NATION

PASSWORD

The Mentors and Trainers Hub

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:41 am

Yohannes wrote:
Steel Butterfly wrote:I would be more than willing to be a mentor and/or a trainer for the NationStates forum for character-driven and plot-driven RP's of any sort.

You will then need to read the OP and submit your application to become a trainer.

Not to be a dick, but I think my expansive history here has made me more than qualified. I'm interested in helping people, not doing homework by submitting a "a Single-spaced post detailing a scenario no longer than 1 page, 12 pt Times New Roman font to this thread." If someone reads my stuff and seriously doesn't think I am capable then so be it. It won't bother me if I get denied to be a volunteer.

In the meantime, anyone involved in the decision making process can read here:

Messiah
Changing of the Guard
Resonance
Last edited by Steel Butterfly on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founded: March 12th, 2003

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:43 am

Steel Butterfly wrote:
Yohannes wrote:
You will then need to read the OP and submit your application to become a trainer.

Not to be a dick, but I think my history here has made me more than qualified. I'm interested in helping people, not doing homework by submitting a "a Single-spaced post detailing a scenario no longer than 1 page, 12 pt Times New Roman font to this thread." If someone reads my stuff and seriously doesn't think I am capable then so be it. It won't bother me if I get denied to be a volunteer.

Messiah
Changing of the Guard
Resonance

Just because you have a "history" does not mean that you are superior than the rest of us.

Do what the OP tell you to do. I used to be a trainer as well, and I (as well as the mentors and trainers here) was not chosen because we're "superior".
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:46 am

Yohannes wrote:Just because you have a "history" does not mean that you are superior than the rest of us.

Do what the OP tell you to do. I used to be a trainer as well, and I (as well as the mentors and trainers here) was not chosen because we're "superior".

I didn't say I was superior. I said I'm "more than qualified" and don't want to do homework. Honestly I'm not here to get my rocks off with a bolded name, I just want to help people out. If I'm told "no you can't help people out" then so be it...I'll do it on my own time? Seems rather silly to me. You guys want a writing sample and an example of coming up with a theme? I just provided three writing samples, two of which are my creations. Far more insight there than a single page and a "test."
Last edited by Steel Butterfly on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:53 am

I'm not really sure if it's possible, but nonetheless I'd like to vouch for SB here. It'd be nice to have someone with his experience on board around here, and after having read some of his stuff I can say that it really is rather good. <_<

Just my two cents.
Retired

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:00 am

Milograd wrote:I'm not really sure if it's possible, but nonetheless I'd like to vouch for SB here. It'd be nice to have someone with his experience on board around here, and after having read some of his stuff I can say that it really is rather good. <_<

Just my two cents.

I'm really not looking to be some "special snowflake" here, I just really think that not only would it save time and energy that would be better used for helping people, you all can get a better idea of my strengths and weaknesses in writing and scenario crafting from stuff I've actually done...as opposed to putting hours and hours into a "test" scenario, character creation, plot creation, and RP just to be allowed to help others.

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:00 am

Anyhow, let me know guys :)

Milograd
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:05 am

Steel Butterfly wrote:I'm really not looking to be some "special snowflake" here, I just really think that not only would it save time and energy that would be better used for helping people, you all can get a better idea of my strengths and weaknesses in writing and scenario crafting from stuff I've actually done...as opposed to putting hours and hours into a "test" scenario, character creation, plot creation, and RP just to be allowed to help others.

I've personally always been against the whole application process that we have for this, particularly because it's far too time consuming; after all, this is a volunteer program. You raised it as an issue, thus my comment. It'd be preferable if we had as many people volunteering as possible, and I dislike seeing skilled volunteers being turned away by a needlessly troublesome trainer-application process. That's all there is to it really, lol.
Retired

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:20 am

Milograd wrote:
Steel Butterfly wrote:I'm really not looking to be some "special snowflake" here, I just really think that not only would it save time and energy that would be better used for helping people, you all can get a better idea of my strengths and weaknesses in writing and scenario crafting from stuff I've actually done...as opposed to putting hours and hours into a "test" scenario, character creation, plot creation, and RP just to be allowed to help others.

I've personally always been against the whole application process that we have for this, particularly because it's far too time consuming; after all, this is a volunteer program. You raised it as an issue, thus my comment. It'd be preferable if we had as many people volunteering as possible, and I dislike seeing skilled volunteers being turned away by a needlessly troublesome trainer-application process. That's all there is to it really, lol.

With all due respect to Steel Butterfly, I see no reason why he/she/it shouldn't go through the process. Every other trainer had to go through it, as far as I'm aware, even ones who are just as skilled in the art of writing and RPing. Now, if there's an example of someone who was just admitted straightaway then there would be precedence for it, but since there doesn't appear to be then I see no reason to start now. You can help people and go through the application process at the same time.

Whether or not the trainer-application process needs to be altered, streamlined or done away with is another discussion altogether.
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Milograd
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:22 am

Xiscapia wrote:Whether or not the trainer-application process needs to be altered, streamlined or done away with is another discussion altogether.

I was hoping to spark "that other discussion" to be honest.
Retired

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:41 am

Xiscapia wrote:You can help people and go through the application process at the same time.

Part of my point, isn't it? If I can help mentor and or train people while I'm going through the application process (or just on my own without it) what exactly is the purpose of the application process? To show that I can write or RP in a NationStates format? I just provided that evidence.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:48 am

Milograd wrote:
Xiscapia wrote:Whether or not the trainer-application process needs to be altered, streamlined or done away with is another discussion altogether.

I was hoping to spark "that other discussion" to be honest.

Well, you've got my attention. The way I understand it, though, is that if we make it so that anyone can become a Trainer just by asking, we get a ton of people calling themselves Trainers who don't do much of anything. The application process is supposed to be a way to make sure that the Trainers are both competent and serious about what they're doing, and not just in for it for the title.

Steel Butterfly wrote:
Xiscapia wrote:You can help people and go through the application process at the same time.

Part of my point, isn't it? If I can help mentor and or train people while I'm going through the application process (or just on my own without it) what exactly is the purpose of the application process? To show that I can write or RP in a NationStates format? I just provided that evidence.

You do have a point. But if you take it like that, what's the point of becoming a Trainer? You can help people without being called a Trainer, ja?

Understand that I'm not against you becoming a Trainer. You clearly have skill and I personally think you could be an asset. But there is a process and as long as the process is in effect we're supposed to uphold it. Call me a bureaucrat. :p

When Jenrak gets here he should be able to shed some light on the subject.
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Milograd
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 am

Xiscapia wrote:
Milograd wrote:I was hoping to spark "that other discussion" to be honest.

Well, you've got my attention. The way I understand it, though, is that if we make it so that anyone can become a Trainer just by asking, we get a ton of people calling themselves Trainers who don't do much of anything. The application process is supposed to be a way to make sure that the Trainers are both competent and serious about what they're doing, and not just in for it for the title.

See this.
Retired

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:03 am

I think let us just assume the fact that if you want to help people, then help people whilst enjoy what you're doing in NS at the same time.

No matter who you are, whether a mentor, trainer or not, as long as you have what it takes and knows the subject, then you can certainly contribute to the community.

@Steel Butterfly: Pardon me if I sound rude previously, it was not meant to be a rude remark or anything.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 am

Yohannes wrote:@Steel Butterfly: Pardon me if I sound rude previously, it was not meant to be a rude remark or anything.

No worries. I'm sure I'm coming off as a dick kinda too :blink:

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Steel Butterfly wrote:
Yohannes wrote:

Not to be a dick, but I think my expansive history here has made me more than qualified. I'm interested in helping people, not doing homework by submitting a "a Single-spaced post detailing a scenario no longer than 1 page, 12 pt Times New Roman font to this thread." If someone reads my stuff and seriously doesn't think I am capable then so be it. It won't bother me if I get denied to be a volunteer.

Messiah
Changing of the Guard
Resonance

There are a few major reasons why we have still qualified RPers go through the application process:

• Fairness: If you have a good history of writing, that's good, and that'll help, but only in swaying the opinion of those looking at your excerpts. Part of the reason why experienced players still need to apply through the same method as everyone else is because, well, it's fair. If there was a very good RPer who never posted in Nationstates all of a sudden applied, we'd make him apply as well. The same for RPers who aren't as good, or perhaps even terrible. This is done in fairness because we can't aggregate any sort of 'quality' for 'non-quality'.
  • Work: Volunteering, at the end of the day, is working. You're free to hang around in the hub and provide advice - that's fine with us. But the reason why we have everyone applying do this is also because it shows us that you're more likely to actually do the job. The older Nationstates Trainer incarnations had issues in that people signed up because they either enjoyed being considered a Trainer, or that they were available for a little while and then faded into complete inactivity. By committing and actually doing the scenario given to you, the act shows us that you're at least willing to take some time and effort into getting involved.
  • Flexibility: We want to ensure that you're at least flexible in terms of your writing. This is because there is the very possible chance that Trainers (and Mentors) can give very different opinions on certain things. How an application helps in terms of flexibility is that it shows that you're able to adapt your RPing to different scenarios, and not just be in a position where you're good in one specific thing but not good in another. Covering a wide range of possible scenarios is good, especially when giving information to newer players.
  • Reacting Appropriately: This is more innocuous than it sounds. When I say 'reacting appropriately', I mean 'reacting appropriately to the posts in the fashion you need to'. RPing is about writing with people, and in this scenario, the important thing for newer players is to learn how to effectively work in the situations given to them. Not every player will have the utmost leeway in what they want, so there are going to be instances where they need to learn how to write within the confines of the scenario. Linking your own work is good, but unless we look through the OOC threads and read them all (which can be time consuming considering all applicants), we're very limited in knowing how much is you in control and how much is you adapting to situations (which is what's important).

Of course, if you want to help out the community, you're certainly free to hang around in the thread - there's really no major difference between a Trainer and someone giving advice to newer players other than being listed in here (to my knowledge). But, for the reasons stated, I would really appreciate that you follow the same process as everyone else.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Jenrak wrote:there's really no major difference between a Trainer and someone giving advice to newer players other than being listed in here (to my knowledge).

Unless you *really* want the fancy title that goes with it, no big difference at all.

Lemonius
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonius » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:07 am

Scenario Provided By: Rethan

Scenario:
"Your nation has recently colonised a system which contains a world that scans have indicated harbours immense resources beneath its ice surface. Unfortunately, when you get closer you discover lifeforms in the ocean beneath the ice and they are very fragile. Attempting to mine the resources will destroy the ecosystem, exterminating the fledgling lifeforms therein. You've already auctioned off the planet to several explorers looking to make their riches with the resources. Roleplay a meeting with the new owners informing them of the new information, and whether or not you want them to continue developing the world

Tech: FT

Notes:
I'm not entirely certain if this is one page of Times New Roman 12, as my computer has decided to die and erase Microsoft Office... And I can't get a new edition for at least two weeks..

RP Post:

Day 363, Lemonian Calendar
Lemonian Economics Agency
Cexial, Lemonius

The room was dark, little more than an annex of the massive government complex. There was a small film of dust covering the table, and the chairs, practically everything - clearly showing the room had not been used for sometime. Lemonius was open to diplomacy, but often did not deal with corporations and business and the like; their communistic ways kept them to themselves; and warmongering tendencies scared off many investors.
But recently, while colonising an as of yet unnamed system, they had discovered natural reserves on an ice moon; unfortunately, they later discovered said moon was home of a delicate alien ecosystem - the economics agency held a subsequent summit, although some galactic corporations had wormed their way in. Not necessarily in debt, but no doubt in need of a small injection into the economy, the leaders of the nation had already auctioned off areas of the celestrial body - but still firmly a Lemonian colony.

"I'm not sure you're entirely up to date..." Said L2499, she was exasperated by this point, and furiously scratched the back of her neck.
She was a small Lemonian, shorter than most females, and was a representative sent by the Foreign affairs agency.

"So, fill me in?" Came a voice from the other side of the table, it was a human: Drake Anderson. Dark hair and fair skinned, and evidently out of his comfort zone in this alien dominated place.
"Anders Corporation would be happy to compensate the Lemonian government, for whatever fee both parties see fit"

"While I appreciate your offer, Drake-" L2499 hissed "-We simply cannot proceed until we've heard alternate proposals?"

"I suppose that's my cue?" Said Le'Txi, twirling a small cigarette between his fingers.
"I suggest you evacuate these creatures, and we can provide a simulae ecosystem"

"You can suggest all you like!" Said Drake "But we all know money talks"

"Sit down human." Came a final, deep monotone.
A large unusual, lizard-esque alien sat rigid at the last side of the table.
"We'll establish a scientific research facility on the colony, naturally, it would be best to keep these creatures in their natural habitat?

"And what of the resources?" Piped Drake once again...

"I was going to say that myself, Anderson..." Mumbled Le'Txi

"Lemonius' interests are paramount, and we will decide upon the best course of action for Lemonius and this ecosystem"

L2499's statement brought a hush over the rest of the boardroom...

"Fine." Came the lizard "While the research facility would no doubt propel Lemonius further in it's scientific expansion, I can't help but feel that-"

"Shut up you sick crocodile. Money talks, and Anders Corporation is willing to pay whatever it takes"

"You're becoming aggresive Anderson, you may want to calm down..." Le'Txi nervously eyed the lizard creature, whom could only now be identified by his nameplate on the desk - Jeese... An unusual name for an equally unusual creature...

"Crocodile?! I've heard of those creatures you hunted to nigh on extinction! Look at your world, ruined and dead. I refuse to let you and 'MurderCorp' drive yet another system to annihilation!"

"F*** you, you son of a bitch!" Drake had risen to his feet, and his knuckles white from the pressure on the table.

"ENOUGH!" Shouted the Lemonian. While negotiations had now been derailed, she hoped they could be put back on track.
"I'd like to ask Mr Anderson to leave, else he will be escorted. Lemonius has no interest with Anders Corporation, nor with private business looking for monetary gain. The area belonging to Anders Corporation will be returned immediately to Lemonian control."
A Lemonian Marine had appeared behind her, motioning for Anderson to leave.. He did so, sighing as he went...

"Could it be possible that some areas of the moon are harvested, while others remain a santuary?"

Jeese said nothing, merely nodded.

"You do understand however, that this would damage the ecosystem? And if I am correct, Jeese, I believe you had outlined colonising the moon yourself in your report?" Said Le'Txi, still twirling the cigarette.

An awkward silence came over the room...

"I believe that this colony would benefit from Lemonian mining efforts, as opposed to foreign intervention..." Said L2499, a slight quiver of shock in her voice.
"We will export these creatures as required"

The lizard said nothing, merely taking a compiled report and leaving the room, another marine following him...

"I believe we have reached an agreement?" Quizzed the Lemonian, her composure quickly regained.

"Yes... I believe so. We will be happy to protect what we can, although we cannot replicate the environment exactly, we will do our best."

"That is all we ask..."
My factbook has been in disarray since Imageshack was subject to new management
Formerly Venezue, founded in June '09 now Lemonius, regularly 'inactive' since 2014
Many thanks to many friends who made this my home for a time

Raven
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Raven » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:18 am

Hm... Creating artificial wormholes and stabilizing them in order to make intergalactic travel possible is godmodding?
The Ravenian Imperial Commonwealth (SWtech)
Factbook | NSWiki | Map | Other things

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 am

Raven wrote:Hm... Creating artificial wormholes and stabilizing them in order to make intergalactic travel possible is godmodding?

Not at all. Difficult as heck (intergalactic distances are stupid huge) unless you mean travel within a galaxy, in which case it's an almost mandatory requirement for FT roleplay. Difficult to roleplay with the galaxy at large without faster than light travel, though not impossible.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Raven
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Raven » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 am

Rethan wrote:
Raven wrote:Hm... Creating artificial wormholes and stabilizing them in order to make intergalactic travel possible is godmodding?

Not at all. Difficult as heck (intergalactic distances are stupid huge) unless you mean travel within a galaxy, in which case it's an almost mandatory requirement for FT roleplay. Difficult to roleplay with the galaxy at large without faster than light travel, though not impossible.

Nope. I mean travel between galaxies. I would like to RP this nation as a galactic federation.
The Ravenian Imperial Commonwealth (SWtech)
Factbook | NSWiki | Map | Other things

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 am

Raven wrote:
Rethan wrote:Not at all. Difficult as heck (intergalactic distances are stupid huge) unless you mean travel within a galaxy, in which case it's an almost mandatory requirement for FT roleplay. Difficult to roleplay with the galaxy at large without faster than light travel, though not impossible.

Nope. I mean travel between galaxies. I would like to RP this nation as a galactic federation.

Then, also, no. No technology is inherently godmode, though I see this mistake being commonly made. "YOUR ARMOUR IS WHAT? lol godmod wtfkthxbai". A godmode is taking control of someone elses stuff, claiming your defences/weaponry is infallible or otherwise activating godmode in your roleplays. Since your wormhole thing is just a method of travel, it's not a godmode crime.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:55 am

Rethan wrote:
Raven wrote:

Then, also, no. No technology is inherently godmode, though I see this mistake being commonly made. "YOUR ARMOUR IS WHAT? lol godmod wtfkthxbai". A godmode is taking control of someone elses stuff, claiming your defences/weaponry is infallible or otherwise activating godmode in your roleplays. Since your wormhole thing is just a method of travel, it's not a godmode crime.

Many nations use Wormholes as their form of FTLtravel.
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:36 pm

For a minute there I thought I'd stumbled into the FT Argument thread. :blink:
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Xiscapia wrote:For a minute there I thought I'd stumbled into the FT Argument thread. :blink:

you always think you've stumbled into somewhere :P
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

Shanix
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shanix » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Rethan wrote:
Raven wrote:

Unless it's instant apparition of your forces. There is some time to travel in Wormholes.
Just know when it's real and when it isn't.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents