NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 am

Kings Island wrote:Hello. I was commencing invasion of the nation Guatamala, and he stated that, because my topic is closed, he can simply ignore my annexation. Is this true?

Cuius regio, eius religio. Whose realm, his religion, my friend. These were the words of the Treaty of the Peace of Augsburg. Each player is the king of his own nation. Perhaps he didn't want a war?

I essentially agree with this:
Lubyak wrote:Any player can ignore anything another player does, it's part of freeform RP. This is usually done to players who consistently godmod and wank, or are simply not fun to RP with. It has nothing to do with whether or not the topic is closed or not. However, it's best to not excessively ignore players, as that can give you a bad reputation on the forums.

But I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgment on him; I know that I, for one, automatically refuse to participate in a war/invasion if the player in question did not come to me first, privately, and ask if I wanted to be involved in such an affair. It's a matter of etiquette, really, as well as freeform Roleplay. Some players are very defensive about what happens to their nation. It just so happens that I am not, but it is good to show deference to the defender. Approach him privately in a TG and explain your idea for a war. Try to convince him why it would be a good roleplay and fun to write.

But the reason to do this is twofold. As was already addressed,this is freeform roleplay so, ultimately, each player gets to decide what happens to his or her nation. I don't want to get nuked. I don't care if players use nukes as EMT's or whatever, but I do not want to get nuked. So I will ignore any nuclear strikes on my nation and I will refuse to RP with players who are nuke-happy. Such is my prerogative. There's a certain way that I want my nation's story to develop. A way that I think would be interesting. And that does not involve being leveled by nukes. That being said, a player can't just commit atrocities such as "I execute millions of people!" and expect no come-uppance. That's just bad, annoying writing. More or less trolling. So approach Guatamala beforehand and ask him, first, if he would be interested in a war. Then ask him to what extent he'd be willing to take the war. If he doesn't want you to set foot on his capital, for instance, then you can't. But if he refuses to give you ANY gains or victories then I wouldn't bother RPing with him in the first place because he'd probably be bad and the RP wouldn't be fun.

Ultimately, RP's should be fun. And if one member of the RP is unwilling or reluctant, it would probably ruin the RP anyway because you would end up with one liners and poor writing because their heart won't be in it. And nobody wants that. If Guatamala continues to rebuff your advances and you're still hankering for a war RP, then I would be more than happy to write a war with you. You can invade me. There are plenty of things I could come up with as an IC pretense. You could even win. I hardly mind losing wars as I've lost plenty already, some of which were on my home soil. Honestly, I kind of find it fun to lose them. If you want to take me up on my offer, feel free to wire me a telegram and we can discuss what we want to do.

~TBP
Last edited by The Black Plains on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 am

Essentially; before declaring an IC (In-character) invasion of someone, if you are not sure of what the other player's reaction will be; it'll be much better to be safe than sorry later, in the form of OOC (out-of-character) bitchfest (pardon my word, Sir) or argumentative boxing/fencing matches.

Ask or telegram the player first.

Roleplaying in NationStates is about having fun with one another, if you are in it to win the game (purely without any acknowledgement of the other player's right to react fairly), then you're very much mistaken my friend.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 am

Yohannes wrote:Essentially; before declaring an IC (In-character) invasion of someone, if you are not sure of what the other player's reaction will be; it'll be much better to be safe than sorry later, in the form of OOC (out-of-character) bitchfest (pardon my word, Sir) or argumentative boxing/fencing matches.

Ask or telegram the player first.

Roleplaying in NationStates is about having fun with one another, if you are in it to win the game (purely without any acknowledgement of the other player's right to react fairly), then you're very much mistaken my friend.

Good God, how well my three paragraphs condensed into three sentences. Well put, Madame.
Last edited by The Black Plains on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:06 am

OK, dumb newb question here: What's the difference between Diplomacy > Nationstates and Diplomacy > International Incidents? What sort of RPs should go where?
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:10 am

Hello and welcome to the roleplaying realms of NationStates.

Both forums will be fine, so simply pick the one with the community which you will prefer to roleplay with the most, or associate with the most In-Character wise. Both forums are essentially the same, only with a different base of community and roleplayers.
Last edited by Yohannes on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:12 am

SquareDisc City wrote:OK, dumb newb question here: What's the difference between Diplomacy > Nationstates and Diplomacy > International Incidents? What sort of RPs should go where?

Hehe. I've been here a while and I don't even know the answer to that one... No one really does. It is the age old Diplomacy mystery....

EDIT: What Yohannes said.

EDIT 2: Personally I do alliance and war threads (in the rare event I can bothered doing a war RP), plus other "high stakes" roleplays in II, whereas I do my more character oriented "John from Radiatia went to insert country here and had a cup of tea"/ less significant ones in Nationstates.

But it's totally personal preference, as Yohannes said.
Last edited by Radiatia on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Reformed Golandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Reformed Golandia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:13 am

SquareDisc City wrote:OK, dumb newb question here: What's the difference between Diplomacy > Nationstates and Diplomacy > International Incidents? What sort of RPs should go where?

From what i've seen. Alot of summits and meetings go on in Nationstates And Diplomacy and also Alliances ICly sometimes. International Incidents most Alliances happen there and the usual war and all that stuff.

Go to whichever you want. Your choice.
The Imperial Commenwealth of Golandia. Factbook. WIP

Population cap: 8,000,000. (Temporary)

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:18 am

Since we're here to help new players, the simplest answer which doesn't open new questions is the best answer; a quote from Santheres.

Both forums will be fine, SquareDisc City. They are essentially the same, only with a different community and roleplayers.

Bicarines
Secretary

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

rp help

Postby Bicarines » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am

i need help with rp aand war as i am very new to this game this is my nation http://www.nationstates.net/nation=bicarines

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:56 am

Bicarines wrote:i need help with rp aand war as i am very new to this game this is my nation http://www.nationstates.net/nation=bicarines

Send me a telegram, and we can discuss what you need to do/need help in ;)
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Britannia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 pm

I have a question concerning PT.

Since countermeasures such as Phalanx guns and Sky Guard did not exist back in the 40's. Is it godmod to just RP my shells or rockets hitting the target, or at least that they actually hit something?
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

-Costa Luna-
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -Costa Luna- » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:I have a question concerning PT.

Since countermeasures such as Phalanx guns and Sky Guard did not exist back in the 40's. Is it godmod to just RP my shells or rockets hitting the target, or at least that they actually hit something?

Yeah it is since in turn based combat you do not decide the out come.

Salzland
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:53 pm

While there were no guided active countermeasure systems in the World War 2 era (with the limited exception of proximity-detonated shells), at the same time there were no precision guided shells or missiles. So while there's less chance of a defender shooting down incoming munitions, there's a much greater chance of the shells or rockets missing outright. If I'm recalling properly, the Norton bomb site (which was state of the art for the era) was able to put a bomb within a half mile of its target. That's why bombing missions were made up of dozens or hundreds of aircraft.
The Armed Republic of Salzland (Citizen: Salzlander)
    Proud ODECON Member
    Dagora Doctrine Signatory
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Polaris Initiative Member
    Akiwealth Member

Embassies: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1134

Flag Courtesy Of Fictions
Risk Management Incorporated: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55886

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Retired Roleplaying Mentor

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Britannia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Salzland wrote:While there were no guided active countermeasure systems in the World War 2 era (with the limited exception of proximity-detonated shells), at the same time there were no precision guided shells or missiles. So while there's less chance of a defender shooting down incoming munitions, there's a much greater chance of the shells or rockets missing outright. If I'm recalling properly, the Norton bomb site (which was state of the art for the era) was able to put a bomb within a half mile of its target. That's why bombing missions were made up of dozens or hundreds of aircraft.

So I should just let the defender decide where the bombs fell, then?
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Salzland
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Correct. Just like any other RP (with narrow exceptions, such as pre-planned or pre-approved posts, or instances where someone has blatantly engaged God mode and utterly refuses to take any damage, to the point where they are openly cheating to avoid casualties), it is up to the defender to determine their losses and/or the results of attacks.
Last edited by Salzland on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Armed Republic of Salzland (Citizen: Salzlander)
    Proud ODECON Member
    Dagora Doctrine Signatory
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Polaris Initiative Member
    Akiwealth Member

Embassies: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1134

Flag Courtesy Of Fictions
Risk Management Incorporated: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55886

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Retired Roleplaying Mentor

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Britannia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Salzland wrote:Correct. Just like any other RP (with narrow exceptions, such as pre-planned or pre-approved posts, or instances where someone has blatantly engaged God mode and utterly refuses to take any damage, to the point where they are openly cheating to avoid casualties), it is up to the defender to determine their losses and/or the results of attacks.

Ah, alrighty then. Thanks.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

UEG-The Systems Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby UEG-The Systems Alliance » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Is there any mentor available that can help me on a project?
CodexCitadel EmbassyCodex on Governments

Old Beringia wrote:Calm down and don't worry if no one makes brownies in other nations. It's not as if it's a necessity like bread or water. I'm sure they can all exist without brownies because other pastries exist and the dessert may just go by another name in those countries. The fudgey dessert must be your favorite if you get so antsy when no one knows what a brownie is. So please, calm down and go order a box of supreme fudge chocolate chip brownies from your local 9 and i convenience store; I understand they now deliver baked goods.

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:28 pm

UEG-The Systems Alliance wrote:Is there any mentor available that can help me on a project?

I've sent you a telegram, and you should check it if and when you have the chance.
Retired

War Nation
Civilian

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby War Nation » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Can some one please tell me a way to attack or at least mess up another country? I really need to know. We have a debate team at school and we use the issues as debating issues. Anyways, it's very near the end of the year and it would be quite funny if our country got attacked by another country.... I would very much like to do this.

Thank you,
War Nation

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:59 pm

War Nation wrote:Can some one please tell me a way to attack or at least mess up another country? I really need to know. We have a debate team at school and we use the issues as debating issues. Anyways, it's very near the end of the year and it would be quite funny if our country got attacked by another country.... I would very much like to do this.

Thank you,
War Nation

I'll drop you a telegram ;)
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:00 pm

War Nation wrote:Can some one please tell me a way to attack or at least mess up another country? I really need to know. We have a debate team at school and we use the issues as debating issues. Anyways, it's very near the end of the year and it would be quite funny if our country got attacked by another country.... I would very much like to do this.

Thank you,
War Nation

Well, there's no way to mess up your nation's stats through the actions of another player. You can roleplay out a war/attack of some kind, or perhaps look into the raider-defender game.

Haydn
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Haydn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:07 am

Would this count as godmodding?:

I post that we have spotted enemy planes near a base or ships. I post that the enemy nation attcks.(the one's planes who I said attacked me)
Allandium wrote:Another war then Haydn? I'll help you every step of the way.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:49 am

Haydn wrote:Would this count as godmodding?:

I post that we have spotted enemy planes near a base or ships. I post that the enemy nation attcks.(the one's planes who I said attacked me)

If this is an actual roleplay, could you supply a link so I can see? :)

But generally, you cannot say they attack unless they said in their previous post that they attacked. You can say you spotted them, however, but that also depends on what the other nation has written, hence why I'd like to see any actual roleplay if there is one, so I can elaborate further for you.

Ronationils
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ronationils » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:55 am

you know when you post a response (like this) what do the buttons on the top do?

B, I, U, Quote, Code, List, List=, IMG, URL, Normal (up down), Font Colour, Blocktext, Strike, Tab=, Table, Align=, Background=, Box, Floatleft, Floatright, Hr, Nation, Pre, Proposal=, Region, Region-tag=, Spoiler, Sub, Sup Td, Tr

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by Indecisive on any day of the week of any month on any day of any year at any minute in any hour, edited 1,000,000,000,000 times in total

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Ronationils wrote:you know when you post a response (like this) what do the buttons on the top do?

B, I, U, Quote, Code, List, List=, IMG, URL, Normal (up down), Font Colour, Blocktext, Strike, Tab=, Table, Align=, Background=, Box, Floatleft, Floatright, Hr, Nation, Pre, Proposal=, Region, Region-tag=, Spoiler, Sub, Sup Td, Tr

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Those are BBCodes, and you can learn more about them here.
Retired

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents