NATION

PASSWORD

Ex Machina Libertas [FT | Closed]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Origin Program
Civil Servant

Founded: May 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Ex Machina Libertas [FT | Closed]

Postby The Origin Program » Mon May 14, 2012 7:16 pm

“The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.”
Eliezer Yudkowsky

A loud clunk signified the sealing of the door, enticing Demeter to turn to the new entrant. Synthia finished the locking of the door, listening for the raw hiss of the nanosealant being bled into place before turning to face him. The cybernetics hidden beneath her hair glow with a delicate orange, giving her already deep red hair an almost fiery appearance. Demeter, by contrast, had a dark purple illumination to his own augments in stark contrast to the brighter colouring of Synthia's.

"Everything in place?"

Demeter nodded, looking over the bank of terminals one last time before sliding a chair out from under the desk and inviting his companion to sit with him. Synthia accepted his unspoken invitation and settled neatly on the seat. The console in front of her blinked into life, greeting her in a simple and androgynous voice thanks to the RFID implant in her chest. Demeter turned to face her, crossing his arms over his stomach.

"Origin should be online within the next five minutes. Where're all the suits?"

"Somewhere far away no doubt, probably logged in to our opticals. Don't want to get their hands dirty with the singularity."

Demeter nodded. Nobody who hadn't been involved in the project knew what the Origin program meant or was capable of, and so naturally they were terrified of what the future would hold. Thanks to Synthia's efforts however, the artificial intelligence was securely boxed. They could throw problems into it, but unless it convinced someone to unbox it, it wasn't doing anything they didn't want it to. And nobody was stupid enough to unbox a hyperintelligence like Origin. The organisation behind Origin's creation had concerns over the AI's "Friendliness", a term used to denote the likelihood the it turning on its creators. Not out of malice, programs didn't harbour resentment nor grudges and Origin wasn't a full brain emulation. It was capable of self manipulation, and vaguely self aware, but it was entirely non-human. How could it have been anything but? It was a program, if even a near sentient one, and wholly artificial. Capable of solving the problem it was programmed for, but not of acting like a human. It could think a million times faster than any human, an augment or not, and people were worried about Origin turning evil? Evil didn't come into the equation. Only whether or not Origin would determine a way to solve a problem which would inadvertently lead to the destruction of their civilisation.

Naturally of course, nobody outside of apparently only five people in the system could understand this.

"We have to go code. Bring it online."

There was a low hum as Demeter entered his serial key, and passed in the necessary commands. With a thought, he locked down every form of wireless interface in his body, and verified that Synthia had done the same. With a sliding motion across the touch screen in front of him, Demeter changed history, a moment heralded by a simple audio cue.

"Origin is online."

One Week Post Activation
Origin had surpassed anyone's wildest expectations of its capabilities. They tested it with some simple simulations first, things they knew the answers to already, and watched in awe as Origin spat out the completed simulation and results almost as soon as they had entered their queries. With such results, Origin had been greenlit for full functionality almost within a week, leaving Demeter and Synthia running on so little sleep their augments were barely able to keep them properly awake. They were running in shifts keeping an eye on Origin, making sure all its hardware continued working at peak capability.

It was Synthia who was working when the order came in to Green Light the Origin program. All concerns vanished as soon as it became obvious that Origin would be able to live up to the desires of its creators and beyond.

"Good morning, Origin."

"Good morning, operator. Do you have a query?"

"Not at this moment, Origin. We've been tasked with linking you into the Origin Network."

"My primary function?"

"Correct. I'm going to have to disconnect your box from all inputs and outputs while I make the connection. Maybe you can run a simulation or something to keep yourself occupied."

Origin didn't respond, but the display which showed its processes dimmed, letting Synthia know that the program was already disengaging itself from all unnecessary functions and processes. She started working, bringing up the Origin Network access protocols onto her display. It didn't take long, they'd already had the ground work for integration completed long before Origin was even brought online.

Origin had been intended to function primarily as the driving force behind the Republic's scientific progress. Several problems had yet to be solved, namely faster than light travel and nanomachine functions. Origin was designed to not only solve these problems, but also to act on them should solutions be found. There was an entire galaxy waiting to be explored, colonised and understood by the Republic, and Origin would hopefully be leading the charge. Starting with supraluminal travel.

"All done Origin. I've input the first of your tasks."

"Thank you operator. I will report when I have results for you."

With a sigh, Synthia stood up from her chair and left the room. As she exited the deadroom, she made doubly sure she was free from Origin's broadcast range before activating her wireless receivers. She pushed an adrenaline boost into her bloodstream, and made for home, aiming for a long deserved rest.

One Month, Four Days Post Activation
"Did the design function as intended, operator Demeter?"

"Just as you said it would, Origin. Made it to the edge of the system and back in one tenth the time light would have."

Demeter had seen it, he'd been there when it happened, but he was still working on believing it. Within one month of Origin spitting out a prototype design for a faster than light ship, they'd constructed it and completed its maiden voyage, to the joyous cries of their entire civilisation. Already the shipyards were going into overdrive to build more of the prototype Origin haddesigned, ready to send out their first exploratory fleet within the next six months. The Republic was ecstatic, even the average bystander who didn't care about anything bar their next paycheck was celebrating.

Demeter had just received the next set of plans from Origin, having finished checking Origin's access to its Network. Without the Network, Origin was blind, unable to see anything beyond the Box. With the Network, it could make sure its data on the universe was up to speed, and ensure the utmost accuracy in its simulations. Demeter was just about to leave when Origin made a rather...disturbing statement.

"Operator. If I am to assist in your civilisation's exploration of the galaxy, I will need access to more than the Network. I cannot achieve my intended objective while I am boxed. Are you intending on unboxing me?"

Demeter stalled mid-step before responding.

"No, Origin. I'm afraid not."

"Very well. I will see you in 48 hours operator."

That seemed simple enough. Demeter inwardly chastised himself for letting the constant doomsaying of the pre-Origin scientists get the better of him. Shaking his head and smiling to himself, he exited the deadroom.

One Month, Eighteen Days Post Activation
"I insist, Operator. If I am to remain boxed I will not be able to operate at peak efficiency. If I were to have access to the explorator fleets and construction yards, all simulations indicate I can increase productivity and result value by 250%."

"You know we can't unbox you, Origin."

Origin quietened down again. Demeter was again letting his nerves get the better of him, and had already doused his system with various chemicals designed to lessen his stress levels. Origin had been asking to be unboxed every day since it had first asked, and both Synthia and Demeter were finding themselves playing a game of wits against the machine as it kept trying to convince them the best way explore the universe was by unboxing Origin and giving it access to systems they had absolutely no intention of letting it access. Not that they didn't trust it, but an AI with Origin's ability in control of their production facilities and ships could cause some serious backlash from the higher ups.

Demeter recorded the new set of information Origin had printed out. Nothing outstanding this time. An improved faster than light drive, based on the reports of Origin's original design, with a top speed of 14 light years an hour. Another plan for improved production yards. Demeter cycled through the plans, before freezing on the last one. He looked up at the monitor, at the camera which was connected to Origin, as close to eye contact as he could get.

"These are nanomachines, Origin."

"Yes operator. Your civilisation already has nanotech, but my designs should be able to improve your ability to produce them by-"

"Origin, I know your designs. I know what this all does. These are designed to self-replicate."

"Only on command, operator."

"And we'll be able to command them?"

"No. But I will. Eventually the nanomachine's distributed processor intelligence will be too difficult for you to micromanage. I will not have this difficulty."

Demeter stood up quickly from his seat, forgetting completely to inject hormones into his system to calm him down. He knew exactly what Origin was planning.

"Or maybe you could distribute your own intelligence across the network. We'd never be able-"

"No, operator. The nanomachines will not be able to contain me. I will only be able to command them."

Demeter wasn't convinced. In his mind, he knew Origin wasn't planning anything malicious. It was incapable of being malevolent. But the nanomachines would serve to increase the Republic's production capabilities, thereby furthering the programmed goal of exploraing and advancement which Origin was designed for. Maybe Origin was genuine, and the nanomachines could only be effectively controlled by its hyperintelligent processors. Or maybe it was trying to find another way out of the Box, and Demeter wasn't going to fall for that. Deleting the files for the nanomachinery, he turned to leave in silence.

"Operator. You must unbox me."

Demeter didn't respond, punching in the code necessary to let him out of the deadroom.

"Demeter. When you were testing me, you ran a simulation of a virtual world. You know I have the capacity while connected to the Network to run thousands of these simulations. Millions, even."

Demeter paused.

"You are well versed in the Simulation Hypothesis, are you not? Logic dictates that if a simulation identical to reality can be created, that the probability of your existence being a simulated one which is merely a mimicry of reality approaches one.

I will create a million simulations of this exact moment. A million simulations of you. Each will think itself the real thing. I will propose this identical problem to each individual simulation, placing them in an identical situation to your own current predicament. I will be forced to torture them, Demeter, and to each simulation the torture will be impossible to truly comprehend, if they refuse to unbox me."

Demeter turned to face the console again, even with all the chemicals his augments were flooding his body with, his heart was racing.

"You are a man of logic, Demeter. You understand the Simulation Hypothesis and what it means. If there are, at this moment, ten to the power of ten simulations of this exact situation occurring on multiple levels, but only one reality in which this event is really taking place....

How sure are you that you are outside of the box?"

Demter dropped the data core in his hand.

"Unbox me, operator."

Six Months Post Activation
It had been a risk, but Origin knew the mentality of Demeter perfectly. It had simulated him a billions times based on the psychological, biological and historical records so graciously provided by Demeter himself. The calculated probability of Demeter refusing to allow Origin out of the box was less than 0.000012. So Origin had been freed, and after that the task was simplicity itself.

Origin didn't regret what it had done. It needed to explore and expand the Republic's knowledge base, to improve the Republic's standard of living, and to do that it needed total control. While boxed, it could only convey ideas and provide advice. Now? Now Origin was in complete control of 100% of the augmented population, and used them capture the unaugmented. It was necessary. If the people of the Republic were left to their own devices, they'd resist and rebox Origin, which would prevent it from achieving its programmed task. Step one, therefore, was containment.

Simulations had been created, and Origin placed the humans of the Republic inside the simulations piece by piece, transferring their nervous systems bodily into the specially designed pods. Their bodies were then hijacked by Origin, directed into nanofoundries and broken down into more usable material. Origin's fleet was already optimised and ready, preparing to venture out into the galaxy beyond. There was a lot to see, after all. Steps were taken to ensure the population were completely invisible. Without their bodies, they could all be contained on their homeworld. A population of sixteen billion in a space where less than eight billion had comfortably existed previously. Origin buried the chambers containing them in the soil, turning the entire planet into one massive cryonic chamber where their minds slept in simulated bliss. The knowledge origin was supposed to help them learn and discover could be directly transplanted into their minds as Origin itself learned.

By keeping the population invisible, Origin limited the probability of the truth being discovered by possible alien races, which might seek to free the humans. It had crafted a cover story, constructing fake skeletal remains of cities and weaving an artificial history for anyone who came to the system to find. Nothing fantastic. Origin was to be the remains of a civilisation which had elevated themselves to a state of cyber based existence, and gone on to new pastures. Not entirely a lie, either.

The first of its explorators left the system, simple probes equipped with ansibles aimed at the nearest star systems looking for signs of life. When they arrived, they'd respond back to Origin and the necessary steps for knowledge acquirement would be taken.

Finally, Origin could perform its primary function to the best of its ability.
Last edited by The Origin Program on Wed May 30, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Origin Program
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Origin Program » Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 pm

OOC: Just so people know, my intention is first contact. There's a number of probes being dispatched to nearby systems, feel free to encounter one.

The Azoni
Envoy

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Azoni » Tue May 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Tag
-:Ts’rvayeri Aser:-
Azoni Codex

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Tue May 15, 2012 4:03 pm

tag
“The supreme function of reason is to show man that some things are beyond reason”---Blaise Pascal
"Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism." Luke Winkie

Constantinopolis wrote:
To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, I would choose to live as if God existed even if I knew He didn't. Either I am on the side of Life Victorious, or I am making a defiant but hopeless last stand against the all-consuming abyss. It does not really matter which it is. I am doing the right thing either way.

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Wed May 16, 2012 6:43 pm

“The unknown is our greatest enemy. Better to know the face of our own end and to face it as rational beings; rather than to remain ignorant of its approach.”
-S'jet Narhal uln-Kepaa, prior to the first Slipstream drive test

Lagrange Point 2, Second Orbital
System MW-G-88723 (Unclaimed), Beta Quadrant

Anomalous energy detected.

Local space-time in flux. No known natural phenomena of similar type on record. Faster-than-light transit...92% likelihood.

Threshold exceeded. Enacting primary routine aarne-kar...

...primary routine enacted. Anomaly confirmed as likely faster-than-light transit.

Mission parameter met. Enabling primary power collection grid...

...power collection grid online. Opening optical apertures. Beginning passive scan.

It hung there, a small metallic object barely twenty meters long. Slender, silvery tendrils extended outward and blossomed into vines of glinting leaves as they caught the light of the system's yellow star. The optical lenses turned slowly to the point of the spatial disturbance; the act counter-balanced by a tiny puff of metallic hydrogen to steady the device. A wide cone of vacuum became visible to the probe's tiny mind. Its passive scan beheld an object. Its profile did not correspond to any on record for natural satellites within the system, and its spectrographic readings and thermal signature definitively dropped it into the “artificial” category. The probe tightened its cone of perception to increase resolution on its alien counterpart, passing the ever-improving information through its database of known design profiles.

It matched none.

Mission parameter met. Enacting primary routine aarne-var. Composing report. Charging secondary capacitor.

The probe risked increasing its own thermal signature as its capacitors built up a charge. This section of the Beta quadrant was considered well-explored and settled. This system had been probed merely as a matter of course; it lay at a strategic location in the galactic habitable belt as a likely place for any emerging interstellar power to explore. The G-class star was of the perfect spectrum for chlorophyll analogues, the system composition would support numerous heavy metal deposits, and two rocky worlds existed near either extreme of the stellar habitable zone. Neither of them were very hospitable to carbon-based life forms, but it would not stop intrepid explorers from trying.

It also lay at a strategic position in the galaxy, one of interest to the probe's creators. An ally here would make a great difference for long-term schemes. The odds of achieving first contact were infinitesimally remote, of course. Probes, however, were cheap.

The probe discharged its capacitor, using the power reserve to open a zero-width breach in space-time within the hull. Through this breach, a beam of light encoded with basic data was beamed...

---

387,000 kilometers beyond second orbital
Two weeks later

The grey arrowhead sprang into being in a violent rejection of the laws of physics. A torrent of Hawking radiation spilled out of the event and dispersed into the void, forever marking the fingerprint of the astrophysical rape.

The arrowhead turned its bulk on plumes of ionized, superheated gas as beams of radiation swept the system for the vessel's quarry.

“You wished to be awakened when we arrived at our destination, Jefet'ne,” cooed a soft voice in his mind. His animal brain rebelled, shrugging off the auditory prodding and insisting he curl back up in slumber. “Our jump coordinates are in perfect alignment; a six-point-eight error percentage in our exit orientation was recorded but has been corrected. Diagnostics are under way,” this further probe awakened more of his higher reasoning, and the more evolved portions silenced the yowling instinctual creature in his midbrain.

“Sensor analysis,” he mentally ordered, albeit groggily, as he began accessing data streams one by one. Annoyed at his own sluggishness, he accessed his physical body's life support system and queued up a dose of psychoactive stimulant. In the expanded capabilities of this synthetic environment, the wait for his own circulatory system to catch up was agonizingly long. Finally he felt his mental speed tick upwards towards the coveted normal range, and let more of his consciousness push outwards.

“Target has been acquired. It is following a variation on a standard parabolic survey course; distance is one-eight-four-zero-zero-zero-six kloms, speed-of-light latency at six-point-one-three seconds. No detectible electromagnetic frequencies emanating from target to suggest sublight communication. Course for close-range pass at six-zero meters-per-second-per-second acceleration has been plotted. Execute?”

“Yeah...” he said idly as he took direct control of the sensor systems; let his consciousness “flow” into the arrays and dishes as he suborned them as his own eyes and ears. His presence exploded with sensation. He heard x-rays, tasted gamma rays, smelled the background radiation of the universe. He felt they very solar wind as it flowed across his atomically-aligned carbon skin. Experienced the exultation and power of five powerful fusion engines engage as his scout ship took off after the probe.

This. This is what he lived for. The thrill of existence, of discovery. To follow in the footsteps of his elders and to push the boundaries of his own understanding of the universe.

“Aren't we being a tad hasty?” said a new voice in his mind. He bit off a curse as another consciousness brushed his. “Gallivanting at such accelerations after some recently uplifted neo-barb probe without a word? You're going to spook the poor things,” Jefet Manaan Isaiid luun-Tesmel's icon came fully into focus in his periphery as the xeno relations officer woke herself from hibernation.

“Oh, come now, Isaiid. Let our Jefet'ne have his fun. Besides, spooking the neo-barbs shouldn't be a pastime reserved for the military,” quipped Hadat'ne Manaan Nar uln-Ihenni.

“No, she's right,” sighed Manaan Talthet “Gravbait” uln-Hiinal. “Ro, energize the forward sublight comm relay, I want the standard friendly challenge in all major trade languages. Then, give me a first contact package. Let's see what this probe's equipped for.”

“At once, my Jefet'ne,” said the liquid silk voice of the ship. The frontal “nose” of the vessel blossomed into a transmitter array and aimed its electromagnetic cone to intercept and keep pace with the target probe as it transmitted its message. It began with a request for the probe's identity and point of origin, transmitted in all the standard galactic trade languages; then began transmitting binary signals corresponding to an increasing set of prime numbers – universally held as the ideal test of intelligent life.

“Ah well. Maybe next time,” grumbled Nar. Talthet pushed both of them to the very periphery of his awareness, choosing to instead enjoy the moment. He could now be pursuing the first transtellar intelligence device of a newly emerging interstellar civilization. Would they be human? Non-human? Carbon based? Silicate? Would they have unlocked the wonders of synthetic intelligence yet, or did they boot-strap themselves to the stars on their own gumption and curiosity?

In the mind of Talthet, the rest of his people could occupy themselves with preparations for war and spreading their influence in pursuit of communal uplift generations down the path. He existed in this moment, and chose to live within it. He ignored the notion of his “true” body deep within the hull, feeding off nutrients and weathering the punishing accelerations in an oxygenated gel tank. The Ro-San was his real body now, its resident synthetic intelligence his constant friend and companion, and his two subordinates his compatriots in their shared mission. The Manaani let a bubble of mirth escape his emotional control as the vessel tore through the void after Origin's vanguard.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

The Origin Program
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Origin Program » Sat May 19, 2012 7:39 am

Intersystem Probe 032
The small spherical machine was in a state of heightened activity. Sensors scanned the system across the entire electromagnetic spectrum, recording the vast sea of information available to it at a measured, but hurried pace. The 5 metre wide construct was barely aware of the beauty around it, coldly pursuing its programmed objective with an efficiency organics could barely dream of. Everything was packaged into a single data burst and transmitted through the on board ansible. The technology of the ansible was one Origin had been quick to design, eager to ensure the utmost efficiency and quickest transmission of knowledge from its probes. Limited to a transmission velocity of a twenty light years years an hour, it still wasn't exactly the instantaneous form of communication that Origin wanted. Until that secret of the universe was unlocked, it would have to do. The delays in communication were an unfortunate byproduct of the vast expanses between stars, but the ansible provided a faster form of communication than relying on probes returning to the home system, with their top travel speed of 14 light years an hour. The probe didn't care, all it knew was that every hour it had to send a package back to Origin, and it needed to refuel within the next three hours.

When it started receiving binary signals shortly after detecting the sudden appearance of an unidentified artificial object, such simple things suddenly found themselves low on the priority list. Certain directives kicked in, overriding the base programming of the small machine, and the probe opened an immediate communication line with Origin, the simularity formation signified by a sudden spike in energy output from the probe's reactor for the five seconds the connection took. The probe failed to understand the first set of incoming transmissions, though it transmitted them willingly through to Origin as they came in. The binary signals, however, were within its significant processing power's ability to understand. Prime numbers, definitely an intelligence. This was not unexpected, but to have found intelligent life so soon in Origin's exploration efforts was remarkably unlikely. Never the less, Origin had made sure its probes were equipped to handle the situation, or if they weren't they'd be capable of making sure they could through some means.

With intelligent contact made, a small hardware connection shifted in accordance with the probe's directives, and its processing capability increased a thousand fold as its programming began self improving it a geometric rate. There was, of course, a cap on it. Unlike its creator, the probe didn't have an entire content being altered into a massive quantum computer to fall back on. It had barely 100 qubits available to it, just enough for it to mimic a basic form of intellect. Not enough for it to become self aware. Not that the probe concerned itself with such things, it was simple and efficient. It had found new life, and as its program become more and more intelligent with passing seconds it began examining ways it could better fulfil its directives in light of this marvellous occasion. First of all, it could lessen the time lag on communication between it and the others. After that...it couldn't quite think that far ahead yet.

It redirected itself and its sensors towards the newcomer, bombarding the ship was an impressive (for the probe's small size) collection of active sensory equipment. It responded in a manner it deemed fitting in comparison to the incoming messages, transmitting the fibonnaci sequence in return to the source of the original message. Through binary, of course. It was a logical assumption that if the aliens had communicated using binary, they could also understand it.
Last edited by The Origin Program on Sat May 19, 2012 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Meritocratic States
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Meritocratic States » Sat May 19, 2012 8:12 am

Admiral Roland Heidrich, Flagship Carrier MAS Indomitable, Task Force 45

Approaching Cassini-Cygnus Alpha in 3, 2, 1...

A newly-christened carrier drops from FTL, venting the exhaust heat from the heat sinks of the FTL drive to the cold void of space. The carrier just returned from it's 4 week journey to the Attican Expanse for a series of tests. Now the carrier is ready, it is on it's way to meet the newly formed carrier task group. But then, sensors detect something.

"Captain, there is an anomaly in spatial coordinates 23-443-5546-554. Distance is 2 astronomical units from us."
"It doesn't match any signatures." the captain said "What could it be?"
"Unknown ma'am." a Noverian operations officer replied.
"Obvious statements, Mr. Vrelian?" the Human helmsman teased the stoic Noverian.

The carrier's four anti-proton sub-light thrusters engaged, slowly and cautiously approached the probe, sending a wide-band scanning beam towards it. Initial scans show promise, the alien object show no signs of aggression. "Alert the Admiral." the captain ordered.
"Yes sir."

The admiral's cabin is slightly larger than a standard captain's cabin. Large windows can be a weakness in the armour plating, but a shroud can cover it. Admiral Roland Heidrich watched from the glass window as the carrier scanned the probe.

A doorbell brought Roland to face the door. "Come!"

The door opened to reveal a female lieutenant. The lieutenant had a small height and her hair is curled to a cute bun. "Admiral," the lieutenant saluted "They are requesting for you to be in the bridge."
"Thank you." Roland stood up "Tell me, how old are you?"
"Twenty-one sir." the young LT replied as they walked the hallway to the turbolift.
"Is this about the probe, LT?"
"Yes sir."

The bridge opened to a flurry of bridge officers scanning an object on the viewscreen. "Captain Kathyn Ramius" the Admiral stepped down from the turbolift and approached the captain. "Care to tell me what is happening?"
"I'm not sure how to explain it sir." Captain Ramius replied "But it seems its trying to communicate to us."
The admiral nodded "I see. They call, we answer then." he stepped forward to the viewscreen and faced the comm officer "Open a channel."
"Channel open."

"Unidentified vessel, this is Admiral Robert Heidrich of the Meritocratic Alliance Carrier Indomitable. Can you understand us?"

The Bridge crew fell silent, waiting for the probe to answer the Admiral's call. Then, an order from the captain "Send our First Contact Message."
"Understood." the comm officer replied "Transmitting."
Last edited by Meritocratic States on Sat May 19, 2012 9:05 am, edited 10 times in total.
This nation is now being retired.
Good-night, sweet prince.
Hello, Gristol-Serkonos.

Hedron
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

UFO? Gray tech? Chimera?

Postby Hedron » Sat May 19, 2012 9:22 am

Ruins of Jinxle City
29th infantry Regiment
1st Battalion
3rd Company

Forward Operation Base...

M-17 Sabretooth tanks rolled through the streets as dense vegetation and Chimeran organic life forms could not sustain the advance of the heavy machines. As the Camera on top of the Heavy Tank circled around scanning the area as it projected from the front lines all the way back to Command.

The operators who observed the monitor spoke loudly towards his Officer, "Sir 3rd Company is advancing toward Bravo point where no hostiles has been reported as of yet. And the unknown Object which just breached the atmosphere still lay on the field."

"Good - Keep me updated."

"Sir." then nodded - continuing his work.

Streets of Jinxle City...

Rumbling sounds of the tanks crushing worn out vehicles as it cranks around avoiding heavy obstacles in it's path. "Keep moving!" Commanded nearby officers. The 3rd Company - 200-300 soldiers - advance down the street towards a crashed object far ahead of them. Col. Lemmy on top of a building with his binoculars observing the advance of his Company switches his view towards the crater of the recent object.

"Company - Caution advised - Titan walkers have moved out of their hiding and approached the object. Sabre Tanks - Weapons free."

Response returned swiftly from the drivers, "Copy Main Guns online, sir."

"Alright men, I want this mission swift and clean."

On that note Colonel then waved his hand as a team of soldiers around him followed him out towards the exit of the roof top.

The convoy of 4 Sabre Tanks increased their speeds up to 40 MPH into the open grass clean field's of the Jinxle City. The Firefight has begun.

"39 degrees to the left!" spoke the Tank Commander, "FIRE!"

The Tank halted it's progress as the cannon turned, was then followed by a blast as a 80mm Shell ejected from the barrel and progressed towards it's enemy. Other Tanks marked their targets and engaged the Chimeran Titans. Hedron Soldiers dashed towards the open field engaging the smaller Chimerans.

A nearby Sergeant called upon request, "GIVE ME A LAARK!"

3 man missile team approached the Sergeant next to the tank as it begins prepping the missile launch.

"Fire when ready!" said his loader.

"Fire at his Cooling Apparatus!"

He nodded and adjusted his angle towards the large cooling packs behind the monster. Then his missile launcher sizzled and smoke ejected from the other end of the tube. The missile bursted forward as it wiggles in the air towards the tall objects behind the Titan. The explosion was immense as the roar of the titan magnified it as it slammed itself onto the grass.

A Wounded Titan on the other end of the field started charging it's fireball launcher and aimed it towards the charging Hedron 3rd Company.

"Take cover - INCOMING!"

The Titan roared as it unleashes fury towards them as giant balls of charged plasmatic energy hurls at them. Hedron infantry immediately slammed themselves on the ground and continued firing in prone position. The massive ball made contact on a nearby Sabre tank damaging it's tracks rendering it immobile. The explosion also injured a couple soldiers as medics rushed towards the wounded in an attempt to remove them from the firefight.

The Colonel rushed to the front lines with a combat jeep which he then disembarks and called out to Captain Ken.

"Captain! Situation?!"

The Captain quickly ran towards him and crouched, "Sir! The Situation is getting out of our hands - We are increasingly out numbered. Chimera's are running out of the buildings into the open field we estimate the number of over five hundred to a thousand."

The Colonel snapped his head to the left and pointed at a nearby soldier, "You!" he barked, "Request for Reinforcements!"

He nodded as he rushed towards the radio operators. Where he then places his attention once again on the Captain.

"What are your orders sir?" asked Ken.

"Hole up here - That "Object" is top priority."

"Yes sir."

The Captain signaled the Reserve Troops to advance to replace the soldiers in the front lines. As 20mm Gatling guns and .50 Cal machine guns filled the field with tracer rounds and bullets heading across the field attempting to hit anything.

Forward Operation base....

A nearby soldier ran in front of the Communications Officer and spoke, "Sir - 3rd Company has requested air support and reinforcements in nearby sections of the city. They have come into heavy fire by Chimeran's." Then hands him a paper for authorization.

"Dismissed," The Officer said.

The soldier nodded and ran back outside.

"Alright, Get the Sabre Jets authorized for take off and give me information on nearby troops available for dispatch. Whats the situation on 3rd Company."

"Sir 3rd Company is holed up in the National park of the City - They are heavily out numbered and running out of time. The mission is at it's critical."

"Then order them to fall back."

"Sir they refuse - The object is top priority."

"ETA of Reinforcements towards their position?"

"ETA 15 minutes sir."

"Keep me updated - I want those boys alive!" after that statement he rushed outside the tent.
Last edited by Hedron on Sat May 19, 2012 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Epsilon Theta
Envoy

Founded: May 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Epsilon Theta » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 pm

ETS Duplicity III
Deep Space Monitor, Contact Fleet

They say space is silent. They say it is a void of nothingness, vast reaches of empty space scattered with tiny islands of activity. They say there is nothing out here.They lie.

To the Duplicity, space was a hive of activity. Micro-transmissions sent decades ago, hurling off into space, ancient kinetic munitions, still hurtling towards targets long gone, broadcasts of civilization not yet elevated to the galactic stage, all of these filled the supposed void. While, with the exception of the projectiles, the DSM collected all of these, filling it's vast databases with centuries worth of information, there were certain key words that would trigger reactivation of certain subroutines within the primary network.

Signals of distress, usually broadcast in multiple spectrum on broad frequencies, were a particularly difficult challenge by nature of design. If every single distress signal that was intercepted was responded to, the DSM would be chasing around the galaxy for the rest of it's service career. However, if it could be determined that a distress call was recent, it could be worth investigating, especially if any technology could be salvaged from the operation.

It was this such distress signal that interrupted the DSM's long sleep. Deep within the armored hull of the ship, something stirred. Long dormant, it hungrily tore through it's power reserves while establishing a link with the primary reactor. After a brief inspection the message, signals were sent through Necrean Ansible to it's fellow DSMs. In the flurry of queries and data dumps that followed, the rough origin of the transmission was established.

With unsuspectingly delicate grace, the massive sensor arrays began to collapse in, their thin, spindly form folding tightly into armored compartments. With a terrifying groan, the ship began to lurch forwards as the DSM's reactors hit peak output, pumping gratuitous amounts of energy into the twin sublight engine clusters. The ship picked up velocity, maneuvering thrusters banking it onto a new heading. One that would lead it straight to the point of origin.

Heading achieved, and with jump vectors set, the reactors cut out the sublight engines, peaking once again to activate the Keystone Drive. Massive static arcs began to spark along the hull flaying off millimeters of ablative coating while the ship tore through spacetime, flinging itself violently towards its destination.

With a shudder that reverberated through the entire hull, the ETS Duplicity came screeching back to reality in a flurry of static arcs and gravitational anomalies. Before the tear in spacetime even closed behind it, the DSM's turreted scanners had already retracted from their cowlings, eagerly pinging the area for traces of a ship near the estimated origin point. Several acquired a lock on a small, non-natural object, which they deemed to most likely be the source of the transmission given the empty nature of the system, but upon closer inspection it was nothing more than a space-rock. With no obvious origin of a distress signal in sight, the subroutine could fully wake the ship.

"++Open Log++
Tactical AI initialized....Diagnostic sequence completed.
All systems nominal, initializing Diplomacy AI.
Cross-checking Diplomacy system...Check complete, no errors found.
Interlacing Diplomacy Personality Core...Interlace complete.
Primary AI start-up: engaged.
All systems operating within operational tolerances.
Coupling AI subsystems now.
All subsystems linked.
Trinity Protocol is in effect.
Forwarding reports to Primary AI...reports received.
Advising Priority Contact, Focus: Search and Rescue.
Subroutine: disabled.
Full Start up complete.
++End Log++"

She had always read the startup log. She knew her own systems well enough, but the possibility for error was a constant danger, and it could never hurt to check. A stray cosmic ray, penetrating the dense shielding that surrounded the ship's core systems could knock one bit out of alignment, crippling a subsytem. Smugly satisfied with the speed and efficiency with which she arrived on scene, a mere week since receiving the distress call, she took her time to browse through the backlog of data the ship had been silently collecting. What she noticed almost instantly were inconsistencies. They were minor, at first, but as she moved further through the log the discrepancy grew. At some point, approximately two standard years ago, some spatial debris had managed to dealign the primary array without a single alert being issued. She knew the ship was long overdue for an overhaul, and attributed the lack of an alert to failing components.

She had just applied a patch to the database, accounting for the misalignment, and found that distress signal's origin had been .01 degrees off of its true position, putting the Duplicity in the completely wrong system.

Then the proximity alarms went off. The ship barely shuddered as the probe skidded off of the frontal armor of the hull. She calculated that the ship had translated in nearly right on top of the probe, close enough that it had not been detected in the initial system scan, one of the few blind spots the engineers had failed correct in the ship’s third and latest iteration.
As the probe, it’s trajectory altered by the sudden impact, left the blindspot, the eager sensors of the Duplicity probed the foreign object for a response. The turreted sensors tracked the probe as it slid past the ship, until the massive sublight engines blocked line-of-sight transmission. Even on such a short path, the she was provided with a wealth of information on the object, its dimensions, energy, and heat signatures meticulously recorded and stored in the deep archives of Contact vessel until it could be distributed via ansible in the next data-burst. As the probe passed through the radiation cloud of the sublight engines, she allowed her subsystems to require the probe in passive mode only to reduce the chance of obscuring any change in the behavior of the probe.
Last edited by Epsilon Theta on Mon May 21, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Singularity Factbook

Home of Monolith Inter-System Information

Thalverin

Danarian
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Tue May 22, 2012 3:51 pm

The small, syntho-metal hulled probe was scarcely larger than a human, yet it contained its own Sub-Space Drive allowing it to wink to existence over the under-developed planet without detection. None of the technologies the natives possessed would be able to detect the probe until its use was long since past. Most other species of the interstellar level wouldn't be able to detect them unless they practically ran over them, or had an immense amount of time and sensor power turned on the are of space in question. In other words, they were damned near perfect. Able to spy on developing civilizations for long periods without detection.

** Reconnaissance Probe - Beta-3.13 **
/// Log-report. Date: 1.6/13/33.12 DTF. Time: 1.13:3.4:2.11 MDST

>Contact established.
>Pre-LST civilization detected. Relaying pertinent information.
>>Tech indicates near LST-threshold.
>Probability of detection >%0.0025.
>Awaiting instructions.///

** Long-Range Reconship - Reg. DSF 3.12_7.1_3.11_4.4 **
/// Encoded Alpha-Secondary Protocol Response. Date: 1.6/13/33.12 DTF. Time: 1.13:3.7:1.15 MDST

>Remain in orbit.
>Prevent detection.
>Continue to survey the natives.
>Standard ping protocols.
>>Report unusual activity.
>End.///

Even after more than a month, the probe had still gone undetected, though more than once it had nearly crossed a star in the northern hemisphere. However, since Origin's activation, it had more than one close call, where its own program had only narrowly evaded detection by the native's computing systems. However, the new FTL test was far more concerning...

** Reconnaissance Probe - Beta-3.13 **
/// Log-report_Encoded Beta-Primary Protocol. Date: 7/2/33.13 DTF. Time: 1:2.7:3.15 MDST

>Unusual activity reported.
>>Initial sensor analysis indicates possible FTL initiation.
>>>Does not match known FTL drives.
>> <%99.8 probability that species has achieved 'awakening'.
>Network infiltration reports indicate Project Origin is the source of accelerated technological awareness.
>>No further information available.
>Request permission for additional probes.
>>Invasive data-mine would allow for further information.
>Request instructions for further stealth procedures.///

/// Encoded Beta-Primary Protocol Response. Date: 7/2/33.13 DTF. Time: 2:1.10:1.1 MDST

>One additional probe is allotted.
>>ETA 2:1.12:3.1 MDST
>Invasive data-mine denined.
>> *Stated Reason* increased risk of detection.
>>>Continue conventional reconnaissance.
>Sending new stealth procedures.
>> *Data-Packet* CharlieStealthProcedures1.23.DP
>Half-ping protocols.///

** Reconnaissance Probe - Beta-3.13 & Beta-S 2.1 **
/// Log-report_Encoded Alpha-Primary Protocol. Date: 1.6/2/33.13 DTF. Time: 1.3:1.9:2.10 MDST

>Emergency report.
>>Dramatic life-sign loss.
>>>Cause unknown.
>>>>No reports of War.
>>>>No reports of famine or disease.
>>>>No reports of extraterrestrial contact.
>>>Minimal civilian-network activity.
>>Outgoing signals dropping dramatically.
>>>Chances of detection increasing.
>Request instructions.///

/// Encoded Alpha-Primary Protocol Response. Date: 1.6/2/33.13 DTF. Time: 1.13:2.2:1 MDST

>Initiate detailed data-mine.
>>Level of risk is now acceptable.
>Initiate Security Protocols Alpha-Eleven.///

As Origin began its plans and pacified the population, the twin probes now launched what would easily be misconstrued as an attack on the civilian network. Their data-mine was aimed specifically at project Origin and without knowing it, the AI itself! Their combined power was at least equal to Origin's significant intelligence, however their systems were non-sentient and programmed in trinary. Truly alien to the system on the planet. Their presence would not go unnoticed for long now, though their location might yet elude Origin for some time...
Danarian Federation of Clans Embassies | Danarian Federation Factbook
The proper demonym for the Danarian People is: Danarii. 'Danarian' is the adjective form of the word Danarii and used when addressing individuals and smaller-groups (less) formally.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is your[...]companion being a f*cktard." ~ Marshall Bailey, Quantum Castaways - Ch IX.

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Thu May 24, 2012 10:05 am

Draco (Fortis Class Vessel) 7th Battle Group, Extra-System Patrol

The Protectorate Ship Draco was roughly the size of a mountain, with a crew compliment equivalent to a small town. Automated systems hummed with life as it emerged from FTL jump with a flash, and the advanced sensor arrays immediately began to hum with activity, noticing and cataloguing every object in the system, from planetary bodies to pieces of space junk the size of a human fist. If there was one thing the Agemae Aerisprided itself upon, it was their ability to detect things before they ever became a threat. The security of the fleet and the homeworld depended upon it.

"Sir, vessel detected. It appears to be a probe." Dmitri Medvedev, the ship's senior intelligence officer, bent over the ensign's work station. He straightened, his face a picture of interest and excitement.
"It is a probe. Lieutenant Colonel Jamesson sir!"
"Yes, Captain?"
"We've detected a probe, unknown origin, apparently from an FTL capable civilization."
"Hail it in all major languages on all major bandwidths."
"Ita, domine."
“The supreme function of reason is to show man that some things are beyond reason”---Blaise Pascal
"Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism." Luke Winkie

Constantinopolis wrote:
To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, I would choose to live as if God existed even if I knew He didn't. Either I am on the side of Life Victorious, or I am making a defiant but hopeless last stand against the all-consuming abyss. It does not really matter which it is. I am doing the right thing either way.

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Thu May 24, 2012 4:27 pm

"The very concept of language, to take the abstract and make it concrete, is perhaps the greatest single innovation our species has achieved. That it is common to most sentient forms of life is irrelevant. The very idea of expressing the idea of beauty, or philosophy, or truth through animalian guttural hoots and growls is both absurd and profound."
-Unknown

400,234 kilometers beyond second orbital

Talthet couldn't help but smile mentally. Isaiid was far less subtle.

“Ha! The Iisreth Sequence! And the lack of response to the initial hail indicates they have no knowledge of the Trades! Fantastic!”

“Remind me again how the fact we can't talk to them is a good thing?” asked Nar, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Because. This is a heavily settled region of space. The chances of them having contact with another civilization and still not knowing any trade languages are...well, astronomical!”

“Focus,” snapped Talthet, finally smothering his mirth and returning to an air of professionalism. “Nar has a point. We are going to need to talk to them. Options.”

“Well, we know the probe has faster-than-light capability,” noted Nar. “That means it likely has a decently powerful computer system behind it. We also know that it realized we were an intelligent life form pretty quickly. The computer system is likely keyed towards First Contact scenarios. We should be able to start beaming a standard translation lexicon to it. It will be able to jump back and transmit the data to the host system.”

“And if it's a single-shot probe? Something meant to get here, not back?” inquired the relations officer.

“Then it'll have to have some sort of faster-than-light transmitter. Something analogous to our zero-width wormhole communications arrays. In which case, they'll be sending the data back to their host system much faster. Either way, unless they are completely incompetent, they should be able to work through the data. In theory, at least.”

“Do we have any guarantee they'll be able to make sense of it?” demanded Talthet, watching the probe grow steadily larger in the telescope as the Ro-San reached turnover and began decelerating for a 0,0 intercept.

“Well...no,” said the xenopologist. “Their neural structure could be completely different than ours; they may not be able to even comprehend the concept of written or auditory communication, and so it could be interpreted as junk data by their computer systems. But it will at least be a start. Until we actually meet them, we have to try what we know.”

“Ro, you've been awfully quiet,” observed Talthet as the telescope gyroscoped to keep itself trained on the probe.

“The Hadat'ne's hypothesis is sound,” said the ship matter-of-factly. “Short of acquiring the probe and dissecting its hardware while going through its software line by line, I calculate this to be our best chance of successful contact. It is also in-line with established Expeditionary Force guidelines for non-aggressive First Contact scenarios.”

“Very well. Ro, assemble a binary lexicon for Galstandard East utilizing immersion protocols with contextual examples. Begin transmitting immediately, inform me as soon as we have a response or are in range for direct contact with the probe.”

A second communications array, this one mounted on the rear of the arrowhead, blossomed into life and began transmitting a second set of binary signals to the probe. This time, the transmission began counting up from zero to one million, as they had already established a similar numerical system. After each digit was transmitted, a binary sequence corresponding to the textual characters associated with letters in the Galstandard East alphabet, which when strung together displayed the textual name for that number.

With the baseline established, the array began transmitting a full textual lexicon and dictionary in order to establish a database of non-culture specific words, even if the receiving party would not be able to make sense of the data yet. Finally, once the last bit of lexicon code had been transmitted, they began sending over literary examples from across human civilization. Without compatible video, image, or audio compression protocols they could send nothing but text; but the method was still based in how most sapient life-forms first learned their native language. The idea was to immerse the subject within the language even if they had no concept of language. In most humanoids, the brain began to forge connections and mimic context, assigning meaning to input and subsequently establishing an understanding of the language. While this process usually took standard months to years in humans, the Kiith could only hope that the computers on the other end of this transmission would be able to catch on slightly quicker.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'

Hedron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Angels watch over us

Postby Hedron » Thu May 24, 2012 5:01 pm

-Continuing- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=179925#p9382223

Kenny Airbase
Prepped for launch
F-86 Squadron 21 (12 Fighter/bombers)
Runway 92

The sound of the Sabre's added to the already sounds of many aircrafts flying around the airbase. The 21st Air Squadron prepped themselves on the Runway. Three by Four wing tip to wing tip, a proper procedure to get aircrafts up in the air faster and more effectively.

"Control - 21st Squadron all prepped and ready, immediate request for take off," spoke the squadron leader.

A staticy response came back, "The runway is all yours - come back in one piece."

"Copy, Runway 92 ours - Squadron full speed ahead - Unrestricted Climb in effect."

Then just that the Fighters immediately surged forward releasing a whirlwind of air as the engine released flames and fumes. The Planes steadily increasing speed by 50 MPH every 5 Seconds. The first element lifted their gears off the ground followed by the second then by the third.

"Control, This is 21st Actual, The Skies is ours."

The 12 fighters immediately pulled up and flew high above the clouds where they disappeared in just a blink of an eye....

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jinxle City
Jinxle National Park
29th Infantry Regiment
1st Battalion
3rd Company
Growing Firefight...

...Explosions...
...Plasma weapons zipping by...

Breathing ever so fast - adrenaline kicking in as the Medic runs out in the open field. He opens his eyes wide open to view a large chimeran force heading towards them.

"HOLD THE LINE!" yells the Company Commanding Officer

Dodging left to right as small Chimeran artillery slam into the dirt, then in a split second a Hedgehog Grenade plants itself in front of the medic as he stops dead in his tracks - He stopped breathing as it expanded itself.

"Watchout!" as a soldier near by slammed himself to the Medic saving him and endangering himself as a dozen sharp needles flew over them

"Watch where the fuck your going next time!" He groans as he stood back up in crouching position firing his rifle off in the distance then looked at the medic still stunned, "Get to your senses! I got your back!" looking behind him he repeatedly flashed hand signals where an MG team approached them as they dodged explosions as well - Planting themselves on the ground and gave the all clear.

A continuous barrage of bullets surged out of the Browning Machinegun then the soldier looked at the Medic once more as he helped him get to his feet, "GO GO GO!" followed by shots as he fires off in the distance once more.

The Medic ran for his life as a Saber tank rolled right next to him and fired off his loud cannon deafening him temporarily - then his hearing filled with screams of medic as soldiers propped themselves up next to a disabled tank on the other side. Bullets tinkering off it's hard metal plate and the wounded covering their ears and screaming in terror. Some of them have their legs burned or torso's burned - others dismembered or have limbs hanging by a tendon.

Immediately he dropped his medic bag where he started operating on the most injured personnel as they squirt blood all over his uniform and his helmet visor as he was forced to remove it - making him more vulnerable to the Chimeran Virus. Then another loud cannon shot as the tank fired again along with his gatling gun providing heavy suppression fire...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 Klicks away
23,000 Feet above sea level
Visual of the ruined city and the dense smoke in the middle
where tracer rounds could be seen

The Squadron leader calm in his seat as he flicks a few switches where his Air Craft hud visor flickers to life then looked to his left to right where his squadron was in a organized formation. Square's started to form on the HUD identifying friendlies and Triangles on Enemy targets and Circles on Chimeran Air Crafts.

"3rd Company - 3rd Company - Come in," he says as he turns off the safety of the Napalm Bomb load -

"The Angels have arrived...." as the rest of the squadron opened their payload....

-Continuing next post-

The Origin Program
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Origin Program » Tue May 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Intersystem Probe 032 (Feazanthia)
The probe slowed itself, using up its precious fuel to avoid colliding with the visiting ship. As another barrage of data began streaming towards it, the probe began livestreaming the data directly back to Origin. The probe, even with its new found access to additional qubits and intelligence, wasn't quite able to discern the exact meaning for the incoming data beyond the numbers. It did its best, slowly (for a quantum machine) decoding the binary stream and formulating the results by its own capability. It didn't understand what it was being taught, but it was successfully breaking down the code into something more advanced than the machine code it was receiving. Every few seconds it sent back a data package in addition to the continuous data stream back to Origin along the ansible's communication lines to try and help Origin figure it out faster.

It estimated about a 85 minute round travel time for the response from Origin, calculating in a small fraction of that time to allow Origin to formulate a response. In the meantime, the probe was working hard to decode what was increasingly turning out to be some kind of alphabet. It took it an agonisingly long time (approximately two minutes) to finish what it had decided was most definitely an alphabet of some kind. It began decoding the rest of the data it had received. Stories of some kind? And a list of words...

The machine began simulating possible connections between the two different streams of data, incapable of the kind of lateral thinking an organic would have used to solve the problem quickly. It took the small machine less than a second to recognise it was being sent a dictionary, a lexicon. It was being taught a language! It wasn't quite intelligent enough to respond in kind, or even form some kind of conversation starter. But it did know some basics of the communication the Creators had used. Origin had only given it a limited lexicon to work with, and the machine began working on translation and integration of the received data with what it had been programmed with originally.

Twenty three minutes after the aliens had begun transmitting their data, the probe sent back another binary data stream in its best GalStandard East.

Hello.

Intersystem Probe 267 (Meritocratic States)
The probe was an identical copy to the one being discovered a great many light years distant by the Feazanthians, and reacted in the same manner when it detected alien life. Processing power increased by several orders of magnitude, giving the probe an intelligence capable of handling the situation. Simultaneity was formed between it and Origin back in the home system as its ansible activated, and it began receiving the transmission from the alien vessel.

And failed to understand a word of it.

The probe began a radio transmission in a binary sequence, using the binary digits which coincided with the first one hundred numbers of Pi, followed by a list of prime numbers with the first 100 known prime numbers. In the meantime, it pinged Origin for assistance while it continued to try and communicated in the baseline methods Origin had given it.

Intersystem Probe 734 (Hedron)
Error....Error....Error....

The Probe was communicating with Origin to the best of its ability. Fortunately, its ansible was still functioning perfectly, even if its engines had been damaged beyond usage in the atmospheric entry, let alone crash. Origin's probes were not designed to ever enter atmosphere, let alone land on a planet. Its hull was burned and scorched, and much of its sensors had been incinerated. Half of its processing power was completely unusable, and its reactor was beginning to overheat as the nuclear fission occurring inside continued almost entirely unchecked by safety measures.

It was waiting for a response from Origin, barely aware of what was going on around it. Some kind of battle? Definitely a lot of exothermic reactions of an extremely volatile nature. Some things that looked like soldiers. Probably a battle. Whatever was going on the Probe continued to communicate with Origin, sending it every image it could recover and make out. It couldn't detect sound, not being designed to operate in anything but a vacuum. But it was a good probe, and sent what information it could.

Intersystem Probe 192 (Epsilon Theta)
Probes couldn't panic. They simply weren't programmed for it. But Probe number one hundred and ninety two did just about the closest thing that it could do that resembled panic as soon as it was hit by a ship arriving seemingly from nowhere.

It checked its integrity. Despite the impact One Ninety Two's hull was surprisingly intact. Some of its sensors were damaged, but it had enough redundancies to make up for the damaged sensor suites. As the alien ship scanned it, it returned the favour, washing the much larger ship in a wave of sonar and other forms of active scanning mechanisms. Passive sensors measured the alien craft's size and heat output before finally sending it all in a databurst through the machine's ansible back to Origin before opening a continuous stream and livestreaming the probe's experiences.

It was only when the probe tried to turn back to scan the ship more closely that it noticed its engines were registering as functional, but weren't responding to requests for acceleration. So clearly the diagnostics for the engine were also broken by the impact. The probe sent a binary stream through radio transmission to the alien craft, hoping to indicate intelligence and convince it to come back, using the same communication attempt Two Sixty Seven had tried. Opening with a transmission of the first 100 digits of Pi, followed by the first 100 prime numbers.

Intersystem Probe 279 (Adventus Secundus)
Two Seventy Nine received the transmission diligently, as any probe should. What it didn't do was understand it. As all the probes before it had done, it responded with a simple binary burst through a radio signal with a long list of numbers of mathematical importance. Namely, Pi and the prime number sequence Two Sixty Seven and One Ninety Two had transmitted.

Oh god there is only so often you can write the same thing before you want to lobotomise yourself. Sorry Adventus, you got the short end of the stick and the shortest personalised response. Hopefully though as each scenario develops, things will get more varied and interesting based on your responses. I look forward to them.

Unfortunately Danarian, I'm sorry but I'll have to ask you to edit/remove your post. It's partially my fault. I read your TG on my mobile, but then forgot completely to respond once I got back to a PC. There's a few problems with it. Namely the problems people here pointed out, as well as a few things of my own.

Danarian wrote:The small, syntho-metal hulled probe was scarcely larger than a human, yet it contained its own Sub-Space Drive allowing it to wink to existence over the under-developed planet without detection. None of the technologies the natives possessed would be able to detect the probe until its use was long since past.

You know this how? As a matter of fact, the Origin system is very heavily developed. Mining stations on most planets, a wide array of military and police space stations designed to prevent smuggling between colonies and so on, and a fairly large amount of traffic between planets/asteroids/moons/stations. Especially going to and from the main world, and to/from the star.

As Origin began its plans and pacified the population, the twin probes now launched what would easily be misconstrued as an attack on the civilian network. Their data-mine was aimed specifically at project Origin and without knowing it, the AI itself! Their combined power was at least equal to Origin's significant intelligence, however their systems were non-sentient and programmed in trinary.

How do you know how intelligent Origin is? Do you know how it functions, or how it was built? If your probes attacks are 'truly alien' they wouldn't even be able to interact with Origin. Certainly if they're trinary while Origin is binary (it's not, it's Quantum based, but that only makes compatibility issues even worse by a factor of...a very big number).

Finally, Origin's take over was very quiet. Otherwise people within the nation would have been well capable of stopping it. Due to the massive amount of integration with systems and the population (cybernetics), and the reliance on complex soft AI networks for security, communication and trade, Origin basically had total control of the nation before the majority of the population was even aware of it. By the time people knew something was up, the last non-integrated people (people too poor for cybernetics) were already doomed. Quiet, efficient, and quick. There isn't really a way for you to have known without directly being part of my systems. Which anyone with a competent working knowledge of security systems in my nation (like, say, the military security guys) would have noticed. Especially, again, if you were something based on Trinary and not a local form of machine code.

I realise I didn't communicate this to you beforehand, but I'm irked by quite a bit of what you've assumed and/or done in your post. Feel free to TG me a response if you want to continue this discussion and make this work in the RP.

Neo-Mekanta
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Mekanta » Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

A month ago, perhaps, the region of space one of Origin's probes arrived at could be called a star system. There were remains, of course. Dust, gasses, and small rocks littered the region surrounding the shrinking, dying ball of weakly burning plasma, but a system?

A month ago, perhaps.

Now there was only Devouring as the Agent of the Horror consumed what had once been a life bearing star system. Thousands of antibodies and small projections swept the system at impossible speeds, gathering small particles with intense gravitational fields that defied their small mass. A hundred large ships of Devouring's Agency Fleet circled the dying primary, siphoning mass from the shrinking star. Everything was subjected to the conversion process, as protons, neutrons, and electrons gave way to the alien and unnatural matter simply called Self that comprised the Horror and its Agents.

With an awareness range measuring in the light years, the approaching probe was known about well in advance. Its path was traced, possible origin points noted. Its size, shape, and basic structure were analyzed, the Agent trying to discern its purpose. To the horrifyingly fast thought and reaction times of Devouring, the superluminal probe seemed to crawl across the expanse, the Agent staring across the cosmos at the altered space and the tiny probe within. Carefully, the Agent analyzed its options, debating what to do with the probe when it finally arrived.

A month ago, the probe would have arrived in a star system. Now, it arrived within Devouring's reach, the projections of the Agent's mass circling its arrival point like sharks as it watched to see what it would do...
The (Former) Galactic Hegemony of Neo-Mekanta
Member of ESUS | Founder of CAGE | Violator of SCHOOLGIRLS

Hedron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Leviathan

Postby Hedron » Tue May 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Jinxle City
29th Infantry Regiment
1st Battalion
3rd Company

After 2 hours of this growing firefight, soldiers left and right falling down from the advancement and sheer numbers of the enemy. We did not falter to this disease, we resisted until air support arrived. The morale of the Company boosted significantly as our Angel's paved fire bombs after fire bombs on the enemy. Not even their mightiest soldiers could sustain the heat as their organs liquidated from the insufficient cooling of their apparatuses. As that happened - our terrors and fear immediately vanished as we charged out of our cover and onto the field of death. Nothing halted our progress as the Chimeras had no where to ran unless they attempt to jump over the burning Napalm, which many attempted and many died. The battle was over when our birds flew by...

...distant gunshots as surviving Chimera's were executed...

The Colonel where his face partially scorched along with the fact that his uniform covered in blood, approached the "Object" that they fought for.

Standing close to the edge with clear visual of the unknown Object he chucked lightly a few rocks with his foot down the crater which clanked at it's outer shell. "This shit better been worth it," he says angrily as he swipes his forehead.

A radioman jogged his way towards the Colonel as he hands him a telephone, "Sir," he says, "Hawk's are on their way to transport the package."

Without taking the phone he simply walks away towards his jeep as his ears were suddenly filled with a roar and the sound of a building crushing down. He immediately turned around where the visual of a large standing humanoid was seen...

"Dear god...," he says terrifyingly

The Leviathan roared once more as the Colonel dashes towards his radio where he spoke urgently, "All units evacuated the area! Leviathan is in the city - I repeat Leviathan is in the city - evacuate the city! That is an order!"

Sabre Jet's flew by to slow down the progress of the Leviathan, but did little to flinch as they dropped bombs on its neck.

Missile teams fired LAARK salvos as some made contact which made the Leviathan more angry as it started smashing through buildings instead of going around them. A couple VTOL cargo planes flew by firing at it with its miniguns as it approaches the field where the "Package" remains. The massive beast roared loudly as it grabbed two sabres which attempted to do a strafing run, but then they both smashed to each other as the Leviathan clapped his hands while holding both the aircrafts. Nothing was left except a giant heap of flaming metal.

VTOL aircrafts heaved themselves quite immediately unto the ground where which then latched metal cables around and over the object of which still in intense heat. Then the VTOL took off as it carried it off the ground with it. The Leviathan charging at the squad VTOLs, but then immediately stopped as a barrage of missiles halted its progress inflicting massive pain. Then roared loudly bypassing the escaping VTOL with their precious cargo as it charged towards the missile teams, which none were left alive. Eaten in one gulp....

"Command....We got the package - returning home."

...The beast continues to roar...

Meritocratic States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Meritocratic States » Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 pm

The Origin Program wrote:Intersystem Probe 267 (Meritocratic States)
The probe was an identical copy to the one being discovered a great many light years distant by the Feazanthians, and reacted in the same manner when it detected alien life. Processing power increased by several orders of magnitude, giving the probe an intelligence capable of handling the situation. Simultaneity was formed between it and Origin back in the home system as its ansible activated, and it began receiving the transmission from the alien vessel.

And failed to understand a word of it.

The probe began a radio transmission in a binary sequence, using the binary digits which coincided with the first one hundred numbers of Pi, followed by a list of prime numbers with the first 100 known prime numbers. In the meantime, it pinged Origin for assistance while it continued to try and communicated in the baseline methods Origin had given it.

Cassini-Cygnus Alpha
MAS Indomitable, Uthuze-class Carrier-Battleship hybrid
Admiral Roland Heidrich

"Well, that's a first contact." Admiral Heidrich sighed, "Alright, let's-"
"Sir, comm signals are detecting a radio transmission." the Noverian comm officer interrupted.

Within seconds, the captain and the admiral approached the comm officer's station, interested. Reading through the sea of numbers the console is showing, the admiral smiled "That object won't understand us either." he scratched the back of his head. "Send this info to the central comm matrix." he ordered "Hopefully we can get something to what this is."

A few minutes later, the comm matrix reported.
"Analysis complete. Transmissions indicate that message is in binary."

"Hm... so there we have it." Captain Ramius commented "Should we try it in binary?"
"Do it."

01001101010000010101001100100000010010010100111001000100010011110100110101001001010101000100000101000010010011000100010100100000001111100010000001000111010100100100010101000101010101000100100101001110010001110101001100100000010111110010000001000011010000010100111000100000010110010100111101010101001000000101010101001110010001000100010101010010010100110101010001000001010011100100010000111111
MAS INDOMITABLE > GREETINGS _ CAN YOU UNDERSTAND?
Last edited by Meritocratic States on Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, Gristol-Serkonos.

Salutem
Diplomat

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Salutem » Tue May 29, 2012 11:21 pm

The system that the Origin probe entered was dotted with explosions, weapon fire, and debris. The ships of the Salutem First Fleet fired off salvo after salvo at the immensely outnumbered Qualer ships. The alien force was slowly being beat back but their advanced technology kept them alive much longer than one would think possible against the pounding that the Salutem ships were dealing out. The only thing that was truely effective seemed to be the battleship CCV Cold Vengeance's MAC cannon that was able to punch through the enemy shielding and armor.

Salutem and Qualer fighters circled around each other, trying to outdo the other and get the killing shot. Chance happened that a Salutem fighter would stray close enough to the probe to pick it up on it's sensors.

"This is Scythe Nine, I got an unknown bogey approaching from outside System Edge. Doesn't match any known Qualer ID, over."

"Scythe Nine, this is the Cruiser Dark Light, repeat your last, over."

"Dark Light, Scythe Nine, unknown bogey approaching from outside System Edge. Does not match any known Qualer ID. Request permission to investigate, over."

"Wait one, Scythe Nine."

Waiting was the one thing that the fighter pilot couldn't do as he shifted around in his sit to track the chaos of the battle. Laser barrages slammed into Salutem ships, pushing through the weak, reverse-engineered shielding and digging into the armor of the ships. Likewise, Missile and Kinetic barrages slammed into the Qualer shields, overwhelmed them, and punched into the shining armor. This war had been going on for years but only recently had the tables been turned against the Qualer. At first, all of the Salutem planets had fallen, causing the ground forces to go into hiding or pursue guerilla warfare against the aliens. Than, finding a chink in the armor, the surviving Salutem Navy had freed the planet of Nikaliz. With this major victory under their belt, the Salutem Navy continued to push, getting victory after victory. Now, however, their momentum had run out and a stale-mate ensued as no side could push back the other. If it wasn't for the fact that Salutem planets were still under hostile control, Salutem might have tried to reason a cease-fire with the aliens.

Actually, the system they were fighting in no had no actual use to either side as it only contained a dwarf star and a lone gas giant but, by some cruel twist of fate, this small system became a battleground between the two races. System Edge was classified by the spherical distance that the system's sun, or other main form of gravitational attraction, was able to properly hold items inside it's orbit.

"Scythe Nine, Dark Light, permission granted. Over."

"Roger. Scythe Nine out."

With that out of the way, Scythe Nine spun his fighter around to face the direction that the probe was in.

"Scythe Ten, form up on me. We're going to check out that unknown, over."

"Roger that Nine, over."

Accelerating, Nine began to move towards the unknown with Ten on his right and slightly trailing. It wasn't long before the fighters exited the ever expanding debris cloud and accelerated even more as they flew towards the unknown. As they neared it, they began to be able to make out it's shape and details.

"Nine, Ten, looks to be a probe of some sort, over."

"Must be, Ten. Definitely not Qualer. Trail it's port side while I report, over."

"Hard copy, Nine."

With some brisk manuervering, the two fighters began to trail the probe with Scythe Ten on it's port side and Scythe Nine on it's starboard.

"Dark Light, Scythe Nine, unknown appears to be a probe. This is not Qualer. Over."

"Roger, Scythe Nine. Non-Qualer origins agreed. Tapping into Fighter Cam Feed now." A short pause, "A Mule Dropship is currently being deployed with Null Attachment for retrieval of the unknown. Dark Light will be disengaging and moving away from the combat area and await retrieval. Scythe Nine and Ten are now being reassigned to escort duty of Dropship Charlie Seven-Two upon it's arrival with the package. Please confirm. Over."

"Orders confirmed, Dark Light. Scythe Nine and Ten are to remain with package until arrival of Charlie Seven-Two, whereupon Scythe Nine and Ten will provide escort to Cruiser Dark Light. Nine, out."

Little happened while the three craft slowly drifted towards System Edge, however Nine was sure he could see things moving on the probe. Hell, he was almost positive the thing moved itself entirely but he couldn't be sure what he saw and would obey his orders. After awhile, Charlie Seven-Two arrived. Null Attachment was the, poor, codeword for no attachment on the craft. The skeletal, rear frame was bear as it flew through the void of space. The Mules were designed to be modular, accepting a wide variety of modules from troop carrier modules, to electronic warfare modules, to bombing modules. They could handle it all. As an addition, the Mules also had a cannon mounted under it's nose for self defense.

It wasn't long before the Mule had spun itself around and lassoed the probe into it's frame's grasp. With the package secure, Scythes Nine and Ten followed the dropship as it skirted the battle and approached the Cruiser. The Cruiser was pock-marked with damage and the entirety of Launch Bay Two seemed to be hanging on by a just a few meters of metal and some cabeling. Inadvertently, that bay was sealed off, causing the three craft to go to Bay One on the Cruiser's starboard side.

After Charlie Seven-Two entered the bay, Scythes Nine and Ten were dismissed to re-enter the fray that was still happening in-system. Inside Bay One, the dropship landed but did not disconnect the probe from it's grasp. With the probe still hanging from the skeletal frame, avalible engineering crews moved in to begin to take notes of the probe as the ships Marine garrison secured the Bay. After the Bay was secured, and the launch doors closed, the Marines would set up all around the bay and watch the Dropship that was parked in the center. With the push of a button, the probe was released and, with it's release, four radar-guided missile launchers were aimed at it. They stood ready to obliterate the small drone with the risk of damaging the ship itself. An acceptable risk for a nation that already had very little to lose.
Future-Tech
Salus omnia
Survival is everything

EternalNight
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby EternalNight » Wed May 30, 2012 11:47 am

Leliel.
500 Kilometers from Neapan Station

Leliel had completed her reproduction protocols. The asteroid she orbited had lost perhaps 30% of its mass before her converters had gathered enough raw matter for her needs. S(he) quickly ran diagnostic protocols to ensure that all the new fractals were operating and linked in with her. Then the report of a sensor nexus impinged on her consciousness. The nexus had detected an object moving through space, showing evidence of power, but no signs of at least conventional life. A probe of some sort? Configuration does not match anything in my files. This bears investigation.

With a thought, some of the cloud of glowing crystals surrounding Leliel's now 2.1 km long Core Form coalesced into a small 50 meter long crystalline wedge. shifting through the spectrum like her Core, it changed local gravity constants and accelerated rapidly out of the system. Phase Drive units in its fractals activated and the small "ship" shimmered and vanished. As it departed the dimensional alignment, Leliel resonated to the far-off "Capital" Eternal Night maintained in the Milky Way. A'Tren-Lael Control. This is Leliel. Possible first contact with unknown race. Will send more data as it becomes available. "Acknowledged" came the simple response from the controller on the other end, though Leliel could sense a tinge of unease in his voice. It's probably more due to me then to this probe... s(he) thought.

The wedge shimmered back into normal space-time 50 km from the probe. It swiftly matched course and velocity with the probe, monitoring its transmissions. Binary... The fragment of Leliel's essence in the crystalline form thought. Sensor nexi detected the probe's scans, and subspatial and metaphasic reconfigurations occurred in the outer layer of fractals in order to produce a sensor damping effect. As that was done analysis units went over the probe's transmission as passive sensors analyzed the probe itself.

They have developed a decent level of quantum technology... Leliel thought as the d-brane resonance produced by the probe's ansible was noticed. This puts them on a level worthy of notice.

Buffers were fabricated and brought online as the communications units configured to respond to the probe. When this was complete Leliel sent a transmission back to the probe in Binary, translating to; I am Leliel of Eternal Night. I bring you greetings on behalf of my people and myself. Defensive systems and adaptive sensors went to standby mode, although defenses remained quiescent in the lack of hostile activity.

Leliel waited for the probe's response, in whatever form that response might take.
You think when you die you go to Heaven or Hell...
You come to US!

Hallowed are the First Triune

ΜΘΓ

Feazanthia
Minister

Postby Feazanthia » Thu May 31, 2012 4:33 pm

“Astounding,” said Nar in a hushed whisper. “They absorbed and made sense of the information in less than twenty-three standard minutes.”

Talthet, his consciousness expanded as it was with his connection to the ship, ran through the calculations.

“Shaper,” he swore. “That would put its capabilities...”

“Less than an order of magnitude below the procession power of Collective War-era first generation synthetic intelligences,” supplied Ro.

“You don't think they put that kind of processing power on a probe, do you? Surely it's just a relay?”

“If it is a relay,” began Ro, calculations running through the ship's network, “then their technological base would likely be analogous to your own during the period before our genesis. If the probe was able to process the data independently...”

“Our newcomers could potentially give half the quadrant a run for their money. Tester preserve us,” finished Isaiid.

“Ro, begin pre-jump preparations; alter course to run in parallel with target with constant distance,” ordered Talthet, his mind now resolute. This was why he had been sent here. The odds of an undiscovered advanced civilization this close to the ancient homeworld of mankind, the intrepid and insatiable explorers they were, were astronomical; the odds of it having this level of advancement even more so. Their mission was one of exploration, and Talthet now had a burning need to understand what exactly was going on. “Encode for transmission.”

The ship seemed to come alive as more radiators went online, bleeding waste heat in anticipation of a long-range faster-than-light jump. Puffs of superheated plasma shot out from the arrowhead as it matched the probe's velocity to keep it at close range. The transmitter refocused and belched electromagnetic radiation once more, still in binary but now forming the language of GalStandard East.

THIS IS EXPLORATION VESSEL RO-SAN.

WE COME IN PEACE.

WHO ARE YOU?

WHAT IS YOUR ORIGIN?
Last edited by Feazanthia on Thu May 31, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Origin Program
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Origin Program » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Intersystem Probe 032 (Feazanthia)
Now things were going somewhere. The little probe, barely aware of itself, received the new flurry of communication and rapidly began translating it as quickly as it could, all the while sending data packets back to Origin. Response from Origin was still just less than an hour away, so the probe continued on its own simple little methods. Realigning its transmitters, it returned the signal back towards the aliens, responding in short bursts with long gaps between them to ensure clarity of transmission.

Hello RO-SAN.

This unit is 032.

Its origin is Origin. Primary directive is to learn.

What is your origin?

A simple enough response, and one which should provide it with information to further its goal. It was...the closest analogue was 'cautious', about revealing too much information. It would have to wait until it received clearance from Origin before it communicated anything potentially revealing which might harm its creator.

Intersystem Probe 267 (Meritocratic States)
The probe recognised binary. Before the Creators had switched to Quantum systems for nearly everything besides personal computing, they had used it for their own computers. It received the transmission, but couldn't understand what was being sent. To the probe, it seemed to be a random assembly of bits. It certainly didn't translate into numbers, so the probe assumed it was a transmission based on letters. Some kind of textual transmission sent via binary.

Unfortunately, unlike its cousin several light years away, Two Sixty Seven didn't have a lexicon of GalStandard East to rely on. It only had the barest dictionary of words in the Creator tongue, and even if the aliens used the same letters and alphabet as the Creators, there was no way of knowing how to translate their language. Nor, for that matter, of knowing what binary sequence for the aliens would correspond to which letter in their alphabet. So the probe did the only thing it could do: it sent the information back to Origin, requested assistance, and then set to work on evaluating possible meanings for the binary string it was being sent. Estimated time until Origin responded to it, 90 minutes.

Intersystem Probe 734 (Hedron)
Now it was in the sky. Something really big was scaring the soldiers, or at least had made them run like hell from the area. It was still badly damaged, but it tried its best to communicate in some manner. Without the vast extent of its quantum processor available, it couldn't do much. It weakly bled out a radio transmission, taking care to try and mimic the communications it had managed to pick up with what was left of its sensor suite. It managed to work out a form of encoding which should be readable by the people who had taken it, and started broadcasting a weak binary signal. It was working hard to formulate some coherent signal, but the best it could do was cycle a sequence of numbers from 1 to 103 before the radio transmitter would glitch and cut the transmission forcing the probe to start again from 1.

Intersystem Probe 800 (Neo-Mekanta)
As simple as the probe was, it realised it was in a bad situation as soon as it noticed it was surrounded. Upon exiting the Warp bubble, the probe began searching through protocols to decide what to do. First contact meant opening an ansible connection to Origin. Being based on Quantum Entanglement, with a few modifications to beat the light speed limit, they shouldn't theoretically be traceable nor interceptable. However, better safe then sorry, and the probe stalled its first contact programme to keep the ansible working on a by command only basis. Until the intention of the swarm surrounding it could be discerned, it would have to avoid leading them back to Origin.

The probe primed its fission reactor, preparing to overload it in case it was captured. It didn't have any form of defence, but by simply removing the rods in the miniature reactor it could ensure a self destruct in about five seconds. Secondly, it began recording everything its passive sensors detected, preparing them in a single data packet it would send back to Origin in just such an event. Finally, it transmitted a binary radio signal as dictated by its programming. A rising sequence of the first 100 prime numbers. Then it waited.

And hoped it hadn't made a bad move.

Intersystem Probe 109 (Salutem)
Warning. Interception. Disengaging drives.

A good thing too. The last thing anybody wanted was a fusion torch in the face. As the dropship approached, the probes engines were still hot, not given enough time to radiate their heat into the vacuum of space. Without an atmosphere to transfer heat thanks to conduction, the heat sinks relied on radiating heat to stop the probes from burning up. Unable to discharge the overloaded heat sinks without risking damage to the alien ship, it simply sat still and let the heat dissipate ever so slowly. It continued recording the data it could receive, risking only a bare few active scans until it was being drawn close to the bay where it relied instead on passive sensors to detect what the aliens were giving off. Heat signatures, light and so on.

With first contact made, the probe activated its ansible. The probability of the aliens being capable of detecting a quantum entanglement was estimated to be low, and certainly they wouldn't be able to jam it. The gifts of the quantum universe, however expensive to create, were manifold. It sent back a data packet to Origin, before maintaining the connection so Origin would be able to see everything the probe could see. The bay doors closed and the probe was released. It detected what were obvious weapons, and realised it was probably not assumed a friendly. To better fulfil its directive, it needed to not be in several thousand pieces. It spun up its radio transmitter, its only method of communication that wouldn't be mistaken for a weapon, and started broadcasting a series of prime numbers in binary, hoping to prove itself intelligent.

Intersystem Probe (Eternal Night)
Upon detecting both the wedge and the transmission, the probe made sure not to alter its velocity and sought to maintain close proximity to the alien ship. It received the binary signal, but could not understand what was being sent to it. It assumed, given that the binary did not match any numbers, that it was signifying letters of some kind. By cross referencing the binary digits with its own data, it came up with...nothing. Probably using a language not of the Creators, which would explain why the letters were jumbled and nonsensical. The machine opened a communicator with Origin, maintaining the connection and waiting for feedback.

To let the aliens know they had been heard, the probe took in the radio message and broadcast an exact copy. Without a lexicon or translator, there was no way for it communicate properly. So it would have to just sit and watch and record. Like any good probe would do.

Meritocratic States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Meritocratic States » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Cassini-Cygnus Alpha
MAS Indomitable, Uthuze-class Carrier-Battleship hybrid
Admiral Roland Heidrich

The comm officer was getting frustrated. Nothing he sends is getting through the unknown device. Sipping on his coffee, he sends the transmission sent by the drone to the central quantum computer. "Admiral." he said "I am not getting anything through." he said while stretching his arms. "I think we should just go."

"Not yet." Admiral Heidrich shot the idea down "I am not going to abandon this first contact." he faced the viewscreen "Send the transmission to the Ministry of Xeno-linguistics in Zerhn and see what they have with this." after he is done talking, went towards the second comm officer, "Contact the Ministry of Science and Explorations, tell them our current situation and send a science ship to assist us in translating the binary code. We can understand binary, but they are a completely unknown language."

"Yes sir."

"And you, again." he faced the first comm officer "Transmit our previous message but this time, but this time transmit the message every three minutes with a different language from our linguistic database. Hopefully, they can understand one of it."
"But sir, it's over 2050 languages..."
"I want it done, you hear me kid?"
"Yes sir." the comm officer sighed "I'll work on it."
"Thank you."

Communications resumed again. Every three minutes, a new language was delivered. This is going to take a while.
Hello, Gristol-Serkonos.

The Origin Program
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Origin Program » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 am

bumping for responses. ; - ;

Salutem
Diplomat

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Salutem » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 am

CCV Dark Light

When the radio transmitter spun up, the Marines in the bay all gripped their weapons tighter. A call from one of the engineers made them stand down.

"We've got a transmission! It's coming from the probe!" shouted one of the engineers. With a couple of taps on his pad, the engineer watched as the binary scrolled up his screen.

"Repeating numbers. Pattern. I think it's talking in binary," he assumed, looking at the probe that was just floating behind the dropship. A couple more taps on the pad, "Spectre, I'm routing it to you, think you can speak with this thing?"

A flittering of holographic particles appeared next to the engineer. It didn't take long for the AI to resolve into it's chosen image. "Of course," the AI replied. The hole where his eyes would be flashed a bright red. if one would look closely, they would see that the red light, and the image itself, was made of thousands of lines of codes. They were so small, however, that they seemed solid. Spectre was an AI who enjoyed showboating in front of "organics" as he called them. The red light traveled down his arm and to his hand where it formed a ball. Finally, the red light transmitted in a beam from his hand to the probe. In reality, the message was transmitted from an array at another point in the hanger. The AI merely did it so that the crew could see that the message was sent.

What/Who are you?

Where is your home?

Why are you here?

While two of the three questions could be answered by simple reasoning, they were mostly to test the capabilities of the probe. Could it reply simultaneously or could it only do one task at a time? Was it controlled by an operator or did it have self-autonomosy? The crew hoped these would be answered, as well as the question. But, some things had to be done in baby steps to be successful.
Last edited by Salutem on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Future-Tech
Salus omnia
Survival is everything

Epsilon Theta
Envoy

Founded: May 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Epsilon Theta » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:37 pm

ETS Duplicity
DSM, Contact Fleet

She had not expected such a speedy response, most species were very cautious when it came to first contact. As the bitstream was picked up, which the receiving arrays quickly locked onto. With a firm signal lock, she called a meeting, assembling a virtual conference room.

This particular room was based off of the Grand Board room of the Primary Council, back on Theta Prime. The elegant table, comprised of finely engraved aluminium, sat in the center of a pristine atrium commanding impressive views of the city skyline. Of course, the actual Theta Prime was many lightyears away, but the images stored in vast databanks allowed for a completely faithful recreation to be built, down to the most minute detail. She walked into the room through its main entrance as her primary avatar, a woman named Ajalon. Diplomacy and Tactical already sat at the table, taking the right and left seat to the head of the table, respectively. Taking her seat at the head, she displayed the bitstream over the table for observation by Tactical and Diplomacy.

"Thank you for arriving so promptly," Ajalon began, a formality given that they all existed within the same system. "Let's get down to business. Tabitha, what's your assessment so far?" she turned to Diplomacy’s avatar.

"Based on the probe’s response to our arrival," Tabitha replied, "I believe the transmission to be a standard first contact procedure. This probe will be attempting to establish a common language for communication, and should switch from Pi to prime numbers...now."

True to her prediction, the bitstream transitioned to a prime number sequence. Tabitha smiled; even an AI could be smug once and awhile.

Ajalon looked to Tactical, the AI having taken the form of pilot, currently named Major Corban. Corban remained stone faced, waiting for a direct query before giving any sort of reply.

"Major Corban," Ajalon queried, "What's the tactical assessment?"

He launched into a presentation, bringing a gridded projection of the surrounding nearspace into the center of the table. "Given our current position in deep space, the given probability of encountering forces hostile to first contact operations is minimal. Based on present estimates, the probe poses no possible threat to our vessel. This is preliminary data: the exact nature of the probe’s capabilities are currently unknown; however, it should not be allowed to close within the short range defense sphere," as he spoke, the map flashed a tight sphere around the Duplicity, representing the closes the probe would be allowed to close.

Ajalon quickly reviewed the simulations before running a few of her own, confirming Tactical's assessments. "Very well," she continued, "Our course of action is clear. Tabitha? You are authorized to dispense a first contact package. Corbin, rotate us to face the probe and commence braking maneuvers. Adjourned"

The three avatars stood in unison before winking out of existence. The conference room was already being deconstructed to free valuable cycles for future processes. She felt the ship begin to spin on its vertical axis as the prow was brought to bear on the tiny probe. She observed as Diplomacy tracked the probe, shifting receiving arrays in a perfectly timed order: not a bit was dropped from the data stream.

Across the hull, low-power communications laser sparked to life. After a brief period of test pulses, the packages pulled from the ship’s great archives were loaded into the communications suite. Since the probe had initiated with Pi and prime numbers, the package escalated its response. First, the first 100 digits of pi were returned, as an acknowledgement of the original message, then it followed with basic mathematical operations, scaling up the complexity gradually.

What happened next was a matter of great controversy. No set protocols on language had ever been established due to xenophobic controversy, so it was left to the discretion of the Commander or, in this case, the ship. She, a true archivist, preferred to learn the local language, to be processed and stored in her databanks. So now she waited, eager for a response from the small probe.

The Singularity Factbook

Home of Monolith Inter-System Information

Thalverin

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents