NATION

PASSWORD

The International Senate on Human Rights - Application Forum

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:09 am

Name of nation: United States of Devonta
Current level of civil rights: Superb
Official stance on freedom of expression: Supports fully!
Official stance on the freedom to protest: Supports fully! (As long as it stays civil and peaceful)
Official stance on the death penalty: Banned (Only reserved for extreme crimes committed against the state)
Official stance on torture: Banned
Provision of fair trials in your nation: System of courts called "Councils", operates like American courts.
Government type: Constitutional Republic
Reason for joining the ISHR: To maintain human rights around the world.
Region (main one if you travel): United Valhaven
US Air Force E-4
Twenty-Five, Male, Lightskin, Social Democrat, Proud Kansan

Proud member of the IFC, SA, IHAPC, IDS, PEDC, IBE, ISA nation!

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:06 pm

United States Of Devonta wrote:Name of nation: United States of Devonta
Official stance on the freedom to protest: Supports fully! (As long as it stays civil and peaceful)
Official stance on the death penalty: Banned (Only reserved for extreme crimes committed against the state)
Provision of fair trials in your nation: System of courts called "Councils", operates like American courts.

ACCEPTED, unless anyone objects. Please feel free to join the Senate thread.
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:
Veskesh wrote:Jeez if Turkey keeps having these coups they'll be kicked out of NATO and won't be able to join the EU....

The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened, but the Confederacy coup didn't cause it to be kicked out, did it?

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:39 am

Cool. Ready to add new member!
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Harold I
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harold I » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:07 am

Name of nation: The Grand Duchy of Harold I
Current level of civil rights: Excellent (on my nation page)
Official stance on freedom of expression: Extremely important to national democracy
Official stance on the freedom to protest: The government encourages people to protest to make sure everyone is heard. Protesting is considered vital to our national democracy.
Official stance on the death penalty: Outlawed in 1909
Official stance on torture: Outlawed in our country since 1880
Provision of fair trials in your nation: All criminals are innocent until proven guilty. All criminals have the right to be defended by a lawyer, and have the right to remain safe whilst they are in custody or are serving prison sentence.
Government type: Constitutional monarchy using PR
Reason for joining the ISHR: To help other countries increase civil rights of citizens , and to defend civil rights in our own country.
Region (main one if you travel): The Brittanian Empire
Pro: Brexit, Liberalism, NHS, LGBT Rights, Civic Nationalism, Diversity
Anti: EU, Conservatism, Privatisation, Fascism, Communism, Racism

Equally English and British.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:18 am

Harold I wrote:Name of nation: The Grand Duchy of Harold I
Current level of civil rights: Excellent (on my nation page)
Official stance on freedom of expression: Extremely important to national democracy
Official stance on the freedom to protest: The government encourages people to protest to make sure everyone is heard. Protesting is considered vital to our national democracy.
Official stance on the death penalty: Outlawed in 1909
Official stance on torture: Outlawed in our country since 1880
Provision of fair trials in your nation: All criminals are innocent until proven guilty. All criminals have the right to be defended by a lawyer, and have the right to remain safe whilst they are in custody or are serving prison sentence.
Government type: Constitutional monarchy using PR
Reason for joining the ISHR: To help other countries increase civil rights of citizens , and to defend civil rights in our own country.
Region (main one if you travel): The Brittanian Empire

Accepted, barring any objections (which I can't see happening). Feel free to visit the senate (link on page 1) and welcome!
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Harold I
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harold I » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:22 am

Thank you!
Pro: Brexit, Liberalism, NHS, LGBT Rights, Civic Nationalism, Diversity
Anti: EU, Conservatism, Privatisation, Fascism, Communism, Racism

Equally English and British.

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:38 am

I'm just a bit concerned about the bolded words. What do you say, Caracasus?
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:
Veskesh wrote:Jeez if Turkey keeps having these coups they'll be kicked out of NATO and won't be able to join the EU....

The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened, but the Confederacy coup didn't cause it to be kicked out, did it?

Tangaliro
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

The International Senate on Human Rights - Application Forum

Postby Tangaliro » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:40 am

Plessur wrote:

I think it depends on his own explanation on examples of such crime.
“In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it, to capture a regiment, a detachment or a company entire than to destroy them. Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.”
-Sun Tzu

A several year old NS user, though always Tangaliro.
You may know me or you may not.
Whatever. :3

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:43 am

Tangaliro wrote:I think it depends on his own explanation on examples of such crime.

He will be questioned :)

We are getting more and more members - yay!
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:

Xenna
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Xenna » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:12 am

Name of nation: Xenna
Current level of civil rights: 72/100 = Excellent
Official stance on freedom of expression: The republic holds the ideals of freedom of expression to be a core value in our society.
Official stance on the freedom to protest: All citizens are allowed to protest against the government or against controversial happenings within the country.
Official stance on the death penalty: The republic has not made the death penalty illegal. However, we have invested heavily in trying to rehabilitate criminals in recent times.
Official stance on torture: Executions are only done to severe criminals who have committed major crimes (murder, terrorism, etc)
Provision of fair trials in your nation: Everybody has a right to a fair trial as guaranteed in our constitution.
Government type: Republic.
Reason for joining the ISHR: Two-folded. One to signify Xenna's continuing progress in improving human rights, and the other to continue it's newfound membership in the MON.
Region (main one if you travel): matrix_of_nations

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:17 am

Xenna wrote:Name of nation: Xenna
Current level of civil rights: 72/100 = Excellent
Official stance on freedom of expression: The republic holds the ideals of freedom of expression to be a core value in our society.
Official stance on the freedom to protest: All citizens are allowed to protest against the government or against controversial happenings within the country.
Official stance on the death penalty: The republic has not made the death penalty illegal. However, we have invested heavily in trying to rehabilitate criminals in recent times.
Official stance on torture: Executions are only done to severe criminals who have committed major crimes (murder, terrorism, etc)
Provision of fair trials in your nation: Everybody has a right to a fair trial as guaranteed in our constitution.
Government type: Republic.
Reason for joining the ISHR: Two-folded. One to signify Xenna's continuing progress in improving human rights, and the other to continue it's newfound membership in the MON.
Region (main one if you travel): matrix_of_nations

ACCEPTED! Unless there are any objections. Please feel free to join the Senate thread of the ISHR.
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:21 am

Plessur wrote:

Hmm. Well, given that their civil rights are very high, and that they state the death penalty is only reserved for extreme crimes, provisionally we cannot see too many issues. Whilst Caracasus does not support the death penalty in any case, I understand why a nation would wish to have it in cases of high treason. I say we ask a couple of questions - if it does indeed stand that the death penalty is only reserved in instances of high treason, then I don't have any real issue with it.

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:25 am

Caracasus wrote:Hmm. Well, given that their civil rights are very high, and that they state the death penalty is only reserved for extreme crimes, provisionally we cannot see too many issues. Whilst Caracasus does not support the death penalty in any case, I understand why a nation would wish to have it in cases of high treason. I say we ask a couple of questions - if it does indeed stand that the death penalty is only reserved in instances of high treason, then I don't have any real issue with it.

Hmmm... well... what is treason? That is the main issue. It may not be just criticising government, but what about a Snowden type?
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:

Sri Lankin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sri Lankin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:36 am

Name of nation:Sri Lankin
Current level of civil rights:Below Average(Right On 50)
Official stance on freedom of expression:Supports
Official stance on the freedom to protest:Supports
Official stance on the death penalty:Banned
Official stance on torture:Banned
Provision of fair trials in your nation:The Law Supports Fair trials of any kind.
Government type:Democracy(Kingdom)
Reason for joining the ISHR:To further Contribute on Human Rights,in the Country and the World.
Region (main one if you travel):The Constitutional Union
5.)Total peace, no conflict, total harmony and no real need for military
4.)Heightened security, spying agencies pick up the effort a little
3.)Air and Space forces are prepared to mobilize within 15 minutes
2.)Entire military can deploy within 3 hours of command, some small conflicts may be happening.
1.)War has begun, parts of the military or entire military are actively fighting
0.)War has reached a peak, entire military is mobilized, nuclear warheads and other WMDs have been launched.

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:39 am

Sri Lankin wrote:Name of nation:Sri Lankin
Provision of fair trials in your nation:The Law Supports Fair trials of any kind.
Reason for joining the ISHR:To further Contribute on Human Rights,in the Country and the World.

Well, I would accept, but I first want to discuss this with other ISHR members. You see, members with low human rights records usually sign up for a program where ISHR officials join the government to help improve their human rights standard. Who else thinks we should negotiate a North Banrodesian-style program here?
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:49 am

Plessur wrote:
Caracasus wrote:Hmm. Well, given that their civil rights are very high, and that they state the death penalty is only reserved for extreme crimes, provisionally we cannot see too many issues. Whilst Caracasus does not support the death penalty in any case, I understand why a nation would wish to have it in cases of high treason. I say we ask a couple of questions - if it does indeed stand that the death penalty is only reserved in instances of high treason, then I don't have any real issue with it.

Hmmm... well... what is treason? That is the main issue. It may not be just criticising government, but what about a Snowden type?

Snowden didn't actually give any information to foreign governments, rather he let it be known to the american public.

And treason in my nation is in fact not exactly espionage... espionage will get you in prison (Most likely for at least 30 years-life), while leaking classified information is a lesser offence its max sentence is 30 years.

Treason is defined as "shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort". Much similar to the American definition.
US Air Force E-4

PLESSUR
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby PLESSUR » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:00 am

United States Of Devonta wrote:Snowden didn't actually give any information to foreign governments, rather he let it be known to the american public.

And treason in my nation is in fact not exactly espionage... espionage will get you in prison (Most likely for at least 30 years-life), while leaking classified information is a lesser offence its max sentence is 30 years.

Treason is defined as "shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort". Much similar to the American definition.

Hmmm.... OK, unless anyone objects. Please feel free to join the Senate thread!
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:15 am

Plessur wrote:
Sri Lankin wrote:Name of nation:Sri Lankin

Well, I would accept, but I first want to discuss this with other ISHR members. You see, members with low human rights records usually sign up for a program where ISHR officials join the government to help improve their human rights standard. Who else thinks we should negotiate a North Banrodesian-style program here?

Agreed. We are talking about a newly formed nation here. We will assume that, given they have a moderately decent record of human rights, they will attempt to improve it. I say we help them.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:22 am

United States Of Devonta wrote:
Plessur wrote:

Snowden didn't actually give any information to foreign governments, rather he let it be known to the american public.

Out of interest, has anyone been executed recently (I.E. in the last decade) in your nation, and what were the specifics?

Framptonia
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Framptonia » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:30 am

Name of nation: The Democratic Federal Republics of Framptonia
Official stance on freedom of expression: Guaranteed by constitution
Official stance on the freedom to protest: Guaranteed by constitution
Official stance on the death penalty: Abolished
Official stance on torture: Illegal
Provision of fair trials in your nation: Guaranteed by constitution
Government type: Parliamentary Democracy
Reason for joining the ISHR: The promotion of human rights
Region (main one if you travel): European Union

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:43 am

Framptonia wrote:Name of nation: The Democratic Federal Republics of Framptonia
Official stance on freedom of expression: Guaranteed by constitution
Official stance on the freedom to protest: Guaranteed by constitution
Official stance on the death penalty: Abolished
Official stance on torture: Illegal
Provision of fair trials in your nation: Guaranteed by constitution
Government type: Parliamentary Democracy
Reason for joining the ISHR: The promotion of human rights
Region (main one if you travel): European Union

No issues here at all. Welcome aboard, and please find the link to the senate on the first page! Yay! Loadsa members at the moment.

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:51 am

Caracasus wrote:

Out of interest, has anyone been executed recently (I.E. in the last decade) in your nation, and what were the specifics?

The last time someone was executed in Devonta was 1978, though four people are currently on death row. Three males and one female; all former Devontan Armed Forces officers involved in the invasion of Devonta by the forces of Port Charlotte in 2013. The invasion was fought off after a month long battle. All four where tried in Military court, a form of Federal court.
US Air Force E-4

New Lambeau
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Lambeau » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10 am

Name of nation: Free Land of New Lambeau
Current level of civil rights: Excellent
Official stance on freedom of expression: Supported by legislation
Official stance on the freedom to protest: Supported by legislation
Official stance on the death penalty: Against
Official stance on torture: Against
Provision of fair trials in your nation: Supported by legislation
Government type: Representative Democracy
Reason for joining the ISHR: Maintain and up-hold civil rights of all people around the world
Region (main one if you travel): Union of Sovereign States

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:56 am

Caracasus wrote:

The last time someone was executed in Devonta was 1978, though four people are currently on death row. Three males and one female; all former Devontan Armed Forces officers involved in the invasion of Devonta by the forces of Port Charlotte in 2013. The invasion was fought off after a month long battle. All four where tried in Military court, a form of Federal court.

This alieviates concerns we have, although we would strongly suggest that the four currently on death row are instead imprisoned. Effectively, your nation does not exercise the death penalty as you have not done so in over a decade.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:58 am

New Lambeau wrote:Name of nation: Free Land of New Lambeau
Current level of civil rights: Excellent
Official stance on freedom of expression: Supported by legislation
Official stance on the freedom to protest: Supported by legislation
Official stance on the death penalty: Against
Official stance on torture: Against
Provision of fair trials in your nation: Supported by legislation
Government type: Representative Democracy
Reason for joining the ISHR: Maintain and up-hold civil rights of all people around the world
Region (main one if you travel): Union of Sovereign States

I can't see any issues here - welcome aboard! Please feel free to check out the senate through the link on the first page.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates