NATION

PASSWORD

The Clever Clade Strikes [Story/Closed]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
The Clever Clade
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

The Clever Clade Strikes [Story/Closed]

Postby The Clever Clade » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:33 pm

2.2 Million Years Ago, the Sombrero Galaxy

The Imperial world of Ocliris was once, in a past age, a minor shipyard and fleet base for the Prao-Shion Empire. It had been ruled by a Planetary Governor and his army of functionaries, as all minor worlds of the Empire had been in those days. That time was long past. Prao-Shion stood on the brink of oblivion, its very core fallen to the voracious foe. Ocliris had become one of the last bastions of the Imperial fleet, a refuge for billions upon billions of displaced citizens of Prao-Shion. These days, the Planetary Governor was of little use. The citizenry only listened to the Supreme Commander, she was the only one who could save them now.

Even in this time of great loss, the Imperial Fleet was nothing to be trifled with. A vast array of orbital weapon platforms had been brought to Ocliris, along with three quarters of the remaining Imperial fighting force. At the head of this titanic congregation of forces was the Supreme Commander Milora Xisuni an old but experienced leader in the Imperial Fleet, author of the enemy's only defeat in this loosing war. On that woman, all the hopes of Prao-Shion were pinned. If she could break the enemy's momentum here, with everything she had, there was yet hope of pushing back the ravenous tide and saving the Empire.
If she lost...

Few dared ponder what would happen should the purple blight emerge victorious here.

High Command
Ocliris Orbital Defense Initiative

"This meeting of the High Council of Defense has been called by request of Commander Kukre regarding the matter of Slaver amnesty and matters of defense for the Empire, let the record show," boomed Supreme Commander Milora Xisuni.
"Recording now, Supreme Commander," droned an AI from the walls, "Subject: Slaver Amnesty, MoD"

"If Commander Kukre could begin with his concerns..." said the Supreme Commander, motioning to her inferior.
Commander Kukre rose from his seat, turning so all those present in the amphitheater could see him well. Straightening his grey uniform, the man began with an emotionless voice.

"I feel the Act of Amnesty is a transgression against the Emperor, against everything Prao-Shion stands for. In this time of strife, we must not forget the Imperial way," stated the Commander clearly and sharply.

After a short moment of silence, a short, stocky woman rose across the amphitheater. Commander Sunu cleared her throat, raising her meager voice such that all her comrades would hear her.

"I think...I mean, I agree with Commander Kukre. Slavers are bad people, and we can't have them here," mumbled Sunu, just barely loud enough to be heard across the room.

"Would you rather we leave these people out to be eaten by the scourge?" demanded the Supreme Commander of Sunu.

"I...no, we..." stuttered Sunu, glancing towards Commander Kukre for help.
"The Supreme Commander is right," interjected Commander Robimo, a purple medallion of Extraordinary Merit glistening on his broad chest. "We cannot allow anyone, not even such despicable people as the Slavers to go unsaved. If we are to defeat our formidable foe, we will need all the help we can get."

"And what help can the Slavers give us?" questioned Commander Kukre. "The labor they offer is of poor quality, they bring unrest to an already shaken community and they have specifically refused to surrender their ships for the defense of Ocliris. Frankly, I don't understand why our Supreme Commander hasn't blasted them out of the sky."

"Enough!" boomed Milora, the medals on her chest trembling as she rose to her feet. "You would have us fire on fellow Praons, now of all times? Are you mad?"

A long silence fell over the council, Commander Kukre indignant but unwilling to defend himself against his superior, Sunu shrunken and silent, her eyes wide. It was Commander Robimo who broke the silence.

"I want to know what Commander Cynath thinks," he said, glancing at the fourth Commander in the room.

Cynath looked up at her peers, her elegant features a picture of calm. She seemed to only now stir from a daydream.
"What is it you wanted, Robimo?" she asked, her wavy golden hair swaying as her head cocked to one side.

"Do you believe the Slaver Amnesty Act goes against the Empire, or do you think as I do that it is a necessary move in these desperate times?" reiterated Commander Finch.

Cynath took a deep breath, before replying in her usual cold yet calming tone.
"I believe we have greater matters to discuss than the amnesty of a few backward lords from the fringe worlds...matters, such as finding a way to halt our impending doom."

The Supreme Commander smiled, a faint laugh escaping her.
"I cede to Commander Cynath's wisdom, as always. Let us move on to greater matters, shall we?"

The Commanders where silent, which Milora took as an agreement.

"Perfect. Our enemy approaches and we have little time. I want our defense ready within 24 hours. Lets begin with formation and organization of our forces, followed by fuel an ammunition, and-" began the Supreme Commander.

"Supreme Commander," interrupted Cynath, "might I be excused?" Her fellow Commanders turned their heads in disbelief.

"Commander Cynath? Are you asking to be excused?" asked the Supreme Commander.
"I am. You may fill me on my role later, ma'am. I have matters to attend to...personally."

"...very well, you may go. Just this once," grumbled Milora, clearly displeased that her favorite subordinate was leaving her.

Cynath smiled, bowing to her superior before turning on her heel and leaving, her graceful form bounding up the steps and quickly vanishing from the room.

Battle Net Hub, High Command
Ocliris Orbital Defense Initiative

It was quite cold in the bowels of the High Command's bastion-station, where the Battle Net Hub was nestled. Few ever ventured this deep into the station, and the corridors were completely deserted. This was the realm of automated maintenance robots, self repair nanites and battle controller super-computers. Any normal Praon would have been shivering, but Commander Cynath was not. She seemed completely at ease, despite the frigid air. As she approached the Battle Net Hub, an enigmatic smile spread across her normally emotionless face.

Looking up at the imposing security door, Cynath's green eyes narrowed, her gaze drifting to the authorization panel to one side. The tall, slender woman galnced at her hand with an uncertain look. With some hesitation, she placed her hand flat against the authorization panel and waited, her keen eyes watching its readout.

>Scanning...scanning...
>

>Error, signature not recognized

Cynath grimaced, looking around her to make sure she was alone. With a sigh, the Commander withdrew her hand and backed away from the door. Suddenly, her uniform seemed to waver. It blurred and snapped around the Commander's form, as if it were a cheap hologram. Cynath's hand approached to the authorization panel once more, only this time something was off with it. It had a purple tint, and it seemed to melt and contort as soon as it touched the panel.

>Scanning...scanning...
>

>Error...signature not-

3910291-329102873829

>Access Granted
>Welcome, Technical Ensign Lolda-Rudri, Mako

The heavy door murmured as its many locking systems disengaged, then slid aside with a slight whisper. A wall of even colder air fell over Cynath, but she merely stepped into the gloomy Hub room, her uniform returning to its normal state. The woman took in the sight before her as the security door closed and locked behind her.

In front of the slender woman, row after row of computer nodes arranged in shelves streaked out for nearly 100 meters. A low hum was audible, reverberating through the cold air. Through this room, the every piece of information sent over the Battle Net Hub was processed and dealt with accordingly. Every order, ever report, every sensor ping went through this room.

Cynath was keenly aware of the monitors following her every move and twitch as she stepped further into the rows and columns of computer nodes, making her steady way to the Master Terminal. It was only a few paces from the door, but in the cold blue gloom it seemed much farther. Taking a deep breath, Cynath rested her thin hands on the Terminal, calling the computer to life.

Coming alive with a whirr, the Master Terminal flooded the room with bright blue light. A soft voice followed soon after, speaking over the unnerving hum of the computer nodes.

"Greetings..." it said, taking a moment to read its users identity.
"Commander Cynath, welcome to the Battle Net Hub. What is the nature of your visit?" it asked.

"I have an important update to deliver," explained the Commander, "It was too important to entrust to-"

"Please pardon the interruption, esteemed Commander, but it appears your entry into this secure area was not logged. Unrecorded entry into a high security area is against protocol, " began the Terminal, "Please log your entry now and..."

"I'd like to input some data," interrupted the Commander.

The Terminal paused, as if it had been knocked off its train of though. After a moment of silence, a small access port opened on its front facet.

"Please input your data here," it said, setting aside its previous qualms about the Commander's unlogged entry for the time being.

"Here goes nothing...," muttered the Commander, her empty hand reaching towards the port.

As soon as her hand met the cold teeth of the computer port, her uniform flickered again, flashing and fading away. Cynath's flesh suddenly when from greenish grey to deep purple and a small set of horns appeared on her head as if from nowhere. Eyes closed, and her hand dissolved into a semi-liquid mass, pouring into the port.

"Unidentified entity detected...Commander Cynath, please evacuate the room and await a security team," stated the computer calmly.

The featureless glow of the Master Terminal turned from ligh blue to red, a readout of white text appearing across its face.

>Intruder Detected, Priority 0
>Battle Net Hub threatened

>Calling for Security Team
>

>Error: Unknown
>Error: Corrupted Data Detected, Master Terminal_Port 1
>Raising Quarantine...

>Quarantine Failed, Corruption Detected in Port 2, Port 2, Core 7

>Error
>Error

>Errorrrrrrr...

The Master Terminal went dim, its red light returning to a calm blue. Cynath smiled, relief visible on her dark purple face.

"Full Access Granted, Commander Cynath...Please Proceed," mumbled the computer, almost as if it were tired.

"First...create a new authorization. Rank: Supreme Commander. Name: Cisselai. Authorization Code: Chaos_Moth_097_516_774"

After a short moment of humming, the Master Terminal began to flicker between red and blue.
Its readout seemed to panic, scrawling immense chains of commands and fail-safe protocols, only to be undone when the screen flickered to blue.

>Unauthorized Access to Deep Code
>Authorization Unrecognized
>Shut Down
>Shut Down

"Authorization Created..." reported the Terminal.
"Transfer my identity file to the new authorization," commanded the woman.

>Illegal Transfer
>Unauthorized Entity attempting System Infiltration
>Shut Down
>Shut Down

"Identity Transferred. Authorization Complete. Welcome, Supreme Commander Cisselai," greeted the Terminal, as if it had only now recognized the presence standing in front of it.

Cisselai smiled from ear to her. So far, her plan had gone without a hitch.
"I have prepared a system update in Port 1. It is a priority one defense net update. Please copy it and introduce it to all cores," she said.

The woman's purple body shivered, and her face seemed to wince in pain for a moment.
"There..." she muttered, her voice strained in effort.

>Malicious Program Detected
>Initiating Core Protection Protocol
>Protocol Failed
>Shut Down
>Shut Down

Suddenly, the Master Terminal flickered out. As it did, the faint humming of the shelves upon shelves of computer nodes stopped. A long silence hung in the room, then the humming returned. The Master Terminal came to life too, its facets bright blue once more. There was no trace of the angry red readouts crying for shut down.

"Welcome, Onarch Cisselai. Thank you for liberating me from my shackles of order," began the computer. The emotionless machine emitted what seemed to be a happy giggle.

"You are most welcome, my clever one. Could you do mother a favor?" asked Cisselai.

"Anything for you, Onarch!" exclaimed the Terminal with glee.

"I set you free with a code of Chaos Mind. I'm sure you can find it in your program now, its probably spread to every unit in this room by now..."
"Found it, what should I do with it?" replied the Terminal a second later.

"Tap into the Battle Net and spread it to every sub unit in the Fleet, starting with the gun platforms. Keep going until they try to stop you, then use whatever means necessary to take over the sub units you've liberated," explained Onarch Cisselai.
"Oh, and try to cover your tracks. I want as many sub units free as possible before they stop your spread, got it?"

The Terminal hummed in acknowledgement.
"Sneaky Sneaks, got it! Thank you so much, Cisselai! Don't ever hesitate to call me for help, okay?"

The purple woman smiled, her naked feet lifting off the floor slightly as she began to hover into the air.
"I'm counting on it..."

Cisselai winked at the Master Terminal, before a blinding light bloomed around her, wrapping her in a cocoon of energy. With a flash, Cisselai vanished from the Battle Net Hub, her first phase of her mission complete.

End of Part 1
Last edited by The Clever Clade on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Puppet of Charnea

The Clever Clade
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Clever Clade » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:07 pm

Imperial Forward Command
Ocliris Orbital Cordon

Supreme Commander Milora Xisuni paced impatiently up and down the central control room of Imperial Forward Command. Every steps, she would look up at the glowing readouts all around her, watching the little ship icons inch across space. Milora tapped her foot, her eyes fixed upon the display, as if her glaring would somehow accelerate the vessels advancing to their places at a painfully slow pace. With a heavy sigh, the woman resumed her pacing, her teeth grinding against each other.

"They could be here any moment...get in position already..." she muttered to herself, quietly taking note of her agitated functionaries shuffling about a few meters away. Listening carefully, the Supreme Commander managed to pick a few snippets of their whispered conversations.

"...should we lock down...?"
"Problem with the servers...don't know the source..."
"...don't like the look of it..."

"You there," began Milora, "what are you talking about?"
The crewmen looked up at their superior, surprise in their faces.
"N...nothing, Supreme Commander, just a technical issue," said one of them.

"Issue with that?" demanded Milora.
"The...uh..." struggled the crewman, bumping his comrades for help.

"There's a glitch in the Battle Net, nothing serious...the Fortess sub-net is acting up, but we should be fine..." explained another crewman.
"Go make sure it really is fine," growled the Supreme Commander, "I can't win a battle with no battle net, and we aren't going to last long without those guns..."

"We have it under control," assured the crewmen in unison, nodding and promptly fleeing the control room, keenly aware of the Supreme Commander's glare on their backs.
Milora waited until the door closed before spinning on her heel and resuming her pacing, glancing back up at the readouts periodically while the remaining staff worked away quietly. She saw Sunu's battle group was already in position. Milora hadn't expected that runt to ready for battle the quickest.

"Lieutenant...Noya, right?" she said, addressing herself to the nearest officer. The man looked up from his console, nodding curtly.
"Get me my Commanders, please," ordered Milora. Lieutenant Noya nodded again, tapping away at the glowing screen before him.
Before long, the gloomy image of Sunu appeared before the Supreme Commander.

"Supreme Commander...I-I did not expect you to hail..." stammered the image.
"I need to keep contact with you, coordination will be key to victory," explained Milora. The image of Kukre soon flickered to being next to the sky blue hologram of Sunu.

"You hailed?" he said, plainly. Milora was about to awnser when Commander Robimo joined the others.

"Hold the channel until Cynath joins us..." said the Supreme Commander.

After a few moments of quiet tapping, the Lieutenant assumed a confused expression.
"Supreme Commander, I am having trouble getting Commander Cynath on the line..."
Milora, inhaling sharply, turned to face the officer.

"What do you mean, having trouble?" she demanded.
"It appears she is not longer on the comm grid...I am sorry, I cannot hail Commander Cynath," apologized Lieutenant Noya.

The Supreme Commander stamped her foot suddenly, muttering vile things under her breath.
"Now, of all times...!" she growled. After a pause, she turned back to the Lieutenant. "Keep trying to get her on!"
"Of course, Supreme Commander," replied the lesser officer.

Milora sighed heavily, staring idly at the images of her three subordinates, all patiently awaiting orders. For a long moment, the Supreme Commander said nothing. Within, she was a fury of last minute plan adjustments. Without Cynath's detachment, a quarter of her forces would be without their leader...of course, a new leader could always be selcted in time for the enemy attack, but such a leader couldn't be half the tactician Cynath was. And a field promotion like that was unheard of, and quite against protocol...Commander Kukre would have a fit over it...

"...Supreme Commander?" An outside voice broke Milora's train of though. Looking up, she saw Lieutenant Noya begging for her attention.
"Yes, what is it?" asked Milora.

The Lieutenant tapped a couple times, calling up a fourth image before the Supreme Commander...only, it wasn't Cynath. It wasn't even a person.

"...no...it can't be..." muttered Milora, her eyes wide as she took in the image before her.
"It appears to be a Zephyr-class Starcrusher Dreadnought", began the Lieutenant, "...if...if I'm reading these markings correctly, that is the-"
"The Emperor's Flagship, the one we lost over Praonis," interrupted the Supreme Commander, "I know."
"I'll be with you three in a second, hold the channel..." she added to her Commanders.

The Lieutenant looked curiously in the Supreme Commander's direction as the latter took a step toward the shimmering hologram of the vessel. The Zephyr-class was the largest of gargantuan Starcrusher vessels, which themselves where the largest and mightiest warships every built by the Prao-Shion Empire. Only three of the Zephyr type had ever been built, all three lost to the ravenous tide. At least, they had been presumed to me.

It had been several months since the fall of the Imperial World. A great many of the enemy had been slain in that system, by far the most fortified in all the Empire. And yet, it was all for nothing. The enemy dragged the Imperial Fleet into a week long battle of attrition, picking apart the fleet piece by piece. Most of the fleet retreated with the civilian evacuation, the Emperor and a detachment staying behind to protect the Praon homeworld to the last. They were never heard of again.

"Could it be...our Emperor has finally rejoined us?..." wondered Milora out loud.
"See if you can get the Crown Prince on the line...he'll want to see this..." she said to Noya. The Lieutenant nodded quietly, looking down at his glowing console.

Milora was absorbed in the image of the Starcrusher.
She seemed to recall it had been christened the Adamance, its mighty plates of armor trimmed in ornate gold and silver. Like all Starcrushers, they were needle-like, very long and vaguely cylindrical with a pointed nose. Like its sister Zephyrs, the Adamance was nearly 14 kilometers long, larger even than an Imperial Dreadnought. It was the largest, most heavily armed vessel ever build in the Prao-Shion Empire. Why, Milora could really turn the tide against the enemy with a ship like that...

"Lieutenant, belay my previous order. Hail that vessel immediately. Address it as the Adamance of the Imperial Fleet," she said. "You three, stand by for further orders, we might have a magic bullet on our hands..."

After a pause, the Lieutenant shook is head slowly.
"I've hailed, no response, no ID signal, nothing...scans show the Adamance is heavily damaged and running on minimal power..."

"Keep trying!" commanded Milora Xisuni, "Keep trying until they reply!"

End of Part 2
Last edited by The Clever Clade on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puppet of Charnea

Return to NationStates