the country to peace.

They caught a brief glimpse of the Regimental Commander and some Company officers talking to the General by the side of a command vehicle, looking at waterproof maps and people fiddling with field laptops, probably connected to UAVs. Then they were rumbling forward again. The report was that they would have to keep off road because of the sheer damage that had been done to it in some parts, and this would slow the advance, but that was anticipated. The way they felt, nothing would stop them now...
Last edited by New Edom on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:47 pm

To: The Foreign Office (on behalf of)
The Imperial Commonwealth etc.

I have been advised by the Ambassador from Tartarus that sending a fleet is entirely unacceptable. This is a mediation, not a peacekeeping mission. If those are your terms then we will unfortunately have to accept that and find another source of mediation. This is regrettable; people are dying, but we cannot allow any abrogation of our sovereignty. It is a concern on the part of the Free Congress that your people intend to force Monarchy on us even if it is not our desire. This cannot be tolerated. I ask you humbly that you agree to mediation in neutral territory without having a large military force near our waters.

sincerely,
President Sif Finnhald.

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:51 pm

New Edom wrote:Near Constanianna Embassy

The Sergeant had just been about to escort these people to the immigration and travel office, when the Ranger Captain suddenly hurried up towards the family, the sergeant's troops who were after all hardly standing around merely gawking but were on a patrol of the street had covered their approach. It was more than the Sergeant could bear--now who were these spit and polished embassy troops?

"Excuse me." said the Sergeant in a tight cold voice. "Do you have some jurisdiction here that I'm not aware of?" As they were saying this the battle off in Crozier and Chasuble suddenly went ballistic; the sound of propeller driven planes in the sky, automatic weapons fire, missiles and rpgs going off escalated enormously; clearly a full scale battle taking place somewhere.

"Well, I certainly have jurisdiction over these people, seeing as they're citizens of the Holy Empire," Captain Sveimir responded, maintaining a slight bit of warmth in his voice. He could certainly hear the sounds of battle; it set his body on edge, his muscles felt tightened like a hunting beast ready to pounce. "What exactly is the trouble here anyway?"
Join Elementals 3, one of P2TM's oldest high fantasy roleplays, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 pm

"Captain, you have no jurisdiction at all except in your own embassy," said the Sergeant flatly. "Your only duty is to protect it. These people need a signed waiver to be clothed in public or else they need to start stripping. And by the way, where's your waiver?" The troops around him were seeming casual but they were in fact ready for trouble. "If you don't have your waiver, I suggest you go back and get it. If not, you'll need to either go back to your embassy or else come with these people--and myself--to get one from the Immigration Office."

Gavinium Magnus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

HRH Princess Natalie of Gavinium Magnus

Postby Gavinium Magnus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:22 pm

"Grilled chicken crepes for me. That sounds delicious. I understand about the payment issue, but I had to at least offer. Noblesse oblige and all. In any case, I haven't meant to be literally a royal pain. I just don't have a lot of friends or acquaintances outside of the Royal Family. The staff are, well...the help. They tell you what you want to hear. They wouldn't dare tell me what I didn't want to hear. I just wanted some real friends, other than my relatives. When I try to make ordinary friends, it's politely and sometimes rather brazenly discouraged by my bodyguards. Breaking away from them was a trick that required direct intervention from Papa.

"Oh, I talk to people online, but they don't know that I'm royalty. They're not friends yet, because they don't know me fully. I don't dare to reveal my true identity. What's it like to be a Tartarian of your class? I have no idea. Not really. People don't tell me much. What about you, Saul? What is it like to be a reporter, or for that matter, a Judean?" Natalie suddenly realized that she was rambling and covered her mouth.

"Sorry for rambling. Let's eat, what do you say? I just want to be friends with you guys."
"Love of one is a piece of barbarism, since it is practiced at the expense of all."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:46 pm

"Oh, you want the five of us to start stripping too? Well, I suppose foreigners have...different tastes," Captain Sveimir replied, his eyebrow raised and the faintest trace of a grin on the captain's otherwise stoic face. One of the soldiers, a young private audibly chuckled a bit before managing to stifle it. "There'll be no need for that Captain," Lord Jeremiah said. Looking at the captain, the Nobleman spoke with a lower voice. "Sveimir? That's a Jarn name, isn't it?" "Yes it is, your Lordship," "I thought so. You certainly look like one," Captain Sveimir was practically the spitting image of a stereotypical Jarn, the people living in the mountains of the northwest. Immensely tall, standing at 6'6, fair blonde hair, steely grey-blue eyes, strong muscles all over, Captain Sveimir certainly looked a little intimidating, especially to foreigners who weren't used to how tall Jarns in general were. "Horfa á þá. Ef þeirrk farao, gefið þeim helnvíti," Lord Jeremiah said, shaking hands with the Captain. To any foreigner it would simply be some farewell spoken in a language they couldn't understand. It was actually more of a warning, but of course the Edomites wouldn't know, the Jarns had always kept their language a little secret even from their own countrymen, and certainly would have prevented foreigners from learning the details of the ancient mountain tongue.
Join Elementals 3, one of P2TM's oldest high fantasy roleplays, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:11 am

The Sergeant considered the situation. These foreigners were either trying to brazen it out or else were too arrogant to realize that obeying the law was dividing foreigners from Free Congress, and Free Congress from Monarchist. And they had really rubbed him the wrong way as though he had no right to lead a patrol in his own city. It pissed him off, and he decided to make them pay for it.

"Give me that handset, get CP on the line." said the sergeant decisively. "Delta Six, this is Delta 2-0, I have a group of foreigners here including some foreign military personnel who are being uncooperative about obeying the law. They are refusing to abide by the compulsory nudity act and have no waivers, and there are a group of armed foreign persons with them. They appear to be from Constanianna. Yes sir...yes sir, alright, I'll do that." he looked up at the Captain distantly. "You all have to wait here. You will have to answer questions at the office of the Attorney-General. I'm sorry, but my hands are tied."

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:44 am

Well, thought John to himself, if they insisted on not seeing a fleet anywhere near them... well, they wouldn't see a fleet anywhere near them. There were plenty of legal and scientific tricks around that one. The Cabinet Secretary was best at one liner responses.

To: President Sif Finnhald of the Government of the Congress of New Edom

We would like to assure you we have absolutely no intention of violating New Edom's sovereignty, and operating maritime craft near your shore.

We have the honour to remain,
The Cabinet Office, Libraria and Ausitoria

Not, the Foreign Secretary thought bitterly, that they should care about how exactly the aircraft flying in the delegates got to the right place. It was peculiar. The Congress seemed much more militant than the Monarchists. 'This cannot be tolerated', indeed. He had better try not to let that... noticeably... interfere in negotiations. They didn't need any xenophobia added. It was very dangerous. Maybe they actually did need to intervene, he thought to himself.
"Register the fleet to the Royal East Ausitorian Petroleum Survey Division, and take a few troop transports," he said. If the Congress didn't want interference, they were either frightened or confident, he wrote down in a memo. And they sounded more confident than frightened. They were behaving like arrogant xenophobes, as per their ridiculous nudity policy, which certainly didn't make them sound sensible future rulers of New Edom. Possibly Communists, a thought popped into his head. Maybe it was for homeland consumption - in which case, that made them both more likely to win, and less likely to attract libertarians or moderates, a dangerous precedent, he noted. It would be interesting to see how the upcoming siege effected them. Maybe they hoped that the would gain a cease fire, and so the enemy advance on the capital would loose momentum, and that was why they were now so confident? But in that case, why were they not allying with Libraria and Ausitoria in the spat with Tartarus to ensure continued negotiations that might result in that cease-fire sooner, he wondered. They had better make some investigation, he thought, referring to the files on New Edom.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Mount Angel
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Angel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:01 am

Command and Control Center, "Angelan Airfield," Fineburg

"All right, all right." Peter Randall paced the room. "What's going on here?"

"As best we can tell," replied Prioress Naomi Chapelle, "the evacuation is going ahead-of-schedule in Chasuble district, but we're getting bogged down in Crozier district. I'm getting reports of units well off the corridor route, engaged in high-intensity combat."

"Why?" the abbot asked sharply. Naomi shook her head, a tightly controlled gesture of frustration.

"No idea. They're off-grid. We've only got this information second-hand anyway. Do you want me to try to get them recalled?"

Peter sighed and shook his own head, slowly. "No. Too late now. Trying to get them out of a fight they've already begun is asking them to put themselves in even more danger. No. And they must have had good reason for departing from the plan. If they're shooting, someone else shot at them first." The abbot planted his hands on one of the map tables. "But I swear, by the blessed head of Saint Paul, I'd better see some rescued civilians out of all this. We're going to catch hell from the New Edomites for becoming involved in the fighting."

"Catching hell? I think we already are," sighed Archabbess Elizabeth Clinton. She walked up and put a communique down on top of the map table on which Peter was leaning. "This just in."

To: Cookish Embassy, Mount Angel Peacekeeping Command
From: Office of Major-General Barak, Adjutant-General's Office

This message has been sent to inquire as to why there has been no direct communication to the 11th Logistics Regiment via Major Ben-Hadad. It is understood that there has been an increase in movement from the peacekeepers from Mount Angel and by Cookish humanitarian workers in the Crozier and Chasuble Districts, but that there has been no communication and coordination of a cease fire with either Ben-Hadad or the Monarchist leadership in those Districts. Please advise on status of communication ASAP.

Peter Randall stared at the message for a moment, then blew out air through his cheeks. "I told them," he said quietly. "I told them right there, in Betharan Palace. We won't move on the Silver River until there's a ceasefire, but we'll move into Crozier and Chasuble at dawn tomorrow to open up a refugee corridor. I told them that to their faces. What is the problem with these people? Are they totally incapable of communicating with each other? Do I have to say the same thing to five different people before the message sinks in?" Peter slammed his fist down on the table, a totally atypical display of anger. "God damn it," he snarled, "I told them this already!"

The abbot took a deep breath and then glanced up. The room was utterly silent. Every eye was fixed on him. This was not the Michaelite way, not the Angelan way. Anger was destructive; a tool, but a terribly dangerous one. You ruled it; it never ruled you. Peter closed his eyes a moment, struggling to get his frustration back under control, and then straightened his back.

"All right," he said quietly. "We have nothing to hide. Let's give them what they want."

To: Office of Major-General Barak, Adjutant-General's Office
From: Office of Abbot Peter Randall, Mount Angel Peacekeeping Command

Apologies for the misunderstanding. It was the understanding of this office that, in our meeting yesterday with General Harcourt and Attorney General Carmel, we declared our firm intention, in accordance with the explicit request of Gen. Harcourt, to open a refugee corridor through the Crozier and Chasuble districts, so as to evacuate civilians trapped in the fighting there. As these districts were well within our area of operations, and as fighting was too intense to delay our action until a ceasefire could be reached, we further declared our intention to commence this evacuation at dawn the day after the meeting. In accordance with that timetable, at dawn today, we began efforts at opening up the refugee corridor. In all of this, we have acted in full accordance with our declared intentions, of which the Free Congress government and military have already been informed. This is the reason for the increased movement of peacekeepers and humanitarian workers which you have noticed.

Clearly, however, we have suffered a misunderstanding as to the level of communication desired by Free Congress commanders in Fineburg. We believed that declaring the nature and timetable of our actions well in advance was sufficient to explain what we were doing, when we were doing it, and why it was necessary. If Major Ben-Hadad wishes to be kept appraised in more detail of the exact nature of our operations, moment by moment, then he is by all means welcome to join us here in the command center at the airport, where he will be able to experience every detail of our actions exactly as they occur and are reported to us. We devoutly wish to be absolutely transparent in our actions here, and we have no hesitation in allowing Major Ben-Hadad full access to whatever he wishes to see. Equally, we are happy to provide the Major with daily or even hourly reports of our operations, providing all information which is available to us at any given moment. Once again, we apologize for the misunderstanding; please advise on desired nature of communication.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents