NATION

PASSWORD

The Colonial Crisis (OOC MT Open)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yanitza
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 18, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Maybe you should use PAMT

Livensola
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 13, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Livensola » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:20 pm

I'd like to try for #10.

Nation Name: Free & United Peoples of Usaya

Government Style: Tribal Confederation of some 23 Indigenous tribes and four Coscadic tribes. Each tribe is completely autonomous in its internal affairs (The economy operates on a local level, and infrastructure is nigh nonexistant, so this is the only possible arrangement). Foreign affairs and defence are handles by a Grand Council composed of the leaders of each tribe.

Colonial Master: Confederal Maritime Kingdom of Livensola

RP Example: I'm a puppet of this fellow, whose RP style is exemplified here and here. I've been on NS since 2006, and most of my threads were lost during the switch from Jolt.

Population: 12,386,000, including some 420,000 Livensólans and 1,006,000 Khadari

Military Size: Going by the 2% Rule, 247 720 troops can be mobilised in the case of war. The Usayan military is not a professional force, but rather a coälition of tribal armies consisting of semi-professional and nonprofessional troops. The Madoka tribe owns a dozen tanks left over from the colonial period, and the Libanda posess some field artillery. Both the tanks and artillery are 1950s-equivalent. Personal armaments are mostly 50s stuff (or older, for civilians and irregulars), but are being replaced by AK-47s in the larger tribes.

Brief History of your Colony:

Landlocked in the heart of the continent, Usaya was settled in Mesolithic times by the same indigenous peoples found in the other colonies. During the era of colonisation, its remoteness, large size, and seeming lack of resources ensured that it was mostly left to its own devices by the main colonial powers.

So it remained until Læstor S.V.T Kastrian, a Livensólan linguist who had ventured into the area to document the local languages, discovered that the language of the Khadari tribe was unrelated to its neighbours, and was in fact a distant relative of the Coscivian languages. The Livensólan government backed further studies, and declared the Khadari territories an amical protectorate. Missionaries belonging to various Christian and Coscivian Monotheïst denominations entered the region, converting not only the Khadari, but also many of the adjacent tribes. With the missionary efforts came the Coscivian orthography, educational system, building style (in the larger settlements), calendar, and other cultural elements. While indegnous society retained its traditional ways for the most part, it absorbed Coscivian influence to varying degrees.

As a maritime state, Livensóla was reluctant to formally claim a landlocked country, especially one with a climate unsuitable for Coscivian agriculture and large-scale settlement and, it would seem, few resources other than a large navigable river. But after a tribal clash claimed the lives of eighty Livensólans, the Cambrium (legislature) was forced to take action. At the Lintæren Conference, held in a Coscivian settlement in Usaya, twenty-three native tribes, the three Khadari tribes, and an association of Coscivian settlers and missionaries agreed to become protectorates of the Livensólan Crown in exchange for defence, commerce, and investment. Two years later, the individual protectorates were subsumed into a federal state under Livensólan protection.

The Protectorate period saw slightly increased Coscivian immigration, and significant improvements in infrastructure, but Usaya was never an important item on the Livensólan agenda, and most development efforts were the work of religious organisations. Usaya played little rôle in the War, save for the mercenaries sold to the highest bidder by tribal leaders. However, the disruption of communication and commerce caused by the war, and the general move towards decolonisation afterward led Livensólan politicians to see the country as a cash drain. Usaya was granted full independence, and a period of neglect and deterioration began. Infrastructure went untended, trade ground to a halt, and politics became consumed by tribal rivalries.

Aþanasius F.D.M. Alvarín, a Catholic priest, organised other religious leaders, both Coscivian and native, to lead a reform movement that stabilised the country and averted a major tribal war, but the struggle for tribal dominance has not fully abated. The mainstay of the economy remains subsistence agriculture, and the infrastructure built during the Protectorate has become unusable. The Disaya River is the only major conduït of trade, bringing manufactured goods from abroad. Suprisingly for such an undeveloped nation, the literacy rate is 76%, but medical personnel, facilities, and equipment are spread thin, belonging mostly to missions.

The racial situation in Usaya is thus: The 23 Black* tribes have no sense of 'racial' consciousness. They do not see the Coscivians or Khadari as any more foreign than other Black tribes. While relations between tribes can range from staunch alliance to open hostility, nearly all of the tribes (the Mabani and Moganda being the exceptions) have decent (though sometimes slightly distrustful) relations with the Coscivians. About 40% of the Coscivian population lives in the trading towns along the river. The rest live in missions in the hinterland, or are fully integrated into native communities as guests (this is often the case with clergy and doctors). The Khadari, who speak a Cosco-Adratic language related to the Coscivian languages, enjoy very good relations with the settlers. Some have argued that, because of their neutrality in tribal conflicts and their close presence in tribal life throughout the country, the Coscivian population is what keeps Usaya from falling apart completely.

*I use 'Black' simply because we haven't named the indigenous race yet.
Last edited by Livensola on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalumba
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Livensola- Accepted, looks like a very interesting nation and i look forward to seeing it develop. Welcme aboard.

And then there were four places up for grabs.
Unilateral Declaration of Indifference viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111178 - Honestly Kalumba has no interest in you or your problems.
Looking for a PMT RP, no godmoding, etc. Come and help Zimbabwe-Rhodesia defeat the Soviets in Africa viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116682
The Colonial Crisis viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138755
-St George wrote:Pedantry, thy name is Kalumba.
San-Silvacian wrote:
Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.

Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.

Baptism of Fire 43 Champions
A Luta Continua

Livensola
Bureaucrat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Livensola » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Thank you very much! I look forward to this RP.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Tag
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:18 pm

I am thinking when we have a nation 5 we can start the RP. Anyone got any objections?
Unilateral Declaration of Indifference viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111178 - Honestly Kalumba has no interest in you or your problems.
Looking for a PMT RP, no godmoding, etc. Come and help Zimbabwe-Rhodesia defeat the Soviets in Africa viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116682
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Norvenia
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Kalumba wrote:I am thinking when we have a nation 5 we can start the RP. Anyone got any objections?

Sounds great.

Livensola
Bureaucrat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Livensola » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Norvenia wrote:
Kalumba wrote:I am thinking when we have a nation 5 we can start the RP. Anyone got any objections?

Sounds great.

I second.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:41 pm

None.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Southern Cynocephali
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Cynocephali » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm ready to go whenever.
Demonyms: Cynoceph (pref.), Cynocephalian, Cyno

Nation on NSWiki
SC Sportswire
APEX Tyres

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:17 am

Well we just need someone to sign up as nation five. They are one of the main regional players and to start without them would be a little silly i believe.

So someone sign up and be the bad guy please.
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Nation Name: Vatan (Nation 5)
Government Style: Rule by tribal warlords, unified by dislike of outsiders and blood ties between warlords. Not democratic, but usually benevolent.
Colonial Master: former holdings of Nalaya, subjugated by others
RP Example: You know me, right?
Population: 10 million people; 500,000 colonists (5%) Ethnic groups resemble Berbers or North Africans, in tribal structure akin to Afghanistan. Predominately Muslim and Nakhamayr. Few cities, with 75%-80% of the population being nomadic.
Military Size: 450,000 trained soldiers, but most tribals can hold their own.
Climate and Geography: Arid mountains and highlands with extreme weather variation, sand desert. Very little arable land and short growing seasons broken up by unpredictable frost.

Brief History of your Colony: Granted initial independence from Nalaya in 1510 after the end of the rebellion against Azyran, Vatan has been invaded, subjugated, and claimed many, many times. However, it's extreme and arid climate, along with harsh terrain, have made it about as easy to hold as Afghanistan. They maintain fond and close ties to their mother nation Nalaya, who share ethnic and cultural origins, and universally dislike any other foreign power. The Vatani, after many uprisings answered by bloody massacres, are stunningly unified. They are often characterized as being hostile, clannish, warlike, and sometimes even xenophobic. Within their own borders, foreigners still hold most of the wealth and stay in the colonial capital of Kingstown. The Vatani leave them alone, but relations are uneasy and fraught with tension.
Last edited by Nalaya on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Going to sound rude, but can remind me from where i know you? I recognise you just can't place you.
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:25 pm

But provisionally accepted as nation 5, so once we have an RP example we can get this thing going.
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Nalaya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138661

Also, Norvenia suggested I apply
- Pope Julius III

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Accepted, i remember reading through some of this. It's very good.

And with that we shall begin, and wait for the other three nations to join in. Expect the IC thread in about an hour after my dinner :)
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:23 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:14 pm

My second attempt at your flag, Kalumba. I think it works a little better as a unified flag rather than a mish-mash of our two flags:

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:43 am

My PC won't let me see it :(
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:19 pm

I am about to introduce twenty characters. The post is getting pretty deuced long as a result, so brace yourselves.

Nalaya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Norvenia wrote:I am about to introduce twenty characters. The post is getting pretty deuced long as a result, so brace yourselves.

Cool!
- Pope Julius III

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Nalaya wrote:
Norvenia wrote:I am about to introduce twenty characters. The post is getting pretty deuced long as a result, so brace yourselves.

Cool!

Probably won't be out until tomorrow afternoon. My mind is dying after thinking up so many different names and life stories.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 pm

There we go: twenty characters. It's possible that I should post an OOC dramatis personae.

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Sorry for not posting today, but i am feeling really ill. Hopefully i will be better tomorow.
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Kalumba wrote:Sorry for not posting today, but i am feeling really ill. Hopefully i will be better tomorow.

I'm sorry to hear that! Get better soon. Eat lots of chicken soup; it's always worked for me.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents