NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 05, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Abserdia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Islas del Sol wrote:After reading several threads, the idea of increasing the realism within this forum/sub-forum came to my mind immediately. I don't know how things tend to work here, but is there a way to know which is the strongest nation in a conflict? Sorry for my ignorance... I am new to NationStates.

In an RP the strongest nation is determined by a few factors.
1: Size and population. If a nation is the size of the US and has the most troops, it will be more successful in battles.
2: Science. If a nation has developed nuclear bombs (for example) while other nations are still trying to figure out missiles, it is better in tactics.
and 3: Treaties. If a nation is allied with 3 other nations it will have much more help than a nation that is a lone wolf but equal power.
I'll let RP mentors tell you the rest if there is.
Black lives matter

Recommend me shoegaze and ambient music.

So long, Frank Lloyd Wright
I can't believe your song is gone so soon...
I barely learned the tune
So soon, so soon

Islas del Sol
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Islas del Sol » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Abserdia wrote:
Islas del Sol wrote:After reading several threads, the idea of increasing the realism within this forum/sub-forum came to my mind immediately. I don't know how things tend to work here, but is there a way to know which is the strongest nation in a conflict? Sorry for my ignorance... I am new to NationStates.

1: Size and population. If a nation is the size of the US and has the most troops, it will be more successful in battles.
2: Science. If a nation has developed nuclear bombs (for example) while other nations are still trying to figure out missiles, it is better in tactics.
and 3: Treaties. If a nation is allied with 3 other nations it will have much more help than a nation that is a lone wolf but equal power.

Oh, useful. Thank you.
Proud Founder of Terra Aurea!
"Water is the most powerful element in the world compared to the others.
It may look extremely soft and weak, but it can destroy the hardest of the rocks.
It may look extremely inconsistent, but it can survive the odds of the containers.
It may look extremely lifeless, but it can create, preserve, or finish lives."

Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Abserdia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Islas del Sol wrote:
Abserdia wrote:In an RP the strongest nation is determined by a few factors.

Oh, useful. Thank you.

Science might be the most important though, as a nation that has an arsenal of nuclear bombs with no allies can still take out a few nations.
Treaties probably the least useful, and size and population is a footnote.
Black lives matter

So soon, so soon

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Who wins and who loses? It's a pretty complex topic, at least in confrontational role-play, but I'm going to come at it from a different direction...

1: Communications.

This, this, this. Talk to your opponent. Find out, out of character, why they want to fight and why they want to fight you specifically. Explain the same to them. If there is a valid, in-character reason, for the conflict then I would discuss where you both want things to end up. Approximately. No one wants to know exactly how the movie goes, but everyone knows that one side will triumph in the end. Will it be a skirmish with both sides withdrawing after a couple victories on both sides so they can tell their people 'We won!' or will it be an absolute war of conquest? Work together to make it the best story you can.

Past that?

2: It's a Spider Web.

Ten million dirt farmers won't beat a million man modern army in a straight-up fight. An imploded economy is going to be overrun by a someone of equal size with frightening. Sure; 25b compared to 1b is going to be a little... Massacre-y. But can the 1b put up a good fight? Possibly.

How prepared is one side compared to the other? And I'm not talking about head-canon (What you imagine your nation to be like in your head) I'm talking about work you've actually done, in-character, to prepare for a conflict. Written up a stellar factbook? Portrayed your military in your previous posts as being nearly-omnipresent (Marine gunships crossing the city skyline, harbors full of battleships, and similar descriptive pieces. Or are you just making it all up as you go?

If you are making it all up as you go, then I would refer you back to 1. and then say 'Why are you doing this if you have no reason for doing it?' We care about a conflict because of the history behind it, the stories of those involved, the future events it portends. I would very seriously question my participation in a thread where the only point is to fight especially if that is the only thing that the nation ever does.

So, Spider Web. There are literally dozens of different potential threads that could determine which side wins. The best thing to do is start with #1.
Last edited by Sunset on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Islas del Sol
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Islas del Sol » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Abserdia wrote:
Islas del Sol wrote:Oh, useful. Thank you.

Science might be the most important though, as a nation that has an arsenal of nuclear bombs with no allies can still take out a few nations.

And what about if a nation refuses to admit the "death" of his military? What would be the next step, then?
Last edited by Islas del Sol on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may look extremely soft and weak, but it can destroy the hardest of the rocks.
It may look extremely inconsistent, but it can survive the odds of the containers.

Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Abserdia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Islas del Sol wrote:
Abserdia wrote:Science might be the most important though, as a nation that has an arsenal of nuclear bombs with no allies can still take out a few nations.

And what about if a nation refuses to admit the death of his military? What would be the next step, then?

That would be called godmodding, if you assassinate his general with a knife through the heart and he refuses to die, talk with the creator or a mentor like Sunset above you.
Black lives matter

So soon, so soon

Islas del Sol
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Islas del Sol » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Abserdia wrote:
Islas del Sol wrote:And what about if a nation refuses to admit the death of his military? What would be the next step, then?

That would be called godmodding, if you assassinate his general with a knife through the heart and he refuses to die, talk with the creator or a mentor like Sunset above you.

Alright. Thanks Abserdia and Sunset. My doubts have been solved.

The United Dominion
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Dominion » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Abserdia wrote:
Islas del Sol wrote:And what about if a nation refuses to admit the death of his military? What would be the next step, then?

If trying to assassinate another player's character, you should have talked to them about it and gotten permission first. If I don't want my character to die at this moment, you "stabbing my general with a knife through the heart" becomes you "making an attempt at stabbing my general with a knife through the heart, only to be quickly put down by security forces in the area."

You would be the one in the wrong here, not the other player.
:: The Local Cluster :: Join Today! ::
:: "The Best Region for NSFT"™ ::
:: NSFT Community Discord Server ::

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:23 pm

How are chemical weapons used in MT RP?
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Draica wrote:How are chemical weapons used in MT RP?

Nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons should only be used with the consent of those you're roleplaying with. Discuss it with them, and if they're okay with it, then feel free. If you mean dispersal systems, I believe that missiles and dropping from the air are the most common methods.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Estenia
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estenia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:28 am

Deleted, don't know how I did that?
Last edited by Estenia on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Runner-up at the 1st OMAHAN FUTSAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, 4th at Maple Leaf Bowl III, 4th on Baptism of Fire 57, 2nd at Runner Cup 4, 3rd at 21st World Lacrosse Championships.

88% Libertatrian
72% Conservative
63% Liberal

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:24 am

Islas del Sol wrote:
Abserdia wrote:Science might be the most important though, as a nation that has an arsenal of nuclear bombs with no allies can still take out a few nations.

And what about if a nation refuses to admit the "death" of his military? What would be the next step, then?

That's when the weapons of mass destruction come into play for me.

The average nuclear defence system I have seen (in NS) can handle say 200 WMDs at the same time.

So toss 1,000 Weapons of Mass Destruction into the air.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 am

Draica wrote:How are chemical weapons used in MT RP?

That completely depends on the weapon.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013

Postby Rhodevus » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 am

Estenia wrote:
Jenrak wrote:For those new, uncertain, at a rut, or wanting to discuss any sort of topic in between in regards to II Role-Playing, please feel free to posit questions, threads, and topic discussions. This thread is intended to be an open area of general discussion on II Role-playing, for newer and older players and where assistance can be given. Please keep all off-topic chatter to a minimum.

NOTE: II, GE&T, and F&NI RPing questions only, please. NSSports and Gameplay-based RPing questions are not the main focus of this thread.

idiot

Why is Jenrak an idiot?
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 am

Troll/spam, ignore the post.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 am

The Macabees wrote:Troll/spam, ignore the post.

Will do.

Also, what is a normal ratio of military personell to support?
And what are normal forms of military support?
MT
She/Her
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:33 am

Abserdia wrote:

The issues with trying to decide who is the strongest like this is mainly that there's no way to enforce anything in NationStates. NS isn't a strategy game where there are hard coded rules determining who has nukes or who has more troops. Even the population figures provided by the game are often overlooked by RPers, either pop-capping themselves or something else. Remember, NS is not something where you can play it like Command & Conquer or Starcraft, with 'rules' determining who and what is stronger than anyone else. NS is about cooperative writing to tell a story.

When trying to determine who should 'win' a battle or war, it's best to talk to your fellow RPers, and try to determine whose victory would best further the story. You can factor in the things talked about here, but they are far from the only things you should think about when trying to decide who should be the victor.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 am

Rhodevus wrote:Also, what is a normal ratio of military personell to support?
MT

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly it's about 1:4 for ground forces and 1:8 for air forces, with navy being somewhere in between (1:6?). Even if those ratios aren't exactly right, they're pretty close. These include logistics, cooks, maintenance, and various other jobs -- to get an idea of what these are, I recommend looking through the list of MOS' you can enlist for in the U.S. Army, Navy, and Air Force.

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:41 am

Also, what is a normal ratio of military personell to support?

And to toss a bit more salt in the water...

One of those factors that seems to affect how many support personnel a military has is how much they value their own forces; IE the safety and lives of their men and women. This would, to my mind, be somewhat based on the Nation's politics. A dictatorship where every soldier is expected to be ready to die for the man with the fancy hat might have less, while a democracy with a free media that covers every single death down to the minute might have far more so as to hopefully prevent some of those deaths and the perception of loss that comes along with it.

I personally run at... (checks the secret spreadsheet) around 12:1 and I'm very much not MT.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Thank you both mentors for the assistance! :)
She/Her

Factbook

Klemantan-Borneo
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Klemantan-Borneo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:37 pm

How do we really define PMT/ Post-Modern Tech? It is by logic it's between Modern Tech(what we have today) and Future Tech(Star Trek/Wars/Battlestar Galactica Movies), and it's a subject of great debate and it's really in the area. What technology could be deemed as PMT
Last edited by Klemantan-Borneo on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlsvadian Kingdom of Klemantan-Borneo
Klemantan-Borneo Official Factbook | Embassy Programme

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Klemantan-Borneo wrote:How do we really define PMT/ Post-Modern Tech? It is by logic it's between Modern Tech(what we have today) and Future Tech(Star Trek/Wars/Battlestar Galactica Movies), and it's a subject of great debate and it's really in the area. What technology could be deemed as PMT

For technologies, I split Past Tech into several sections, (club, sword and shield, siege, flint, rifle, great war, riech, korea, and vietnam eras), modern tech consists of everything from 1980 to 2020. Post Modern Tech is 2020-2050, and after 2050 its Future Tech.

This is typically opinionated. There is no clear answer.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:43 pm

Klemantan-Borneo wrote:How do we really define PMT/ Post-Modern Tech? It is by logic it's between Modern Tech(what we have today) and Future Tech(Star Trek/Wars/Battlestar Galactica Movies), and it's a subject of great debate and it's really in the area. What technology could be deemed as PMT

The rule of thumb as to the difference between MT and PMT is that anything past 2020 is PMT. A for technology, I subscribe to Lyras' version: As long as there is the materials and the know-how in modern times, it is possible. I did ad-lib there a bit though since I can't remember the exact quote. FT is generally regarded as the far future, like 25XX to 100XX and even older!
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:11 pm

I usually don't distinguish between MT and PMT unless we're getting really far out, like nuclear-powered power suits or something like that. Miltech doesn't have a significant impact on my RPs, because I'm probably going to take a similar amount of casualties whether my Nakíls and Linces are facing T-90s or another PMT tank. I choose to adopt that philosophy because arms races tend to be to the detriment to the RP -- rather than write a story, we spend time putting together write-ups. If it becomes too obsessive, you don't write at all; it happened to me and a lot of other nations during the heyday of the NSDraftroom. Miltech should be for the purpose of making the story more interesting, but nothing else beyond that.

Edit: Of course, some players' objective is just to sell miltech and that's perfectly acceptable. I don't intend to criticize the use of miltech towards those ends.
Last edited by The Macabees on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untaroicht
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Untaroicht » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Vancon wrote:

The rule of thumb as to the difference between MT and PMT is that anything past 2020 is PMT. A for technology, I subscribe to Lyras' version: As long as there is the materials and the know-how in modern times, it is possible. I did ad-lib there a bit though since I can't remember the exact quote. FT is generally regarded as the far future, like 25XX to 100XX and even older!

I have to respectfully disagree. I've been a strict PMT Roleplayer for about 2 years now, and I've generally agreed with everyone I've talked to that RP's we consider canon can take place anywhere from the 2020's, to the 22nd century (when I usually consider things canon), all the way up to the invention of interstellar travel.

I generally consider PMT to be FT, just without the space-travel and aliens. Futuristic tech in the near to far future, but only with humans and on one planet.
Last edited by Untaroicht on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NSG's NEW (un)official resident survivalist/doomsday prepper - BURY YOUR SILVER!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents