NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:13 am

Khardsland wrote:
Simonia wrote:I want to make a roleplay thread about a group of Earthlings going to various nations on NationStates, but is unsure which forum I should put it in. Should I put it in II, P2TM, or another roleplay forum?

If these Earthlings belong to your nation, that'd be NationStates. Otherwise, that'd be a C/CLT and will be banned.

Or any other polity in your universe, of course.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

M-101
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby M-101 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:19 am

Simonia wrote:I want to make a roleplay thread about a group of Earthlings going to various nations on NationStates, but am unsure which forum I should put it in. Should I put it in II, P2TM, or another roleplaying forum?

Now this is a complicated one. I have seen several threads on the NationStates forum where the host of the thread opens their nation for tourism and you sign up your characters to explore their place (typically the opening post will consist of possible points of interest within the host nation), but not the other way round.

Take this with some salt, but if you execute it properly (and put some effort into it), I think a thread about a bunch of people who say, that because of a science experiment gone wrong, they getting teleported into a random nation (said the nation has registered OOCly and listed their points of interests) and had set time before they got teleported again, will be very, very, interesting to see, especially if in every location, they will try to scramble into the nearest lab or research facility in a desperate attempt to fix their rogue teleporter, only to be teleported into another place (or even time!) before they can get help.
[ :::: COMPENDIUM :::: ]
COLLECTIVELY CONSTRUCTING COORDINATED CIVILIZATION CORDIALLY CIRCA 2101

Civilization mostly consists of the Comps, sapient ex-construction AI bots resembling cubic CRT monitors centered around the galaxy Messier 101
Member of the Free World Coalition
NS Stats have been dismantled into elementary substances to be of better use
Factbooks fabricator functions failed, fixing for foreseeable future...
R.I.P BUHERS/ECLIPSLAND
[■] [■] [■] [■] [■] [■] [■] [■] [■]

Mubata
Attaché

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mubata » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:53 pm

M-101 wrote:
Simonia wrote:I want to make a roleplay thread about a group of Earthlings going to various nations on NationStates, but am unsure which forum I should put it in. Should I put it in II, P2TM, or another roleplaying forum?

Now this is a complicated one. I have seen several threads on the NationStates forum where the host of the thread opens their nation for tourism and you sign up your characters to explore their place (typically the opening post will consist of possible points of interest within the host nation), but not the other way round.

Take this with some salt, but if you execute it properly (and put some effort into it), I think a thread about a bunch of people who say, that because of a science experiment gone wrong, they getting teleported into a random nation (said the nation has registered OOCly and listed their points of interests) and had set time before they got teleported again, will be very, very, interesting to see, especially if in every location, they will try to scramble into the nearest lab or research facility in a desperate attempt to fix their rogue teleporter, only to be teleported into another place (or even time!) before they can get help.

Interesting? Yes. Difficult to RP and hold the interest of all involved? Very.
A project RP like this is more likely to be successful if you coordinate with one or more players closely, rather than open it up to anyone to post whenever they have interest and remember to do so. Putting up an interest thread to become an OOC thread for your RP would be the first step. Setting up ground rules with a potential host/visitor in the situation would be the second.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:44 am

M-101 wrote:

This idea is funny and I love it.
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.

Siimyardo
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 18, 2023
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Siimyardo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:20 pm

If an RP took place entirely within the borders of the OPs nation, and the characters from the other player nations were recent (but permanent) immigrants, and not representatives of the governments of their homelands, would the thread be better suited for Nationstates or International incidents?

And has their ever been a case where a multi-player RP has been done wholly or primarily in the form of journal entries?

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:59 pm

Sounds like NationStates imo

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:21 am

Khardsland wrote:
Simonia wrote:I want to make a roleplay thread about a group of Earthlings going to various nations on NationStates, but is unsure which forum I should put it in. Should I put it in II, P2TM, or another roleplay forum?

If these Earthlings belong to your nation, that'd be NationStates. Otherwise, that'd be a C/CLT and will be banned.

Couldn't it fit okay in 'Portal to the Multiverse'?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:45 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Khardsland wrote:If these Earthlings belong to your nation, that'd be NationStates. Otherwise, that'd be a C/CLT and will be banned.

Couldn't it fit okay in 'Portal to the Multiverse'?

It's usually for stuff unrelated to the game

Kareniya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 03, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kareniya » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:37 pm

What's the difference between a more casual RP (like no post length requirements) and a CLT?

I can't seem to find anything that clarifies this.
Карения

Info in factbook and dispatches. NS stats aren't canon.

OOC Info: I'm an atheist, asexual, pro-choice, cat-loving girl who considers herself somewhere between a classical liberal and a centrist. I stand with Ukraine, the Belarusian opposition, and the people of Russia who are against the war.

Dyrrhonian Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: May 30, 2021
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dyrrhonian Isles » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:54 am

Kareniya wrote:What's the difference between a more casual RP (like no post length requirements) and a CLT?

From my understanding, CLTs usually involve characters that are completely separate from a nation's IC canon. They are more of an extension of the player controlling the nation than a citizen from the nation per se.
Dieresis of Diarcesia

Kareniya
Bureaucrat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kareniya » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:23 am

Dyrrhonian Isles wrote:
Kareniya wrote:What's the difference between a more casual RP (like no post length requirements) and a CLT?

From my understanding, CLTs usually involve characters that are completely separate from a nation's IC canon. They are more of an extension of the player controlling the nation than a citizen from the nation per se.

So if I decided to RP as my leader as she is in my IC canon in an unconventional situation (like getting lost in the woods or stranded on an island) to develop her character and some other players did the same with their leaders or other characters as they are in their IC canons, would that be acceptable and not CLT?

I like character-focused RPs and tend to write shorter RP posts (I label myself "semi-literate" on forums and games that use that set of terms), so I tend to look for those, but I'm nervous since I don't want to unintentionally make or join anything that would break the rules.
Карения

OOC Info: I'm an atheist, asexual, pro-choice, cat-loving girl who considers herself somewhere between a classical liberal and a centrist. I stand with Ukraine, the Belarusian opposition, and the people of Russia who are against the war.

Dyrrhonian Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: May 30, 2021
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dyrrhonian Isles » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:28 am

Kareniya wrote:
Dyrrhonian Isles wrote:From my understanding, CLTs usually involve characters that are completely separate from a nation's IC canon. They are more of an extension of the player controlling the nation than a citizen from the nation per se.

So if I decided to RP as my leader as she is in my IC canon in an unconventional situation (like getting lost in the woods or stranded on an island) to develop her character and some other players did the same with their leaders or other characters as they are in their IC canons, would that be acceptable and not CLT?

I like character-focused RPs and tend to write shorter RP posts (I label myself "semi-literate" on forums and games that use that set of terms), so I tend to look for those, but I'm nervous since I don't want to unintentionally make or join anything that would break the rules.

Personally speaking, that is acceptable (in the NSRP board). Do note that trying to break the rules under the thin veneer of RPing will still get you punished. As often said in Moderation, if you need to ask if what you post is acceptable, there's a good chance the answer is no.
Dieresis of Diarcesia

Kareniya
Bureaucrat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kareniya » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:35 am

Dyrrhonian Isles wrote:
Kareniya wrote:

Personally speaking, that is acceptable (in the NSRP board). Do note that trying to break the rules under the thin veneer of RPing will still get you punished. As often said in Moderation, if you need to ask if what you post is acceptable, there's a good chance the answer is no.

Okay, thank you for clarifying. And I wouldn't try to break the rules, especially since I read the reason CLT was banned (I'm asexual so any "naughty" stuff makes me very uncomfortable whether it's IC or OOC).
Карения

Rusexico
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2023
Father Knows Best State

Postby Rusexico » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:42 pm

Not a mod but this is my understanding:
- An RP has a clearly defined plot, story, or objective. Players are expected to follow the plot; not just chat about random things.
- Most RPs have rules about who can post and what character types are allowed. Usually there is an OOC thread for accepting / rejecting signups and an IC thread for the actual RP. But most importantly, make it clear that it is not a place for just anyone to come in and do anything.
- It is possible to have a location / social RP that is not a CCLT as long as it has the aforementioned characteristics, e.g. this wedding RP or this Christmas party RP. That is what makes them different from this bar RP which did get banned.
Roleplaying as Russian Empire / Czardom of Russia

Nation has nothing to do with Putin or the Ukraine war

The Scandinvans
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Scandinvans » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:39 pm

What is a good way to rp a theocracy?
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

Hope for a brighter tomorrow - fight the fight, find the cure

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:36 pm

The Scandinvans wrote:What is a good way to rp a theocracy?

a. Internal politics, family drama, scandals
b. Foreign intervention because of persecution of nonbelievers
c. War of aggression (if the government is militant proselytizing)
d. Civil war

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:18 pm

Diarcesia wrote:

a. Internal politics, family drama, scandals
b. Foreign intervention because of persecution of nonbelievers
c. War of aggression (if the government is militant proselytizing)
d. Civil war

Civil War is interesting as it can spawn from nigh-irreconcilable differences in theological understanding, essentially fanaticism in heresy cranked up to 11.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Oliveira
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 19, 2024
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Oliveira » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:51 am

I recently had a project of mine declared illegal in the assembly. Does anyone know how many projects I would be banned from there for this?

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Ice States » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:12 pm

Oliveira wrote:I recently had a project of mine declared illegal in the assembly. Does anyone know how many projects I would be banned from there for this?

Unless it's, like, deliberate spam or repeat plagiarism you shouldn't get banned from the WA for submitting illegal proposals. For these sorts of questions though I would direct you to the General Assembly Q&A!
Last edited by The Ice States on Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:36 pm

Have an organization or alliance of sorts and start a summit. Yes, I'd probably join.

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:49 am

I want to solidify part of my lore by creating an RP revolving around the early years of my nation. What's the best way to go about this?
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:33 pm

Untecna wrote:I want to solidify part of my lore by creating an RP revolving around the early years of my nation. What's the best way to go about this?

What's the lore that you want to solidify?
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:52 pm

The Macabees wrote:
Untecna wrote:I want to solidify part of my lore by creating an RP revolving around the early years of my nation. What's the best way to go about this?

What's the lore that you want to solidify?

The signing and mission of the Great Convention, and some time following. Essentially, the formational period.
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:57 pm

Untecna wrote:The signing and mission of the Great Convention, and some time following. Essentially, the formational period.

How does the signing come about? What was the tension that led to it - the tension that made it necessary for your country's leaders to come together and sign the Great Convention?

Think of a story in the sense of: introduction of characters/plot -> tension/conflict that increases over time until it's about to burst -> resolution.

What's the tension/conflict that's increasing over time until it's about to burst?
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:01 pm

The Macabees wrote:
Untecna wrote:The signing and mission of the Great Convention, and some time following. Essentially, the formational period.

How does the signing come about? What was the tension that led to it - the tension that made it necessary for your country's leaders to come together and sign the Great Convention?

Think of a story in the sense of: introduction of characters/plot -> tension/conflict that increases over time until it's about to burst -> resolution.

What's the tension/conflict that's increasing over time until it's about to burst?

Is that question a point in a direction, or a question you want me to answer now?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents