NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Gordonopia
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:38 am

Kylarnatia wrote:After all, with everyone and their mothers

My mother's a saint Kyl :P

In all seriousness, as others have stated there isn't really an accepted standard of international law in II. Many, if not most, of the various II-focused RPing regions out there don't really recognize the WA as being a thing in the RPing universe, so the closest you'll get would be regional/interregional agreements, or the standards of various alliances.

Keep in mind, though, that it should also be acceptable to the people you're RPing with. A fair number of people might not want to RP with you if your standard operating procedure is, say, ripping every prisoner's head off even though there's no explicit 'international law' against it. So if you're going to do something that may be outside the bounds of what is acceptable in RL warfare, at least make sure your partners are aware of it. If they're fine with it, by all means go ahead and use exploding bullets and the like.
If you ever have an RPing question, please TG me about it.
Also Known as Kazmr

Host: Baptism of Fire 51, 53
Third Place: Cup of Harmony 56
Semi-Finalist: World Cup 63

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:01 pm

My personal addendum to that would be that, while some things are just things that happen (FT weapons make people explode like chunky salsa. Wear your armor!) and while others happen for flavor (A particularly vicious Commander engages in the occasional summary execution) depending on where, when, and why things happen others will take notice. Setting aside the technical reasons why we don't use exploding (small arms) bullets, engaging in ghastly behavior is more likely to draw the ire of those of us Who Can Do Something About It (TM). There is a careful line to be drawn between military effectiveness and painting a target on your back for some coalition of do-gooders to come reorganize your government into a mid-afternoon tea party on the lawn.

A savvy conqueror who wants to keep being a conqueror instead of a footnote will engage in just the right amount of wanton violence until they have that unstoppable momentum. Since (there hasn't ever) been an absolute ruler of NS RP in any timeframe, but plenty of footnotes, I would suggest that the would-be conqueror study their history. This applies to good guys too, of course. As noted some things just happen but for the good guys, that one rogue commander or exploding bullet or other 'atrocity' would soon be seen as emblematic of the entire military, or government, or civilization given the way the media and the government in good guy nations often works.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Perlinsia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Perlinsia » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Could you create a nation of farmers and have a 1 million man army of farmers? Armed with pitchforks with canews as their navy?

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Perlinsia wrote:Could you create a nation of farmers and have a 1 million man army of farmers? Armed with pitchforks with canews as their navy?

Yes, you can. On NationStates, your imagination is the limit.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Perlinsia wrote:Could you create a nation of farmers and have a 1 million man army of farmers? Armed with pitchforks with canews as their navy?

I am not sure how successful it will be in the long run against nations with guns, but it sounds like it could be fun :)
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Mephistophilia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Overlap in NationStates RPing?

Postby Mephistophilia » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:38 pm

What kind of overlap is usually practiced between topics when RPing here? Do people buy a tank in Global Economics and Trade and then go start a war with it in International Incidents?

EDIT: Just thinking of the...diplomatic repercussions of NukeMart
Last edited by Mephistophilia on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:40 pm

Mephistophilia wrote:What kind of overlap is usually practiced between topics when RPing here? Do people buy a tank in Global Economics and Trade and then go start a war with it in International Incidents?

you could, but it is not necessarily needed for you to buy the tank and use tanks in an RP. But, from my experience, if you want to use a tank designed by someone else, buy it first in global economics and trade, then use it.
She/Her
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Draica wrote:
Roski wrote:
Explosive ammunition does exist.

Its also banned by the Geneva Convention.

And if my nation has an incredibly different timeline to that?

Then you don't have to abide by it.

My nation technically takes place 30,000 years from now, so the Geneva Convention has been long since forgotten (We fled due to Chinese imperialism0
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Rhodevus wrote:
Mephistophilia wrote:What kind of overlap is usually practiced between topics when RPing here? Do people buy a tank in Global Economics and Trade and then go start a war with it in International Incidents?

you could, but it is not necessarily needed for you to buy the tank and use tanks in an RP. But, from my experience, if you want to use a tank designed by someone else, buy it first in global economics and trade, then use it.

It is very much up to the individual. Some people treat Global Economics and Trade as a place for them to 'sell', or at least post for people to appreciate, artwork that might be related to their Nation. Others view it as a sort of mini-game unto itself, though one without any kind of rules other than those in their own head. Some people just like to buy and sell. The same is true of roleplaying inside International Incidents and NationStates; You don't have to do one to do the other, and you can cross and not-cross them as you please.

The general rule for me is that if something happens within the Diplomacy Forum (F&NI, NS, II, GE&T, Sport) then it happens to my nation and is accounted for in my roleplay. Everything else - especially Portal to the Multiverse and Forum 7 - Doesn't Count Ever.

How you want to approach things is up to you, but I would encourage you to follow the simple rule of Communication and Consistency. Talk to your fellow roleplayers, and be consistent in what you do. You'll have a lot more fun and so will they!

Mephistophilia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mephistophilia » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:55 pm

As a followup with overlapping topics, this one is overlapping this one, which I find rather funny. Does this happen often?
Last edited by Mephistophilia on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadian Sovereignty
Secretary

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcadian Sovereignty » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Is it bad that I have ships over 15km long?
My entire fleet is about 1 to 2km long, I only have about 6 longer than that - not Inc. orbital defences
Tips? Suggestions?
Archamagos and Fabricator Marshal of the Arcadian Holy Empire
In the name of the Omessiah and the God Emperor

WE ARE FTL AND ANTIMATTER CAPABLE... ARE YOU?
Arcadian Sovereignty
Former: Troll Squad
Current (founder): Military powers of Arcadia
Stardate: M39.897, (After Common Era: ACE)

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Arcadian Sovereignty wrote:Is it bad that I have ships over 15km long?
My entire fleet is about 1 to 2km long, I only have about 6 longer than that - not Inc. orbital defences
Tips? Suggestions?

Is this a real-life ship on the water or in space?
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Vancon wrote:
Tips? Suggestions?

Is this a real-life ship on the water or in space?

I am going to guess, it is space, since navay vessels are usually 500-700 ft.
She/Her

Factbook

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Tips? Suggestions?

Personal Perspective? Yes.

Mentor Perspective? Possibly.

Forum Perspective? Possibly.

On the forums, you are who you say you are. If you want your nation to be composed entirely of technicolor ponies then so be it! If you want to model your nation after the Imperium of Man? So be it! However...

Just because you want your (Now 3-Day Old) Nation to be an enormous super-power doesn't make it so. There is a complex mix of give-and-take that goes on with Nations, their claimed power, their actual power, how old they are, how young they are, how much they post, how often they post, how good their posts are, what their source material is... I could go on. Suffice to say that, from my perspective and in general, you will have a hard time trying to convince anyone that you are a galactic super-power given the combination of current factors.

Based on that, I would then say that claiming one, if not multiple, multi-kilometer warships is going to be generally ignored with any and all attempts to justify their existence through 'Advanced Robotics', 'Super Science', or any other similar contrivances similarly ignored. There is however a 'However!'

If you want to have these giant warships, if you want the galactic empire, if you want to play with the 'Big Dogs', then as this is a written role-play forum I would suggest you write like a Big Dog. People will want to read your posts, participate in your threads, and interact with you as a nation if you give them some meat to chew on (Continuing the Dog Theme...). A good six-to-nine paragraph post with some character interaction, some good visual descriptions of the world around them, a minimum of explaining for the audience, and one can overcome small size, a low post count, and a derivative source material.

That is the 'However!'

So, is it bad? No, not as a single question.

There is, however, another 'However'.

Start small. Develop your Nation. Do something new with it. You do not need multi-kilometer warships to interact with the Big Dogs, or even the Medium or Regular Dogs. You need a Character and a little imagination. Want to participate in that international conflict? Send a spy. Send a diplomat. Write about two young lovers caught in the middle by happenstance or design. When people want to read your posts and interact with you, no one will care when you start slipping a sixteen kilometer dreadnought in.

Mereon
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mereon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Not sure if this falls under the right catagory, but do any of you remember the CYOA thread in F7 about 'Jenny'? Do you know if it was deleted or if it was archived, my current nation wasn't around back then, but my previous nations were.
Soar Airways
National Aerospace Corporation
Mereon National Airport (KMIA)
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.67
Link
Add 2082 posts from previous nations.
Factbook (WIP)
#puppetmaster

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 pm

I can't find anything like that in the Archives. If the topic limited-out, it may have then been auto-pruned and deleted. The same would apply if general interest was lost. I might suggest asking in F7 instead though, since you're more likely to find someone who has the same history as you do and might know.

Irav
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Irav » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:23 pm

I've been thinking about this for some time now.

My navy is pretty important for my nation since I am an archipelago.
So I spent a lot of money on it around 800 billion if I have to believe NStracker.

Would it be possible for a nation like mine to support 17 aircraft carriers, without crippling the whole economy (Economy is 98/100).
And would this be realistic to use in roleplaying (If I use around 5/6 in big conflicts.)
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Assuming some (missing) details, I'm going to say 'yes'. The United States operates... 14? Somewhere around that... Carrier groups (1 carrier plus support ships) with a 'Powerhouse' economy (Arguing that no modern nation truly has an all-consuming or frightening economy due to various reasons which boil down to 'politics') and a population of 4/10ths of your own.

Please note that this is no indication of the effectiveness of your navy! My opinion is purely based on your NS stats rather than any kind of detailed knowledge of your RP history, your head-canon, or your declared status. But based on just your stats, that is reasonable.

The big 'But' being 'what else do you have?' Not that I particularly want to know, but is this (reasonable for your size) navy complimented by an army of tens of millions? An air force with many tens of thousands of aircraft? A civil guard that is constantly putting down insurgencies and civil insurrections? If your navy is your 'big hammer', then I'd say it is reasonable.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Is it ok to use a population that is high, but below my NS population, and use the GDP per capita of another real world country (like Germany), to determine my GDP?
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Roski wrote:Is it ok to use a population that is high, but below my NS population, and use the GDP per capita of another real world country (like Germany), to determine my GDP?

Your nation, your universe, your rules.
It isn't interfering with anyone, so ya, it's fine.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Vancon wrote:
Roski wrote:Is it ok to use a population that is high, but below my NS population, and use the GDP per capita of another real world country (like Germany), to determine my GDP?

Your nation, your universe, your rules.

Would that be acceptable in a RP?

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Roski wrote:
Vancon wrote:Your nation, your universe, your rules.

Ask whomever is in your RP then. I would say yes in one of my RPs, but that's just me being open to other peoples ideas. It depends on the OP.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Roski wrote:
Vancon wrote:Your nation, your universe, your rules.

sure, why not?
It all depends on who you RP with. Just communicate with your fellow RPers on what you all believe would be a good population to use in that particular RP.
She/Her

Factbook

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:55 pm

I think it's reasonable. In theory, average income increases with population growth because the division of labor can further specialize (internal economies of scale). Edit: All else being equal, of course.
Last edited by The Macabees on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:58 pm

The Macabees wrote:I think it's reasonable. In theory, average income increases with population growth because the division of labor can further specialize (internal economies of scale). Edit: All else being equal, of course.

So, say, having a population of 958 million (Significantly smaller than 1.7 billion), and having Germany's GDP per capita, resulting in a GDP that's over 40 trillion, is reasonable?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents