NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

St Nevis And Kitts
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby St Nevis And Kitts » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:40 am

UpperWales wrote:I hate roleplaying. Even more so, I hate the fat nerds who "invade" regions.

How do I get rid of it?

The Kingdom of Great Britain has been invaded and I want that douche out.

Why did you hate role play . Nation state is all about role playing
Sovereign King of the Constitutional Union and all the crown dominion

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:20 am

St nevis and kitts wrote:
UpperWales wrote:I hate roleplaying. Even more so, I hate the fat nerds who "invade" regions.

How do I get rid of it?

The Kingdom of Great Britain has been invaded and I want that douche out.

Why did you hate role play . Nation state is all about role playing

Why did you answer something from the first page of this thread that has already been dealt with?
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:05 am

ABDS Corporation wrote:Assuming I am using a calculator to derive from my RP population my military budget (as reflected by the game's stats engine), how many years worth of annual budget is it reasonable to spend on equipment? Obviously a military doesn't liquidate their entire assets pile every year and re-purchase equipment.

I'm thinking something like 5*Annual for the Army, 10*Annual for Airforce, and something like 20*Annual for the Navy, based on service life of said equipment.
Operations and maintenance varies HUGELY.

Simply maintaining a rifle is a fraction of the cost if it's never used.

If it used a lot, for a long time, it eventually becomes more expensive (especially as the parts become more expensive over time, but you have already bought the rifle.)

Training requires ammunition. How many thousands of rounds do you want your men to shoot? You can save all that money and never have them shoot their rifle ever. But would they be good soldiers?

Training a tank unit costs a lot because you have to buy all the fuel. Buy the practice munitions. Pay the salaries of reserves, etc etc. But of course, if your tanks sit in a warehouse and do nothing, you just pay for the warehouse maintenance and a once per year checkup, it's extremely cheap.

Here's a rule of thumb. $1 billion per year per mechanised combat brigade, $250 million per year per non-mechanised combat brigade. Then double that figure to include supporting assts, which would be your total operations and maintenance budget. Add 5-10% discretionary spending as old equipment breaks down permanently or is destroyed in accidents etc and needs to be replaced. The more you increase that number, the more training hours, the more manoeuvres your troops can go on, the more rounds they can shoot and so on. The more you decrease it, the more they stay around in barracks doing nothing.
Last edited by Questers on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Jerelisi
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerelisi » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Hope I can help a little on training munitions. Most of the units I was in would draw ~20'000 rounds of ammunition for our range. This would be enough to cover zero and qualification, with a bit left over for refires and turn in. We did this twice a year at least. Mind you, that's just range for our M16s, so adjust accordingly for MG ranges.
MT
RP Population: 130'000

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:33 pm

What happens if 10 percent of population is in the military as the calculator helpfully says.

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Jerelisi
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Jerelisi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:35 pm

Democratic peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:What happens if 10 percent of population is in the military as the calculator helpfully says.

That's a very large percentage. For every active duty Soldier you have, that's one less in the civilian workforce. It could cripple your economy. The general rule seems to be 1 - 4%, and the 4% would be pushing it.

Not only are the economic implications of that damning, but the feasibility of equiping, training and even housing those Soldiers/Airmen/Seamen and their families becomes an issue. Where would you have the space? The resources?

Even if the majority were Reserve component, they also need equipment (and if they're worth anything, they'll have the same equipment as active duty components), they also need space to train.

So, keep those considerations in mind when considering the size of your military. The biggest factor should be the reasons you have a military to begin with. I'm sure others could add more to the conversation.

I hope that helps.
MT

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:19 am

Democratic peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:What happens if 10 percent of population is in the military as the calculator helpfully says.

10% is an infeasibly large chunk of your population in the military. Remember, the type of people who are in the military are likely going to be the same kind of people who you need in your work force: healthy, young, educated, adults.

Let's look at a sample population pyramid shall we?

People aged 0-14 are too young to work, or be in your military, and are so unavailable. People over 60-65 are also likely getting too old to be in your work force and will be retiring, the same for your military. Add on to this people who are disabled or ill in someway that takes them out of the workforce, and then shrink the remainder by 10%. By keeping 10% of your people in the military, you are shrinking your own workforce, while increasing the costs of the government. After all, if someone's a soldier, they're not being a factory worker, accountant, or some other job.

Basically, unless you're in a do or die situation, where nothing else matter but putting bodies in uniform, then go for way less than 10%. 1-4% is a much more reasonable figure for having a decent economy.

And as Jerlisi said, consider what your military is being used for. Is it a home defence force? A power projection tool? Something for propping up the government? Where will it be operating? Is your nation separated from potential threats by natural barriers (e.g. oceans, mountains, etc.), or is there nothing but well developed land between you and them? What's your own geography like? Where will your military be fighting? Will they be rooting insurgents out of cities and/or mountains, engaging massed armoured formations in the plains, intercepting convoys on the high sea, or something else? What's your economic base like? What about the internal politics? Do you have foreign backers or allies?

All of these questions are much more important for shaping your nation's military than trying to decide on a flat percentage of population.

North Timeria
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North Timeria » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:48 am

... So this one nation started a war and gained some very important land. In response a coalition condemned this Action and started to fight back. When an invasion was launched he basically said "I quit... The was is over I won." , "Anything after this will be ignored."
After we tried to get him to join our war RP but he refused and we really need a way to strike back.
Please give me advice on what we could do to strike back at him.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:01 am

North Timeria wrote:... So this one nation started a war and gained some very important land. In response a coalition condemned this Action and started to fight back. When an invasion was launched he basically said "I quit... The was is over I won." , "Anything after this will be ignored."
After we tried to get him to join our war RP but he refused and we really need a way to strike back.
Please give me advice on what we could do to strike back at him.

RP is entirely voluntary; if this one nation started a war, and the other nation consented, the war may only be prosecuted as both agree. If he/she has chosen to end the RP after achieving their war aims, but at a point where the other RPers do not agree, you really have two options.

1) Retcon the whole conflict- if you can't come to an agreement, this is probably the most reasonable way forward.

2) Talk it through; it isn't reasonable to cut off a RP to only benefit one side's agenda, as that destroys any story which might progress forward.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

New Ceylon
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ceylon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:08 am

Hello, I am fairly new here. I know somewhat how to RP, and it is not general RPing that brought me here. Instead, I seek guidance with the level of technology present in New Ceylon.

You see, I have essentially no idea what PMT looks like, and so I have decided to ask here. How futuristic is PMT? Very near future, or inter-planetary colony level? Do hover tanks exist in PMT, or are they FT inventions?

I ask this to prevent confusion as I classify New Ceylon as PMT, yet have no idea what exactly PMT is. I know the basic gist of it, and that it is between MT and FT, but I am unsure as to the boundaries of PMT.

Any response is greatly appreciated!

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:10 am

New Ceylon wrote:Hello, I am fairly new here. I know somewhat how to RP, and it is not general RPing that brought me here. Instead, I seek guidance with the level of technology present in New Ceylon.

You see, I have essentially no idea what PMT looks like, and so I have decided to ask here. How futuristic is PMT? Very near future, or inter-planetary colony level? Do hover tanks exist in PMT, or are they FT inventions?

I ask this to prevent confusion as I classify New Ceylon as PMT, yet have no idea what exactly PMT is. I know the basic gist of it, and that it is between MT and FT, but I am unsure as to the boundaries of PMT.

PMT is very vague, but there are some "rules" behind it.

Generally, it is past 2030, and before Faster Then Light technology.

It can consist of anything you can fit within those boundaries.

It's all up to you really, since it's all naught but your imagination.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

New Ceylon
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ceylon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:18 am

Vancon wrote:
New Ceylon wrote:Hello, I am fairly new here. I know somewhat how to RP, and it is not general RPing that brought me here. Instead, I seek guidance with the level of technology present in New Ceylon.

PMT is very vague, but there are some "rules" behind it.

Thank you!

I was concerned that my technology (which includes laser wielding tanks, powered armour and, soon, hover tanks) would be too advanced to be considered PMT. Your quick response is greatly appreciated!

I do have another question. This one is a military one. Seeing as my nation encompasses, effectively, Sri Lanka, what kind of maritime forces are recommended for use? I intend for mainly defensive purposes, with fast "hit and run" strikes being an important tactic. Would submarines be good for such warfare, or would missile destroyers be more adept at combatting opponents without getting hit? Or is their another, better alternative?

In addition, I must ask how exactly one should get started on these forums. As I said, I have some experience with RPing before, but am uncertain as to what kind of event would work well. Apart from civil war, of course. But any other event, preferably one with military involved (as it is essentially all I have for now) would be excellent.

Again, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:28 am

New Ceylon wrote:
Vancon wrote:PMT is very vague, but there are some "rules" behind it.

Thank you!

I was concerned that my technology (which includes laser wielding tanks, powered armour and, soon, hover tanks) would be too advanced to be considered PMT. Your quick response is greatly appreciated!

I do have another question. This one is a military one. Seeing as my nation encompasses, effectively, Sri Lanka, what kind of maritime forces are recommended for use? I intend for mainly defensive purposes, with fast "hit and run" strikes being an important tactic. Would submarines be good for such warfare, or would missile destroyers be more adept at combatting opponents without getting hit? Or is their another, better alternative?

In addition, I must ask how exactly one should get started on these forums. As I said, I have some experience with RPing before, but am uncertain as to what kind of event would work well. Apart from civil war, of course. But any other event, preferably one with military involved (as it is essentially all I have for now) would be excellent.

Let's handle this one bit at a time, shall we?

What kind of maritime forces are recommended for use?
This is dependent on a few things, such as how advanced your naval tech is, and whether or not your doctrine demands it. In terms of defensive tactics, I doubt hit and runs will do you any good. You'll need to be able to survive an onslaught and be able to hold off enemy attacks. Subs would be pretty good, as will missile destroyers. Missiles are the very useful but not so cool kid of the class. They're super smart and everyone should like them, but cannos are cooler in my opinion. Missiles would win though.

I suggest you re-ask your question here.

How exactly one should get started on these forums?
Find a thread that you like
Join the IC/OOC
Chill with them.
Join that group's RPs.
Become friends with them
Make your own and have them join you.
Have new people join you
Become friends with them
Rinse, wash, repeat.

You can also do this by joining a region and becoming friends with them. Repeat steps until you have plenty of friends.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:12 am

New Ceylon wrote:
Vancon wrote:PMT is very vague, but there are some "rules" behind it.

Thank you!

Your best option IMO would be missile boats and diesel electric subs. Guided missile destroyers and cruisers and what not are useful, but they're primarily blue water vessels meant to assist in the projection of power. They're simply too big and expensive to really work well in the kind of situation you're imagining. The good thing about modern AShMs is that you can put weapons that could easily kill a full capital ship on a platform that is much much cheaper. Diesel electric subs are also going to be useful, as--while they lack the speed and range of nuclear boats--they are much quieter when on battery power alone. When you're mostly focused on coastal operation, the advantages of nuclear powered subs become less important, and the advantages of diesel-electric boats become much greater. Modern diesel electric subs can carry the same torpedoes and missiles that a more expensive nuclear sub would anyway, so when it comes to defending your home waters, they're a great option.

Don't just rely on your navy though. Land based aircraft carrying anti-ship missiles and shore based launchers are all good counters and ways to defend yourself against hostile fleets.

As for getting started, you have a few options. Option one would be to just start an open thread about whatever you want, and see who'll join in. The other--which I personally prefer--would be to find an RP region you like, and try and begin getting involved with them. RP regions offer you lots of advantages, as you can get a solid map and idea of who's who rather than open threads. It'll also give you an audience to advertise too, which is always helpful.

Hope you find this useful!

Dremovia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dremovia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:30 am

Gone are the days of getting with a few others face to face over a table. I think the question is how can you find a worthy person to rp with without destroying your game consul or pc? :p

Exantos
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Exantos » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:31 am

Hey guys. So after joining a character RP I had decided to do something different and play as a character in the opposite Sex. Now how exactly do you do that without being sexist and stereotyping your character? Also added on to this if you RP as a character who is completely opposite your personality do you just think of what you would do and do the opposite, no matter how irrational it may seem?
"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well."-Alfred Adler

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 am

Exantos wrote:Hey guys. So after joining a character RP I had decided to do something different and play as a character in the opposite Sex. Now how exactly do you do that without being sexist and stereotyping your character? Also added on to this if you RP as a character who is completely opposite your personality do you just think of what you would do and do the opposite, no matter how irrational it may seem?

Rhodevus wrote:
HEADS UP: THIS POST WILL SOUND VERY SEXIST, BUT IT IS NOT MEANT THAT WAY AT ALL.

I tend to use more female characters in my RPs than male ones. Not because I find it easier to RP as women, but because it allows you t explore deeper emotions. Women tend to be more expressive with their emotions, meaning that you are able to relate past events that caused emotional stress to present RPs.

Not saying that men are not emotional, it is just that they tend to cover it up, in order to preserve their "manliness". In essence, RP female characters just as you would male ones. Don't be scared to give them "male"roles or characteristics. Allow the characters to grow just as you would a male one.

If in her past, she was in the middle of a war, make her more inclined to fear or become uneasy in war scenarios. Just like any male character
Be open to changing her language to more appropriate language. As in using certain, more thoughtful words in certain scenarios. Again, not trying to be rude or anything.

damn... hard topic to explain without sounding sexist, mean or rude...

continuing on, Again, RP female characters just as you would male ones. Over time, it will become easier to do.

quick methods to success:
-READ books that have lead female characters. A fun one is Harry Potter, or a personal favourite of mine, "The Demon King"

-Watch movies/shows with female leads. Again, one I watch as an example is Agent Carter

-Finally, don't stop practicing. Don't like how a character is turning out? Kill her/him off to make way for a more diverse and "human" character. Do not recommend this one, but I have friends who do this all the time.

sorry if I offended anyone in this post.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Exantos
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Exantos » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:48 am

Thank you so much Rhodeveus.
"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well."-Alfred Adler

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:09 am

Exantos wrote:Thank you so much Rhodeveus.

Any time. If you ever have any other questions about characters come check out the character help thread in factbooks and national information!
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Exantos wrote:Hey guys. So after joining a character RP I had decided to do something different and play as a character in the opposite Sex. Now how exactly do you do that without being sexist and stereotyping your character? Also added on to this if you RP as a character who is completely opposite your personality do you just think of what you would do and do the opposite, no matter how irrational it may seem?

Dude, just write them like you would anyone else. They're not aliens. They juts have a different set of genitalia.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:38 pm

Sounds stupid, but what's ORBATS stand for?
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:Sounds stupid, but what's ORBATS stand for?

Order of Battle, I think.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Jerelisi
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Jerelisi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:Sounds stupid, but what's ORBATS stand for?

Roski's on it, Order of Battle, you also have Order of March, but ORBAT sounds cooler. You use that to outline the forces you're deploying for a particular war, or even individual battle. Some give just a brief overview of their troop numbers, how many tanks and aircraft, etc., etc. While others prefer to give individual units, Divisions, Brigades and the like, along with stats on their maneuver fire and effects, operations support as well as sustainment units.

Essentially it's all the same, how many personnel and how much equipment you're bringing to the table.
MT

Atlantica
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantica » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:11 am

On MT RP's, how should cyberattacks be RP-ed?
Proudly a Member of the International Northwestern Union

MT, PMT: The Greater Eastern Union of Zhenia
FT: The Continuum of Atlantica

zeusdefense.com
kronosinc.com

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:24 am

Atlantica wrote:On MT RP's, how should cyberattacks be RP-ed?

You can RP it from the perspective of one of the people helping to carry it out.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents