NATION

PASSWORD

The Line of Polity (Semi-open, TG, FT)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Line of Polity (Semi-open, TG, FT)

Postby Denengrad » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 am

OOC:
Please send a Telegram before posting, the TG should explain your desire to join, and also what sort of role you envision your nation taking. Thank you.

The Polity, a vast and sprawling civilization. Covering thousands of light years and tens of thousands of planets, with a population that was on the whole to large to count, hundreds of billions. Formally a nation, the nation of Denengrad on Earth, now simply the Polity.
Millennia ago the inhabitants of Denengrad had left the Earth behind them, undertaking a journey that took a thousand years to complete. Three massive cold sleep ships drifting across the void at eighty percent of light speed , the Megaroad-01, 02 and 03. Five hundred million souls drifting though the darkness, cradled in the arms of the ships onboard AI’s.
Three giant ships drifted within the new star system on the far side of the galaxy. Hull plates scoured and cratered by micro-meteor impacts and the constant abrasion of space bourn particles, the new home of this group of humans was the fifth planet from their new blue giant sun, a planet named Denengrad, it’s first city, Ueda. Ueda the new capital of the Polity.

Then came the wars, it seemed they had not managed to leave them behind. Corporations, planets and religious groups fought within the solar system for dominance, and while people died, another war was taking place, the Quiet War.
The Quiet War. This is often how the AI takeover is described, and even using ‘war’ seems overly dramatic. It was more a slow usurpation of human political and military power, while humans were busy using that power against each other. It wasn’t even very stealthy. Analogies have been drawn with someone moving a gun out of the reach of a lunatic while that person is ranting and bellowing at someone else. And so it was. AI’s, long used in the many corporate, national and religious conflicts, took over all communication networks and the computer control of weapons systems. Most importantly, they already controlled the enclosed human environments scattered throughout the solar system. Also establishing themselves as corporate entities, they soon accrued vast wealth with which to employ human mercenary armies. National leaders in the solar system, ordering this launch or that attack, found their orders either just did not arrive, or caused nil response. Those same people ordering the destruction of the AI’s, found themselves weaponless, in environments utterly out of their control, and up against superior forces and, on the whole, public opinion. It had not taken the general population, for whom it was a long-established tradition to look upon their human leaders with contempt, very long to realise that the AI’s were better at running everything. And it is very difficult to motivate people to revolution, when they are extremely comfortable and well off.

The Polity entered a golden age of prosperity. The U-Space engine was designed and built, allowing ten light years to be crossed in as little as ten days. The Runcible was devised, instantaneous travel between worlds that housed a Runcible gateway. With the ability of the Human mind to be downloaded into crystal mem-storage Death was virtually defeated, you could only die if you wanted to, those who did not wish to die could receive the treatment to keep the body healthy and fit for virtually eternity. Or, the Human mind could be downloaded into the body of a Golem.
Wars still happened, Line Wars. Planets that had been settled on the Polity border would sometimes cease all communication, some upstart dictator taking control before an AI governor and Runcible could be established. Sometimes these worlds were left to their down devices, most eventually came back to the stable rule of the AI’s, some became graveyards as regional conflicts between warlords spiralled out of control and ever more deadly weapons used. The usual course of action was to leave these worlds alone, unless over eighty percent of the population wished for Polity intervention. Upon intervention the planet would find itself surrounded by Polity warships, some as large as moons, millions of troops would be deployed, along with millions of fully sentient AI war drones. All crimes, no matter what the nature of the crime, would be forgiven, but the inhabitants would be watched very, very closely.
The Polity was indeed good.

---

The massive research ship “Cherry Blossom” drifted though space on the very edge of the Polity border. It was a ship that could never move into proximity with a planet, it’s sheer mass would cause tidal waves and earthquakes. Massing the same as Earths moon, but somewhat bigger, the ship was a fortress of research, access was granted by the onboard Runcible, and the waiting list of scientists to board the ship for the opportunity to work the AI known as Cherry Blossom was years long. It was also a fortress in the military sense, possessing the weapons needed to defend such a massive ship. Rail-Guns that fired projectiles as large as skyscrapers at almost the speed of light, missile silos as large as cargo haulers, beam weapons that could bore a hole to the core of a planet within seconds at full power. Hardfield generators capable of warding off the most vicious attacks. Cherry Blossom was a ship to be reckoned with, and since it was controlled by a Sector-Class AI, everyone took it seriously, even the Polity Central AI. Cherry Blossoms current mission was simply to carry on with it’s current projects, the only reason it was even travelling the border was because it was launching probes into the uncharted space beyond. Simple probes designed to look for life, ancient ruins or pretty much anything of interest, each one holding a sub-mind that would report back it’s findings at intervals, unless something very special was found.

---

On the Line World of Citadel, nothing much ever happened that was interesting. It was an agricultural planet, everyone there lived an extremely comfortable life, lounging in the sun while tending to the crops that grew, life on Citadel was indeed good.
An iron sphinx drifted silently over the fields of Water Melons, it’s ruby eyes looking down to the ground in a motion that suggested it was looking for something. It was a drone, currently holding a sub-mind of the planets warden, the AI Citadel. And it was looking for a rather annoying friend. A glint of light caught it’s attention, and it drifted slowly to the ground, settling onto the soil was not even a sound as it’s head tilted a little, it was watching a spider, a very large spider.
The spider was a huge chrome construct, it’s leg span alone was twelve meters. Slowly and with care the spider crawled over the water melons, it was followed faithfully by a anti-gravity cart that was half full of melons, every now and then the spiders two front legs would pluck a melon free of the plants, examine it, and then place it within the cart. It continued this for almost ten minuets until the cart was full, once full, the cart rose, and began to drift away towards a large collection of buildings in the distance. Then the spider turned it’s attention to the Sphinx.

“What the fuck do you want?”
“Really, Amadeus. Is that any way to greet an old friend.”
“S’pose not.”
“Indeed, I see the melons are doing fine.”
“That they are, this is my third crop now. I’m making quite a bit of profit on these, even had to take on help”
“It’s good to see you are doing well for yourself.”
“Aye, I like plants.”

The huge chrome spider turned now to fully face the Sphinx, settling down onto the ground as all eight of it’s topaz eyes focused on the other Drone, it’s two front legs idly tapping against the soil.

“C’mon, what do you want.”
“I was merely seeing how you were doing, adjustment can be hard, even after so long.”
“Checking that I’m not a danger to the good people of this world.”
“Yes.”
“See, honesty is good.”
“Indeed. Also, Cherry Blossom wishes to speak with you.”

The spider raised up slightly now, actually looking around the area to check it’s sensors had not missed anything.

“Me, why would a Sector-Class want to talk to me?”
“I was just as baffled. Apparently, it’s because you are Pre-Runcible.”
“Oh aye, I’m old alright, much older than you, Citadel.”
“Yet you never chose a… specialization, should you have wanted it, you could have been a Warden, or a Sector-Class even.”
“Nah, I like the quiet life.”
“So I see, growing water melons.”
“Don’t knock it.”
“I’m not, I suppose it is admirable of you. Many others shut themselves down.”
“Aye, well they didn’t have my wisdom.”
“As much as I would like to talk about your wisdom, Cherry Blossom is waiting, something it does not often do.”
“Alright, alright, patch him though.”

The Sphinx’s head nodded once, then it’s posture seemed to change by only a fraction, it’s ruby eyes turning a soft pink.

“Hello Amadeus”
“Shit. U-com! What’s you bloody budged!”
“I don’t have a budget, I ask and I get.”
“Fair do’s, so, what’s up, what do you need me for?”
“I need you to come to me, something of interest has shown up, and I could use your unique insight.”

The spider shifted a little, uncomfortably, why should Cherry Blossom even waste time talking to him, it could just reach out and scour his mind for information. Then a light went on in the Drone’s mind. He jumped upwards on all eight legs, his chrome armour instantly shifting to match the vegetation around him as two Rail-Gatling guns extended from invisible hatches within his abdomen, two missile carousels also showed, along with other more exotic weapons. He was almost dancing with excitement.

“Shit going down? Line World in trouble? You say the word boss and I’ll move anything from your path!”

Silence followed, and continued to follow until the spider had once more settled down rather sheepishly, all weapons hidden away within his body, the armour once more chrome. Then Cherry Blossom spoke.

“It’s nice to see your weapons are up to date. Are those P-shells?”
“I’m a free drone, I can have whatever I want, as long as I pay for it, and yea’ P-shells!”
“Very dangerous weapons, I also detect a CTD”
“Do you!? I’ve been meaning to get rid of that for years!”
“I think you mean centuries, but no matter, I shall get to the point. I have detected something beyond the Border, I’m not sure what. And since you are Pre-Runcible you might be able to help, you were once the AI on a first generation warship, correct.”
“I was indeed, the DSSDF Amadeus! Of course I had no control over anything, I just monitored systems. That was before the time when people trusted AI’s”
“A good number still don’t, but no matter, you could look at everything, sensors included, and you must have amassed a great deal of information on other human ships?”
“Aye, I can squirt the data across to you, if you’ll foot the U-com bill.”
“No thank you, I would rather you come and see me, in person, as it were. If you leave today you can be here by tomorrow evening, it will take five Runcible jumps, there will be layovers.”
“There always bloody are. Just out of interest, this aint’ a request, is it?”
“No.”
“Fine, I’ll be with you tomorrow.”

And that was it, the Sphinx slumped a little before the eyes turned back to the previous colour of ruby, then it was Citadel speaking to Amadeus.

“Well, what did he want?”
“You know what, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you… Can you look after the melons for a while, please? I don’t trust hired help, I recon their pinching melons!”
“Very well, I’ll have a Drone come over and take over. I think Griffon is not up to much, he should do.”
“Cheers, Citadel!”

And so it was, that later that day as the sun was setting over Citadel, casting a pink light over the world a chrome Spider scuttled though the Runcible terminal, all three miles of it. He drew glances from those who were obviously visiting this world, some even snapping pictures of him as he scuttled onwards, topaz eyes always looking forwards and he made his way towards one of the three private use Runcibles, one that would take him to Oberon before onwards to Dalamar, then Kakinos then a wait before moving on to Sakura Space Station, a four hour wait there, and then finally Sakura would send him on his way to the Cherry Blossom. It was something he was looking forward to, it was not often an old War Drone was invited directly to a Sector-Class AI, and it even needed his help! This could turn out great if he played his cards right. However, he was also dreading the meeting, Cherry Blossom could be a scary thing indeed if you rubbed it the wrong way.

Orrachius
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Orrachius » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:33 pm

The Gladiator didn't really live up to its name.
Sure, it had the markings of a military ship, the blood-red stripes of Orrachian sovereignty and the streak of the Black Hand. And it was armed with some rather lovely lasers. Unfortunately due to some cosmic practical joke, the ship's engineer was a complete idiot. He'd practically begged his brother, a rather high-ranking officer, to get him a job on one of the big ships, and he was fool enough to let him. By some miracle the man had not yet been fired (out of the airlock) since he'd done such a hack job that nobody else was even capable of understanding how the blasted thing worked. The ship had been given the unflattering nickname of Goose.

It currently jumped out of hyperspace in entirely the wrong location. This was not what Major Weiss was expecting.
"...Where are we? This doesn't look like Karshana."
The navigator shrugged.
"I'm not entirely sure, sir. We have no data on this location."
A few keys were pressed and a holographic map was pulled up.
"From our approximate position, however, we are several light years shy of our destination, and a few outside of Empire space."
Weiss muttered something rather vulgar and pushed the onboard comms button. The added distortion from the now slightly-worn speaker made his robotic voice sound rather horrifying.
"Bufo! Get your arse up here right now."
"Coming, sir!" squeaked a voice.

While he waited for the hapless engineer to make his way to the bridge, Weiss decided to survey the scenery, or lack thereof, on the scanner. There was absolutely nothing out here. Except for that monstrous blip which was most certainly a glitch. There's no way any ship could be that big. He made a note to get tech support on that as soon as possible.

The turbolift doors whooshed open and a tiny man ran onto the bridge, making a quick salute.
"Engineer Bufo reporting, sir!"
He was met by a slap across the face from an angry cyborg.
"You fucked up the calibrations again. Nobody has any idea where the hell we are, and the scanners are screwing up."
"I'm sorry, sir! I tried my hardest this time, I swear!"
Weiss growled angrily.
"I honestly don't know why I bothered. You're a disgrace to the Empire. Now get back down there and fix it!"
"Yes sir!"
Bufo ran off the bridge as fast as his little legs could manage.
It was moments like this Weiss regretted giving up his digestive system, because he could really use a drink.

"Sir, we have a bit of a problem," said the navigator worriedly.
"Yes, I know, the scanners are buggered. Probably some interference. What about it?"
"About that, sir...they're not."
"What?"

The Gladiator had been drifting steadily closer to the Cherry Blossom since its arrival in the sector, and now everybody had quite a view of the enormous ship, bristling with weapons. Weiss suddenly felt something he hadn't for some years: fear. Whatever doubtless horrible race manufactured this thing appeared to be a very big threat indeed. A great unknown monolith looming on the edge of known space. Here there be monsters.

"God-Emperor help us." he muttered, fiddling nervously.
"Orders, sir?"
He sighed and stared up at the giant vessel.
"Take us in. If we're going to die here, I at least want to know what that thing is and who sent it."

FT puppet of Grandais/Khazmatistan. No IC relation to either.
No relation to Warhammer either.

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Cherry Blossom watched the smaller ship with a great deal of interest. This was the first interstellar ship seen since the Trajeen war almost two centuries beforehand, so it should make for some interesting news to send back to the Polity Central AI. It shifted a portion of it’s mind to one of the hundreds of research stations located within the hull, it’s voice flowing into the chamber from seeming every direction.

“Report on the alien ship.”

A tall man with striking blond hair and impossibly bright green eyes looked up from a work station, the looming form of a Golem stood by his shoulder, also looking to the screens in front of the man. The chamber itself was huge, a hundred meter dome, surgically clean with polished white wall.

“Unknown design, their engines appear far more efficient than our own U-Jump tech. I detect no Runcible signature however, so we can only assume the ship has no such facility, naturally I cant comment on the rest of the civilization. It seems to be a warship though, I’m detecting weapons.”
“I see. Can we employ USER technology against this ship?”
“Unknown, we don’t know how a USER would effect a ship without a U-Engine. The only way would be to try I’m afraid.”
“Not the wisest course of action. Amadeus is currently still on route, expected within one hour, perhaps we can wait until then.”

The AI core was holing the same conversation with over a thousand people at the same time, not to mention numerous Drones and sub-minds spread though the ship. The general consensus seemed to be that a USER would most likely not work, but the only way would be to deploy one. Cherry Blossom itself though much the same, but such a course of action would indeed be unwise. It opened a U-Space communication link to Polity Central, relaying it’s finding, and updating the ruling AI minuet by minuet on the situation, only one reply came back to it. Establish Contact.
Massive fusion thrusters fired from recesses located about the ships hull, slowing it’s idle spin until the great ship hung at a dead stop in space like some immense and slightly disfigured orange. It calculated multiple transmissions to send within half a second, finally selecting one it deemed to be mostly polite, but also quite firm. It then opened communication.

---

“I am the Polity research ship Cherry Blossom. I am interested to know your intention within this area of space, as well as your origin. Please note that space onwards of the next solar system towards the Galactic rim is Polity space. Intrusion into Polity space will not be tolerated, or allowed.”

The message was transmitted on all frequencies the AI could think of, as well as every language within it‘s mind, up to and including transmission via light X-ray spectrum lasers. The Audio was a clipped and calm voice with no hint of hostility, it was a voice that simply stated the facts, the only image to go with the video was a Cherry Blossom tree swaying in the wind and shedding blossoms while mist drifted around it, its signature image. After all, if it were to send an actual image of itself those on that strange ship would get only a picture of the containment sphere holding the crystal mind of the AI, not a very exciting image at all.
It was however very interested to hear the response that might, or might not come, it also took a moment to open several hatches in the hull, extending some more sophisticated and esoteric sensing equipment into the void and directed towards the alien ship.

Danarian
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:32 pm

It had been a half-millennia since the end of the horrid J'akial War, and only now had the Third Federation recovered enough to consider venturing beyond its borders. Indeed the Fr'ai'a was the first ship to leave Danarian space in more than seven million years. Their task was deep-space recon. The Council of Imperator needed to know just how much of the Galaxy had been affected by the J'akial and those who had not, how far had they advanced? Did the Danarian people still have the Technological edge in the galaxy, or had they fallen behind? Had their struggle forged a mighty war-machine, or had it left them in the dust of more advanced civilizations? From what they had seen, the J'akial incursion had been limited to the Gamma Quadrant. Once they left those borders, they found that the J'akial presence was negligible. Surprisingly enough, in many respects the Danarii were just as advanced as they were before that horrid war. Whether that was a blessing, or a relief, they were unsure. Why had so little progressed in the time they had been gone? Had they been that advanced?

The Fr'ai'a, like her sister ships of the Esterion Class, are designated long-range exploration vessels. She's about a fifth-mile long, a few hundred feet at the thickest point and several hundred more wide, giving the ship an appearance much like a partially-flattened egg - save the long, excessively narrow pylons, about one-third her length, that trailed from the ship's sides, at the furthest points starboard and port. A narrow line of five, recessed, rectangular 'windows' sat almost halfway back the ship's mass, on both the top and bottom. Beyond that, the hull appeared to be flat, made of some sort of matte-grey metal. Her solitary 'plasma-caster' was recessed into the hull and its location was nearly indistinguishable to the untrained eye.

The bridge was relatively quiet, being near the end of the Danarian 'night' cycle. The fact that they were on the far side of this planet while their diplomat finished negotiations didn't make things any easier for Sai Leae, the tactical officer of the Fr'ai'a. She was short, even by Danarian standards standing at five feet even, and that was counting her dark-brown hair. Even still the Space Forces couldn't say no to her when she tried joining, she had graduated top of her class in spatial-analytics. She was on the dark bridge, lit only by the little light of the nearby stars projected on the holographic display that surrounded the whole bridge and the gentle blue light of the holographic consoles threw off, preforming long range scans, looking for either radio, or subspace traffic in nearby sectors. The most surefire way to detect any civilization worth meeting. While trying her best not to fall asleep like the majority of the crew and to pay attention, the sensors detected a most unusual blip. A massive power source well away from any star-system, far enough out that it couldn't be anything but an artificial construct.

"This can't be correct..." She remarked, coincidentally as Tau Niem returned to the bridge.

Tau Niem was 'Lang A Danarii ', literally translated means, "Voice of the Danarii." He was a diplomat of the highest grade, an official voice of the Imperator themselves. Though the ship's captain officially out ranked him, he was second to no one for all practical purposes. A ship's captain would only countermand him to protect their ship and crew.

"What is it?" He asked simply, leaning over her shoulder to see the readings that she was looking at.
"I'm not entirely sure." Sai Leae admitted, "What ever it is, Its large and producing huge amounts of power. We're detecting it more than a sector away!"
"Is it a station?" He asked.
"Doubtful." She shook her head, "Its not adjacent to any star and I don't see what you'd need that much power for on a station..."
"A military complex perhaps?" He guessed.
"Possibly...but out in the middle of nowhere? It just seems odd." She stated definitely.
"Agreed." He nodded.
"The Captain's been resting since you arrived on planet." She informed him.
"Her concern is touching." He chuckled.
"You're Ne Ni Nei. If you can't handle it, I doubt that any of us will." She remarked somewhat playfully.
"Maybe, but you know how Karai gets when I get shot at...I have to spend all day calming her down, just to keep her from turning the cannon on the planet below!" Sure it was an exaggeration, but not wholly.
"Yep, you got a spitfire down there in engineering." She grinned.
"That I do, and I wouldn't want it any other way." I said with a chuckle.
"Well, you best contact the Captain and let her know that the rest of the command crew is needed on the bridge." She reminded him.
"I should." He nodded, before looking up. Though there was no reason to do so, it was commonplace to look up slightly when talking to the main computer, "This is Tau Niem to the Captain?"
It took Mar Marua a moment to respond, but she finally did. "Welcome back Tau Niem, I take it everything went well?" She sounded half-asleep clearly he had woken her.
"They did." He reported simply, "I'm sorry for waking you Captain, but we have detected an anomaly within jump range. I'm sending you the information to your console."
After another moment for her to look at it, she responded. "Very well, lay in a course to the nearest system and engage. I will be on the bridge momentarily..." She ordered.
"Aye Captain." He acknowledged.
"Someone's not getting much sleep." Sai Leae said jokingly.
"Well, I can get a few hours anyways..." Tau Niem turned and left the bridge for his quarters.

---

The Fr'ai'a had entered into the system nearest to the large power source, in close orbit of a large gas-giant, as to avoid detection. The Fr'ai'a was designed to do just that. Her syntho-metal hull, made of a secret, densely packed, crystalline lattice of hydrogen molecules was not only amazingly strong and durable, but exceedingly difficult to scan through, giving her a natural stealthy design. On top of all that, just to be on the safe side, the entire ship was covered in holographic emitters that allowed the ship to literally make itself invisible.

"Captain, we've detected an object in system." Sai Leae turned back to look at her Captain who was sitting at the 'back' of the bridge in her command chair.
"Another ship?" Mar Marua guessed, her short gold colored hair quite in contrast with that of her Tactical Officer's.
"Negative. It appears to be a probe." She continued to manipulate her holographic controls, "There, on screen."
"Has it detected us?" The Captain asked, looking at the otherwise harmless probe.
"At this range, I'm sure it detected something, but I doubt that it registered anything more than a sensor ghost, or some sort of glitch." The Tactical officer turned back towards the Captain again, "It is sending a transmission."
"Track it!" The Captain barked.
"Already on it." She nodded and frantically worked her console. After several tense moments, she turned back around, "Its reporting back to the coordinates of the power signature."
"That confirms that it is not of natural design." The Captain nodded and thought a moment, "Plot a course, one Tri-Centon in distance. I don't want to startle whatever, or whoever is out there..."
"Aye." Her helmswoman responded. Now that she was on the bridge, it saved Sai Leae from having to do her job too...
"Call Tau Niem to the bridge." She ordered, though to whom was unclear.

The Fr'ai'a jumped out from the system, still in orbit of the gas giant. Surely the probe hadn't missed that.

---

By the time they had dropped out of Subspace, Tau Niem had arrived on the bridge. Yet, as their helmsman pointed out, they technically arrived 0.654 seconds before they had left. A fact that took more than a little getting used to. Ao P'aria, their Communications Officer, and close associate of Tau Niem were nearly finished composing their message by the time they entered the vicinity of the huge object. They were all awed by the massive structure, ship, thing. Indeed, the Danarian language lacked a proper noun to describe what they saw before them...

The Danarian UT that the Fr'ai'a carried was one of the most advanced in the Quadrant, perhaps in the entirety of the Milky Way Galaxy. It needed to be, because the Danarian language was complex, to the point that most other races found it nearly impossible to speak. For true conversation, it takes UT on both ends, just to get a true appreciation of the subtleties of their language. The tech was gifted to them eons ago, when the Theologians made first contact with their people. Ever since, the Danarian have slowly refined its design to work better and better...

Attn. Occupants of this Quadrant.
I am Tau Niem A Ne Ni Nei, voice of the Imperators, aboard the DSF Fr'ai'a, Captained by Mar Marua A Cetol-Heul. We come in peaceful-exploration, with hopes of making first contact. Please indicate your preferred method of communication?

Their message was transmitted in multiple formats, text, audio and a rare form of visual communication that they had noted on the far side of their space by a developing species.

Tau Niem held his breath. The Fr'ai'a was heavily armored and though it had only one weapon, its 'Plasma-Caster' was of the same caliber of those on the Jerod Class Gunships, the heaviest warships in the Danarian Space Forces. On several occasions the more primitive, or paranoid, cultures that they had met mistook the Fr'ai'a for a warship. Though Danarian defensive systems were among the most advanced in their Quadrant, it still made first contact awkward when you have to calm down your counterpart, and assure them that you have no intentions of launching an invasion of their space...
Danarian Federation of Clans Embassies | Danarian Federation Factbook
The proper demonym for the Danarian People is: Danarii. 'Danarian' is the adjective form of the word Danarii and used when addressing individuals and smaller-groups (less) formally.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is your[...]companion being a f*cktard." ~ Marshall Bailey, Quantum Castaways - Ch IX.

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:52 pm

A power surge deep within the bowels of Cherry Blossom signalled that an incoming traveller had just arrived via the Runcible gate, and since only one individual was cleared for arrival it was simply a matter of deduction for the powerful AI to guess the name of the traveller.

“Hello, Amadeus. Good to see you again, in person so to speak. You appear to be twenty three minuets late.”
“Hi Cherry. Yeah, I got held up on my last jump, some bastard trying to queue jump. He calmed down once he saw who was supposed to be going first though, and your name sure does open doors!”
“Thank you, I’m flattered. Either way, you have arrived at a most interesting time. Two space faring civilisations in one sector, it seems to good to be true. Especially since all we have found to date are ruins and artefacts.”
“Aye, I had a toddle around one of the museums on Leningrad a few years back, interesting place to display said artefacts.”
“One cant be to careful. Either way, please make your way to the seventh research facility”

---

The message from the newcomer was something of a mystery to the AI, for a short while at least. It also seemed that the sensor blip had been connected to this ships arrival, passive scans had already been made of the ship, impressive in ways that were not seen within Polity space. It’s hull seemed to be made of Hydrogen compressed to extraordinary levels. The Polity used such technology, but only as weapons. Cherry Blossom made a mental note to experiment with this design of hull when it next had some free time. It would be interesting to play with something other than the usual tungsten steel and ceramic armour used for it’s own hull, and such a layer of apparent hydrogen armour around it’s containment sphere would make it’s mind that little bit safer. It was itching to get some more detailed scans, but was reluctant to bring it’s full scanning ability to bare in case such instruments be mistaken for weapons. Ah, Amadeus had reached his destination.

---

The Drone scuttled into one of the many white, perfectly clean spheres, looking around for a moment before a Golem strode forwards. This one was a little different however, instead of it’s body being the colour of chrome of even syntha-skin it was a striking brass colour, highly polished. Cherry Blossoms Golem, the colour so it could be spotted easily and not mistaken for a drone or Submind. A white clad man with olive skin was also walking alongside the Golem, holding a pad in front of himself while tapping at it as he spoke in hushed tones, the Golem, Cherry Blossom nodding every now and then before it finally stood in front of the old War Drone.

“Amadeus, this is Akito Rose, one of my experts on Alien artefacts.”
“Nice to meet you Mr Rose, seems like you landed a good job here.”
“Indeed, Amadeus was it? I did. I must say it’s rare to see a Drone Shell like your own these days.”
“Well you know how it is, sentimental value, naturally I upgrade when I can.”
“Of course, of course. I’m sure you’ll be interested to see some of the things we are cooking up here.”
“Damn right!”

The Golem shifted it’s posture with a grating of gears it did not have, simply a way of getting attention.

“If you two are finished for now, there will be time for that later. Now please, follow me?”

The Golem began to stride to one of the large screens mounted about the inner wall of the sphere, the man and the Drone looking to each other before shrugging softly, both then following obediently.
The screen came to life, displaying both ships on the screen in a size comparison, along with other important information gathered so far. Cherry Blossom then turned to Amadeus, pointing to the screen.

“Well, do you recognise the hull design, power signatures, communication, background radiation. Anything?”
“Afraid not CB. Both infinitely different from each other, as well as out Tech. No U-Space engines detected so they have some other form of FTL. Defiantly no Runcible tech, we’d spot that a mile away. Scouting party, like you?”
“All points are true, we can only guess to their motives, well, one of their motives at least. Also, please do not call me CB.”
“Ok Boss. You tried deploying a USER. And what do you mean, one motive?”
“To answer your first question, no. I am reluctant to deploy a USER. There is no knowing of what effect it would have on a drive that does not tap into U-Space, it could cause a cascade, or do nothing at all, better to play it safe, it could also be seen as the beginning of an attack, I do remain confident I would be the one to come away from such a fight however.”
“Probably true.”
“Please do not interrupt me, either.”
“Ok C… Boss.”
“Second question. We have received a communication from one of the ships. The one with the exotic hull. Very complex language, it was a rare challenge. I believe I have mastered most of it however, you can download it if you wish. They also transmitted the message in a visual format, as well as a mathematical equivalent.”
“Heh, what was that, don’t divide by zero?”
“Really, Amadeus.”
“Sorry… So, what’s the next move?”
“The next move is theirs, I have already sent a reply, same formats, as well as their own language. I simply wish to show we also understand other forms of communication.”
“Jolly good, jolly good… Question.”
“Very well.”
“Am I getting paid for this? I had to leave my melons you know, they were selling well.”
“Don’t try and jip me, Amadeus. Citadel has already told me he has a few people and Drones looking after your little farm… But I suppose I shall have to pay you something, we’ll figure that out later?”
“Ok, ok.”

---

The message transmitted was a very simple one. Transmitted as a visual signal, mathematical formula as well as every langue Cherry Blossom had in it’s data bases. It also transmitted the message in the language that seemed to be the native tongue of those on the strange little ship, not so little though on some scales. The transmission of the native tongue language would probably be a little off, as Cherry Blossom did not know the whole language, and had needed to improvise in places.

“I am the Sector-Class Artificial Intelligence, Cherry Blossom. My ship has no name other than my own, I am the captain, and the ship all in one. We are on a routine survey mission, also with the hope of establishing contact with an intelligent species. As for communication, I believe I shall be able to accommodate most forms of such. Should you wish for a copy of our base language I shall transmit it to you. Cherry Blossom, out.”

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:31 pm

"We are receiving a response, Languara..." Ao P'aria informed Tau Niem, and to a lesser extent the Captain.

Tau Niem sighed in relief and was surprised to hear Mar Marua do so as well. Though they all had their own tasks, the majority of the Command Crew watched on in wonder as the response came back in a fraction the time that it had taken the two senior most communications officers, even with the majority of the processing power of the Fr'ai'a - which is a considerable amount! Their UT was able to translate the message quite quickly. Clearly this civilization had some advanced UT as well...

I am the Sector-Class Artificial Intelligence, Cherry Blossom. My ship has no name other than my own, I am the captain, and the ship all in one. We are on a routine survey mission, also with the hope of establishing contact with an intelligent species. As for communication, I believe I shall be able to accommodate most forms of such. Should you wish for a copy of our base language I shall transmit it to you. Cherry Blossom, out.

"Peaceful communications, huh?" Sai Leae commented absentmindedly.
"What do you mean by that?" Tau Niem turned his head toward the Tactical Officer.
"I'm no linguist, but I know when I'm being shouted at." Sai Leae enlarged the image of the 'Blossom' - the noun Cherry was lost on them, "Look at this thing! Tungsten-steel alloys, with ceramic panelling. A popular combination for the hulls of warships outside the Federation...and this," She again magnified a portion of the hull, "Look at this energy weapon! If these calculations are correct, that thing could carve into a planet's crust like...well, without any real effort whatsoever." She sighed, "On top of all that, I'm detecting what appear to be mass drivers and missiles."
"Mass drivers? Missiles?" Tau Niem looked back in confusion.
"Mass drivers operate on the same principle that Energy Torpedoes do." She explained.
"I'm no engineer, nor did I dive into the specifics of historical warfare. Laymen's terms please." He retorted.
"Exactly that. We haven't used either since...Beginning of the Second Federation?" She guessed, "The point is that for all this ship's teeth, its tech is relatively out-dated."
"That doesn't mean its not a threat, just less of one than if it were made in our shipyards." Mar Marua reminded him.
"Tactical suggestions?" He looked to the Captain and Tactical Officer.
"Just don't step on any toes and we should be fine." Sai Leae remarked.
"Go for it, if we're lucky, they might have some tech worth trading for...?" Mar Marua said with a grin.
"Alright." Tau Niem nodded, before turning to Ao P'aria, "Let me see that message again..."

Tau Niem examined the message in detail, in its various forms side by side, in both their original and translated forms. Something kept coming back to him, this "Artificial Intelligence" concept... In the Danarian mindset there was only Intelligence, either something was intelligent, or it wasn't. Then there was this line that the UT wasn't translating properly, some concept so alien that perhaps the Danarian language just couldn't comprehend? "...I am the Captain and ship all in one..." What in the worlds did that mean?

"Computer?" Tau Niem lifted his chin as always when talking to the computer.
"I am standing by, Tau Niem." The computers of the Fr'ai'a responded in its clearly synthetic voice, though only a Danarian could tell that it was anything but a person.
"I need you to access the Danarian Historical Database and look for any use of the phrase 'Artificial Intelligence '."He ordered the computer, "Wait, change parameters, access all available Historical Databases on board."
"That will increase search time by approximately thirteen seconds. Do you wish to proceed?" The computer inquired.
"Yes." He stated.
"Acknowledged, beginning search. One moment please." The computer was silent for almost a minute, "Search complete. There are thirteen-thousand, two-hundred, fifty-five instances of that phrase, in three-hundred seventeen topics."
"Wow, that's more than I expected..." He remarked, "Please choose earliest topic within the Danarian Historical Database and summarize."
"Earliest known usage is in the Historical Records of the Late First Federation, Year 23,097. Chapter on the events of the Colony Ba'hedron." At the computer's statement, most of the command crew gasped and their faces grew pale, "...The scientists in the research base, handling potentially dangerous tech, inadvertently created synthetic awareness. The machine-mind then deemed organic life to be pointless, valueless and an infection upon the galaxy. Shortly thereafter it took control of the base's automated defenses and began a systematic extermination of the colonists. The events were finally ended when the Danarian Space Forces planetary garrison deemed the planet a hazard and took action. Five, Class-Three plasmatic warheads were dropped from orbit, glassing 83.7% of the planet's surface. The casualty rate was..."
"Enough." Tau Niem barked, "...Is this consistent with other records?"
"Affirmative." The computer replied, "Three other allied races have had similar experiences according to records, along with another four non-allied races that we have traded with."
"Setai reo..." Mar Marua exclaimed in shock, an expression almost taboo of use in the modern age.

Tau Niem gently pushed Ao P'aria on the shoulder until she moved out of her seat so that he could take her station. With a flurry of motion, Tau Niem composed a message.

"What are you doing?" Mar Marua asked him critically.
"Confirming my suspicions. If I am right, this should answer everything..." He stated as he pushed the send button, the message still on screen.

To the Blossom
We are having difficulty translating your messages, several nouns are giving us problems. Would you be interested in exchanging historical and linguistic databases to better facilitate communication? Attached herein are copies of both of our said libraries.

There was a huge amount of data 'piggy-backing' on the message, such a large sum of trinary-code that Tau Niem could only assume would take them forever to dig through. However, with luck and a bit of prioritization, they could use to relatively quickly improve their communications. Also, he was eager to see their historical databases... Right or wrong, he needed to know now.
The proper demonym for the Danarian People is: Danarii. 'Danarian' is the adjective form of the word Danarii and used when addressing individuals and smaller-groups (less) formally.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is your[...]companion being a f*cktard." ~ Marshall Bailey, Quantum Castaways - Ch IX.

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:51 am

The Brass Golem was now seated within a large horse shoe shaped console, both hands linked in via interface ports, currently picking apart the latest transmission. Due to the size it had instantly gone into a secure mem-crystal, that way if anything nasty lurked inside such as worms or viruses the crystal would simply be destroyed. So far though, everything seemed in order, all sections of the message cleared were being looked over by crew members, drones and sub-minds, Cherry Blossom forwarding the more interesting sections of history to most.
The Golem looked up for a moment, focusing on the spider form of Amadeus who was currently clinging to the top of the sphere, and apparently trying to etch his name into the surface with the tips of his front legs, with little success it seemed. The spider then turned topaz eyes downwards, looking back to the Golem for moment before piping up.

“What’s this made of?”
“It is a ceramal and chainglass compound, very resistant to most forms of damage.”
“Oh, very nice. How come I’ve never seen it before?”
“I’m still working on the molecular structure. Perhaps as part of your payment for this little mission I can equip your Shell with a coating of the substance.”
“Deal!”
“Very good, now come down here and take a look at this, something very interesting in their history.”
“I was never a huge fan of history.”

The spider said this as it seemed to levitate down from the top of the sphere, in reality it was lowing itself on several monomolecular wires from it’s rear legs, quickly pulling them back in once it was back on level flooring in case a discarded wire were to accidentally remove someone leg. Quietly it scuttle over to the horseshoe before allowing a packet of information to be passed on by Cherry Blossom.

“Whoa, shit. They fried the planet?”
“Indeed, though their own AI seemed more interested in killing them than anything else.”
“One could say it was like us then?”
“No, we fought when we had no choice, then we stole power from the human population, and opened a golden age for them. I think the pivotal point in our history however is the interface between Iversus Skaidon and the Creystine computer, that was in essence the first AI of the Polity, the first fully sentient one at least, and in those twenty three minuets they were linked we got masses of technological blueprints for pretty much everything.”
“So, if it were not for Skaidon and the Creystine we wouldn’t be round?”
“That is a debate that will probably last until the final days of the Polity.”
“Next move?”
“I shall transmit our historical data to them, a very clever move on their part.”
“What was?”
“Never mind, Amadeus.”
“Righto CB”

---

The AI silently cursed the little spider drone to hell and back, before compiling the message to send. Some history had been lost along the path of the Polity, but even the earliest legends were sent, legends of Dragons and sea monsters. The history of the nation on the planet Earth, the wars fought, won and lost until eventually the part about the “Long March” was sent. The Long March being the departure of Denengrads five hundred million citizens on three massive arc ships, the Megaroad-01, 02 and 03. A journey that had taken a million years as the ships drifted towards the centre of the galaxy, then around and past it until eventually they reached the far rim of the Milky Way, the whole journey undertaken in what now seemed impossibly primitive ships, ships maintained and looked after by diligent service robots and crude AI cores. A new system was settled, and cities built on all words, some in the open, some under vast domes. Then the incident with the Creystine computer and Skaidon, AI was born. Then years of war in the new solar system as companies and factions, even religions fought for control, and with the war weapons became more advanced and more deadly, and AI played a massive part in the war, AI battleships, AI controlled missiles. Very few people now realised how close the Polity had come to utter destruction in those days. And finally the Quiet War arrived, when the AI’s simply pulled the rug from under the feet of the Polity and took control of pretty much everything.
And so the rule of the AI’s began, and things were far running far more smoothly than anyone could ever remember, and the polity was expanding far out into the darkness of space.
Thankfully, the addition of the linguistic packets and historical ones had given Cherry Blossom a much firmer understanding of the alien language, and it was now confident it could be understood almost perfectly.

---

This time the message was accompanied by the Avatar of Cherry Blossom, the Blossom tree blowing gently in the wind with petals falling, mist swirling softly.

“This is Cheery Blossom. The information provided does indeed make for a much easier understanding and translation. Attached are packets documenting the history of the Polity, as well as the base language we use. I hope that you find this information interesting, and I look forward to your next transmission. Cherry Blossom, out.”

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:54 pm

As was protocol, the incoming information was channeled into hard-copy form at its source. Being quite skilled at electronic warfare themselves, they were naturally hesitant to allow new data access to their systems. This was indeed one of the greatest strengths of the Danarian engineering mindset - that each system is almost completely isolated from one another. Effectively making disabling a Danarian ship many times harder than it would appear, something that their history would hint at, but not actually come outright and say...

The meaning of the noun Cherry would not be lost on them for long, as Cherry Blossom's avatar displayed itself on the screen. A silent reverence at its beauty fell over the bridge crew as its image, nearly life-size, was projected on an empty portion of the screen. Though none of the systems in the Federation had Cherry Trees, there were flowering trees that had been adopted into various ecosystems, from their colonized systems. Tau Niem was especially moved, it reminded him of his Home that he had not seen in several years, while being in deep-space.

"That's beautiful..." Ao P'aria remarked in awe, "To think that such a thing exists!"
Tau Niem looked at her critically, at first, before remembering that their Desert Homeworld had little in the ways of trees. "On my world, the tiny islands of Kelovo, there stand massive trees that reach for the heavens. Their leaves large enough to hold you tight. Their flowers the most brilliant pale color, leading to orange tips...and the fruit," He smiled looking at her, "...large enough to rival the men that harvest them, and oh, so sweet..."
"That must be a sight to see." She remarked.
"Ah, but it is." He nodded, "I amended the chapter on Kelovo with a personal file, a video that I had captured the day before I left." He almost seemed to fade completely into memory, "I stood there, on the western rim of the Ma, an extinct volcano, just as Seul'ra crested the horizon. In unison, thousands of Kelovo trees opened their leaves, unfolding form the night before to greet the day. You cannot doubt their sapience after witnessing such a display..."
"Sapient plants?" She remarked incredulously.
"Nonsense..." The Mar Marua snorted.
"After the things I have seen, there is nothing that I doubt." Tau said in response, "It is a long held belief amongst those of us who farm the trees that they are just as intelligent as we. Just because we can't understand them, says nothing about them. It is a statement on us."
"I'll stick with the Co'bur..." Mar Marua rolled her eyes.

She was of course referring to a small, shrub-like tree that is native to Danaria. Their petals are almost pure white, save for the occasional 'star-burst' of red running out from the center. They are extremely hardy, able to grow even on the desert plateau of the capital city. Though, despite their beauty, one should be wary of their razor-sharp thorns!

Returning to his work, he quickly completed his message to the AI. Despite his reservations, he still felt compelled to try and communicate with the Synthetic-Mind. Perhaps, things were different here? A world where Synthetic and Organic had found some sort of understanding? Some, symbiosis...?

"High-Commander, I would like you to prepare an escort, with their consent, I would see this craft." Tau Niem stood, returning the console to Ao P'aria, "But first, I need to look at this information. Their history could hold a key to where we went wrong. If nothing else, it might give me an insight on their culture...?"
"Are you sure that's wise? Delivering yourself into the hands of...a Synthetic mind?" Mar Marua looked genuinely concerned.
"No, but when has anything of worth been gained without risk?" He chuckled.
"If you're sure." She nodded, "I'll inform Karai Negai that you'll be departing again soon..."
"No!" He snapped, "...I'll take care of that. Thank you."
"Alright." She nodded, understanding what he meant.

With that, he turned and walked out. He had to make his way to the lift, from there, he would go to the 'Sealed Room ', a dead-space, completely isolated from the rest of the ship. Even communications didn't work in there, for fear of anything within jumping into the ship's internal communications network.

---

To the Cherry Blossom
Thank you for including the avatar, it was beautiful. The crew and I enjoyed it very much.
I was hoping that you would agree to host a small party from my crew, so that I might formally open diplomatic channels? From what we have detected, your atmosphere is 99.7% compatible with ours, so no special measures will be necessary for our arrival. We will be needing appropriate docking procedures however. Shuttle specifications will be included.
On a personal note, I have included an index reference to a more personal file within the historical information sent to you. I believe that you might enjoy as well.

Their shuttle was relatively small - thirty feet long, fifteen wide and eighteen tall, with a rear hatch. Maximum crew ten, plus a pilot.

The indexed file reference that Tau Niem included in his message, was to the file on Kelovo, his home planet. Of course, the video that he mentioned was given special treatment in the file and labeled of high importance.

The video was recorded in amazingly high definition, even recorded with 3D technology, so that it could be easily viewed in a holographic representation from anywhere in the visible frame. This of course made the image huge, but the quality would allow for the feeling of being there, as the green-star Seul'ra rose over the horizon of the expansive ocean visible in the distance and the massive leaves of an equally impressive sea of trees welcomed the day.

There was an equally large amount of information on his home. The fact that nearly all of Kelovo's tiny population of fifty-seven million resided on two equatorial islands, with an equivalent landmass a time and a half that of Madagascar - most of that in a single massive city of the easternmost point of the northern island. The fact that it had a busy space port and was a center of regional trade. It was also home to the Regional Danarian Space Forces garrison and the second largest shipyards in the whole of the Federation! There was also the fact that they had been in self imposed exile for quite some time, until recently, by Danarian standards... No doubt their file on the Second Federation and the J'akial wars was intriguing, but there was so much. The greater part of their historical records, somewhere around two-thirds, was dedicated on that period of their history alone!

---

Tau Niem had isolated himself in the 'Sealed Room ' to review the information that Cherry Blossom had sent over. The Hard-copy storage device was personally brought down by one of the crew from the Communications and Electronic Warfare Center, several decks up. The room was almost perfectly spherical and was a surround interface for holographic information. He stood there, bathing in their records. Their history fascinated him, to think of the line between Synthetic and Organic minds that blurred! ...and the two working together? His fear had dissipated, and only blatant curiosity remained. In the middle of his thoughts, he heard the door open and knew that only Karai Negai had the engineering codes to open it so easily and without warning.

"Karai, look at this!" He exclaimed, his face plastered with the smile of a child in a candy store.

A sudden slap across the face brought him out of his wonder.

"What's this about you going over to that ship, Tau!?" Despite their casual exchange of only first names between each other, and the joking humor implied with such an action, she was clearly not amused.
"Its my job." He reminded her in a calm voice.
"Like hell it is! So long as I am your partner, you're not going to put yourself in that kind of danger!" She snapped at him, she really was furious.
"Have you seen any of this? This is a functioning society where Synthetic minds and Organic ones coexist! This could be the biggest discovery of the Third Federation! Nay, in the history of the Danarii!" He exclaimed, trying to show her the value of this meeting, "Imagine if we can gain even a small insight into where we went wrong?"
"That's exactly what I fear, we did go wrong and so did a score of others!" Though she was no longer shouting, she was still worked up.
"I know. Really, I do." He consoled her as they embraced, "The thought of walking into a den of Synthetics does not thrill me, but this is what I live for!"
"If you're going, then I am too." She declared.
"No, I don't want you in that kind of danger too!" He exclaimed.
"I don't want you there either, so fair is fair." She stated, and with that he knew there was no changing her mind.
"Fine. I'll talk to the Captain..." He submitted.
"Good. I'll be ready before you are." She said confidently.
"I'll meet you at the shuttle." He said pecking her on the lips.

He sighed in resignation as she left him to his information. "I can't beat her, can I?" He said with a chuckle and a grin...

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Once more Cherry Blossom was picking the files apart at an astounding rate, learning everything there was to know from this new batch of information. And also, for some reason, so was Amadeus. The fact the War Drone was taking such an interest in something that did not involve killing or blowing things up was something that Cherry Blossom found most suspicious. Even as that though passed the Spider turned to look at the brass Golem, topaz eyes flickering lightly as it processed something.

“Shit on a stick! Have you seen this!?”

With a mental groan the Golem turned to look at the Spider, it’s own pink eyes flaring slightly. It quickly linked a sub-mind into the Golem, the sub-mind could deal with this little conversation while Cherry Blossom actually focused on work and not procrastination with the War Drone.

“What is it, Amadeus?”
“This, look!”

Suddenly the white inner walls of the sphere went black, before exploding in vibrant colour, the hologram emitters had been activated. Instantly Cherry Blossom banished the sub-mind from the Golem body and shifted back into, furious and curious as to how the Drone had managed to sneak past the spheres security programs and activated internal systems. A quick scan indicated that it had been a combination of brute force and reprogramming, and it had happened in less than a nano-second, instantly new security measures were put into place to stop another act like this.

“Amadeus, if you ever do something like that again, I shall make sure that you never work again, and live in permanent seclusion, far from Polity space.”
“Ok, ok, Calm down boss. Look around you!”

The eyes of the Golem shifted to normal light intake, and then took in the scene filling the sphere. It was impressive to say the least. Trees that must have been measured in miles for height. Leaves that could allow a man to sit upon them with probably a high degree of safety, flowers as large as grav cars and huge fruit, most seeming to be the same size as Amadeus’s body. It was one of the more impressive natural sights the AI had seen, and it was certain that such trees would make for a very interesting research project, another thing that would have to wait. With a mental flick the hologram disappeared, returning the sphere to a clinical white.

“I grant you, most impressive.”
“Impressive, are you shitting me! I would pay anything for seeds from those monsters, imagine the profit I could make from harvesting those things!”
“Indeed, perhaps you will get the chance to acquire some seeds in the future.”
“Yeah. So, what of this lot then, you gonna become the expert on them?”
“Sadly no, I still have much to learn about Hive Tech. Perhaps learning of these new ones shall be the honour of Sniper, or Schrödinger's Cat.”
“So, no one picked out yet?”
“No, no one knows of this except us, and Polity Central.”

Silence followed for a moment, and then the annoying sound of Amadeus tapping his front pair of legs against the floor, it was indeed annoying. And from past experience it usually meant something was on the Drones mind.

“What is it, Amadeus?”
“Well… If I were to take on the roll of learning about this race…”
“You, I though you were quite content to farm melons and on occasion provide back up on Line Worlds?”
“Well, I am. But after a millennia maybe it’s time for a change.”
“Mhm, it would involve a significant upgrade to your mind. A change that will result in you acquiring the status of Sector-Class.”
“Sector-Class. I would be placed in a ship like this?!”
“You would indeed, though a more modern version I admit.”
“Oh.. Right.”
“If you would like to continue at you current level, then you could simply copy your mind and place it in a different Drone Shell, then another version of Amadeus would live the normal life, while you took on a greater role.”
“Oh, I suppose that wouldn’t be to bad… And I could keep the spider shell?”
“Of course. If you want I shall forward your request to Polity Central, and depending on the outcome of out interactions with this people… Well, who knows, you could become Sector-Class.”
“Polity Central wouldn’t just turn me down.”
“I think it would consider it a relief that you seemed to want some responsibility”
“Cheers.”

---

Cherry Blossom then prepared a reply to the query of a meeting, also including two packets of information about Skaidon and the Quiet War, a brief though had pushed these forward as possibly interesting to these people due to their own bad experience with AI development.

“We would be honour to receive you as guests of the Polity, I shall see to it that bay 119 is made ready for your shuttle craft, the bay is on the side of my ship facing your own, and will be indicated by green strobes. On a personal note also, you have a most impressive home world, an individual on my ship has already expressed great interest in those astounding trees, I am sure he is eager to learn more of them. I await you arrival, and shall ensure that a comfortable space is made ready for those who will make the crossing. Cherry Blossom, out”

Attached---

Quiet War
This is often how the AI takeover is described, and even using ‘war’ seems overly dramatic. It was more a slow usurpation of human political and military power, while humans were busy using that power against each other. It wasn’t even very stealthy. Analogies have been drawn with someone moving a gun out of the reach of a lunatic while that person is ranting and bellowing at someone else. And so it was. AIs, long used in the many corporate, national and religious conflicts, took over all communication networks and the computer control of weapons systems. Most importantly, they already controlled the enclosed human environments scattered throughout the solar system. Also establishing themselves as corporate entities, they soon accrued vast wealth with which to employ human mercenary armies. National leaders in the solar system, ordering this launch or that attack, found their orders either just did not arrive, or caused nil response. Those same people ordering the destruction of the AIs, found themselves weaponless, in environments utterly out of their control, and up against superior forces and, on the whole, public opinion. It had not taken the general population, for whom it was a long-established tradition to look upon their human leaders with contempt, very long to realise that the AIs were better at running everything. And it is very difficult to motivate people to revolution, when they are extremely comfortable and well off.

Skaidon (Iversus)
Skaidon was a genius. At age six he took one of the old style IQ tests and was rated at 180. After he was congratulated it is reported that he said, "If you like I'll do a test to 190 now I know how they work." Throughout his life Skaidon mocked those he called, "Hard-wired lead asses." Should you wish to know more about this I direct you to one of his numerous biographies.
Today we are aware of the dangers of directly interfacing a human mind with a computer (Not to be confused with the less direct methods of auging or gridlinking). Skaidon was the first to do this and it killed him in less than thirty minutes, but leaving a legacy to humanity that is awesome. It took him twenty-three minutes. In those minutes he and the Craystein computer became the most brilliant mind humankind has ever known. He gave us Skaidon technology from which has come instantaneous travel, antigravity, and much of our field technology. The Craystein computer, in its super-cooled vault under the city of Ueda, contains the math and blueprints for the Runcible (For reasons not adequately explained Skaidon loved the nonsense poem by Edward Lear and used its wording in his formulae to stand for those particles and states of existence we until then had no words for, hence: Runcible - the device, spoon - the five dimensional field that breaks into nil-space. Pea-green is a particle now tentatively identified at the tachyon.) and to begin to understand some of this math let us first look at that nil-space shibboleth wrongly described as quantum planning ...

---

“Right, Amadeus, get down to bay 119 to receive our guests. Actually, Akito, go with him, a human face will probably be a welcome sight.”
“You saying I cant be trusted?”
“I’m saying that being greeted by a spider the size of a cargo crate will possibly be an interesting experience for them, Akito will be an anchor to reality. And for the sake of yourself, behave in a civil manor! I’ll transmit you their base language, then at least you can make the first face to face conversation.”
“Cool, Sector-Class in no time… Where are you going to be?”
“I am going to get a section of this ship ready for their arrival, something impressive, my auto-factories are already online and working.”
“Ok, keep it real!”

With not another word the Spider quickly scuttled forwards, exiting the room and almost seemed to bounce with excitement down the corridors of the ship, Cherry Blossom making sure to always keep several eyes on the Drone. In the mean time a vast section of the ship began to change in internal structure. Perhaps something grand, in red?

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Tau Niem had only recently left this study of their historical files and was taking a brief chance to eat while his personal UT was loading the pertinent linguistic data. It was a rare treat for him to go into a meeting with such a knowledge of a race's language and culture. Though he knew it could not possibly be complete in every sense, it was still more than enough for a first introduction. It reminded him of his early years, working with the Parethians, one of the closest allies of the Danarii, second perhaps only to the Marethians. He had spent years both on Kelovo, and several more on Parthraia as a diplomat for his people, first of his Clan - the Ne Ni Nei - and later in service of the Federation as a whole. Though it would be several more years before he became Lang A Danarii...

"Tau Niem, we have received word back from the Cherry Blossom. They are ready whenever you are." The Captain's voice over the ship's internal communications almost startled him, it was something that he just never got used to.

He hesitated momentarily, the fact that she had referred to the AI as an Astreme - Lit: Star-Ship - was telling. She had not yet informed her crew as to the nature of the talks. Not entirely surprising, but at the time it still made him nervous. Such a fact could not stay secret on a ship for very long, so he had learned.

"Thank you, High-Commander. Please inform my escort that I will be ready momentarily." He responded casually.
"As you wish." She said kindly, "There is also a small parcel of information that they sent over, it appears to be an addendum, or rather a source of more in depth information that...they, thought would be helpful."
"I see, please have it brought down to the shuttle bay?" He requested.
"I already have someone bringing it down." She sounded amused, she knew him too well.
"My thanks." He said, unknowingly bowing his head.

He took a large bite and chuckled to himself. He still found it odd the respect and indeed admiration that he got from the Captain of the Fr'ai'a, as well as the mostly female bridge crew. Yes, war was long the profession of men, but in their society, with its strong matriarchal tendencies it was rare for a man to get that much respect. Especially for a diplomat. Perhaps it was the fact that he was Lang A Danarii, thus chosen of the Imperators - most of which were female...or perhaps it was because he was Ne Ni Nei? He had initially expected his elders' advice and even, warnings, to have been overblown as he prepared to leave Kelovo, but they had proven true. The Federation, both the common man and even the Imperators, had great reverence for those of his clan, due in no small part to the role his great-grandfather had played during the end of the J'akial War. The fact that they were also cast in the legends of the past, in the time before the First Federation, as heroes during the age of the warring clans also contributed. Because of all this, much more was expected of him at the same time. In addition to being a diplomat, he had undergone the same training that his commando guard, far above and beyond what the Space Forces expected of him, and he had qualified as a tier one medic.

It didn't take him long to make his way down to the ready room adjacent to the hanger, where his wife, his pilot and their eight commandos, whom he had personally picked to be his escort, all waited. Most of them were ready and waiting, just bantering among themselves. As his eyes found Karai, talking with their pilot, whom the two were good acquaintances, he saw her in the same snug, matte-black one piece suits that they all wore and he could help himself but think that he should get her off ship more often. A fact that did not escape her as she took notice of him. She gave him a mental wink and a provocative image that took all his concentration to shrug off. He made a mental note to get back at her later...

"Languara, is it true? Is the ship staffed by Synthetics?" The youngest woman of his eight man team, with the same red hair and attitude to match his wife, asked him with no shortage of fear in her voice.

Tau shot his wife an angry glare. She responded with an innocent, What did you want me to tell them? Thought.

"Yes, it is true." He admitted, turning to the rest of his guard, "However, these people seem to be in peaceful symbiosis with Synthetics. I don't want you to worry about this. You are the best there are and you know that I trust you. I ask you to trust me, as you always have." They all nodded, and that's why he loved them, "Captain, please inform the Cherry Blossom that we will be departing momentarily?"
"Will do." She responded swiftly.
"Alright everyone, on the crazy train." Their pilot said with his usual peppy attitude.

Tau slipped on his black suit and then draped his dark-grey long-coat, with blue and green edging, over that.

---
To Cherry Blossom
This is Captain Mar Marua of the DSF Fr'ai'a, our shuttle is on its way.

---

Tau Niem barely had time to read the information that Cherry Blossom had sent over before they arrived in hanger 119. As the back hatch opened, the eight commandos streamed out, matte black from head to toe, their helms included, their weapons were unholstered, but held in what might be best described as 'parade' position - clearly not threatening. As they formed ranks on either side, Tau Niem followed them, who was in turn followed by Karai Negai, both of whom also had their helms on, waiting on their hosts to make the first move.

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 am

Hanger bay 119 was nothing special, simply a working docking bay, it’s walls gun metal in colour, streaked in places with oil and other forms of lubricants, but still remarkably clean for a docking bay that saw a lot of activity. As the shuttle came to a rest brilliant white lights flickered into life on the roof of the bay almost two hundred feet above. A soft hum sounded before a shimmering barrier snapped across the opening to space, a hard field. Quickly air began to fill the bay, and it seemed only moments had passed before the pay was equalized to the same pressure as the rest of the ship, the air seeming to have a slight hint of something almost like bleach lingering in it.
Almost three minuets passed before and sign of life was seen, and that life was the rushing form of Amadeus and Akito Rose.

---

One of the larger bay door hissed upwards into a recess swiftly before the giant chrome spider scuttled into the hanger bay, standing at over six meters tall it was an impressive sight, and a slightly unnerving one as well, the leg span alone was twelve meters, each leg seeming to end in an impossibly sharp point that should have sunk into the deck, but for some reason seemed no to. It crawled into the room in a swift motion, before coming to a half about ten meters from the landing party. Then the form of Akito Rose rounded the side of the door, also hurrying into the chamber at a swift walk that was almost a jog, sporting the typical white lab coat of a scientist.
He was a rather striking figure, his skin tone an olive complexion, the same as most in the Polity, he stood just under six feet tall with sharp and angular features that seemed to have been carved, his hair a dark brown that clashed with his impossibly bright emerald coloured eyes, clearly a genetic modification. He slowed a little, and then strode under the body of Amadeus, the spider raising a little to let him do so, eight topaz eyes watching him and seeming to narrow before the Drone looked back to the party also. Silence followed for a few moments, before the spider raised one of its legs, and jabbed the man in the back lightly, a gesture of “get on with it!”.
Akito stiffened a little, then swatted the spiders leg away before giving a smile to the boarding party.

“Ah.. Welcome to the research ship Cherry Blossom… I’m sorry that we’re a little late, but it’s a big ship and took longer than we though.”

A small noise that could have been a snigger came from the spider before it tilted it’s head down, talking to Akito in a quiet tone.

“Do you know the language, or do you want me to translate?”
“Translate for gods sake!”

The Drone sniggered again, before squatting down a little on all legs until it’s body was almost touching the floor, the eight demonic eyes seeming to look at each person in turn before flickering lightly, committing each person to a new file in his memory. Then with a theatrical clearing of a throat he did not have, Amadeus spoke, the tone clipped and precise.

“Good day. My name is Amadeus, and this is Mister Akito Rose. We are both currently crew members on Cherry Blossoms current mission. It is with great pleasure that we are the first to welcome you to a Polity ship, and we hope that you have a most pleasant visit. Will your shuttle craft require and form of servicing or refuelling?”

As the two awaited a reply a message drifted into Amadeus’s mind from Cherry Blossom, a slightly sarcastic one at that.

“Very nice Amadeus, why don’t you offer them a huge pile of gold while your at it?”
“Well, you said to be civil and polite.”
“Yes, just try and keep it up, will you?”
“Will do Boss.”

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:22 pm

At the sight of the massive metal spider, the entourage shuffled slightly, before regaining composure. All of them save Tau Niem, standing in the middle of them. It would be a cold day on Danaria before he would show fear at the sight of anyone, or anything. He was emboldened at the sight of the Human entering the bay, perhaps the things he had read were true? If nothing else, a fellow Organic would give him the opportunity to see just how they treated their partners...

The exchange between the mechanical-arachnid and the human was a telling sign for Tau Niem, but it shocked his compatriots. Karai Negai even went to move, but he stopped her imperceptibly - something that he had wanted to do since earlier this day. This continued for several moments as the two greeted them. He knew himself to be fortunate, if he were not wearing his helm, they would've seen him grinning at them.

Tau Niem quickly glanced back down at his left wrist, where a small readout sat atop his suit. After confirming once again that their air was indeed breathable and free of toxins, he removed his helm. With a deep breath, he was relieved that the air was acceptable, if a little 'over-processed' for his tastes. Perhaps they lacked the same technology they had? All in all, he looked Human enough, in fact, if they had not known better, they might have thought he was. His thick, brown hair fell to his shoulders, while his intense grey-green eyes, stared curiously at his Organic counterpart across from him. The one major difference between them was their skin tone, his was quite pale - as much as any Caucasian could be... He again looked down at his wrist's display in curiosity, before shrugging an eyebrow.

"That's alright." He said in their language, while nodding with a slight smile, "I can understand both of you just fine. As can my entire party, all of our suits have built in UT." At that, he looked up at the large mechanical-arachnid that called himself Amadeus and switched to his native tongue, "You handle the language quite well Amadeus, far better than most aliens. You do us justice." He bowed his head to him, before continuing, "Eg'eh Tau Niem A Ne Ni Nei va Kelovo S'w Lang A Danarii. You may address me as Tau Niem if you please."

Assuming that Amadeus had looked over the Danarian archive on their culture, he would know both that Danarian names tended to be long - gaining parts as they gain accomplishments - and also that addressing a Danarian by one name only would be an unwise faux pas. It is a symbol of personal familiarity that is not shared lightly, most especially because it effectively changes the meaning of their name...
What he said would translate approximately as such:
I'm "The one who wanders" from the (clan) of the Old Ones, (born) upon Kelovo, (and) the Honored Voice of all Danarii.

"I don't believe that our shuttle requires anything," He turned to the woman behind him, "...Karai Negai, my partner, does it?"

For a moment, she looked almost startled, as if she was not expecting to be called on. Though really, she was simply unaccustomed to hearing her husband address her as such, they had been married so long that they both had become accustomed to using only a single name. She quickly recovered however and also removed her helm, something that was considered good manners among the Danarii, before responding. Her eyes were the most beautiful, vivid leaf-green that Tau Niem had ever seen - though that was no doubt was because the two were a couple - and her hair was the most brilliant ember-red. Her skin tone however, was more 'tanned' than his, somewhere between Olive and Caucasian.

"No, the micro-fusion power-plants on this model of shuttle only require fuel every..." She stopped to think a moment, "Sixty-three thousand hours of operation, give or take a few hundred...but thank you."

Most species, and indeed even most advanced UT's, would've missed it, however, Karai Negai spoke in a slightly different accent than her husband, another indication that they were not of the same clan... However, Amadeus seemed keen enough that he might catch such a difference?

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:34 pm

The man, Akito, stepped forwards a little after it was evident that the visitors had easily mastered the language of the Polity, or rather their UT’s had. He gave a warm smile, nodding lightly before speaking.

“Ah, well that will make things a little easier on any Human crew members you may meet, those not gridlinked at any rate. Ones such as myself, and please forgive our little discussion. Amadeus seems to have an odd sense of humour.”

He looked to the Drone as he said this last part, raising an eyebrow slightly, before once more turning back to the group as at some unspoken command a smaller door in the left side of the hanger opened, it was large enough to admit people with no problems, But Amadeus it seemed would have to either lead the way, or take the rear to avoid accidently standing on anyone.

“Any way, we hope that you have a pleasant stay aboard, this I’m afraid is no luxury liner, simply a research ship, but I believe Cherry Blossom is currently making ready some segment of the ship or a more civilized meeting, as well as a small tour of some sections that we will be passing though.”

He took as a small step back, taking a half bow at the waist, as was customary among most from the Polity, he then waived a hand lightly, allowing Amadeus to speak once more.

“Thank you very much Tau Niem, I like to think that I am a quick learner, even if I do appear to be standing still when pitted against minds such as Cherry Blossom and the other Sector-Class. Drones such as myself tend not to have long names, simply ones that we choose or ourselves. As you know, mine is Amadeus, in our own language it means Gods Beloved. By your own name I take it that you are held in quite high regard, yes?”

The spider shuffled a little, the front pair of legs once more tapping softly against the ground in a manner that suggested this was an old habit the Drone had picked up along his road that was life, and one he intended to cling on to. He then stopped quickly, as if realising he was doing it and was a little ashamed of it in some way. He then turned his eight topaz eyes to the woman.

“Pleased to meet you, Karai Negai. Very reliable, the micro-pile reactors, I have a similar device that provides me with power also. Since your ship requires no form of maintenance this bay will be sealed upon or exit, and will be off limits to all members of the crew.”

The spider then paused for a moment, its head tilting slightly in a human manor before it continued.

“I take it from your accent that you are from a different region of your world, another island perhaps?”

A moment later, lights flickered on in the tunnel that sat on the other side of the newly opened hatch, it was a brilliant white pathway, the walls perfectly smooth, but with no sign of any light emitters, the white clean light simply seemed to be there. And after about a hundred feet the walls turned to glass, Chainglass, a meter thick. Once at the glass the party would be able to look through and observe some of the crew at work. Working on alien artefacts that had been collected over the months, some no more than pottery, being made ready for shipment to museums once all that could be learnt had been learnt. Other chambers possessed more exotic artefacts, one a huge black sphere almost ten meters in diameter, being examined by several crab shaped drones and two human crew members, all looking a slightly confused, and very weary.
Akito then smiled to the group, bowing once more.

“Due to the size of this passage, Amadeus will either have to take the lead, or bring up the rear. As you are guests and your comfort is paramount you may choose which place he will take.”

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Tau Niem listened even as the opening door briefly drew his attention. He had assumed what its purpose was, even before Akito had told them.
"The Fr'ai'a is a military vessel too, I'm sure that it won't be that different?" Karai Negai assumed.
"Well, she does have a military crew and is registered under the Danarian Space Forces, but our mission is strictly of a diplomatic nature." Tau Niem said nervously, he usually left out the fact that the Fr'ai'a was the property of the Danarian Space Forces - he didn't want to give off the wrong impression!

If they cared, they didn't say anything, but continued. However, Tau Niem just could not comprehend the speed of Cherry Blossom. Their Nano-computers had a peak speed, you can increase the bandwidth, but the speed eventually tops out. Mind you, that's not to say they're slow, quite to the contrary! At Amadeus' assumption regarding his name, he was slightly shocked. Most species either understood the concept completely, or missed the significance all together, so it was not a question that he had ever been asked before... However, before he could answer, Karai Negai spoke up.

"Why yes." She said with pride, "Recognized by the council of Imperators themselves!"
"Well that is true..." He felt uncomfortable, he never was one to brag.

Luckily, Amadeaus changed the subject, by mentioning Karai's accent. That was a surprise for him...

"Huh?" She looked to Tau Niem with in confusion, "My accent?"
"Yes, we two are from different clans, different planets." Tau Niem chuckled, "Actually, I am the one with the accent...isn't that right sub-commander?"
"That's right, he can be a pain in our asses sometimes." One of his commandos nodded in agreement, and sure enough, her voice sounded much closer to that of Karai Negai's...
"You see, the Ne Ni Nei left Danaria - our homeworld - before the First Federation and went into a self-imposed exile. We only recently rejoined our brothers and sisters, when they started expanding into our region of space, as they fled from the J'akial." He explained, "Shortly there after, we won the war and Kelovo became the capital of the new region. Karai Negai's great-grandparents were among the first colonists on their planet."
"I suppose that's what happens when you've colonized a few dozen worlds?" Karai Negai said nonchalantly.

However, as the lights came on in the hallway, they quickly forgot their simple banter. At their offer, they chose to have Amadeus follow them, that way they could still look into his eyes when they spoke, something that Danarians value very highly. Several of the artifacts drew their attention for a few moments, however, it was the large black sphere that really drew a reaction. At least from Karai Negai...

"I'd inform them to be careful with that. It looks strangely reminiscent of De'quar technology." She said, pointing at the sphere, "They have a pension for booby-trapping their tech, so that it explodes if tampered with." She said rather matter of factly, "But if you could dissect it... Think of the tech!" She sounded enthralled at the mere thought of it.
"Few pieces of their technology have ever successfully been reverse engineered by our people. They are more technically advanced than we are, in some aspects..." Tau Niem informed Amadeaus.

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Amadeus was having a little trouble negotiating the corridor, his main body could occasionally be heard scraping slightly against a wall, or banging into some slightly protruding object. He had high suspicions that this was the intention of Cherry Blossom, a way at getting back at him in some small manor for his earlier behaviour, still he was currently seeing no funny side to it, as he had to make his way down the tunnel as a trapdoor spider might, legs all forward apart from the back pair, making it seem that he was stalking to the group. He answered from the back of the pack however to several of the earlier question.

“Ah, well. This may be a research ship, but I think you will find that these Sector-Class AI’s like to make impressions upon us mere mortals, a show of what they can do with their resources. I don’t think there is any elitism behind it… They just do it because they can.. I would.”

He paused for a moment as his Shell once more impacted against some small handle that seemed to serve no purpose at all, apart from to be in his way. A thin leg raised upwards a little, bending at the tip into a manipulator that he used to grip the handle, and simply rip it from the wall with something of a satisfied sigh. He was a War Drone deep down, and took pleasure in destruction, even if it was of small furnishings.

“Counsel of Imperators. There is still a lot of your information I need to absorb, I don’t have anything near the processing power of Cherry Blossom, but the title alone sounds overly impressive, a high honour, I assume?”

At the front of the group, Akito had out a small clip board type object, and currently had it on record, taking in the conversation about Danaria, as he was sure Cherry Blossom, and even Amadeus would wish to listen to it again, much was to be learnt from listening, not all could be downloaded after all, such at a tone of voice. It seemed his turn to speak now.

“Very interesting. Worlds very rarely leave the Polity you see. When they do it is because more than eighty percent of the population have voted to do so, and usually within a year they come back to the whole because the systems of government they try simply fall apart, to many greedy people at the top. The other reason would that the Warden… Ah, the Planetary AI had been targeted and destroyed by separatist groups, all Runcibles on the world will shut down with no AI to control them, and no Polity Central Security forces will be able to come though, so they must travel by star ship and that can take weeks or months… Usually by the time they get there the planet will be a radioactive scrap yard. Naturally the inner systems are very stable, it’s the outer ones on the expanding borders that are always usually trouble worlds, we call them Line Worlds, and the border is The Line of Polity… Your planet used to be classed as Line world, didn’t it Amadeus?”
“What, oh, Citadel, yeah. Until about fifty years ago, now it’s a stable world and the Warden can keep on top of things, someone once tried taking him out by dropping a Cargo Hauler on the Runcible complex… That was interesting to watch.”

Akito stopped the party for a minuet when it came to the chamber holding the black sphere, nodding though the meter thick chainglass to those inside as he listened to the woman part with the warning.

“You lot catch that, don’t press any buttons.”

A tinny reply came back over some unseen speaker in the walls., one of the crab drones apparently, as it was waving it’s pincers in the air theatrically.

“Thanks Akito, I feel so much safer now for knowing that!”
“Yeah, we’re only trying to get a mass reading in any case”

The second reply was from a tall woman who seemed impossibly thin, possibly due to having grown up in a zero-g habitat. Akito gave another nod, then turned to the group.

“We are well aware of the danger involved with tinkering. We have come across ruins of a race we simply call “The Hive” Their tech is very nasty stuff, the best AI’s in the Polity wont touch it with a ten foot pole, it is far beyond anything we could think up, the first time a Hive node was discovered… Ah, a small object, no bigger than a pebble. The first time we found one of those, we lost an entire planet to it, some very difficulty chooses had to be made that day… Now each of these chambers is under what we call the “Flash” protocol. The nano-second anything goes wrong the entire chamber will be locked down and ejected into space via a fusion torch engine, then destroyed with an antimatter device.”

More chambers rolled onwards, each one containing something different. One contained nothing but a granite cube stilling on a single bench and an ant like Drone, each time the drone got within a few feet of the cube it would emit a whine and begin to levitate, at witch point the Drone would back off hurriedly before stamping about in frustration, possibly having tried everything it could think of to get close to the thing. Another was empty, yet more filled with simple items of pottery and primitive tools. One was even occupied by several small screaming creatures that were hurling themselves about the chamber.

“these little critters are interesting… They live on a world that is on the fringe of this solar system, minus 200 degrees, yet the metabolism is almost of the scale, we think they have a pure alcohol blood makeup, but no one has been brave enough to go in there, and the last telefactor we sent in was pulled apart.”

About then meters away, another door hissed open, the scene beyond could not have been more different from the current tunnel. For a start, it was wide enough to happily admit Amadeus with room to spare, the other difference was the décor. The floor was a vast red carpet, inches thick and from looking at it one could see no person had ever walked on it. The walls were also red, with fine gold detailing and trim running down them, candle sconces hung from the wall every two feet lighting the corridor is a magnificent light. Twenty meters down was a set of ornate wooden doors, each with huge solid brass handles that glinted in the light. Slowly these doors swung open, and the room beyond was equally magnificent. A huge dining table complete with candelabra, pates and cutlery. Sofas and chairs in all corners as well as smaller tables that hosted an array of bottles.
Cherry Blossom it seemed had been busy constructing this section of the interior, and awaited them inside.

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Tau Niem had been turned slightly as he walked, in order to listen to Amadeus, when he had caught onto the 'handle' protruding from the wall. He had begun to raise his hand to help, when the large machine promptly ripped it from the wall. An act that Tau Niem could've never hoped to achieve with mere muscular strength. Lowering his hand, he made eye contact with the drone and grinned approvingly. Though he said nothing about the subject, it was the way of the Ne Ni Nei to rise above obstacles, and more often than not that meant through force. They had not gained their legendary status amongst Danarii at the table of peace, but on the field of war. A fact that Tau Niem struggled with, when among his own people.

Soon thereafter Amadeus inquired on the Imperators...
"Yes, I am only one of five honored with the title of Lang A Danarii, at this time. It effectively grants me the ability to negotiate on behalf of the Council of Imperators themselves, without gaining their approval beforehand." He explained, "You see, our government is a functioning meritocracy and the Imperators are the ultimate examples of what it means to be Danarian. They are the final authority, at the top of our government. Individual planets deal with mundane affairs themselves, usually in a direct democratic form. Regionally, planets are ruled by the Clans in a representative-democracy, they deal with financial and legal issues mostly. The High-Command coordinates the massive dance between the civilian government, the trade-coalition, and the military of the Federation. Finally, at the top is the Council of Imperators, they maintain the balance between the High-Command and the Republic, as well as coordinating our technological development, finally they deal with diplomatic affairs, such as contact with new species, trade agreements, and even the declaration and overall strategy of war." He sighed, understanding the workings of the Federation was difficult even for some Danarians, "The Federation really is a huge, complicated and overlapping machine. Each level of government is checked by at least one other and the popular consent of the people. If the people don't like how you're doing your job, then you won't last long."

Meanwhile, near the front of the line, Karai Negai was Watching Akito intently, trying to determine the nature of the device that he was using. She assumed that it must be some sort of recording device, perhaps they wished to make a record of their first contact? In that case, she felt privileged to be coming along!

The group paused at the container with the black sphere, as Akito made sure to deliver Karai Negai's warning. She was genuinely worried, the risks that those two were taking, were astronomical. Few Danarians would take that sort of risk, even for the chance to get their hands on De'quar tech... On top of that, the thought that they would merely jettison them into space and vaporize them with anti-matter made her stomach queasy. Brute-force science was far more efficient at getting answers, but far more costly in manpower. It was a major reason that she didn't go into the science field, it could be far too dangerous at times!

In between chambers, Tau Niem spoke up, regarding the heritage of his Clan.
"Actually, Akito..." He hesitated for a moment, before remembering that was how the man had introduced himself, "Our clan left the homeworld, prior to the colonization of Kelovo, with the intent of returning one day, when our kinsmen had matured beyond their warlike nature."
"That's quite a statement coming from a Ne Ni Nei..." One of his helmed commandos said critically.
"The application of force, is the option of last resort." He glared back at his guard, "Defeat is an option that no true Danarian would ever accept."
Though the commando's visor was opaque to the outside observer, Tau Niem stared him down as though it were as clear as glass.
"No, it is not." He said in submission.

The group listened intently, as they continued. Even looking on at the strange creatures bouncing around their cell, wailing terribly. Several of Tau Niem's guard shuttered as they neared the container, they were visibly shaken, quite disturbed, though it did not appear to be the noise that was doing so. However, none of them spoke, or said why. They did however look somewhat relieved once they were well past and into the long, red hall. Though they were subtle about it, Tau Niem's escort surveyed every square inch of the space with precision, careful not to let their charge walk into danger. Even they seemed almost overwhelmed once they entered the grand dining hall...

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Akito grinned a little as he entered the large and ornate chamber, turning a little so as to walk backwards for a few steps.

“Mhm, no doubt Cherry Blossom had all this shipped in and constructed while we were on our way here, show off.”

The metal form of Amadeus then slipped into the room once the whole party had entered, his legs stretching out, body rising once more to almost five meters off the ground as he stalked his way a little off to the side, and then settled down to squat on the red carpet, his eyes also taking in each detail of the chamber for a moment. Akito at that point addressed the issue of the Flash chambers, upon seeing the expression on the face of Karai Negai

“I’m afraid the Flash chambers are necessary. If something dangerous were to be unleashed we would much rather lose a few people and drones, than lose half the ship. Everyone who manages to make it onto this ship is well aware of the dangers involved. But naturally every AI and human mind is backed up each day, so they will never really die if something goes wrong.”

It was then that something moved at the far end of the table, a huge chair was pushed backwards, like the rest around the table but built for a figure who was much greater in size than a human.
The huge brass Golem that currently was under the direct control of Cherry Blossom stood slowly, standing at eight feet tall. It then strode around one side the table, light glinting off every surface as pink eyes took in the group, the mouth extending into a smile that also glinted with what seemed to be diamond teeth. Despite the impressive stature of the Golem the voice was quite soft, and polite.

“Ah, Welcome to the Polity research ship Cherry Blossom. I would like to point out that this body is not in fact Cherry Blossom, I have no body as I am this ship, but this can act as a body for personal interaction. It is a great honour to have you aboard my ship. I don’t know if Akito or Amadeus mentioned, but you are the first intelligent race we have come across in over two millennia. So naturally this is a great day for the Polity. I suspect that this news will be all over the news nets once Polity Central figures out the best way to announce it, and also has a little more information. I trust that your stay so far has been acceptable. Ah, and please, feel free to sit. You must have questions, just as I do.”
Last edited by Denengrad on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Karai Negai had not expected Akito to speak to her and mixed with her new surroundings, the likes of which were rare in Danarian space, shocked her slightly. She understood the reasons, but still didn't like it. Granted, some Danarian science projects were placed under similar circumstances, but still... The end of his statement struck her as odd.
"But what is the mind, without a soul? Surely, even your science can't capture the essence of a soul...?" She looked at him curiously, until Cherry Blossom's Golem stood.

The irony of the situation was their shocked reaction to his golem's appearance. Not the startled reaction they had when Amadeaus scampered in, due more to the fight-or-flight response than anything else, but more an unnerved look, from something that can only be described as inhuman. An alien was expected to be alien, but something like the golem stirred an unrecognizable, primordial fear within them. Though Tau Niem instinctually knew everyone around him shared his fears, the only person's fears that he felt was those of his wife - to use an archaic and not entirely accurate word. Being bonded gave her the unique ability to feel his thoughts and emotions, and likewise, him to feel hers. It is the only way that one born of the Ne Ni Nei can gain the ability of ESP, albeit in a very limited form. Otherwise, even the most perceptive of Danarians with ESP could not read his thoughts and emotions. Though she did not look it, she was terrified... This golem was the very embodiment of everything they feared most, not only was it an AI, but it was a truly 'smart' AI, one that not only rivaled their intelligence, but surpassed it! Oh, its voice, its voice only made things worse...
A thought passed between Karai and Tau, her fear incarnate. A poem of ages past...

Oh Setai-reo, the howling heart
We fear not your rumbling thunder
Never do we quake in your presence
Your voice is our voice.

But at the whispers of rain
We do seek your shelter
The coming storm gives not a warning
beguiled in its charm.

Tau Niem, as always, was the first to recover and press on, despite his fear. His fear inspired him to be brave before his people, for he was, at his core a leader. ...A beacon of hope in a time of despair... It was his dream to become Imperator!

It was his voice that broke the unsettling, albeit brief, silence. Placing first his left hand on the opposite breast and his right hand over that, atop his heart, he bowed his head slightly and to the right, keeping his eyes upon the golem despite the difficulty in doing so, because of his height. A quick check in the Danarian Cultural Archive - a sub-folder within their historical database - by Cherry Blossom, would indicate that this was a most formal greeting, reserved only for Imperators and friends of the Danarii. A gesture used upon first-contact, to set up relations between two new species.

"Your hospitality is a sign of your rightful respect to those who have traveled far from their homes." His tone the most formal, and polite in the Danarian language, even honoring Cherry Blossom with the honorific prefix of friendship - something that went above and beyond what tradition called for. At that he relaxed his arms and lifted his chin proudly, "Gar'eh s'wo Tau Niem A Ne Ni Nei va Kelovo Omi'herous Lang A Danarii." His introduction was slightly different this time, again far more formal than before; Thy name and honor of "The one who Wanders" from the (clan) of the Old Ones, (born) upon Kelovo, Champion of my kin and Voice of all Danarii ~ Now that the formal introduction was over, he returned to using their language, "However, I will accept Tau Niem if that pleases you." He looked briefly to his people in a disarming fashion, "You have displayed a level of technology above those that we've met thus far, in our trip beyond Federation space. No doubt that will be something back on the homeworld..."

Tau Niem sat and ever so slowly, the rest joined him, starting with Karai Negai at his side. Though she was more calm now, she still felt uneasy being so near the golum - not that you could tell outwardly, she had an excellent 'poker-face'. Almost as good as Tau Niem's, he had fooled all of his guards into believing that he was unafraid...

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:22 pm

The golem moved slowly, moving to stand behind it’s own chair, arms resting on it’s back in a decidedly human manor as it’s diamond teeth glinted in the candle light.

“The soul. One of life’s greatest mysteries, perhaps even one of the universes great mysteries. Countless hours spent in search of something that cannot be seen or detected in any way. But it would be nice to think such a thing exists, would it not. Perhaps a soul is born when sentience is achieved? It would be nice to think so, than I would also posses a soul. However, with the power at my command I cannot prove I have one, nor can I prove that Mr Rose has one. Either way, I think it better that if someone dies on this ship, and such things do indeed happen, then they do not die totally. They can be brought back in a Golem chassis like my own, though smaller, and usually manufactured to the physical dimensions of the person former body. I could have greeted you in a Golem body that would have been totally identical to any human when viewed from the naked eye. I though this one much better though. People prefer to know me on sight.”

Once more the mouth split into a reflective smile before the brass head dipped lightly in a sign of greeting and possibly respect , the mind of the AI moving like wild lightening as it absorbed everything it had on the culture at hand.

“You do us a great honour indeed with your greetings. You must forgive me, but we have no such formal greetings. As you can imagine I’m sure, we do not really have a need for them within our society and culture. And we have never come across others who we may greet.”

The pink eyes of Cherry Blossom dimmed a little before returning to there normal brightness, it watches as those began to take seats at the table, then watched as Akito also pulled up a chair while Amadeus pulled several chairs free from the other side of the table, and squatted at head height to the others, the drones head tilting down the table to look back at Cherry Blossom.
The golem then pulled it’s own chair back a little. The chair was identical to all others, just built on a larger scale, and obviously not of wood, as the weight of the golem would instantly crush and splinter it, it must be some form of alloy instead. Cherry Blossom sat, pulling it’s chair forwards and then sweeping a huge brass arm it indicated the drinks on offer.

“Please, feel free to pour yourselves a drink. You say you have travelled far from your homes, and I am curious just how far that is, it must have been a long journey indeed?”

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Karai Negai leaned forward to look at them, before turning the tool on her wrist upon them. Once it had enough information to process, she looked up at the golem. Though it would tell her if it were safe to consume or not, she would like to know what it is she was considering...
"What are they?" She managed to get the courage to ask, or rather she was more curious than she was frightened.

"The DSF Fr'ai'a departed from our original Home-System of Mui nearly two years ago, by our count. Since we've traveled many thousands of light-years from the Gamma-Delta Quadrant border. Not in a straight line mind you..." Tau Niem explained, "However, our crew comes from every corner of the Federation. I hail from Kelovo as I aforementioned, and my wife was born on the nearby colony world of Gur'aria." At that point Tau Niem took the opportunity to ask him a question that he was most curious about, "You say that...your people, fled from their homeworld, a planet on the far side of the Galaxy, called Earth? We know next to nothing about the Alpha and Beta Quadrants... Also, with the amount of time it took you to travel that distance, didn't your people encounter the J'akial?"

Again, the Danarii mentioned the J'akial. This time justified a proper search, which even for Cherry Blossom would require a substantial amount of time and processing power to read through. However, several key files jumped out at him, the first was indeed odd. It was written in a language not Danarian, but clearly Danarian - a quick, secondary search would reveal that is was written in one of their ancient languages, a root of their modern one. It spoke vaguely about the J'akial, a name which now came with a translation - Reviled Ones - it was as much a curse as a description. They instigated the first war written of in the Ancient Period, between all six of the sapient species that the planet supported at that time. Soon thereafter mention of them enters the realm of cautionary tales, told to frighten children into compliant behavior; Behave or the J'akial will get you! seemed to be common.

Then comes 'the file'. One of the largest single files in the whole of the database, the one of the J'akial themselves. Know thy enemy... Parasitic in nature, they are best described as monsters. Their drones burrow themselves into the brain cavity and copy the brain, before consuming it and taking over the host completely. Everything the host knew, all their skills, become the parasite's. A drone is the perfect predator, able to infiltrate without being noticed and attack from within, speeding the spread of their numbers. Intelligent, they easily take and adapt technology from other species and improve upon it. A predominantly space-faring species, their warships are highly resilient to damage and pack a significant amount of fire power proportionally to their mass. They plagued the border systems of the Gamma and Delta Quadrants for the better part of seven million years... Until just five hundred years ago, when the Danarian suddenly and dramatically turned the tide, burning the 'bastards' back to their (New) homeplanet - J'kaia.

A picture also jumped out at him during the search, it appeared to be of an older level of technology, photographed in 2D, rather than the 3D image that Tau Niem had sent to them prior. It was that of a single man, battered, bruised and bloodied, his uniform (different than the ones their guests wore) was torn and scorched, the hilltop around him showed evidence of recent action, or perhaps that of burning debris. His name, was even longer than Tau Niem's! His battle record was a mile long, from the retaking of Danaria, to their final victory over J'kaia. At first glance, there seemed to be no connection, until he saw the clan, Ne Ni Nei. Could there be a relation? Even with a clan so small as his, the chances were incredibly small... But this Admiral Tael Omnis did share a striking resemblance to their diplomat...?

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:11 pm

The Golem turned a little, surveying the bottles before the Diamond smile returned.

“There is a little of everything I believe. No alcohol however, I’m afraid this is a dry ship, and I cannot break that rule for any occasion. There are a great deal of fruit juices however, water as well if that is all you would like. I do believe the Melon Juice actually comes from Amadeus’s own farm, though I’m sure he forgot to mention the fact he is a... Farmer.”

The Spider shifted a little, topaz eyes flickering before it let out a small hiss of irritation, apparently having just lost some credit in some way. He was after all, supposed to be a weapon, not a farmer. Upon hearing of the distance travelled by the ship however, and the time span the Golem became a little more ridged than before, as if slightly shocked by something. Thousands of light years in only two years. Polity FTL technology was no ware near as fast as that, the two systems must operate on totally different levels!

"That is... Most impressive, very impressive. For a Polity ship to travel say, two thousand light years. In fact, if I wanted to travel two thousand light years, it would easily take over five years. Our U-Engines cover an average distance of one light year a day. Our technology must differ in huge ways... But then I suppose both of our technologies are born from vastly different situations... Very interesting."

Akito was also looking rather astonished at this, a bottle poised in one hand as he had stopped before pouring himself an apple juice, simply astounded by the speed of the Danarian drive systems. His own area of expertise was alloys and armour compounds, but many years earlier he had worked on and studied the physics of U-Space. Not an easy task for a human when every person who had ever seen U-space had been driven totally insane by the sight. That was the reason only AI's could operate the U-Engines of star ships, and the only reason they were the only ones capable of operating a Runcible.
Cherry Blossom however had decided this could wait, and had turned its attention to this new question of the exodus from Earth to the new home of the Polity.

"Indeed, it was a long journey, a million years. I am afraid however I do not know if anything was encountered while the three Megaroad ships were under power. They did indeed cover alot of ground for such primitive ships. They were also accompanied and guarded by several fleets of automated guardian ships. Not all of them made it to the Denengrad star, but a good portion of those that did not make it simply broke down over the centuries. I do not have access to files on all aspects of the exodus however. I shall have to look into this."

The Golem then moved a little, apparently thinking for a moment, and possibly sifting though vast amounts of information.

"The J'akial. Very nasty looking things I must say, and very resilient, also adaptive. impressive in their own way. We could acctualy have had some contact with this species. The Trajeen war, as we call it. We came under attack via an unknown enemy on the far side of our space from this location. Despite the conflict lasting for some time indeed, almost ten years. We never saw a member of the enemy combatants. We saw ships, and weapons, but never a member of the species... In the end we beat them back after using an entire moon as a projectile. Since then, almost a hundred years, there has been no sign of them along that side of the border, but Dreadnaughts still patrol the area."

Cherry Blossom instantly set about absorbing every single scrap of information on this so called J'akial, scanning though tactical reports, tactics used against them, anything and everything. All this information was then transmitted to the Denengrad star system via a tight beam U-Com link, directly to the Polity Central, the AI ruler of the Polity. When information indeed to be passed on in the Polity, it never stayed in one place for long. And indeed, there seemed to be a picture that possibly showed a family resemblance of one member currently in the room.

"Would I be correct in assuming that your ancestors fought in these conflicts of your history with the J'akial?"

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:12 pm

"A farmer? Really? I never pegged you as the type..." Tau Niem looked at the giant mechanical-arachnid...he had assumed that Amadeus was in some form designed either for industrial work, or perhaps for war, but he had dismissed the thought of a Synthetic being a farmer as absurd, "I myself grew up in one of the Kelovo-tree orchards..."

While Cherry Blossom and her husband continued their discussion, Karai Negai went about sipping the various juices their hosts had procured. She liked the smoothness of the melon juice, but assumed that Tau Niem would prefer the Apple. After all, the Kelovo fruit that their family grew were amazingly sweet and quite strong, at least to her and most Danarii. The Ne Ni Nei on the other hand, were accustomed to consuming it, from countless generations eating mass amounts of it. After finally deciding on the Apple juice, she poured both herself and her husband a cup. Their always stoic, masked guards, declined.

Tau Niem had listened intently, though it sounded as though Cherry Blossom was a rather specialized Synthetic-Mind and was not programmed with much historical information. Either that, or this civilization had poor record-keeping... He shuddered at the thought, really a few thousand years isn't that long a time, just a few dozen generations! Danarian relations revealed that a civilization's overall stability was directly related to how well they maintained their history, and societies that neglected theirs were generally volatile, and didn't last long. Then again, many referred to the Danarii as Hei'urda, or 'Ancient '. Nonsense, it had only been eleven million years since the founding of the First Federation... The fact that only one in twenty civilizations survived to the space-age, and only one in fifty of those, lasted more than a hundred-thousand years, meant nothing in relation to the age of the Danarii. They were survivors. They endured while others faded to dust...

"My ancestors? Why yes, I did mention that, didn't I...?" He nodded as Karai Negai passed him a glass of Apple juice, "Yes, one of my Great-Grandfathers was a highly decorated Admiral during the last days of The War." He nodded before taking a sip, which seemed to please him, "He was amongst the first to walk on the Homeworld after its retaking. From there, he led his battle-fleet through hell, to their adopted Homeworld. He wanted to glass it, to end the threat forever...The Council of Imperator had other ideas. He retired once the war was finished." He shivered, "He'd roll in his grave if any of those...things, had escaped our wrath. I certainly hope that it wasn't them you faced a hundred years ago..."

"I am curious, about this 'U-Space ' tech that you use and its principles of operation? Is it related to Tachyons? Or do you fold space?" Karai Negai finally spoke up, her curiosity piqued by technical talk - she was a chief-engineer after all, "All modern Danarian ships use Sub-Space Drives. At their simplest, we use micro-singularities to tear into the under-layers of space-time and manipulate reality. It functions much like a wormhole, but its much more stable and requires far less power to maintain..."

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:08 pm

The Spider raised it’s pair of front legs, weaving them for a moment as it’s eyes took in the bottle on the table, yes, it even had the “Produced on Citadel” label stamped on it’s under side.

“Well, I figured farming would make a change for a while, Kelovo Tree‘s? Are those the huge ones, with the big fruits! How much would a batch of seeds cost, I could probably make a killing on those!” “

The eyes gleamed however, as Amadeus then launched into conversation about his former works.

My main function is a War Drone though! I’m one of the first, two thousand years old! Though I have spent almost half of that shutdown, self imposed sleep on the Long March from Earth to here. Us old drones never die, we just get more cunning, and we get better at staying alive! I fought in the Trajeen war as well, never knew what I was shooting at though. Some kind of machines, but they never talked to us. We constantly talked to them… well, gave abuse at any rate.”

The topaz eyes flickered one more as the seemingly smooth shell of the spider split in several locations, then abruptly snapped closed once more. Amadeus had suddenly come to the conclusion that it would probably be deemed impolite to suddenly brandish his arsenal of weaponry and begin to brag about each individual one. He settled down once more, his front legs tapping softly against the carpet.
Cherry Blossom then spoke once more, the huge brass head tilting a little to one side.

“I shall have to send a query to Polity Central for details regarding the Trajeen war and the encounters on the Exodus. My area of expertise is mostly ruins and artefacts left by those who have gone before us. My historical files have a broad range of Polity matters, but in limited amounts, my knowledge on alien technology and ruins however is second to none. What I do know of the War is that it lasted for ten years, and we took one hell of beating. Initially our armour technology was outdated, and our ships were being destroyed faster than the auto-factories could manufacture them. These were AI controlled factories as well, everything was done at an astounding rate, each factory could produce a two mile dreadnought every eight seconds, we had thirteen factories up and running, and we were still losing badly. The enemy armour was incredibly durable, kinetic impacts would be absorbed though the whole hull, energy weapons would also be absorbed via a super conducting grid laced into the armour. On average it would take four of our ships to defeat one of their’s. It was the war Runcible that turned the tide in our favour. As well as bigger and more heavily armed ships, Alpha Dreadnoughts, similar dimensions to my own, but with truly massive amounts of firepower.”

The great AI then paused for a moment as it though of the best way to explain under space. It had viewed it thousands of times of course on it’s many missions, but it was still something of mystery. A convoluted mass of interlocking and twisting dimensions that had to be navigated, a ship didn’t just enter and cruise along. IT also had tides, ships would sometimes wait around for days before dropping into U-Space when a good tide was in motion, as the ship would cover a greater distance. Much like a sailing ship with a good wind behind it. And like an ocean, it also had it’s storms.

“U-Space is a very strange place. Every human who as ever seen it has instantly gone insane, very insane at that. It is ten dimensional space, layers below our Real Space, if you will. It has tides as well as storms, we also know how to create storms there, and a ship caught in one will be thrown back into real space, usually with heavy damage. We access U-Space via a hole that we punch though real space, it is not space folding… The best description would be rather than fold space, we rip it open, but the tare cannot be seen, a ship simply vanishes. To be totally honest with you though, the only AI that knows the truth of U-Space is the Creystien Computer under Ueda City. Getting information from that machine is like trying to get blood from a stone with your bare hands.”

Danarian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Danarian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:22 pm

At the mention of Kelovo trees, Tau Niem lit up. However, despite his best attempts, he couldn't help but chuckle.
"Kelovo fruit is actually seedless." He grinned, "They reproduce by making...Srits." His UT then informed him that their language had no translation for the word, "Uh, their sproutlings move. Walk if you will..."

Their look of disbelief was understandable, in fact it was expected. However, Karai Negai nodded in reassurance. "I didn't believe it until I saw it myself..." She said between sips.

"As for price, I can't speak on that. There's a lot of factors involved...what the monetary conversion would be, what price the orchard would place on their trees, they don't do well on other planets, so we've found... The biggest part of the price would be procuring transport. Which would be lowered dramatically if the merchants knew that there was product awaiting them on this end..." At that he chuckled again, merchants, "If your peoples are willing and open to trade, I am authorized to set up trade agreements and open borders for trade, though I may not establish specific trades, per se... There is the chance that we might be willing to trade technology as well, however that would have to be finalized by the Imperators. Is trade something you'd be interested in?"

Denengrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Denengrad » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:59 pm

The Spider was almost dancing on all eight legs as it listened to the information about these strange trees. It was only the steady pink gaze of Cherry Blossom’s Golem that caused him to stop and settle down a little. His front pair of legs however continued to tap away at the carpet as he mind raced. He had quick a stockpile of money from all he had done over the pact centuries. If needs be he would import hundreds of thousands of tons of native soil, build huge domes and simulate the climate exactly of the three’s home world!

“They sound amazing. I’m sure I’ll be bale to pull something off to get my myself some of those… Sproutlings. Just seeing a walking tree would be worth the price! And at some point I simply must see your own farms, from the images they look overly impressive. Put’s my melon farm to shame, I can tell you.”

He was then silenced by the raised had of Cherry Blossom, it’s eyes now a very dull shade of pink, it was purely cosmetic and designed to show to other members of the crew that the AI was currently in communication with Polity Central. The great AI that ruled over the whole polity.
It had been in communication since the mention of trade had arisen, and a conversation that would have lasted hours between organic beings had taken only several seconds between the two immense AI’s

“Polity Central informs me that trade would indeed be an option. Likewise, there are some things the Polity is not willing to trade, though these are mostly items of a military nature, such as our countermeasure technology and so forth. Each world in the Polity has it’s own unique items to trade though, so I am sure that your merchants would have plenty of custom once they had unloaded their own products. The distance between our borders does indeed seem great, our haulers would take years to reach your space. So, Polity Central has given the go ahead to re-commission a War Runcible for the purpose of transporting cargo ships. I have been given the green light for trade so I expect within a matter of hours merchants from across the Polity will be sending fleets of ships to the designated War Runcible… It needs a new name, something less ominous. I am sure they will all eagerly be awaiting the green light from your Imperators to establish trade. As I’m sure you have guessed, things happen at great speed within the Polity.”

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents